PDA

View Full Version : Haters got to hate

Geo
05-08-2009, 12:27 PM
This thread collects all the stupid crap said about the Colts, so we can throw it back in their faces and laugh as the Colts hoist up the Lombardi trophy yet again. The only shame is that is thread wasn't around since 2006.

Our first entry:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/05/07/friday.insider/1.html

Six 2008 playoff teams who won't repeat

AFC

Indianapolis -- Predicting the demise of the Colts would appear a fool's game, given their seven-year streak of making the playoffs and a six-year run of winning at least 12 games every regular season. But the law of averages say it has to end at some point for Indy (doesn't it?), and with new head coach Jim Caldwell elevated to replace the departed Tony Dungy, maybe some key component of the team's success will go missing this season for the first time since 2001.

When they were sitting 3-4 entering November last season, the Colts looked like an aging team that finally had too many vulnerabilities for their all-world offense to overcome. Then Peyton Manning got healthy, and it all came together in the form of a nine-game winning streak entering the playoffs. This is a team that hasn't lost anyone it can't live without this offseason -- Marvin Harrison included -- but that might not be enough in a division where the Colts could find themselves looking up at both Tennessee and Houston.

brat316
05-08-2009, 12:30 PM
how about when they talk about Manning having problems with the 3-4 defense. And that now half the league is running it.

killxswitch
05-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Looking up at Houston AND Tennesse? Wow.

RagingColt
05-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Don Banks couldn't figure out his way of a corner let alone predict squat about the NFL or the teams.

UKfan
05-09-2009, 03:59 AM
Rod Woodson wa saying similar things on NFLN as well, I can't find (or be bothered) to look for a link, but he did.

Geo
05-09-2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8102c114/Who-s-in-Who-s-out

Rod Woodson, on the reasons of no Tony Dungy and every team in the division but the Colts improving, says they won't even make the playoffs this year. Love having this video evidence.

killxswitch
05-11-2009, 07:44 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8102c114/Who-s-in-Who-s-out

Rod Woodson, on the reasons of no Tony Dungy and every team in the division but the Colts improving, says they won't even make the playoffs this year. Love having this video evidence.

The Colts haven't made improvements? The Colts might've improved their defense more this year than they have in years.

chad72
05-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Re-signing Jeff Saturday and Kelvin Hayden were the 2 biggest offseason moves the Colts made and wisely so. It goes unnoticed but it will be noticed when the time comes.

Also, all needs were addressed via the draft, the DT & RB positions mainly.

Our team is one of the youngest teams with the possibility of players injured last year (Lilja, Marlin Jackson etc.) coming back and further strengthening our squad. 16 O-linemen possibly competing for 8 roster spots, now, that is competition. Our DL looks the best on paper it has ever been. Our lines are going to have a good year.

If Manning could will his way to 4000 yards and 26 TDs hobbling like he did, imagine what he can do with a full training camp and chemistry with his wideouts/TEs/RBs right off the bat.

I expect a 2 TD average for Manning this year in 16 games, 32 TDs or more. Let me be on record for saying that.

Geo
05-18-2009, 07:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ajf12o3BqbvijUMeSm_oNFKr0op4?slug=ms-32questions042409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
Apr 24, 11:09 am EDT

As with last year’s predraft edition of 32Q, I’m putting the defending champs at the top of my rankings as a sign of respect. After that, it’s a highly subjective guessing game – a sense of where I think these teams are after a few months of offseason maneuverings and a hint as to where I expect them to be come September:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers
2. Tennessee Titans
3. New England Patriots
4. Arizona Cardinals
5. Philadelphia Eagles
6. Baltimore Ravens
7. Green Bay Packers
8. Dallas Cowboys
9. Chicago Bears
10. Houston Texans
11. New York Giants
12. San Diego Chargers
13. Washington Redskins
14. New Orleans Saints
15. Atlanta Falcons

16. Indianapolis Colts: Will Bill Polian allow new coach Jim Caldwell into the war room, and if so, will Caldwell have to bring donuts?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqYVxClhjBxjbqh72B24aStDubYF?slug=ms-thegameface051509&prov=yhoo&type=lgnsMay 15, 9:35 am EDT

When I ranked the Indianapolis Colts 16th in my pre-draft edition of 32 Questions, many of the team’s loyalists reacted as though I’d just rated the Indy 500 a middle-of-the-pack auto race. The typical reaction was, in so many words, “How dare you?” Well, here’s how: The Colts, in the wake of Tony Dungy’s departure, are undergoing a period of tumultuous change. Dungy’s successor, Jim Caldwell, ran off defensive coordinator Ron Meeks and special teams coordinator Russ Purnell shortly after taking charge. Now comes Thursday’s confirmation that two longtime assistants, offensive coordinator Tom Moore and offensive line coach Howard Mudd, have filed their retirement papers because of their concerns about the new policy allowing teams to opt out of the NFL’s pension plan. I know Peyton Manning(notes) is Peyton Manning, and I know the Colts have plenty of talent. But I also believe that, after a shaky start in ’08, Dungy’s cool, steady leadership was the primary force that kept things together – and that without it the situation could’ve turned very ugly. Throw in the fact that my final impression of the ’08 Colts was not a very positive one, and you should be able to understand why I’m a bit dubious. And, as always, if it turns out the Colts prove me wrong, feel free to inform me that I know absolutely nothing about football. Thank you.

killxswitch
05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
He should just admit he wants the Colts to fail and is using his national platform to tell people about it. What a joke.

Dam8610
05-19-2009, 06:14 PM
how about when they talk about Manning having problems with the 3-4 defense. And that now half the league is running it.

Problems with the 3-4?

Manning against the 3-4 in 2008: 108-162 66.7% 1145 yards 7.1 YPA 10 TDs 3 INTs 3.33 TD/INT 2 TD/G .6 INT/G 229 Y/G
Manning in 2008: 371-555 66.8% 4002 yards 7.2 YPA 27 TDs 12 INTs 2.25 TD/INT 1.69 TD/G .75 INT/G 250.1 Y/G

Manning was pretty much the same last year against the 3-4 as he was against the rest of the NFL. I don't see where the "problem" is.

7-11
05-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Problems with the 3-4?

Manning against the 3-4 in 2008: 108-162 66.7% 1145 yards 7.1 YPA 10 TDs 3 INTs 3.33 TD/INT 2 TD/G .6 INT/G 229 Y/G
Manning in 2008: 371-555 66.8% 4002 yards 7.2 YPA 27 TDs 12 INTs 2.25 TD/INT 1.69 TD/G .75 INT/G 250.1 Y/G

Manning was pretty much the same last year against the 3-4 as he was against the rest of the NFL. I don't see where the "problem" is.

I've never understood this at all. Peyton consistently shreds Baltimore and handles New England when at home with ease. So he's had problems with the Patriots at Foxborough, but who hasn't?

Seamus2602
05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
More on what Dam just posted.

Last year, in the regular season, Peyton Manning played 5 games against 3-4 Teams and 11 games 4-3 Teams. He went 7-4 against 4-3 teams. He went 5-0 against 3-4 teams. So much for him being bad against them. If Peyton Manning plays as badly against those 3-4 teams as he did last year, then Indy will be guaranteed at least 7 wins.

In terms of his average per game completions, attempts and %, Manning was better against 4-3 teams (23.9 Completions, 35.7 attempts and 66.9% compared to 21.6, 32.4 and 66.8% against 3-4 teams).

But, Manning threw a better Touchdown per game ratio against 3-4 teams (2 TDs a game compared to 1.5 TDs vs 4-3). He also threw a better Touchdown per Attempt ratio (23.1 against 4-3 teams, 16.2 against 3-4). Similarly with interceptions. He threw better Interceptions per Game and Interceptions per Attempt ratios against 3-4 teams. So in the statistics that really matter for QBs, that is TDs, Ints and Ws, Manning played much better against the 3-4 than the 4-3.

Geo
05-19-2009, 08:48 PM
I think Peyton recovering from his knee surgeries might have had something to do with that. Also the injuries to the OL early on.

By the time they got a little healthier, they played at least 4 of the 5 3-4 defenses (NE, PIT, SD, CLE).

TitanHope
05-20-2009, 11:33 PM
C'mon guys. Everybody knows it's Houston's year. I mean, ya'll do know they signed Antonio Smith, right?

Lets face it. We're doomed... :(

HawkeyeFan
05-20-2009, 11:35 PM
In all honesty, are you guys not one bit worried about next season? Losing your OC, one of the best OL coaches ever, and a great Head Coach.

Any worries at all?

Dam8610
05-21-2009, 02:15 AM
In all honesty, are you guys not one bit worried about next season? Losing your OC, one of the best OL coaches ever, and a great Head Coach.

Any worries at all?

My biggest concern is losing the scouts that the Colts had to let go. Coming in a DISTANT second to that would be the loss of Howard Mudd followed distantly by the departures of Moore and Dungy. Visually:

Loss of scouts

Loss of Howard Mudd

Loss of Tony Dungy
Loss of Tom Moore

HawkeyeFan
05-21-2009, 02:18 AM
Sorry for the confusion, but you had to let scouts go?

Dam8610
05-21-2009, 02:25 AM

Dom Anile and several others. Considering how well the Colts have drafted over the past decade, I feel that's the biggest loss.

HawkeyeFan
05-21-2009, 02:26 AM
Oh yeah, I understand. But why did they have to leave?

Iamcanadian
05-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Say what you want, but when a team hires a new HC, there are no guarantees all will be rosy especially when a # of other coaches leave with the old HC.
Indy is a huge question mark IMO but even if they don't win 12 games, Peyton is still a franchise QB and a great leader so any decline should be held to a minimum.

As for this piece of crap, I wouldn't let it bother me one bit. His selection of Tennessee at #2 indicates to me that he has zero knowledge on how the NFL operates. It is extremely doubtful Tennessee matches its last year's record which was accomplished on the back of a .479 SOS, one of the weakest schedules in the NFL. Add in the loss of Haynesworth plus a much tougher schedule and Tennessee will be very lucky to escape finishing in last place in the AFC South division.
As for Bill Polian, he is respected throughout pro football as one of the best GM's in all of pro football and he didn't get there by ignoring solid advise.

As with last year’s predraft edition of 32Q, I’m putting the defending champs at the top of my rankings as a sign of respect. After that, it’s a highly subjective guessing game – a sense of where I think these teams are after a few months of offseason maneuverings and a hint as to where I expect them to be come September:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers
2. Tennessee Titans
3. New England Patriots
4. Arizona Cardinals
5. Philadelphia Eagles
6. Baltimore Ravens
7. Green Bay Packers
8. Dallas Cowboys
9. Chicago Bears
10. Houston Texans
11. New York Giants
12. San Diego Chargers
13. Washington Redskins
14. New Orleans Saints
15. Atlanta Falcons

16. Indianapolis Colts: Will Bill Polian allow new coach Jim Caldwell into the war room, and if so, will Caldwell have to bring donuts?

Nevertheless, with a new HC and a lot of new assistant coaches, it will be an interesting season to see how Indy adjusts.

killxswitch
05-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Say what you want, but when a team hires a new HC, there are no guarantees all will be rosy especially when a # of other coaches leave with the old HC.
Indy is a huge question mark IMO but even if they don't win 12 games, Peyton is still a franchise QB and a great leader so any decline should be held to a minimum.

As for this piece of crap, I wouldn't let it bother me one bit. His selection of Tennessee at #2 indicates to me that he has zero knowledge on how the NFL operates. It is extremely doubtful Tennessee matches its last year's record which was accomplished on the back of a .479 SOS, one of the weakest schedules in the NFL. Add in the loss of Haynesworth plus a much tougher schedule and Tennessee will be very lucky to escape finishing in last place in the AFC South division.
As for Bill Polian, he is respected throughout pro football as one of the best GM's in all of pro football and he didn't get there by ignoring solid advise.

As with last years predraft edition of 32Q, Im putting the defending champs at the top of my rankings as a sign of respect. After that, its a highly subjective guessing game a sense of where I think these teams are after a few months of offseason maneuverings and a hint as to where I expect them to be come September:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers
2. Tennessee Titans
3. New England Patriots
4. Arizona Cardinals
5. Philadelphia Eagles
6. Baltimore Ravens
7. Green Bay Packers
8. Dallas Cowboys
9. Chicago Bears
10. Houston Texans
11. New York Giants
12. San Diego Chargers
13. Washington Redskins
14. New Orleans Saints
15. Atlanta Falcons

Nevertheless, with a new HC and a lot of new assistant coaches, it will be an interesting season to see how Indy adjusts.

I doubt the majority of informed Colts fans (the ones who actually know who left or was let go and who is taking over each position) think all the changes are a guaranteed good thing. In total we will have a new

HC
DC
OC
OL coach
WR coach
QB coach

You can criticize the former HC, DC, OC, and OL coach, but if you step back and look at it big picture there is cause for concern. Not panic, but concern. The Colts did not win 12+ games 6 seasons in a row with bad coaching.

However, we didn't get those wins with coaching wizardry, either, but rather with quality players. We still have those. And while many of the coaches are new to their positions, they are not new to the Colts, so continuity is not completely lost.

The real test will be the games. That's why they play them. Until then NFL fans and the national media will over-react to the changes and predict silly things like this article did, and the Colts and their fans will probably downplay the changes a little too much. Myself, I am wary of the coaching changes but absolutely pumped to see what the new guys can do (both coaches and players, especially on the defensive side of the ball).

Geo
05-21-2009, 12:00 PM
From what I've seen, this has pretty much been all of what is said:

The team announced Friday that the jobs of longtime player personnel official Dom Anile and several others in the scouting department were eliminated in recent restructuring efforts.
Personally, I seriously doubt that actual scouts themselves have been let go.

As for the coaching changes, honestly I'm not too worried myself. For me Caldwell/Dungy is close to a wash, and Coyer and Rychleski are major improvements. So any concern is down to the offense, actually down to offensive coordinator because I think Metzelaars will do okay. He won't be as good as Mudd obviously, but I think he'll do a fine job. I just wonder if Clyde Christensen is good enough to be the offensive coordinator.

But honestly, I was/am not a big fan of Tom Moore. He's like the offensive version of Dungy, old school fundamentals are great, except what worked for the 70s Steelers doesn't work as well nowadays because there is a salary cap and you can't win on talent alone anymore. Dungy was a good coach at directing the team and building regular season success, but he and his staff made it so that the Colts had to win on talent alone. Too vanilla and unable to step up in the playoffs, the both of them.

I won't miss Moore's penchant for calling awful run plays all of last season, or even lack of designing quality intermediate routes for receivers on pass plays. But Christensen could be even worse, hence trepidation on that front, I am a little bit concerned. If Mudd and Moore do stick around as consultants, imo everything will be the same as before except in name only. So at least we've seen that works okay, although again, I am not a big fan of Tom Moore.

Geo
07-05-2009, 10:13 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-06-29/11-new-nfl-head-coaches-means-11-different-predictions-for-09

Mike Florio
Monday, Jun. 29, 2009 - 10:39 a.m. ET

Indianapolis Colts: Jim Caldwell

Caldwell is in a no-win position in Indianapolis. If the Colts are successful, he won't get much of the credit. And if they stink, he'll get all of the blame.

Given the ongoing presence of quarterback Peyton Manning, the Colts will still be viewed as a team that should be playing in January. So it'll take going 12-4 for Caldwell's first season to be viewed as a success.

That's a tall order. The Titans are still strong, the Texans are more due than ever to have a great year, and the up-and-down Jaguars could be headed back toward a solid season.

Still, because of Manning and not Caldwell, the Colts likely will win 10 games. Whether that's good enough to play beyond Week 17 remains to be seen.
I'm surprised Colts-hating dumbass Florio cracked double-digits in his prediction for the Colts, but he granted the Colts 10 whole wins on the season. Although Caldwell and his new coaching staff additions won't have a lick to do with it apparently, and if the Colts are really really lucky, just maybe the AFC won't be strong so they can get a wild card selection. Nice.

Btw call me crazy, but I fail to see how being hired for the head coaching job of the Indianapolis Colts organization is a "no-win situation". That strikes me as very much a win situation, actually. Boy was Mike Tomlin a dummy for taking the HC job in Pittsburgh after Bill Cowher retired, that was a no-win situation!

Geo
07-22-2009, 06:50 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Camp-countdown-AFC-South.html

Indianapolis Colts: The post-Dungy era begins

I still believe that the absence of Tony Dungy in Indy is one of the bigger stories as we prepare to kick off training camp because it signals change for the Colts and that always comes with plenty of questions.

I’m sure Jim Caldwell is a good coach, and he was promoted within the system – the same system that has made the Colts contenders for years – but that doesn’t hide the fact that this is still a transition year. As a player, how is it different? Are meetings longer, shorter? Do they lift at the same times during camp? Do the veterans get days off? Is there more hitting or less? These seem like minor details to you, but as a player, change is usually an unwelcome aspect of the game – because players are used to a certain routine, and in Indy, the veterans are use to the Tony Dungy routine. I have said this before, and I doubt that guys like Peyton Manning(notes) and Jeff Saturday(notes) will miss a beat, but for the younger guys, Dungy’s leadership will be missed.

This should be an interesting camp and learning experience for the Colts because even though Caldwell was with the team, it will still be different. August and September will tell us a lot in terms of how the Colts are doing with the transition.

RCAChainGang
07-22-2009, 11:21 PM
This is just absurd. Colts aren't getting any respect. Most all of these coaches are being replaced upcoming staff. I think the Colts will suprise people on how good they can be even with the changes if not even better. I love Tony Dungy I really do, but his absense won't throw us into a downward spiral.

As for OC why not just let Peyton do it? :D Just kidding but he knows the playbook so well I trust him enough.

Something els I would like to bring to the front is why are the Peyton is getting bashed and people are kissing up to Brady. They have a fantastic QB but I think it may come as a surprise to some people as to how the injury will effect him. Many people's lists have Tom Brady as #1 like Warren Sapp.

Geo
07-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Unlike 2008, Rod Woodson didn't even wait until the season to say that the Colts definitely won't make the playoffs. Nice.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8114028f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Woodson: Cause for concern

It's not just Tony Dungy. Remember, Ron Meeks is gone too. You've now replaced your head coach and your defensive coordinator, and then offensive coordinator Tom Moore won't be in the same capacity anymore.

I think you have to be concerned.

Yes, the Colts have Peyton Manning. But Manning doesn't play defense. Manning can't run the football. Manning isn't blocking. He's not calling the plays on defense.

Dungy was always calm, cool and collected in the face of adversity. He tried to find the positive in everything that happened. We don't know what's going to happen with Jim Caldwell yet. We don't know how he's going to react to players. We don't know how he's going to react to the tough times. We don't know how he's going to react when things aren't going well on the sidelines.

If you're not concerned as a Colts player or fan, then I think you're being unrealistic on how important Dungy and Meeks were to that team. That's not even considering Moore and Howard Mudd, who won't be there every day like they have in previous seasons.

There are questions marks with this team, and I don't see them making the playoffs.

Dam8610
07-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Same thing for Cris Carter just a moment ago. He just said the Colts' window "has closed". They're not even using the word closing anymore. I suppose these people are using the philosophy of "say the same thing enough times, and eventually you'll be right".

Philliez01
07-27-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm fine with the team right now. It's not like the Chiefs a few years ago when Trent Green and Priest Holmes were aging. At the critical positions, there is no real aging or huge concerns. Peyton isn't over the hill yet, hell he's still the best QB in the NFL in my eyes (homer vision, I don't care) and Wayne looked great once Peyton was able to find his stride.

Addai is an issue as is Sanders health, but I don't see a huge dropoff yet. If Peyton were 36 and Wayne was coming off major knee surgery, etc. then I could see the reasoning.

Geo
07-29-2009, 05:24 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090729/SPORTS01/907290399/Titans++Colts+AFC+South+favorites+again

"The Titans are still the biggest and the most powerful team in the division," said ESPN's Herm Edwards, former head coach of the Chiefs and Jets. "That's what wins in the AFC South."

The Titans, who were upset in the playoffs by the Ravens, have worked to improve a passing game that ranked 27th in the NFL last season by adding free-agent receiver Nate Washington from the Steelers and using their first-round pick on Kenny Britt, a physical wideout from Rutgers.

"The Titans are still the team to beat," said Alex Marvez, senior NFL writer for FoxSports.com. "I think Kerry Collins will be even better entering his first season as a Titans starter and the defensive staff/personnel department is good enough to compensate for the loss of Albert Haynesworth.
Someone should tell dumbass Herm Edwards (redundant I know) who won the AFC South the previous 5 years.

Geo
08-16-2009, 04:08 PM
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2009/8/16/991318/injuries-are-plaguing-the-colts

Injuries are plaguing the Colts. Karma baby.... Karma

The Jaguars will face a depleted Colts defense when they open the season. Starting DT Raheem Brock, and safeties Antoine Bethea and Bob Sanders are all injured, and may not make it back for the season opener.
Karma sounds like a tough opponent. Jacksonville should sign Karma to catch passes or defend the pass.

RCAChainGang
08-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Just watched that video.

At least Jaime Dukes stood up for us...

TACKLE
08-17-2009, 01:48 AM
Just watched that video.

At least Jaime Dukes stood up for us...

You do know that's not a good thing.

RCAChainGang
08-19-2009, 11:09 PM
You do know that's not a good thing.

Hahahahah awww. He's noth THAT bad. haha

Saints-Tigers
08-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Haters wanna hate, lovers wanna love, I don't even want, none of the above...

http://data55.sevenload.com/slcom/fs/pm/nhmmgfc/nuupegnkcefd.jpg

Geo
08-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Very true, well done, S-T.

Geo
09-02-2009, 01:04 AM
http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story?id=09000d5d81229513&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Bucky Brooks
After enjoying a long run as one of the AFC's premier teams, Colts will struggle in Jim Caldwell's first season and miss playoffs.
Prediction: 8-8, fourth in AFC South

AntoinCD
09-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Lol sorry to gatecrash the colts forum but my brothers a colts fan and he told me Bucky Brooks had yous finishing last in the division. I had to laugh at that, the guys an idiot, in fact he said the Patriots defense was aging which is the exact opposite so I wouldnt pay too much attention to him. Until someone else in the AFC south gets a qb that can compete with Manning then the colts start as favourites in my opinion

killxswitch
09-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Who the hell is Bucky Brooks?

Geo
09-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Peter King's picks for the season: (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html)

AFC South
Houston Texans 10-6
Indianapolis Colts 10-6
Tennessee Titans 9-7
Jacksonville Jaguars 6-10
Just barely cracking double-digit wins and losing the division to the Houston Texans.

I only wish the Colts didn't have to wait until Week 8 (Nov. 8th) to play the Texans. The schedule makers pity the poor Texans and have both divisional games in November, Week 8 and Week 12 (Nov. 29th). Cannot wait for those games, just wait and see.

Seamus2602
09-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Surely by pure Strength of Schedule we should win the division instead of the Texans?

Geo
09-08-2009, 06:19 PM
16 ESPN experts, not a single one picks the Colts to be in the Super Bowl. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/news/story?id=4424374)

7-11
09-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Peter King's picks for the season: (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html)

Just barely cracking double-digit wins and losing the division to the Houston Texans.

I only wish the Colts didn't have to wait until Week 8 (Nov. 8th) to play the Texans. The schedule makers pity the poor Texans and have both divisional games in November, Week 8 and Week 12 (Nov. 29th). Cannot wait for those games, just wait and see.

All i have to say to that is, what the flying **** is all this love for Houston about!? Seriously starting to annoy me, let them do something remotely impressive before announcing them as better teams than Indy and Tennessee. Would not shock me in the slightest if Jacksonville finished above them.

YAYareaRB
09-08-2009, 11:37 PM
If it makes you feel better, I just picked Peyton Manning in one of my Fantasy leagues.

7-11
09-08-2009, 11:42 PM
16 ESPN experts, not a single one picks the Colts to be in the Super Bowl. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/news/story?id=4424374)

Here is what these experts said about the MVP race

Matt Ryan with 1 vote
Phillip Rivers with 3 votes
Adrian Peterson with 4 votes
Drew Brees with 1 vote
Tom Brady with 6 votes
Aaron Rodgers with 1 vote

Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers. No disrespect, they're good players, but ask anyone with half a brain who they'd prefer for this upcoming season, and they'd take Peyton Manning.

Not one 'expert' chose Peyton Manning. 3-time MVP Peyton Manning. Healthy Peyton Manning. Peyton Manning with a better receiving core than he's had for years.

Don't even know what to say really.

d34ng3l021
09-08-2009, 11:43 PM
I don't know how people can doubt this badass:

http://temple3.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/peyton-manning-orchestrates.jpg

Geo
09-09-2009, 12:18 AM
All i have to say to that is, what the flying **** is all this love for Houston about!? Seriously starting to annoy me, let them do something remotely impressive before announcing them as better teams than Indy and Tennessee. Would not shock me in the slightest if Jacksonville finished above them.
Houston is the sexy pick. They are up-and-coming relatively speaking and had a very productive offense last year.

The Colts are old news, boring. Their players are good members of the community and the team follows its organizational plan year after year. They don't have steak and sizzle, they are more liver and onions.

This is why the media overblows things about the Colts, makes up stories, and tries to twist Peyton's words to make it that he supposedly throws teammates/coaches under the bus.

If it makes you feel better, I just picked Peyton Manning in one of my Fantasy leagues.
Excellent choice. The Colts have a prime schedule offensively, and Peyton is going to have a great year. Especially if your league offers 6 pts per passing TD and has playoff weeks 14-16.

Geo
09-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Here is what these experts said about the MVP race

Matt Ryan with 1 vote
Phillip Rivers with 3 votes
Adrian Peterson with 4 votes
Drew Brees with 1 vote
Tom Brady with 6 votes
Aaron Rodgers with 1 vote

Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers. No disrespect, they're good players, but ask anyone with half a brain who they'd prefer for this upcoming season, and they'd take Peyton Manning.

Not one 'expert' chose Peyton Manning. 3-time MVP Peyton Manning. Healthy Peyton Manning. Peyton Manning with a better receiving core than he's had for years.

Don't even know what to say really.
Eh, most of those votes would have been the same this time last year. And we saw how it worked out. They probably don't think he can pull it off, and like the above, are ready to move on. And who knows how it comes to work out - Peyton played better in '05 and '06 than he did in his MVP years '03 and '04, but Shaun Alexander and LaDainian Tomlinson set TD records in those years respectively, so they each were voted MVP.

I don't think Peyton cares much for the MVP at this point anyways. He won't verbalize it, but he wants to win championships. He wants to tie Brady. As a Colts fan, you focus your attention on the team, and in doing so you pick up on the little things and clues.

Anyways, despite the appearance of this thread, I'm actually glad the media disrespects the Colts at times. It's just funny some of the things said though, hence why I sought to collect some of them. Last year especially when people would literally say that the Colts were absolutely done and the coffin was nailed shut ... right.

But it's a what have you done for me today kind of league/world. So when the Colts are successful again, they'll get a pat on the back and a "good job, slugger" from the talking heads. Whatever.

Geo
09-09-2009, 01:09 AM
I don't know how people can doubt this badass:

http://temple3.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/peyton-manning-orchestrates.jpg
Heh. He is literally a franchise changer. If there are Colts fans who don't already recognize it, they need to recognize that this is a golden era, with Peyton Manning behind center. Truly a golden era, enjoy every minute of it.

I always get a kick when I think, if Peyton had declared for the NFL as a junior, he would have been taken 1st overall in 1997 by Bill Parcells and the Jets. Having Belichick as his defensive coordinator to boot, imagine that.

What I'm finding funny now is that Peyton is talked about like he's an old man, but he only turned 33 years old this past March. He's only a year older than Tom Brady and yet we never hear a thing about Brady's age. But that's because Peyton has been in the spotlight since college, the media is tired of him. They have nothing new to report on him.

I swear to you, when Peyton recently did his swing of the national media to promote the new DirecTV Sunday Ticket, almost every single one of them brought up retirement and his post-football career. I swear to you, I'll bring up the links to the videos to prove it. It was mind-boggling to say the least.

A story about Peyton using the offseason to strengthen his legs, because like Bill Parcells says, the most important thing for a QB is his legs, isn't good TV material. They respect his ability as a player and the success the Colts have had, so are thus obliged to pick them to make the playoffs somehow, but that's as far as that goes. That and the constant string of playoff failures under Tony Dungy (just like in Tampa Bay) make it inconceivable that the Colts could be successful in the playoffs.

We'll see. I'm very excited about the Colts this year.

What the media says isn't important anyways. What injuries occur, now that's important.

Matt Ryan really reminds me of a young Peyton, btw. I really underrated him coming out of college. Similar situation to Peyton to coming into the league but I think Ryan and the Falcons skipped the 98 season. They did so by the Falcons acquiring talent sooner.

I wonder about their transition on defense though, reminds me of the Colts' struggling defenses of 2000 and 2001, and also 2002 really, and what that prevented the Colts from doing. The Colts didn't win a playoff game until 2003, Peyton's 6th year in the league. I don't think Ryan will have to wait that long though, not at all. Much closer to half that.

But I think the Falcons could have a tougher schedule this year, could be tough for Ryan to have an MVP season as mentioned above. Still, the biggest jump in a player is between his first and second year, most people say.

I like the Colts schedule this year. The match-ups involved. That's why I drafted a lot of Colts guys in fantasy.

Geo
09-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Don Banks' power rankings (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/09/09/pre.regular.season/index.html)

12. Indianapolis Colts
I'm on record predicting the Colts will snap both their six-year streak of 12-win seasons and their seven-year streak of playoff trips, so why do I have them at No. 12, arguably the final postseason slot? Because it's not where you start, it's where you finish, as they say. And besides, I've got to do another 16 weeks worth of these here rankings, so grant me some latitude.

Seamus2602
09-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Sports Illustrated are terrible at predicting things so I wouldn't really worry.

Brent
09-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Peter King's picks for the season (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html)
Peter King is a piece of ****. He knows nothing about football.

d34ng3l021
09-09-2009, 05:51 PM

Matt Ryan really reminds me of a young Peyton, btw. I really underrated him coming out of college. Similar situation to Peyton to coming into the league but I think Ryan and the Falcons skipped the 98 season. They did so by the Falcons acquiring talent sooner.

I wonder about their transition on defense though, reminds me of the Colts' struggling defenses of 2000 and 2001, and also 2002 really, and what that prevented the Colts from doing. The Colts didn't win a playoff game until 2003, Peyton's 6th year in the league. I don't think Ryan will have to wait that long though, not at all. Much closer to half that.

But I think the Falcons could have a tougher schedule this year, could be tough for Ryan to have an MVP season as mentioned above. Still, the biggest jump in a player is between his first and second year, most people say.

I like the Colts schedule this year. The match-ups involved. That's why I drafted a lot of Colts guys in fantasy.

I toked up and read Peyton's wikipedia page and it was pure awesomeness. Definitely not enough to fully appreciate Manning's greatness (i only started watching football during the 04 playoffs), but it did a pretty good job. His understanding of football is amazing and the way he can carry any team is crazy. I find it ridiculous that people still believe Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison played a huge role in Peyton's success. Give Manning any receiver that can run routes well and catch a ball and he would put up great numbers as well; it is all about timing and accuracy with Peyton Manning.

And to be completely honest, Ryan reminds me of both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Call me a crazy, raging homer, but I think if you look at the best parts of each player's game, you can see hints of it with Ryan.

Comparisons between Ryan's work ethic with Manning are already evident and analysts make sure you don't forget that. Ryan earned the respect of his teammates by being the first guy at the facility and the last to leave, and it definitely showed. He is known to be a film junkie and was found in the film room the day after the Cardinals playoff loss. He was sent home early on Mon. because of a flu and showed up at the facility on Tues. (everyone's day off) to watch some film. I know these are limited tid bits, but it is part of the overall player that Ryan is: a film junkie and gym rat that is never satisfied and extremely modest (never will he take credit for a good play/game). The results of all this preparation shows on the field when he started running the no huddle by the 4th game of his rookie season (did Manning run no huddle as a rookie?) with relative success (redzone offense sucked). I don't know if we will ever become a no huddle team like the Colts, but I would hope it might be an option later down the line for Ryan.

While his on and off the field actions may simulate Manning's, a lot of people feel as if his intangibles are comparable to Tom Brady. His leadership and clutch-ness was raved about when he was still at BC and he took no time transferring that to the NFL. After inspiring teammates and obtaining the starting position, Ryan was voted team captain by the Falcons players, an honor Mike Smith thought was the best one that Ryan received. Matt also turned it up a notch during clutch time and brought us within 6 when we seemed out of it. In Philadelphia, the Falcons trailed 7-20 in the 4th and their last 5 possessions ended in 4 punts and 1 interception. Facing a 3rd and 15 with 7 minutes to go, Ryan drove the Falcons on a 14 play, 82 yard TD drive, while converting a 4th and 5 to bring the game within 1 TD with 1 possession left (refs called a muffed punt, but it wasnt). In Arizona during the playoffs, Ryan got the ball with 8 minutes left. In the last 6 possessions before, here is what happened: 1 safety, 1 interception, 1 def TD, and 3 punts. The game is 17-30. During that possessions, Ryan drove the Falcons on a 9 play, 58 yard TD drive to bring the score within 6. When the Falcons were about to get the ball back with 2 minutes to go, the defense couldn't stop a 3rd and 16. Oh, and that Chicago throw was pretty clutch too.

Sorry about that. I get carried away when talking about Ryan. I just can't believe he did all those things as a rookie.

Geo
09-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Wow, someone actually picked the Colts to win the Super Bowl.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/07/crystal.ball1/index.html

Lee Jenkins, you'll be the only one looking smart five months from now. Well done.

Geo
10-17-2009, 10:05 AM
For some strange reason there doesn't seem to be much new material, but here's a compilation of some idiocy that a Colts fan put together:

xR_itx8LGGA

scottyboy
10-18-2009, 10:26 AM
need to ask you guys something:
being at college I haven't been able to see many Colts games, which saddens me. You're one of my other favorite teams (not like Giants favorite, but you get what I mean). I love Peyton, Addai, Wayne, Sanders and of course Brackett and Foster <3333 and of course of course Dwight Freeney, who's my aunt's client and I've talked to over the phone!! :D

BUT my question(s): How's Foster been doing this year?
-Why's Bob always hurt? what's the plan with him?
-in my mock extravaganza, where should I lean with the Colts pick?
-How's the OL looking? I know they've been less than stellar at times, but I personally haven't been able to watch them

thanks in advance guys. Here's to a possible....no wait, I'm not gonna say it! no jinxing here!

Seamus2602
10-18-2009, 11:16 AM
How's Foster been doing this year?

Personally, I think Foster has been our best Defensive Tackle this season. Despite being very undersized for a DT he is doing pretty well against the run while out of the four of the DTs he has the best pass rushing skills.

Why's Bob always hurt?

Because he's a maniac. Bob Sanders puts himself in a position that men his size really shouldn't. If the D-Line breaks down, Bob will happily take on an Offensive Tackle. So there is the problem that Bob is undersized for a Strong Safety but is more aggressive than Adrian Wilson.

what's the plan with him?

If the Colts D had been playing badly I think you would have seen Bob on the field as early as Seattle, and definately against Tennessee. Because the D is playing well they are taking it slow. I expect to see him on the field against the Rams next week.

in my mock extravaganza, where should I lean with the Colts pick?

It depends on how the board falls. The main positions are:

OT: If the team don't want to give Charlie Johnson starting money then OT becomes a big need and could be addressed in the 1st.

NT: I don't see UT being addressed with Foster playing well and Moala still to contribute but both Mookie and Muir are out of contract (and neither are playing brilliantly) and so NT could easily be addressed as early as the 1st/2nd rounds, especially is someone like Vince Oghabassee is around in the bottom of the 2nd. Team might even trade up a few picks to get him like the did for Moala.

LB: Gary Brackett is out of contract and the team will probably look to get younger at MIKE. Could be addressed in the first 3 rounds.

DE: A pass rushing end could be brought in the latter rounds to spell for Freeney and Mathis. Definately only a late round pick, but if they could get a real good hybrid guy like Brandon Graham then they could take an early flyer on him to replace Raheem Brock.

CB: Depth here is the issue. With Powers showing what he can do it removes the worry given that Jackson is out of contract. Also, Jacob Lacey has impressed me this season and is already ahead of Tim "Will Dance for Penalties" Jennings. The problem is that there isn't much beyond that and we need good depth. A mid round selection.

FS: Bethea has been meh... this season. Sometimes playing well, sometimes playing really badly. The team could go for an early round prospect here.

S: Depth for both Safety positions gets called into question if Bullitt was to leave.

How's the OL looking? I know they've been less than stellar at times, but I personally haven't been able to watch them

Best pass blocking line in football. There I said it. Part of it may be Peyton but hell not as much as it has been that line.

Charlie Johnson has played well and there was a big contrast between him playing in the first 4 games and Ugoh playing against Tennessee.

Ryan Lilja is playing at a Pro Bowl level, in my opinion. He won't go because the run numbers aren't brilliant and because Lilja is underrated but he is still playing at that level.

Jeff Saturday has had his problems, in my opinion. He is still the best pass blocking Centre in the league but he has been a total liability in run blocking.

Mike Pollak has played decent but has had some growing pains. Some missed blocks and a few stupid penalties. The team have taken to spelling him with Kyle DeVan, who has done his job, nothing spectacular but nothing wrong either.

Ryan Diem has refound his form and is really going well, in my opinion. He gets a lot of flak because runs to the Right Tackle haven't worked but I watched a lot of plays and a lot of it isn't his fault. A lot of plays where Saturday is supposed to pull and he can't get out fast enough or where Dallas Clark is supposed to block but he doesn't etc.

MaxV
10-19-2009, 10:33 AM
No, I'm sorry, but our O-Line isn't the best pass-blocking unit in football. Peyton and our WRs play a big role in that.

Peyton makes quick decisions and opponents have a lot of problems covering all of our WRs/TEs/RBs.

Even despite this, Peyton faces some pressure.

But our O-Line is DEFINITELY better in pass-blocking then they are in Run-blocking.

As far as Foster, he's a good rotational player. He's at his best when he doesn't play a lot of snaps. He can bring a lot of energy to the line when he comes to the field fresh.

As far as needs go, I agree with you Seamus for the most part. Free Agency will be a factor in that.

As of right now (and it's still early), I would go:

1. OT......Ugoh looks like a bust, while Charlie Johnson is a temporary solution. On the other side, Diem is still decent, but you gotta wonder how many years he has left.
2. LB......Brackett is a decent starter but he might leave after this season. We are ok at OLB, but an upgrade can always be made.
3. OG/OC......Lilja is good, but Pollak hasn't developed as expected yet. Saturday is past his prime and might retire soon. Overall, we are ok here, but I want them to upgrade their run-blocking inside.
4. DT......Although I agree with Seamus that NT might be a bigger need then UT, I could still see us bringing another quick DT. Again we are in better shape here then in years past, but an upgrade can always be made.
5. DB......This area is tough to figure out right now. If we retain all of our current players, we are in good shape. But, as it always does, Free Agency could hit us in this area pretty hard in the next couple of years. Thankfully, Powers and Lacey look like good finds.