PDA

View Full Version : Jim Schwartz Scouted Metallica

Prowler
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
this is too awesome
http://www.freep.com/article/20090507/SPORTS01/905070680/1048/SPORTS/Jim+Schwartz+shares+his+love+of+heavy+metal+on+rad io

Schwartz isn't your typical NFL coach. He's young, only 42. He's witty and aware of the world outside of football. He has an economics degree from Georgetown, but that doesn't make him a nerd.

In about a 90-minute appearance on the rock station, he showed he's willing to ditch the usual coach speak and unplug in public. He was unafraid to tell an edgy joke or make fun of himself. He called guys "dude" and "bro" and even uttered this sentence to describe an Aerosmith show: "That band was so tight." More than anything, he had fun riffing on his love of heavy metal.

"Let me tell you what," Schwartz said. "If I could sing, my hair would be long and I'd be at some small club in western Ontario, sitting there trying to find a gig tonight."

He was scouting musicians before he was scouting football prospects. Schwartz said he saw Metallica in a little Baltimore club in the early 1980s and knew the band would be big. He got into music about his junior year of high school -- Scorpions, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath. He said he had "one of the original mullets," "spent a lot of money on hair gel" and "had a lot of sore necks from head-banging, too."

Addict
05-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Our new head coach know how to rock... Let's hope he's right about Stafford like he was about Metallica :P (even though they sold out)

Bengals78
05-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Our new head coach know how to rock... Let's hope he's right about Stafford like he was about Metallica :P (even though they sold out)

Metallica didnt sell out as much as got old.
Death Magnetic was awesome. I can see the team making their way out of the tunnels to For Whom the Bell Tolls.

ESPforMe
05-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Metallica didnt sell out as much as got old.
Death Magnetic was not awesome. I can see the team making their way out of the tunnels to For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Fixed :)

Cool story about Schwartz though

El Peefs?????
05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Maybe Schwartz will come to Mayhem fest with me, we need a 4th!

Death Magnetic had a couple good songs, but some typical bad new Metallica ones also. Stop making new versions of The Unforgiven damnit.

Bengals78
05-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Fixed :)

Cool story about Schwartz though

After 30 years, Metallica is better than a lot of bands that have aged.

Schwartz is one of my new favorite coaches now.

WMD
05-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm just waiting for Iamcanadian to come in and put a negative spin on this..

Iamcanadian
05-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm just waiting for Iamcanadian to come in and put a negative spin on this..

Just for you!!! I'll be far more impressed if he can be a successful HC. I really don't give a hoot about what band he likes or even what his favourite food is, all I want from him is victories.

Prowler
05-08-2009, 10:41 AM
1) victories are overrated. our drafts would be too boring if we had a solid team and won championships all the time.

2) if we had musically talented players then we could atleast do a better version of 'Who Dat' or 'Super Bowl Shuffle'.

3) we need hard rock/rap to properly motivate our players, so schwartz's knowledge is essential to our rebuilding effort.

Addict
05-08-2009, 02:13 PM
before every game, turn the volume up to eleven and play anything by AC/DC... brace for 19-0.

stephenson86
05-08-2009, 04:50 PM
hes been gone for no time at all and i miss him so bad :(