PDA

View Full Version : Top 6 teams who look to make the playoffs...

BeerBaron
05-16-2009, 10:24 AM
...after missing out in 2008.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=549179

Patriots
Texans
Chiefs
Cowboys
Bears
Seahawks

Obviously the Pats are going to be on there...same for the Cowboys. They have the talent to do it and were all but there last year.

Bears were only a game out last year, they add Cutler, the o-line improves, the young guys on offense have another year under their belt, Lovie takes back over the defensive playcalling, and they're in a fairly weak division unless Minnesota suddenly finds a good QB.

Seahawks, weak division, getting healthy after last year, makes sense.

Then the Chiefs and Texans are some more out there ones imo. Chiefs I can see as that division can be downright terrible....like it says in there, a .500 record could get them in if the division goes like it did last year, and they could surprise like the Dolphins and Falcons did last year.

The Texans though....no. They could go 10-6 and still be 3rd in that division and as we learned last year, that may not even get them in as a wildcard in the AFC.

Thoughts? Notable omissions?

DeepToFitz11
05-16-2009, 10:51 AM
I have trouble seeing the Chiefs in the playoffs. Granted, they are in a bad division and did aquire a good QB this offseason (Cassel), but their O-Line has some question marks, their running game isn't up to par. Defensively, they are transferring to the 3-4, so most of the team will be learning new positions. They also lack a pass rusher which will make life hard for their young secondary. They did take Tyson Jackson, but he is a 3-4 DE, so he won't be putting up big sack numbers like a Jared Allen or DeMarcus Ware would. Personally, I think the Chargers have a good season, going 10-6 and taking the division.

Matthew Jones
05-16-2009, 11:17 AM
My six would be:

New England
Oakland
Dallas
Washington
Chicago
Green Bay

Kind of going out on a limb with Oakland but the division sucks, so there's a chance.

wicket
05-16-2009, 11:37 AM
the saints have to be in this discussion imo.
My list:
Pats
Boys
Skins
Sains
Bears
Seahawks (cuz of div strength, well lack thereof)

BeerBaron
05-16-2009, 11:53 AM
My six would be:

New England
Oakland
Dallas
Washington
Chicago
Green Bay

Kind of going out on a limb with Oakland but the division sucks, so there's a chance.

It would basically be the same argument as the Chiefs in the link. They manage to go .500 and they could win the division if it doesn't improve from last year.

XxXdragonXxX
05-16-2009, 11:58 AM
They forgot to mention injuries to Deion Branch, Nate Burleson, Bobby Engram (and all their backups), Walter Jones, Mike Wahle, Rob Sims, Chris Spencer, Sean Locklear (thats all 5 starting OL), Patrick Kerney, Lofa Tatupu, Leroy Hill and Marcus Trufant. Hasselbeck wasnt the only injured player.

Hines
05-16-2009, 12:04 PM
I dont think Dallas will make the playoffs this year IMO. Philly and the Giants all improved. Washington's defense could be very nasty this season. I have a hard time believing that they will make the playoffs after they seemed to do nothing in the offseason while their counterparts improved.

I could see the Texans making a push, along with the Bears if Cutler gets enough weapons.

I think the Jags could surprise people this year with an improved team.

If the Saints' defense improves, they will be in the playoffs IMO.

keylime_5
05-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I have trouble seeing the Chiefs in the playoffs. Granted, they are in a bad division and did aquire a good QB this offseason (Cassel), but their O-Line has some question marks, their running game isn't up to par. Defensively, they are transferring to the 3-4, so most of the team will be learning new positions. They also lack a pass rusher which will make life hard for their young secondary. They did take Tyson Jackson, but he is a 3-4 DE, so he won't be putting up big sack numbers like a Jared Allen or DeMarcus Ware would. Personally, I think the Chargers have a good season, going 10-6 and taking the division.

I think San Diego is almost as likely to have a losing record as they are to make the playoffs. The only thing is their division is bad, so they probably only need to go .500 in the division to win it. Kansas City almost beat San Diego twice last year, and that was before they added Matt Cassel, Zach Thomas, Mike Vrabel, Tyson Jackson, and Bobby Engram - plus new coaches usually have big first years nowadays....so who knows, it's the NFL, anything can happen.

I do think that since 5 to 7 teams always make the playoffs after missing the year before, that San Diego is one of the most likely teams to be miss this year and Kansas City makes more sense than Denver or Oakland to take that spot.

Two obvious teams to watch this year for me are Seattle and Jacksonville. They were two of the best in their respective conferences just two seasons ago.

Strongside
05-16-2009, 12:11 PM
My 6 would be:
Patriots
Saints
Bengals
Cowboys
Bears
Seahawks

Hines
05-16-2009, 12:23 PM
My 6 would be:
Patriots
Saints
Bengals
Cowboys
Bears
Seahawks

You stole my thunder. I was just about to make a comment on the Bengals to be a sleeper team.

If the Bengals don't act like the Bengals, I could see them coming close to winning a wildcard spot. The offense is going to be explosive, but I think their defense could be underrated this season.

With Baltimore losing Rex Ryan, I could see the Baltimore defense struggling, but still being dominant. They are also getting older, which hurts them. They really don't have many weapons for Flacco, which could end up hurting them.

Strongside
05-16-2009, 12:27 PM
You stole my thunder. I was just about to make a comment on the Bengals to be a sleeper team.

If the Bengals don't act like the Bengals, I could see them coming close to winning a wildcard spot. The offense is going to be explosive, but I think their defense could be underrated this season.

With Baltimore losing Rex Ryan, I could see the Baltimore defense struggling, but still being dominant. They are also getting older, which hurts them. They really don't have many weapons for Flacco, which could end up hurting them.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. If the Bengals defense can get some sort of reliable pass rush they could be pretty beastly.

And I wouldn't be too surprised if the North sent 3 teams to the playoffs this year.

tjsunstein
05-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Gotta go kind of homer here, but Green Bay.
Also, look out for Buffalo if they can go a whole season like they start off.

bantx
05-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Well we got merriman back, so i dont see us doing as bad as we did last year. A lot of injuries throughout the year, going into the season pretty much healthy this time.

Cigaro
05-16-2009, 01:48 PM
New England
Green Bay
Dallas
Houston
Seattle
Chicago

Seamus2602
05-16-2009, 02:04 PM
My top 6 teams would be:

New England Patriots: The had a very good Offseason, brought in a lot of good veterans, drafted good players and are getting Tom Brady back. The only team on this list that you would identify as a good bet for the Superbowl.

Houston Texans: Texans knocked on the door last year. This year there gonna have Super Mario knock it through. They have an easier schedule (play NFC West, Oakland and Cincinatti) and have massively improved their team in the Offseason. They could challenge for the AFC South and should definately make Wild Card.

New Orleans Saints: Saints have the best Offense in the NFL and have improved their Defense as well. The NFC South will be a difficult division next year but the Saints can outscore almost any Offense and by upgrading their D they will win more games next year. Again, could be a divisional winner but should surely make Wild Card.

Seattle Seahawks: Seattle play in a poor division, have strengthened their team in the Offseason and had a good draft. Combined with the fact that most Superbowl Runners-up tend to not play as well the following year, could mean that Seattle could sneak the division.

Chicago Bears: Chi-town were close to playoffs last year, have strengthened their O-Line, got Jay Cutler, drafted a WR etc means the should play better next year. Their only downside is that all 3 teams in their divison have strengthened themselves as well.

New York Jets: Jets have brought in a new Head Coach, have strengthened an all ready strong Defence, have a solid O-Line, good running backs, a Quarterback that isn't going to throw stupid interceptions etc. They could gain playoffs next year.

Honourable mention: Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers and the Dallas Cowboys.

OneToughGame
05-16-2009, 02:16 PM
They forgot to mention injuries to Deion Branch, Nate Burleson, Bobby Engram (and all their backups), Walter Jones, Mike Wahle, Rob Sims, Chris Spencer, Sean Locklear (thats all 5 starting OL), Patrick Kerney, Lofa Tatupu, Leroy Hill and Marcus Trufant. Hasselbeck wasnt the only injured player.

A few forums I post on think Tatupu just had a bad year lol (they aren't Seahawk forums as you can tell). You bring up the fact he sprained his knee, had a concussion and wore a cast the whole season and then they have no idea what to say lol.

TitanHope
05-16-2009, 02:33 PM
I like Green Bay to push Minnesota for the division title, with Chicago there til the end in the NFC North.

I actually like the Raiders in the AFC West. I don't think that Kansas City and Denver will transition to the 3-4 as smoothly as GB will, so I think Oakland can take at least 2nd in the division. A lot of things will have to go right for them to make the Playoffs though, but it's a possibility.

And of course, the ever changing NFC South, ultra competitive NFC East, and Tom Brady returning to New England.

Aside from those five divisions, I don't see much changing.

05-16-2009, 02:34 PM
My six would be:

New England
Oakland
Dallas
Washington
Chicago
Green Bay

Normally, I have high hopes for my team (Oakland), but this year it's a little different than usual. I'm frustrated with Russell's progression and lack of desire for the game to the point where I'm not sure he'll ever change his ways. I hope it's not an overreaction at all. That and DHB is probably a year or two away from contributing and his inconsistencies as the #2 receiver could hold us back a bit. McFadden is the safest bet from the three to breakout this season and should break the 1000+ yards rushing plateau. As for the team, anywhere from 5-8 wins, which is assuming a lot. The defense should be absolutely beastly, though.

vikes_28
05-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I would have to say that green bay would go in chicago's spot.

AntoinCD
05-16-2009, 03:37 PM
My 6 would be;

New England Patriots-Obvious choice here. Tom Brady is back and should be healthy. The offense has been strengthened with Fred Taylor, Chris Baker and Alex Smith and the secondary has been greatly improved. The pass rush is still below par but no QB in the AFC East really will scare many defensive coordinators.

Houston Texans-Seems like they're in this spot every year but eventually they will break through. As of now the Colts are front runners for the division as the Titans have been weakened with the Haynesworth loss. If Matt Schaub can stay healthy they will score points and could realistically have an 11-5/10-6 type season.

Chicago Bears-I had originally thought the Packers first because overall I think they have a better team than the Bears but with the transition to the 34 it could take a year. The Bears have a very good running game at the minute and added Cutler in the offseason so their offense should be good. If their defense can step it up to the level of two or three years ago they could be a real threat in the NFC.

New Orleans Saints-This is on the condition that somehow they manage to convert third and short next year. With Brees and that passing offense they will always have a chance to win games and they have upgraded their biggest weakness(secondary). The NFC South is wide open at the minute with the Falcons being the favourite so far but have a 2nd year QB so things can happen.

Dallas Cowboys-I hesistate to say the Cowboys because in my opinion two of the top 4 teams at the minute play in the NFC East but no one can question the Cowboys talent levels. If the losses of TO, Pacman etc can improve chemistry levels in the team then they could be dangerous but that is a big IF at the minute.

San Francisco 49ers-If the 49ers can get decent QB play from Shaun Hill then they can definitely take advantage of a weak divison. Defensively I think they are very underrated and with a strong running game they could cause a few upsets.

HawkeyeFan
05-16-2009, 08:34 PM
I can't wait until we surprise everyone next season, it's going to be great.

Still, we get ZERO credit even though we have a much more talented team than everyone thinks. We definitely have some of the most potential in the league.

the decider13
05-16-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm flabergasted by the lack of respect for the Broncos. Seriously...the chiefs and the raiders making it before the Broncos? I can live with the Chargers making it, but there is no way the Broncos are going to finish below the raiders and the chiefs. Anyone who thinks that should probably do a little more reasearch other than ZoMFG THEY FIRED SHANNY AND TRaDeD CUTLErZzzzz

TitanHope
05-16-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm flabergasted by the lack of respect for the Broncos. Seriously...the chiefs and the raiders making it before the Broncos? I can live with the Chargers making it, but there is no way the Broncos are going to finish below the raiders and the chiefs. Anyone who thinks that should probably do a little more reasearch other than ZoMFG THEY FIRED SHANNY AND TRaDeD CUTLErZzzzz

I represented the Broncos in a forum mock by Neko4. I've done my research.

You don't like the people doubting the Broncos? That's fine. But I assure you, there are reasons to doubt the Broncos aside from trading Jay Cutler.

Besides, at this point, it's all speculation. No one saw Atlanta or Miami doing so well last season either. Don't take it personally, because all we're looking at is potential, really.

the decider13
05-16-2009, 11:21 PM
I represented the Broncos in a forum mock by Neko4. I've done my research.

You don't like the people doubting the Broncos? That's fine. But I assure you, there are reasons to doubt the Broncos aside from trading Jay Cutler.

Besides, at this point, it's all speculation. No one saw Atlanta or Miami doing so well last season either. Don't take it personally, because all we're looking at is potential, really.

I know, but it just gets annoying to come in to a thread like this where the chiefs and raiders have more representation than the Broncos. Then go over the mock drafts where the Broncos are picking top 5 in every single one. Honestly though, none of the three will make it.

And yeah it is all speculation. But I don't see anything about the Chiefs that make them pop off the page other than the fact they picked up a "Franchise QB" who put up decent stats with a superb offense. Now he is throwing behind an inferior line, with worse receivers.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
05-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Redskins

Every few years they put together a wildcard berth it seems. East is tough but Campbell is still a decent QB, second year for Zorn, young weapons are developing plus Moss/Cooley, still have Portis and they added the best free agent at a position that has been lacking for a long time in Haynesworth at DT. A stud DT next to Griffen is pretty good with Fletcher behind them. Started hot last year, were 3-3 in the division so they can go head to head with anyone. Plus who knows what Orakpo will do.

TitanHope
05-17-2009, 12:21 AM
I know, but it just gets annoying to come in to a thread like this where the chiefs and raiders have more representation than the Broncos. Then go over the mock drafts where the Broncos are picking top 5 in every single one. Honestly though, none of the three will make it.

And yeah it is all speculation. But I don't see anything about the Chiefs that make them pop off the page other than the fact they picked up a "Franchise QB" who put up decent stats with a superb offense. Now he is throwing behind an inferior line, with worse receivers.

I gotcha, but ya just gotta take your lumps. Right now, the 3 AFC West teams behind the Chargers are close together. In my opinion, the Raiders are in the better shape as they're not under a brand new Head Coach and going through a complete scheme change. I think Denver and KC are neck and neck, as I like Denver's offense more and KC's defense more. And with the dysfunctional Raiders, who knows?

I don't think any of the 3 are Playoff teams either, but based on the Division last season not being decided until the final game, San Diego can't be crowned winner just yet.

brat316
05-17-2009, 12:39 AM
My 12 in no order

Steelers
Colts
Pats
Chargers
Texans
Ravens

Cards
Bears
Eagles
Saints
Giants
Falcons

Iamcanadian
05-17-2009, 12:57 AM
New England - The obvious #1 choice and probably the SB favourite.
Jacksonville - Should bounce back and be a contender
Dallas - post Jimmy Johnson, the Cowboys haven't accomplished much with Jones running the show. Sure they won one post Johnson but it was with his players. As long as Jones is running the show the Cowboys may be in trouble.
Washington - solid team but in tough in the NFC East
Chicago - Cutler will make them a serious contender
Green Bay - Should bounce back if Rodgers continues to improve.
Houston - In tough division but with even Indy having a question mark, Houston could surprise
New Orleans - Can Brees win the bigs ones, I just don't know. This year should tell the story.
Seattle - If Hasselback returns to form, they could challenge but it isn't a sure thing.
Oakland - I think they are a year away and the HC may be a question mark, but they are going as far as Russell will carry them.

It is actually quite a possibility that at least 8 of them could make the playoffs. The NFL generally has between 6 and 8 new teams make the playoffs every year. If you want to know which ones have a really solid chance, just check out these team's schedules. The NFL is and has been for some time, a scheduled influenced league especially for teams that lack a true franchise QB. A true franchise QB will overcome a tough schedule but if your team doesn't have one, then schedule is usually the deciding factor in who makes the playoffs and the main reason why 6-8 new teams do it practically every year.

yodabear
05-17-2009, 01:00 AM
Chiefs
Raiders
Broncos
Seahawks
49ers
Rams

See what I did there, gave the west some love. Since no one else does. NFC and AFC West fans unite against hatrid and mediocrity.

And oh yeah, seriously got to say New England cuz they are going to win the super bowl. That is not an opinion, it is a fact. I have consulted with Trent Dilfer.

DenverDex
05-17-2009, 06:46 AM
The Oakland Raiders don't have an offensive line. I don't see how anyone can pick Oakland over anyone in the AFC West. The Raiders had a choice between Eugene Monroe arguably the best OT in the draft, or Crabtree the best WR in the draft. They took maybe the 3rd ranked WR in the draft.

Can't even try passing the ball if your scrub QB in Russell doesn't even have time to stare wide receivers down.

The AFC west is the Chargers for another year.

AFC West Rankings
1.Chargers
2a. Broncos
2b. Chiefs

4. Raiders

PS: Darren McFadden is overrated and is marshmellow soft. Justin Fargas >>>>>>>> McFaildden

MasterShake
05-17-2009, 07:17 AM

Your right, I don't know how people are so foolish to under-rate the worst defense in the league quarterbacked by Kyle Orton. Kyle Orton has a great starting record and I'm sure he will continue that trend with your horrific defense because he is the kind of QB who can carry a team.

Gay Ork Wang
05-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Your right, I don't know how people are so foolish to under-rate the worst defense in the league quarterbacked by Kyle Orton. Kyle Orton has a great starting record and I'm sure he will continue that trend with your horrific defense because he is the kind of QB who can carry a team.
no. Kyle Orton is a good QB but he will never carry a team. He never has and i doubt he ever will

Addict
05-17-2009, 08:02 AM
no. Kyle Orton is a good QB but he will never carry a team. He never has and i doubt he ever will

he's got a neckbeard to support, he cannot be bothered with trivial maters such as a team.

Iamcanadian
05-17-2009, 09:24 AM
The Oakland Raiders don't have an offensive line. I don't see how anyone can pick Oakland over anyone in the AFC West. The Raiders had a choice between Eugene Monroe arguably the best OT in the draft, or Crabtree the best WR in the draft. They took maybe the 3rd ranked WR in the draft.

Can't even try passing the ball if your scrub QB in Russell doesn't even have time to stare wide receivers down.

The AFC west is the Chargers for another year.

AFC West Rankings
1.Chargers
2a. Broncos
2b. Chiefs

4. Raiders

PS: Darren McFadden is overrated and is marshmellow soft. Justin Fargas >>>>>>>> McFaildden

Actually, I think you dreaming on Denver and you hatred of the Raiders is clouding your judgment.

San Diego which IMO is only held back by a mediocre HC.
Oakland is probably a year away from a breakout season. They go as far as Russell improves but 8 or 9 wins looks to be tops for next year.
Kansas City looks to be on the rise but they are still a long ways from being good enough to compete.

Denver will be lucky to win 4 games IMO and should easily be the bottom feeder in the AFC West. If the new HC is as bad at coaching as he is in handling players even 4 wins may be a struggle. We'll have to see if he can even get his team on his side after a disasterous off season and it won't be much better next year with no 1st rounder which could turnout to be a top 5 pick. Not a good time to be a Denver fan.

DenverDex
05-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Actually, I think you dreaming on Denver and you hatred of the Raiders is clouding your judgment.

San Diego which IMO is only held back by a mediocre HC.
Oakland is probably a year away from a breakout season. They go as far as Russell improves but 8 or 9 wins looks to be tops for next year.
Kansas City looks to be on the rise but they are still a long ways from being good enough to compete.

Denver will be lucky to win 4 games IMO and should easily be the bottom feeder in the AFC West. If the new HC is as bad at coaching as he is in handling players even 4 wins may be a struggle. We'll have to see if he can even get his team on his side after a disasterous off season and it won't be much better next year with no 1st rounder which could turnout to be a top 5 pick. Not a good time to be a Denver fan.

There is no way our defense can be worse than last years. Getting Rid of Bob Slowik the worst defensive coordinator of all time ensures that. Even without Cutler, our offense will still be productive as Orton is a capable starting QB in this league even if he doesn't have the potential Cutler had. I can't say I disagree that McDaniels hasn't handled some of the players properly, but to say he's going to be a failure as a HC is premature.

Oh and we still do have a 1st rounder next year.

The Broncos, Chiefs and Chargers all have way more potential than Oakland does. The Broncos will win at least 8 games next year, while the Raiders are the ones that will continue to be the bottom feeders of the AFC west.

Raiders are the ones that'll be lucky to win 4 games next year. But I'd expect nothing less from a team that went 24-72 over the last 6 years.

XxXdragonXxX
05-17-2009, 07:00 PM

Worst defense in the league? Yeah they're really really bad, but you forgot about the Lions.

OneToughGame
05-17-2009, 07:06 PM
New England - The obvious #1 choice and probably the SB favourite.
Jacksonville - Should bounce back and be a contender
Dallas - post Jimmy Johnson, the Cowboys haven't accomplished much with Jones running the show. Sure they won one post Johnson but it was with his players. As long as Jones is running the show the Cowboys may be in trouble.
Washington - solid team but in tough in the NFC East
Chicago - Cutler will make them a serious contender
Green Bay - Should bounce back if Rodgers continues to improve.
Houston - In tough division but with even Indy having a question mark, Houston could surprise
New Orleans - Can Brees win the bigs ones, I just don't know. This year should tell the story.
Seattle - If Hasselback returns to form, they could challenge but it isn't a sure thing.
Oakland - I think they are a year away and the HC may be a question mark, but they are going as far as Russell will carry them.

It is actually quite a possibility that at least 8 of them could make the playoffs. The NFL generally has between 6 and 8 new teams make the playoffs every year. If you want to know which ones have a really solid chance, just check out these team's schedules. The NFL is and has been for some time, a scheduled influenced league especially for teams that lack a true franchise QB. A true franchise QB will overcome a tough schedule but if your team doesn't have one, then schedule is usually the deciding factor in who makes the playoffs and the main reason why 6-8 new teams do it practically every year.

Hasselbeck ;)

Ness
05-17-2009, 07:20 PM
I expect my team to be in the mix. Perhaps it's a little homerism, but playing in the NFC West where a 9-7 record can get you into the playoffs, I feel a little optimistic here. Especially since Shaun Hill was playing like dynamite for the eight games he started. I just hope he can turn that potential into a full time gig. I feel really good about our receiving corp as well. Bruce is still a B+ receiver, Josh Morgan is now healthy and according to reports he is tearing it up in camp more than he was last season, and we have Crabtree as well. Even Jason Hill, our fourth string receiver looks like a young Isaac Bruce type with a little less speed. If we avoid injuries, we should have a great season.

Bucs_Rule
05-17-2009, 07:55 PM
The Texans look good, except Shaub can't stay healthy and they lost Sage and got Orlovsky. Sage was a turnover machine, but he also put up lots of points, where Orlovsky just stinks.

MasterShake
05-17-2009, 08:33 PM

Hmmm...I thought the sarcasm was dripping off my post, but next time I'll lather on another coat to be sure.

the decider13
05-17-2009, 08:48 PM

Yes because the quality of talent on offense in Denver is the same as Chicago last year. And of course, Denver didn't do anything to change their defense. They retained their defensive coordinator, didn't get rid of any of their bad defensive players, and didn't make any quality additions to the defense like Brian Dawkins, Robert Ayers, and Alphonso Smith. They also don't have champ bailey returning. They also didn't improve the rest of the offense by drafting an excellent all-around RB with blocking skills. They also don't have an amazing offensive line. I hope my sarcasm is detectable

skinzzfan25
05-17-2009, 09:14 PM
The NFC East is gonna be hella hard, as usual. The Eagles by far had the best offseason in the league. They upgraded almost everywhere on both sides of the ball and increased the longevity of their biggest worker, Westbrook. McNabb is still money. The loss of Dawkins hurts emotionally, but they still have one of the strongest secondaries, especially at the corners. Plus they looked like their playoff-self towards the end of the season, despite being too late for a playoff run.

The Giants are still heavyweights for the Lombardi. The only concern IMO would be the lack of Burress an how Eli will function without him. They get Osi back and are still stacked up front, even though their secondary could get thin near seasons end.

The Cowboys and Redskins will fight for the 3rd spot with the rest of the NFC. Both teams have added another year to their still unimproved offensive lines. Both teams still have huge threats on both sides of the ball. Romo/Witten/Barber is a fantastic trio and they get Jones back who looked legit in his limited time. Pending Garrett can stay true to the run and Roy Williams gets his **** together the offense shouldn't miss a beat. The defense is still more than solid. They got appropriate LBer help this offseason as well.

The Redskins depend on the development of Campbell this year and need another WR to step up and help out. Whether that be Davis, Thomas, Kelly, Mitchell, anybody, they need another big threat. With another year of installation of Zorn's playbook, hopefully things should improve. Portis is still a horse and can carry the team when needed. Everybody knows that they added Orakpo and Haynesworth to help stack the front line. This should help create more turnover opportunities for Hall, Landry, Horton/Moore, and Rogers. The already 4th ranked defense last year should be even better this year.

So yeah that's my quick rundown on the NFCE. It should be interesting as usual.

MasterShake
05-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Yes because the quality of talent on offense in Denver is the same as Chicago last year. And of course, Denver didn't do anything to change their defense. They retained their defensive coordinator, didn't get rid of any of their bad defensive players, and didn't make any quality additions to the defense like Brian Dawkins, Robert Ayers, and Alphonso Smith. They also don't have champ bailey returning. They also didn't improve the rest of the offense by drafting an excellent all-around RB with blocking skills. They also don't have an amazing offensive line. I hope my sarcasm is detectable

Dropping names like Robert Ayers, Alphonso Smith and a 36 year old Brian Dawkins will get you everywhere in convincing me that pathetic excuse for a defense will turn around in a single year.

49ersfan_87
05-17-2009, 09:28 PM
I expect my team to be in the mix. Perhaps it's a little homerism, but playing in the NFC West where a 9-7 record can get you into the playoffs, I feel a little optimistic here. Especially since Shaun Hill was playing like dynamite for the eight games he started. I just hope he can turn that potential into a full time gig. I feel really good about our receiving corp as well. Bruce is still a B+ receiver, Josh Morgan is now healthy and according to reports he is tearing it up in camp more than he was last season, and we have Crabtree as well. Even Jason Hill, our fourth string receiver looks like a young Isaac Bruce type with a little less speed. If we avoid injuries, we should have a great season.

We have a lot of depth on offense actually. RB, TE, FB (Our blocking TE can back up, so can Michael Robinson), WR, OT (Adam Snyder is a good backup), OG (Tony Wragge isn't a shabby backup). Heck, even though our QBs arent world-beaters, both have starting experience. There isnt much of a dropoff from one to the other. Dont know if thats good or bad though :D

Definsively, We have nice depth at DE, ILB, CB, and FS, but were screwed at NT and OLB. If our starters there suffer a injury we are toast. Unfortunately, those are the 2 most important positions in the 3-4.. :confused:

the decider13
05-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Dropping names like Robert Ayers, Alphonso Smith and a 36 year old Brian Dawkins will get you everywhere in convincing me that pathetic excuse for a defense will turn around in a single year.

So telling you how the team improved is not enough to convince you how the team improved? Interesting.

Wow...you did a good job refuting everything I said. Actually, all you did was attack the defense again. Sure they were very bad. I honestly don't think they can be worse. They definately won't be in the top half, but I could definately see them improving to around 20th.

JT Jag
05-17-2009, 09:59 PM
The Jaguars might surprise people. Remember, they're just a year separated from a great season that culminated in a successful playoff run.

Now they've done some addition by subtraction and they've got their offensive line back, which was one of the top five or so in the league when it was healthy.

The status of Vince Manuwai is key, but he expects to be back by training camp. If he is, then things might be interesting.

Jensen
05-17-2009, 10:17 PM
New England Patriots
Seattle Seahawks
San Fransisco 49ers
Jacksonville Jaguars
New Orleans Saints
Chicago Bears

Those would be my 6 teams to look out for that didn't make the playoffs last year. Patriots should be a given with Brady back. They will turn in to instant contenders and possibly make another Super Bowl run. With Hasselbeck back and a healthy team with the additions of Housh and Curry, I think Seattle could surprise and make a run at the division again. Same thing with San Fran., they came close last year and should improve more this year. Jacksonville had an off year, and I liked that he improved their O-Line in the draft, and I'm expecting Garrard to have a bounce-back year. I think the Saints could surprise this year in the South. If they don't win the division, I could see them sneaking into a wildcard spot with around a 10-6 record. Chicago greatly improved with the addition of Cutler instantly giving them a shot at the division in my opinion. Even though he doesn't have great threats at WR, I think he will be able to get the job done well enough to possibly win the division with around a 10-6 record.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Oaklands season pretty much relies totally on Russell.The only improvement we made on defense was getting rid of Ryan.And even then it may not even matter.

DeathbyStat
05-17-2009, 11:01 PM
My sleepers for this season

Jets
Bengals
Texans
and

Chiefs

CC.SD
05-17-2009, 11:34 PM
I think San Diego is almost as likely to have a losing record as they are to make the playoffs. The only thing is their division is bad, so they probably only need to go .500 in the division to win it. Kansas City almost beat San Diego twice last year, and that was before they added Matt Cassel, Zach Thomas, Mike Vrabel, Tyson Jackson, and Bobby Engram - plus new coaches usually have big first years nowadays....so who knows, it's the NFL, anything can happen.

I do think that since 5 to 7 teams always make the playoffs after missing the year before, that San Diego is one of the most likely teams to be miss this year and Kansas City makes more sense than Denver or Oakland to take that spot.

Two obvious teams to watch this year for me are Seattle and Jacksonville. They were two of the best in their respective conferences just two seasons ago.

I think it would take unprecedented and crucial injuries to get SD to miss. Last year they were 8-8, but really 9-7 without the Hochuli incident, and that was a season where they got absolutely no bounces. Merriman is back, and since Indy and New England didn't win their division, we get to dodge them this year. Everyone who think it's even a possibility that the Bolts do not continue owning the AFC West is underestimating the rebuilding projects in store for Denver, KC, and Oakland.

That sounds pretty biased reading it back, but seriously all these teams are rebuilding. KC traded Gonzo for a pick NEXT year, Denver decided it didn't want a franchise QB. Only Oakland has the potential to do some damage if their offensive talent matures all at once and their D holds together. And that is something we have been saying for a while now.

MasterShake
05-17-2009, 11:46 PM
So telling you how the team improved is not enough to convince you how the team improved? Interesting.

Wow...you did a good job refuting everything I said. Actually, all you did was attack the defense again. Sure they were very bad. I honestly don't think they can be worse. They definately won't be in the top half, but I could definately see them improving to around 20th.

My point was you weren't naming any game changers added....just some guys who could possibly have some impact.

a 20th ranked defense is the high end of what the Broncos can achieve...even if they hit that magical mark, with Kyle Orton at the helm the offense won't have the spark to make up for the D.

XxXdragonXxX
05-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Oaklands season pretty much relies totally on Russell.The only improvement we made on defense was getting rid of Ryan.And even then it may not even matter.

Getting rid of Ryan is an improvement...but then they replaced him with Marshall, so they're kinda right back where they started.

bored of education
05-18-2009, 10:36 AM
If KC makes the playoffs in 2009/2010 season I will never post on SWDC again. Sig that bitches!

Gay Ork Wang
05-18-2009, 10:39 AM
If KC makes the playoffs in 2009/2010 season I will never post on SWDC again. Sig that bitches!
you already lost one, u really wanna keep doing this?

bored of education
05-18-2009, 11:58 AM
you already lost one, u really wanna keep doing this?

This is a battle i'm willing to lose!

TitleTown088
05-18-2009, 12:28 PM
The bears will get nothing and like it.

Why 6 teams?

BeerBaron
05-18-2009, 12:53 PM
The bears will get nothing and like it.

Why 6 teams?

Because from year to year, about half the teams (6) usually change from who made the playoffs one year to the next.

Iamcanadian
05-18-2009, 03:21 PM

Unfortunastely Hill just isn't a really talented QB. Remember, Martz got 4000 passing yards out of Kitna, a career backup, for 2 consequative years. Hill withouit Martz, is far more likely to be a disaster rather than a success story.

Iamcanadian
05-18-2009, 03:44 PM
There is no way our defense can be worse than last years. Getting Rid of Bob Slowik the worst defensive coordinator of all time ensures that. Even without Cutler, our offense will still be productive as Orton is a capable starting QB in this league even if he doesn't have the potential Cutler had. I can't say I disagree that McDaniels hasn't handled some of the players properly, but to say he's going to be a failure as a HC is premature.

I think you and a few others need a reality check on Orton. Orton is not a QB who can generate points. He is a game manager who just gets by as long as he has a defense that doesn't give up a lot of points and can keep the game close. Just doesn't sound like Denver's defense to me.
By the way, coordinaters are usually scapegoats for the GM and HC. Every fan on every poor team insistys his DC is the worst in pro football yet many go to other teams in the same position and produce winning defenses when they are provided with enough talent to win.

Oh and we still do have a 1st rounder next year.

Yeah, but it isn't very likely to be a high 1st rounder. Chicago will be one of the favourites with Cutler at QB.

The Broncos, Chiefs and Chargers all have way more potential than Oakland does. The Broncos will win at least 8 games next year, while the Raiders are the ones that will continue to be the bottom feeders of the AFC west.

I agree, the Chargers are head and shoulders above any AFC West team and KC has the look of a team on the rise under their new GM and HC. I just happen to think Oakland is a more experienced team right now than KC and if Russell continues to develop(not a sure thing), Oakland will have enough to finish second.

Raiders are the ones that'll be lucky to win 4 games next year. But I'd expect nothing less from a team that went 24-72 over the last 6 years.

If Russell continues to develop, Oakland will be vastly improved and to finish 2nd they likely only need to win 7 games.

Denver's defense last year was about as bad as you can get and that is talent my friend not just coaching. Their offense had a lot of potential but replacing Cutler with Orton is not likely to produce half the points Cutler put up. Add in a HC whose relationship with his players is suspect and you have a recipe for disaster just waiting to happen. All roads for Denver lead to last place IMO and 4 wins looks about the best you can hope for.

Iamcanadian
05-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Because from year to year, about half the teams (6) usually change from who made the playoffs one year to the next.

Actually, it is more like 5-8 teams every year.