PDA

View Full Version : Joe Haden CB Florida

Thumper
05-16-2009, 01:45 AM
So as I continue to delve into the 2010 draft class and try and find some good players I am looking at the top 100 recruits from 2007 and I recognize his name so I decide to click on it.

*He is ranked by many as the top corner in this draft class and that is basically the extent of my knowledge.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2008-08/41977040.jpg

So I clicked on the link and I was SHOCKED.
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=46835&Sport=1

Now look at these numbers:
Ht: 5-foot-11
Wt: 189 lbs
Forty: 4.46 secs
Bench max: 345 pounds
Bench reps: 40
Squat max: 535 pounds
Vertical: 37 inches
Shuttle: 4.25 secs

:eek: :eek:

That is better than most offensive linemen! 40 reps is insane, coming out of highschool he was only 4 reps weaker than one of the NFL's strongest players in Broderick Bunkley! 40 REPS! I've never seen that from a corner. Then on top of that he ran a 4.4. It is likely that he has improved on those during his time at Florida. This kid might be the biggest workout warrior in this draft class. Thats right over Sergio Kindle and Taylor Mays.

So I went to look at his stats.
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2008&org=235&player=5

He had 3 interceptions, 87 tackles (61 solo and 26 ast.) along with 12 passes defended.
During his freshman year he had 0 interceptions, 63 tackles (43 solo and 20 ast.) along with 12 passes defended.

Impressive stats but we can say that stats aren't exactly the best measure of a corner back (Scrabble, Sheldon Brown) so I wanted to see how the #1's did against him. (keep in mind I'm taking guesses as to who was the #1 mostly so please correct me if I am wrong)

Week 1- Hawaii- Greg Salas (4 receptions- 33 yards- 1 TD)
Week 2- Miami- Aldarius Johnson (1 reception- 11 yards)
Week 3- Tennessee- Lucas Taylor (2 receptions- 24 yards)
Week 4- Ole Miss- Mike Wallace (1 reception- 3 yards)
Week 5- Arkansas- London Crawford (Lucas Miller Inj.) (3 recections- 40 yards)
Week 6- LSU- Demetrius Byrd (6 receptions- 73 yards)
Week 7- Kentucky- Gene McCaskill (2 receptions- 22 yards)(Just a rash of injuries)
Week 8- Georgia- Mohamed Massaquoi (5 receptions- 112 yards)
Week 9- Vanderbilt- George Smith (1 reception- 17 yards)
Week 10- South Carolina- Kenny McKinley (6 receptions- 37 yards)
Week 11- Citadel- Andre Roberts (5 receptions- 66 yards)
Week 12- Florida St.- Gregg Carr (2 receptions- 24 yards)
SEC Championship- Alabama- Julio Jones (5 receptions- 124 yards)
National Championship- Oklahoma- Juaquin Iglesias (5 receptions- 54 yards)

It looks like he might need to polish up a little bit because he was burned by some NFL talent, specifically Julio Jones (Who I love <3) and Mohamed Massaquoi. He did only give up one touchdown the entire season so that is good. Overall the Florida defense ranked twentieth overall in pass defense in the nation.

Video:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/Joe-Haden-Offense-Defense-Game-Highlights-9574(as a WR)
http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/Joe-Haden-Ft-Washingto-9531;_ylt=Am0YAv3rmkxARbGlqPXO2TlnUZR4(as a QB)
http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/Joe-Haden-Ft-Washingto-9533;_ylt=AsHhU_PNsBsgMSxx87J1pF3XUpR4(as a DB)

He seems like a great prospect (note the word prospect) who has a ton of ability and he did great considering he was starting for the National Champion Gators (sorry Utah) as a Sophomore and going against some of the best talent in college football. I am impressed with him.

BRAVEHEART
05-16-2009, 02:02 AM
(IMO) He's a product of a weak CB class.

Thumper
05-16-2009, 02:11 AM

Really? I think it is a decent class. You have Haden at the top, yeah he can get better but there is no other corner in this class that has the raw tools this guy has. Then there is Trevard Lindley who is a shutdown corner in the making, long arms, nice jump, good agility and can stick with his man. Alterraun Verner out of UCLA is good as well, he led the country in passes broken up and he is a good cover guy. I like Walter Thurmond III and I think he is better than Jaius Bryd from this years draft. Syd'Quan Thompson out of Cal is a playmaker in the mold of Asante Samuel.

Cicero
05-16-2009, 04:04 AM
If he plays like he did last season he's definitely a first round pick.

Michigan
05-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Really? I think it is a decent class. You have Haden at the top, yeah he can get better but there is no other corner in this class that has the raw tools this guy has.

Donovan Warren is just as athletic, except he's 6'1 190.

ClintPitts4Heisman
05-16-2009, 08:17 AM
"That is better than most offensive linemen! 40 reps is insane, coming out of highschool he was only 4 reps weaker than one of the NFL's strongest players in Broderick Bunkley! 40 REPS! I've never seen that from a corner. Then on top of that he ran a 4.4. It is likely that he has improved on those during his time at Florida. This kid might be the biggest workout warrior in this draft class. Thats right over Sergio Kindle and Taylor Mays."

Coming out of HS, prospects do reps of 185. Coming out of college players do 225. While that is an extremely great number and I'm sure he has improved on it, its not comparable to players coming out of college.

sbh15
05-16-2009, 08:33 AM
I <3 Joe Haden, but I agree with Bravehart. If he came out as a junior in most classes, he'd be a second rounder. He's got the talent to be lockdown, but he'll only be a first round lock kind of guy unless he stays this year. Keep in mind that last year was only his second year ever playing cornerback.

Cigaro
05-16-2009, 11:01 AM
He's overrated.

wicket
05-16-2009, 11:34 AM
he doesnt even come close to lindley imo. But then again I would have had lindley as the top corner if he came out this year.

LonghornsLegend
05-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Haden and Donovon Warren are to specimens at the Corner position I really like going into next year, but Haden has alot of potential and I've watched him for awhile...He needs to refine his technique but he has all the skills to play the position at the next level.

Watch out for Chykie Brown though at Texas, I have him pretty close to the other two if he comes out.

wicket
05-16-2009, 11:46 AM
if we are making this a corner thread, watch out for darrin walls(jep im a homer-seller here), he is quite far down everybodys radar now for some reason but he has everything you look for in a corner: size, speed, technique, physicality(sp?) and pretty good man-coverage ability already

keylime_5
05-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Haden has the makings of a top cover corner. He was almost perfect in the NC game against Oklahoma. I think he'll be the #1 corner drafted next year, but there's a long way to go before then.

JFLO
05-16-2009, 11:56 AM
My sleeper would be Brandon Brinkley out of Houston, very productive and has great combination of size and speed.

He could probably use some more polishing, but if he can refine his game a little bit, I think he could be a late second rounder come April.

Texas Homer
05-16-2009, 11:57 AM
He looks like a future 1st rounder.

eaglesalltheway
05-16-2009, 12:28 PM

I agree, i don't think next year's CB class is that impressive. Also thumper, coming out of HS, for bench reps, they usually do reps of 175, not 225, so that makes a big difference. IDK if that's the case here, but I'd bet that's why that number is so high.

eaglesalltheway
05-16-2009, 12:29 PM
"That is better than most offensive linemen! 40 reps is insane, coming out of highschool he was only 4 reps weaker than one of the NFL's strongest players in Broderick Bunkley! 40 REPS! I've never seen that from a corner. Then on top of that he ran a 4.4. It is likely that he has improved on those during his time at Florida. This kid might be the biggest workout warrior in this draft class. Thats right over Sergio Kindle and Taylor Mays."

Coming out of HS, prospects do reps of 185. Coming out of college players do 225. While that is an extremely great number and I'm sure he has improved on it, its not comparable to players coming out of college.

Hooray for me not scrolling down! Isn't it 175 though? I could've sworn it was 175.

Edit: probably makes more sense for 185.. have a plate and a 25 on each side, plus the bar...

Hines
05-16-2009, 12:31 PM
if we are making this a corner thread, watch out for darrin walls(jep im a homer-seller here), he is quite far down everybodys radar now for some reason but he has everything you look for in a corner: size, speed, technique, physicality(sp?) and pretty good man-coverage ability already

Walls is from Woody!!

Anyways, I would have him as my third corner behind Lindley and Warren. Good player, though.

I could see him being the second corner, to maybe the fifth. Syd'Quan Thompson from Cal is a good player that everyone should keep an eye on. Also, Walter Thurmond from Oregon.

LonghornsLegend
05-16-2009, 12:37 PM
All you have to do is look at his bench max at 385, he would be well over that if he was repping 225 40x.

superman
05-16-2009, 01:03 PM
if it's out of hs, it's probably 40 reps of 185, not 225.

plus you can just look at the max and see if he could do 40 reps of 225, he should be benching way more than mid 345 or w/e it said.

he's still strong for a cb though no doubt.

Race for the Heisman
05-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Even if it is 185 as others have mentioned (which it is, see link), the Haden family as a whole all seem to be workout warriors and the dad is a big believer in excellence by preparation rather than pure athletic ability, so it wouldn't surprise me if he blows up the combine anyway.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/16/AR2006061600077.html

The way Joe Haden Sr. looks at it, training for combines is like preparing for the SAT.

"I'm starting camps to really prepare kids for the combines," said the Friendly High assistant coach and father of two top prospects. "It's really amazing. It's not that it changes anything as far as their ability or their talent, but it changes their work ethic and their focus and their ability to be comfortable."

If you were taking the SAT, Haden reasons, you would do as much preparation as possible, wouldn't you?

So far, only about 40 players have signed up for the camps, which run weekly throughout the summer. But if Haden needs any advertising, he can point to his sons. Joe Haden, a rising senior who is Friendly's quarterback and safety, has narrowed his choices to seven colleges, all of which have offered scholarships: Florida, Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Tennessee, Michigan, Michigan State and Georgia. Josh Haden, a rising junior, already is on the radar for many top programs.

Among thousands of athletes, the two brothers recorded the highest index scores in testing this spring and summer at combines run by Nike. The SPARQ rating is based on a player's vertical jump, time in the 40-yard dash and shuttle run and how many times he can bench press 185 pounds. Believing this measure goes a long way toward determining whether colleges will offer a scholarship, Joe Haden Sr. -- a personal trainer -- had his sons start their training early so that they would score well.

"When I figured out the way they work it, if these guys learn the drills and get it down to clockwork, it's going to help them get scholarships," Haden Sr. said. "It's drill-specific training. When I started [Joe] and Josh out at 13 years out, they really started training for the combines."

JT Jag
05-16-2009, 01:48 PM
I haven't read this thread yet, but I just want you to know that they lift 185 pounds instead of 225 coming out of highschool.

I'm sure no one has already said this.

superman
05-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Even if it is 185 as others have mentioned (which it is, see link), the Haden family as a whole all seem to be workout warriors and the dad is a big believer in excellence by preparation rather than pure athletic ability, so it wouldn't surprise me if he blows up the combine anyway.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/16/AR2006061600077.html

smart strategy. just train for the combine for 4 years. more scouts may tab you as higher risk to bust, but it only takes one (see: oakland/dhb)

superman
05-16-2009, 01:58 PM
I haven't read this thread yet, but I just want you to know that they lift 185 pounds instead of 225 coming out of highschool.

I'm sure no one has already said this.

a few have

JT Jag
05-16-2009, 03:19 PM
a few haveForgot the <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags.

djp
05-16-2009, 03:22 PM
He's not even the best corner on his team. True sophomore Janoris Jenkins was on the top receivers most of the games last year.

wicket
05-16-2009, 03:31 PM
He's not even the best corner on his team. True sophomore Janoris Jenkins was on the top receivers most of the games last year.

but he is to short for the pros

djp
05-16-2009, 04:00 PM
but he is to short for the pros

That may be true, but the point was, Haden didn't guard the #1 receiver on most teams as that was reserved for Jenkins.

yourfavestoner
05-16-2009, 05:23 PM
That may be true, but the point was, Haden didn't guard the #1 receiver on most teams as that was reserved for Jenkins.

Not true. Florida doesn't flip flop their corners. Haden plays LCB, Jenkins plays RCB. This year, when they do to the nickle, Wondy Pierre-Louis is going to RCB and Jenkins is going to the nickle.

tEk
05-16-2009, 05:46 PM
he looks great on paper, some nice highlights but i wanna see how he performs this season against some more studs

Race for the Heisman
05-17-2009, 12:05 AM

He could be second best and still be a first rounder. Also, 'best corner' does not always correlate with 'best corner prospect.'

Mr. Hero
05-17-2009, 12:36 AM
He's overrated.

yes and no, he is the best corner in this class right now, but he's not a top half of the first round pick.

GhostDeini
05-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Janoris Jenkins was very impressive as a true freshman. I like his physicality, he can jam guys already. More int's down the road and he's future 1st round pick. Will Hill is another guy to keep an eye out for. He played some nickle as freshman just to keep him on the field but is really a good looking FS prospect. Gators are just loaded on defensive side of the ball when I think about it. Dunlap led SEC in sacks as sophmore with 7. Spikes is a beast, he has great instincts and his 6'3 to 6'4 240 to 260 frame is franchise MLB stuff, like Urlacher. Also remember this name, Earl Okine.

princefielder28
05-17-2009, 08:15 AM
My sleeper would be Brandon Brinkley out of Houston, very productive and has great combination of size and speed.

He could probably use some more polishing, but if he can refine his game a little bit, I think he could be a late second rounder come April.

Brinkley is my #5 senior CB right now, and I am very intrigued by his game as well. Late 2nd round would be a good spot for him.

TACKLE
05-17-2009, 12:32 PM
What are thoughts on Alterraun Verner from UCLA? He was the national leader last year in passes in PBU's with 18. He's listed at 5'11 185. He has good speed and anticipates routes very well. I think he's another guy people need to be aware of as a potential 2nd round CB.

zj1cgPTTcxk
eit1ZcphBtc

superman8456
05-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Ahmad Black is better imo

yourfavestoner
05-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Ahmad Black is better imo

Um....Ahmad Black is a safety.

RealityCheck
05-17-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm guessing 40 is a typo of 14.

SUP
06-27-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm guessing 40 is a typo of 14.

Could be. According to Jim Wendler's(popular Powerlifter/Strength guy) formula of weight x reps x 0.0333 + weight = est. max would give a max of 330. So who knows.

Jenkins is the better pure Corner for UF but Haden is the better Athlete and this will be his 3rd year playing Corner. He made a huge leap from his Fresh to Soph year. I think he is only going to get better.

Cigaro
06-27-2009, 07:32 PM
yes and no, he is the best corner in this class right now, but he's not a top half of the first round pick.

No, he's all overrated. Was burnt a few times last year. Isn't the top corner in this class, that's Trevard Lindley.

Shane P. Hallam
08-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Just found out that I am teaching with Joe Haden's Uncle (I am in his classroom, also a Social Studies teacher in my department). We had a nice conversation about Joe and his 4 brothers. Going to finish his degree in December so he has it before declaring.

Between me, him, two football coaches, and a teacher in our department with two Super Bowl rings, these kids are going to be footballed out!

ChildPlease
08-26-2009, 01:55 AM
Joe Haden reminds me of Antoine Winfield.

Maybe because the Gators and Vikings are my fav teams but just the way he plays the game reminds me a lot of Winfield. His quickness, toughness and football IQ being his best traits.

Shane P. Hallam
08-26-2009, 04:44 AM
It's not a bad comparison. He is a bit faster than Winfield ever was at OSU though, but I can see the comparison.

TACKLE
08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I'd like to hear more about Joe Haden. Maybe I could be informed about him and the other top CB's in the draft class in some sort of Draft Vlog. I wish there was someone out there who could do that (stares at JBond).

Shane P. Hallam
08-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Ha. Maybe this upcoming weekend. I have a few I want to do.

murdamal86
08-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Haden is still raw and has room for improvement when it comes to man to man defense. Of course since he's only been a CB for 2 years he has some redefining to do, but i think he can be a solid CB at the next level. I don't see him being a true shutdown don't throw to him ever CB, but a 2nd tier CB nevertheless. He could use another year but if UF goes on to win another NT this year, he's going to bolt. He like a Rashean Mathis (not comparing him skills wise to him) in where he'll give up a few catches because he normally keeps the WR in front of him but then he'll make step in and make an int a few possessions later.

No_
08-31-2009, 12:43 AM
I think he needs to stay for his senior year, but the potential is definitely there

UF's defensive backfield is loaded for years to come

murdamal86
01-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Not to anybody's surprise, Joe Haden has officially declared for the draft.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20100103/ARTICLES/100109921/1136?Title=Haden-declares-for-NFL-Draft

Babylon
01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Not to anybody's surprise, Joe Haden has officially declared for the draft.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20100103/ARTICLES/100109921/1136?Title=Haden-declares-for-NFL-Draft

Clearly 1st corner taken i would think.

RaiderNation
01-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Not doubt the top CB, top 10 talent in my book.

yourfavestoner
01-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Good for him. He really took his game to the next level this season, going from great athlete to great cover corner.

keylime_5
01-03-2010, 04:51 PM
IMO cleveland is the early favorite to pick him. incredibly early at that.

MattyFos
01-03-2010, 11:55 PM
What are thoughts on Alterraun Verner from UCLA? He was the national leader last year in passes in PBU's with 18. He's listed at 5'11 185. He has good speed and anticipates routes very well. I think he's another guy people need to be aware of as a potential 2nd round CB.

My opinion of his coverage in the first video-
He's playing a soft zone, Can he play man? Is he playing 8 yards off b/c he lacks speed? Is it b/c he doesn't have the strength to jam the receiver?

He had a good jump on the ball, but the QB should have recognized him playing off and got the ball in there as soon as the receiver sat in the zone. A better QB would have gotten the pass in and It's one broken tackle away from aTD

Dark Knight01
01-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Haden is the product of a weak class IMO.

I'm not buying any type of hype on him.

TACKLE
01-04-2010, 08:45 AM
My opinion of his coverage in the first video-
He's playing a soft zone, Can he play man? Is he playing 8 yards off b/c he lacks speed? Is it b/c he doesn't have the strength to jam the receiver?

He had a good jump on the ball, but the QB should have recognized him playing off and got the ball in there as soon as the receiver sat in the zone. A better QB would have gotten the pass in and It's one broken tackle away from aTD

That was an old post back from May. It wasn't supposed to be a groundbreaking breakdown of Verner. Just giving a video is nice sometimes because it gives you a better picture of the player than simply just a name, measurement and stats.

Babylon
01-04-2010, 01:38 PM

Interesting topic, i happen to think Russell Okung benefits from an average O-line crop (especially at the top). Having said that i like Haden better then Malcolm Jenkins out of Ohio State.

The combine is going to say a lot regarding Haden, some positions dont benefit that much from the 40 but i think it's important to corners.

keylime_5
01-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Haden goes top 10 any year IMO. He's the best CB prospect and better than most top corners the past few years. This might not be a great CB class, but it looks like a pretty good overall draft class at the top end, and he'll be in that top end.

Cigaro
01-04-2010, 05:38 PM
As my earlier posts indicate, I thought he was overrated coming into this season, but I saw a good bit of him this year, and didn't see any of the problems from years past. He's now in my book certainly the top corner in the class, and if you had a big enough need at the position, top ten worthy.

MattyFos
01-04-2010, 07:22 PM
That was an old post back from May. It wasn't supposed to be a groundbreaking breakdown of Verner. Just giving a video is nice sometimes because it gives you a better picture of the player than simply just a name, measurement and stats.

I didn't see the date on the post. I was just giving opinion on how well he played in the video that was shown.

MattyFos
01-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Haden goes top 10 any year IMO. He's the best CB prospect and better than most top corners the past few years. This might not be a great CB class, but it looks like a pretty good overall draft class at the top end, and he'll be in that top end.

It's not like Haden had a breakout year and that's what the buzz is about. From the second he stepped foot in Gainesville he was the starting CB... I think only CB to start as a freshman in Florida history? He's a solid pick, and I'd accept the Browns taking him at 7. That is unless we can get Nnamdi Asomugha (not happening). Rob Ryan will turn Haden into a solid pro.

SnowPatrol
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Very impressed with Haden, I think Arron Ross is a good comparison, very good speed, a bit undersized, but is great in man-coverage, which is a huge plus for a corner. Mid first round is what I think.

GatorJetsFan15
01-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Janoris Jenkins was very impressive as a true freshman. I like his physicality, he can jam guys already. More int's down the road and he's future 1st round pick. Will Hill is another guy to keep an eye out for. He played some nickle as freshman just to keep him on the field but is really a good looking FS prospect. Gators are just loaded on defensive side of the ball when I think about it. Dunlap led SEC in sacks as sophmore with 7. Spikes is a beast, he has great instincts and his 6'3 to 6'4 240 to 260 frame is franchise MLB stuff, like Urlacher. Also remember this name, Earl Okine.

Okine really? Haven't heard much from him. I think he's outgrown DE and he'll eb lost in the DT rotation for another year before Marsh and Sanders graduate.

Jenkins had a down SO. year but he goes back to playing like he did as a FR. and continues to hit the weights then he'll be a 1st round talent.

Oh, and Haden's a top 12 pick, IMO. Great physique, top-end speed. Can lock-down in man but will still come up and hit you in run support.

rfc17
01-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Haden is a very good tackler. may be his best attribute.

killa3312
01-05-2010, 12:55 AM

I am- Haden's awesome. He's going to scorch the combine.

MattyFos
01-05-2010, 09:23 PM
I am- Haden's awesome. He's going to scorch the combine.

I hear his top bench is 325 or something.. not important for a corner... UNLESS you're thinking bump and run! With 4.4 speed. He can bump and run in man coverage... Awesome! On paper he seems like a great corner prospect. Interested on how he will perform in the combine. Glad I have the NFL Network!

yourfavestoner
01-06-2010, 10:29 PM
He'll be a top ten pick after he runs in the 4.3s at the combine. He was the second most athletic player on those Gator teams, behind only Harvin.