PDA

View Full Version : Rams sign Randy McMichael?

slightlyaraiderfan
03-08-2007, 01:10 PM
According to roto:

Rams agreed to terms with TE Randy McMichael on an undisclosed contract.

NGSeiler
03-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Posted this in the thread in the NFL forum, but I'll repeat it here:

I have mixed feelings about this signing. On one hand, the Rams are adding a talented player at a position that Scott Linehan has a history of using quite a bit in previous jobs as an offensive coordinator. McMichael should start over Klopfenstein but I anticipate a continued use of two tight end sets. On the other hand, the timing of this is strange. Dominique Byrd just recently had another run in with the law, and it's not as if the Rams are making a statement about not tolerating off the field issues by signing McMichael since he doesn't exactly have a squeaky clean record himself. It's a three year deal though, so it's not like the Rams are married to Randy long-term if he can't behave himself.

holt_bruce81
03-08-2007, 03:15 PM
the rams also signed Todd Johnson SS from the bears which is a great pickup, he is a great tackler and a great special teams player.......could even start over Chavous at SS.

NGSeiler
03-08-2007, 04:09 PM
could even start over Chavous at SS.

Um, I wouldn't go that far.

holt_bruce81
03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Um, I wouldn't go that far.

um, why not?......chavous was nothing special and johnson could compete with him for the starting job.

edge_V
03-08-2007, 05:16 PM
because todd johnson isn't that good. didn't i already tell you that in some other forum?

NGSeiler
03-08-2007, 05:20 PM
um, why not?......chavous was nothing special and johnson could compete with him for the starting job.

Chavous was nothing special? He wasn't a huge playmaker but I thought he played consistently well and certainly didn't do anything to suggest his job isn't secure for 2007. I don't see what Johnson, whom I view as a good back-up but at this point a questionable starter, has done to warrant consideration to replace him.

Also, from Wagoner's write-up of the signing...

While any offensive needs appear to have been addressed (with the exception of more help at running back), the Rams are likely to turn their attention to defense in the coming days and weeks.

That became clear with the other move the Rams made Thursday when they signed Johnson to a four-year deal. Johnson comes to the Rams from Chicago, where he served as a backup safety and special teams dynamo for the past three seasons.

For his career, Johnson has 142 tackles, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. His main area of expertise comes in special teams coverage. He started 10 games at free safety in 2004 because of an injury to Mike Brown. He has 26 special teams tackles in three seasons, third best on the Bears.

Johnson should fit in as the Ramsí third safety behind starters Corey Chavous and Oshiomogho Atogwe and step in immediately on special teams.

The Rams need to improve on special teams and decided not to tender Dwaine Carpenter, so adding someone like Johnson is a very good move. Doesn't mean he's going to be working himself into Chavous' job though.

holt_bruce81
03-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Chavous was nothing special? He wasn't a huge playmaker but I thought he played consistently well and certainly didn't do anything to suggest his job isn't secure for 2007. I don't see what Johnson, whom I view as a good back-up but at this point a questionable starter, has done to warrant consideration to replace him.

Also, from Wagoner's write-up of the signing...

The Rams need to improve on special teams and decided not to tender Dwaine Carpenter, so adding someone like Johnson is a very good move. Doesn't mean he's going to be working himself into Chavous' job though.

i didnt say that, i said he would CHALLENGE, Chavous for the starting job

JoeMontainya
03-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Good signing, I think with a consistent QB/Offense, like the Rams have he will return to the bigger numbers he has had in the past.

diabsoule
03-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Rams also signed S Todd Johnson, which I think is a very good signing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2792133

NGSeiler
03-08-2007, 07:14 PM
i didnt say that, i said he would CHALLENGE, Chavous for the starting job

Your original post: "could even start over Chavous at SS." :confused:

KCJ58
03-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Dumb move we have Klopfenstein and Byrd there the future for this team not McMichael

RAMBEAST
03-08-2007, 08:33 PM
both signings are very good

McMichael put up very good numbers with very average QB's throwing to him imagine what he will do with Bulger throwing to him...............and Johnson will be very good for special teams and depth but he will not be starting anything unless Chavous gets hurt ;)

holt_bruce81
03-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Your original post: "could even start over Chavous at SS." :confused:

yes COULD not WOULD

NGSeiler
03-08-2007, 08:49 PM
yes COULD not WOULD

Your original post said nothing of a challenge. You simply said Johnson could start over Chavous. I disagreed, and I don't believe you've provided much evidence to support why you think there should be a competition there. But if you want to argue about semantics, we can do that.

HawkeyeFan
03-08-2007, 09:03 PM
yes COULD not WOULD
Don't argue back, trust me. Accept defeat right now because you'll never beat him, believe me!

holt_bruce81
03-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Your original post said nothing of a challenge. You simply said Johnson could start over Chavous. I disagreed, and I don't believe you've provided much evidence to support why you think there should be a competition there. But if you want to argue about semantics, we can do that.

yes i know my original post said Johnson COULD start over Chavous, Johnson started 6 games for the bears, is a great tackler and did a decent job starting for them when Mike Brown went down with his injury......so yes, he COULD start over Chavous.......not WOULD or WILL but he COULD!!!!!!!!!!!!..........

key word in that paragraph is COULD!!!!!!!!!

freebirdsrams02
03-08-2007, 11:08 PM
I like both signings. Its good to see the Rams spend money on the defense. I think McMichael will fit in well with the offense. He is a good blocker and can make big plays down the field.

I just saw Grant Winstrom was released from the Seahawks. Anyone think the Rams should go get him for cheap money so he can play his last few years with the Rams. I think he still has a little left in him.

KCJ58
03-08-2007, 11:11 PM
I just saw Grant Winstrom was released from the Seahawks. Anyone think the Rams should go get him for cheap money so he can play his last few years with the Rams. I think he still has a little left in him.

they just got Kerney and we need a DE it should be a good fit

NGSeiler
03-08-2007, 11:51 PM

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Wistrom in horns again, assuming the price is right.

Tom_23
03-09-2007, 12:21 AM
does this spell the end for byrd, i was pretty excited about him when we drafted him