PDA

View Full Version : Herzlich has bone cancer

SchizophrenicBatman
05-14-2009, 01:13 PM
terrible news

http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051409aaa.html

ncst8fan83
05-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Just saw this too...horrible news...i wish the best for the young man during his battle.

lordquas
05-14-2009, 01:14 PM
whaaaaaaat.
oh man thats horrible.
if he can still play thatd be great because hes an awesome talent.

bored of education
05-14-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't know how bad this is, but cancer sucks nonetheless. I really hope he gets through this. best of luck to him

Don Vito
05-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Just posted this in college football, my bad. This is absolutely terrible. Herzlich is one of my favorite players and is a tough SOB I hope he gets healthy first and foremost, and if he could get back on the field after that would be great but I really hope he just gets healthy.

princefielder28
05-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Very sad news...hope he gets healthy soon

draftguru151
05-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Absolutely awful. Hopefully he can recover.

eaglesalltheway
05-14-2009, 01:21 PM
This truly is heartbreaking, when you look at it just from a person to person point of view, forgetting about football. He had high hopes for this season, as did many of us on here. He seems like a great person, not only a great football player, and my best wishes go out to him and his family. Whatever course of action he takes, I hope it goes as easily and successfully as possible. Hopefully he overcomes this and gets to live a healthy life, and if he (and all of us) are really lucky, we can have football's version of Lance Armstrong. But I don't want to get too far ahead of anything here, and for now, I hope he goes through treatment and doesn't have to deal with this ever again.

This is really wierd for me, I was thinking a few weeks ago that the NFL has been relatively lucky that none of the top prospects have ever had tragedies like this or serious pohysical problems found at the combine that prevents them from playing football. Well I guess that run is over, its unfortuante that it had to happen, especially to someone like Mark Herzlich though.

Good luck Mark, take care of your business and get better, and I hope his family stays strong throughout.

JFLO
05-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Best of hope and health for Mark and his family.

Get well soon!

Shane P. Hallam
05-14-2009, 01:25 PM
I wish him the best of luck, and if he gets treatment, I hope it improves his situation. My brother was diagnosed with cancer in his 20s as well, and definitely not as severe, but I know how it can be for a family.

He will require chemo, almost surely not play football again. The chances of living long with Ewing's sarcoma is rare. I do hope he overcomes it.

WMD
05-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Damn. I hope he can recover from this.

CJSchneider
05-14-2009, 01:28 PM
From wikipedia

Prognosis

Staging attempts to distinguish patients with localized from those with metastatic disease.[17] Most commonly, metastases occur in the chest, bone and/or bone marrow. Less common sites include the central nervous system and lymph nodes.

Five-year survival for localized disease is 70% to 80% when treated with chemotherapy.[18] Long term survival for metastatic disease can be less than 10% but some sources state it is 25-30%.

bored of education
05-14-2009, 01:29 PM
This is terrible. lets just hope he lives a long healthy life.

eaglesalltheway
05-14-2009, 01:33 PM
That's not exactly the best news CJ, ugh, this truly is a horrible day.

Don Vito
05-14-2009, 01:37 PM
This is terrible. Herzy is a great person not only a great football player, I hope he recovers and lives a healthy life.

BeerBaron
05-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Really terrible.....I hope all ends well.

CJSchneider
05-14-2009, 01:53 PM
That's not exactly the best news CJ, ugh, this truly is a horrible day.

Where as I am not a doctor, I am an optimist. Given his level of fitness, and the fact that he is in a position where his fitness is examined with high frequency, I would imagine that this was caught relatively early and this greatly increases his odds of recovering as well as the treatment options that will be presented.

eaglesalltheway
05-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Where as I am not a doctor, I am an optimist. Given his level of fitness, and the fact that he is in a position where his fitness is examined with high frequency, I would imagine that this was caught relatively early and this greatly increases his odds of recovering as well as the treatment options that will be presented.

The shape he is in will cerrtainly help him a lot, I am aware of that, and of course if it was caught early that helps, and I do try to be an optimist, but is says survival over a 5 year period is 70-80%... That doesn't bode well for any time frame after that. I just wish the best and as I said in my first post, I would love for him to have a recovery and lead a full life.

wicket
05-14-2009, 02:09 PM
This is truly a heartbreaker. Great kid and player.
All you can do is hope and pray to whatever god you feel right with for this kid to get okay.
eaglesalltheway, I'm gonna steal that sig bit from you as well.
Lets hope a few other guys follow out of respect for Mark.

CJSchneider
05-14-2009, 02:12 PM
This site also has similar info.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_What_is_Ewing_s_Sarcoma_.asp

Addict
05-14-2009, 02:23 PM
damn.... I hope he'll be ok.

JRTPlaya21
05-14-2009, 02:30 PM
that is horrible. can this day get any worse? already got hit by an old lady today.

awfullyquiet
05-14-2009, 02:34 PM
don't be snide.

i hope all the best for him, and the treatment for ewing's is pretty decent, but it looks like his career probably is over.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-14-2009, 02:43 PM
I hope for the best for Herzlich. Get well soon man.

Matthew Jones
05-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Just posted this in college football, my bad. This is absolutely terrible. Herzlich is one of my favorite players and is a tough SOB I hope he gets healthy first and foremost, and if he could get back on the field after that would be great but I really hope he just gets healthy.

I agree completely with this. Here's hoping for a quick recovery. I can't really comment further because my knowledge of bone cancer is limited at best.

Scott Wright
05-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Who has a doctor in the family to get more info. on Ewing's Sarcoma?

eaglesalltheway
05-14-2009, 02:56 PM

I have two aunts that are nurses, one is about to become a nurse practitioner. (basically a teacher) and I have another aunt who has a lot of work in the medical field. I'm gonna ask them about it whenever I can.

Shane P. Hallam
05-14-2009, 03:09 PM

I made a call to a family friend. The best case scenario is Chemo that would put anyone out of commission for four months, likely more. It is extremely rare for Ewing's Sarcoma to actually go away however and continuous treatment is almost always needed. The chances of presuming a football career at a college or professional level is very slim with this type of cancer due to the treatment and weakening to the body it does. The chances of survival has rose (I mentioned the wikipedia numbers, and he said those are likely a bit outdated or incorrect,) and most teenage men, when found early enough will live at least 5-10 more years, but likely will suffer an earlier death than most (Late 50s is usually the best one can hope for since as a person gets older, the disease spreading is more likely).

He also mentioned that the area of the body where it is located could determine a lot for the patient's well being and survival. He said it usually located in the pelvis, which would limit hip ability in the future.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
05-14-2009, 03:44 PM
^wow^ what a shame.

eaglesalltheway
05-14-2009, 03:50 PM
I made a call to a family friend. The best case scenario is Chemo that would put anyone out of commission for four months, likely more. It is extremely rare for Ewing's Sarcoma to actually go away however and continuous treatment is almost always needed. The chances of presuming a football career at a college or professional level is very slim with this type of cancer due to the treatment and weakening to the body it does. The chances of survival has rose (I mentioned the wikipedia numbers, and he said those are likely a bit outdated or incorrect,) and most teenage men, when found early enough will live at least 5-10 more years, but likely will suffer an earlier death than most (Late 50s is usually the best one can hope for since as a person gets older, the disease spreading is more likely).

He also mentioned that the area of the body where it is located could determine a lot for the patient's well being and survival. He said it usually located in the pelvis, which would limit hip ability in the future.

That truly is a shame, I'll hold out hope for him, but whatever happens, i hope he is in the best possible scenario you listed there, if he can't come back...

This truly is a tragedy.

BaLLiN
05-14-2009, 03:59 PM
why god? why?

Biscuit
05-14-2009, 04:00 PM
God Bless him, his entire family and everyone who battles this terrible disease.

85ers
05-14-2009, 04:05 PM
One of my very good friends was diagnosed with Ewings when he was 22 and lost his battle with it at age 27 this past fall. He was very athletic and came from a wealthy family and they tried every treatment and had the best doctors in the world. He beat the cancer into remission 3 times, which is extraordinary when looking at the statistics for chance of life after beating it each time.

My heart and prayers go out to Herzlich and all of his family and friends.

Cicero
05-14-2009, 04:41 PM
That's really sad...Best wishes to him and his family.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Ewings is no joke. It's almost certain that a very promising football career has been cut short here. I wish Herzlich the best luck in recovery.

Yatta!
05-14-2009, 05:31 PM
This is terrible news. Best of luck to him and hopefully he beats it.

will99890
05-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Wow, just wow. One of my favorite prospects next year.

I've lost three close family members to cancer in the last six years so I've seen up close the toll it takes on someone's body. I couldn't care less if he ever played football again, I just hope his size, strength, and athleticism helps the chemo fight off the cancer and allows him to live a long prosperous life. Seemed like a great guy off the field from the few interviews I've seen and his character on the field can't be questioned. Hopefully he can help change those somewhat depressing survival statistics.

TitanHope
05-14-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm a Ewing's sarcoma survivor.

I was diagnosed with it in my left proximal tibia when I was eleven, and it was caught early. I received high dose chemotherapy over the course of roughly a year, with a gap inbetween when I had limb-sparing surgery to remove the tumor. I've been in remission for 8 years, and no new tumors have ever developed after my initial one.

It's impossible to project how he'll handle treatment. Chemo, especially the solid tumor treatment, is the worst thing you could put a body through, and it can do some nasty things to it. For example, it caused me to develop osteoperosis in my teens. If Herzlich develops osteoperosis, his body couldn't take the punishment of football. I had a friend who was an osteosarcoma patient, and she developed chemo-induced leukemia and died from it 3 days after finding out she had relapsed. So chemotherapy itself can kill you.

What separates solid tumors from leukemias is that leukemia treatment is longer (my friends were around 3 years) and the chemo is not as severe because of that. So it doesn't wreak as much havoc as the 8-10 months of chemo does. That's why some athletes can recover from leukemia and play again. Also, seeing as Herzlich's tumor is in his leg, he'll have multiple surgeries on it. The biggest one, called limb-sparing, will be in an effort to save the leg so he won't have to have it amputated. If he doesn't have to have it amputated, he'll either have bone-graft if it's in his lower leg or the "Pheonix" if it's in the knee. Unsure about the thigh, but I think a bone-graft would be an option then too. So his leg will be compromised because of that, if he'll even be able to keep it at all.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't know what his prognosis is, but he likely won't be able to play football ever again.

eaglesalltheway
05-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Well all I've heard and read seems to indicate he won't play again. If that is the case, I wish him the best of luck and hope he has his recovery be full and he doesn't have any other problems.

Donno
05-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Wow this is terrible, I really hope he gets better.

Menardo75
05-14-2009, 06:11 PM
All prayers with Mark I hope he can get through this.

Borat
05-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Wow. This is just awful. He was one of my favorite prospects for 2010. Hope he can find a way to beat this thing.

Malaka
05-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Wow this is really horrible I loved Mark Herzlich as a football player, and it is sad that he will most likely never play another down of football, he seemed like a great guy, and it is such a same that a talent like his will never be seen in on the football field. I really feel how is family feels and it is tough, my grandmother died of leukemia, my dad is in IC with colon cancer, and my ex-girlfriend has cervical cancer (shes the one person that we know will be perfectly fine after surgery).

Mark Herzlich is in my prayers.

Babylon
05-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Total shame when something like this happens, Especially to a great player.

As much as we are reminded of life's frailties we keep it in focus for a short time and then go back to bitching about the cable bill. Get well Mark.

derza222
05-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Wow this is terrible. Forget football, I hope he manages to beat this and live a a long, healthy life.

RealityCheck
05-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Well, he would look great in a Pats jersey. :(

Smokey Joe
05-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Wow, awful news. Hopefully this was caught extremely early and he can make a full recovery. Odds are against him, but lets hope he can get through this. I'm not gonna doubt him for a second. I believe in 2010, he will be back on the football field.

Malaka
05-14-2009, 10:16 PM
I am wearing this sig in honor of Herzlich! I am praying for him... I really hope he can make a full recovery.

OneToughGame
05-14-2009, 10:24 PM
I really hope he comes out of this fine and is still able to play football. You can tell he loves the game and to not be able to play it for him would be terrible.

Even if this sounds bad there is some good that can come out of this.. Tons of College and NFL players will go through full body scans now to find out if they have ANYTHING that could be seriously wrong with them (even though lots of them do it now more will do it because of this) and if there is hopefully it's caught early.

Cicero
05-15-2009, 12:09 AM
I really don't think anyone should be making jokes about this. There is a large chance that he might lose his life, and an even higher one that his life will be shortened.

Don Vito
05-15-2009, 12:13 AM
This is absolutely terrible. Herzlich is not only a great football player but a great person by all accounts. He could've made some good NFL money probably, but he came back to school and was all about BC. I really wish him the best.

thebow305
05-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Wow, this is shocking news to say the least!

My best wishes and prayers go out to him and his family. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery or just a full recovery in general.

UKfan
05-15-2009, 09:53 AM
I haven't seen too much BC football, but he looked like a heck of a talent, as has already been mentioned hopefully him being in excellent physical shape may aid him in the upcoming months. Good luck Mark, terrible news for such a young man.

JLaw45
05-15-2009, 12:54 PM
This is extremely depressing news, though TitanHope's post gives me some hope that maybe, just maybe, herzlich can beat this. It is unfortunate that he'll never play again, but he could very well still lead a healthy life.

JRTPlaya21
05-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Here is a bit of good news.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2009/05/15/bc_linebacker_herzlich_is_diagnosed_with_cancer/

themaninblack
05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Just a terrible thing to hear. I wish him all the best.

Staubach12
05-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Wow... this is horrible. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Don Vito
05-15-2009, 03:22 PM
http://bceagles.cstv.com/chat/051409aaa.html

BC set up a board where you can leave messages for Herlich. He definitely has a lot of support.

Don Vito
05-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Here's Rece Davis' interview with Herzlich. Really well-spoken, class act.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/clip?id=4170293&categoryid=null

LookItsAlDavis
05-17-2009, 10:03 PM
2012 Comeback Player of the Year.