PDA

View Full Version : James Starks, RB, Buffalo

thebow305
05-07-2009, 02:20 AM
I am dumbfounded as to why this guy gets no love around here. I was thinking about adding him to my RB rankings for 2010 though. I've been watching a lot on him lately and he looks legit. And also looking at his height/weight (6'2" 211) and his stats (1103 yards, 12 TD's as a Sophomore and 1333 yards, 16 TD's as a Junior), you can't argue with either.

Anyone know anything else about this guy that I don't? How come he isn't getting more pub, other than the obvious reason that he plays for Buffalo. :)

DiG
05-07-2009, 07:18 AM
He's got some serious skill thats for sure. I'm not sure how it will translate though but I do like him. I even read that Kiper said he thought Starks could have been a late first or early second rounder prior to the bowl game last year. I always thought of him as a late 3rd to early 4th kind of guy. That UConn bowl game probably hurt him too with 25 yards on 13 attempts.

Menardo75
05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I have a feeling he will be a late first early second round pick in next years draft very nice player.

BeerBaron
05-07-2009, 01:52 PM
He's got some serious skill thats for sure. I'm not sure how it will translate though but I do like him. I even read that Kiper said he thought Starks could have been a late first or early second rounder prior to the bowl game last year. I always thought of him as a late 3rd to early 4th kind of guy. That UConn bowl game probably hurt him too with 25 yards on 13 attempts.

I don't think I'd put too much stock into that bowl game......Buffalo was really outmatched.

If he builds on his success of the last few seasons and puts up similar (or even better) numbers, I think he could be a borderline first rounder as well.

A lot will depend on the post season stuff of course too.... Anyone have a good guess as to his speed or anything?

princefielder28
05-07-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't think I'd put too much stock into that bowl game......Buffalo was really outmatched.

If he builds on his success of the last few seasons and puts up similar (or even better) numbers, I think he could be a borderline first rounder as well.

A lot will depend on the post season stuff of course too.... Anyone have a good guess as to his speed or anything?

I would say his speed to comparable to Matt Forte

fischbowl
05-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I love how you say "he gets no love around here". Just because you didn't hear of him doesn't mean he hasn't been talked about. McGee, myself, Mr. Hero, JHG, all the MAC guys have been touting Starks for awhile now. Where have you been

thebow305
05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I love how you say "he gets no love around here". Just because you didn't hear of him doesn't mean he hasn't been talked about. McGee, myself, Mr. Hero, JHG, all the MAC guys have been touting Starks for awhile now. Where have you been

Sorry man, my bad! I guess I just didn't notice. I'm just a little late to the party, that's all. :)

But now I'm here!

Solomon
05-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Seems like Buffalo has some serious NFL talent right now. Wonder how well they'll do this season especially with Willy gone...

Menardo75
05-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Seems like Buffalo has some serious NFL talent right now. Wonder how well they'll do this season especially with Willy gone...

That could be a big factor in where he gets drafted.

Hines
05-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Starks is such a ballar. Buffalo has some nice talent on that team.

eaglesalltheway
05-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Starks is such a ballar. Buffalo has some nice talent on that team.

I like Naaman Rooselvelt, he's a little skinny, but I think he could be a good WR in the NFL. I honestly don't know much about Starks but I think he had a decent game at the Penn State game i was at two years ago, though I easily could be mistaken. Infer what you will...

Mr. Hero
05-07-2009, 06:35 PM
He's the best prospect since Drew Wily. And until Shannon comes out.

If I can be serious though I love this kid and think he'll end up being a steal in the second round. He's slick, he's tough, he's not huge but has good size, I think he can get into the 4.4s by next march. I wonder if we try to get him more involved as a receiver because I think he could be really good there as well.

ElectricEye
05-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Really like this kid. He always manages to stick out. A good bowl game last year would have really helped him out but he can probably get pasted the poor performance. Should have a big season this year and be drafted relatively high. Wouldn't say first round, although that isn't impossible.

SuperMcGee
05-08-2009, 12:20 AM
I like Naaman Rooselvelt, he's a little skinny, but I think he could be a good WR in the NFL. I honestly don't know much about Starks but I think he had a decent game at the Penn State game i was at two years ago, though I easily could be mistaken. Infer what you will...

Roosevelt played the best against Penn State, I know that. He had a great game.
Starks wasn't bad but the running game never took off for us in that game.

He's the best prospect since Drew Wily. And until Shannon comes out.

If I can be serious though I love this kid and think he'll end up being a steal in the second round. He's slick, he's tough, he's not huge but has good size, I think he can get into the 4.4s by next march. I wonder if we try to get him more involved as a receiver because I think he could be really good there as well.

Starks is huge in the passing game. You might be talking about lining him up but I love what he does out of the backfield. He'll certainly be getting a lot more interesting looks with Maynard under center.

fischbowl
05-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Cnrc_r69B2A

Naaman's game is all athleticism. Former QB, lightning fast, could double as an RS.

SuperMcGee
05-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Cnrc_r69B2A

Naaman's game is all athleticism. Former QB, lightning fast, could double as an RS.

Such an amazing season.
I'v been trying to find a clip of Starks' game-winning run against Bowling Green. First play of the possession, so much momentum, Starks just bolted right through and wasn't letting anybody stop him. Basically defined his whole season. That whole 4th quarter and OT was amazing for Willy, Roosevelt, Starks, and the team as a whole. Actually overtakes the Hail Mary as my favorite of the year.

Starks' situation was very similar to Naaman's, as well, coming out of Niagara Falls. He also played basketball with Flynn and Harris. That team ruled. But that's another topic altogether.

Mr. Hero
05-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Roosevelt played the best against Penn State, I know that. He had a great game.
Starks wasn't bad but the running game never took off for us in that game.

Starks is huge in the passing game. You might be talking about lining him up but I love what he does out of the backfield. He'll certainly be getting a lot more interesting looks with Maynard under center.

My thinking is that if he can add incredible passing game weapon by splitting out wide some, could help him as a prospect. I'm kind of hoping the giants draft him, not because we need another RB but just because having Bradshaw, Starks and Brown behind Jacobs would be incredible, we wouldn't have to pass and when Jacobs went down with his annual injury we'd be ready to keep on rolling against anybody.

SuperMcGee
05-08-2009, 01:08 AM
My thinking is that if he can add incredible passing game weapon by splitting out wide some, could help him as a prospect. I'm kind of hoping the giants draft him, not because we need another RB but just because having Bradshaw, Starks and Brown behind Jacobs would be incredible, we wouldn't have to pass and when Jacobs went down with his annual injury we'd be ready to keep on rolling against anybody.

I know what you're saying and absolutely agree. He is already capable of it to a good extent, we'll see how much they expand that. He's even more central to the team now.

But the Giants can't have him. He'll need to go to the Bills when we don't sign Fred Jackson :mad:
Lynch-Starks would actually be a pretty nice combo.
As if I needed another element of homerism in this thread.

JHG722
05-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Cnrc_r69B2A

Please don't do that to me, man, it's just not fair :(

I literally started crying.

Anyway, Starks is a beast, although somehow our run D has shown up against him when we've played Buffalo: 14 carries for 86 1 TD, 10 carries for 26, 8 carries for 20

brat316
05-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I think his one of his knocks might be that he hasn't played against the best competition.

I hate that clip, three guys and yet not one of them in front of him.

JHG722
05-11-2009, 05:25 PM
You hate that cuz you go to Temple too ;)