PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Progress

jkpigskin
05-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Have the ravens gone forward or backward this offseason? I want to see the opinions of you guys to see.

QB - Positive
The ravens have put full trust into Joe Flacco that he can be the leader of this franchise. With one year under his belt, I have no doubt that the composed and mature Joe Flacco will put up better numbers. Opening up the playbook will only help him as he has a huge arm and good accuracy. But I like our depth this season compared to last. I expect both John Beck and Troy Smith to make our roster. John Beck is an improvement over Todd Bouman and Troy Smith will continue to contribute in the Suggs Package. Despite the fact that defenses have has an entire years worth of tape on Flacco, I see him taking the next step this season

RB - Neutral
Not too many changes here besides the loss of Lorenzo Neal. But the progression of Ray Rice and the renewed determination of Willis McGahee will be enough to offset that. LeRon McClain will continue to get his chance to carry the rock but i expect him to become a solid blocker as well. There are few FBs today who can both be an elite blocker and an explosive runner.

WR/TE - Neutral
This is probably the most troubling part of our offseason. We failed to pickup any new weapons for Joe Flacco. Anquan Boldin talks have been in our heads the entire offseason but it never happened. We added LJ Smith to bolster our production off of our TEs but he has yet to show that he can be consistent enough to be a big contributer. However, I do not see the lack of additions to our WRs as a problem if there is progression in Mark Clayon and Demetrius Williams. I am a huge fan of Derrick Mason and believe he has been underappreciated most of his career but the fact that he is 35 raises some flags. It looks like we will be adding the 6-3 Kelly Washington but overall, there has not been much a change here.

OL - Positive
I initially put our progression as negative but when I thought about it more, I see our additions as positive. We lost Jason Brown but we got a just as able, but cheaper replacement in Matt Birk. He is an intelligent player who can lead the OL and tutor his eventual replacement. We drafted arguable the most talented OT in the entire draft in Michael Oher. Even if he does not start in the beginning of the season, I see him providing depth at both OT spots and eventually be the starter by the end of the year. Another year of experience will boost Ben Grubbs and Jared Gaither into the elite status' in their respective positions.

DL - Negative
We get Kelly Gregg back but Justin Bannan shows he can provide great depth. I see Trevor Pryce as a liability now as he is aging and no longer the durable player we need. We drafted Paul Kruger but it looks like he will be playing LB in our defense. We lost Marques Douglass who provided good depth for us. All in all, we need to find our replacement to Trevor Pryce very soon.

LB - Neutral
The loss of Bart Scott is a huge negative, but the additions that have been made after that, has given this corp a neutral grade. I strongly believe Tavares Gooden is a star in waiting, plus I love the players we added in Paul Kruger and Jason Phillips. Both are blue-collared players who can provide depth at the LB position. If we can lock up Terrell Suggs long term, this grade will become Plus.

Secondary - Neutral (CB- Positive, S - Negative
Cutting ties with our starting duo of last year and bringing in Domonique Foxworth gives us one of the fastest corner duos in the NFL. Also we brought back Samari Rolle who i think will play extremely well if he plays less and does not take a beating on his body. The addition of Ladarius Webb brings excitement because of his athletic ability. Chris Carr is another addition who will pay dividends both as a nickle or dime, but also as a returner.
I loved Jim Leonhard. His style of play and the fact that he was always around the ball. I believe he was better than Dawan Landry (def. in the pass defense department).

K/P - Negative
How do you replace your all time leading scorer and a person you have trusted for your entire existance? Matt Stover will be missed and I do not understand why we didnt even invite him back. Sam Koch will make the ProBowl team because he is the best punter in the league.

Return Game - Positive
Yamon Figurs has the speed and that is about it. I believe Chris Carr will win the job and will definitely be an upgrade.

Overall, I believe we made slight improvements, but what will make or break our year is the production of our passing game

thenewfeature06
05-13-2009, 02:35 PM
I couldn't agree more with you on most of your insight, but i don't understand why Mcgahee has a renewed determination, its a 50/50 to me on how he will do this season and the ravens had plenty of depth at rb in the draft which they should have adressed, and i do think dawan will play solid or maybe exceed his goals during the season but its hard to tell when coming off of an injury

coordinator0
05-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Kruger is going to play on the DL in our defense. VanDeSteeg filled in for Suggs while Kruger played on the line in the mini-camp if that means anything.

Ravens1991
05-13-2009, 03:27 PM
yea Kruger will replace Pryce, I dont see how Dline is a negative. I say a positive for Dline. Gregg has consistently been a extremly underrated DT he is just a beast.

Also I say Neutral for S, yes we lose Leonard but Landry started over Leonard and Landry is back.

jkpigskin
05-13-2009, 03:32 PM
yea Kruger will replace Pryce, I dont see how Dline is a negative. I say a positive for Dline. Gregg has consistently been a extremly underrated DT he is just a beast.

Also I say Neutral for S, yes we lose Leonard but Landry started over Leonard and Landry is back.

I put our progress from last year on our DLine as negative b/c I didnt see any improvement this year, but if Kruger is playing Dline as a future replacement of Pryce than it may become a positive in the future.

I just said negative for Safety b/c i believe Leonhard is a better player than Landry

Ravens1991
05-13-2009, 03:36 PM
I see about Landry.

But getting Greg back is a improvement of last year IMO

coordinator0
05-13-2009, 04:17 PM
The only thing that I see Leonhard is better at than Landry is his ability to play zone coverage. I'd easily give Landry the edge in man coverage as well as run support, he was even said to be becoming a great leader pre-injury last year. Let's not forget he's also a pretty good ball-hawk, and the loss of Leonhards ability to return kicks and punts was nullified and improved by other guys we've brought in. I would take Landry over Leonhard 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

dcarey20
05-13-2009, 05:00 PM
looks pretty good

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-13-2009, 09:51 PM
You guys might think I'm crazy but I really can't see how any position was a negative. This whole offseason the coaches and staff have stressed the fact that we had gotten better in all aspects of the team, and I'm am fully buying into that. We didn't do anything to hurt our team despite losing Scott and Brown so I fully expect us to be a very competive team this year.

jkpigskin
05-13-2009, 11:00 PM
You guys might think I'm crazy but I really can't see how any position was a negative. This whole offseason the coaches and staff have stressed the fact that we had gotten better in all aspects of the team, and I'm am fully buying into that. We didn't do anything to hurt our team despite losing Scott and Brown so I fully expect us to be a very competive team this year.

no doubt and i believe as a whole, we improved as a team. I have no doubt in my mind that we will be competitive this year. The only reason I put the negative sign on the Dline is that i saw no upgrade(kruger maybe.. i had him at LB), and that Trevor Pryce was aging and we didnt find anybody to succeed or even surpass him on the depth chart.

America
05-14-2009, 02:36 AM
If you want a positive, at least Gregg is coming back. That's more depth. And we resigned McKinney so at least there's depth on the line. Bannan is a legit starter. Kruger will have to develop, but I don't think we're any worse off than last year really.

ccB
05-14-2009, 09:12 AM
I think that without a doubt we went forward this off season.

In reference to the DL, I think having a healthy Kelly Gregg back will mean a lot to our team. This allows us to rotated Bannan in and out of the defense allowing us to keep our DL fresh over the course of an entire game. Add that to the fact that we just drafted Paul Kruger who may not be an immediate impact, and is probably more of a long term upgrade, but at the very least he will come in and use that unstoppable motor to make some plays.

Also I don't think K will end up being THAT big of a deal, I mean I loved Stover, how could you be a Ravens fan and not? But his time has came and went and it's time to develop a new kicker. We have two guys will some nice potential who will battle it out in camp and hopefully take hold of the position for 10+ years.

I think our biggest upgrade has been our defensive backs. Fans of other teams may see we lost C-Mac and think we failed in someway but adding Foxworth, Carr, and Webb while retaining Rolle is going to give us great depth at CB, depth in which we didn't have last year. I was a big Jim Leonhard fan as well but I understand the move, with Dawan coming back we are better off investing the money we would have had to pay Jimmy elsewhere. It's also possible that we could see Webb step in at FS with Reed moving back to SS if Landry for some reason becomes a liability, it's doubtful, but possible.

I think we flew under the radar this offseason with a solid, ye not very flashy off season.

coordinator0
05-14-2009, 09:33 AM
I think it's more likely that Zbikowski steps into the SS spot if anything happens to Landry.

ccB
05-14-2009, 09:42 AM
I think it's more likely that Zbikowski steps into the SS spot if anything happens to Landry.

Zibi's coverage skills still worry me, if we think Landry is poor in coverage we will be hating Zibi back there. I agree it is a more likely scenario but I was just throwing it out there that Webb could potentially play FS and Reed is no stranger to SS.

coordinator0
05-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Zibi's coverage skills still worry me, if we think Landry is poor in coverage we will be hating Zibi back there. I agree it is a more likely scenario but I was just throwing it out there that Webb could potentially play FS and Reed is no stranger to SS.

I really don't think Landry is bad in coverage though, at least man coverage. At least he's able to cover the TE and enforce the middle of the field.

ccB
05-14-2009, 10:55 AM
I really don't think Landry is bad in coverage though, at least man coverage. At least he's able to cover the TE and enforce the middle of the field.
I tend to agree, in fact his coverage skills may be a little bit underrated. He is never going to be looked at as an above average coverage guy, but at the same time I think his coverage skills are at the very least average for an NFL SS. I've seen a lot of people who ***** and moan about Landry's cover skills, hell a few people were calling for Zbi to be the starter over Landry last year before Zbi even played a game!

Ravens1991
05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
God I love Zbi, granted he cant cover but he is a BADASS!!!! When he gets his shot Hines Ward crap will stop. Hines ward will be getting messed up!!!!

bam bam
05-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Guys

Landry was playing lights out before his injury last year. He was leaner and faster and was hitting people. I think he comes back and no one misses Leonhard one bit.