PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Sun Belt QB and RB rankings

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-11-2009, 05:08 PM
I am going to be putting together a compilation thread of all the FBS and FCS conferences of quarterbacks and running backs. I have only taken 1 QB and 1 RB from each school as of now, but plan to add them after other give some input and advice. I would love some feedback and criticism. These rankings are to reflect there potential as an NFL prospect regardless of class.

Sun Belt QB Rankings
1. Rusty Smith, Florida Atlantic, Senior, 6’5/230
2. Levi Brown, Troy, Senior, 6’4/219
3. Trey Revell, Louisiana-Monroe, Junior, 6’5/218
4. Brad McGuire, Louisiana-Lafayette, R-Sophomore, 6’3/215
5. Riley Dodge, North Texas, Sophomore, 6’0/182
6. Paul McCall, Florida International, Senior, 6’1/198
7. Corey Leonard, Arkansas State, Senior, 6’1/205
8. Dwight Dasher, Middle Tennessee State, 5'10/204

Sun Belt RB Rankings
1. Reggie Arnold, Arkansas State, Senior, 5’9/220
2. Cam Montgomery, North Texas, Senior, 6’1/210
3. DuJuan Harris, Troy, Junior, 5’7/183
4. Darriet Perry, Florida International, Sophomore, 5’9/195
5. Phillip Tanner, Middle Tennessee State, Senior, 6’0/211
6. Frank Goodin, Louisiana-Monroe, Junior, 5’9/200
7. Julian Shankle, Louisiana-Lafayette, R-Sophomore, 5’10/200
8. William Rose, Florida Atlantic, Senior, 6’1/227

wicket
05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
paul mccall is both 6 and 8. you missed the guy from middle tennessee state

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-11-2009, 05:16 PM
paul mccall is both 6 and 8. you missed the guy from middle tennessee state

Good catch.

princefielder28
05-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Rusty Smith and Cam Montgomery are the only players worth talking about IMO

SuperKevin
05-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Rusty Smith and Cam Montgomery are the only players worth talking about IMO

Scouts seem to really like Levi Brown though.

princefielder28
05-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Scouts seem to really like Levi Brown though.

His size and athleticism for his size are definitely intriguing tools to work with but he doesn't seem to have the strongest arm in the world and he needs alot of work on his fundamentals. He's a late round propsect at this point.

I know that sounds like a generic answer too, but if you watch him you'll see what I mean. For example, when he gets flustered or the pocket breaks down he drops the ball down quite a bit and he doesn't position himself to be ready to throw to an open target. When he wants to put touch on his passes he has a tendency to drop his elbow instead of coming over the top and balls will sail if you do that. With more experience he may be able to iron out those flaws but at this point those are two areas of concerns, and there are more, like the arm strength, which I am not diving into right now.

CashmoneyDrew
05-11-2009, 06:23 PM
MTSU all the way!!!!

DoughBoy
05-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Maybe Danny Carmichael will get Drafted!!!!

or not.

brownsrodeo88
10-18-2009, 06:33 PM
His size and athleticism for his size are definitely intriguing tools to work with but he doesn't seem to have the strongest arm in the world and he needs alot of work on his fundamentals. He's a late round propsect at this point.

I highly disagree with the latter part of what you said. This is what MTSU's Defensive Coordinator had to say about Brown after he played him 2 weeks ago:

"Since we've been here [at MTSU], he [Brown] might have the strongest arm of any quarterback we've faced. The only ones right there with him would be [Louisville's] Brian Brohm and Hunter Cantwell. He can make any throw, including the deep comeback -- the so-called NFL throw -- and he's got a great deep ball. He's easily the best quarterback we've seen in five games this year. There's no question about that." ..., DNJ.com

brownsrodeo88
10-18-2009, 06:58 PM
And Corey Leonard is IMO, at least the no 4 QB in the conference. Riley Dodge is a huge injury liability.

wonderbredd24
10-19-2009, 09:39 PM
I got a chance to watch FAU v. North Texas

Rusty Smith is a heckuva QB in what looks to be a horrible class.

- Great Arm
- Pretty good mechanics and a quick release that reminds me of Rivers
- Excellent mobility, though he does not look comfortable throwing on the run
- He doesn't play in a Pro Style offense, but he does take snaps under center
- His numbers don't reflect it, but I thought he was pretty accurate.

He appears to have fared relatively well against South Carolina too.

No idea where this kid will get drafted, but I really like him and I already like him better than Pike, Tebow, and LeFevour

ElectricEye
10-19-2009, 09:46 PM
I was huge on him a few years ago, but I haven't seen him light it up like he did then since. Regressed in almost every statistical category since then and seemed to be battling through games moreso than playing like a big fish in a small pond. The talent around him has been pretty terrible, but this year he has a fairly competent running game. He should be more accurate. He's got the arm and his mechanics are good, but the rest hasn't come together like I thought it would.

DoughBoy
10-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Levi Brown is actually a draftable QB? He went to my highschool. I think he graduated a year or 2 or 3 before me. Our only claim to fame besides the womens basketball coach for Florida and Alysha Clark.

wonderbredd24
10-19-2009, 10:30 PM
I will be very interested to see if he plays in one of the All Star games to see how he does in that arena

ElectricEye
10-19-2009, 10:32 PM
I will be very interested to see if he plays in one of the All Star games to see how he does in that arena

Assuming you're talking about Smith, yeah, that could be really big for him. He probably won't get a sniff at the Senior Bowl, but he could very well be a prime candidate for the Shrine Game.

brownsrodeo88
10-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Levi Brown is actually a draftable QB? He went to my highschool. I think he graduated a year or 2 or 3 before me. Our only claim to fame besides the womens basketball coach for Florida and Alysha Clark.

Going in to the year I think it was a pretty clear consensus that Rusty Smith and Corey Leonard were the two best QBs, but that was only because Levi Brown only played about half of a season. Even durin that time he was SBC Newcomer of the Year and had 15 tds and 3 ints, including a game where he attempted 72 passes vs LSU where a combination between no running game and lots of drops doomed Troy to giving up a 31-3 lead late in third.

Smith has really struggled to shine in the ways everyone kept saying he would, he has a lower completion percentage and a less impressive TD/INT ratio. I understand stats are everything, but it seems to me production has to play in to it. I also don't buy the idea that he doesnt have any weapons around him, FAU's got some of the SBC's best WRs and a very servicable RB in Alfred Morris. Protection for Rusty I suppose is more of an issue.

Brent
10-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Riley Dodge... should have gone to A&M rather than play for your dad.

brownsrodeo88
10-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Levi Brown has been SBC Offensive Player of the Week 3 out of the last 4 games he's played in.