PDA

View Full Version : Best Commissioner in Big 4

Manic Depressant
05-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Who do you think is the best commissioner out of the big 4 sports and why?

tjsunstein
05-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Really good question.
I might be in the minority here but I like Goodell.
Selig has that steroids era on his back.
Stern's sport isn't the most popular and all he did in recent memory was fail with the new ball and expand the first round series. Meh.
Bettman had to cancel a season in the last 5 years. Not good.

Brent
05-06-2009, 03:52 PM
I went with Bettman. Even with low US TV ratings, the NHL seems to run smoothly.

Calvin & Kevin
05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Bettman? Are you serious?

Oh I see you're in Texas, so you might not know. Trust me, the NHL is not the best run league.

I voted Goodell, but that's kind of like voting Roethlisberger the best among recent rookie QB's - he stepped into by far the best situation. We'll see how he does in this upcoming labor negotiation.

Borat
05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
There should really be an option 5: They all suck. That's the only vote I'd make.

Manic Depressant
05-06-2009, 03:59 PM
There should really be an option 5: They all suck. That's the only vote I'd make.

Well I guess the question is who sucks the least. ;)

cdub11
05-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Definatley NOT Bud Selig

Shane P. Hallam
05-06-2009, 04:10 PM
I think Stern has done a lot to change the NBA's image and done a great job with it.

Dr. Gonzo
05-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Goodell is such a nice ******* guy in person that I had to vote for him. THis is also after I hated the man so much for a while because of some crazy fines he handed out. After meeting him though and looking at the other options there is no way I can vote against him.

TitleTown088
05-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I went with Bettman. Even with low US TV ratings, the NHL seems to run smoothly.

So well run that a team franchise for bankruptcy this week.

Shane P. Hallam
05-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Goodell is such a nice ******* guy in person that I had to vote for him. THis is also after I hated the man so much for a while because of some crazy fines he handed out. After meeting him though and looking at the other options there is no way I can vote against him.

You didn't meet him. You just touched his shoulder and screamed like a little girl.

Brent
05-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Oh I see you're in Texas, so you might not know. Trust me, the NHL is not the best run league.
Haha, well I like hockey as a sport and love watching the Stars but outside that I couldn't give a **** about it.

Dr. Gonzo
05-06-2009, 04:16 PM
You didn't meet him. You just touched his shoulder and screamed like a little girl.

Sort of true. We had a short chat and he was ******* awesome. I then proceeded to scream like a girl and have yet to wash the areas he touched on me (I will not divulge where).

Eaglez.Fan
05-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Bettman is by far the worst. I went with Goodell.

Hurricanes25
05-06-2009, 04:35 PM
I dont like any of them but at least I could put up with Stern.

Jensen
05-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Gary Bettman is ******* atrocious. I can't wait until the day he is no longer NHL commissioner.

CJSchneider
05-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Sort of true. We had a short chat and he was ******* awesome. I then proceeded to scream like a girl and have yet to watch the areas he touched on me (I will not divulge where).

You haven't look at them at all?

fenikz
05-06-2009, 05:02 PM
No clue how Stern is getting any votes

msolimani
05-06-2009, 05:09 PM
It's easily Goodell, but like someone said above he has hands down walked into the best situation. Bettman does an absolutely awful job of marketing his sport so for that alone it can't be him. Stern has done a solid job reshaping the image of the league, but under Stern we have seen the NBA go from a fun to watch contact sport to a hard to watch finesse game. Selig had to go through the entire steroids thing, but I don't know how much of that was his fault or just a product of bad luck.

I just hope Goodell can get a labor agreement together before we either have a strike or uncapped season.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
05-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Bettman sucks.
Stern has done wonders for the league financially(or maybe that was just the star explosion of the 80s), but there are a lot of murmurs of game fixing and such around the game right now that reallly hurts the NBA perception.

Goodell runs by far the most popular sport, and although a lot of people don't like his suspensions and punishments he's at least taking action to stop it from spiralling out of control.

Selig sucks.

I vote Goodell.

Dr. Gonzo
05-06-2009, 05:13 PM
You haven't look at them at all?

I feel like a ******* idiot.

yodabear
05-06-2009, 05:16 PM
1. Goodell
2. Stern
3. Selig
4. Bettman

CashmoneyDrew
05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
E: None of the above.

TACKLE
05-06-2009, 05:22 PM
I voted for Stern but now I think I should have voted for Goodell. My voted was based most on who has ****** up the least instead of who's done the most good. Although I strongly disagree with Goodell suspending players before they've been proven guilty, he has brought some positive changes.

JHG722
05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Goodell by default.

MetSox17
05-06-2009, 06:23 PM
David Stern is probably the most overrated person in basketball, he's a total powerhungry douchebag. To be honest, none of these guys are anything to brag about, but if i had to choose, i'd go with Goodell.

The_Dude
05-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Goodell without a doubt.

Yes, he inherited a cash cow but he's been able to expand it while also keeping the players in line for the most part.

Sniper
05-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Gary Bettman got three votes? For shame, people.

Brodeur
05-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Selig and Bettman are so horrifically awful that it's ridiculous. Stern is too much of a star ****** (although I guess that's good for business), and he's quite corrupt. Roger wins by default.

fischbowl
05-06-2009, 10:01 PM
None are really good, per say, I'd say that Goodell's crack down is hurting the league and there is always that risk of losing the strong Tagliabue/Upshaw league to union relationship now that both are gone.

I don't follow basketball.

Both Selig and Bettman are god awful

The Unseen
05-06-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm with the Goodell by default. Maybe Stern.

Also, who's the commish-type in NASCAR? Because NASCAR's one of the big 4, not NHL.

thetedginnshow
05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
David Stern might be the biggest douche of them all, but he certainly knows how to run a league.

Sniper
05-06-2009, 10:11 PM

Also, who's the commish-type in NASCAR? Because NASCAR's one of the big 4, not NHL.

Burn in eternal hell. In order for Nascar to be part of the Big 4, maybe they should make it a real sport, not "turn left for 3 hours".

The Unseen
05-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Burn in eternal hell. In order for Nascar to be part of the Big 4, maybe they should make it a real sport, not "turn left for 3 hours".

woah woah woah

woah.

Don't kill the messenger. I hate NASCAR too.

Splat
05-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Goodell I don't agree with everything he has done but I have liked more then I have disliked.

Beans
05-06-2009, 10:38 PM

Brian France

i really dont like the direction he's taken the sport, what with the chase and other things, so i wouldnt vote for him either :/

the decider13
05-06-2009, 10:52 PM
I love how selig has no votes

ironman4579
05-06-2009, 11:10 PM
I can't believe Bettman got any votes. He may be the worst commisioner of any sport ever. In his tenure the NHL has seen two work stoppages, one shortening the season by half, the other cancelling the entire season.

He is responsible for the rapid expansion of the league throughout the southern US. This isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but when half those teams can't support themselves, it's a problem. One of the most notorious cases was Carolina. Before the move/expansion, the NHL played neutral site games in some of the cities bidding for franchises. Hamilton, Ontario drew an estimated 50,000+ to their game. Carolina drew less than 4,000. Who got the franchise? And Carolina is one of the teams that is now struggling.

On top of that, he's too stubborn to realize it or admit he was wrong. This can be seen in the case of Jim Balsillie. He has attempted to purchase 3 teams now (Pittsburgh, Nashville, and now Phoenix) and move them to Southern Ontario. The NHL blocked the first two attempts, and I expect a fight on the third as well. This is despite the fact that the 6 Canadian teams generate 33.3% of the NHL's revenue, with the majority of the rest being generated by the american original 6 teams (Boston, New York, Chicago, Detroit). You could put a team in Saskatchewan (population just over 1 million) and it's going to generate more revenue than some of these southern teams.

I could go on and on about this guy, but he's easily the worst commisioner in sports, and it's really not even close IMO.

BeerBaron
05-07-2009, 12:33 AM
No votes for Selig.....lol.

I voted Goodell because I think he is doing a good job for the most part.....but really, it's almost him by default. The only other one I even gave consideration to was Stern.

Selig. Steroids. No.

Bettman. Lockout. No.

Two automatic outs in my book.

Stern didn't have any really huge knock against him I didn't think, and the NBA does do some things better than the NFL (rookie scale for instance) but the NFL is the premiere sport these days and whether you believe Goodell merely stepped into a good spot or not, he's done well to keep it going at a high level.

These upcoming labor negotiations might hurt him though....I pray they get resolved quickly and reasonably.

BigBanger
05-07-2009, 01:15 AM
Goodell by default.

Mr. Hero
05-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Betman's turrible, Stern's running the WWE basketball edition, Goodell is the worst at handing out suspensions and bud selig's bud selig. Da **** is with american sports commissioners?

Stern is as bad as Bettman and Selig, he's let officiating get so bad that you need a star player just not to get blown out by the refs.

E-Man
05-07-2009, 02:00 AM
I don't agree with Goodell on several things, but I can't say that he's done a terrible job in his short tenure. Time will tell with him.

I hate David Stern. He is one of the few people I've never met that I actually say that about. The whole 'league image" thing is total bull, and NBA games are highly "influenced" by soft calls. I get sick of seeing people try to draw fouls.

Selig is pretty well disliked, and the steroids scandal hangs high over him. There was also that strike that happened on his watch too IIRC. I don't watch baseball anymore though.

I don't watch hockey, but even I know that Bettman is horrendous.

My choice is Dana White and Scott Coker......err Goodell.

KCJ58
05-07-2009, 02:35 AM
haha no one voted for Bud Selig not even as a joke

KCJ58
05-07-2009, 02:35 AM
haha no one voted for Bud Selig not even as a joke