PDA

View Full Version : Should eye-tests be coming to the combine?

BeerBaron
05-08-2009, 11:20 AM
......or maybe they are already here?

Found this article interesting (though I wasn't quite sure where to post it...)

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/08/devin-thomas-has-eye-surgery/

Turns out some of Devin Thomas' rookie struggles may have been due to poor eyesight.

And does everyone remember a few years back when Williamson (or Williamson-Bey as the article states, haha...oh man some people are gonna be pissed about that one...) also had corrective eye surgery to try and fix his poor eyesight and said that was the reason behind his dropsies?

But since they check just about everything else about a players medical history at the combine, maybe it's time they start bringing in some eye doctors to take a look at how well the prospects are able to see. (Or if they already do it, maybe teams should start paying closer attention to it.)

Thoughts?

ratiffshabang
05-08-2009, 11:46 AM
it actually surprises me that it isn't part of the draft process already. however i find it surprising that someone who can legally drive, has a problem catching a football due to eye sight. its not like the football is that small. doesn't seem like corrective eye surgery has helped Williamson out, he still stinks. now in baseball its a totally different story, there are tons of success stories with corrective eye surgery. however baseball players rely on eye sight a lot more, trying to see the spin on the ball. it does surprise me that they don't do eye test tho, seems like every physical you take does an eye test

Brent
05-08-2009, 11:52 AM
I thought this was part of the exam. Hmm, guess not.

Mr. Hero
05-08-2009, 11:55 AM
it actually surprises me that it isn't part of the draft process already. however i find it surprising that someone who can legally drive, has a problem catching a football due to eye sight. its not like the football is that small. doesn't seem like corrective eye surgery has helped Williamson out, he still stinks. now in baseball its a totally different story, there are tons of success stories with corrective eye surgery. however baseball players rely on eye sight a lot more, trying to see the spin on the ball. it does surprise me that they don't do eye test tho, seems like every physical you take does an eye test

Meh, I'm half blind, have a severe astigmatism on my left eye, but I can legally drive. Getting a license in this country only takes being 16 and having all your limbs.

yeats
05-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Meh, I'm half blind, have a severe astigmatism on my left eye, but I can legally drive. Getting a license in this country only takes being 16 and having all your limbs.

false! a girl from my high school had no arms and drives with her feet. no idea how she does it

Splat
05-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I could be wrong but I think Dwayne Bowe had some thing along the same lines during college?

Staubach12
05-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Dwayne Bowe had corrective eye surgery after his Junior year, and he improved his hands that way. Before that, he was legally blind.

FlyingElvis
05-08-2009, 02:17 PM
it actually surprises me that it isn't part of the draft process already. . . . it does surprise me that they don't do eye test tho, seems like every physical you take does an eye test
That's exactly what I was thinking. With all the hype and hoopla and the huge money these guys have thrown at them, how the hell can the physical exams not include an eye test?? That would be pretty 'tarded.

Seems like BS to me. No way the teams don't do an eye exam.

false! a girl from my high school had no arms and drives with her feet. no idea how she does it
rofl. Beat me to it, though my example was not the girl in your highschool.

Strongside
05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Last year the Steelers found that Limas Sweed had eye problems too, and he's got the dropsies as well.

SKim172
05-08-2009, 02:37 PM
You'd think a basic physical would include an eye test. Stick a chart on the wall and make 'em take a look at it. Along the way, you can also check to see if they can read.

Which, technically, I guess they don't actually test, so might wanna introduce that.

kalbears13
05-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Braylon should get that checked.

BeerBaron
05-08-2009, 06:25 PM
It's weird how many receivers we can think of that have had or still have dropsies as well as eye problems.....

And how someone like Bowe got over it. Was he really legally blind? That's pretty crazy if true....wow. Did not know that.

fenikz
05-08-2009, 06:40 PM
an eye test is part of your physical, no way that it isnt included in the draft process

bofadabizzles
05-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Dwayne Bowe had corrective eye surgery after his Junior year, and he improved his hands that way. Before that, he was legally blind.

Terry Bradshaw said on air during the 06 Sugar bowl that he broke up with his girl after his eyes got fixed.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/buzz/2007/01/04/foxs-terry-bradshaw-accidentally-hypes-abcs-ugly-betty/

But then there’s Terry Bradshaw, singlehandedly proving with one wholly charming and inappropriate anecdote that those pregame “production meetings” are worthwhile after all.

With 5:54 left in the third quarter — or, in the eternal parlance of the Notre Dame Bowl Experience, “garbage time” — LSU receiver Dwayne Bowe caught an otherwise meaningless pass that allowed Terry to mention that Bowe benefited greatly from off-season laser surgery on his eyes.

“He had dropped a lot of passes, so they took him in and checked his eyes and said, ‘You need surgery.’ He got the surgery,” Bradshaw said. “The first thing he did when he opened up his eyes and he could see, I asked him, I said, ‘Did you have a girlfriend going in?’ He said yes. I said ‘When you opened up,’ I said ‘What happened after you could see?’”

At that point, Fox tried to save Bradshaw by artificially blurring the scoreboard and then clearing it up, ostensibly to show the improvement in Bowe’s vision. But Terry Bradshaw could not be stopped. “There you go. That gives you an idea of what he was looking at,” Terry said, unfazed.

Then:

“Well, when he opened his eyes up and he finally could see, he said he broke up with her.

and some more just cause I'm not related to her...

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2007/top30.php?college=LSU

Has good speed, and his hands have improved greatly in his Senior year after eye surgery improved his very poor eyesight. (The story has it that after he got the surgery, he immediately broke up with his longtime girlfriend, based on yes, her looks.)

OneToughGame
05-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Oh I'm fine with them having bad eyes.. I mean contacts can solve that issue (most of the time) I just want them to steal the adamantium in Wolverine and put it in Branch so I don't have to watch a guy get paid $10 million (quick guess lol) a season while being hurt myself. ;)

ironman4579
05-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Braylon should get that checked.

To be honest, I thought of that myself. Then I wondered how he could make amazing catches but drop easy ones. Here's a question though, I noticed Braylon wearing a visor alot last year. Did he wear it every game? I don't ever remember him wearing a visor before. Certainly not in college, and I didn't think he wore one at all prior to last season. Could that have affected his vision at all?

Iamcanadian
05-09-2009, 09:45 PM
an eye test is part of your physical, no way that it isnt included in the draft process

I agree, another worthless post.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Ah so vision was the reason Devin Thomas couldn't learn the playbook fast enough to get on the field. Well I guess if you can't see you can't read so...

Saints-Tigers
05-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I could be wrong but I think Dwayne Bowe had some thing along the same lines during college?

yeah, one of the reasons I thought Dwayne Bowe was an overrated prospect was his inconsistency, but that was before we knew about his eyes... and it seems that really was the problem :D

Staggart
05-11-2009, 12:45 PM
i have had corrective eye surgery... PRK and it should have done nothing but help his eyes. I kind of suffer a little sensitivity to the sun. Apparently Vitamin C pills cure that though. There is no way corrective eye surgery should hamper any player in the nfl. I got mine done in Tysons Corner which may have been where thomas got his done? Who knows. It was defiantly worth it though

SKim172
05-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, dude, but I have no idea what Tysons Corner is. I'd conservatively guess at least 75% of the people on this board don't either.

Staggart
05-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, dude, but I have no idea what Tysons Corner is. I'd conservatively guess at least 75% of the people on this board don't either.

right near dc.