PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers: 2009 vs 2008

TigerWoods
05-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Who here thinks Rodgers will improve his overall play (numbers) in his 2nd season as starter?

He won't have the same amount of GIGANTIC pressure as he did last year with the Favre Summer Circus, which carried over to every single game starting with the opener against the Purple.

We all know Rodgers late game heroics have to get better. But overall, his numbers, passer rating, were fantastic for a 1st season starting.

Will his 2009 passer rating be better or worse than 2008?

Passer Rating 93.8
TDs: 28
Ints: 13
Yards: 4,038
Compl %: 63.6

Favre4ever
05-11-2009, 07:29 AM
I think the sky is the limit for this guy. He has a better arm than people around the league thought, very good on the run and at escaping pressure. He got sacked a little bit too much for my taste but it will change with experience.

As for the late game heroics, it also comes with experience. I remember Eli Manning throwing picks in 4th quarters in his first seasons. Nobody thought he would ever be good in those situations but he proved in his super bowl year that he could do it.

Rodgers had a wonderful first season but i think he has a lot of room for improvement, which is kind of scary. The offensive line and the running game were very inconsistent and he played with a badly banged up throwing shoulder on which they relied upon a lot to win games, which is a bit unfair.

If the offensive line play can improve, Rodgers will surpass his numbers from last year. We are very lucky to have a guy like Rodgers when we've been spoiled by Favre for many years.

AJHawk50
05-11-2009, 08:26 AM
I think he will only improve and will be a little better for the upcoming season. That's talking about HIM personally, hopefully that will translate into more wins on the field.

thenewfeature06
05-11-2009, 08:30 AM
I voted for the wins to double because there wont be as much pressure on rodgers IMO because of how ted thompson addressed the defense in this years draft

bored of education
05-11-2009, 08:38 AM
I am really pulling for AR this year. He is one of my favorite players in the game and he is one sexy bastard.

Mr.Regular
05-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I really don't see his stats changing much. The defense breaking down and 4th quarter meltdowns is what hurt this team last year, so by fixing those we should win double digit games IMO. Aaron really won't be asked to do much more than he did last year, so I think he should have very similar stats to what he had last year with many more wins.

TigerWoods
05-11-2009, 09:15 AM
So none of us are prepared for a "sophomore slump".
I sure hope we're all correct.

The biggest worry I have his the injury factor. To him, but also to Jennings.
If Jennings were to miss time, that really really hurts this offense and Rodgers directly. A lot of that is luck, but in Arod's case, the OL needs to protect him better, a lot better. I want him protected back there like Peyton Manning was for his first 10 years, like Favre was is last 5 or so with us, and like Dan Marino was for years.

I think Arod can be a lot better too, because I think James Jones was missing last year, and I think Jermichael Finley is going to blossom into a younger version of Tony Gonzalez.

umphrey
05-11-2009, 01:57 PM
I think our offensive line will play better giving him more time to find a receiver and a balanced rushing attack. Tauscher's gone and Clifton is getting old, but I think the overall talent is better this year and will lead to improved unit play.

bored of education
05-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Plus he has Jordyzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!

princefielder28
05-11-2009, 02:01 PM
I think our offensive line will play better giving him more time to find a receiver and a balanced rushing attack. Tauscher's gone and Clifton is getting old, but I think the overall talent is better this year and will lead to improved unit play.

I'm a bit confused by this post and I hope you can explain to me better of what you mean.

You think the offensive line will play better and give Rodgers more time even though we lost our most consistent blocker in Mark Tauscher and our most recognized tackle, Clifton, continues to get older, not better. Rodgers may be more experience and will have more comfort with his game this year, but there are too many question marks with the offensive line to think that the running game will be better and Rodgers' protection will be just as good, if not better.

TigerWoods
05-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Are people aware that Tauscher has given up like a total of 12 sacks in his entire career?
How does the OL get better at protecting Rodgers by losing him???????

That sounds like wishful, fantasy thinking there to me.

umphrey
05-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I understand your disagreements. I just felt like Tauscher and Clifton played really poorly in 08 while the interior of our line was actually pretty solid in pass pro. Tauscher and Clifton both dealt with fairly severe injuries as well, perhaps leading to their lackluster play. (Also, wasn't Wells hurt? Chalk up another healthy body we get back if so)

I think their performances last year are overrated by a lot of fans. I feel that, as a group, the 9-10 linemen we keep will perform better than those in 08. As you watched the group get put together by Thompson, this year looks like the one where his group has taken over. We get a few young, fairly talented guys every year. I think it's finally been long enough to see a few of those guys emerge as starter material. You can really tell how different some of the guys look physically.

Yeah, I'm going out on a limb a bit, but it's a crowded unit and hopefully a mix of healthy competition and natural physical development turn into results for us. We've had such a young OL for so long...they are finally starting to get there.

Particularly, I think TJ Lang and Jamon Meredith are some of the best line prospects we've added to the team. I also think Barbre is going to strike gold in his third year.

johbur
05-12-2009, 02:36 AM
I also think the line has the chance to be better this year. Clifton might not be what he was 5 years ago, but with a line of, say: Clifton, Lang, Spitz, Sitton and Colledge (yes, I know they want him to be an OG, but I don't think Meredith, Moll, Giacomini are better than him), the interior will be thugging people and interior running helps the QB and converts short yardage.

ARod also another year in the system and if he gets his throws down with the WRs and they catch the ball, I thik he has a chance to cut his INTs in half this year while keeping around the same number of TDs.

With the interior run game improved, Quinn paving the way as an example, perhaps ARod only throws 25 TDs due tot he Grant getting ten rushing TDs. Toss in the defensive overhaul and Capers, and I see at least half those close losses from last year converting to victories.

Burger
05-12-2009, 10:44 PM
If he cuts his picks in half, you might as well call him the best QB in the NFL.

jsa230
05-13-2009, 12:51 AM
First off i have high ecpectations for this defense. The D should easily be in the top 15-10 imo. With that said, Rodgers obviously won't have to throw the ball as much.
His completions/attempts/yards will go down. That comes hand in hand with int.s so this is what i expect.

Passer Rating 90-97
TDs: 25
Ints: 7-10
Yards: 3,300+
Compl %: 65+
I honestly think AR will one day rival brett Favre in greatness. I have super high hopes, our o-line is set, our skill players are set, and i want to be the first to say this, this is BJax year to break out (by break out i mean 750 yards and 5 tds) and i think he will challenge Grant for the starting spot.

Favre4ever
05-13-2009, 09:48 AM
First off i have high ecpectations for this defense. The D should easily be in the top 15-10 imo. With that said, Rodgers obviously won't have to throw the ball as much.
His completions/attempts/yards will go down. That comes hand in hand with int.s so this is what i expect.

Passer Rating 90-97
TDs: 25
Ints: 7-10
Yards: 3,300+
Compl %: 65+
I honestly think AR will one day rival brett Favre in greatness. I have super high hopes, our o-line is set, our skill players are set, and i want to be the first to say this, this is BJax year to break out (by break out i mean 750 yards and 5 tds) and i think he will challenge Grant for the starting spot.
I'm with you my friend. Rodgers is one hell of a smart QB. I dont know a lot of QB who had as good as a first season in the league that he had, rookie or not. Keep in mind, he can only get better. He practically had no defense help last year and was forced to carry the offense on his badly injured shoulder. I remember him going strike for strike with Drew Brees in that blowout game, with no running game at all and the defense not showing up.

Rodgers has a gun of an arm, is a great runner to escape the pressure and a student of the game. I see him having 30 td's + seasons and 12 int - seasons for a long time.

FlyingElvis
05-13-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic. The RB position seems to have such a dramatic affect on a team when the #1 guy has holdout +/- injury issues and misses camp/preseason. I know Grant is not a true #1 stud, but he is clearly the best RB in GBay so the same affect exists.

Come into camp with a healthy RB, healthy O-line w/more depth, and no Favre media frenzy and the Pack should enjoy a relatively quiet "under the radar" summer. Add in some help on D and I expect there to be less pressure on Rodgers which can never hurt.

Burger
05-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Could Rodgers possibly go to the Hall of Fame?

Yatta!
05-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Erm, maybe we should wait a bit before we have this conversation.

Burger
05-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Erm, maybe we should wait a bit before we have this conversation.

If he does as good as last year, it will be raised. I love my Cal guys.

johbur
05-15-2009, 04:03 AM

Absolutely. If he throws for 4000 yards and has 32 total TDs for another 9 seasons, he's in. It'd help if he had a ring or five on his hand as well...

Burger
05-17-2009, 01:48 PM
With what Dom Capers is doing, I can see this team winning in 2010

FlyingElvis
05-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Absolutely. If he throws for 4000 yards and has 32 total TDs for another 9 seasons, he's in. It'd help if he had a ring or five on his hand as well...

lollerskates and . . .

http://www.kreativekorp.com/miscpages/omgwtfbbq/roflcopter.gif

tjsunstein
05-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Where is the huge step forward option? I think this guy has his worst season behind him already. Expecting anything less than a division title this year would be an insult to our talent which is led by Rodgers.