PDA

View Full Version : 2010 vs. 2004

CC.SD
05-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Just looking down the line, I think the gauntlet must be thrown. 2004 was obviously the best overall class we've seen in quite some time and normally I'm the last to argue against it, but strictly from a prospect standpoint: does 2010 stand a chance?

It's got QBs: Bradford, McCoy and Tebow will all get their shot, unless Tebow doesn't. But he will. Sneed also.

It's got elite tackles in Okung and Bulaga.

Carlos Dunlap could be the first overall pick and deserve it.

Ungodly safeties: Berry and Mays.

Jermaine Gresham is some kind of demon and could possibly give KW2 a run for his money on a prospect.

Murray, Best, McKnight, the kid out of Georgia Tech (Dwyer? Has slipped out of my head atm) are playmakers at RB.

Dez Bryant, Damian Williams are at least two first round wideouts.

Plus aces at the skill positions, some very solid LB prospects and more blue chip DEs.

Hm what am I forgetting, oh yah: Probably the greatest group of DTs ever, both in overall talent and depth at the position. http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33756

I know 2004 is legendary but I think 2010 means business.

fenikz
05-13-2009, 01:45 AM
2012 looks better

Julio Jones, AJ Green, Marcus Forston, Sean Spence, Will Hill, Travis Lewis, Terrelle Pryor, Caleb King, Jacquizz Rodgers, Robert Griffin, Chris Galippo, Trinton Sturdivant

JFLO
05-13-2009, 07:13 AM
2012 looks better

Julio Jones, AJ Green, Marcus Forston, Sean Spence, Will Hill, Travis Lewis, Terrelle Pryor, Caleb King, Jacquizz Rodgers, Robert Griffin, Chris Galippo, Trinton Sturdivant

I'm probably going to agree with that come 2012. Jones and Green were two of the best freshman receivers I've seen since Calvin Johnson. It will be interesting to see how they do without Stafford and JP Wilson.

Also, Forstton is going to be a Top 10 pick, he was unstoppable last year.

It's hard to compare because I don't remember a "preview" type perspective of the 2004 class (I was 13 or 14 then).

However, if I'm going to "Draft Day" talents of 2004, with what I think will be "Draft Day" talents of 2010, I would probably pick 2010. I think there is more depth at all positions (maybe besides wide receiver).

From a "Preview" perspective, I think this draft is loaded with potential Pro-Bowlers.

AntoinCD
05-13-2009, 07:32 AM
2004 was an immense year and for me what really made it complete was the qb class. Manning, Rivers and Big Ben completely wipe the floor with Bradford, Snead and McCoy. Although if a team is in need of defensive line help then this is the year to help themselves.

BuddyCHRIST
05-13-2009, 11:02 AM
2004 and its not even close, I don't really like 2010 that much. I probably liked 2006 more as prospects than 2004 though, though 2004 has definitely proved to be the best since so far.

Most classes end up getting compared on the QB's they produce and 2004 might be the best ever when its all said and done.

BeerBaron
05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
2010 is going to be a monster year for the d-line at any rate.

I think the 2004 QBs look better though.....you've got Bradford and McCoy coming out of the defense-optional big 12 and spread schemes, Tebow who.....well who knows what he's going to be in the end....and Snead who looks good but I'd take any of the top 3 2004 guys over him right now.

Sniper
05-13-2009, 11:33 AM
you've got Bradford coming out

Not necessarily.

Sniper
05-13-2009, 11:33 AM
2012 looks better

Mike Martin FTW!

eaglesalltheway
05-13-2009, 11:41 AM
2004 was an immense year and for me what really made it complete was the qb class. Manning, Rivers and Big Ben completely wipe the floor with Bradford, Snead and McCoy. Although if a team is in need of defensive line help then this is the year to help themselves.

2004 and its not even close, I don't really like 2010 that much. I probably liked 2006 more as prospects than 2004 though, though 2004 has definitely proved to be the best since so far.

Most classes end up getting compared on the QB's they produce and 2004 might be the best ever when its all said and done.

2010 is going to be a monster year for the d-line at any rate.

I think the 2004 QBs look better though.....you've got Bradford and McCoy coming out of the defense-optional big 12 and spread schemes, Tebow who.....well who knows what he's going to be in the end....and Snead who looks good but I'd take any of the top 3 2004 guys over him right now.

These pretty much sum up my feelings, the QBs are the ones most remembered from each class, and that draft has the best group of QBs in recent memory. I'm not a big fan of Bradford, McCoy, or Tebow. I like Snead, but he is still somewhat an unknown as to whether or not he progresses as a lot of us expect. This class has some good OTs, but I'd take this year and last year over 2010 in terms of OTs. It'll be tough for any year to have the Centers that 2009 had, and it'll be tough for any class to have a year as bad as this one's Guard class was. I like the WR class, with a bunch of guys with insane talent and could be great NFL WRs. Dez Bryant and Arrelious Benn are my two favorites right now at the position, and Damian Williams is a prospect I like. TE has an elite pass catcher in Jermaine Gresham, and more depth behind him, with one or two other TEs that have first round potential. The RB class looks very good, I don't like any in terms of an Adrian Peterson type prospect, but there are 5 or 6 very, very good RB prospects who can be very productive NFL players.

Next year's DT class is shaping up to be the best in recent memory, its a shame the Eagles don't need a DT, because if we did, I'd be all over a bunch of the prospects next year. DE, with the exception of Carlos Dunlap, looks average IMO, but there are a few DEs that I like, Brandon Graham being one of them. I like the ILBs next year, Spikes and McClain are two I really like, and the depth behind them with guys like Sean Lee is good as well. As far as OLBs go, its hard to tell right now for me, but there is a ton of talent there, its just hard to see how a lot of it will progress this season. The CB class looks average at best to me right now, at least from my perspective. And Safety has two elite prospects, with possibly the most talent and potential out of the top two prospects out of the Safety positions in memory. (I think Landry and Nelson was close, depends on opinion)

Overall I think 2010 in at least an above average class, if not a great one, but with (IMO) lack of elite prospects at QB, and not exactly the best draft class for CBs, which also are a position that less knowledgeable fans follow, the class as a whole may not be seen as good as 2004, but at some of the gruntwork positions, especially along the trenches, there are a bunch of very good prospects next year.

eaglesalltheway
05-13-2009, 11:42 AM
2012 looks better

Keep in mind that the players know all the talent in that year, so many of them will make the decision to come out early in 2011. So the talent will be split more evenly over 2011 and 2012.

San Diego Chicken
05-13-2009, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't count on 2010 living up to 2004. I'm not sure it will live up to 2007 - look at how many elite players are already in the league from that draft. Johnson, Peterson, Willis, Thomas, Revis. Way too early to make any determinations. Some of the guys we think are locks to go in the top 10 won't even be first rounders come this time next year.

Malaka
05-13-2009, 06:30 PM
2012... Sean Spence... I am already hard...

Back on topic... we have yet to see the NCAA season play out, I cannot judge yet, last year around this time Rey Maualuga, James Laurinaitis, and Michael Johnson were all considered top 10 picks, Rey Rey, and Laurinatis fell to round 2 and MJ to round 3, we have no idea about anything just yet, so I am going to vote 04.

Matthew Jones
05-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Just as prospects I think I'd go with 2004 just until we see what 2010 does.

The Legend
05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
You can get top 5 defensive tackle talent in the 2nd round next year its going to be crazy. We could see 7-8 go in the 1st round.

eaglesalltheway
05-13-2009, 06:45 PM
2010 has the potential to go down as one of the best DT classes of all time, I truly believe that.

WMD
05-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Can't wait for the 2010 Draft..

eaglesalltheway
05-13-2009, 06:59 PM

You and I both, you and I both...

DT is my favorite postion, I played it throughout my playing days, and seeing all these monsters coming up just gets me so pumped up!

rockio42
05-13-2009, 07:06 PM

after this draft...I don't know who doesn't want to jump ahead a year...

RealityCheck
05-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Even if Bradford stays, we'll still have 3 1st rounders at QB in Snead, McCoy and... The one we call Tim Tebow.

RB? Blount and Spiller, maybe Best, Dwyer and Royster.

Arrelious Benn is a freak. Gilyard, Bryant and LaFell are also prime prospects.

Jermaine Gresham is on the level of KWII and Vernon Davis.

Okung, Bulaga, Trent Williams and Ciron Black.

Defensive ends? Sick class. Dunlap, Hardy, Selvie to name a few.

DT: Suh, Cody, McCoy, Granger, Oghobaase, Austin...

LB: Kindle, Herzlich, Spikes, Weatherspoon...

Lindley and Haden are top cornerbacks.

The only position that sucks is Safety. Mays and Berry are the worst guys ever. [/sarcasm]

and...

Brett Swanson is a nice kicker :D

Malaka
05-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Even if Bradford stays, we'll still have 3 1st rounders at QB in Snead, McCoy and... The one we call Tim Tebow.

Tebow and McCoy will not be first rounders... Snead... Yes he will be.

etk
05-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Also, Forston is going to be a Top 10 pick, he was unstoppable last year.

Russell Wilson made him look like a fool last year, and he's not even starting ATM.

He had his good moments and bad moments, but he was hardly unstoppable.

He's stronger and more athletic this year.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Until we know who's actually in the class, I have no freaking idea.

Cicero
05-13-2009, 07:48 PM

x2 on this. I laugh at any team who spends a first round pick on either of those two.

RealityCheck
05-13-2009, 07:49 PM

No. If Tebow goes #1 overall, it's a steal. He should go #0 overall.

etk
05-13-2009, 07:50 PM
x2 on this. I laugh at any team who spends a first round pick on either of those two.

I laughed when I saw Pete Prisco (of all people) predict Jevan Snead will go #1 overall. He's gonna look like a genius next year.

05-13-2009, 07:52 PM
I kinda just always like to look ahead. It is what we do here, right? Anyways, I voted 2010, even though we obviously have little idea as to who will actually declare. It is fun to talk about.

JRTPlaya21
05-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I will go with 2004 because they have actually played a down of pro football.

CC.SD
05-13-2009, 08:35 PM
I will go with 2004 because they have actually played a down of pro football.

The first post is plastered with the phrase "as prospects." Excellent thinking though, I can't argue with that point.

JRTPlaya21
05-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Well then, "as prospects I will still take 2004".

Solomon
05-14-2009, 12:19 AM
2012 looks better

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not but I'm gonna have to disagree with that at least for now.

Travis Lewis is eligible for 2010 I don't know if he'd stay around two extra years for 2012, likewise a few of those guys are gonna consider coming out in 2011 so it's hard to say if even half of those guys will be available in 2012. Spence and Rodgers do not look like top NFL prospects, Spence is way too small and Rodgers is both small and doesn't have great speed. And Galippo and King have done nothing to be considered top prospects at this point.

Mr. Hero
05-14-2009, 12:19 AM
No. If Tebow goes #1 overall, it's a steal. He should go #0 overall.

Tim Tebow is a robot sent back from the future to save humanity, true story.

Vikes99ej
05-14-2009, 12:45 AM
No no no no. Every year I hear the same ******* argument. Ugh. Every prospect looks like a god right now.

Michigan
05-14-2009, 05:36 AM
I'd take the 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, and maybe the 2000 class over 2010 "as prospects".

Wavy77
05-14-2009, 06:41 AM
I don't really watch a lot of college football, but why couldn't Colt McCoy be a 1st rounder? Everything I've heard and seen seems very impressive.

Malaka
05-14-2009, 07:54 AM
I don't really watch a lot of college football, but why couldn't Colt McCoy be a 1st rounder? Everything I've heard and seen seems very impressive.

I have explained this 1000 times...

Not great height for a QB
Weird QB throwing motion
Not the strongest arm, though its decent.
Plays in a system offense.
Played against Big 12 defenses.

cdub11
05-14-2009, 08:37 AM
2004 easily

eaglesalltheway
05-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Make that x3, unless either of them show something else that is totally unexpected.

Wavy77
05-15-2009, 09:02 AM
I have explained this 1000 times...

Not great height for a QB
Weird QB throwing motion
Not the strongest arm, though its decent.
Plays in a system offense.
Played against Big 12 defenses.

Not great height??

He's 6-3. Last time I checked that's considered pretty decent QB height.

jsa230
05-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Tim Tebow is a robot sent back from the future to save humanity, true story.
swharzanegger>tebow

CashmoneyDrew
05-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Not great height??

He's 6-3. Last time I checked that's considered pretty decent QB height.

He's listed at 6'3. I'd be willing to bet he doesn't measure in at over 6'1 and a half.