PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Defensive Tackles

Pages : [1] 2

Thumper
05-12-2009, 08:32 PM
This 2010 DT draft class might just be the best ever. There are four guys who could potentially go in the top 10.

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/FedEx+BCS+National+Championship+Game+QFxtfPu_PtBl. jpghttp://huskersgameday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mister-suh.jpg
Gerald McCoy and Ndamukong Suh figure to be great in the NFL and have proven their worth in the college ranks. McCoy had a fantastic season and looks like a great UT in the making (10 TFL and 6.5 sacks, named to the all American 2nd team). Suh had an even better season and looks like a prototype 4-3 NT at 6'4" and 305+ pounds. Suh had 76 tackles, 16.5 TFL and 7.5 sacks in 2008. But even more impressive was his two interceptions, both of which were returned for touchdowns and two blocked kicks. Both players had a coming out party in their bowl games, Gerald McCoy was a huge reason why the Oklahoma offensive line looked awful and he even intercepted a Tim Tebow pass. Suh was the main reason why that Nebraska defense held Clemson's highly esteemed running game to a combined 5 yards (CJ Spiller with 5 and James Davis with 0). The reason I group these two together is because right now these guys are #1 and #2 and if you put one above the other there is really no arguing that point because they are neck and neck.

http://photos.al.com/photos/alphotos/fc347962efe5121c256d95b8dd986aab.jpg
Then there is Terrence Cody who is just a monstrous NT. At 6'5" and 360+ pounds he is the biggest DT to come out in a while. He has potential to be a top 10 pick but he has to prove he can keep his weight off, he isn't lazy and he is mature. He is a guy who doesn't get in any trouble off the field and by all accounts is a gentle giant but on the field he is just a monster. At 6'5" and 360 pounds he is obviously a big time run stuffer but what you don't realize is that Cody has the athleticism to dunk a basketball and move with the quickness of a DT that is 6'3" and 300 pounds. Cody is a freak and he even plays the goaline RB and FB from time to time.

After that there is another freak talent in Marvin Austin. This guy is a former top recruit who hasn't lived up to his hype but the ability is there. Austin is an extremely quick UT with 4.8-4.9 speed and he is listed at about 300 pounds but I would guess he is bigger than that . He just screams Al Davis pick (no offense to you Raiders fans). If Austin can put up some good numbers than he might be picked above all three of the previously mentioned tackles.

After that there is EVEN MORE depth in players like Lawrence Marsh (Florida), Arthur Jones (Syracuse), Vince Oghobaase (Duke) and Jared Odrick (Penn St.).

Then there are players who are first round talents but might have other issues.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bRm7y65s6f1m/340x.jpg
Geno Atkins is strictly a UT and during his sophomore season he racked up 7.5 sacks and 15 tackles for a loss. When Jeff Owens left for the season he struggled but his athletic ability and sophomore season leaves some with hope that he can regain his status as a top DT and make himself into a 1st round pick.

http://lotttrophy.com/images/member_photos/actionshots/jeff_owens_action.jpg
There is the aforementioned Jeff Owens who was looking like a first round lock before tearing his ACL in the season opener. He is a freak. The athleticism of a UT and the strength of a NT. He is rumored to have a 4.9 40 yard dash and he has put up 525 pounds in the bench press before. Some might compare him to Philadelphia Eagles NT Broderick Bunkley who has similar attributes at 6'3" and 304 pounds with 5.04 speed and 44 bench press reps of 225 pounds.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cfv5HsdcBc0m/340x.jpg
There is Gerald McCoys sidekick in DeMarcus Granger who for a while was the better prospect. Granger looks like a 4-3 NT or UT. At 6'3" and 300 pounds he looks like a UT but he has put on weight in the past. As a freshman he weighed 350 pounds. He was arrested for shoplifting and he was injured for nearly all of last season so you might have to look at his sophomore year to see how good he is. During his sophomore year he had 3.5 sacks and 8.5 tackles for a loss. He was a top recruit out of high school:

Rated the No. 11 player in the country (ESPN.com), No. 1 DT in the country (ESPN.com), No. 6 overall (CollegeFootballNews.com), No. 2 DT overall (CollegeFootballNews.com), No. 11 player in the country (Rivals.com), No. 3 player in Texas (Rivals.com), No. 9 player in the country (Scout.com) and No. 5 player in Texas (Scout.com)

http://media.gatewaync.com/wsj/photos/2008/11/13/wffb.jpg
Then there is Boo Robinson who might just go in round 1 next April. Robinson is not quite as athletic as BJ Raji but he is the closest thing in this draft. Boo Robinson looks like a NT at 6'3" and nearly 330 pounds but like BJ Raji he can penetrate the line, making 5 sacks last season and racking up 6 TFL. He is closer to Raji than he is to being Ron Brace.

AND THEN!! There is Al Woods who has loads of potential and looks like a NFL DT right now at 6'5" and nearly 320 pounds. He comes from a program with a great pedigree and he has all the tools. If he can perform now that he is not sharing time with anybody else he will be a first round pick.

Dan Williams out of Tennessee is nothing to scoff at either. Williams looks like a 4-3 NT at 6'3" and 310 pounds. Williams is a guy who is battle tested in the SEC and he goes against NFL caliber blocker week in and week out. Williams has long arms and he has a low center of gravity. Williams' strength is stopping the run. With a bench press currently at 500 pounds and a 40 time of 5.21, he can be an effective run-stopper at the next level as well. For a guy who's strength is stuffing the run he isn't half bad at rushing the passer collecting 8.5 tackles for a loss and 1.5 sacks last season. Also he will be working with one of the best coaches ever in Monte Kiffin so he will be ready for the NFL.

The amount of talent is incredible. I didn't even account for Mike Williams (Pittsburgh), Alan-Michael Cash (NC State), Charles Alexander (LSU), Averell Spicer (USC) and Ekom Udofia of Stanford.

Safe to say that if you need a DT, you can get one in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Mr. Hero
05-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Terrance Cody is going to be drafted two rounds after Vince Oghobaase. The titty-bum will not work in the NFL like it does the SEC.

CC.SD
05-12-2009, 08:51 PM
I agree this DT class makes me horny. However, come on Hero, Cody as of right now is not a finished project, there's a lot of talent underneath that flab. He could work out very nicely as a space eater.

marshallb
05-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Looks great for the Vikings, who will definitely need to get a DT to replace Pat Williams. A first rounder whoI like that'll likely be available when we pick is Oghobaase. As for a 2nd rounder I'd say Granger would be a good fit. In the 3rd round, guys I'd be looking at would be Woods and Robinson, both of those guys would also be terrific fits at NT in the 4-3.

Mr. Hero
05-12-2009, 08:56 PM
I agree this DT class makes me horny. However, come on Hero, Cody as of right now is not a finished project, there's a lot of talent underneath that flab. He could work out very nicely as a space eater.

If he ever learns how to play on the line. Sure there's a lot of potential, because if there wasn't he wouldn't be in the SEC. I know he's huge and can do a 360 dunk, but he has trouble staying low, has trouble with his weight, has trouble with his stamina, has trouble with his hands, etc. Straight up the guy is all potential and outside of the raiders no one in the NFL drafts on pure potential. That said Vince O has just as high of potential if not higher, Big Vince could end up Albert Haynesworth like if he just keeps progressing, with his size, strength, quickness and strong hands he can just dominate almost any blocker he comes up against. You won't over-power him, you won't out quick him and out smarting him is a tough one, kid got into duke for a reason, he's a bright kid.

princefielder28
05-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Boo Robinson!!!! <3

I agree with the Raji comparison on him too.

I don't see a mention of Vince Oghobaase or Arthur Jones though.

Thumper
05-12-2009, 09:03 PM
If he ever learns how to play on the line. Sure there's a lot of potential, because if there wasn't he wouldn't be in the SEC. I know he's huge and can do a 360 dunk, but he has trouble staying low, has trouble with his weight, has trouble with his stamina, has trouble with his hands, etc. Straight up the guy is all potential and outside of the raiders no one in the NFL drafts on pure potential. That said Vince O has just as high of potential if not higher, Big Vince could end up Albert Haynesworth like if he just keeps progressing, with his size, strength, quickness and strong hands he can just dominate almost any blocker he comes up against. You won't over-power him, you won't out quick him and out smarting him is a tough one, kid got into duke for a reason, he's a bright kid.

Just a question and no disrespect intended but have you ever watched Vince? Because alot of people go ranting and raving about him after looking at his workout numbers but honestly how many people watch Duke games?

I haven't seen enough to comment on him (which is why I only mentioned him) but I have heard different things about him.

CC.SD
05-12-2009, 09:14 PM
If he ever learns how to play on the line. Sure there's a lot of potential, because if there wasn't he wouldn't be in the SEC. I know he's huge and can do a 360 dunk, but he has trouble staying low, has trouble with his weight, has trouble with his stamina, has trouble with his hands, etc. Straight up the guy is all potential and outside of the raiders no one in the NFL drafts on pure potential.

Hm none of these points are anything I can really disagree with but DTs develop over time, and the raw size and athletcism Cody offers would make me think very hard about passing on him. He won't be the best DT prospect in this class, maybe not even the 3rd or 4th best, but as a gigantic 2 down run stopper I believe he'll be able to find success.

SenorGato
05-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Yea...I hope one of Suh, Odrick, McCoy, Oghobaase, Jones (though I don't think he's as good as the others right now), or man...Allen Bailey...is playing 3-4 DE for the Jets nexty year.

BTW: I see on Georgia's roster that Kade Weston has some sick size...what's up with him?

SuperKevin
05-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Don't sleep on UCLA Jr DT Brian Price. The guy has played at an All-conference level while going up against guys like Alex Mack, Ryan Kalil, Max Unger and more.

etk
05-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Allen Bailey has the physical ability of a top-5 pick. Look out. He fits better as a 3-4 end though.

Mr. Hero
05-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Just a question and no disrespect intended but have you ever watched Vince? Because alot of people go ranting and raving about him after looking at his workout numbers but honestly how many people watch Duke games?

I haven't seen enough to comment on him (which is why I only mentioned him) but I have heard different things about him.

I'll certainly admit to not seeing as much of him as I would like to have but I caught three of his games last season, might of been four but three seem like a safe guess, because I thought he was going to come out and wanted to see if he could complete the giants DL on the inside, granted that was all rendered moot after the signing of Canty and Vince's decision to go back to school. My opinion is certainly open to change, but from the games I've seen Vince is a smart, hard working kid with all world potential and developing technique,he doesn't have all the nuance down of his position.

Hm none of these points are anything I can really disagree with but DTs develop over time, and the raw size and athletcism Cody offers would make me think very hard about passing on him. He won't be the best DT prospect in this class, maybe not even the 3rd or 4th best, but as a gigantic 2 down run stopper I believe he'll be able to find success.

Sure Cody could develop and all but I just don't see what makes him any better than Ron Brace, in fact Brace to me was a better prospect than Cody is right now because while he wasn't the freak Cody is he was able to stay low and knew how to use his hands to control blockers.

OneToughGame
05-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Boo Robinson should so be a Seahawk.. Curry wants his Boo ;)

Lol.

bigbenn
05-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Look for junior DT Josh Brent at Illinois to add his name to potential 1st round DT's. He is a beast. He is the closest thing to Raji in this upcoming draft IMO. He might be a better athlete though. He constantly makes plays down the LOS even with backs going full speed. I don't know about his speed (Doesn't matter for a DT anyway) but his agility is that of a much smaller player. He's 6'2 and 320+ pounds, he can lift a weightroom, and has been a big time contributor on the Illinois DL when he has played.

It remains to be seen if he comes back or not after this season...it might be a smart idea to do so because he doesn't get the hype the other DT's have gotten. He has also gotten into some trouble last season and this past offseason he drove under a suspended license (And drove a little under the influence) and might miss a game or so. If he does wind up coming back watch out for the tandem at Illinois in 2011. A senior Brent with a junior Corey Liuget would be dangerous and unfair. Corey Liuget will be eligible for the 2011 class (He'll be a true junior) and he's a special DT with an enormous upside (More than Brent and that is saying a lot). Talk is he'll be a sure fire first rounder already. He's that good.

Solomon
05-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Looks like a great draft for DTs right now but it's gonna have a hard time beating the class of 2001.

1st Round:
Gerard Warren (4)
Richard Seymour (6)
Damione Lewis (12)
Marcus Stroud (13)
Casey Hampton (19)
Ryan Pickett (29)

2nd Round:
Kris Jenkins (44)
Shaun Rogers (61)

Not only were they all really good prospects (with Rogers dropping out of the first mostly due to injury concerns) but they've panned out as a group in the NFL as well. 5 of the 8 have been multiple pro bowlers and every one of them is still a starter in the league eight years later.

YAYareaRB
05-13-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm playing either Center or Guard (If I don't switch to D-Line) against Gerald McCoy and DeMarcus Granger next year. FAAAAAAAN-*******-TASTIC!

Brent
05-13-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm playing either Center or Guard (If I don't switch to D-Line) against Gerald McCoy and DeMarcus Granger next year. FAAAAAAAN-*******-TASTIC!
And I'll try my best to see if I can watch one of your games, so I can say that I saw one of my fellow Niners fans play college ball. By the way, you have no chance :(.

YAYareaRB
05-13-2009, 12:13 AM
And I'll try my best to see if I can watch one of your games, so I can say that I saw one of my fellow Niners fans play college ball. By the way, you have no chance :(.

I keep thinking Appalachian St. But then again it WAS Appalachian St. and it WAS Michigan. No offense Sniper.

bigbenn
05-13-2009, 12:16 AM

I didn't know there were players who posted on here. Who are you? Also, I wouldn't look at it like that. Just look at it as a chance to show some worth to NFL scouts.;)

YAYareaRB
05-13-2009, 12:23 AM
I didn't know there were players who posted on here. Who are you? Also, I wouldn't look at it like that. Just look at it as a chance to show some worth to NFL scouts.;)

I signed my LOI to Idaho State(FCS) in February. Small School but our OOC schedule includes away games at Oklahoma and Arizona State.

Brent
05-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Remember YAY, go for their knees!

YAYareaRB
05-13-2009, 12:30 AM
Remember YAY, go for their knees!

ALL DAMN DAY!

CC.SD
05-13-2009, 12:37 AM
ALL DAMN DAY!

SWDCer taking down a prospect=EPIC thread!

Timbathia
05-13-2009, 12:49 AM
Perhaps this d-line class is the reason why McDaniels didnt care which of the Broncos first round picks he traded away this year. Looks like we can get d-line help in next years first round no matter what da bears do this season.

Then again, maybe he will take a WR in the first next year just for kicks.

Thumper
05-13-2009, 12:54 AM
Allen Bailey has the physical ability of a top-5 pick. Look out. He fits better as a 3-4 end though.

Yeah but isn't he really raw? He played LB freshman year, DE sophomore year and now DT Junior year? He is extremely strong and athletic from what I understand but again his technique is in need of help. He did kill an alligator with a shovel once so that helps him out :D.

Thumper
05-13-2009, 12:56 AM
Don't sleep on UCLA Jr DT Brian Price. The guy has played at an All-conference level while going up against guys like Alex Mack, Ryan Kalil, Max Unger and more.

He really struggled against the run from what I saw. Good pass rusher but not a good run stopper. Plus he is a junior and I don't think he enters with all of these guys ahead of him.

CC.SD
05-13-2009, 01:17 AM
Looks like a great draft for DTs right now but it's gonna have a hard time beating the class of 2001.

1st Round:
Gerard Warren (4)
Richard Seymour (6)
Damione Lewis (12)
Marcus Stroud (13)
Casey Hampton (19)
Ryan Pickett (29)

2nd Round:
Kris Jenkins (44)
Shaun Rogers (61)

Not only were they all really good prospects (with Rogers dropping out of the first mostly due to injury concerns) but they've panned out as a group in the NFL as well. 5 of the 8 have been multiple pro bowlers and every one of them is still a starter in the league eight years later.

Great class of DTs but I think this one could beat it out. Suh and McCoy are just so, so terrific. Then you have a couple guys with basically limitless ceilings in Cody and Marvin Austin, and scary depth even after that with guys like Granger, Vince, etc. etc. the list really does keep going, this is a ton of talent at one position this year.

RealityCheck
05-13-2009, 06:18 AM
Marvin Austin and Vince Oghobaase anyone?

Abaddon
05-13-2009, 07:35 AM
And to think, with an almost guaranteed top 10 pick, Oakland could have paired one of these guys with Raji, or even Brace.

Damn you, Al Davis. Damn you to hell.

bigbenn
05-13-2009, 07:56 AM
I signed my LOI to Idaho State(FCS) in February. Small School but our OOC schedule includes away games at Oklahoma and Arizona State.

Good luck man if I get the games on TV I'll surely watch you play as I'm a college football fanatic. Hopefully one day I'll be on the D1 level with you.

bigbenn
05-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Great class of DTs but I think this one could beat it out. Suh and McCoy are just so, so terrific. Then you have a couple guys with basically limitless ceilings in Cody and Marvin Austin, and scary depth even after that with guys like Granger, Vince, etc. etc. the list really does keep going, this is a ton of talent at one position this year.

I would toss Josh Brent in the limitless ceiling as well...but I can't keep hyping him up when you guys actually see him, you will be awed.

Sniper
05-13-2009, 09:30 AM
I keep thinking Appalachian St. But then again it WAS Appalachian St. and it WAS Michigan. No offense Sniper.

I hate you. The thing you have to remember though is that Oklahoma won't be starting Johnny Sears, Morgan Trent AND Stevie Brown in the same secondary.

thenewfeature06
05-13-2009, 09:49 AM
And to think, with an almost guaranteed top 10 pick, Oakland could have paired one of these guys with Raji, or even Brace.

Damn you, Al Davis. Damn you to hell.

I compltely agree, but now im just hoping we actually select 1 in next years draft..but Al Davis would have to die in order for that to happen

Suh is probably my favorite for these guys, he reminds me of Haloti Ngata in his athleticism but Ngata was a little bigger coming out of college

Crimson79
05-13-2009, 02:16 PM
FWIW I read on another board that Gerald McCoy benched 315 22 times during end of spring testing.

RealityCheck
05-13-2009, 07:23 PM

Good luck. You'll need it. :D

etk
05-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Yeah but isn't he really raw? He played LB freshman year, DE sophomore year and now DT Junior year? He is extremely strong and athletic from what I understand but again his technique is in need of help. He did kill an alligator with a shovel once so that helps him out :D.

Sure he's raw, but when I see the word "potential" as in "potentially 4 top-10 DTs"....I think Allen Bailey could potentially be one of those guys. He's too gifted athletically not to wreak havoc on the interior.

If Tyson Jackson can go top 3...imagine what Bailey can do with a decent season and ridiculous Combine.

bored of education
05-15-2009, 08:38 AM
I am a huge fan of Boo Robinson. I think he could be a an NT in both 30 and 40 fronts. This DT class has depth and versatility.

regoob2
05-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Is Jeff Owens still a draftable prospect after the ACL? Anyone know how bad it is?

AntoinCD
05-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I absolutely love this DT class. It should go down as one of the strongest classes of any position in the last 10 years.

McCoy, Suh, Cody, Austin, Vince O, Boo, Granger, Jones, Atkins etc. All of these if not more are very capable of going in the top 2 rounds with at least two(McCoy, Suh) who could and should go top 10-I reserve judgement on Mount Cody until he can prove to keep his weight in check and improve stamina.

Just for fun why not compare this with last years DT class

BJ Raji
Peria Jerry
Ziggy Hood
Ron Brace
Fili Moala
Sen'Derrick Marks

BJ Raji was a top 10 pick this year and may have very easily been the fourth DT taken out of this crop. I think it was Mayock who also said, any other year players like Marks would be fourth rounders. So where would that put them in this year's? 5th, 6th??

CC.SD
05-19-2009, 11:51 PM
I absolutely love this DT class. It should go down as one of the strongest classes of any position in the last 10 years.

McCoy, Suh, Cody, Austin, Vince O, Boo, Granger, Jones, Atkins etc. All of these if not more are very capable of going in the top 2 rounds with at least two(McCoy, Suh) who could and should go top 10-I reserve judgement on Mount Cody until he can prove to keep his weight in check and improve stamina.

Just for fun why not compare this with last years DT class

BJ Raji
Peria Jerry
Ziggy Hood
Ron Brace
Fili Moala
Sen'Derrick Marks

BJ Raji was a top 10 pick this year and may have very easily been the fourth DT taken out of this crop. I think it was Mayock who also said, any other year players like Marks would be fourth rounders. So where would that put them in this year's? 5th, 6th??

Interesting point, there are at least 5 DTs who would go before Raji in this upcoming class. And even if you like Raji, the 10' class will be miles ahead of Jerry and the rest. This is a really monstrous set of prospects.

TitanHope
05-20-2009, 08:35 PM
The '09 Draft had some very good DT's. I like Raji more at 3-4 NT than I do Mt. Cody, to be honest. If Cody continues to lose weight though, he'll change my mind. I like Boo Robinson more than Brace though.

From the 4-3 standpoint, it's 2010 without a doubt. I'm a big fan of Peria Jerry though, and Marks came out too soon after playing for most of his junior year with ankle injuries. But, Jerry would probably rank 4th behind McCoy, Suh, and Austin.

superman8456
05-20-2009, 08:39 PM
imo needs that DT from Miami

RealityCheck
05-21-2009, 06:38 PM
imo needs that DT from Miami

Forston? I don't think he'll declare.

Sniper
05-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Forston? I don't think he'll declare.

I think he meant Allen Bailey. Forston is a sophomore.

TACKLE
05-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Bailey would be a beast as a 5-technique. That is definitely his best position. I'd also love to see him go to a team that loves to use D-Lineman all over the place (Giants and now Rams) to best utilitze his ability. Hopefully he won't be in this draft class and will stay at The U for his senior year.

weezer1195
05-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Boo Robinson was poised for a huge year but a back injury kept him out of spring and hopefully he can make a full recovery and be ready in the fall. He has actually slimmed down and is probably in the 315-320 range but has a great build with really thick legs and rear. He doesnt have ideal height so come combine weigh in and height time I wouldnt be surprised if he is only 6 foot 1ish.

Did I mention he is very quick and athletic..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbkS-smuNEI&feature=related

etk
05-22-2009, 06:03 PM
I disagree with all these posts about Raji and Jerry not stacking up to the '10 DTs. Raji is a freak of an athlete and Jerry is a dynamite pass rusher who dominated the Senior Bowl. Both are top 20 talents in any draft imo, although Raji has character/weight issues and Jerry is old.

Ziggy Hood benefited from being the 3rd best DT in a weak class imo, but that doesn't take away from the talent of the first 2.

Mr. Hero
05-22-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm just making to sure that my "hatin" on Mount Tuby is official.

bruschis4all
05-23-2009, 09:14 AM
I'd like to throw another name in the fire. Jared Odrick -PSU. 6'5" 305. He came out of nowhere last year. Like Maybin. However, he came back for his senior year. Didn't come out of the gate like A.Maybin. By the end of the year, he was PSU's best all-around(stuff run and rush qb) dl. He has a basketball background and is very athletic. May project as a de in a 3-4 with all of these teams switching to 3-4 defense.

marks01234
05-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Marvin Austin and Vince Oghobaase anyone?

As of the end of last season, Marvin was a ways off from being NFL-ready. He's a good athlete but disappears in the run game. I've seen several ACC lineman overpower him. He has a quick first step and definately has the athleticism to make it in the NFL but he needs to spend a lot of time on the practice field and in the weight room. Carolina's DL coach is regarded as one of the best so it will be interesting to watch Austin's impact next year.

Oghobaase is a hoss but I'm not sure he has the athleticism to be a first day selection.

garrard9
05-23-2009, 10:36 AM
I would like to throw in Arthur Jones from Syracuse. They have been horrible but he has been great. 6'4 295lbs. 31 career tackles for loss

And one of the best single game performances for a down lineman last season.
@ ND (15 tackles, 4 for loss, 1.5 sacks)

SuperKevin
05-23-2009, 11:03 AM
I would like to throw in Arthur Jones from Syracuse. They have been horrible but he has been great. 6'4 295lbs. 31 career tackles for loss

And one of the best single game performances for a down lineman last season.
@ ND (15 tackles, 4 for loss, 1.5 sacks)

He reminds me a lot of Luis Castillo. I think he could be a great 3-4 DE

garrard9
05-23-2009, 04:32 PM

I think he would be just as good as 4-3 DT. That versatility would make him a nice pickup.

JFLO
05-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Arthur Jones is going to be a very hot commodity come draft day. His versatility alone will make him a late 1st to late 2nd.

AntoinCD
05-24-2009, 04:16 PM

Yeah I agree I think he could grade out as the top 5 technique next year

bergo23
05-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Even though we got Cool Runnings (Vaughn Martin)...we will need another 300 pounder next year. With this much depth, we should still be able to get one at 32 after our first Lombardi. Tyson Jackson and Raji would be below: several of the guys mentioned.

That class with seymour and casey hampton is amazing though!!! Sure glad the browns picked Warren though, otherwise LT would have been going into Canton a Brown.

SuperKevin
05-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Even though we got Cool Runnings (Vaughn Martin)...we will need another 300 pounder next year. With this much depth, we should still be able to get one at 32 after our first Lombardi. Tyson Jackson and Raji would be below: several of the guys mentioned.

That class with seymour and casey hampton is amazing though!!! Sure glad the browns picked Warren though, otherwise LT would have been going into Canton a Brown.

Jared Odrick or Arthur Jones would be your best choices to replace Igor Olshansky

Mr. Hero
05-24-2009, 10:30 PM
As of the end of last season, Marvin was a ways off from being NFL-ready. He's a good athlete but disappears in the run game. I've seen several ACC lineman overpower him. He has a quick first step and definately has the athleticism to make it in the NFL but he needs to spend a lot of time on the practice field and in the weight room. Carolina's DL coach is regarded as one of the best so it will be interesting to watch Austin's impact next year.

Oghobaase is a hoss but I'm not sure he has the athleticism to be a first day selection.

:confused: For his size and length Big O is a remarkable athlete.

LizardState
05-25-2009, 08:12 AM

Agreed that he is a classic 2-gap NT. He has the quickness as noted & no one has really pushed his strength to the envelope yet, just ask Jonathan Luigs at Arkansas, the center he pummeled last yr. all game long. He has awesome upper & lower body strength, note the Crimson Tide homer call here & Mr. Hatin' Hero s/b reminded he was graded as playing "perfect technique" vs. Clemson where they stopped Clemson's preseason vaunted running attack to zero rushing yds.

Nick Saban found him at Gulf Coast JC thru a former Michigan St. asst, Saban is working his network he brought to his $24M party at Bama, but put the provision on his scholarship that he has to keep his playing weight down, ideally in the 340s but he can & has played at up to the 360s. As long as he does so he will be 1st rd. material in the next draft, the 3-4 NFL teams have been drooling over Cody for over a yr. now b/c rarely does a pure 3-4 NT like him come along who fits the textbook definition of what that unique player s/b in that defense. A NT like him who can overpower 80% of the centers in the NFL one on one & requires OG help obviously presents a lot of problems for o-line coaches & OCs.

Cody was told when he was in the 9th grade by a coach that one day he would be a "$2M a yr. FB player," if he stays healthy, keeps that weight controlled & maintains his strength & doesn't say or do anything stupid at the Combine I think that prediction will come true in 2010.

TACKLE
05-30-2009, 11:11 PM
A name to watch out for this year is Brian Price from UCLA.

He's a 6'2 300lb soph who had a really nice year with 14.5 TFL's and 4.5 sacks. Price is a thick guy who's best fit is probably as a NT in a 4-3. He's a big bodied space eater but has also shown the ability to penetrate and make plays in the backfields.

SuperKevin
05-30-2009, 11:19 PM
A name to watch out for this year is Brian Price from UCLA.

He's a 6'2 300lb soph who had a really nice year with 14.5 TFL's and 4.5 sacks. Price is a thick guy who's best fit is probably as a NT in a 4-3. He's a big bodied space eater but has also shown the ability to penetrate and make plays in the backfields.

He's my favorite DT in the draft. Like I said in the Cornerbacks thread, I really like this UCLA defense this year

Mr. Hero
05-31-2009, 12:29 AM
Agreed that he is a classic 2-gap NT. He has the quickness as noted & no one has really pushed his strength to the envelope yet, just ask Jonathan Luigs at Arkansas, the center he pummeled last yr. all game long. He has awesome upper & lower body strength, note the Crimson Tide homer call here & Mr. Hatin' Hero s/b reminded he was graded as playing "perfect technique" vs. Clemson where they stopped Clemson's preseason vaunted running attack to zero rushing yds.

Nick Saban found him at Gulf Coast JC thru a former Michigan St. asst, Saban is working his network he brought to his $24M party at Bama, but put the provision on his scholarship that he has to keep his playing weight down, ideally in the 340s but he can & has played at up to the 360s. As long as he does so he will be 1st rd. material in the next draft, the 3-4 NFL teams have been drooling over Cody for over a yr. now b/c rarely does a pure 3-4 NT like him come along who fits the textbook definition of what that unique player s/b in that defense. A NT like him who can overpower 80% of the centers in the NFL one on one & requires OG help obviously presents a lot of problems for o-line coaches & OCs.

Cody was told when he was in the 9th grade by a coach that one day he would be a "$2M a yr. FB player," if he stays healthy, keeps that weight controlled & maintains his strength & doesn't say or do anything stupid at the Combine I think that prediction will come true in 2010.

I usually don't hate on many players, but I make an exception for Mount Titty, wtf does he was graded as playing "perfect technique" even mean? Dude still doesn't know what to do with his hands and his leverage comes and goes as once he gets winded he gets stood up even by far smaller/weaker centers. He's a freak athletically, there's no denying that, and he's done a good job of beasting on SEC teams, but I just don't see what makes him a better player than Ron Brace, he's more athletic and fatter, but he's so much more clueless as well. *shrug* I don't pretend to be infallible so I could very well end up being wrong on him but unless he takes a big step this year count me as one of the people who are unimpressed by him.

bamatitan81
05-31-2009, 01:48 AM
i am also an alabama fan but i don't think cody is that big of a deal either. don't get me wrong, in short yardage situations i would love to him in there. But i am a much bigger fan of josh chapman because he is a 3 down dt.

JHG722
05-31-2009, 01:54 AM
Watch out for Andre Neblett from Temple. We'll continue sending DTs to the NFL, and many think Neblett is better than Terrance Knighton, who was drafted by the Jags at the top of the 3rd.

katnip
06-07-2009, 05:43 PM
I'd like to see a 'Cane on the Jets roster. Like Allen Bailey the freak.

TACKLE
08-28-2009, 02:00 AM
I'm starting to really like D'Anthony Smith form Louisian Tech. He's a prospect who's gained momentum heading into the season. I hadn't seen him play but I was impressed by what I saw in this video. He's a 6'2 300 DT but they play him at DE a bit which says a lot about his athleticism. When you what him, you can't see the power and explosion. He has a lot of potential to be a very good 3-tech.

0wD6Au_C60U

Hines
08-28-2009, 02:03 AM
Odrick, Jones, JO, and/or Marsh can come play DE for the Steelers. I want Boo Williams to be our future NT.

Mr. Stiller
08-28-2009, 10:05 AM
I like Cody's potential.

But before the season is over... I have a feeling Cam Thomas will be the best NT in this draft.. 4-3 or 3-4.

tjsunstein
08-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Watch out for Andre Neblett from Temple. We'll continue sending DTs to the NFL, and many think Neblett is better than Terrance Knighton, who was drafted by the Jags at the top of the 3rd.

It's all those cheesesteaks.

Thumper
08-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I like Cody's potential.

But before the season is over... I have a feeling Cam Thomas will be the best NT in this draft.. 4-3 or 3-4.

He is going to be Ron Brace like. Yes, he will be a perfect 3-4 NT but I don't think he has the mobility to play in a 4-3. He is very stout, has a great build and takes on double teams. He is a very good NT, but is third in this class after Mount Cody and Boo Robinson.

Also anyone else find it odd that Marvin Austin, the most publicized and touted DT is likely the worst of the three tackles? Cam Thomas and Aleric Mullins are better.

56crash
09-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Thank you this is one well thought out piece do you mind if I show some Forums in Bronco County this work ?

LizardState
09-02-2009, 02:38 PM
If he ever learns how to play on the line. Sure there's a lot of potential, because if there wasn't he wouldn't be in the SEC. I know he's huge and can do a 360 dunk, but he has trouble staying low, has trouble with his weight, has trouble with his stamina, has trouble with his hands, etc.

I've watched him closely, here's my take: In addition to being textbook immovable object 3-4 NT in the modern 3-4 defense, Cody actually has technique. A raw, minimally experienced kid at ~340 coming out of Mississippi Coast JC, in his 1st game vs. Clemson about exactly a yr ago he was indeed said to play perfect technique. By that they meant NG/NT technique, as well as the "zero technique" straight up on the center nose. That wasn't too bad for starters, & Bama held Clemson, with 2 highly touted RBs, to ZERO YDS RUSHING! He beat up preseason All American C Luigs at Arkansas where he bullyragged him all afternoon, & as his rep grew most teams were throwing at least 2 OLineman at him every play, still he was effective.

you have to admit he was awesome in SEC play last season, brutalized all opponents except when missed time (strained ligaments after a rollup block behind his knees vs Ole Miss) or vs Florida & Utah, games Alabama lost btw, indicates his performance was a major factor in the W or L. I thought those teams more or less buried him most of the games, & stopped any movement. makes sense, it's the best way to handle a human mtn. NG like him with extraordinary athleticism as noted & freaky upper body strength, that is if the rest of your team is talented enough to compensate for the nos. required, as the Gators were last yr & then some.

As mentioned he does the space eater thing every down he plays, with the current trendiness of the 3-4, that alone got the attn. of every 3-4 team DC. Those guys are have become so incredibly specialized now that as good one is almost once in a decade, maybe every dozen drafts. Not saying he is one of those but with his upside he could be. I could see Cody going top 5-7 if he stays healthy & controls his weight (listed at 360 in the preseason mags), to a 3-4 NFL defense with an aging NG who's in dire need of stopping somebody or a coach on the hotseat with a 3-4 that's low ranked in defense ..... Cincy, Jaguars, Detroit, Browns, Houston, Raiders, Rams, teams like that. If a team works with him for at least a season with a good position coach to learn those many little things like staying lower & using his hands, he could maybe not be the next Ratliff or Kris Jenkins, but maybe be the next Jerry "Bowling" Ball.

Meanwhile back at the thread -- Also liking Odrick, & Arthur Jones. And Cam Thomas, who had a career game with 6 tackles vs Ga. Tech last yr. Gerald McCoy is a jr. & arguably the best DL on what Athlon mag calls the best d-line in the country at Oklahoma could declare.

OaklandRaider56
09-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Where will DeMarcus Granger likely be drafted?

I assume it's a complete toss up considering his injury, but I think if a team gets him anywhere after the 2nd round he'll be a huge steal.

Thumper
09-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Where will DeMarcus Granger likely be drafted?

I assume it's a complete toss up considering his injury, but I think if a team gets him anywhere after the 2nd round he'll be a huge steal.

HUGE amounts of talent. He is every bit as talented as McCoy, Suh and Cody IMO but character and injury issues will force a fall. He is a great athlete at 300+ pounds and he can rush the passer and stuff the run. I really like him and I really think like you said that anyone who gets him later than round 1 or 2 will be getting a steal if he stays healthy. Great talent.

marshallb
09-03-2009, 10:49 PM
HUGE amounts of talent. He is every bit as talented as McCoy, Suh and Cody IMO but character and injury issues will force a fall. He is a great athlete at 300+ pounds and he can rush the passer and stuff the run. I really like him and I really think like you said that anyone who gets him later than round 1 or 2 will be getting a steal if he stays healthy. Great talent.

I like Granger quite a bit, and would love to see the Vikings take him in the 2nd to replace Pat Williams, even though he's not a huge run stuffer like Pat.

etk
09-03-2009, 10:51 PM

McCoy and Cody are SPECIAL talents. Suh has special upper body strength and arm use, but the rest of him is meh.

Granger is not quite there.

TACKLE
09-04-2009, 12:27 AM
McCoy and Cody are SPECIAL talents.

I don't see Cody as a "Special Talent". I see him more as a poor man's Shaun Rogers. But that's just me.

etk
09-04-2009, 12:31 AM
I don't see Cody as a "Special Talent". I see him more as a poor man's Shaun Rogers. But that's just me.

You don't think he has special talent and athletic ability?

You don't have to like him as a prospect to identify this. I think Carlos Dunlap is a horrible football player but he's a pretty impressive athlete.

TACKLE
09-04-2009, 12:36 AM
You don't think he has special talent and athletic ability?

You don't have to like him as a prospect to identify this. I think Carlos Dunlap is a horrible football player but he's a pretty impressive athlete.

I just don't see it. Though I will definitely be watching him very close against VT.

etk
09-04-2009, 12:40 AM
I just don't see it. Though I will definitely be watching him very close against VT.

He's a pretty rare athlete for that size...same with Shaun Rogers. He's not JUST big.

Mr. Stiller
09-04-2009, 07:46 AM
He is going to be Ron Brace like. Yes, he will be a perfect 3-4 NT but I don't think he has the mobility to play in a 4-3. He is very stout, has a great build and takes on double teams. He is a very good NT, but is third in this class after Mount Cody and Boo Robinson.

Also anyone else find it odd that Marvin Austin, the most publicized and touted DT is likely the worst of the three tackles? Cam Thomas and Aleric Mullins are better.

Marvin will be a junior and just hasn't put it together yet.

Thomas IMO does have the mobility to play NT in either scheme.

I have a feeling Boo Thomas will keep his weight down and won't necessarily be a 3-4 NT prospect.

TACKLE
09-06-2009, 08:02 PM
He's a pretty rare athlete for that size...same with Shaun Rogers. He's not JUST big.

I watched him against VT and it just confirmed what I already thought. He's a two-down player who's never on the field on 3rd down. He barely played late in the game and that just continues to raise questions about his conditioning. Although he was getting double-teamed, he wasn't get consistent push at the line and I rarely saw him penetrate. I actually wanted to see him show flashes off this ability people talk about but I just didn't see it.

superman8456
09-06-2009, 08:19 PM
I watched him against VT and it just confirmed what I already thought. He's a two-down player who's never on the field on 3rd down. He barely played late in the game and that just continues to raise questions about his conditioning. Although he was getting double-teamed, he wasn't get consistent push at the line and I rarely saw him penetrate. I actually wanted to see him show flashes off this ability people talk about but I just didn't see it.

I've seen games where he has had a big impact, and last night was not one of those times. He was invisible most of the game. Va Tech ran right up the middle without much resistance.

Tomorrow night is going to be a big one for this thread. Allen Bailley is going to prove his talent against FSU.

Thumper
09-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Bailey v.s. the Florida St. OG Hudson I think his name is should be good. Similar size and they are both highly athletic and are legit Day 1 prospects.

bernbabybern820
09-06-2009, 08:26 PM
I've seen games where he has had a big impact, and last night was not one of those times. He was invisible most of the game. Va Tech ran right up the middle without much resistance.

Tomorrow night is going to be a big one for this thread. Allen Bailley is going to prove his talent against FSU.

To be fair to Cody VT never ran at him except on the goalline and 4 and inches situations. The problem was that he was probably put on the field for about a third of the game and has zero ability to get to the qb in time on passing situations.

etk
09-07-2009, 06:37 PM

I don't disagree with you, but linemen his size with his proportions who can actually move are rare. He's still a valuable contributor.

All the other DTs in this class are overrated except Odrick, Atkins and McCoy, so w/e.

Abaddon
09-08-2009, 05:14 AM
I smell a plummet. Happens every year with these giant, easily gassed DTs.

Cicero
09-08-2009, 06:18 AM

Cody is almost as overrated as Fili Moala was. He is in no way shape or form worth a first round pick.

PossibleCabbage
09-08-2009, 08:24 AM
As long as he does so he will be 1st rd. material in the next draft, the 3-4 NFL teams have been drooling over Cody for over a yr. now b/c rarely does a pure 3-4 NT like him come along who fits the textbook definition of what that unique player s/b in that defense. A NT like him who can overpower 80% of the centers in the NFL one on one & requires OG help obviously presents a lot of problems for o-line coaches & OCs.

I really have to disagree with this. IMO, Cody is much better suited to be a NT in a 4-3 than a NT in a 3-4.

Schematically, the difference is that a 4-3 NT lines up in the A-gap, while a 3-4 NT lines up in the 0-technique with his hat over the center. The difference, of course, is that with the 4-3 NT lining up in the A-gap, he's in a good position to stop the OG from getting past him. With good play, the guard should be unable to get past him and he shouldn't be moved. In the 3-4, the NT is not in good position to stop the guards from getting to the second level. Since it's the offense's prerogative of who to block with whom, the worst thing that could happen to a 3-4 defense is the guards elect just not to block the NT and they peel off and block LBs, which is a battle that offensive guards should pretty much always win.

So the schematic weakness in the 3-4 is that the nose tackle needs to be able to command a double-team not by positioning, but by play. That is to say, a quality 3-4 NT needs to be able to destroy the OC so thoroughly and so consistently that he will usually make the play in the backfield if he is blocked by only the center.

This is why "really big really slow guys" rarely, if ever, cut it in the NFL as 3-4 NTs (though they become serviceable 4-3 NTs). If a guy isn't quick enough to make the play in the backfield if he's not effectively blocked, why even bother blocking him? Just let your center struggle with him, and complete passes and run in the B-gaps. A 3-4 NT needs to be more than a brick wall (a 4-3 NT really doesn't).

This is why there's such a premium on 3-4 NTs. Since bad ones allow the offensive to set up favorable blocking on virtually every play, and guys who are big and strong enough to consistently dominate the center and are also quick enough to make the play in the backfield if they have the opportunity are exceptionally rare. You get maybe three or four guys with that potential in every draft.

Personally, I see a lot more Alan Branch in Cody than I do Vince Wilfork. He'll be a serviceable A-gap player in a 4-3, but he's really not quick enough to play NT in the 3-4.

Jakey
09-08-2009, 11:18 PM
"This is why "really big really slow guys" rarely, if ever, cut it in the NFL as 3-4 NTs"

Casey Hapton says hi! ;)

Javzz
09-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Keep an eye out for Drake Nevis.

Geo
09-19-2009, 01:24 PM
I haven't seen North Carolina DT Marvin Austin before this year, but have heard the good things about him and how he's supposedly an explosive one-gap tackle. So I was looking forward to seeing some of his play last week (@ Connecticut) and today (vs. East Carolina).

Well, I have to say, I don't it see it myself. I don't see it at all.

Sniper
09-19-2009, 01:26 PM
I haven't seen North Carolina DT Marvin Austin before this year, but have heard the good things about him and how he's supposedly an explosive one-gap tackle. So I was looking forward to seeing some of his play last week (@ Connecticut) and today (vs. East Carolina).

Well, I have to say, I don't it see it myself. I don't see it at all.

He was a 5* out of HS, so naturally he's been vastly overrated.

SuperKevin
09-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Marvin Austin reminds me a lot of John McCargo. Very athletic with a lot of hype but it'll be interseting to see if he can get it done at the next level

Geo
09-19-2009, 01:42 PM
I think we've seen some explosiveness from McCargo.

Austin, if anything right now, I would think a good two-gap prospect because he seems to hold his ground pretty well and every so often make a play for the ballcarrier if he comes within arm's reach past the LOS. But all the talk I've heard about him is "explosive one-gap" tackle, which is a real head-scratcher right now.

I guess he might be as explosive as Tyson Jackson, but I thought Jackson was very lacking in explosion too.

SenorGato
09-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Colby Whitlock is my favorite undersized NT prospect. Watch him tonight. Always eats up multiple blockers despite not being 6'3 350.

etk
09-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Colby Whitlock is my favorite undersized NT prospect. Watch him tonight. Always eats up multiple blockers despite not being 6'3 350.

Gets good penetration too.

BigBanger
09-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Marvin Austin reminds me a lot of John McCargo. Very athletic with a lot of hype but it'll be interseting to see if he can get it done at the next level
He's not athletic. How many years does he have to play before people watch him and see that he's actually quite slow, and anything but athletic or explosive or any of these great attributes. I'd like to see him get something done at the college level before I worry about the next level. The commentators were saying he's starting to live up to the hype, I guess he had a tackle for loss against UCONN, which impressed them. idk.

If you guys haven't heard about Brian Price, you should check him out. He's probably the third best draft eligible DT in college football. UCLA... ******* MONSTER!!! Very raw, but he's dominate. That is an athlete. He's well over 300 pounds and he'll get in the backfield more times in one half than Austin has in his entire career.

SuperKevin
09-20-2009, 08:03 PM
He's not athletic. How many years does he have to play before people watch him and see that he's actually quite slow, and anything but athletic or explosive or any of these great attributes. I'd like to see him get something done at the college level before I worry about the next level. The commentators were saying he's starting to live up to the hype, I guess he had a tackle for loss against UCONN, which impressed them. idk.

If you guys haven't heard about Brian Price, you should check him out. He's probably the third best draft eligible DT in college football. UCLA... ******* MONSTER!!! Very raw, but he's dominate. That is an athlete. He's well over 300 pounds and he'll get in the backfield more times in one half than Austin has in his entire career.

I'm a big Brian Price fan. He dominated the same Tennessee offensive line that was able to block Florida

imraged
09-28-2009, 04:53 PM
http://www.bamasportsreport.com/images/fbfiles/images/Mt_Cody_jumps_over_R.jpg

:eek:

SuperKevin
09-28-2009, 04:57 PM
http://www.bamasportsreport.com/images/fbfiles/images/Mt_Cody_jumps_over_R.jpg

:eek:

He's going for the Banzai Drop

katnip
09-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Is Allen Bailey comparable to former 'Nole Brodrick Bunkley?

I'm just thinking 2 super strong dudes

Any1 else think Terrence Cody = Gilbert Brown?? Maybe?? Brown used to weigh like 400+ big campbell's soup cans

SINCE1978
09-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Keep an eye out for Drake Nevis.

Did you mean in the 2011 draft? He's a junior, is he having that good of a season to come out early?
Reading about him, sounds like the kid has been dominate since like middle school!

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 01:12 PM
What do you think Terrence Cody's stock is at right now? Obviously a monster and an athlete besides, but conditioning issues seem like a huge issue. Especially at that size.

ToldLikeItIs
09-29-2009, 01:20 PM
This is our 295 lb DT Christian Ballard making some sort of taekwondo style block during Pat Angerer's interception return.

4:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib_nYU-laOc

Bengals78
09-29-2009, 01:40 PM
What do you think Terrence Cody's stock is at right now? Obviously a monster and an athlete besides, but conditioning issues seem like a huge issue. Especially at that size.

I think he is a mid-first guy. Despite his conditioning, I think a team in need of a big athletic NT will take him early. He could be a huge impact immediately as a NT on the right team.

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I think he is a mid-first guy. Despite his conditioning, I think a team in need of a big athletic NT will take him early. He could be a huge impact immediately as a NT on the right team.

That's the feel I've been getting too. It would be very nice if he were around for the Bolts, rotate him and a returning Jamal Williams for a year or so and we'd have a decent shot at stopping a run play once in a while. I'm worried his combine numbers will rocket him into the top 10 though.

Number 10
09-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Cody is a 2 down player that still needs to take a couple series' off. You don't take that kind of player in the top 10 and I would question making him my first round pick.

Personally, although this is all subject to change, he is likely in the top 40 on my board.

Babylon
09-29-2009, 05:19 PM
That's the feel I've been getting too. It would be very nice if he were around for the Bolts, rotate him and a returning Jamal Williams for a year or so and we'd have a decent shot at stopping a run play once in a while. I'm worried his combine numbers will rocket him into the top 10 though.

What numbers are those, fat and slow?

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 06:55 PM
What numbers are those, fat and slow?

you never know, he could jump out of a pool or something.

superman8456
09-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Is Allen Bailey comparable to former 'Nole Brodrick Bunkley?

I'm just thinking 2 super strong dudes

Not really. Allen Bailey is a better athlete than Bunkley is, and its not close. They are comparable in strength, but Bunkley still has 20-30 pounds on him.

Falcon<3
09-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Not really. Allen Bailey is a better athlete than Bunkley is, and its not close. They are comparable in strength, but Bunkley still has 20-30 pounds on him.

Better athlete thank Bunkley? AND it's not close? Me thinks you have homerglasses / mancrush glasses on. Bunkley is an athletic freak. I hate the Eagles, but it doesn't discount his ability. That guy is an absolute monster, there isn't a DT that is a better athlete by that wide of a margin, there are some who are, but no one is so much more athletic than him that "it's not close"

superman8456
09-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Better athlete thank Bunkley? AND it's not close? Me thinks you have homerglasses / mancrush glasses on. Bunkley is an athletic freak. I hate the Eagles, but it doesn't discount his ability. That guy is an absolute monster, there isn't a DT that is a better athlete by that wide of a margin, there are some who are, but no one is so much more athletic than him that "it's not close"

He is the strongest person probably on the Eagles roster and he is a freak of nature when it comes to that. But he is not an "athlete".

Bailley moves like a DE and has the frame and strength of a DT.

Thumper
09-29-2009, 10:22 PM
He is the strongest person probably on the Eagles roster and he is a freak of nature when it comes to that. But he is not an "athlete".

Bailley moves like a DE and has the frame and strength of a DT.

Really? Bunkley was 300 pounds, benched 225 44 times and he ran a 5.0 40 yard dash. Hardly any can top that, infact off the top of my head the only one who did was Haynesworth.

Bailey is a freak but he is not as strong as Bunkley, he is faster and more fluid but he lacks the girth. They're very different players.

djp
09-30-2009, 06:08 AM
How has Arthur Jones played in his last few games? What a steal this guy is going to be after watching him vs Minnesota in Week 1. I haven't gotten any Syracuse games so it's hard to keep up with him.

Anyone seen him other than week 1?

wonderbredd24
09-30-2009, 06:42 AM

His conditioning is precisely what would terrify me about him if I was a GM. Alabama has a good rotation with their DLine, but it seems like Cody just isn't on the field much.

Thumper
10-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Jeff Owens is a freaking monster, he is soo strong against the run. He will make a 4-3 team VERY happy with him at NT.

Larry121283
10-04-2009, 02:28 AM
Gerald McCoy has insane hand quickness and burst.

He didn't show up on the stat sheet tonight, but he was a factor. Constant double teaming, chipping...ran away from him often and when they ran to his side, doubled and the 'Canes put out the unbalanced line. However, Harland Gunn did have his fair share of successes against McCoy...but he is insanely quick and has good technique. Off-set a lot of his quick penetration with quick hitters, dump offs, max protection, etc.

With that said, Demarcus Granger and whomever else was out there along side McCoy, eaten alive by Orlando Franklin.

Babylon
10-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Gerald McCoy has insane hand quickness and burst.

He didn't show up on the stat sheet tonight, but he was a factor. Constant double teaming, chipping...ran away from him often and when they ran to his side, doubled and the 'Canes put out the unbalanced line. However, Harland Gunn did have his fair share of successes against McCoy...but he is insanely quick and has good technique. Off-set a lot of his quick penetration with quick hitters, dump offs, max protection, etc.

With that said, Demarcus Granger and whomever else was out there along side McCoy, eaten alive by Orlando Franklin.

McCoy's a beast, i dont know if you line him up strictly inside in a 4-3 but something tells me he can play wherever he wants. You would have to think someone drafting high that needs help on that side of the ball will be looking at him and Berry right off the bat.

wonderbredd24
10-04-2009, 11:39 AM
McCoy's a beast, i dont know if you line him up strictly inside in a 4-3 but something tells me he can play wherever he wants. You would have to think someone drafting high that needs help on that side of the ball will be looking at him and Berry right off the bat.

God I hope so. As long as we get one of them, I will be very happy

georgiafan
10-04-2009, 08:02 PM
UGA's Kade Weston made himself some money yesterday

roscoesdad27
10-04-2009, 08:46 PM
i still have suh as my #1 d.t. slightly ahead of mccoy...but i have mccoy slightly ahead of suh as a 3-4 d.e.....both are great and should go top 5....jones isnt far behind, cody is a beast and ogobasse could easily be a first rounder as well....great class, as advertised.

iBoldin
10-04-2009, 11:36 PM
i still have suh as my #1 d.t. slightly ahead of mccoy...but i have mccoy slightly ahead of suh as a 3-4 d.e.....both are great and should go top 5....jones isnt far behind, cody is a beast and ogobasse could easily be a first rounder as well....great class, as advertised.

Interesting that you have Suh over McCoy. Care to explain why?

I like Suh, he's a good player and everything, but I think he gets a little overhyped on these boards and by draftniks. He does a lot of things well, but he doesn't have any qualities that jump out at you. Glenn Dorsey was more advertised, but that was rightly so, and he went 4.

Justdon't see Suh as a top-five pick at this point. He got overhyped because he had an impressive bowl game and end to the season.

roscoesdad27
10-05-2009, 03:10 PM

I like Suh, he's a good player and everything, but I think he gets a little overhyped on these boards and by draftniks. He does a lot of things well, but he doesn't have any qualities that jump out at you. Glenn Dorsey was more advertised, but that was rightly so, and he went 4.

Justdon't see Suh as a top-five pick at this point. He got overhyped because he had an impressive bowl game and end to the season.

suh is looking good this year as well...i have him rated SLIGHTLY ahead of mccoy as a d.t. because he is slightly bigger and better suited to play n.t. where mcoy is a strictly u.t. type....they're pretty much even...so even in fact that i have mccoy slightly ahead of suh for the #1 3-4 d.e. prospect.

JFLO
10-05-2009, 03:18 PM

How was he overhyped for a single game, the dude was a force all season long last year.

At first, I was with you on the fact that I really don't see what all the commotion was about with Suh, but the more I watch of him and the more I read on him, I think he has Top 5 pick written all over him. He has great size while still maintaining good athleticism.

I agree with you in the fact that McCoy is the better prospect, but I think right now in my rankings (overall), I have McCoy #2 and Suh #3

djp
10-05-2009, 04:18 PM
This is the best year for defensive tackles that I can remember. It's absolutely loaded. Guys on the fringe would be better off staying and trying to improve for next year. McCoy and Suh are both locks for the Top 10 imo.

SenorGato
10-07-2009, 11:16 PM
I've probably mentioned this before, but am I really the only guy who thinks Oghobaase is the best DT in the class thats a lock to come out?

Yes, over Suh. I also think he's closer to Ngata and that class of DT than Suh is, though Suh is a pretty high end prospect himself.

iBoldin
10-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Arthur Jones is having some fun against West Virginia's interior offensive line, from what I've seen. Further cementing his top 20 status, in my opinion.

He just had a sack and is commanding double teams all game.

Geo
10-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I wasn't too impressed with Jones from what I saw of him the first two games, he was good but didn't strike me as a definite 1st round pick, but it's good to hear he's playing very well.

Babylon
10-10-2009, 12:57 PM
I've probably mentioned this before, but am I really the only guy who thinks Oghobaase is the best DT in the class thats a lock to come out?

Yes, over Suh. I also think he's closer to Ngata and that class of DT than Suh is, though Suh is a pretty high end prospect himself.

Put me down for Suh being better than Ngata.

Rosebud
10-10-2009, 03:02 PM

I don't know if I'd go that high with Oghobaase, he's a beast but I think McCoy and Suh are better prospects at the moment. I do think he's the third best DT and best 3-4 DE in this draft however.

Thumper
10-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Terrence Cody dominated today, he was still taken out more than he should be but I watched him and the rest of the prospects very very carefully And Cody was overpowering the interior offensive linemen all game, he walked them backwards, he knocked them down, he was doubled all game and I saw 3-4 occasions in which he was triple teamed. He didn't get moved off the line at all he made a few tackles. After watching him today, I'm convinced that if he becomes more conditioned, he will be the best 3-4 NT in the game. He was flat out dominant.

TACKLE
10-10-2009, 06:40 PM
As of right now, Brian Price is my #3 DT. Every time I watch him, I'm always very impressed.

Geo
10-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Same here, I definitely consider Price as the clear-cut #3.

And personally he's my #2 DT, above Suh, because I value explosion.

JFLO
10-10-2009, 08:08 PM
I haven't been able to watch Price too much, but he is my #4 right now behind the two obvious and Allen Bailey at 3.

roscoesdad27
10-11-2009, 07:08 AM
here's my updated d.t./3-4 d.e. rankings

4-3 d.t.
1) suh
2) mccoy (u.t.)
3) v. ogobasse (n.t.)
4) a. jones (u.t.)
5) t. cody (n.t.)
6) m. austin
7) b. price
8) k. weston (n.t.)
9) a. woods (n.t.)
10) j. oderick (u.t.)

3-4 d.e.
1) g. mccoy
2) n. suh
3) a. jones
4) v. ogobasse
5) a. baily
6) c. heyward
7) t. alu alu
8) j. oderick
9) m. austin
10) c.j. wilson

3-4 n.t.
1) t. cody
2) n. suh
3) v. ogobasse
4) b. robinson
5) c. thomas
6) d. williams
7) p. taylor
8) e. udofia
9) d. granger
10) a. woods

Cigaro
10-11-2009, 09:41 AM
here's my updated d.t./3-4 d.e. rankings

4-3 d.t.
1) suh
2) mccoy (u.t.)
3) v. ogobasse (n.t.)
4) a. jones (u.t.)
5) t. cody (n.t.)
6) m. austin
7) b. price
8) k. weston (n.t.)
9) a. woods (n.t.)
10) j. oderick (u.t.)

3-4 d.e.
1) g. mccoy
2) n. suh
3) a. jones
4) v. ogobasse
5) a. baily
6) c. heyward
7) t. alu alu
8) j. oderick
9) m. austin
10) c.j. wilson

3-4 n.t.
1) t. cody
2) n. suh
3) v. ogobasse
4) b. robinson
5) c. thomas
6) d. williams
7) p. taylor
8) e. udofia
9) d. granger
10) a. woods

No Brandon Deaderick for 3-4 DE? Seriously? If I had to rank the 3-4 DEs

1. Ndamukong Suh
2. Gerald McCoy
3. Allen Bailey
4. Arthur Jones
5. Brandon Deaderick

Rosebud
10-11-2009, 01:00 PM
No Brandon Deaderick for 3-4 DE? Seriously? If I had to rank the 3-4 DEs

1. Ndamukong Suh
2. Gerald McCoy
3. Allen Bailey
4. Arthur Jones
5. Brandon Deaderick

That list begs the question, no Vince Oghobaase? Dude is built like Richard Seymour, is a high caliber athlete and does it all.

TACKLE
10-11-2009, 01:24 PM
D'Anthony Smith is so underrated. I know a lot of that has to do with the fact that he plays at LaTech but I hope he gets the respect he deserves come draft time.

BigBanger
10-11-2009, 01:28 PM
If Brian Price enters, he will be a top 10 pick.

He is overshadowed by the two monsters, but he has tons of potential. Not to mention he has dominated the three games I've seen him play this year.

It's good to see him getting some recognition, but after the first time I saw him (TEN), he immediately went into my top 10 and he hasn't done anything to make me consider moving him out of my top 10.

TACKLE
10-11-2009, 05:32 PM
A guy to be aware of is Joe Joseph from Miami. He has been a disruptive force all year. He's 6'3 306 and leads the team in TFL's with 5. He's strong and can shed blocks but he's also got a good burst and ability to penetrate in the backfield. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up going in the 2nd or 3rd round. His best fit is probably as a 4-3 NT.

underscore
10-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I know Miami has only played 5 games, but only 5 TFL leads the team?

etk
10-11-2009, 06:39 PM
A guy to be aware of is Joe Joseph from Miami. He has been a disruptive force all year. He's 6'3 306 and leads the team in TFL's with 5. He's strong and can shed blocks but he's also got a good burst and ability to penetrate in the backfield. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up going in the 2nd or 3rd round. His best fit is probably as a 4-3 NT.

Definitely not athletic enough for the 1st 3 rounds.

He's strong...that's about it. Backup NT in a 4-3.

Bailey, Regis and Forston are all future studs though. I like Curtis Porter too but he hasn't really seen the field yet.

Duffman57
10-11-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm just gonna do the 3-4 guys cuz that all i've been paying attention to.

DE:
1. G. McCoy
2. N. Suh
3. A. Jones
4. V. Oghobaase
5. T. Alualu
6. C. Heyward
7. A. Bailey
8. B. Deaderick
9. D. Granger
10. L. Marsh

NT:
1. N. Suh
2. T. Cody (i dont like him as a prospect because of his bad work ethic but he is one of the only guys with the pure size)
3. P. Taylor
4. D. Williams
5. C. Thomas
6. D. Granger
7. K. Ellis
8. A. Woods
9. B. Robinson
10. E. Udofia

TACKLE
10-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Definitely not athletic enough for the 1st 3 rounds.

He's strong...that's about it. Backup NT in a 4-3.

Bailey, Regis and Forston are all future studs though. I like Curtis Porter too but he hasn't really seen the field yet.

2nd is a stetch. I could see him going mid third though. In the past he looked slow but this year he's been much more active and has done a good job at playing on the other side of the backfield. If he can close the season with 10+ TFL's and a couple sacks, he should get some attention.

Also, I've been consistently impressed with Regis this year.

Cigaro
10-12-2009, 08:15 AM
That list begs the question, no Vince Oghobaase? Dude is built like Richard Seymour, is a high caliber athlete and does it all.

He's 6th best for me. I didn't care to ponder how I ranked 7-10, so I stopped at five.

wicket
10-12-2009, 09:37 AM
im quite glad that my saints need a DT in next years draft. there is bound to be a few good ones left when we have to pick

aNYtitan
10-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Alright is all this love for Suh well justified? I mean has he proven it over his career as opposed to building his hype this year. Someone has compared him Ngata, which I think is absurd at this moment, cause that means comparing him to arguably the best DT in the game. Also how close is it between Suh and McCoy to be the first DT taken?

Thumper
10-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Alright is all this love for Suh well justified? I mean has he proven it over his career as opposed to building his hype this year. Someone has compared him Ngata, which I think is absurd at this moment, cause that means comparing him to arguably the best DT in the game. Also how close is it between Suh and McCoy to be the first DT taken?

The comparison isn't justified IMO, he does a some things similar to Ngata and the reason I think most identify them as similar is because Suh drops into coverage. Other than that Suh is probably more comparable to Richard Seymour or Kevin Williams. Ngata is much bigger and stronger and Suh is the better pass rusher while Ngata is more of a run stuffer.

McCoy is just a monster on the line but with Suh's performance this season I cannot justify ranking him above Suh. Both are worthy of being taken in the top 5 and both will make a team very happy.

BigBanger
10-21-2009, 12:17 AM
He has been down right dominate. This is not a product of hype. He has few very flaws in his game (like playing high at times), but his upper body strength and hand work / strength is simply unparalleled for college players. His motor is incredible. His strength at the point of attack is the best in college football. His ability to push the pocket, or simply just rape an OG with pure quickness (on occasion, he doesn't do it all the time) is extremely impressive. He can play shed blockers, play two gaps and do it better than any DT I've ever seen. He's going to be better than Ngata (who should have gone in the top 5 himself). He also has great awareness and is incredibly smart player. He has batted 8 passes at the LOS. He reads screens extremely well... the guy has so few holes in his games, it's scary.

Suh is the best 34 DE prospect the Draft has ever seen. He makes Tyson Jackson look like Adam Carriker.

bigbuc
10-21-2009, 01:48 AM
What's crazy is D linemen just like Qb's have high bust rates. Sometimes it's the player and some time it's the team. Like Glenn Dorsey is not made for a 3/4 he's not even made to plat NT in a 4/3 like last year. He is made to be a one gap UT. So he'll always be a bust to anyone in KC. But still you give big guys who love the richer things in life. Then you give them top ten money and want them to play hard and not eat themselves out of the starting line up. That's why it's not just about how big and fast and strong they are for me. But if they run plays down from behind or do they show up when the games on the line in the 4th or are they on the sidelines. That's why my number one is Suh... Then it's the kid from ucla Brian Price then it's McCoy.

bigbuc
10-21-2009, 01:53 AM
Also it's just me but if Brian Price played on USC and Not UCLA or played for the U everyone and there moms would be calling him the next Sapp. If he gets to a team that runs a one gap system and makes him a 3tech they'll be getting a great player!

aNYtitan
10-21-2009, 11:34 PM
He has been down right dominate. This is not a product of hype. He has few very flaws in his game (like playing high at times), but his upper body strength and hand work / strength is simply unparalleled for college players. His motor is incredible. His strength at the point of attack is the best in college football. His ability to push the pocket, or simply just rape an OG with pure quickness (on occasion, he doesn't do it all the time) is extremely impressive. He can play shed blockers, play two gaps and do it better than any DT I've ever seen. He's going to be better than Ngata (who should have gone in the top 5 himself). He also has great awareness and is incredibly smart player. He has batted 8 passes at the LOS. He reads screens extremely well... the guy has so few holes in his games, it's scary.

Suh is the best 34 DE prospect the Draft has ever seen. He makes Tyson Jackson look like Adam Carriker.
So on that praising note, can he be a monster tackle in a 4-3 defense?
What is your opinion of Gerald McCoy then?

SenorGato
10-25-2009, 02:07 AM

VO's hype won't come until the Senior Bowl and then the combine.

Awesome prospect, and my favorite pick for the Jets in the first next year.

superman8456
10-25-2009, 08:35 AM
It seems like this thread has completely forgot about Jared Odrick. He is having a nice little season so far with 5 sacks and 28 tackles.

SenorGato
10-25-2009, 10:06 AM
He didn't play yesterday, but thoughts on Phil Taylor?

He's got that freak NT size and has the box-like body. Moves really well too...not as much a bad character guy as could be painted by his getting kicked off of Penn. St.'s team.

SuperKevin
10-25-2009, 11:03 AM
He didn't play yesterday, but thoughts on Phil Taylor?

He's got that freak NT size and has the box-like body. Moves really well too...not as much a bad character guy as could be painted by his getting kicked off of Penn. St.'s team.

He reminds me a lot of Jamal Williams. I'd look at him if I was San Diego in the 3rd round.

Oh yeah, both are Washington DC natives also

SenorGato
10-25-2009, 12:06 PM
He reminds me a lot of Jamal Williams. I'd look at him if I was San Diego in the 3rd round.

Oh yeah, both are Washington DC natives also

I have a Oghobaase + Taylor campaign going for the Jets.

That'd rebuild the DL...

underscore
10-25-2009, 12:57 PM
It seems like this thread has completely forgot about Jared Odrick. He is having a nice little season so far with 5 sacks and 28 tackles.

And a total of 9 TFL, good for 2nd on the team

Rosebud
10-25-2009, 01:01 PM
VO's hype won't come until the Senior Bowl and then the combine.

Awesome prospect, and my favorite pick for the Jets in the first next year.

Yeah, if we don't end up grabbing a safety in the first round I'm hoping big O is still there when the giants pick, he'd be a great fit in our rotation with Canty, Bernard and Alford, since Robbens and Cofield are upgradeable and FAs.

Duffman57
10-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Hey just wondering, do u guys think that Brian Price has any fit in the 3-4 D? And if so, where. It doesn't seem he has the wieght to play the NT position and i'm not sure he's quick enough to play at DE, but just curious.

SuperKevin
10-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Hey just wondering, do u guys think that Brian Price has any fit in the 3-4 D? And if so, where. It doesn't seem he has the wieght to play the NT position and i'm not sure he's quick enough to play at DE, but just curious.

I think he has very little value in a 3-4. He's best suited for a 4-3 role

RaiderNation
10-28-2009, 05:24 PM
We all know that Suh and McCoy are 1a and 1b. Who is the top guy after them though? Arthur Jones, Brian Price, Marvin Austin or Allen Bailey? Others?

JFLO
10-28-2009, 05:30 PM
For me it is Arthur Jones, but that is only because I haven't been able to watch or read much on Brian Price, if that tells you anything.

I think Bailey's stock is majority of potential.

Cicero
10-28-2009, 06:22 PM
I think he has very little value in a 3-4. He's best suited for a 4-3 role

Agreed. He's a 4-3 UT and that's it. Not that it's a bad thing, just sayin.

CC.SD
10-28-2009, 09:37 PM
We all know that Suh and McCoy are 1a and 1b. Who is the top guy after them though? Arthur Jones, Brian Price, Marvin Austin or Allen Bailey? Others?

Man I love this DT class. Don't forget Cody.

P-L
10-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Defensive line in general is just so deep this year, especially if all the top underclassmen declare. That is great news for the Lions. I would love two defensive lineman and one offensive line in the first three rounds this year.

ElectricEye
10-28-2009, 10:52 PM

I would go Brian Price, Arthur Jones, Marvin Austin and Allen Bailey in terms of order. Price and Jones are far and away better than Austin and Bailey, but those two have upside to burn.

SenorGato
10-29-2009, 05:05 PM
For me it is Arthur Jones, but that is only because I haven't been able to watch or read much on Brian Price, if that tells you anything.

I think Bailey's stock is majority of potential.

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics/400/XO/XOLVYDWELVIVSFL.20081004191939.jpg

SuperKevin
10-29-2009, 06:06 PM
I still really like Dan Williams from Tennessee. I'd love for the Bills to draft him in the 3rd or 4th round

SenorGato
10-29-2009, 07:05 PM
I still really like Dan Williams from Tennessee. I'd love for the Bills to draft him in the 3rd or 4th round

+1

Solid, stout DT with a ton of experience in a tough conference.

Would also be a good backup NT in a 3-4.

D-Rod
10-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Who'd be the top 4-3 NT?

Thumper
10-30-2009, 01:29 PM
+1

Solid, stout DT with a ton of experience in a tough conference.

Would also be a good backup NT in a 3-4.

Don't be fooled by his frame, he is not nearly as stout as he should be at his size, he plays more like a UT than a NT and he isn't really a good UT.

--------
Top 4-3 NT is Suh but behind him is probably Boo Robinson and Jeff Owens. Big Vince Oghobaase has the frame, but he doesn't have the strength yet to effectively man a NT spot and is currently best suited for UT but if he can add strength he would be a behemoth at NT at 6'6" and 310+ pounds. But, he is best suited for 3-4 end.

RaiderNation
10-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Ive been watching highlight of Suh from ProDraftParty. All I can is he is the real deal. Great against the run and pass. Add him to any team and they will improve. He also is a quality person who puts his team infront of himself

watch him beat the RG every single play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp_LpT82xrg

BigBanger
10-30-2009, 02:36 PM
watch him beat the RG every single play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp_LpT82xrg
That's why they call them highlights.

CC.SD
10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
That's why they call them highlights.

lol what, does this mean Michael Jordan missed a shot sometimes?

trojanbrutha
11-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Former Cornhusker turned Troy Trojan, Kevin Dixon (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2009&org=716&player=98), has been doing pretty well. The only other senior DT is Rashad Roussell (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2009&org=716&player=97). He was hurt before fall practice, but I believe he's back into the rotation. They are not your typical biscuit-eaters but they've been known to blow up a line...

http://www.troytrojans.com//pics22/640/EB/EBYIIIWHWKDVQCS.20090912185309.jpg

Seniors DT Dixon and DE Cameron Sheffield (9/12/2009)

bigbuc
11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
What do you guys think Mt Cody could do in one gap Nt in a 4/3 ? Just wanted to ask because on what I saw with the blocked FG's. He was asked to blow into a gap like he would in that system. Not saying he would ever be a big time sack guy. Just everyone keeps just putting him down as a Nt in a 3/4. I think he could play Nt in a 4/3... If Pat Williams can so can this kid.

CashmoneyDrew
11-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Dan Williams has been killing it lately. Versatile enough to play in a 4-3 or 3-4. Probably started the season as a 5th rounder. He's probably worked his way up to the third at this point.

PossibleCabbage
11-02-2009, 02:33 PM
What do you guys think Mt Cody could do in one gap Nt in a 4/3 ? Just wanted to ask because on what I saw with the blocked FG's. He was asked to blow into a gap like he would in that system. Not saying he would ever be a big time sack guy. Just everyone keeps just putting him down as a Nt in a 3/4. I think he could play Nt in a 4/3... If Pat Williams can so can this kid.

Personally, I think playing the 1-technique in a 4-3 defense is the best position for Cody, much better than as a 3-4 0-technique. I don't know if Cody has the agility that the 0-technique needs in order to occupy two blockers on run defense.

The key difference between 4-3 NTs and 3-4 NTs is that the 3-4 NT lines up with his hat on the C and the 4-3 NT lines up in the A-gap. When the offense is running the ball, it is the prerogative of the offensive line to choose who they will block with whom. The worst possible scenario for a 3-4 defense here is if the offense decides that the C is able to inconvenience the NT to a sufficient degree that he will be unable to make the play, and the two Gs run right past him and block linebackers. The 4-3 NT doesn't have that problem since he lines up between the G and the C, and so will generally be able to prevent at least one G from getting to the second level. The 3-4 NT has to force a double-team with play, the 4-3 NT gets to force a double-team with positioning.

The reason people are always talking about 3-4 NTs is that they are very hard to find. Most agile men are not big and most big men are not agile. Players who might be ready to play NT in the 3-4 right away are exceptionally rare(though most every draft has a few guys who could play the 0-tech with ~3 years of seasoning), and so anybody who falls into that category gets a lot of press for it.

etk
11-02-2009, 06:13 PM

Yeah I agree with the Pat Williams comparison. His best fit is at 4-3 NT imo.

RaiderNation
11-02-2009, 10:43 PM
What would Brian Price and Marvin Austin play in a 4-3? UT or NT?

Thumper
11-02-2009, 10:51 PM
What would Brian Price and Marvin Austin play in a 4-3? UT or NT?

definitely UT, Brian Price is extremely similar to Mike Patterson IMO and Marvin Austin has the potential to be a Corey Simon type of player IMO.

bigbuc
11-03-2009, 01:51 AM
I think if Brian Price played at USC and not Ucla he would be talked about as a top ten pick. Price is a vert good Ut. Guys always making plays.

bwillie26
11-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Former Cornhusker turned Troy Trojan, Kevin Dixon (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2009&org=716&player=98), has been doing pretty well. The only other senior DT is Rashad Roussell (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2009&org=716&player=97). He was hurt before fall practice, but I believe he's back into the rotation. They are not your typical biscuit-eaters but they've been known to blow up a line...

http://www.troytrojans.com//pics22/640/EB/EBYIIIWHWKDVQCS.20090912185309.jpg

Seniors DT Dixon and DE Cameron Sheffield (9/12/2009)

Too bad Dixon has a better chance at passing a nuclear physics test than he does a drug test.

trojanbrutha
11-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Too bad Dixon has a better chance at passing a nuclear physics test than he does a drug test.

I'm not familiar with why he left NB, but I don't see that being an issue at TROY. Richard Shaughnessy is a Master S & C coach and I've never heard anything drug-related associated with him or the program.

http://www.troytrojans.com//pics10/400/BS/BSFXXNGRSAMIOHB.20090815185724.jpg

He's probably a little heavier but his weight is listed as 260 on the depth chart...your comment may say more about the cornhuskers than it does about Troy.

bwillie26
11-04-2009, 07:37 AM
I'm not familiar with why he left NB, but I don't see that being an issue at TROY. Richard Shaughnessy is a Master S & C coach and I've never heard anything drug-related associated with him or the program.

Drugs = Weed.

Dixon had a severe weed habit that got him bounced within a few months. Pelini tests his players more frequently than even the NCAA requires, which is why Quentin Castille got the boot earlier this year.

If you go back to the Castille situation, the guy got sent home in July. Everyone cited it as personal issues, but Pelini actually booted him from the team then. Castille promised it would not happen again. Not 3 weeks later Pelini gave him another test, which he failed, and he was booted from the team just a couple weeks before the season. None of those tests were NCAA enforced, but team managed.

There were even a couple of starters last year and this year who got demoted because of failed drug tests .. *cough* Lucky *cough*.

Alot of people don't like the policy Pelini has towards drugs, especially marijuana. But the dude cracks down on that like no other.

So yeah, I'd backtrack a bit on your statement about it being reflective of Nebraska.

SuperKevin
11-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Former Penn State DT Abe Koroma who is now at Western Illinois is rumored to be leaning towards declaring for the draft. He's 6'3" 317 lbs. He's not making a huge impact right now at the FCS level but scouts are supposedly intrigued with his skill set.

CC.SD
11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Drugs = Weed.

Dixon had a severe weed habit that got him bounced within a few months. Pelini tests his players more frequently than even the NCAA requires, which is why Quentin Castille got the boot earlier this year.

If you go back to the Castille situation, the guy got sent home in July. Everyone cited it as personal issues, but Pelini actually booted him from the team then. Castille promised it would not happen again. Not 3 weeks later Pelini gave him another test, which he failed, and he was booted from the team just a couple weeks before the season. None of those tests were NCAA enforced, but team managed.

There were even a couple of starters last year and this year who got demoted because of failed drug tests .. *cough* Lucky *cough*.

Alot of people don't like the policy Pelini has towards drugs, especially marijuana. But the dude cracks down on that like no other.

So yeah, I'd backtrack a bit on your statement about it being reflective of Nebraska.

Can you please never stop having such a sexy sig?

Todd Bertuzzi
11-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Arthur Jones done for the season with a knee injury.

SuperKevin
11-10-2009, 11:15 PM

Yeah it's a torn meniscus. I don't know how long that should sideline him for. Hopefully he'll make it back in time for the Combine

CC.SD
11-11-2009, 12:47 AM

Man that sucks.

RaiderNation
11-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Suh is such a beast.

JFLO
11-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Suh is such a beast.

Nessler said he asked Suh how much he weighed before the game and Suh said he weighted 291 as of like a week ago or something.

I swear, there are sometimes he looks like he is a legitimate 310, but other times he looks like he's no bigger than 290...maybe I'm getting fatter?

Babylon
11-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Suh is such a beast.

I'm actually surprised they dont move him around more on that D-line, they make it pretty easy to find him with double teams.

Duffman57
11-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Does anyone know anything about the DT from University of Ohio, Marcellis Williamson? He looks like he would be a great NT at 6'1" 340 but i haven't seen him play.

bigbuc
11-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Guys just wanted to know if Suh and Neb beat Texas, do you think Suh should have an invite to Ny?

Hurricanes25
11-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Guys just wanted to know if Suh and Neb beat Texas, do you think Suh should have an invite to Ny?

I think he should get an invite to NY no matter what happens in that game but I just can't see it happening. The Heisman has turned into an award for QB's, RB's, and WR's.

Babylon
11-23-2009, 03:29 PM

I think Tebow, Ingram, Gerhart and Suh should be invited. Doubt they all will.

RaiderNation
11-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Somebody said Suh is like 291 right now. Does that hurt his stock? I think he would have to atleast add 10-15 lbs to be able to play NT in a 4-3. So is he like McCoy and strickly a UT if he doesnt?

ToldLikeItIs
11-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Iowa DT Christian Ballard update

51 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 9 TFL

Not bad from D-Tackle.

6'5 300 with 4.7 speed

True Junior

Saints-Tigers
11-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Wow, every prospect from Iowa has an amazing 40 time. I'm glad you are here with unbiased and totally confirmed 40 times.

ToldLikeItIs
11-23-2009, 05:59 PM
He ran a 4.75 in HS at 284.
Ran the 100, and 200 in track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q68fXJ1PpZs
Proof.

11-23-2009, 06:40 PM
He ran a 4.75 in HS at 284.
Ran the 100, and 200 in track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q68fXJ1PpZs
Proof.

I want to know what he runs today, not what he did in HS. That doesn't matter.

etk
11-23-2009, 08:03 PM
In the fantasy land of Iowa football, 300 lb. linemen routinely run 4.7 40s. You guys are just on a different frequency.

ToldLikeItIs
11-23-2009, 09:13 PM
He's a ridiculous athlete for his size. Treat needs to vouch.

Foosballphan
11-23-2009, 10:07 PM
OplaLGwY5Uw
Nothing timed but he looks pretty good running down the field on Sash's pinball interception. He's number #46, just watch from 0:18 - 0:30.

Saints-Tigers
11-24-2009, 05:34 AM
High school 40 times are the most reliable source ever.

ToldLikeItIs
11-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Am I missing something?

You're posting to contribute to the thread right?

TACKLE
11-30-2009, 11:07 PM
The more I see him and the more he keeps producing, I can't help but think that Brian Price is going to be the next Sedrick Ellis and will be a Top 12 pick in this upcoming draft. Price has flat out dominated all year. He is tied for second in the nation with an incredible 22.5 TFL's. He also has 7 sacks to go along with that. Price has been unblockable all year in the Pac-10. He is very explosive and gets a great jump off the line but he's also very strong and plays with great leverage. He also does a excellent job at getting off blocks. At 6'2 300, he's fits the mold for a 3-technique. His game reminds me a lot of Sedrick Ellis. I think their physical tools along with their play on the field is right on the same level. Price is really the complete package as a 3-tech. Don't be surprised if come April, Price is being talked about as a Top 10 pick.

Todd Bertuzzi
11-30-2009, 11:18 PM
I really like Price and I feel that some team could get a real steal in the late 1st/2nd round with him. Imo he's a top 20 pick, not sure about top 10 though.

djp
12-02-2009, 01:50 PM
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_15980/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=UJLeCPmm

Whatever Bailey ate, it apparently worked. Ask any UM player or coach to name the team's most physically-gifted athlete and Bailey wins hands down. He power cleans 400 pounds, squats 570 pounds and bench presses 405. He was measured at 39 inches in a vertical jump and ran the 40-yard dash this summer in 4.65 seconds. His body fat is 8 percent.

Oh, and he's 6 feet 4 inches and 288 pounds.

RaiderNation
12-02-2009, 03:58 PM
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_15980/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=UJLeCPmm

Welcome to the Oakland Raiders

Race for the Heisman
12-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the Oakland Raiders

Just curious, How do you plan on drafting Taylor Mays, Allen Bailey, and Carlos Dunlap?

regoob2
12-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Just curious, How do you plan on drafting Taylor Mays, Allen Bailey, and Carlos Dunlap?
Al Davis has magical powers. Trade Aso.

JhawkFitness
12-03-2009, 12:52 AM
I want to know what he runs today, not what he did in HS. That doesn't matter.

Mid-4.8's, he's also 15# heavier than in high school. That's from a very good source.

Duffman57
12-03-2009, 10:53 PM
What does everyone think of Stephan Paea? He's been a monster today, and he has been for a while. He has dominated the Oregon OL today, and last year, he dominated Max Unger all game, who was a 2nd round pick i believe. His size leads people to believe that he is undersized, but he is unbelievably strong and is dominating in the running game and against double teams. He has great leverage (he's only 6'1" but he is 290) and amazing stamina because he was a very good rugby player on the national Tongan team i believe (thats what the announcers have been saying about him.).

Larry121283
12-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Ndamukong Suh is the best defensive tackle prospect I've ever seen actually play.

I'm not lucky enough to see Reggie White at Tennessee...Lee Roy Selmon at Oklahoma...Bruce Smith at VaTech...The Fridge at Clemson...the legends...but I can not imagine them being MORE dominant than Suh (I've seen a lot of Jerome Brown, and Suh looks on par with Brown, to me). He is unblockable 1-on-1. His activity level in the middle is better than any LINEMAN I've ever seen. He is OX strong. INSANE quickness off the snap.

How he is anything less than a consensus best player in the draft is beyond me.

SenorGato
12-07-2009, 07:42 PM
^^^ Never saw John Henderson at Tenn?

Sucks that Jacksonville never won anything because Taylor and Henderson would have been huge in their primes.

Duffman57
12-08-2009, 06:10 PM
What about Torrell Troup? He seems like he could develop into a good 3-4 NT.

Hokie_Pokie08
12-09-2009, 02:27 AM
Ndamukong Suh is the best defensive tackle prospect I've ever seen actually play.

I'm not lucky enough to see Reggie White at Tennessee...Lee Roy Selmon at Oklahoma...Bruce Smith at VaTech...The Fridge at Clemson...the legends...but I can not imagine them being MORE dominant than Suh (I've seen a lot of Jerome Brown, and Suh looks on par with Brown, to me). He is unblockable 1-on-1. His activity level in the middle is better than any LINEMAN I've ever seen. He is OX strong. INSANE quickness off the snap.

How he is anything less than a consensus best player in the draft is beyond me.

Don't get crazy now. Bruce damn near equaled Suh's career sack total his junior year at VT. Bruce finished his career with 71 tackles for loss and 46 sacks.

That said, Suh is an incredible talent and he is very deserving of the hype his is currently getting.

Ozzy
12-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Gus Mustakas of Pitt is playing some pretty solid football at the moment.

However, personally I am still obsessed with Stephen Paea of Oregon State at this present time.

GoHuskers
12-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I just can't consider Cody a legit prospect until he loses about 40 pounds. His impact has been so minimal this year in the games I've seen, he's only on the field about half the snaps. He's got great athletic ability and he's solid in recognition and pursuit from what I've seen, but he always plays high and never uses his hands. He's non-existent in the passing game and only requires a double if you're running right over his gap, he doesn't even require a block if you're going to run outside because he's slow out of his stance. He's a major project who can only make a team if he loses 40 pounds and then your evaluation of him has to start all over because who knows how he'll play at that weight.

superman8456
12-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Brian Price did not have that good of a bowl game. I saw him get washed up field on a lot of runs in the middle, but I also saw him make some nice tackles. Showed good athleticism chasing a RB down from behind, but not really that impressive.

Nard_Dog
12-29-2009, 09:39 PM
What does everyone think of Marvin Austin, defensive tackle out of North Carolina? I have seen him mocked from the first round to the third round. He has a ton of potential but is he really worth a first round pick yet?

Thoughts?

GoHuskers
12-29-2009, 09:54 PM
I will admit the bowl was the first I've seen of Austin but he was absolutely awful. The only time he actually shed a block he missed the tackle and the rest of the game he was shoved around the field. The other 2 DT's completely outplayed him. Price has been on and off all year. Really the top 2 are the only consistent ones, the rest are all great athletes with 1st round talent but 3rd round production.

RaiderNation
12-29-2009, 09:57 PM
What does everyone think of Marvin Austin, defensive tackle out of North Carolina? I have seen him mocked from the first round to the third round. He has a ton of potential but is he really worth a first round pick yet?

Thoughts?

Able to play UT and NT effectively. I can see him going from mid 1st to early 2nd.

TACKLE
12-29-2009, 11:19 PM
I will admit the bowl was the first I've seen of Austin but he was absolutely awful. The only time he actually shed a block he missed the tackle and the rest of the game he was shoved around the field. The other 2 DT's completely outplayed him. Price has been on and off all year. Really the top 2 are the only consistent ones, the rest are all great athletes with 1st round talent but 3rd round production.

He has never impressed me when I've watched him. I think he's living more off highschool hype and physical ability than his play on the field. With that being said he'll still be a late 1st-early 2nd round pick. I think he'll probably end up a little overdrafted based on his upside.

bigbuc
12-30-2009, 01:15 AM
Brian Price did not have that good of a bowl game. I saw him get washed up field on a lot of runs in the middle, but I also saw him make some nice tackles. Showed good athleticism chasing a RB down from behind, but not really that impressive.

You're right he didn't look good. It didn't help that the field was ice and everyone had problems with there footing.

Cigaro
12-30-2009, 01:41 AM
Austin blows. The only reason he's being mentioned is because he was a 5-star coming high school. He was actually supposed to be an undertackle if I remember correctly, but his lack of any ability to actually shed a block or make a play made him a nosetackle, albeit literally a tackle who just takes up space and nothing more.

YotoJets007
12-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Marvin Austin belongs to UT in 4-3 only. Bullrush is his best attribute and rest of skills remain unpolished. When I saw him play he reminded me of Julius Peppers without hands. Austin still can be taken in the lower portion of the first round. More skilled position players come out of junior campaigns will push Austin out of 1st Round easily.

I like Jeffrey Fitzgerald for 6th Round. He could be another Chris Canty. He is natural pass rusher in 3-4 as DE.

Babylon
12-31-2009, 05:26 PM
What a stark differance watching Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy.

brasho
01-01-2010, 11:29 AM
I've been browsing these forums for a little while and I just wanted to add my 2 cents on this DT class.

Suh-I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it but after watching Suh in the Big 12 Championship game, I was psyched to watch him play Arizona. Though the Huskers rolled, I thought the Huskers' RG did a fairly decent job of neutralizing Suh. I think his name was Dobbs or something, but at 330 or so he was asked to single-block Suh most of the time and Suh didn't have a great game (maybe 2 tackles for loss-many of which were caused by his frenetic teammates bringing the action back to him). There were many plays where Suh failed to get off the line at all as if he were spying the QB like ijn the Texas game. Anyways, Suh certainly looked human and not like the same monster I saw against Texas, Missouri, and Colorado. He's still my number 1 guy, but perhaps larger, stronger NFL-sized OGs can neutralize him?

McCoy-I really wanted to watch him last night to see how he compares with Suh. I like his versatility, he lined up everywhere. He is very active with his hands and plays through pain. He seemed to always get penetration and stood up well against Gerhart's headfirst plunges into the line.

Brian Price-I noticed somebody say that Price stood out a little but for the most part was ordinary. I read he had a minor knee injury in practice the week before the game, I wonder if that had a small impact, at least in the first half of the game. Price did look fairly ordinary in the first half, in the 2nd half he was dominating despite not using his hands well. Obviously, this guy makes a lot of tackles and tackles for losses. The best thing about Brian Price, is that unlike the 5th year senior Suh, or 4th year junior McCoy, Brian Price is a true junior, just 3 years removed from HS... which means his potential is even greater. 5th and 6th year seniors on the DL have a big advantage of having an extra 2-4 years of experience and strength gains on their younger counterparts. My question is this. Is Brian Price in his 3rd year better than Suh or McCoy were in their 3rd years... the answer is a resounding "YES" to both of them.

Terrence Cody-never has a guy that has done so little gotten so many accolades. I think he has 1 career sack... had about 25-26 tackles this season... sure he eats space and gives the LBs behind him a free run, but this guy made 1st team all-SEC for playing the Mike Iupati of the the DL. This guy is strictly a 2-down run stuffing player. Unlike what somebody said about NTs in the 3-4, NTs don't need great agility, Cody will be coveted because of his girth and strength but will be shunned by others for his lack of quickness, poor conditioning, and possibllity of eating himself out of the league. He could also fit in as a 2-gap 4-3 DT but especting him to ever be a playmaker is ridiculous.

Marvin Austin-I'm still trying to figure him out. He looks like a prospect, he talks like a prospect, perhaps he even runs and lifts like a prospect, too. But after watching him 3-4 times this season and watching him consistently get pushed 5-10 yards down the field play after play... how can anybody see this guy as a possible 1st round pick. If this guy tests extremely well, I can see him having a 4th round value... but he absolutely disappears.

Tyson Alualu-This is a bit of a projection as he was a 3-4 DE... but he seems to have the quickness and motor to be an elite UT.... He's listed at 295 but he has a tiny little waist and I wonder if he isn't closer to 285. Playing DE in the 3-4 should have stifled his production but he was very productive, making lots of tackles and tackles for losses. He is projected by many as a DT but I'm sure a lot of 3-4 teams are intrigued by him as well. My questions with him are how well he will hold up inside, can he push the pocket or stand ground against the double team? He would sefinitely be a superior athlete on the inside, he is quick enough and fast enough to run the arc as a DE, he changes directions well and he chases everything down. I like him at the top of the 2nd, perhaps higher if he tests extremely well.

Dan Williams-Playing in a system that allows DTs to amass big stats, I don't see how Williams has been that productive to warrant all the hype. I haven't watched him enough but I have seen him penetrate a little and force action away from him. I still have to watch the VT-UT game end-to-end to really get a better read on him.

D'Anthony Smith-I forced myself to watch two of his games this season and tthough he didn' get pushed back and abused like Marvin Austin, nor did he fail to crack the stat sheet like Cody, he really didn't standout and didn't dominate one-on-ones like he should. Perhaps after some NFL experience and seasoning and in the right scheme he could be a good player, right now he just looks like a guy.

brasho
01-01-2010, 11:31 AM
What a stark differance watching Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy.

I thought McCoy had a better bowl game than Suh. I noticed Suh getting pushed back by the 330 lb OG he was going against far too often and I saw McCoy make more plays and be more disruptive against a better OLine.

That's not to say I have McCoy in Suh's class, I just expected Suh to dominate and he wsa single-blocked all game and he didn't.

brasho
01-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Marvin Austin belongs to UT in 4-3 only. Bullrush is his best attribute and rest of skills remain unpolished. When I saw him play he reminded me of Julius Peppers without hands. Austin still can be taken in the lower portion of the first round. More skilled position players come out of junior campaigns will push Austin out of 1st Round easily.

I like Jeffrey Fitzgerald for 6th Round. He could be another Chris Canty. He is natural pass rusher in 3-4 as DE.

I like Fitzgerald, too. Not only as a 3-4 DE but either as a 4-3 base DE or an UT in the 4-3. He was extremely productive his 1st and 2nd seasons at UVA playing LDE in their 3-4, racking up tons of tackles and TFL. I think he has the strength to hold up inside and could be athletic enough to be a mid-round UT/DE swingman steal.

I don't think he is anything like Canty, despite taking over Canty's spot in the UVA line-up, Fitzgerald doesn't nearly have Canty's height or brute strength but he does run a bit better and is more active.

I'm not sure what Austin's best move is. During the Pitt game, whenever he left the field as part of the line rotation, I was certain he was being benched... he was getting pushed back 10 yards all day in the running game plus he was usually the last Tarheel DL off the ball and the usually the one farthest away from the ball when it was thrown.

brasho
01-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Able to play UT and NT effectively. I can see him going from mid 1st to early 2nd.

Effectively? I think Austin might be better suited to play safety. Perhaps the perspective of being 10 yards off the ball when it is snapped (instead of being pushed 10 yards off the line) with nobody in front of him, might allow him to avoid getting pushed around the field like a doll.

I wonder if he played UT against teams with wide splits if he would be better, but I see no situation in which he could be a serviceable NT.

Babylon
01-01-2010, 12:04 PM
I thought McCoy had a better bowl game than Suh. I noticed Suh getting pushed back by the 330 lb OG he was going against far too often and I saw McCoy make more plays and be more disruptive against a better OLine.

That's not to say I have McCoy in Suh's class, I just expected Suh to dominate and he wsa single-blocked all game and he didn't.

I must have watched a differant game than you concerning Suh. I thought they were dragging their center over to help on him freeing up Turner and Crick to get penetration. McCoy looked good in the context of the whole Sooner front 8 looking good but if i didnt know who he was i wouldnt have been wowed. Both great players no doubt.

Historically to me it seems that top players dont always have great bowl games.

brasho
01-02-2010, 03:36 PM
I must have watched a differant game than you concerning Suh. I thought they were dragging their center over to help on him freeing up Turner and Crick to get penetration. McCoy looked good in the context of the whole Sooner front 8 looking good but if i didnt know who he was i wouldnt have been wowed. Both great players no doubt.

Historically to me it seems that top players dont always have great bowl games.

As a Buc fan, all I have been concentrating on are the major Buc team needs. Arizona did not double up on Suh very often. I'm wondering if Suh is going to have trouble against the bigger stronger OLines (like those in the power running heavy Pac-10 and Big-10) than the ones he played against in the finesse read option-heavy Big 12 (imagine calling the big 12 or 8 a "finesse conference" 10-15 years ago!).

This is one reason I am really looking forward to Suh possibly playing in the Senior Bowl to see how Suh stacks up against past Senior Bowl standout DTs like Sedrick Ellis, Trevor Laws, and Evander Hood.

Fuzzy Dunlop
01-05-2010, 06:58 PM
After watching tape of the 2, I may have to rank McCoy slightly ahead of Suh. McCoy is so explosive off the snap. He is instantly in the backfield on every play, regardless of the double team. Suh relies purely on strength too often, which won't always work against stronger NFL linemen. It will probably come down to fit, as McCoy is the prototype 4-3 UT and Suh 4-3 NT, but I think each one is versatile enough to play multiple schemes. Suh definitely has more of the playmaker factor and he's probably my #2 overall player. But, I see McCoy as a more fluid athlete and has better hand usage at the line of scrimmage. He's the rare elite pass rusher at DT, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if he goes ahead of Suh in the draft. It St. L goes QB and Det takes a LT, both will be on the board for TB and I see McCoy as the best Cover 2 UT to come along since maybe Tommie Harris.

Babylon
01-05-2010, 07:10 PM
After watching tape of the 2, I may have to rank McCoy slightly ahead of Suh. McCoy is so explosive off the snap. He is instantly in the backfield on every play, regardless of the double team. Suh relies purely on strength too often, which won't always work against stronger NFL linemen. It will probably come down to fit, as McCoy is the prototype 4-3 UT and Suh 4-3 NT, but I think each one is versatile enough to play multiple schemes. Suh definitely has more of the playmaker factor and he's probably my #2 overall player. But, I see McCoy as a more fluid athlete and has better hand usage at the line of scrimmage. He's the rare elite pass rusher at DT, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if he goes ahead of Suh in the draft. It St. L goes QB and Det takes a LT, both will be on the board for TB and I see McCoy as the best Cover 2 UT to come along since maybe Tommie Harris.

I eventually like Suh as a 3-4 DE like a Richard Seymour. I agree with the McCoy comparison to Harris even if it is two Sooners we're talking about. To say McCoy is a better prospect than Suh is beyond my comprehension but to each his own.

draftguru151
01-05-2010, 08:48 PM
McCoy looked much better in his bowl game and it wasn't really close. Was one of McCoy's best games though while it was one of Suh's lower ones. Suh spent a decent amount of time on the ground and wasn't disruptive at all, McCoy was in the backfield all day and was explosive and showed his great first step and athleticism. I've had McCoy #1 since the end of last year and Suh's season made me put them at 1a and 1b, but I'm pretty sure I'll have McCoy over Suh when it's all said and done. Not sure yet though.

Babylon
01-05-2010, 08:57 PM
McCoy looked much better in his bowl game and it wasn't really close. Was one of McCoy's best games though while it was one of Suh's lower ones. Suh spent a decent amount of time on the ground and wasn't disruptive at all, McCoy was in the backfield all day and was explosive and showed his great first step and athleticism. I've had McCoy #1 since the end of last year and Suh's season made me put them at 1a and 1b, but I'm pretty sure I'll have McCoy over Suh when it's all said and done. Not sure yet though.

While he was in the backfield all day he should have tried tackling Gerhart.

draftguru151
01-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Yea Oklahoma holding Gerhart to over a yard under his normal YPC (when 19 of the yards he got came from running to the left when McCoy was at DE on the other side and another 26 came when McCoy was on the sideline after getting a sack) looks really bad for McCoy.

GoHuskers
01-11-2010, 02:46 AM
Did anyone happen to count the number of snaps Cody took in the NC? I swear he played under 5 in the 2nd half, he got pretty close to matching his defensive snaps with his offensive(which were equally, if not more, pathetic). He's pretty overrated as a space eater too, he was singled up all night and handled every time. He's too weak, slow, and has too pathetic hand usage to play NT in a 3-4. His only real potential is his athleticism which can only be cultivated if he commits to losing 50+ pounds. One of the most overrated prospects I've seen in a while.

Rosebud
01-15-2010, 06:41 PM
I searched for the old thread but couldn't find it, probably because I'm incompetent but I did what I could. As a giants fan the DTs in this draft are a major concern since it is arguably our weakest position with Canty the only guy we know we can trust, Alford's injury makes me hesitant to trust him, while the rest are mediocre at best and/or free agents.

What I wanted to ask was where you guys thought Vince Oghobaase will go and how much he can still boost or kill his stock with all-star games and the combine to go. I'm a big fan because of his versatility and all-around talent level to go with the massive frame and quality athleticism, but he doesn't seem to be nearly as high on other people's boards.

TACKLE
01-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Bump for Rosebud.

Hines
01-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I like Oghobaase a lot. I do believe his stock has dropped because from what I saw on film, he got pushed back a lot in the run game. I think he's a 3rd to 5th rounder.

princefielder28
01-15-2010, 07:11 PM
How does everyone have the DTs ranked as of now...I think this is always one of the more debatable positions

1. Ndamukong Suh :: Nebraska
2. Gerald McCoy* :: Oklahoma
3. Brian Price* :: UCLA
4. Dan Williams :: Tennessee
5. Lamarr Houston :: Texas
6. Arthur Jones :: Syracuse
7. Jared Odrick :: Penn State
8. Tyson Alualu :: California
9. Terrence Cody :: Alabama
10. D’Anthony Smith :: Louisiana Tech
11. Vince Oghobaase :: Duke
12. Torell Troup :: Central Florida
13. Mike Neal :: Purdue
14. Earl Mitchell :: Arizona
15. Corey Peters :: Kentcuky

P-L
01-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Flip Arthur Jones with Lamarr Houston and that is pretty much how I feel.

Rosebud
01-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Bump for Rosebud.

Damn getting screwed by the search function, I kept searching for variants of "Draft Discussion - Defensive Tackle"

I like Oghobaase a lot. I do believe his stock has dropped because from what I saw on film, he got pushed back a lot in the run game. I think he's a 3rd to 5th rounder.

I haven't seen him this year to know how much he should fall, but at the past three years I thought he's done a wonderful job at Duke, I felt that once he got to the combine he could become a borderline first rounder last year and before this draft, he's got near prototype physical tools with his length, great frame and natural athleticism and burst, very good intelligence and has made an impact both pushing the pocket to make plays while holding the line in the run game.