PDA

View Full Version : My hitchhiking adventure

someone447
05-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Well, the time is coming for me to take off on my hitchhiking trip. It's only about two weeks from now. The girl I am supposed to be going with may need surgery on her hip flexor. She will find out in Rome the day before she is supposed to fly to meet me to leave. So she might be out of it, but I know myself enough to know that if I don't go this summer I'll never do it, and it will lead to a snowball effect and I won't end up doing any of the traveling I am planning on. So its looking like I may be taking this trip this summer by myself. It's gonna be a lot tougher, but I'm also gonna have about 100$ more than I expected to have, so I'll be able to figure something out.

Ravens1991
05-09-2009, 09:53 PM
This is a crazy idea to do it solo. What did your parents say when you told them what you are doing?

Boston
05-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Go for it. The best stories always come from the unknown and the unplanned. It might even end up working out better for you that way, you just have to be open to new things.

jayceheathman
05-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Well, the time is coming for me to take off on my hitchhiking trip. It's only about two weeks from now. The girl I am supposed to be going with may need surgery on her hip flexor. She will find out in Rome the day before she is supposed to fly to meet me to leave. So she might be out of it, but I know myself enough to know that if I don't go this summer I'll never do it, and it will lead to a snowball effect and I won't end up doing any of the traveling I am planning on. So its looking like I may be taking this trip this summer by myself. It's gonna be a lot tougher, but I'm also gonna have about 100$ more than I expected to have, so I'll be able to figure something out.

I thought this was stupid but the guy is from El Paso and El Paso=Mexico so if he can survive that then this should be nothing.

Xonraider
05-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I once went hitchhiking with my brother Kyle and ended up singing the greatest song in the world to the Devil

someone447
05-09-2009, 10:31 PM
I thought this was stupid but the guy is from El Paso and El Paso=Mexico so if he can survive that then this should be nothing.

Ya, I went to Juarez, MX twice a week for a year(Juarez is where all the drug violence is happening.) My buddy and I walked a mile into downtown Juarez completely shitfaced and we made it back ok, so I'm not too worried.

Go for it. The best stories always come from the unknown and the unplanned. It might even end up working out better for you that way, you just have to be open to new things.

That's why I'm doing it. If I bail on this I won't make my trip to Europe when I graduate, or go to Asia after.

This is a crazy idea to do it solo. What did your parents say when you told them what you are doing?

They were actually supportive. They just told me to be careful and make sure I call them every 3 days. I told my mom I would be going regardless if my friend could come or not, and she is freaking out a little. But she understands, and also knows that I have lived in the middle of major cities for most of my life, so I know how to deal with people who might **** me up.

I was really surprised by my parents reaction. I am eventually hoping to be a war reporter, and they know that, so hitchiking will be part of my job. I think they are just hoping I do it in America for the next few years and decide that isn't the lifestyle for me. But I honestly couldn't ask for better parents. They understand that I need to do things like this, and they know that I will call and come back to see them whenever I get the chance.

Brent
05-09-2009, 10:34 PM
If you find your way to Houston, Dallas or around either, let me know and I'll gladly help in any way I can.

someone447
05-09-2009, 10:37 PM
If you find your way to Houston, Dallas or around either, let me know and I'll gladly help in any way I can.

From everything I have read, Texas is a bad place to hitch hike from. So I think I will head west before I head south. I was hoping to make it to the Houston area, but it would be too tough to make it all the way out to El Paso. But if this goes as good as I am expecting, I'll be doing this again sometime, and I'll make sure to hit you up.

Yeah, hit me up if you come near Shreveport, LA.

Same goes for you.

Thanks a lot all you guys.

CJSchneider
05-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah, hit me up if you come near Shreveport, LA.

Brent
05-09-2009, 10:39 PM
From everything I have read, Texas is a bad place to hitch hike from. So I think I will head west before I head south. I was hoping to make it to the Houston area, but it would be too tough to make it all the way out to El Paso. But if this goes as good as I am expecting, I'll be doing this again sometime, and I'll make sure to hit you up.
Dude, I-35 is like the superhighway from Mexico to Canada so if you get on there, it's likely that there are several truckers who might give you a lift.

someone447
05-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Dude, I-35 is like the superhighway from Mexico to Canada so if you get on there, it's likely that there are several truckers who might give you a lift.

Ya, getting down to Texas wouldn't be too hard. But from what I have read on a couple hitchhiking message boards, I-10 in Texas is a *****.

Brent
05-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I-10 in Texas is a *****.
Undoubtedly, given where it goes. But if you need a ride out of Houston, I could pick you up and you can party here before taking you to Austin (if you'd like).

Paranoidmoonduck
05-09-2009, 11:15 PM
How far are you planning to go on this trip?

jayceheathman
05-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Ya, getting down to Texas wouldn't be too hard. But from what I have read on a couple hitchhiking message boards, I-10 in Texas is a *****.

Thats because for 95% of the time you are in the middle of nowhere if you follow I-10 in Texas. If you start in Houston and go west then you got Houston and then San Antonio about 3 hours outside of Houston and then after that its a bunch of nothing until El Paso. I have done the drive from El Paso to Houston and it will take you at least a good 12 hours just to get across the state

brat316
05-10-2009, 12:04 AM
where are you planning on ending up, starting from El Paso, and going to like what Canada, or Washington.

Shane P. Hallam
05-10-2009, 12:10 AM
yeah. I doubt you'll be heading out East, but if you need any help in PA, I may be able to lend a hand!

PACKmanN
05-10-2009, 01:04 AM
me and my cousin plan on hitchhiking to Vancouver for the Olympics :)

tjsunstein
05-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Well I doubt you're going to come through NJ at all, would you?

fischbowl
05-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Like I said before, follow the Unwritten Book of the Road

http://www.newsaskew.com/va5/george_jsbsb.jpg

SuperKevin
05-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm guessing at least 2 rapes will occur on this trip

someone447
05-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Like I said before, follow the Unwritten Book of the Road

http://www.newsaskew.com/va5/george_jsbsb.jpg

Thats what the substance we can't talk about it is for.

Thats because for 95% of the time you are in the middle of nowhere if you follow I-10 in Texas. If you start in Houston and go west then you got Houston and then San Antonio about 3 hours outside of Houston and then after that its a bunch of nothing until El Paso. I have done the drive from El Paso to Houston and it will take you at least a good 12 hours just to get across the state

Ya, the drive from Houston to EP is terrible, easily the most boring drive I've ever taken.

How far are you planning to go on this trip?

Milwaukee, WI-El Paso, TX-San Diego, CA-Portland, OR-Milwaukee, Wi so it's gonna be a very long way.

If this goes well, I may make a loop east next year, just because I've never been to most of the East Coast.

Brent
05-10-2009, 11:04 AM
are you going to be like Dean Moriarty or Sal Paradise on this trip?

someone447
05-10-2009, 11:09 AM
are you going to be like Dean Moriarty or Sal Paradise on this trip?

Probably in between the two of them, but leaning towards Sal(at least Sal in the middle of the book.)

TitleTown088
05-10-2009, 12:42 PM
I bet you'll end up in a suitcase somewhere in the southwest.

I'll be living in South Dakota in about two weeks. I'd be glad to take you to Mt. Rushmore if you're in the neighborhood.

someone447
05-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Well, I am taking this trip alone now. The girl I was going to be going with definitely needs surgery, one of her tendons is separated in two places and she is going to be bedridden for a couple months.

This makes this trip a hell of a lot more difficult. But **** it, I'm going anyway. I'm leaving in a few days.

Gay Ork Wang
05-22-2009, 09:56 AM
ha i wish you good luck and have fun with it.

CJSchneider
05-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah, best of luck. I hope you remain safe during your journey. Take lots of pictures.

brat316
05-22-2009, 10:48 AM
DO IT. make sure you haz interwebz where ever you go. Keep a journal, and then write a book about your experiences, like most people who go backpacking do.

Also I read that having trade or skill set helps, so learning to cook can be a plus.

SuperKevin
05-22-2009, 11:29 AM
If you're good with cars offer to give people who give you a ride a free oil change

someone447
05-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Well, I leave tomorrow morning. I'll be heading to El Paso first, so I'll try to do a little write up once I get there. I figure it won't be too hard since I'll be writing the whole way down there.

the decider13
05-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Good luck on your trip. I don't even like to drive long distances...never the less hitchhike

brat316
05-25-2009, 11:57 PM
hopefully you don't get hacked into little pieces...stay clear of strangers and vans and old guys that say they have candy.

DHVF
05-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Crazy idea dude. Props for actually havin to guts to go through with it and good luck along your trip. Be safe!