PDA

View Full Version : Ravens to work out 3 more Veteran WR's

ccB
05-06-2009, 11:58 AM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravens0506,0,5593604.story

I know I posted a link about Kelley Washington but we are now bringing in Jerry Porter, DJ Hackett, and Tab Perry as well. If we are signing one receiver out of this group I'd prefer Hackett I suppose.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Out of those 3 I'd want Hackett as well. He was fairly productive in Seattle. Anyone want Marvin Harrison?

TACKLE
05-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Out of those 3 I'd want Hackett as well. He was fairly productive in Seattle. Anyone want Marvin Harrison?

For what he'd actually contribute, I think he'd want too much money.

America
05-06-2009, 01:04 PM
I'd go for Hackett. I don't think he can command that big of a contract. It's not like he's been getting a lot of interest.

Ravens1991
05-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I would prefer Hackett as well. I wouldnt mind Harrison but he would probably be asking for a ton.

coordinator0
05-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Hackett is probably the best option if we want a deep threat and somebody that could stick around for a couple years. He's one of the guys I wanted us to go after near the beginning of FA and I still hope we sign him. The other guys are just bleh.

ccB
05-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Here are all four players stats from the last two years.

Jerry Porter Games Played/Started Rec. Rec. Yards Avg. Yards/Catch TDs
2008 (with Jax.) 10/6 11 181 16.5 1
2007 (with Oak.) 16/16 44 705 16 6

Kelley
Washington Games Played/Started Rec. Rec. Yards Avg. Yards/Catch TDs
2008 (with N.E.) 10/0 1 3 3.0 --
2007 (with N.E) 14/0 -- -- -- --

D.J. Hackett Games Played/Started Rec. Rec. Yards Avg. Yards/Catch TDs
2008 (with Car.) 9/2 13 181 13.9 --
2007 (with Sea.) 6/6 32 384 12 3

Tab Perry Games Played/Started Rec. Rec. Yards. Avg. Yards/Catch TDs
2008 (with Mia.) -- -- -- -- --
2007 (with Mia.) 2/1 1 7 7.0 0

I'd still like Hackett out of these four, he's only 27 and still has a little bit of upside. He could be a solidify our current WR core and would be an adequate insurance policy if any of our other guys go down.

niel89
05-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Hackett is the best out of those guys. I also wouldnt mind porter, he had some good years in oakland.

Brent
05-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Couldn't Hackett not hack it (I had to do it) with injuries? I thought he was injury prone. I know he missed like 6-7 games last year.

jkpigskin
05-08-2009, 03:16 AM
look at the sizes of all those guys.. at least 6-2 200... so ozzie knows he lacks size at that position
i like dj hackett and would like to see him as a raven

Don Vito
05-08-2009, 03:44 AM
Hackett is really talented but like Brent said he has had some injuries, I thought he would prove to be a big time pickup opposite Steve Smith in Carolina. If he can stay healthy and be consistent then he could be a force but Hackett has struggled with doing both during his career.

ccB
05-08-2009, 05:42 PM
So DJ Hackett is out of the running after choosing to visit the Texans instead of the Ravens (SUCKER!) and early reports are Porter has appeared sluggish and dropped a few passes. Washington and Perry haven't showed much, for the good or bad.

The dark horse out of camp has been Ernie Wheelwright, he was on the PS last year, the guys is a physical monster (6'5 220lbs) but has iffy hands and is prone to dropping some passes. He is apparently impressing the staff and the media so far though.

Ravens1991
05-08-2009, 06:52 PM
I believe Wheelwright ran a 4.5, which is great for his size. It will be a nice position battle between Wheelwright,Harper,and Riley for the #5 WR spot. I predict one of them is on the team, one is on PS and one is outta here

ChefMike
05-08-2009, 06:57 PM
I know its a name that carries some baggage.. but what about Matt Jones? He was a great deep threat in Jax, he is young, he has potential and he has a good football mind. He has had some off the field issues but I think he needs to just get around some real discipline and professionals.

Ravens1991
05-08-2009, 07:29 PM
I wouldnt be totally opposed. He did have drug charges but that could have been 1 mistake that led to a horrible addiction.

DHVF
05-08-2009, 07:38 PM
So DJ Hackett is out of the running after choosing to visit the Texans instead of the Ravens (SUCKER!) and early reports are Porter has appeared sluggish and dropped a few passes. Washington and Perry haven't showed much, for the good or bad.

The dark horse out of camp has been Ernie Wheelwright, he was on the PS last year, the guys is a physical monster (6'5 220lbs) but has iffy hands and is prone to dropping some passes. He is apparently impressing the staff and the media so far though.
Wow nice to hear about Ernie. The guy was always tremendously skilled, but was continually brought down by concentration lapses. Like many others he'll make the spectacular catch, then follow it up by dropping an easy one. Here's to hoping he continues to impress your staff and makes a solid contribution for the Ravens next year.

coordinator0
05-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I know its a name that carries some baggage.. but what about Matt Jones? He was a great deep threat in Jax, he is young, he has potential and he has a good football mind. He has had some off the field issues but I think he needs to just get around some real discipline and professionals.

I wouldn't exactly call him a great deep threat lol (unless you look at his Madden ratings where he BEASTED).

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=0011&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&season=2008&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Jones is 16th on that list (in the AFC). He had 9 catches of over 20 yards and none of over 40 last year. And he only averaged just over 11 yds. a catch. I wouldn't say he's the kind of guy we need, nor do I want him. Too many question marks and he hasn't been very productive.

ccB
05-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Reports from camp are Kelley Washington has been the most impressive WR out of the 3 veterans we have brought in. I think his ability to play ST paired with him outshining Perry and Porter will = a spot on the roster.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Reports from camp are Kelley Washington has been the most impressive WR out of the 3 veterans we have brought in. I think his ability to play ST paired with him outshining Perry and Porter will = a spot on the roster.

Yeah, but I doubt any of em make the team. I also heard Marcus Smith is really stepping it up, he's getting alot of reps with the first team and doing a great job. I'm starting to get high on this guy, haha. Here's how I see our WR corp shaping out-

WR1- Derrick Mason
WR2- Mark Clayton
WR3- Demetrius Williams
WR4- Marcus Smith
WR5- Ernie Wheelwright/Eron Riley/Kelley Washington.

As of now, I think the bolded 4 are pretty much set. (as of now)

ccB
05-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, but I doubt any of em make the team. I also heard Marcus Smith is really stepping it up, he's getting alot of reps with the first team and doing a great job. I'm starting to get high on this guy, haha. Here's how I see our WR corp shaping out-

WR1- Derrick Mason
WR2- Mark Clayton
WR3- Demetrius Williams
WR4- Marcus Smith
WR5- Ernie Wheelwright/Eron Riley/Kelley Washington.

As of now, I think the bolded 4 are pretty much set. (as of now)

Marcus Smith is working with the 1st team because Mason and Clayton are out and D-Will still isn't 100%. I read a quote from Harbaugh that said one of Washington/Porter/Perry will make the team. So if he sticks by his word I think it will be Washington.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Marcus Smith is working with the 1st team because Mason and Clayton are out and D-Will still isn't 100%. I read a quote from Harbaugh that said one of Washington/Porter/Perry will make the team. So if he sticks by his word I think it will be Washington.

Oh darn, thats disapointing, I'd rather us take a guy whos younger and has more potential like Riley or Wheelright. I guess Harbaugh really does like great special teamers.

Ravens1991
05-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Riley was a gunner on special teams at Duke. I wonder how he is looking at camp

America
05-10-2009, 09:06 PM
On the team website, there has been a lot of talk about Marcus Smith. I'm excited about what he can bring to the team. Even if one of those other guys makes it, it's not likely they get much PT. I mean, even with D Will out half the year, our #3 WR didn't catch a pass except for the 1 catch by Figurs. In the playoffs, only Mason and Clayton caught passes from the WR position. I don't expect really anything from these tryout guys except ST.

Ravens1991
05-10-2009, 09:17 PM
ya Aaron Wilson from Carroll county times on the radio said that Smith was looking impressive. I liked the pick in the begining, then in the off-season I didnt think he was going to develop, but now reports are he is looking nice

ccB
05-11-2009, 01:00 AM
Oh darn, thats disapointing, I'd rather us take a guy whos younger and has more potential like Riley or Wheelright. I guess Harbaugh really does like great special teamers.

Here is the quote I was talking about,

To be fair, we would like to sign at least one guy, But it depends on their situation and what else they have going on. It's just hard to predict right now. But we liked all three guys.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravenswrs510,0,4358926.story