PDA

View Full Version : Holes to Fill?

hcbrad08
03-08-2007, 11:24 AM
What Holes for next season need to be filled during FA and what should be addressed during the draft.

IMO (some might overlap)

FA
OLB
RT

DRAFT
CB
RT
WR
DE
OG
DT
OLB
RB

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 12:46 PM
NEED'S:

RT
CB
NT

Could use an Upgrade:

OLB
RG
DE
TE

Wants:

WR

nyjets5125
03-08-2007, 03:50 PM
i would want marc colombo and nick harper in FA
and then in the draft addreess OLB, DE, DT, OG, and WR

derza222
03-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Needs:

RT

NT (not this draft)

LB (inside or outside assuming we trade Barton, we can put Hobson wherever there's a hole along with Vilma inside and Thomas outside, if we don't trade Barton it's more of an upgrade)

CB (not in the first, but I do think we at least need some depth day 1)

G (we need a run blocker. badly.)

Possible upgrades:

TE (only of an elite player becomes available)

S (same as TE, if we get a great player to pair with Rhodes I wouldn't mind)

DE (more as a backup/rotation guy since it seems Coleman will start and we have Ellis)

Wants/Pick for the future?

A potential #1 WR, or a good slot guy

nyjets5125
03-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Needs:

RT

NT (not this draft)

LB (inside or outside assuming we trade Barton, we can put Hobson wherever there's a hole along with Vilma inside and Thomas outside, if we don't trade Barton it's more of an upgrade)

CB (not in the first, but I do think we at least need some depth day 1)

G (we need a run blocker. badly.)

Possible upgrades:

TE (only of an elite player becomes available)

S (same as TE, if we get a great player to pair with Rhodes I wouldn't mind)

DE (more as a backup/rotation guy since it seems Coleman will start and we have Ellis)

Wants/Pick for the future?

A potential #1 WR, or a good slot guy

completley agreed, except the NT, we need somoeone to clog up the middle, it dosent have to be a top player, it just has to be someone who can help us out until we get a true dominant NT

derza222
03-08-2007, 04:07 PM
I'd go for a NT this year in a heartbeat but there is NOBODY worth taking this year. Anybody we go for at NT would be a waste of a pick because they probably won't have any success. I'll wait till next year. It's a need this year but there's no good way to fill it.

hcbrad08
03-08-2007, 04:28 PM
About the comment that we need an upgrade at Safety along side Kerry Rhodes...I've met Erik Coleman and Kerry Rhodes and Coleman is a beast. He's a little shorter than me maybe an inch I'm 6'0'' and he's huge his biceps are ridiculous whereas rhodes was impressive but lanky, he obviously is strong and impressive but he's not built like Coleman which is a good thing. Just liek Washington and Jones; rhodes is long and moves well and Coleman is stout compact and a good tackler and provides what a SS should run support and he can cover in a drop zone scheme. They provide a very good safety tandem and they're only improving under Mangini. Last year coleman had more tackles than Rhodes and an INT (3 less than Rhodes) I don't think anything in the safety corp needs an upgrade he is a very good player... I would definitely say he's better at his position than Baker was a TE and it's not the same scenario where we are in a position to draft a guy like Geg Olsen at SS who could be a guy who puts up better numbers than Coleman. If you watch Jets TV they had an interview where he works on his flexibility and another where the Jets had him improving his speed by .1 seconds in straight sprints. He's not as powerful in the run game as Roy Williams but he is much much much better in coverage. I think he's going to be on that level of a really good SS in everyone's eyes soon (although he should have been before) ESPN had him listed as our 8th best player last year and he's only improved. Safety depth is probably the last of our concerns especially since the Jets spent a pick at Safety last year to provide depth, you can't do that every year. Coleman Rhodes is and should be a feared tandem over the middle deep and in the box, especially with both capable of blitzing effectively.

derza222
03-08-2007, 04:48 PM
For the safety position what I was saying wasn't that we needed an upgrade, but if somebody falls to us we can give it a shot on draft day. We'd have to at least think about Reggie Nelson although his grades may scare us off, and if somebody like Griffin falls for the second we'd have to give him a look. More if the value is awesome we could upgrade there, but if not I have no problems with our safety tandem. Same with tight end, if Olsen falls fine but if not I'm okay with Baker. Our safety tandem is fine, but if we find a great value I'd like to take somebody there, whereas I'd pass on guys at positions like QB, HB, LT, and C, as well as a #2 WR type if the value was good. I don't think I'd pass on any defensive player that was a great value unless he had off the field problems or didn't fit the scheme.

nyjets5125
03-08-2007, 05:25 PM
i compltely agree with hcbrad, we have great great starting safeties, and spent a day 1 pick on eric smith last year who mangini relaly likes, and i would be dissapointed if we drafted a safety day 1 no matter who it is unless we address every signel need in FA which i doubt is happening, IMO S is the area we need the least besides LT and OC

Crickett
03-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Free agency:
CB
RT

Draft:
Pass rushing OLB
OG
RT
WR
NT
TE (maybe)

hcbrad08
03-10-2007, 02:31 AM
For the safety position what I was saying wasn't that we needed an upgrade, but if somebody falls to us we can give it a shot on draft day. We'd have to at least think about Reggie Nelson although his grades may scare us off, and if somebody like Griffin falls for the second we'd have to give him a look. More if the value is awesome we could upgrade there, but if not I have no problems with our safety tandem. Same with tight end, if Olsen falls fine but if not I'm okay with Baker. Our safety tandem is fine, but if we find a great value I'd like to take somebody there, whereas I'd pass on guys at positions like QB, HB, LT, and C, as well as a #2 WR type if the value was good. I don't think I'd pass on any defensive player that was a great value unless he had off the field problems or didn't fit the scheme.

Gotcha I thought you were dissin my boy coleman who IMO will be a peobowler or that guy everyone says is over shadowed by Rhodes. I love our Safties

BroadwayJoe10
03-10-2007, 02:06 PM
I saw this on a differnet website forum

"Any reason why the Jets can't make an offer to OT Max Starks from the Steelers? I haven't seen that they had offered him the first round tender so I'm not sure what he would cost but I do know a few things:

1. He's young and one of the best tackles (right) in the league
2. At 6-7, 337, he'd add size and talent to the OL
3. Has only started two seasons and has been in the league for 3.
4. He was drafted as a 3rd rounder

If he has not been offered a first, second or first & third tender, then we would only have to give up a 3rd round (albeit, low 3rd) for compensation since he's a restricted free agent. Pittsburgh conversely, has very little room under the cap and probably couldn't afford to match a decent offer made by the Jets. Does anyone know if he indeed has or has not been offered a tender? Appreciate any feedback."

i havn't looked into this but was wondering if there is any validaty to this guys statement???

BroadwayJoe10
03-10-2007, 02:19 PM
nevermind i just saw that the steelers placed the first round tender on him

Crickett
03-10-2007, 02:46 PM
He has been given a first round tender by the Steelers.

I'd also rate Max Starks as just outside the top ten-twelve of right tackles in the NFL.

Gang Green
03-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Why exactly is WR a need?

Crickett
03-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Why exactly is WR a need?

I listed WR, but what I really meant was slot WR. As to why? Because Justin McCareins needs to not be a Jet anymore IMO.

AMJets
03-10-2007, 05:54 PM
The right side of the OL is the biggest concern for me. After that, it's DE (Coleman will be very good, but the position still needs improvement), and OLB (the likely signing of Bowens, who will be a situational pass-rusher there, may change that).

CB, WR, and TE also can be improved. I wouldn't even worry about safety, we already have one All Pro caliber player there, one solid player (Coleman), and one guy that I personally feel will breakout to become one of the better strong safeties in the NFL (Smith).

nyjets5125
03-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Free agency:
CB
RT

Draft:
Pass rushing OLB
OG
RT
WR
NT
TE (maybe)

i agree taht a lot of this, but from this i was thignkinga botu something, ive been saying along with most jet fans that we need a pass rushing OLB, but we have thomas, dont you guys think it might be better off to sign/draft a runstopping or balanced OLB? i would love to have a rushing OLB but would a run OLB make more sense?

nyjets5125
03-11-2007, 12:00 AM
I listed WR, but what I really meant was slot WR. As to why? Because Justin McCareins needs to not be a Jet anymore IMO.

yeah and because coles is almsot done, and without mccareins we have no rleiable reciever behind our starting 2, we would have dwight and smith, dwithgt is gettign older and hastn really been anything as a WR in his pro career, and smith is a rookie who doesnt have expericen at the position and might be better off being used sparingly at WR and as a special teamer and RB

Crickett
03-11-2007, 06:51 AM
i agree taht a lot of this, but from this i was thignkinga botu something, ive been saying along with most jet fans that we need a pass rushing OLB, but we have thomas, dont you guys think it might be better off to sign/draft a runstopping or balanced OLB? i would love to have a rushing OLB but would a run OLB make more sense?

I remember prior to this season since Thomas had many detractors (including myself) because he had not proven himself to be the pass rushing threat at the pro level he was drafted to be. I seem to recall his advocates among Jets fans bring up his run stopping skills. Has the move to OLB changed this?

A lot of people see a need to improve cornerback. And while the Jets could certainly draft one in what is a pretty good CB year, the bigger need IMO is to improve the pass rush. Even if that means drafting a situational pass rusher later in the draft.

BroadwayJoe10
03-11-2007, 11:36 AM
exactly...a top notch cornerback is never a bad thing to have, but in our system a top notch pass rush is a better thing to have...with our front 7 gettin after the qb it allows for our cornerbacks to not be put out on an island as much