PDA

View Full Version : Whats your major/line of work?

Pages : [1] 2

d34ng3l021
05-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Many of us here have jobs or are college students so I was just wondering what type of work or major everyone is a part of.

I am a psychology major but am trying to get into med school.

Manic Depressant
05-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Business major aka straight cash homey.

CC.SD
05-06-2009, 04:33 PM
I was a psych major too but now I'm one of the finest PR reps out there.

YAYareaRB
05-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Communications. I hope to get into Broadcast Journalism and Idaho State's program is top notch. Maybe if I can't pursue a pro football career I can still be involved in sports.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-06-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm a music/sound engineering major.

HawkeyeFan
05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Web Graphics Design..

jayceheathman
05-06-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm an Economics major with a minor in Cinematography. I may make it a double major. Two completely different subjects.

CJSchneider
05-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Majored in Health and Human Performance (Education)
Double Minor - Military Science and Computer Literacy

I teach an elective, computer based math and language class at a middle school and have certifications in P.E., computer literacy, and English/ Language Arts.

YAYareaRB
05-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm an Economics major with a minor in Cinematography. I may make it a double major. Two completely different subjects.

Cinematography is ******* sick! I took a film appreciation class and learned about it.

jayceheathman
05-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Cinematography is ******* sick! I took a film appreciation class and learned about it.

Its a really fun field and right now I am doing editing classes. We learned how to put what we edit onto a dvd and make it look exactly like one you would get from Best Buy. Its pretty sweet. The one hard part is getting into the classes because there aren't too many of them at my university and right when the classes open up they are mostly taken within the first day. I can wait until the day before school starts and still be able to get into an Economics class.

Beans
05-06-2009, 05:04 PM
going into college next year for graphic design

irishbucsfan
05-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Just about to finish my 3rd year of a 6 year Medical degree.

TitleTown088
05-06-2009, 05:08 PM
History and Geography Major.

diabsoule
05-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Majored in History (American & Military)
Minored in Theater, Communications, Poli Sci, & International Studies

I am now a bank teller with aspirations of joining the military, making a career out of it, and pursuing my education further.

derza222
05-06-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm a math major, hoping to use that to get into business of some sort but teaching/statistics aren't awful fallbacks.

tjsunstein
05-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Finishing up my freshmen year still undecided.

diabsoule
05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
History and Geography Major.

What kind of history are you interested in?

jayceheathman
05-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Just about to finish my 3rd year of a 6 year Medical degree.

My brother is a junior in medical school and wants to be a psychiatrist because they get pretty good pay and normal 8 to 5 hours. He thought at first he wanted to become one of the filthy rich doctors that do surgery all the time but he has now realized he cant stand surgery because of the hours they have. He had to show up at the hospital at 6am and his shift ended at noon the following day. He is now in the OB/GYN portion of med school and cant wait for it to get over. He said that one girl weighed 350 pounds and they had to play "find the vagina." haha Then he said another lady came in with warts that they had to burn off with a laser.

The Dynasty
05-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Im currently a Business Major but when I transfer after next semester I hope to switch to Sports Management.

yodabear
05-06-2009, 05:21 PM
I went the first two years thinking about Journalism and Mass Communications. Thinking about switching however.

TACKLE
05-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Im currently a Business Major but when I transfer after next semester I hope to switch to Sports Management.

Although Sports Management sounds like a sick program, what does one do with a degree in sports management?

VoteLynnSwan
05-06-2009, 05:28 PM
mechanical engineering

Brent
05-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Majored in English with an emphasis in Rhetoric.
Currently, I substitute teach and hope to be teaching HS in the fall.

Beans
05-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Although Sports Management sounds like a sick program, what does one do with a degree in sports management?

manage sports

stuff like gm'ing and such, i suppose, i dont really know

nrk
05-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Technically Nursing because I haven't changed it to Computer Science yet.

irishbucsfan
05-06-2009, 05:32 PM
My brother is a junior in medical school and wants to be a psychiatrist because they get pretty good pay and normal 8 to 5 hours. He thought at first he wanted to become one of the filthy rich doctors that do surgery all the time but he has now realized he cant stand surgery because of the hours they have. He had to show up at the hospital at 6am and his shift ended at noon the following day. He is now in the OB/GYN portion of med school and cant wait for it to get over. He said that one girl weighed 350 pounds and they had to play "find the vagina." haha Then he said another lady came in with warts that they had to burn off with a laser.

Yeah everyone jokes and says 'oho you wanna be a gynaecologist?'. They don't realise that what you see are the nasty ones. I'm thinking about going into oncology, because I'm very interested in cancer genetics in terms of research, and I think I have good mentality for the rigors of that specialty. It's not a pretty one, but you can do a lot of good.

The Dynasty
05-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Yeah well its mainly towards managing sports but theres many things you can do with this major..This is from the schools website:

Job opportunities exist within the sport management profession in such positions as (among others): advertising director, athletic director (associate or assistant), commentator for radio/television, community recreation manager, golf course director, corporate or industrial fitness director, country club manager, development (fundraising) director, director of sales, director of marketing, equipment room manager, buildings and grounds director, facility manager, sales, financial or business manager, fitness club manager, director of scouting, director of camps, college or university intramural director, media relations director, personnel director, facilities planner, publications director, equipment manufacture manager, photo journalist, press relations director, promotions and fundraising director, public relations director, public address announcer, director of security, sports club manager, sports information director, sport journalist, sport statistician, stadium or arena manager, ticket operations manager, travel secretary, etc.

Sniper
05-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Spanish major, Journalism minor.

Yatta!
05-06-2009, 05:56 PM
French & German major.

brat316
05-06-2009, 06:00 PM
mechanical engineering

Hook it up with a job or internship man.

I;m a Mechanical Engineering Student at Temple

Ravens1991
05-06-2009, 06:04 PM
I will be at York College next year. Majoring in social studies secondary ed.

YAYareaRB
05-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Its a really fun field and right now I am doing editing classes. We learned how to put what we edit onto a dvd and make it look exactly like one you would get from Best Buy. Its pretty sweet. The one hard part is getting into the classes because there aren't too many of them at my university and right when the classes open up they are mostly taken within the first day. I can wait until the day before school starts and still be able to get into an Economics class.

That's sick bro.. Best of luck with whatever you choose

tjsunstein
05-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I think I want to do Football Scouting and Video Editing therefore I'm probably going the Sports Management route.

JHG722
05-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Sports management major, business minor. Might add another major or minor eventually.

VoteLynnSwan
05-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Hook it up with a job or internship man.

I;m a Mechanical Engineering Student at Temple

i shoulda said major... i'm a junior. I'm trying to find an internship myself.

MetSox17
05-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Finance major.

Brent
05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Finance major.
I'm sorry.

MetSox17
05-06-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm sorry.

I chose it three years ago, so i'm too far in to go back. There's sunshine after every rainy day!.... i hope... :(

The_Dude
05-06-2009, 06:23 PM
History BA
Special Education ~E/BD License
Social Studies License
Special Education Masters Degree

I teach US History to 8th graders.

RoyHall#1
05-06-2009, 06:25 PM
English major with a Film minor next year.

brat316
05-06-2009, 06:26 PM
i shoulda said major... i'm a junior. I'm trying to find an internship myself.

dude it sucks, there is so many engineering internships online, but they are just there to mess with you. Once you fill them out, you never here back, unless they supposedly filled the spot.

aNYtitan
05-06-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm getting my B.S. in Geology. Why? IDK

05-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Geography and Sociology Major.

AntoinCD
05-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally done a degree in Politics then dropped out. Then done a degree in History and dropped out. Now I work for the regional water servise. Its awesome :rolleyes:

TitleTown088
05-06-2009, 06:49 PM
What kind of history are you interested in?

Used to be very intested in Modern/ Early Modern European history, and I still am. Lately, however. I have found myself becoming increasingly interested in Early Christian/Jewish History. It's just such a foreign subject to me I feel like I blow my mind every time I study it. I also have a couple great professors who are very smart. Sadly, I'll be done w my history degree in a week and won't get to study too much more history until Grad school ( hopefully).

Chucky
05-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Next year I will be goingto school to get my bcomm/NBA as well as possibly getting a BA(honors) in global studies

05-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Next year I will be goingto school to get my bcomm/NBA as well as possibly getting a BA(honors) in global studies

Did you decide where you wanna go yet?

Chucky
05-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Did you decide where you wanna go yet?

Im leaning strongly towards ivey right now, because I can get my ivey degree as well as an honors BA in global studies in 5 years.

TitleTown088
05-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Buisness school. Ha.

I did not go to business school. You know who else didn't go to business school? LeBron James, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant.

Chucky
05-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Used to be very intested in Modern/ Early Modern European history, and I still am. Lately, however. I have found myself becoming increasingly interested in Early Christian/Jewish History. It's just such a foreign subject to me I feel like I blow my mind every time I study it. I also have a couple great professors who are very smart. Sadly, I'll be done w my history degree in a week and won't get to study too much more history until Grad school ( hopefully).

Jewish history is interseting. I've taken as many courses in Jewish history as we can throughout highschool

D-Unit
05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

JHG722
05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Buisness school. Ha.

I did not go to business school. You know who else didn't go to business school? LeBron James, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant.

Yeah, but Kobe did go to the best HS in the country :D

(forget The Office ;))

OneToughGame
05-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm a comcast installer... :)

brat316
05-06-2009, 07:22 PM

help me get free cable

tjsunstein
05-06-2009, 07:24 PM

Get me my NFL Network back.

OneToughGame
05-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Get me my NFL Network back.

It's still playing on comcast. They're in discussions about it and keeping in on throughout them :)

Caddy
05-06-2009, 07:26 PM
My major at university is Journalism, but for casual work I sell Oakly sunglasses and clothing!

Thunder&Lightning
05-06-2009, 07:27 PM
took a while to decide but I went with Finance

The Unseen
05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Linguistics in the fall, maaaaaybe Philosophy also. but definitely Linguistics.

locseti
05-06-2009, 07:44 PM
I graduated in '06 with a BA in English Lit, planned on teaching high school. Then I followed the endless winter and was a snowboarding instructor for two years. In the fall I will have an AA in Design Technology from a cc that I have been taking classes at, I eventually want to become an architect, but it's going to take at least 6 years to become licensed. Luckily my dad is an architect so I have a job waiting for me in the midst of this terrible economy.

If I was to give any advice about majors and such I fully endorse civil engineering. It's the coolest field, several of my friends do this for a living and they absolutely love it. The cad guys do all the technical work, you just overlook what they do and design. You get to be outside half the day, driving jobsite to jobsite. Not to mention the pay is killer and it's super easy to get a job in that field, even during this economy. Civil Engineers are always in demand, and it's interesting work.

E-Man
05-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm in sales and marketing, and have been the past 4 years. I spent some time in college, but I didn't finish due to money issues. I was wasting my time there anyway. I never knew what I wanted to do until sales came along.

kiranadwaney
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
In England we dont do a major or minor, we just do a degree. In my final year of BSc in Investment & Financial Risk Management, but no jobs at the moment, so next year going to do my masters in Investment Management with the hope that one day jobs in finance exist once again.

Paul
05-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Working towards a BBA in Management.

Mr. Hero
05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I was a Biology major but after quitting my job at RPCI I'm done with that. Currently undecided but going to be media studies (film production) major next year. Going to be working in telemarketing or if my buddy is able to get me a job I'll be driving a limo this summer while trying to get as many jobs as a grip or any other entry level position in production and see where that leaves me next semester.

bernbabybern820
05-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Nutrition and food sciences w/ concentration in Dietetics but i'm going to an accelerated Nursing program after i graduate. (Senior next year)

Technically Nursing because I haven't changed it to Computer Science yet.

Why are you getting out of nursing?

scottyboy
05-06-2009, 09:10 PM
going to RU next year majoring in sports management. word

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-06-2009, 09:12 PM
What are some good jobs you can get with a degree in Business management? accouting?

jayceheathman
05-06-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm sorry.

haha I thought the same thing and he got the same replies the last time a similar thread came up. I had to take a Finance class and thought I would be good at it considering I am an Econ major but it was not a fun class. Its like calculus. It took like one whole sheet of paper just to write one problem out and figure out the answer.

jayceheathman
05-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Nutrition and food sciences w/ concentration in Dietetics but i'm going to an accelerated Nursing program after i graduate. (Senior next year)

You can make some good money in nursing and you dont have to go through all of the schooling that doctors have to go through. You could get a job immediately as well since there is always a need for people in the medical field.

Strongside
05-06-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm a senior in highschool right now, next year I'm going into university for Kinesiology, then I'll probably go into Athletic Therapy or Physiotherapy.

MetSox17
05-06-2009, 09:20 PM
What are some good jobs you can get with a degree in Business management? accouting?

If you go into a Business School, go into something specific (Finance, Economics, Accounting), at least that's what i'd recommend. It's much easier to find a job when you have a specific trade you studied.

Hawk
05-06-2009, 09:48 PM
http://i.ehow.com/images/ehows/steps/caulk3L.jpg

That's what I do now, but I'm working towards a business degree.

rockio42
05-06-2009, 09:51 PM
going to RU next year majoring in sports management. word

I'm going to Mizzou and will most likely be majoring in Journalism (with an emphasis on broadcasting) and either double-majoring or minoring in sports manangement. word

P.S. I'll see you at ESPN in 10 years Scotty

jayceheathman
05-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm going to Mizzou and will most likely be majoring in Journalism (with an emphasis on broadcasting) and either double-majoring or minoring in sports manangement. word

P.S. I'll see you at ESPN in 10 years Scotty

He will be too busy dating Ray Rice.

Beans
05-06-2009, 09:55 PM
in addition to the aforementioned graphic design major, im planning on minoring in japanese

fischbowl
05-06-2009, 09:58 PM
I work in baseball, motherfuckas

And for y'all planning on taking sports management, don't, just do straight up business

scottyboy
05-06-2009, 10:00 PM

And for y'all planning on taking sports management, don't, just do straight up business

NO! business blows. i will dominate in the sports management field

fischbowl
05-06-2009, 10:02 PM
NO! business blows. i will dominate in the sports management field

Anyone in my field would agree with my sentiment. A degree in sports management is likely to get you nowhere. By all means minor in it, but business is much more applicable

TheBuffaloBills
05-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I mop floors at a dry cleaner. I have to wear a button down shirt with pants, just to mop. It doesn't make sense. It gets so fricking hot there in the summer. I hate my job.

MetSox17
05-06-2009, 10:03 PM
I mop floors at a dry cleaner. I have to wear a button down shirt with pants, just to mop. It doesn't make sense. It gets so fricking hot there in the summer. I hate my job.

Become a professional competitive eater, with a concentration in hot wings.

The Unseen
05-06-2009, 10:04 PM
in addition to the aforementioned graphic design major, im planning on minoring in japanese

GIRUGAMESH

JHG722
05-06-2009, 10:06 PM

What do you do?

Anyone in my field would agree with my sentiment. A degree in sports management is likely to get you nowhere. By all means minor in it, but business is much more applicable

It'll get you nowhere if it's a bad program with no connections. Luckily, we have 100% job placement, and alums in high positions with teams like the Rays, Dodgers, Pirates, Phillies, numerous minor league teams and teams in other sports.

jayceheathman
05-06-2009, 10:07 PM

You should put that on fmylife.com

senormysterioso
05-06-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm in the Army now. I majored in criminal justice and history with a minor in English literature.

The Unseen
05-06-2009, 10:13 PM
You should put that on fmylife.com

stuff to fmylife.com has to be submitted in the "Today,...FML" format. I guess you could fit it in there (Today, I went to my sucky job, etc.), but I've always disliked that.

fischbowl
05-06-2009, 10:15 PM
What do you do?

It'll get you nowhere if it's a bad program with no connections. Luckily, we have 100% job placement, and alums in high positions with teams like the Rays, Dodgers, Pirates, Phillies, numerous minor league teams and teams in other sports.

I'm a statistician at mlb.com

Temple seems to be an exception, great school for sports and hospitality management. But then again, 100% job placement could be deceiving...for all you know some poor kid got placed as a concessions worker

The Unseen
05-06-2009, 10:16 PM
I work at a clothing store, btw. It's boring as hell (no, really) but the pay is great so it's awesome, really.

scottyboy
05-06-2009, 10:16 PM

but i suck at business and all those classes are so boring. psych and socialogy are so much better than those gay business classes

JHG722
05-06-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm a statistician at mlb.com

Temple seems to be an exception, great school for sports and hospitality management. But then again, 100% job placement could be deceiving...for all you know some poor kid got placed as a concessions worker

I know the dean personally, so I know what kinds of graduates are getting in the field and they're very solid. I have options right now from Florida, to California, to Pennsylvania, to Idaho and etc. It's pretty nice all things considered.

scottyboy
05-06-2009, 10:18 PM
What do you do?

or you could have an aunt who has the most ridiculous connections in the NFL ever, which rules

JHG722
05-06-2009, 10:19 PM
or you could have an aunt who has the most ridiculous connections in the NFL ever, which rules

Well yeah, I have a bunch of connections with the Eagles, but I'd rather work in baseball, even if it means minor league baseball in Idaho.

The Unseen
05-06-2009, 10:19 PM
but i suck at business and all those classes are so boring. psych and socialogy are so much better than those gay business classes

You wanna get paid?

Take linguistics classes.

j/k. I'm gonna be so ******* poor if I do what I'm wanting right now and go into the field for a PhD.

can I get a TENURED

diabsoule
05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
http://i.ehow.com/images/ehows/steps/caulk3L.jpg

That's what I do now, but I'm working towards a business degree.

You lay the caulk? We all know that but what do you do for a living?

scottyboy
05-06-2009, 10:21 PM
You wanna get paid?

j/k. I'm gonna be so ******* poor if I do what I'm wanting right now and go into the field for a PhD.

can I get a TENURED

here's the plan: you go into sports medicine. I major in sports management. My aunt hooks me up with Armstead/Strahan/someone in the NFL to get me a management job. I work my way up through the Giants ranks, and you become the head trainer. sound good?

fischbowl
05-06-2009, 10:25 PM

Sports Management is predominantly business anyways Scotty....forgot about your aunt's connections.

The Unseen
05-06-2009, 10:25 PM
here's the plan: you go into sports medicine. I major in sports management. My aunt hooks me up with Armstead/Strahan/someone in the NFL to get me a management job. I work my way up through the Giants ranks, and you become the head trainer. sound good?

Sounds good.

ummm...

UF doesn't have Sports Medicine.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

scottyboy
05-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Sounds good.

ummm...

UF doesn't have Sports Medicine.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

**** that, we don't need a liscensed trainer!

scottyboy
05-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Sports Management is predominantly business anyways Scotty....forgot about your aunt's connections.

i know. I'm strongly considering taking some minor law courses, perhaps minoring in law if possible, and try aiming at a sports agent. Jessie Armstead was talking with Drew the shark and may be going into his field and working with him, so that could be a possibility.

757Dawg
05-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Majoring in Biology with dual minors in Marine Biology and Chemistry.

Planning on getting into forensic science tech work or, since I live on the coast, marine type work.

JHG722
05-06-2009, 10:30 PM
i know. I'm strongly considering taking some minor law courses, perhaps minoring in law if possible, and try aiming at a sports agent.

Dont waste your time; it's harder to become an agent than a player.

Mr. Hero
05-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Majoring in Biology with dual minors in Marine Biology and Chemistry.

Planning on getting into forensic science tech work or, since I live on the coast, marine type work.

If you're going into Biology you've gotta go into drug development, that's where the big bucks are.

Damix
05-06-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm a technical analyst. If I had to guess, I make more then 99.9% of SWDC.

I'm a little cocky as well.

A Perfect Score
05-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Im an English Major, with a focus on Creative Writing which starts next year (2nd) and a Communications Minor, with an Advertising Stream which starts next year as well. Should be super fun.

And as of right now, I have no job. But last summer I helped coach Pee Wee football, which was ballin'.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-06-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm a technical analyst. If I had to guess, I make more then 99.9% of SWDC.

What do you have to do to become a technical analyst?

Beans
05-06-2009, 11:06 PM
pink font is key

CJSchneider
05-06-2009, 11:07 PM
What do you have to do to become a technical analyst?

Type everything in pink for starters.

Edit: Damn you Beans

Whistler6
05-06-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm an elementary education major with a communications minor. A year left before I'm in the real world teaching a classroom full of little tykes.

Hoping that I am able to find a job right away...

ps. cute pink font

Brent
05-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Linguistics in the fall, maaaaaybe Philosophy also. but definitely Linguistics.
Congrats on choosing to paths that lead to ****** careers.

haha I thought the same thing and he got the same replies the last time a similar thread came up. I had to take a Finance class and thought I would be good at it considering I am an Econ major but it was not a fun class. Its like calculus. It took like one whole sheet of paper just to write one problem out and figure out the answer.
Both my roommates are Finance majors and they basically studied all the time. I felt bad for them because I'd drink half a bottle of wine, crank out a paper while getting an A while they slaved away at a B haha.

Im an English Major, with a focus on Creative Writing which starts next year (2nd) and a Communications Minor, with an Advertising Stream which starts next year as well. Should be super fun.
Lies. You hate your life.

The Unseen
05-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Congrats on choosing to paths that lead to ****** careers.

You wanna get paid?

can I get a TENURED

I'm well aware of my poor career choice.

Brent
05-06-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm well aware of my poor career choice.
linguistics leads to an academia career

The Unseen
05-07-2009, 12:00 AM
linguistics leads to an academia career

Yep. ergo poor.

Jensen
05-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Sport management, I work with a minor league baseball team in the summer and a surf shop year round.

Halsey
05-07-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm a Psych major and work as a security guard part time.

A Perfect Score
05-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Lies. You hate your life.

I hate YOUR life! HA!

05-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Im leaning strongly towards ivey right now, because I can get my ivey degree as well as an honors BA in global studies in 5 years.

That would be such an awesome choice. Good man.

terribletowel39
05-07-2009, 07:29 AM
I work at Chase in the MERS department. Yes, I know you don't know what that is. It is boring. But decent money. Yay for me. College sucks. :)

awfullyquiet
05-07-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm a technical analyst. If I had to guess, I make more then 99% of SWDC.

fify. you still make less than subnoize and myself. got to watch your significant figures... seniority biaaatch.

i work as a project manager and technical planner for a consluting firm (yes consluting firm).

Damix
05-07-2009, 11:01 AM
fify. you still make less than subnoize and myself. got to watch your significant figures... seniority biaaatch.

i work as a project manager and technical planner for a consluting firm (yes consluting firm).

5000 members at SWDC. Still stick by my estimate.

Manic Depressant
05-07-2009, 11:02 AM

You make more money than a bunch of high school and college kids? Congrats.

kwilk103
05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
journalism major (specifically print media; theres like 5 different 'tracks' at wvu journalism school)

political science minor

will be a senior next year; then hopefully grad school for poli sci

UKfan
05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Have a Maths degree, now doing office work

foozball
05-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Business

going to grad school for supply chain management

awfullyquiet
05-07-2009, 11:07 AM

3 out of 5k... i only count the average 200 that post throughout the year... semantics at this point and time.

AkiliSmith
05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Deputy Sheriff

Currently assigned to the Jail division. Right now I take out inmates and watch them pick up trash on the side of the road. I get paid to watch other people work.

I would rather be back on the road violating people's rights though, but I don't quite have enough seniority for that yet.

D-Unit
05-07-2009, 11:50 AM

LOL. That's funny. What did you mean by that "consluting" firm? You work for some *****?

Props to you and subnoize for making the $$$. I wanna know who makes more between you, sub and damix.

Damix, if you're so cocky... what's the figure? Be honest.

D-Unit
05-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Deputy Sheriff

Currently assigned to the Jail division. Right now I take out inmates and watch them pick up trash on the side of the road. I get paid to watch other people work.

I would rather be back on the road violating people's rights though, but I don't quite have enough seniority for that yet.
That's a hardcore job right there.

TitleTown088
05-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Both my roommates are Finance majors and they basically studied all the time. I felt bad for them because I'd drink half a bottle of wine, crank out a paper while getting an A while they slaved away at a B haha.

If they choose Finance as a major they're likely people who enjoy making scrilla.If they're good at what they do they may be laughing at you in the near future.

Manic Depressant
05-07-2009, 11:57 AM
If they choose Finance as a major they're likely people who enjoy making scrilla.If they're good at what they do they may be laughing at you in the near future.

Not in the near future...

Damix
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Finance as a major sucks. At least here. It is just the people who weren't smart enough to get into accounting.

Manic Depressant
05-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Finance as a major sucks. At least here. It is just the people who weren't smart enough to get into accounting.

Finance is the most competitive field that I know of, aside from perhaps medicine/optometry/pharmacy and a few other highly-specialized areas.

nrk
05-07-2009, 12:15 PM

I think working with sick people (especially if they're irritated) would get to me. I switched to Computer Science to get into programming. It's tedious at times but I like it. I want to go into designing video games eventually.

Donno
05-07-2009, 12:58 PM
I am currently about to declare economics as my major, my first year is about to end and I'm looking for a school to transfer to.

MetSox17
05-07-2009, 01:01 PM

LOL, well you sure got me to crack a smile here. Accounting overall isn't that tough, it's just a very tedious major. It's a hard working job with long hours and you don't even get paid accordingly. Most CPA's make in the 40's-mid 60's, so it's not like they're raking. The sky's the limit in Finance.

D-Unit
05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I think working with sick people (especially if they're irritated) would get to me. I switched to Computer Science to get into programming. It's tedious at times but I like it. I want to go into designing video games eventually.
Good luck. I think every young programmer thought of wanting to do video games at first. Kids dream of it.

I'm sure you'll end up specializing in something else as different opportunities come your way... at least that's what happened for me. :p

I work for a Fortune 500 company now. Computer Sciences Corporation.

D-Unit
05-07-2009, 01:18 PM
How much do you make Damix? You've got me curious now. :)

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-07-2009, 01:40 PM
He makes 110,000 a year

Damix
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
LOL, well you sure got me to crack a smile here. Accounting overall isn't that tough, it's just a very tedious major. It's a hard working job with long hours and you don't even get paid accordingly. Most CPA's make in the 40's-mid 60's, so it's not like they're raking. The sky's the limit in Finance.

Real finance students are Quantitative Finance majors, which is a near impossible 5 year major. The Finance majors here don't get jobs, or if they do it is crap.

How much do you make Damix? You've got me curious now. :)

I do well enough, considering I haven't even graduated yet and this is my first real job. I make a very good salary and received a sizable signing bonus.

JFLO
05-07-2009, 01:47 PM
it was journalism, but my family is trying to talk me out of it because it is really going down hill and doesn't have a great future.

So in other words, I'm still deciding...it sucks

Damix
05-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Good luck. I think every young programmer thought of wanting to do video games at first. Kids dream of it.

I'm sure you'll end up specializing in something else as different opportunities come your way... at least that's what happened for me. :p

I work for a Fortune 500 company now. Computer Sciences Corporation.

Fairly humorous, CSC does a lot of recruiting at my school. I think a few of my friends are working there

princefielder28
05-07-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm majoring in Political Science. I think I'll just end up as a teacher one day, but I do want to work in politics at some point.

d34ng3l021
05-07-2009, 02:02 PM
By the time I am finally out of med school, I am going to make bank guys.

D-Unit
05-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm majoring in Political Science. I think I'll just end up as a teacher one day, but I do want to work in politics at some point.
You should get into Law after you graduate. That's where you can make use of your degree. Teachers are respectable, but the time + work <> $$$.

TitleTown088
05-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Not in the near future...

Haven't you heard? The new brain trust is turning the economy around.

D-Unit
05-07-2009, 02:04 PM
By the time I am finally out of med school, I am going to make bank guys.
Yes my friend, you will. Guaranteed.

wicket
05-07-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm a financial econometrics major and will be a quantative finance master student in a few weeks.

awfullyquiet
05-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Yes my friend, you will. Guaranteed.

you put a down payment on your life to get balls rich later.

themaninblack
05-07-2009, 02:36 PM
I am majoring in Paralegal Studies and I will probably end up going to Law School eventually. Gonna see what kind of money I can make as a Paralegal and it also depends on how I do on the LSAT.

d34ng3l021
05-07-2009, 02:48 PM
you put a down payment on your life to get balls rich later.

Yeah basically. Learning about all these med related issues is interesting, but I hope I get into a med school.

bantx
05-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Majoring in Media Arts: Graphic designing and Photography.

Haven't picked up a camera in almost a year, but still very interested in photography. Hoping to get a SLR in the near future.

El Peefs?????
05-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Computer Information Systems. Pretty close to my associates in it before getting some IT job and transferring to get my bachelors.

Brothgar
05-07-2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.fli-leibniz.de/%7Erake/Bioinformatics_WEB/bioinformatics.gif

JHG722
05-07-2009, 03:22 PM

That's absolutely laughable and not remotely true. My brother will be a freshman at Wharton next year, and possibly a finance major. He got an 'A' in accounting at Johns Hopkins as a junior in high school...

d34ng3l021
05-07-2009, 03:33 PM
That's absolutely laughable and not remotely true. My brother will be a freshman at Wharton next year, and possibly a finance major. He got an 'A' in accounting at Johns Hopkins as a junior in high school...

So you are saying that he got a A in one accounting class at a college known for its med school? Very impressive indeed.

JHG722
05-07-2009, 03:38 PM
So you are saying that he got a A in one accounting class at a college known for its med school? Very impressive indeed.

It's known for more than that, but an 'A' in a class taught by one of the best professors in the country is no joke...

CJSchneider
05-07-2009, 03:38 PM
http://www.fli-leibniz.de/%7Erake/Bioinformatics_WEB/bioinformatics.gif

You got a cure for this swine flu thing yet?

Brothgar
05-07-2009, 03:45 PM
You got a cure for this swine flu thing yet?

Sure I have something that'll kill the swine flu... As long as you don't mind killing the host.

Brent
05-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Funny you should say that because the job I'm likely to take in the Fall pays about as much as they'll be making ;). Hooray suburb schools!

It's a hard working job with long hours and you don't even get paid accordingly. Most CPA's make in the 40's-mid 60's, so it's not like they're raking.
That's very false. My father has a CPA and makes a ton of cash. Also, the kids leaving Mays Business school with an Accounting degree get awesome jobs.

Petroleum Engineering is where the big bucks are. We have the best school for that and my friend already got a job offer paying him like 90k.

d34ng3l021
05-07-2009, 04:01 PM
It's known for more than that, but an 'A' in a class taught by one of the best professors in the country is no joke...

Regardless, its one A in one class and thats it...

JHG722
05-07-2009, 04:48 PM

He got into Wharton. 2360 on the SATs. 35 on the ACTs.

...?

Hawk
05-07-2009, 05:04 PM
You lay the caulk? We all know that but what do you do for a living?

LOL. Laying the caulk is all I do.

Staubach12
05-07-2009, 05:35 PM
LOL. Laying the caulk is all I do.

All I do is lay the caulk. I don't give a SH*T!

Brent
05-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Wharton is like the best buisness school in the US. My roommate wont shut up about it.

Mr. Hero
05-07-2009, 05:37 PM
He got into Wharton. 2360 on the SATs. 35 on the ACTs.

...?

But was he hungover for the SAT and high for the ACT? :D

Staubach12
05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Here are the things I'm interested in studying:

Political Science
Macro Economics
English
Creative Writing
Journalism
Communications
Philosophy
Public Relations

Next year, I'm going to UT (Tennessee). If they had a creative writing major, I might do that, but they only offer that as a minor. So, what's good to major in if I'm looking to go into Journalism or Public Relations as a career, and write fiction on the side? Any advice would be appreciated.

Mr. Hero
05-07-2009, 05:44 PM
The world needs more economists, I mean Neo-Keynesianism has become mainstream, that's just ****** up.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-07-2009, 05:54 PM
The world needs more economists, I mean Neo-Keynesianism has become mainstream, that's just ****** up.

The world needs more economists who study economics from the complex system perspective instead of the static neo-classical method. It needs more of the latter like it needs a nuclear holocaust.

JHG722
05-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Wharton is like the best buisness school in the US. My roommate wont shut up about it.

It's the best bschool in the world. It's comparable to getting into Harvard.

But was he hungover for the SAT and high for the ACT? :D

No. He's not like that at all.

JHG722
05-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Political Science
Macro Economics
English
Creative Writing
Journalism
Communications
Philosophy
Public Relations

Next year, I'm going to UT (Tennessee). If they had a creative writing major, I might do that, but they only offer that as a minor. So, what's good to major in if I'm looking to go into Journalism or Public Relations as a career, and write fiction on the side? Any advice would be appreciated.

Philosophy and creative writing are pretty much worthless as a sole major. Journalism jobs are dwindling. Poli sci is a major where you should go to law school after. Econ, PR and comm are all fine majors.

Brent
05-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Not a Paul Krugman fan are you?

TitleTown088
05-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Funny you should say that because the job I'm likely to take in the Fall pays about as much as they'll be making ;). Hooray suburb schools!

In the long run? A teacher ain't going to make squat compared to someone who is good with finance. I also am likely going to be a teacher.

scottyboy
05-07-2009, 06:09 PM
to sum up this thread:
Damix>you
Hawk lays caulk (it rhymes, I had a blast with that)
broth created the swine flu

TitleTown088
05-07-2009, 06:11 PM
The world needs more historians. The Da Vinci code has become accepted as factual. AH that makes my head want to explode!!!

Put me in a room with Dan Brown literature and the history channel, I'll kill myself. I can't even imagine what it's like being educated like BF51. Everything must appear false.

Mr. Hero
05-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Not a Paul Krugman fan are you?

You know, Krugman is sort of an enigma for me, he's not an idiot and sometimes he almost understands, but then he doesn't which leads him to dangerous conclusions and make him painful to read. Sometimes he's not bad but in general I am definitely not a krugman fan. Then again I loathe Bernanke, geithner, greenspan and almost all mainstream economists because of their dogmatic adherence to courses of action who's negative ramifications should be blatant so Krugman's probably one of my least hated mainstream economists despite my absolute disgust with keynesianism/neo-keynesianism.

No. He's not like that at all.

well his scores aren't that impressive then.

Mr. Hero
05-07-2009, 06:21 PM
The world needs more historians. The Da Vinci code has become accepted as factual. AH that makes my head want to explode!!!

Put me in a room with Dan Brown literature and the history channel, I'll kill myself. I can't even imagine what it's like being educated like BF51. Everything must appear false.

My issue with historians is the statist/interventionist bias that's just permits most of the what I've read, be it text books or articles, that bias there and strong. Not to turn this into a political discussion but FDR and Lincoln are great examples of people who are almost canonized in much of what I've read yet personally I find severe fault in the actions of both that is utterly ignored all too often.

TitleTown088
05-07-2009, 06:22 PM
My issue with historians is the statist/interventionist bias that's just permits most of the what I've read, be it text books or articles, that bias there and strong. Not to turn this into a political discussion but FDR and Lincoln are great examples of people who are almost canonized in much of what I've read yet personally I find severe fault in the actions of both that is utterly ignored all too often.

You need to look harder for more unbiased stuff. It's out there.

Brent
05-07-2009, 06:24 PM
In the long run? A teacher ain't going to make squat compared to someone who is good with finance. I also am likely going to be a teacher.
For me, there is a difference in making an acceptable amount of money and enjoying your job, rather than working 50-60 hour weeks for some company and being stressed out all the time. And, really, I am not someone who's first goal in their career is to simply make money, I'd like to actually have a job that is meaningful and has a social impact. Even if it's only a minor one.

TitleTown088
05-07-2009, 06:26 PM
For me, there is a difference in making an acceptable amount of money and enjoying your job, rather than working 50-60 hour weeks for some company and being stressed out all the time. And, really, I am not someone who's first goal in their career is to simply make money, I'd like to actually have a job that is meaningful and has a social impact. Even if it's only a minor one.

I agree 100%. I stopped business major and turned to history for these reasons. But for someone who is a Finance major scrilla probably plays a big role.

Mr. Hero
05-07-2009, 06:28 PM
You need to look harder for more unbiased stuff. It's out there.

I know, it's just never been my specialization and everytime I've tried I've been stuck with either the statist/interventionist bias or people being way too far on the otherside of the spectrum. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a lot of history, but it's not something I can recommend a man with a clear conscience. I have to many friend who have useless history degrees.

Brent
05-07-2009, 06:28 PM
I agree 100%. I stopped business major and turned to history for these reasons. But for someone who is a Finance major scrilla probably plays a big role.
Yes, because one grew up poor and is a total materialist and the other is probably just going to end up taking over his father's construction contacting buisness, so he's setting himself up nicely to run that buisness. And, with an examination of my own life, I live pretty cheaply and my parents raised me pretty well with regards to spending money. Not to mention, I dont ever want my own children, so there's one huge financial burden I'll not worry about :).

The Unseen
05-07-2009, 06:47 PM
If I go into academia it'll be because I like it. I don't really care for money, just that I have some to live off of. And considering my subject, I'm not going much for the social impact either. Others in the field may disagree, but I find much of the social sciences superfluous. I'm not saying that useful stuff isn't being discovered, but helping people? Nah.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-07-2009, 07:01 PM
...but I find much of the social sciences superfluous. I'm not saying that useful stuff isn't being discovered, but helping people? Nah.

Yeah, **** psychology, law, sociology, education, anthropology, and political science! What did they ever do for me?

kwilk103
05-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Political Science
Macro Economics
English
Creative Writing
Journalism
Communications
Philosophy
Public Relations

does ut have a pr major?

like at wvu, we have about 5 different journalism majors (visual media which is if you want to be on tv; print media---newspaper, mags, etc; advertising; and a pr major); like im in print media; i will graduate from our school of journalism with a journalsim degree in print media

if they have a creative writing minor, you could major in journalism and minor in that

rockio42
05-07-2009, 07:27 PM

your aunt does??

have I ever mentioned how much I like you, scotty

The Unseen
05-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Yeah, **** psychology, law, sociology, education, anthropology, and political science! What did they ever do for me?

yeah, I worded that wrong. I should have just said I don't see how Linguistics really "helps" people, provided understanding ourselves doesn't count.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-07-2009, 07:38 PM
yeah, I worded that wrong. I should have just said I don't see how Linguistics really "helps" people, provided understanding ourselves doesn't count.

Why wouldn't that count?

That's like saying "___ is useless so long as you ignore all the useful stuff".

The Unseen
05-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Why wouldn't that count?

That's like saying "___ is useless so long as you ignore all the useful stuff".

I meant help as in drastically affecting normal people's lives positively. Those things that you mentioned do. Some social sciences don't. That was my badly put point.

steelersfan43
05-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Marine biology is the only major that matters

princefielder28
05-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Marine biology is the only major that matters

http://www.noreast.com/discussion/postImages/118930.jpg

TitleTown088
05-07-2009, 08:36 PM
http://www.noreast.com/discussion/postImages/118930.jpg

Is that a titleist?

Caddy
05-07-2009, 08:40 PM
does ut have a pr major?

like at wvu, we have about 5 different journalism majors (visual media which is if you want to be on tv; print media---newspaper, mags, etc; advertising; and a pr major); like im in print media; i will graduate from our school of journalism with a journalsim degree in print media

if they have a creative writing minor, you could major in journalism and minor in that

Where I study in Australia, The journalism degree covers all mediums and you start learning about them as soon as you start giving you options to pursue online, print, radio, tv, whatever you want.

I like that idea as opposed to narrowing your degree to one particular field.

The Unseen
05-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Is that a titleist?

Hole in one, huh?

BamaFalcon59
05-07-2009, 08:49 PM
I have no idea what I will do as a profession. Unless I can get a dream job, I'm thinking medical. I have a lot of friends who are going into medical, and UAB is the best med school in the southeast.

Probably free tuition (at least) at Bama, Auburn, or UAB. But I need to figure out what I'm doing.

I'm a highschool junior.

kwilk103
05-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Where I study in Australia, The journalism degree covers all mediums and you start learning about them as soon as you start giving you options to pursue online, print, radio, tv, whatever you want.

I like that idea as opposed to narrowing your degree to one particular field.

we have to take general stuff, but then you narrow it

but, you can take other fields as electives if you want

JHG722
05-07-2009, 09:00 PM
UAB is the best med school in the southeast.

That would be Duke and Vanderbilt.

jayceheathman
05-07-2009, 11:05 PM

Teaching really isnt as bad of a profession as people think. For one, name me another profession besides something like pro sports where you get the whole summer off? You also get long winter breaks and spring breaks. Not to mention you get pretty good hours of about 7:30-2:30 in high school and like 8:30-3:30 or so for elementary and middle school. You prep your room for the next day and you go home. If you have kids then its even better because you leave when they leave and you get home when they get home. You dont want elementary school kids having to go home by themselves. Not to mention you dont have to worry whether we are in a recession or not because teachers are always in need as long as people keep having more and more babies. You can also get a summer job or teach summer school to make extra money. Teaching isnt that bad of a deal.

Brent
05-07-2009, 11:08 PM
You're there for more than just the hours you listed. You have to help out before and after school. Not to mention that you have to have tutoring hours, grade papers, plan lessons and such. The one thing about Texas that I find interesting is that you dont participate in Social Security, instead you are part of a different program run through the state. My great aunt taught in Texas for 40 years and her pension was insane.

jayceheathman
05-07-2009, 11:16 PM
You're there for more than just the hours you listed. You have to help out before and after school. Not to mention that you have to have tutoring hours, grade papers, plan lessons and such. The one thing about Texas that I find interesting is that you dont participate in Social Security, instead you are part of a different program run through the state. My great aunt taught in Texas for 40 years and her pension was insane.

Thats true but you also get time while the kids are working to try and get some of that stuff done. Teachers get pretty impressive benefits too. I think professors have it the best. Barely any of them have to show up early in the day, they do a few hours of lectures, sit in their office and do nothing during office hours, then go home. Granted they do have to publish stuff every so often depending on what university and field you are in. They get paid really well and if you teach at a state run/public university then after like 15 years you can retire and receive pay of half of your income every year.

Hawk
05-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Teaching really isnt as bad of a profession as people think. For one, name me another profession besides something like pro sports where you get the whole summer off? You also get long winter breaks and spring breaks. Not to mention you get pretty good hours of about 7:30-2:30 in high school and like 8:30-3:30 or so for elementary and middle school. You prep your room for the next day and you go home. If you have kids then its even better because you leave when they leave and you get home when they get home. You dont want elementary school kids having to go home by themselves. Not to mention you dont have to worry whether we are in a recession or not because teachers are always in need as long as people keep having more and more babies. You can also get a summer job or teach summer school to make extra money. Teaching isnt that bad of a deal.

How about the best of both worlds? A lunch lady! Same hours as the students, summers off, but there's no extra work once you leave the school. My mom's a lunch lady for all the reason jay listed. Say hello mom!

http://lunchlady.us/Mom-Lunch_Lady.jpg

jayceheathman
05-07-2009, 11:36 PM
How about the best of both worlds? A lunch lady! Same hours as the students, summers off, but there's no extra work once you leave the school. My mom's a lunch lady for all the reason jay listed. Say hello mom!

http://lunchlady.us/Mom-Lunch_Lady.jpg

haha That probably is a pretty nice job that I didnt think about. How much do they make?

Mr.Regular
05-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Here in Ontario, being a teacher is like hitting the jackpot. One of the strongest unions in the world (they own the Raptors, Leafs, ACC...possibly the Blue Jays in time...plus they tried to buy our national telephone company), get incredibly fair salaries, more perks then you could imagine, and so much time off they don't know what to do.
I know it's different in the States, but here in Ontario, a teacher is like royalty.

jkpigskin
05-08-2009, 03:19 AM
just finished my second year of college
double majoring in Anthropology & Educational Studies

D-Unit
05-08-2009, 03:56 AM
I know, it's just never been my specialization and everytime I've tried I've been stuck with either the statist/interventionist bias or people being way too far on the otherside of the spectrum. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a lot of history, but it's not something I can recommend a man with a clear conscience. I have to many friend who have useless history degrees.
I know a guy who majored in Hawaiian History.... he now lives on the beach.

Staubach12
05-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Philosophy and creative writing are pretty much worthless as a sole major. Journalism jobs are dwindling. Poli sci is a major where you should go to law school after. Econ, PR and comm are all fine majors.

I had always wanted to do Journalism but the job market has really gone downhill in recent years so now I just don't know. What can I do if I major in Economics? I like economics but what kind of job does that lead to?

Brent
05-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I like economics but what kind of job does that lead to?
Working for a company doing god-knows-what, anything from analysis to low level accounting. If you really love writing, major in English.

andyjo672
05-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I have no idea what I will do as a profession. Unless I can get a dream job, I'm thinking medical. I have a lot of friends who are going into medical, and UAB is the best med school in the southeast.

Probably free tuition (at least) at Bama, Auburn, or UAB. But I need to figure out what I'm doing.

I'm a highschool junior.

Uhhhh, try Duke, UNC, Vandy, and Emory as the best in the Southeast.

bored of education
05-08-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a degree in history and work for an investment firm. It's not about what degree you get, it's about knowing someone and getting your foot in the door

UKfan
05-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Half the time it's about showing you have the intelligence to actually get a good degree rather than the subject, as I mentioned, my degree is in Maths, but my job has nothing to do with what I was taught at University.

BamaFalcon59
05-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Uhhhh, try Duke, UNC, Vandy, and Emory as the best in the Southeast.

That would be Duke and Vanderbilt.

I should have said public schools. And UAB is there with UNC in medical. This site has UAB at 29 and UNC at 19, still up there. North Carolina isn't in the southeast, anyways. Maybe geographically, but it's not really considered SE by most.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/research-rankings/page+2

andyjo672
05-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I should have said public schools. And UAB is there with UNC in medical. This site has UAB at 29 and UNC at 19, still up there.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/research-rankings/page+2

While 29 is a great ranking, when it comes to specialized graduate schools (Law, MBA, Med) the difference between 19 and 29 is pretty large. But, if you got into a #29 Med School, definitely congrats, better than I could ever imagine.

Currently in the process of applying to MBA programs myself. Looking at the following:

-Stanfard (pipe dream, we shall see)
-Duke
-Virginia
-Northwestern
-UChicago
-Notre Dame
-Columbia

-Wisconsin
-Minnesota

Pray for me fellas, starting to fill out the apps when they come out in July.

Staubach12
05-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Working for a company doing god-knows-what, anything from analysis to low level accounting. If you really love writing, major in English.

Yeah, writing is my passion, and English is so diverse, I'm giving that serious consideration.

MetSox17
05-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Yeah, writing is my passion, and English is so diverse, I'm giving that serious consideration.

If you enjoy living out of a box, do it.

fischbowl
05-08-2009, 05:06 PM
While 29 is a great ranking, when it comes to specialized graduate schools (Law, MBA, Med) the difference between 19 and 29 is pretty large. But, if you got into a #29 Med School, definitely congrats, better than I could ever imagine.

Currently in the process of applying to MBA programs myself. Looking at the following:

-Duke
-Virginia
-Northwestern
-UChicago
-Notre Dame
-Columbia

-Wisconsin
-Minnesota

Yay Gophers! **** Columbia, you'll get twice the education at Stern, plus maybe you'll have some classes with me. Although I'm younger than you I imagine

Paranoidmoonduck
05-08-2009, 05:09 PM
-Duke
-Virginia
-Northwestern
-UChicago
-Notre Dame
-Columbia

-Wisconsin
-Minnesota

Why aren't you applying to the Haas school at Berkeley?

JHG722
05-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Yay Gophers! **** Columbia, you'll get twice the education at Stern, plus maybe you'll have some classes with me. Although I'm younger than you I imagine

Maybe he doesnt want to be surrounded by Asians? :P

brat316
05-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Maybe he doesnt want to be surrounded by Asians? :P

there are plenty of asians at Temple

JHG722
05-08-2009, 06:20 PM
there are plenty of asians at Temple

? I never said there wasn't...

Brent
05-08-2009, 06:33 PM
If you enjoy living out of a box, do it.
Don't listen to this fool! I will certainly not be living in a box.

jayceheathman
05-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I have a degree in history and work for an investment firm. It's not about what degree you get, it's about knowing someone and getting your foot in the door

Thats true to a point, but it also helps if you know what you are doing and that degree gives you that opportunity. The one exception to your statement is being a doctor. I would hope you wouldnt see an econ major being a surgeon.

CashmoneyDrew
05-08-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm technically in school for journalism and political science. In reality, I'm just looking for a rich ***** to marry.
In the summers I work at a country club waiting on ridiculously rich people such as Al Gore, Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, butt-loads of other country musicians, politicians, Phillip Rivers. It blows ass.

CJSchneider
05-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Don't listen to this fool! I will certainly not be living in a box.

Metsox's Summer home

http://discovercrossroads.org/box-house.jpg

Brent
05-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Al Gore, Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, butt-loads of other country musicians, politicians, Phillip Rivers.
Meeting Al Gore would be awesome. The rest are probably awful.

kwilk103
05-08-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm technically in school for journalism and political science. In reality, I'm just looking for a rich ***** to marry.

we have the same plan!

diabsoule
I know a guy who majored in Hawaiian History.... he now lives on the beach.

I saw something on the history channel last night about the unification of Hawaii. It was really interesting.

CJSchneider
Meeting Al Gore would be awesome. The rest are probably awful.

Thanks for the interwebz, Al.

diabsoule
05-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Metsox's Summer home

http://discovercrossroads.org/box-house.jpg

Dude, that's totally bitchin! I'd crash at his place.

Hawk
05-08-2009, 09:05 PM
In the summers I work at a country club waiting on ridiculously rich people such as Al Gore, Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, butt-loads of other country musicians, politicians, Phillip Rivers. It blows ass.

Rivers in Nashville? Does Jay know about this?

Brent
05-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the interwebz, Al.
Agree with his politics or not, it would be cool to meet someone who is that historic of a figure. The best I've done, with regards to historical figures is George Bush Sr. & Jr.

Sr was a really really nice guy. And told me and the other person who walked up to him at the A&M Rec Center about how he likes to try and mess with the Secret Service guys by trying to lose them. Jr was pretty nice but this was before his presidency.

CJSchneider
05-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Agree with his politics or not, it would be cool to meet someone who is that historic of a figure. The best I've done, with regards to historical figures is George Bush Sr. & Jr.

Sr was a really really nice guy. And told me and the other person who walked up to him at the A&M Rec Center about how he likes to try and mess with the Secret Service guys by trying to lose them. Jr was pretty nice but this was before his presidency.

When ever I think of Al Gore, I think of this SNL skit.

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/politics/video/play.shtml?mea=229115

Gotta love the lockbox idea.

When I was at Ft. Polk, I shook hands with Clinton.

JFLO
05-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Is anyone else in a journalism major and reconsidering due to the fact that the field is going down hill like a rock?

kwilk103
05-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Is anyone else in a journalism major and reconsidering due to the fact that the field is going down hill like a rock?

yes

i would switch but i have only have 1 year left

but, im a poli sci minor, and probably going to go to grad school for that

Brent
05-08-2009, 10:16 PM
When ever I think of Al Gore, I think of this SNL skit.

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/politics/video/play.shtml?mea=229115
I never saw this but that's brilliant.

yo123
05-08-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm going to North Dakota State next year. Thinking about Management Information Systems or Computer Science.

I also ump baseball which is very good money on the side.

CashmoneyDrew
05-08-2009, 11:38 PM

As a journalism major, I'm hoping more and more of you are thinking like this. Plus I'm hoping I can hold off for a few years after I graduate and get a good in once some of those pesky baby boomers start to retire.

Brent
05-08-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm going to North Dakota State next year. Thinking about Management Information Systems or Computer Science.

I also ump baseball which is very good money on the side.
Info Systems is a good one.

JHG722
05-09-2009, 01:44 AM

Where at? BCC?

vatech=accdomination
05-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Accounting

awfullyquiet
05-09-2009, 11:19 AM
i always ask guys on the side of the street if they were english majors before they were homeless.

andyjo672
05-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Why aren't you applying to the Haas school at Berkeley?

While Berkeley has a terrific MBA program, I just don't see myself fitting into the culture there. I've been on campus twice, and its beautiful, I just can't apply everywhere.

Brent
05-09-2009, 11:27 AM
i always ask guys on the side of the street if they were english majors before they were homeless.
Oh ha-ha. You're sooooooo funny.

awfullyquiet
05-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Oh ha-ha. You're sooooooo funny.

really. i appreciate english as much as the next person, but if you cannot use your degree as a means to an end, i have no sympathy.

my major and my line of work are not related.

Brent
05-09-2009, 11:59 AM
really. i appreciate english as much as the next person, but if you cannot use your degree as a means to an end, i have no sympathy.

my major and my line of work are not related.
I am using my degree as a means to an end. I'm teaching HS English, fool!

awfullyquiet
05-09-2009, 12:00 PM
I am using my degree as a means to an end. I'm teaching HS English, fool!

most don't... that's why i say that.

Brent
05-09-2009, 12:04 PM
most don't... that's why i say that.
Like APS. He's majoring in English but I anticipate he'll be broke and mooching off his parents in 5 years.

MetSox17
05-09-2009, 12:13 PM

sig quote!

CashmoneyDrew
05-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Where at? BCC?

Hmmmm.... Belle Meade Country Club. Yes. That is it. And this is giving me major Deja Vu for some reason.

JHG722
05-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Hmmmm.... Belle Meade Country Club. Yes. That is it. And this is giving me major Deja Vu for some reason.

I didnt know if you were implying Belle Meade or Brentwood.

CashmoneyDrew
05-09-2009, 02:38 PM
I didnt know if you were implying Belle Meade or Brentwood.

Are you a frequenter of either?

JHG722
05-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Are you a frequenter of either?

Nah. Never been to TN. I'm just an economic geography buff.

TitleTown088
05-09-2009, 04:08 PM
I saw something on the history channel last night about the unification of Hawaii. It was really interesting.
And probably false. History channel is full of crap.

dolphinfan2k5
05-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm a marketing major with a psychology minor right now, perhaps I'll double major though, at the University of Minnesota. Just finishing up my freshman year, finals Monday and Tuesday.