PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NFL Draft Do-Over

thebow305
05-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Every year during the draft, everyone has their own favorite players and prospects that they want their teams to select. Just as something fun, I wanted to start a Do-Over thread.

Based on who was available at each of your selections, here is your chance to show how YOUR draft would have gone if you were the G.M.

Here's Mine for the Dolphins:

1. (25) - Rey Maualuga, ILB, Southern California
2. (44) - Sean Smith, CB, Utah
2. (61) - Michael Johnson, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech
3. (87) - Donald Washington, CB, Ohio State
4. (108) - James Casey, TE, Rice
5. (161) - Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
5. (166) - Herman Johnson, OG/OT, Louisiana State
6. (181) - Kevin Ellison, S, Southern California
7. (214) - Chris Baker, NT, Hampton

Now post yours! :)

bored of education
05-06-2009, 05:41 PM
It is impossible to do so. Why waste your time? I can't judge whether KC's draft was good or not. Sorry :(

thebow305
05-06-2009, 05:43 PM
It is impossible to do so. Why waste your time? I can't judge whether KC's draft was good or not. Sorry :(

This is just your own opinion, just for fun based on who you wanted before the draft and if they were still available when your team picked, so give it a shot man.

Splat
05-06-2009, 05:44 PM
It is impossible to do so. Why waste your time? I can't judge whether KC's draft was good or not.

Best draft ever...

:)

YAYareaRB
05-06-2009, 05:51 PM
1. Mike Crabtree WR
2. Rey Maualuga ILB
3. Kevin Barnes CB
4. Lawrence Sidbury OLB
5. Duke Robinson OG/OT
6. Bear Pascoe TE
7a. Rashad Jennings RB
7b. Marko Mitchell WR

http://www.imglols.com/wp-content/main/2009_04/win.jpg

stephenson86
05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Tennessee Titans:
1. Kenny Britt
2. Shonne Green
3. DJ Moore
4. Jasper Brinkley
4. Duke Robinson

After that I dont mind.

superman
05-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Every year during the draft, everyone has their own favorite players and prospects that they want their teams to select. Just as something fun, I wanted to start a Do-Over thread.

Based on who was available at each of your selections, here is your chance to show how YOUR draft would have gone if you were the G.M.

Here's Mine for the Dolphins:

1. (25) - Rey Maualuga, ILB, Southern California
2. (44) - Sean Smith, CB, Utah
2. (61) - Michael Johnson, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech
3. (87) - Donald Washington, CB, Ohio State
4. (108) - James Casey, TE, Rice
5. (161) - Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
5. (166) - Herman Johnson, OG/OT, Louisiana State
6. (181) - Kevin Ellison, S, Southern California
7. (214) - Chris Baker, NT, Hampton

Now post yours! :)

why take sean smith at 44 when they got him at 61 anyway?

thebow305
05-06-2009, 06:45 PM
why take sean smith at 44 when they got him at 61 anyway?

Because then it would have allowed us to get Johnson, who wasn't available with our 3rd rounder.

And me being GM, I wouldn't have taken the chance on Smith being there at 56, or 61 with the trade. He is waaaayyy too talented to have lasted until 61. We got a HUGE steal there and I'm still amazed by that.

rockio42
05-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Because then it would have allowed us to get Johnson, who wasn't available with our 3rd rounder.

And me being GM, I wouldn't have taken the chance on Smith being there at 56, or 61 with the trade. He is waaaayyy too talented to have lasted until 61. We got a HUGE steal there and I'm still amazed by that.

and add in the fact your man crush on him and it all makes sense!

superman
05-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Dolphins

25- v davis (needed a big, ready to start cb)

44- pat white (it's a reach here, but going by the rules of this thread, can't take him later. he's going to be crucial to the wildcat and nobody else in this draft could be as good of a throwing threat out of it)

61- ramsey barden (i'm torn. i like the sean smith pick too, IF he can play cb in the nfl. but if they knew they could get rashad johnson with their next pick, i'd go with this, since sean might end up at fs anyway. if he turns into a good cb, agree with the sean smith pick all the way)

87- rashah johnson (probably would beat out bell or wilson this year. if not, solid starter for the future, who is a true safety)

108- Lawrence Sidburry (could be a beast coming off the edge in a 3-4. however, i do think wake will work out)

161- duke robinson (only part on their line that could be improved)

165- chris clemons (i'll keep this pick)

181- coye francies (another big cb, since i didn't take sean smith)

superman
05-06-2009, 06:55 PM

eh, not a fan of m johnson on the fins

thebow305
05-06-2009, 06:56 PM
and add in the fact your man crush on him and it all makes sense!

Touche! :)

OneToughGame
05-06-2009, 07:04 PM
1: Aaron Curry
2: Do the same trade with Denver and then trade up and take Max Unger

Probably all the same except Mike Teel honestly lol.

fenikz
05-06-2009, 07:05 PM
1. Beanie Wells
2. Cody Brown
3. Rashad Johnson
4. Greg Toler
5. Herman Johnson
6. Will Davis
7a. LaRod Stephens-Howling
7b. Trevor Canfield

ya the cardinals win at nfl

Crickett
05-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Jets
1 (17) Jeremy Maclin, WR
2 (52) Jarron Gilbert, DL
3 (76) Ramses Barden, WR, Shonn Greene, RB
4 (115) Andre Brown, RB, Duke Robinson, OL
6 (193) Matt Slauson, OL, Mike Mickens, CB
7 (228) David Gronkowski, TE

Okay, I excluded any trades. But the reason I didn't like the trade up for Shonn Greene is because I thought he'd be there at 76. So this is what I would do without Shonn Greene falling to 76 and what I would do with Shonn Greene falling to 76 next to it.

underscore
05-06-2009, 07:57 PM
A post-mock draft...interesting.

Matthew Jones
05-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Patriots:

34. SS Patrick Chung, Oregon
40. LB Rey Maualuga, Southern California
41. LB Everette Brown, Florida St.
58. DE Jarron Gilbert, San Jose St.
83. WR Brandon Tate, North Carolina
97. TE Chase Coffman, Missouri
123. OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
170. CB Coye Francies, San Jose St.
198. CB Mike Mickens, Cincinnati
207. DT Myron Pryor, Kentucky
232. WR Julian Edelman, Kent St.
234. QB Graham Harrell, Texas Tech

I'd be so wet.

Malaka
05-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Patriots:

I'd be so wet.

That draft is sex...

etk
05-06-2009, 08:24 PM

He was there for a reason....he's not very good.

thebow305
05-06-2009, 08:33 PM

Well, I guess everyone has their own opinion.

Crickett
05-06-2009, 08:35 PM

Late second round is "not very good" territory?

sbh15
05-06-2009, 08:36 PM
A more effective idea would be 2008 or 2007 do-over.

thebow305
05-06-2009, 08:46 PM

Exactly. No he just said that because for some reason he likes taking shots at me.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
05-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Patriots:

I'd be so wet.

Worst pick of the draft.

MooshooGawd
05-06-2009, 09:23 PM
I love the Bengals picks (Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson and Chase Coffman especially) but the only change I would make is for us to have taken Mike Mickens instead of Morgan Trent and I don't really think Freddie Brown has much of a chance of making this team. So maybe an offensive lineman instead for depth.

Mr. Hero
05-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Hakeem Nicks
Clint Sintim
William Beatty
Ramses Barden
Chip Vaughn
Andre Brown
James Casey
AQ Shipley
Graham Gano

GhostDeini
05-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Rey Maualuga wouldnt be an upgrade over Channing Crowder. Crowder is stronger and way better athlete, Maualuga has no instincts either. Vontae Davis was a value pick. I bet Ravens would've taken him if Oher was gone.

YAYareaRB
05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Rey Maualuga wouldnt be an upgrade over Channing Crowder. Crowder is stronger and way better athlete, Maualuga has no instincts either. Vontae Davis was a value pick. I bet Ravens would've taken him if Oher was gone.

I beg to differ on the upgrade part. Rey Maualuga would be a definite upgrade over Channing Crowder. Not only is he better in pass coverage and more stout in run support and pass rushing, he knows where London is.

Crickett
05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Hakeem Nicks
Clint Sintim
William Beatty
Ramses Barden
Chip Vaughn
Andre Brown
James Casey
AQ Shipley
Graham Gano

No Duke Robinson? :confused:

BGB
05-06-2009, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't have changed a thing for the Vikings. On another forum I made a "if I were GM" post back in early April and I had us going Harvin, Loadholt with our 1st 2 picks then CB Donald Washington in the 3rd. I like the Asher Allen pick though. I would have like to see them pick up AQ Shipley late in the draft as competition for John Sullivan but that's a pretty minor change.

hagy34
05-06-2009, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't have changed a thing for the Vikings. On another forum I made a "if I were GM" post back in early April and I had us going Harvin, Loadholt with our 1st 2 picks then CB Donald Washington in the 3rd. I like the Asher Allen pick though. I would have like to see them pick up AQ Shipley late in the draft as competition for John Sullivan but that's a pretty minor change.

I would've gone with DJ Moore in the 3rd. I really like our first two picks. I would've rather had Oher at first but when Loadholt fell I liked the combo of Harvin/Loadholt more than Oher/Someone else.

GhostDeini
05-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Maualuga is more stout in what ? Do people actually watch games these days ? I feel like I'm the last one left. Anyway, Rey Maualuga misses so many tackles during a game due to his terrible angles it's ridiculous.

eaglesalltheway
05-07-2009, 06:28 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't change anything for the Eagles, except getting a DT instead of Paul Fanaika, but other than that, I think the Eagles draft is as good as it gets. I'd consider taking Chase Coffman in the third, but considering what Ingram has shown, I like the pick even more now than I did initially. The Eagles got great value with each of their picks, so I have a hard time switching anybody out.

thebow305
05-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Maualuga is more stout in what ? Do people actually watch games these days ? I feel like I'm the last one left. Anyway, Rey Maualuga misses so many tackles during a game due to his terrible angles it's ridiculous.

That doesn't mean he's not stout, that just means he's a little reckless. But that's what makes him so great. He's a freelancer at LB, much like Polamalu at S.

FlyingElvis
05-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Patriots:

I'd be so wet.
Can't argue too much, but I really think William Moore will be far better than any other safety taken in this class. So make it Moore at 34 and we can be wet together.

wait . . . that didn't sound right

YAYareaRB
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM

ACTUALLY.. I do watch USC games, I catch every ONE of them. I watch Maualuga in particular and you can quote me on this, he'll have more impact on his team that Channing Crowder ever would. He's the better athlete and the better linebacker.

UKfan
05-07-2009, 11:01 AM
I beg to differ on the upgrade part. Rey Maualuga would be a definite upgrade over Channing Crowder. Not only is he better in pass coverage and more stout in run support and pass rushing, he knows where London is.

Wait, I thought that Rey Maualuga was considered a 2 down linebacker by some due to his pass coverage liabilities, so tell me again why he is an upgrade in pass coverage over Crowder?

LizardState
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Trading back from the 2nd or later rds. is counterproductive.

Just ask Dallas, they wanted Max Unger & Jarron Gilbert at 52, Unger was gone but Gilbert was right freaking there!!! Still self-appointed draft genius Pharoah Jerry the 1st trades back into Day 2, Gilbert was amazingly still there, but way too highly profiled, & was taken in the 1st 12 mins. of Day 2 ..... by the Bears one selection ahead of the Cowboys!!

Dumbasses. This is how Dallas goes from A & A+-rated drafts to a D this April.

etk
05-07-2009, 12:27 PM

In some cases, yes, in others, no.

Sean Smith was drafted based on "upside". Other 2nd rounders are drafted based on production.

The Dolphins 1st 5 picks were all based on upside. Vontae Davis and Sean Smith are awfully inconsistent. Pat White is considered a project at QB or WR. Patrick Turner and Brian Hartline were both reaches that are limited on production and upside, but I guess Parcells sees potential in them.

Exactly. No he just said that because for some reason he likes taking shots at me.

You wish. It just so happens that you were a homer for Ted Ginn, Vernon Gholston and now Sean Smith (by far the worst of the 3). It's easy to take shots at someone who looks for all the wrong things in prospects.

YAYareaRB
05-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Wait, I thought that Rey Maualuga was considered a 2 down linebacker by some due to his pass coverage liabilities, so tell me again why he is an upgrade in pass coverage over Crowder?

I dunno who considered him a 2 down linebacker but his coverage abilities are very underrated because most look for him to make this hit rather than make plays in coverage, which he does.

Solomon
05-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Packers

* Do not make the trade up for Clay Matthews

1 (9): BJ Raji NT
2 (41): Everette Brown OLB
3 (73): Kevin Barnes CB
3 (83): Travis Beckum TE
4 (109): TJ Lang OG/OT
5 (145): Jamon Merideth OG/OT
6 (182): Chris Baker DL
6 (187): Lee Robinson LB
7 (218): Brannan Southerland FB

PossibleCabbage
05-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Packers

* Do not make the trade up for Clay Matthews

1 (9): BJ Raji NT
2 (41): Everette Brown OLB
3 (73): Kevin Barnes CB
3 (83): Travis Beckum TE
4 (109): TJ Lang OG/OT
5 (145): Jamon Merideth OG/OT
6 (182): Chris Baker DL
6 (187): Lee Robinson LB
7 (218): Brannan Southerland FB

Really? I'd rather have Matthews (and Meredith) than Brown, Barnes, and Beckum. Or are you just saying "trades aren't kosher for redrafts"?

Matthew Jones
05-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Worst pick of the draft.

Chung was somewhat of a reach but he has a similar skillset to Rodney Harrison (lining up in the box, making big hits, covering tight ends), so that's why they took himh there. If I went with Maualuga #34, there's no guarantee Chung is still available.

Matthew Jones
05-10-2009, 02:28 PM
The "do you watch football?" argument is tired, without basis, and completely unnecessary. I'm sure you had an opinion on Joe Flacco last year - how many Delaware games did you catch? Channing Crowder has been an average starter at best in the NFL. He has 1.5 sacks and 0 picks in 58 career games. He's allergic to making plays, unless you consider making a play being making a tackle 6-7 yards downfield.

Nalej
05-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Worst pick of the draft.

Worst comment in this thread.

The Chung pick isn't remotely close to being the worst
Fits a hole-need-playing style for the Pat perfectly.
The RT we took @ 58 would be debatable
DHB @ 7? Mitchell in the 2nd? That W&M CB in the 2nd/3rd rd
Be serious.

I think Moore may have more upside then Chung
but I think Chung will excel in the Pats scheme.
Him and Merriweather compliment each other nicely.
He'll slide right into Harrison's old role.

abaddon41_80
05-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Really? I'd rather have Matthews (and Meredith) than Brown, Barnes, and Beckum.

That is pretty insane if you ask me.

CJSchneider
05-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Well, I said all along that the Saints should have traded down. Looking on that even less then a month after the draft, one can easily see that would have been a better option (Stanley Arnoux ruptured his left Achilles tendon in a rookie mini-camp).
To make matters worse, we even traded up from the 7th to the 5th to get a punter (are you ******* kidding me).
could come up with a fictional sequence of events to set up specific trade down scenarios but I'd probably catch hell, so let's just say that I think time will show I should have been listened to.

wonderbredd24
05-10-2009, 04:36 PM
After having so much time to process the Browns draft, the only pick I'd change is Kaluka Maiava to Chip Vaughn in round 4.

It's become clear Mangini wants smart, hard working guys who produced in college, so I'm interested to see how that works.

21. Alex Mack, C California
36. Brian Robiskie, WR Ohio State
50. Mohammed Massaquoi, WR Georgia
52. David Veikune, DE Hawaii
104. Chip Vaughn, S Wake Forest
177. Don Carey, CB Norfolk St.
191. Coye Francies, CB San Jose St.
195. James Davis, RB Clemson

Staubach12
05-10-2009, 05:08 PM
If I were the Cowboys' GM, here's what I would have done (not trading out of the 2nd)

(2) 51 - William Moore, S, Missouri
(3) 69 - Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina
(4) 101 - Stephen McGee, QB, Texas A&M
(4) 120 - Brandon Williams, OLB, Texas Tech
(5) 143 - Jasper Brinkley, ILB, South Carolina
(5) 166 - Herman Johnson, G, LSU
(5) 172 - Jarius Wynn, OLB, Georgia
(6) 197 - Myron Pryor, NT, Kentucky
(6) 208 - Curtis Taylor, S, LSU
(7) 227 - Dannell Ellerbe, ILB, Georgia
(7) 229 - Quan Cosby, WR, Texas

Solomon
05-11-2009, 03:38 AM
Really? I'd rather have Matthews (and Meredith) than Brown, Barnes, and Beckum. Or are you just saying "trades aren't kosher for redrafts"?

I really liked the Meredith pick up which is why I selected him in the fifth round over Quinn Johnson. But as far as trading both third rounders towards moving up to grab Matthews over Brown I have to disagree.

I felt Brown was a top 15 value while Matthews was an overrated, stiff, relatively unexperienced, pass rusher who should have gone in the late second. Obviously Green Bay management and most teams in the league disagreed with me but IMO I feel Brown will be a better pro than Matthews without even the two third rounders thrown in the mix.

CC.SD
05-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Re: Chung. I like him a lot and I've seen him beast for the last few years, but never ever thought he'd be a first rounder. At 34, he practically was and that's a big old reach spurred on by the fact that the Lions ALSO reached on Delmas. The Pats didn't want to be left out in the cold at the safety position so they didn't get the best value out of their pick.

That's okay, they had enough other early picks to fill needs, and it was obviously a big priority for them to acquire a safety. Not the worst pick in the draft by any means.

CC.SD
05-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Also I'm board with Mauluga>Crowder, but that's way in the past. Honestly this "2 down player" knock is ridiculous, the guy is an athlete and will improve, he'll be a 3 down player before too long.