PDA

View Full Version : 2010 & 2012 World Champion San Francisco Giants Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3

CJSchneider
05-18-2009, 12:09 AM
It seems like every other team forum has an equivalent baseball team thread, so why not us?

I'll start this thread of by displaying a pic of my favorite Giant as a kid.

http://www.sportsgalleryweb.com/images/baseball/photos/will_clark_batting_large_large.jpg

Borat
05-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Grrrrrrr. I'm going to end up busting out a ton of rants in this thread.

Just for funzies, I'll post my infamous sig:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n247/sabufoo/Google2.jpg

farfromforgotten
05-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Will Clark is my all-time favorite Giants player and lol @Borat - I forgot about that sig.

Edit: I should say that Will Clark is my favorite Giants player that I have seen play. Its hard to go against the guy named Willie as the all-time favorite. Wish I could have seen him play.

YAYareaRB
05-18-2009, 10:23 AM
I hate the Giants but I like some of the players.

JT Snow was my all time favorite Giant.

http://baseballevolution.com/images/snow1.jpg

Rob Nenn was one of my faves and the reason why I wore 31 in baseball from 2nd grade to 11th.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/eticket/050923/robb_280x370.jpg

Borat
05-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Nen's slider was filthy. That ***** would drop a couple of feet and make batters look silly. Loved Nen.

Brent
05-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I started a thread like this before but I think it upset a few guys because they're like Dodgers/Angels/A's fans or fans of non-CA teams.

YAYareaRB
05-18-2009, 10:49 AM
I started a thread like this before but I think it upset a few guys because they're like Dodgers/Angels/A's fans or fans of non-CA teams.

I like the Dodgers.. uhhh ohhhhhh

Borat
05-18-2009, 10:50 AM
I like the Dodgers.. uhhh ohhhhhh

You have syphilis.

YAYareaRB
05-18-2009, 10:54 AM
You have syphilis.

You have Swine Flu

Borat
05-18-2009, 10:57 AM
You have dysentery

/Oregon trail

CJSchneider
05-18-2009, 11:38 AM
OK, enough - ENOUGH!

Who is your favorite young Giant? By young I meran mnor leauges to less then 2 years of pro ball experience.

Mine is Buster Posey. He's a catcher at "A" - San Jose now. His average is not where it was in college, but his power-stroke is still formidable.

Borat
05-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Pitcher wise, it's Madison Bumgarner. Hard throwing lefty. Just got moved up to AA. He'll be in SF within 2 years. Tim Alderson is badass too. The rotation in a couple of years should be God, Cain, Bumgarner, Alderson, Zito. That's sexy as hell, except for the albatross at the end.

Hitting wise, gimme Angel Villalona. He hit 17 bombs last year as a 17-year old in A ball. He's hitting well in San Jose this year. He's a couple of years away as well.

As for Posey, I like him a lot as well. He's been slumping lately though. He spent the first month of the season hitting just under .400 and is now down to under .300

CJSchneider
05-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Pitcher wise, it's Madison Bumgarner. Hard throwing lefty. Just got moved up to AA. He'll be in SF within 2 years. Tim Alderson is badass too. The rotation in a couple of years should be God, Cain, Bumgarner, Alderson, Zito. That's sexy as hell, except for the albatross at the end.

Hitting wise, gimme Angel Villalona. He hit 17 bombs last year as a 17-year old in A ball. He's hitting well in San Jose this year. He's a couple of years away as well.

As for Posey, I like him a lot as well. He's been slumping lately though. He spent the first month of the season hitting just under .400 and is now down to under .300

God he has been terrible since crossing the bay.

YAYareaRB
05-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Can I talk about the Dodgers here?

Borat
05-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Can I talk about the Dodgers here?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Well, unless you want to talk about Manny and his limp noodle.

Madirishman
05-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Pablo Sandoval aka "Panda" is quickly becoming a Giant's fan favorite. I believe he has star potential - his contact hitting has shades of a young Tony Gwynn.

Borat's sig was awesome. I remember that...BUT, if Sabean is the worst, then why would the Dodgers hire his mentee as their GM? ;)

Brent
05-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Look at the San Jose affiliate... **** my life there is so much talent on that team. AND THEY'RE ALL OURS! I hate to say it but Sabean finally decided to fund a good farm system and look what happens? Good young talent... what a shocker?

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
05-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Look at the San Jose affiliate... **** my life there is so much talent on that team. AND THEY'RE ALL OURS! I hate to say it but Sabean finally decided to fund a good farm system and look what happens? Good young talent... what a shocker?

Yeah never thought Sabean would commit to the farm system but he has retooled the hell out of it. Also landing Posey, Gillaspie, and Crawford in the draft and signing Rafael Rodriguez last year was incredible. Props to Sabs......now don't do something stupid at the trade deadline.

Man feel bad for Lowry:
http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_12399141?nclick_check=1
Noah Lowry's road back to the major leagues just got longer.

With his latest comeback bid stalled because of chronic pain in his left shoulder and neck, the Giants left-hander is scheduled to undergo surgery today to remove the first rib on his left side. Recovery time is estimated at three months, leaving little hope he will pitch this season.

Was hoping he could get things on track but just can't catch a break.

FG4prez
05-20-2009, 09:26 AM
his agent also said that the giants misdiagnosed his injury and he has been spinning his wheels for the past 9 months w/ rehabbing the wrong injury. awesome
A couple of years ago lowry was my favorite player on the giants. I was at his major league debut. He took a no-no into the seventh, when my father, the awesome fan that he is, says to me "when do you think we should leave to beat traffic?" boom no-no broken up almost instantaneously. I used to love the radar gun during his starts. A 74 mph curve? really? a 71 mph change? it was unreal. throw in the fact that he used to pinch run for us, it was awesome.
I really hope he rehabs this thing and comes back. damn it.

The lineup these days is ATROCIOUS!! Randy Winn was the only thing holding it together last year (him and molina, but molinas obp is horrid and why he is best suited as a clean-up guy, only hes only decent compared to just about every other cleanup hitter in the league although i have plenty of love for his clutch hitting). Zito has been great but cant get a W. You're really gonna tell me that signing Renteria for the same kind of money as Adam Dunn wouldve got was a good idea? and now the red sox are going to beat us to the punch with nick johnson. ***** horrible.

Borat
05-20-2009, 12:45 PM
I get a daily update on all of the Giants prospects from a website I like to visit. I can post them here if you guys want.

Madirishman
05-20-2009, 12:56 PM
I get a daily update on all of the Giants prospects from a website I like to visit. I can post them here if you guys want.

Sure, I'm all for that.

Borat
05-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Giants prospect stats for 5/19/09 (keep in mind that if you don't see a particular prospect listed, that's because he either did nothing that day, or didn't play)

Highlights of the day: (a) Brandon Crawford has four hits in four plate appearances; (b) Buster Posey has two XBH; (c) Matt Downs has three XBH. Honorable mention for a pitcher goes to Daryl Maday with another effective start, although his peripheral stats keep him just in the honorable mention category this time.

AAA: Fresno defeated Albuquerque 5-4 (14 innings)

Fresno: CF Andres Torres: 0 for 3, 2 SO
Fresno: 2B Matt Downs: 3 for 7, 3 2B
Fresno: 1B Jesus Guzman: 2 for 5, 2 2B, 2 BB, 2 IBB
Fresno: SS Jake Wald: 4 for 7, 2B, 2 SO, E

Fresno: RHP Ryan Sadwoski: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 K--1 HR
Fresno: LHP Alex Hinshaw: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
Fresno: LHP Geno Espineli: 2.0 IP, 1 BB, 2 K
Fresno: RHP Steve Palazzolo: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 3 BB, 1 K--1 HB
Albuquerque: LHP Shawn Estes: 6.0+ IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K

Wald had four of the Grizzlies' sixteen hits, raising his AVG to .215. He had had just five hits during his previous nine games. Guzman also reached base four times, although twice by intentional walk. He had two doubles, while Downs had three doubles--interestingly enough, all against five different pitchers. Both of them now have 12 doubles this year. Torres now has 9 SO in 16 AB in his five rehab appearances.

Sadowski and Estes, the ex-Giant now in the Dodgers organization, both had quality starts with 3 ER in 6.0 IP. Sadowski has now allowed exactly 3 ER in five of his last seven starts. Estes now has a 3.00 ERA after eight starts. Although Sadowski has not allowed more than 3 ER in any start, he has an ERA above 4.00. Hinshaw allowed a run for his first blown save. Espineli and Palazzolo combined for five scoreless innings in the extra frames, allowing just one hit but four walks. Espineli improved his ERA to 2.84 while Palazzolo's ERA remained above 4.00.

AA: Connecticut lost to Binghamton 4-2
(allowing two runs in the 9th inning)

Connecticut: SS Brandon Crawford: 4 for 4, E
Connecticut: CF Mike McBryde: 2 for 4, SO, CS

Connecticut: RHP Daryl Maday: 6.0 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
Connecticut: RHP Waldis Joaquin: 0.2 IP, 1 H
Connecticut: LHP Joe Paterson: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 2 K--1 HB

Crawford had four of the Defenders' eleven hits, raising his AVG to .351. He now has 13 H and 11 SO in 37 AB since his promotion. McBryde, playing his first game as a Defender, was one of two other Defenders with a multi-hit line.

Despite allowing a season high 8 H, Maday had his third straight start with at least 6.0 IP and no more than 2 ER. Joaquin had his sixth straight appearance without a strikeout. Paterson's appearance resulted in a stat line not fitting with the rest of his season. He had previously allowed 0 ER and 2 BB in thirteen appearances but allowed 2 ER and 4 BB in his fourteenth appearance of the season.

A+: San Jose defeated Inland Empire 6-3

San Jose: DH Buster Posey: 2 for 3, 2 2B, HBP
San Jose: 3B Conor Gillaspie: 2 for 4, 2B
San Jose: 3B Brian Bocock: 3 for 4

San Jose: LHP Craig Clark: 7.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 6 K--2 HR
San Jose: RHP Dan Turpen: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 3 K

Bocock had three of the Giants' eleven hits, raising his AVG to .225. The other two Giants with mutli-hit lines were Posey and Gillaspie. Posey's 10th and 11th doubles raised his AVG back above .300. Gillaspie's two hits, including his 8th double, raised his AVG to just .257.

Clark matched his longest start of the season with 7.0 IP. With 6 K and 0 BB, he raised his K/BB ratio above 8.00. Turpen struck out three of the seven batters he faced, and two more scoreless innings lowered his ERA to 0.68.

A-: Augusta had a scheduled off-day
(Their next scheduled off-day is May 28.)

Much thanks to Steve S at McCovey Chronicles (http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2009/5/19/880816/minor-lines-5-19-09) for the stats and write-up.

FG4prez
05-21-2009, 01:31 AM
time to call up jesus, giants give up two hits and lose again.

Brent
05-21-2009, 10:34 AM
time to call up jesus, giants give up two hits and lose again.
I'm hoping they bring up a few of the AAA guys over the course of the year to let them get some experience in the majors. Just give them a few ABs against some crappy teams or something.

Borat
05-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Giants prospect stats for 5/20/09 (keep in mind that if you don't see a particular prospect listed, that's because he either did nothing that day, or didn't play)

Tonight's highlights might be honorable mentions on other nights: (a) Brandon Crawford has his first HR in the upper minors; (b) Ben Copeland has two doubles; and (c) Oliver Odle does not allow an earned run. From a prospect point of view, the most significant line of the night is Tim Alderson's third start in the upper minors. It was a quality start but not quite highlight worthy.

AAA Fresno was off

AA: Connecticut defeated Binghamton 6-3
(after scoring five runs in 3rd inning)

Connecticut: SS Brandon Crawford: 2 for 4, HR, SB
Connecticut: RF Eddy Martinez-Esteve: 2 for 2, 2 BB, CS
Connecticut: C Tyler LaTorre: 1 for 4, HR, PB

Connecticut: RHP Tim Alderson: 6.1 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
Connecticut: LHP Jesse English: 1.2 IP, 1 BB, 3 K

Crawford and LaTorre both hit their first Eastern League HRs. Both Crawford and LaTorre have OPS's over 1.000, Crawford through 146 AB this year (with both Connecticut and San Jose) and LaTorre through his first 34 AB. EME reached base three times, raising his OBP to .389.

Pitching on three days rest after his one-inning start, Alderson made his third start with the Defenders. For the season, Alderson's peripheral stats are now 42 H, 4 BB, and 38 K in 40.0 IP. After making his four previous appearances as a starter, English returned to the bullpen and struck out three of the six batters he faced.

A+: San Jose lost to Inland Empire 2-1

San Jose: CF Ben Copeland 2 for 4, 2 2B
San Jose: C Buster Posey: 1 for 3, BB, SO, PB
San Jose: RF Roger Kieschnick: 0 for 4, 3 SO

San Jose: RHP Oliver Odle: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K--1 PO
San Jose: RHP Sergio Romo: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 3 K
Inland Empire: RHP Steve Johnson: 8.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 10 K

Copeland's 3rd and 4th doubles were two of the Giants' three hits. With the Giants' other hit and one of their two walks, Posey also reached base twice. Kieschnick had the oh-fer with the hat trick, but his AVG remains above .330.

Odle had his first start of the year without allowing an earned run, improving his ERA to 5.50. The two unearned runs dropped his W-L record to 2-4. Romo retired eight of nine batters in his fourth rehab appearance. Johnson, whom BA ranked as the Dodgers' #15 prospect, had his best start of the year. His peripheral stats are now 35 H, 18 BB, and 59 K in 44.0 IP with a 3.68 ERA.

A-: Augusta defeated Greenville 4-3
(after scoring all four runs in the 4th inning)

Augusta: LF Wendell Fairley: 2 for 3, 2B

Augusta: RHP Chance Corgan: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K--1 HR, 1 WP
Augusta: LHP Dan Runzler: 2.0 IP, 1 BB, 6 K
Greenville: RHP Casey Kelly: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 3 K--1 WP

With two of the GreenJackets' three hits, Fairley was the only GreenJacket to reach base twice. His season line is now .232/.318/.316 through 95 AB.

Corgan, who moved into the rotation when Kelvin Marte went on the DL, made his second start. He has solid peripheral stats with 20 H, 6 BB, and 19 K in 23.1 IP. Runzler continues strikeout hitters at an amazing clip. In six May appearances, he now has 18 K in 9.0 IP. Kelly, the Red Sox' first round pick last year, had perhaps his least effective start of the year, suffering his first professional loss. The 19-year-old's stats are 31 H, 9 BB, and 36 K in 42.1 IP with a 1.28 ERA.

Much thanks to Steve S at McCovey Chronicles (http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2009/5/20/882079/minor-lines-5-20-09) for the stats and write-up.

Brent
05-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Too bad Molina is the only one not sucking, or else they could call up Buster Posey. Maybe next season.

FG4prez
05-22-2009, 03:44 AM
perhaps they can bring him up and try him at first? he did play every position in a game at fsu last year. guzman grounded into a dp first ab. perfect. i feel like rooting for the giants is a form of self-flagellation.

Madirishman
05-22-2009, 08:41 AM
They brought up Guzman yesterday to be the DH in interleague games as he has been tearing it up in AAA. They would have him at 1st full time over Ishikawa if his D was better, but they see him as a defensive liability and want to develop his D a little more in the minors. Either way, he'll get some cuts in the lineup as a DH against the Mariners.

Borat
05-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Last night's game was atrocious. I'm glad I'll be camping this weekend. I need a break from the Giants. Honestly, I seriously think I could out-manage Bruce Bochey. He's so clueless out there.

He had such a perfect opportunity to get an extra run last night and he completely blew it. He should have pinch-run for Benjie when he got to second base in the 9th. Our fastest player, Manny Burress, was on the bench (and Bochey brought him in as a defensive replacement in the bottom of the 9th anyway). You could put Pablo at catcher, Burress at short and move Frandsen over to third. Simple move, and it would have paid off. Of course, Bochey doesn't play it that way. And in the end, that's how you get 4 hits in the inning and only end up with 1 run. If we're not going to have a studly offense, then little moves need to be made to manufacture runs. Bochey can't do those things that we need to win.

Borat
05-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Giants prospect stats for 5/20/09 (keep in mind that if you don't see a particular prospect listed, that's because he either did nothing that day, or didn't play)

Highlights: (a) Henry Sosa allows 0 ER (1 R) in 6.0 IP, getting his ERA below 2.00; (b) Buster Posey hits his 7th HR; and (c) Paul Oseguera allows 0 ER (2 R) in 5.0 IP in his season debut.

Star-divide

AAA: Fresno defeated Iowa 9-2

Fresno: CF Andres Torres: 2 for 4, BB, SO
Fresno: LF Clay Timpner: 1 for 3, 2 BB
Fresno: 1B Adam Witter: 2 for 5

Fresno: LHP Steve Hammond: 7.0 IP, 9 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 2 K
Iowa: LHP Jason Waddell: 1.2 IP, 2 K

Torres played nine innings for the first time during his rehab stint. Both he and Timpner, who occupied the first two spots in the batting lineup, reached base three times. Torres and Witter were the two Grizzlies with multi-hit lines. Witter is now hitting .286/.365/.446 through his first 56 AB in the PCL. He has just 3 XBH, although they have all been HRs.

Hammond had his longest start of the year with 7.0 IP. Despite matching season highs with 9 H and 4 BB, he allowed just two runs, improving his ERA to 4.32. Waddell, the former Giants farmhand who joined the Cubs organization this off-season as a minor league free agent, had one of his best appearances of the season. In his first year in the PCL, he now has 15 H, 7 BB, and 9 K in 15.2 IP with a 5.17 ERA through 17 appearances.

AA: Connecticut defeated Binghamton 7-3

Connecticut: 3B Brad Boyer: 4 for 5, 2 2B, PO
Connecticut: 2B Sharon Schoop: 3 for 4, 2B, SO

Connecticut: RHP Henry Sosa: 6.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K

Boyer and Schoop combined for seven of the Defenders' fifteen hits, raising their respective AVGs to .223 and .289.

Sosa had not allowed an earned run in three of his last four starts, lowering his ERA to 1.85 ERA. He pitched into the 6th inning for the second time this year among his eight starts. His strikeout rate is down this year. In his previous three seasons, which encompass all of his pro career since being promoted from the DSL to the AZL, he has had a K/IP above 1.00. Currently, his K/IP ratio is 67%. After a 3/12 GO/FO line, his GO/AO ratio is now 0.62.

A+: San Jose lost to Inland Empire 8-4

San Jose: DH Buster Posey: 2 for 4, HR
San Jose: 1B Angel Villalona: 0 for 4, 2 SO
San Jose: LF Thomas Neal: 1 for 3, BB
San Jose: 3B Conor Gillaspie: 1 for 3, BB, SO
San Jose: C Trent Kline: 0 for 0, 2 BB, E

San Jose: RHP Garrett Broshuis: 4.2 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 K--1 HR
San Jose: RHP Craig Whitaker: 2.2 IP, 1 BB, 3 K--1 WP
Inland Empire: RHP Chris Withrow: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 5 K

Posey hit his 7th HR and had the Giants only multi-hit line. With a seven-game hitting streak, he has improved his season line to .307/.388/.520 through 150 AB. Also reaching base twice were Neal, Gillaspie and Kline, even though Kline had just two plate appearance before being lifted for a pinch hitter in the 6th inning. Villalona was the only Giants starter not to reach base, and the pair of strikeouts raised his SO/AB ratio above 20.0%.

After allowing just 13 H in 19.2 IP in his previous seven appearances, Broshuis allowed 8 H in his second start of the season. He has issued 4 BB as a starter after 0 BB in his six relief appearances. His ERA nearly doubled but remains below 2.25. Whitaker faced just eight batter to get eight outs, including inducing an inning-ending GiDP from the first batter he faced with the bases loaded. Withrow, whom the Dodgers drafted 20th overall two years ago and whom BA rated as the Dodgers' #9 prospect to begin this season, had his longest start of the season, allowing just 1 ER despite issuing a season-high 4 BB. Through seven appearances (six starts), his peripheral stats are better than his 6.25 ERA would indicate with 29 H, 18 BB, and 40 K in 31.2 IP. The walk rate is pretty high, but so is the strikeout rate.

A-: Augusta defeated Greenville 8-3
(after scoring six runs in the 6th inning)

Augusta: SS Ehire Adrianza: 2 for 4, 2 SO, 2 SB
Augusta: C Matt Klimas: 2 for 4, SO, E, PB

Augusta: LHP Paul Oseguera: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 K--1 WP
Greenville: RHP John Smoltz: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K--1 WP
Greenville: RHP Stolmy Pimentel: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K--1 E

Adrianza and Klimas each had two of the GreenJackets' nine hits, improving their respective AVGs to .259 and .305. For Adrianza, it was his first multi-hit game in over a week. He is hitting .241 through 54 AB in May after having a .278 AVG in 54 AB in April. He now has a 5/0 SB/CS line this year. Klimas had his 3rd error and his 6th passed ball.

Oseguera, who was limited by injuries to eight starts and eleven relief appearances for Connecticut a year ago, made his first appearance of the season, pitching five very good innings in his first start of the year. At 25 years old, he would be one of the older players in the Sally League, but he is still just a kid in comparison to his opposing starter, John Smoltz, the likely future Hall of Famer, who made his first rehab appearance of the season. Smoltz faced just one batter over the minimim (a Juan Perez single) before giving way to Pimentel, whom BA rated as the Red Sox' #11 prospect to begin the year. Pimentel's error led to six unearned runs in his final inning of work. Despite a .343 BAA, Pimentel has a sub-2.00 ERA through 32.0 IP.

Much thanks to Steve S at McCovey Chronicles (http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2009/5/22/883364/minor-lines-5-21-09) for the stats and write-up.

CJSchneider
05-22-2009, 07:53 PM
What are your favorite Giant moments that you were able to see?

1. Bonds passes Ruth
2. Bay Bridge Series
3. Will Clark hits a Grand slam in the 1989 NLCS
4. Dave Dravecky makes a comeback
5. Kevin Mitchell's one handed catch

Brent
05-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Off the top of my head:

-Giants win the NLDS & NLCS and go on to the WS
-Bonds' monster HR in that WS that went over the lights
-All those big Bonds' HR moments, collectively
-Noah Lowry going 6-0 as a rookie
-a year ago, for my birthday, I went to that Giants/Astros game where Timmy struck out 10 in six innings... even if they lost

We've had a rough decade.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
05-23-2009, 11:27 AM
1. Giants winning the NLCS
2. J.T. Snow home run against the Mets
3. Bonds home run in Yankee Stadium
4. Jason Schmidt's 16 ks against Florida
5. 2003 San Francisco Giants going wire to wire with the division.....and of course breaking my heart for another year in a row.
Also Lincecum has been a highlight to watch since his first start.

It's depressing because we could list more sad moments then good.

Brent
05-23-2009, 11:56 AM
How the **** do you give up ONE RUN in ELEVEN INNINGS and NOT win a game?

This is why I didnt pay as close attention as I should over the past couple years.

Borat
05-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Giants prospect stats for 5/27/09 (keep in mind that if you don't see a particular prospect listed, that's because he either did nothing that day, or didn't play)

Highlights: (a) Tim Alderson makes his fourth start in the upper minors; (b) John Bowker reaches base twice in both games of a doubleheader; (c) Adam Witter has his 4th HR; (d) Paul Oseguera has 10 K in his second start of the year, albeit against younger competition.

Star-divide

AAA: Fresno lost to Omaha 1-0 (7 innings) in game 1

Fresno: 1B John Bowker: 1 for 2, BB, CS
Fresno: SS Jake Wald: 1 for 2, SO, SB
Omaha: 1B Kila Ka'aihue: 2 for 3, 2B

Fresno: LHP Steven Hammond: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K--1 HB
Fresno: RHP Osiris Matos: 1.0 IP
Omaha: LHP Bruce Chen: 7.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K--1 PO

In the opener, Bowker's single, Bowker's walk, and Wald's single accounted for all three Grizzlies baserunners. The Royals' Kaiahue had two hits, including his 12th double, to raise his AVG to .285.

Hammond has allowed 2 ER or less in eight of his nine starts, but his ERA remains above 4.00. With 2 BB, he snapped a string of three straight starts with 4 BB in each. In May, his K/BB ratio remains just 0.67. Matos got three fly ball outs while facing four batters in a scoreless 6th inning. The nearly 32-year-old Chen had his most effective start of the season. Making his ninth start, he had a season-high 8 K, a season-low 2 H and a season-low 0 ER. He faced just two batters over the minimum, but his season ERA remains above 4.00.

AAA: Fresno defeated Omaha 7-5 (7 innings) in game 2

Fresno: 1B John Bowker: 2 for 4
Fresno: C Adam Witter: 2 for 3, HR

Fresno: RHP Matt Kinney: 6.1 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 4 K--2 HR

With two hits each, Bowker and Witter were the only two Grizzlies to reach base twice. They raised their respective AVGs to .312 and .269. In the 1st inning, Witter had his 4th HR.

Kinney had his longest start of the season with 6.1 IP. He improved his W-L record to 3-5 after ten starts, although he remains very susceptible to the long ball with 11 HR in 51.1 IP.

AA: Connecticut lost to Binghamton 6-5 (11 innings)

Connecticut: CF Mike McBryde: 2 for 4, BB, 2 SO
Connecticut: SS Sharlon Schoop: 2 for 5, 2B
Connecticut: C Jackson Williams: 1 for 3, 2 BB

Connecticut: RHP Tim Alderson: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K--1 HB
Connecticut: RHP Waldis Joaquin: 0.2 IP, 2 K

With two hits each, McBryde and Schoop accounted for nearly half of the Defenders' nine hits. After hitting just .233 in 43 AB in April, Schoop has raised his season AVG to .309 by hitting .370 in 54 AB in May. McBryde and Williams both reached base three times.

Since having 0 H and 10 K in his first Eastern League start, Alderson has been more hittable in his subsequent three starts with 18 H and 11 K in 12.1 IP. Still, he allowed just 1 ER tonight, maintaining his sub-2.00 ERA. Joaquin had had only 1 K in his previous seven appearances, but he struck out both hitters he faced in this game, stranding both of his inherited runners.

A+: San Jose lost to Visalia 3-1

San Jose: C Buster Posey: 1 for 3, 2B, SO
San Jose: 1B Angel Villalona: 0 for 3, 2 SO, GiDP

San Jose: RHP Oliver Odle: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K--1 WP
Visalia: RHP Josh Collmenter: 9.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K

Posey, who is generally considered the Giants' best hitting prospect, had his 13th double of the season. No one reached base twice for the Giants, whose offense was limited to Posey's double, three singles, and a walk. Villalona, who is generally considered the Giants' second best hitting prospect, had a much rougher evening, striking out in two of his plate appearances and GiDP'ing in the other.

Odle pitched six full innings for the fourth time in eight starts, but he was the tough luck loser, dropping his W-L record to 2-5. A strike-thrower, the walk tonight was his his second walk in his last five starts. Collmenter, whom the D'backs selected in the 15th round two years ago, had perhaps his best start of the season, improving his ERA to 3.38 and his W-L record to 6-2.

A-: Augusta defeated Asheville 9-3

Augusta: DH Mike Loberg: 1 for 3, HR, 2 BB
Augusta: 1B Andy D'Alessio: 1 for 3, HR, BB, CS

Augusta: LHP Paul Oseguera: 7.0 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 10 K--1 WP

On an evening when every GreenJacket in the lineup had a hit, the two lines that stand out come from two relatively older sluggers, with Loberg and D'Alessio, who both are 24 years old, connecting for their 2nd HRs of the year.

Also too old for this level, the 25-year-old Oseguera was fairly dominant in his second start of the season, striking out 10 of the 28 batters he faced.

Much thanks to Steve S at McCovey Chronicles (http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2009/5/27/891123/minor-lines-5-27-09#comments) for the stats and write-up.

Borat
05-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Also, Madison Bumgarner made another start over the weekend and dominated:

Connecticut: LHP Madison Bumgarner: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K--1 PO

This kid is soooooo good. Can't wait to see him destroy the majors.

FG4prez
05-29-2009, 07:37 AM
I wonder what is the difference betwen him and lincecum. why are they being so much more cautious? the faster we can find out how he is in the majors the faster we can feel comfortable trading sanchez or even cain. I want adrian gonzalez on this team.

Borat
05-29-2009, 10:36 AM
I wonder what is the difference betwen him and lincecum. why are they being so much more cautious? the faster we can find out how he is in the majors the faster we can feel comfortable trading sanchez or even cain. I want adrian gonzalez on this team.

Lincecum went to 4 years of college. Bumgarner is in his second year removed from high school. If he keeps progressing at this rate, he'll reach the majors at a younger age than Lincecum. They aren't really being cautious with Bumgarner. They started him at low A ball last year, then started him at high A ball this year for a month and have now moved him up to AA. That's pretty much considered fast-tracking him.

I really don't think we're trading Cain. At least not during the season. He'll have a ton of value in the upcoming offseason if they want to deal him, but I still doubt we trade him. I think he's the No. 2 starter for the foreseeable future. Sanchez should be traded at the deadline. We could get some awesome prospects for him if we wait until then.

And I would love to land Adrian Gonzalez, but SD isn't trading him inside the division. Sucks for us.

Brent
05-29-2009, 10:59 AM
I hope we dont trade Cain. I'd like if they took the Braves approach, and keep good pitchers on the roster and just load up at pitching.

FG4prez
05-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Ah good point Borat. Forgot about the age difference.
I never really understood the whole not trading within divisıon strategy. Is a guy going to be extra motivated to hit or throw a baseball because it is a team that traded him? I would be more hesitant to trade a pitcher or a catcher because of a deeper knowledge of their teams pitchers but really that would be my only concern. Lets face it legitimate dislike of another team by players at least in baseball and basketball is mostly dead anyways.They all understand its part of the business. Thoughts?

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
05-30-2009, 11:25 AM
I hope we dont trade Cain. I'd like if they took the Braves approach, and keep good pitchers on the roster and just load up at pitching.

I am always stuck in between on what to do with Cain. His value is through the roof right now and looking at the FA market next season there is not a decent bat that could fill the Giants power void. Yet, knowing Sabean, I doubt he could bring back a decent offer for Cain. I wouldn't mind seeing Sabs dangle Sanchez and Henry Sosa out there and see if he could get a young bat.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
05-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Ah good point Borat. Forgot about the age difference.
I never really understood the whole not trading within divisıon strategy. Is a guy going to be extra motivated to hit or throw a baseball because it is a team that traded him? I would be more hesitant to trade a pitcher or a catcher because of a deeper knowledge of their teams pitchers but really that would be my only concern. Lets face it legitimate dislike of another team by players at least in baseball and basketball is mostly dead anyways.They all understand its part of the business. Thoughts?

I think it has to do with how many you play teams within your own division. Example would be if SD traded A Gone to the Giants, they would have to play against A Gone 15 times this season compared to a team like Cubs who they probably only play between 6-9 times a season. Not that big of difference but those games play a big role in trying to win your own division. Also vice versa I could see SF being reluctant to hand over any long term prospects to the Pads and help regrow their farm system for the next few years.

Borat
05-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Giants prospect stats for 5/29/09 (keep in mind that if you don't see a particular prospect listed, that's because he either did nothing that day, or didn't play)

Lots of highlights tonight. The Giants top prospect (a) Madison Bumgarner won another start, although not as impressively as his past two starts. Each of the other three affiliates all received an impressive start, with (b) Pat Misch having five shutout innings, (c) Scott Barnes being rather unhittable, and (d) Eric Surkamp pitching into the 8th inning. Four Giants farmhands had a homer and a double among three hits: (e) Angel Villalona, (f) Nick Noonan, (g) Jesus Guzman, and (h) Mike McBryde. Finally, (i) Wendell Fairley and (j) Bobby Felmy both reached base four times.

AAA: Fresno defeated Portland 5-0

Fresno: 1B Jesus Guzman: 3 for 4, HR, 2B
Fresno: 3B Ryan Rohlinger: 1 for 3, HR, BB

Fresno: LHP Pat Misch: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K--1 HB
Fresno: RHP Ronnie Ray: 1.0 IP, 1 K
Fresno: RHP Osiris Matos: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K

Back in the minors, Guzman had a big game. With three of the Grizzlies' eight hits, including his 7th HR and 13th double, he improved his AVG to .373. Rohlinger added his 5th HR.

Making his first start of the year after fifteen relief apperances, including four in the majors, Misch was very efficient, throwing just 58 pitches (43 strikes) in five innings and facing just three batters over the minimum. He improved his PCL ERA to an even 2.00. With a perfect 6th inning, Ray improved his ERA to 2.66. Matos issued just his fourth walk of the season.

AA: Connecticut defeated Portland 10-3

Connecticut: SS Brandon Crawford: 0 for 5, 4 SO
Connecticut: LF Bobby Felmy: 2 for 3, 2 BB, CS
Connecticut: CF Mike McBryde: 3 for 5, HR, 2B
Portland: 1B Lars Anderson: 0 for 5, 3 SO, E

Connecticut: LHP Madison Bumgarner: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
Connecticut: RHP Brooks McNiven: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 K--2 HB
Connecticut: RHP Waldis Joaquin: 1.0 IP, 2 K
Portland: RHP T.J. Large: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 K

McBryde had his best game of the season. After just 2 XBH in his first 23 games this year, he his 1st HR and 2nd double of the season. In 33 AB since joining the Defenders, he now has a .303/.395/.424 line. Felmy reached base four times, but his OBP is still just .310. Crawford had his second sombrero against the Seas Dogs in the past week. He now has more strikeouts than hits since his promotion to the upper minors (21 H and 22 SO in 74 AB, .284 AVG). It was his second straight 0-for-5 game. The Red Sox' Anderson, whom a scout told BP's Kevin Goldstein earlier this week might be the most overrated prospect in baseball, suffered the oh-fer with the hat trick. He also has more strikeouts than hits (37 H and 41 SO in 159 AB, .233 AVG).

Bumgarner now has a 4-0 W-L record after four starts in the upper minors. Not so much tonight, but he has been hard to hit with 15 H and 24 K in 23.0 IP since joining the Defenders. McNiven made his first relief appearance after seven starts to begin the season. Joaquin had his second straight appearance with 2 K and no baserunners. T.J. Large, whom the Giants drafted in 2001 but did not sign, allowed three baserunners but is otherwise having a fine season with a 0.78 ERA through his first 23.0 IP over 20 appearances.

A+: San Jose defeated Visalia 10-2
(adding five insurance runs in the last two innings)

San Jose: SS Brian Bocock: 0 for 6, SO
San Jose: C Buster Posey: 0 for 5
San Jose: 1B Angel Villalona: 3 for 5, HR, 2B
San Jose: LF Thomas Neal: 3 for 5
San Jose: 2B Nick Noonan: 3 for 5, HR, 2B

San Jose: LHP Scott Barnes: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 K--1 WP
San Jose: LHP Wilmin Rodriguez: 1.2 IP, 1 K--1 WP

Villalona and Noonan, who was dropped to the seventh spot in the batting order, had the big nights, each with a homer and a double among their three hits. Villalona had his 7th HR and 8th double; Noonan had his 3rd HR and 7th double. The three hits raised Villalona's AVG back above .300. Neal also had three hits, as the bottom five hitters in the San Jose lineup went a combined 13 for 25. Batting leadoff and cleanup, Bocock and Posey went a combined 0 for 11. Bocock's AVG dropped to .211, but Posey's AVG remains above .300.

Barnes had perhaps his most effective start of the year. At least he had a season-high 6 K and a season-low 2 H as he got his ERA back under 4.00. He pitched six full innings for just the second time this year in nine starts. Rodriguez had 1.2 perfect IP to lower his own ERA to 3.43, but he did allow one of three inherited runners to score on his wild pitch.

A-: Augusta defeated Lexington 8-5

Augusta: CF Dom Duggan: 1 for 3, 2B, BB, SF, SO, E
Augusta: 3B Charlie Culberson: 1 for 5, 2 SO, E
Augusta: PH-1B Josh Mazzola: 1 for 2, 3B
Augusta: DH Andy D'Alessio: 0 for 5, 2 SO
Augusta: RF James Simmons: 2 for 5, 2B
Augusta: LF Wendell Fairley: 2 for 3, 2 BB, SO
Augusta: SS Ehire Adrianza: 1 for 4, BB, SO, E

Augusta: LHP Eric Surkamp: 7.0+ IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 8 K--1 HB
Augusta: RHP Shane Kaufmann: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 BB
Augusta: LHP Dan Runzler: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 3 K--1 HB, 1 WP

A few more lines than normal since I was at the game. Fairley smashed a couple hard-hit, line drive singles in his first two at bats, then drew a couple walks before striking out looking. He looked good, although his AVG remains below .250 in May. Simmons, the other GreenJacket with two hits, had perhaps his most impressive play defensively, chasing down a hard hit, deep fly ball in the right center field gap. This was the first time I had seen Adrianza, and he did nothing to impress me in this game. The error, his 12th error this year, was a throw into right-center field when trying to start a double play. Culberson's error, his 17th error, was charging a ground ball near the third base bag and then letting it go under his glove as he ran over the bag. The was the first time I had seen Culberson in person too, and he seemed bigger than I had imagined. He's listed at 185 lbs. Pinch hitting in the 6th inning, Mazzola provided the big offensive blow with a bases-loaded triple. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but Duggan faced a couple pitches that were way inside. His 3rd double was one of four XBH for the GreenJackets.

Surkamp pitched very effectively, better than his final line score would indicate. watching him warm up before the game, I thought he was struggling to locate his pitches. In the 1st inning, he allowed a couple singles, with a hit batter in between, to score a run with one out. After that, he settled in, retiring nineteen of the next 20 batters, allowing only a two-out double in the 5th inning before a two-out walk in the 7th inning. In the 8th inning, he was no longer able to locate his pitches and gave up three singles to the three batters he faced in the frame. Kaufman then entered and got a GiDP from the first batter he faced. He should then have gotten out of the inning, but the next batter reached on Culberson's error. After two more batters reached, Runzler was brought in. Another run scored on Runzler's wild pitch, before he struck out the final batter of the inning. In the 9th inning, Runzler put two runners on base to bring the tying run to the plate, but he struck out the final batter of the game to record his 9th save. Surkamp has the tall frame (6'4") that makes him look like a power pitcher, but his fastball topped out 85 mph from what I saw on the stadium scoreboard. In his final inning, it was closer to 82 mph. Based on previous experience and other information, I would surmise that the scoreboard gun was about 2-3 mph slow. The opposing starting pitcher hit 90 mph at least once on the scoreboard gun. Surkamp got a lot of swinging strikes in breaking pitches in the dirt that required the catcher to throw to first base for the out. On the season, Surkamp now has a very impressive K/BB ratio over 6.00 with 57 K and 9 BB in 44.2 IP. Kaufman showed a bit better fastball velocity, hitting around 88 mph on the stadium scoreboard. In the 8th inning, Runzler had his fastball around 87 mph but ramped it up to 92 mph, sitting more at 91 mph, in the 9th inning. If this turns out to be Runzler's final appearance in May, he had an impressive month with 2 H, 6 BB, 0 R, and 24 K in 12.1 IP over nine appearances.

Much thanks to Steve S at McCovey Chronicles (http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2009/5/29/893285/minor-lines-5-29-09#comments) for the stats and write-up.

CJSchneider
06-05-2009, 07:21 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090604&content_id=5147372&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Randy Johnson got #300. Gotta love the fact that we signed him. Dismal ERA this year or not, I love the fact that he is going to end his career in SF.

FG4prez
06-14-2009, 06:06 AM
5 games over .500! First time since 04. Molina should be an all star.

CJSchneider
06-14-2009, 02:24 PM
If the season ended before today's games, we would be facing L.A. in the playoffs.

KCJ58
06-14-2009, 02:47 PM
The Los Angeles Dodgers will win the NL West in 2009 :D

Borat
06-14-2009, 03:23 PM
If the season ended before today's games, we would be facing L.A. in the playoffs.

No, we wouldn't. The wildcard can't face it's own division winner in the first round. We'd be facing the Phillies.

Brent
06-14-2009, 05:01 PM
am I the only one that is shocked we would be in the playoffs, in that scenario?

CJSchneider
06-14-2009, 06:51 PM
The Los Angeles Dodgers will win the NL West in 2009 :D

Duck the fodgers, troll!

No, we wouldn't. The wildcard can't face it's own division winner in the first round. We'd be facing the Phillies.

I so meant to type Philly. I looked at the standings and had L.A. on the brain I guess.

CJSchneider
06-14-2009, 07:36 PM
am I the only one that is shocked we would be in the playoffs, in that scenario?

I'm not. Cain and Lincecum are a combined 15-2 with about a 2.60 ERA. Sandoval and Molina are both having decent years at the plate.

Madirishman
06-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Sabean will get a corner infielder with power if the Giants remain in contention for another month or so. There will be a few guys on the market with other teams falling out if their respective division races.

Their pitching is playoff caliber for sure.

Brent
06-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Can they trade for Hank Blalock? I ******* love that guy and he's a threat to hit a HR every time he's at the plate.

CJSchneider
06-15-2009, 01:58 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Giants-need-a-bat-eyeing-Beltre-Atkins-?urn=mlb,170044

This is already being discussed by the FO, trust me.

Borat
06-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Haven't done one of these in a while, so here ya go.

Giants prospect stats for 6/15/09 (keep in mind that if you don't see a particular prospect listed, that's because he either did nothing that day, or didn't play)

Highlights from the Giants' farm, sometimes known as the Neal and Posey show. Tonight (a) Buster Posey reached base in all four trips to the plate, and (b) Thomas Neal homered again. Co-starring in their show were (c) John Bowker, who also homered; (d) Roger Kieschnick, who had two doubles and a single; and (e) Josh Mazzola, who had three hits. Unfortunately, no pitcher was quite highlight worthy.

Star-divide

AAA: Fresno defeated Sacramento 6-5

Fresno: LF John Bowker: 2 for 4, HR
Fresno: 3B Ryan Rohlinger: 1 for 3, 2B, HBP
Sacramento: 2B Eric Patterson: 2 for 4, 3B, 2B, BB, SB, CS

Fresno: RHP Ryan Sadowski: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 K--1 WP
Fresno: RHP Osiris Matos: 1.0 IP, 2 K
Sacramento: RHP Jerome Williams: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 1 K--1 HR, 4 HB, 1 BK

Bowker was the only Grizzly with a multi-hit line, including his 9th HR. Rohlinger, one of three other Grizzlies to reach base twice, had his 21st double, which was the Grizzlies' other XBH. Patterson, who had 130 AB in the majors last year with the A's, had his 6th triple and 16th double to raise his AVG above .300. He now has a 26/6 SB/CS line.

After a dozen starts, Sadowski has still yet to allow more than 3 ER in a start this year. Tonight was not his best start, but he improved his W-L record to 5-2. Matos struck out two of the three batters he faced in a perfect 9th inning, raising his K/BB ratio above 3.00 for the season. Williams, the former Giant, continues to struggle to get his career back on track. After a 7.07 ERA in nine relief appearances, he made his first start of the season, yielding 6 ER against his former club that raised his ERA above 8.00.

AA: Connecticut had a scheduled off-day
(Its next scheduled off-day is June 22, the last of three consecutive Monday off-days.)

Defenders on Eastern League leaderboards in selected categories:
--Hitters:
AVG: Bond 12th, Martinez-Esteve 13th
OBP: Bond 5th
SLG: (none)
OPS: (none)
HR: (none)
BB: Bond 7th
AB: Pill 10th
SB: Bond 9th
--Pitchers:
ERA: Sosa 4th
WHIP: Sosa 11th
K: (none)
IP: (none)
BB: Foppert 6th
H: (none)
G: Paterson 11th, Otero 11th

A+: San Jose lost to Visalia 7-4

San Jose: LF Thomas Neal: 2 for 4, HR, SO
San Jose: C Buster Posey: 2 for 2, 2B, 2 BB
San Jose: RF Roger Kieschnick: 3 for 4, 2 2B, SO

San Jose: LHP Paul Oseguera: 6.1 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 7 K--2 HR, 1 HB
San Jose: RHP Dan Turpen: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 K--1 HR
San Jose: LHP Wilmin Rodriguez: 0.2 IP, 1 K

Neal and Posey continue to provide highlight-worthy lines on a nightly basis it seems. Tonight Neal had his 3rd HR in his last five games, his 5th HR of the month, and his 12th HR of the season. Meanwhile, Posey reached base in all four plate appearances, including his 19th double, further improving upon the .416 OBP with which he entered the night. He now has 225 AB so far this year and may have another 75 AB to log before a promotion. Kieschnick had slumped recently; but three hits tonight, including his 12th and 13th doubles, raised his season AVG back above .300 and his AVG for the month of June to .230.

In his second start for San Jose, Oseguera proved a little too hittable, allowing nine hits, including a three-run HR and a two-run HR. Turpen's ERA rose to a still impressive 1.40. Rodriguez continued his string of effective appearances. Over his last nine appearances, he has 4 H, 1 BB, 0 ER and 10 K in 10.0 IP

A-: Augusta lost to Charelston 11-4
(allowing eight runs over the final four innings)

Augusta: 1B-RF Josh Mazzola: 3 for 4
Augusta: 2B Vladimir Frias: 2 for 4, 2B

Augusta: RHP Mike Loree: 5.0+ IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 2 K--1 HB
Augusta: RHP Kyle Woodruff: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K--1 WP

Mazzola had three of the GreenJackets' nine hits, raising his AVG to .279. Frias's 4th double was the GreenJackets' only XBH, raising his SLG to an even .300 in 70 AB since his demotion to Augusta.

Loree allowed 3 ER through 5.0 IP and then failed to retire any of the three batters he facing in the 6th inning. His ERA rose to 4.33. Among the four GreenJackets' who appeared in the game, Woodruff is the only one who has an ERA of 5.75 or lower. His ERA is 2.45 after six appearances this year.

DSL: Giants lost to Red Sox 10-1

Dominican: CF Jesus Galindo: 2 for 2, 2B, 2 BB, E
Dominican: RHP Luiyin Perez: 3.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K--1 HR, 2 HB

Galindo (18.9 y.o.) reached base four times, raising his OBP to .463 through his first eleven pro games. Perez (20.2 y.o.) made his fourth relief appearance of the season. He now has a 3.65 ERA through 12.1 IP.

Much thanks to Steve S at McCovey Chronicles (http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2009/6/15/910789/minor-lines-6-15-09#comments) for the stats and write-up.

FG4prez
06-17-2009, 10:01 AM
always appreciated borat. whats the story with this thomas neal guy?
One rumor is that they will go after derek lee. sorry, no source, but I like this idea. Lee isnt going to hit a bunch of home runs at home, but no one really will. I think the cat has been out of that bag since the hr derby not so long ago. This is the same reason I like Nick Johnson. We just need a double-hitting rbi machine.
Another crappy start by Sanchez last night. He has REALLY struggled of late.

Borat
06-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah, Sanchez starts make me want to rip my eyes out. So brutal to watch.

I saw Neal live a couple of weeks ago and I was shocked at his size. He looks like a linebacker or running back. He's a beast. He wasn't really on my prospect radar, but he is now. I was really impressed by him and he's been tearing the cover off the ball in high A ball. Word is that Neal will be moving up to either AA or AAA after the minor-league all-star game which both are starting in. It's already been reported that Posey is going straight to AAA after he reaches 300 ABs.

Other thoughts on some of the San Jose Giants I saw:

Angel Villalona- This kid will be real good. He's so young and yet he's holding his own (again) this year. He really improved as the season went on last year at Low A and this year he's been hitting for power and average which I didn't expect from him at High A.

Nick Noonan - I was disappointed in him. His swing looked real loopy and he just seemed very meh. I had high hopes for him and there is still plenty of time, but I'm a little skeptical right now.

Conor Gillaspie - Has a great approach, but very little power. The comps to Bill Mueller are right on the money. He looks just like him at the plate.

Buster Posey - Stud. If he gets the promotion to AAA after his 300 abs in High A, he could be in SF by June of 2010, which will hold back his arbitration clock (same thing the Orioles did with Matt Wieters).

Roger Kieschnick - Good power and solid swing. K's a lot though. Kind of reminded me of a Mike Jacobs type player that can drive the ball with power, but you have to live with a lot of non-contact as well. He needs more seasoning, but the potential is there. I was actually pleasantly surprised with him.

I was bummed that Madison Bumgarner and Tim Alderson got promoted to AA before I got to see them. I was soooooo hoping to see those kids throw in person. But they were definitely too good for High A ball.

Borat
06-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Another badass start for Tim Alderson, check it out!

Giants prospect stats for 6/15/09 (keep in mind that if you don't see a particular prospect listed, that's because he either did nothing that day, or didn't play)

The top highlight on the Giants' farm yesterday was (a) Tim Alderson allowing just four baserunners in 7.0 shutout IP. Other highlights include (b) Garrett Broshuis also facing just four batters over the minimum in his 7.0 shutout IP, (c,d) Kevin Frandsen and Tyler Graham both homering while reaching base three times, (e) Kyle Nicholson allowing just 1 ER in 7.0 IP, and (f) Vladimir Frias reaching base in all four plate appearances.

AAA: Fresno lost to Sacramento 8-7 (10 innings)
(with both teams scoring in the 8th and 9th innings)

Fresno: 2B Kevin Frandsen: 2 for 4, HR, BB
Fresno: LF John Bowker: 1 for 4, HR, BB
Fresno: DH Joe Borchard: 2 for 4, HR, BB, SO
Sacramento: RF Travis Buck: 3 for 4, 2B, BB, SO

Fresno: RHP Ramon Ortiz: 5.0 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K--1 HR
Fresno: LHP Alex Hinshaw: 0.2 IP
Sacramento: RHP Henry Rodriguez: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 4 K

Three different Grizzlies homered--Bowker for his 10th HR, Frandsen for his 6th HR, and Borchard for his 5th HR. They also each drew a walk. Frandsen and Borchard also had the Grizzlies' only two multi-hit lines, as they improved their AVGs to .333 and .263. The A's' Buck, playing his sixth PCL game this year, had three hits and a walk. He has a .478 OBP with Sacramento after just a .301 OBP in 85 in the majors previously this year.

In his third start, Ortiz allowed a season-high 8 H. He also allowed 3 ER, but his ERA remains under 3.00. Hinshaw retired both batters he faced in the 10th inning but did allow an inherited runner to score the decisive run when the first batter had a sac fly. Rodriguez, whom BA ranked as the A's' #14 prospect to begin the year, made his tenth appearance of the season. So far he has impressive peripheral stats, with the strikeout rate in particular, with 11 H, 8 BB, and 30 K in 16.2 IP.

AA: Connecticut defeated Trenton 4-0
(after adding three insurance runs in the 8th inning)

Connecticut: 2B Brock Bond: 2 for 4
Connecticut: 1B Brett Pill: 3 for 4
Connecticut: RF Mike Mooney: 2 for 4, 2 SO, SB

Connecticut: RHP Tim Alderson: 7.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
Connecticut: LHP Ben Snyder: 2.0 IP, 2 BB
Trenton: RHP Zach McAllister: 7.1 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 8 K

Pill continues to swing a hot bat, although this was his first multi-hit line in ten days. He has an AVG above .320 since the start of May. His OPS for the season remains just under .800. Bond and Mooney also had multi-hit lines, improving their AVGs to .303 and .239.

Alderson had perhaps his best start since his upper minors debut when he did not allow a hit in 6.2 IP. This was the second time in seven starts for the Defenders that he has pitched at least seven full innings. The 2 BB did double his total as a Defender. Since joining Connecticut, his stat line now reads 34 H, 4 BB, and 34 K in 39.2 IP with a 1.82 ERA. In relief, Snyder finished the shutout facing just one batter over the minimum in two innings. He allowed a couple walks but got his ERA back below 2.00. McAllister, whom BA ranked as the Yankees' #6 prospect, had a fine start, allowing just one run through seven innings. Even with three runs in the 8th inning, his ERA remains just 1.81. The 21-year-old now has 63 H, 20 BB, and 57 K in 74.2 IP over his dozen starts.

A+: San Jose defeated Visalia 7-0

San Jose: DH Tyler Graham: 2 for 4, HR, BB, 2 SO, CS
San Jose: LF Thomas Neal: 3 for 5
San Jose: C Buster Posey: 2 for 4, BB, SB
San Jose: RF Roger Kieschnick: 1 for 4, HR
San Jose: 1B David Maroul: 3 for 4, 2 2B

San Jose: RHP Garrett Broshuis: 7.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K--1 HB
San Jose: LHP Dan Runzler: 1.0 IP, 1 K
San Jose: RHP Steven Edlefsen: 1.0 IP, 1 BB, 2 K

Graham led off the bottom of the 1st inning with his 5th HR. In the 6th inning, Kieschnick added his 10th HR. In the continuing "Neal and Posey show," they both reached base three times. Neal and Maroul each had three hits, accounting for half of the Giants' dozen hits and raising their respective AVGs to .352 and .286.

Broshuis had his four straight start pitching at least six full innings but his first start without allowing an earned run. In his six starts, he now 31 H, 8 BB and 21 K in 36.0 IP with a 3.00 ERA. Runzler and Edlefsen completed the shutout striking out three of the eight batters they faced.

A-: Augusta defeated Charleston 3-2
(scoring a run in the bottom of the 9th inning)

Augusta: CF Dom Duggan: 3 for 5, 3B, SO
Augusta: 2B Vladimir Frias: 3 for 3, 3B, BB, E

Augusta: RHP Kyle Nicholson: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
Augusta: RHP Edwin Quirarte: 1.0 IP, 1 BB, 1 K
Charleston: BHP Pat Venditte: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 K

Duggan and Frias each had three hits, including Duggan's 4th triple and Frias's 2nd triple. They accounted for half of the GreenJackets' dozen hits, but both still have AVGs below .250.

Nicholson made another extended start. He had pitched at least seven full innings in eight of his last nine starts. With just 4 H in 7.0 IP in each of his two starts, his H/IP ratio is now below 1.00 (BAA of .261). Quirarte pitched a scoreless 9th inning in his third SAL appearance. Venditte has become somewhat infamous for his ability to pitch with either arm. He's had such a good season that he was named to the SAL all-star game. He suffered his second loss of the season last night, but his ERA remains below 1.00.

DSL: Giants defeated Royals 5-1

Dominican: LF Eduardo Lopez: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
Dominican: RHP Miguel Ferrer: 7.0 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 10 K

Batting cleanup, Lopez (18.3 y.o.) had his first XBH in nearly two weeks. In his first pro season, he is hitting .183/.300/.267 through his first 60 AB. Making his third start of the season, Ferrer (18.10 y.o.) had an outstanding start. He now has 13 H, 0 BB, 4 ER, and 16 K in 17.0 IP.

Much thanks to Steve S at McCovey Chronicles (http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2009/6/17/912350/minor-lines-6-16-09) for the stats and write-up.

Brent
06-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Downs was brought up to be the every day 2nd baseman. We'll see how that turns out. I dont care who does well, I just want someone to succeed in that spot.

CJSchneider
06-17-2009, 12:45 PM
How I miss the days of Robby Thompson at second base.

Brent
06-18-2009, 12:40 AM
How I miss the days of Robby Thompson at second base.
dont even remind me... Trevor Hoffman tried to kill him and I am sticking to that story

CJSchneider
06-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Robby never was the same after that, not to mention it cut the great season he was having in 93 short.

Brent
06-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Zito looked great today

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
06-25-2009, 09:02 AM
2nd best record in the NL baby!!!!!!!

Borat
06-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Giants prospect stats for 6/25/09 (keep in mind that if you don't see a particular prospect listed, that's because he either did nothing that day, or didn't play)

Highlights from the Giants' farm: It was a good night for starting pitchers with each of the four full-season affiliates: (a) Madison Bumgarner allowed 1 ER in 8.0 IP; (b) Kevin Pucetas allowed 1 ER in 7.0+ IP; (c) Craig Clark allowed 1 ER in 6.0 IP; and (d) Kyle Nicholson allowed 2 ER in 7.1 IP. There were several highlight-worthy hitting performances too: (e) Eugenio Velez had 3 XBH; (f) Roger Kieschnich had his 13th HR while reaching base three times; and (g) Josh Mazzola homered twice.

AAA: Fresno defeated Salt Lake 5-2

Fresno: 2B Emmanuel Burriss: 2 for 4, SF, SB
Fresno: LF John Bowker: 0 for 2, 3 BB, SO
Fresno: DH Joe Borchard: 2 for 5, 2B, SO
Fresno: CF Eugenio Velez: 3 for 4, 3B, 2 2B

Fresno: RHP Kevin Pucetas: 7.0+ IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Frenso: LHP Alex Hinshaw: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB

Velez had three XBH, improving upon the .364 SLG with which he entered the game. Burriss and Borchard also had multi-hit lines, while Bowker walked three times. Bowker is now hitting .354/.453/.613 through 240 AB.

Pucetas had seven shutout inning before allowing a run in the 8th inning. He now has a 3.41 ERA after fifteen starts. He threw 65 of 97 pitches for strikes, while Hinshaw threw just 6 of 13 pitches for strikes.

AA: Connecticut defeated Portland 7-2

Connecticut: LF Bobby Felmy: 2 for 4, 2B, BB
Connecticut: 1B Brett Pill: 2 for 4, 2 2B, BB
Connecticut: SS Brandon Crawford: 2 for 4, 2B, SO

Connecticut: LHP Madison Bumgarner: 8.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K--1 PO

Felmy, Pill, and Crawford each had two hits, and they combined for four of the Defenders' seven doubles in this game. Pill now has 23 doubles this season.

Bumgarner's thirteenth start of the year was his longest start so far. In eight innings, he faced just three batters over the minimum. He allowed a run in the 1st inning, but then never more than one baserunner in an inning after that. For the season, his peripheral stats are now 55 H, 16 BB, and 61 K in 70.1 IP.

A+: San Jose defeated Stockton 3-2

San Jose: DH Roger Kieshnick: 2 for 3, HR, BB, IBB, SB
San Jose: 1B Angel Villalona: 0 for 4, 3 SO
San Jose: 3B Conor Gillaspie: 2 for 4, 2 2B, SO
Stockton: 2B Jemile Weeks: 1 for 4, HR, 2 SO
Stoctkon: CF Grant Desme: 1 for 3, HR, SO

San Jose: RHP Joe Martinez: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K--1 HR
San Jose: LHP Craig Clark: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 K--1 HR
Stoctkon: RHP Tyson Ross: 6.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K--1 HR

Kieschnick and and Gillaspie each had two of the Giants' five hits, including Kieschnick's 13th HR and Gillaspie's 12th and 13th doubles. Gillaspie entered the night hitting .295/.436/.377 this month in 61 AB. Villalona has been overly prone to striking out recently. In his last ten games, he has struck out in nearly half his plate appearances with 10 H, 0 BB, and 18 SO in 41 AB. For the A's' affiliate, Weeks, the 12th overall pick a year ago, had his 7th HR; and Desme, the A's' second round pick two years ago, homered in his Cal League debut.

Facing just one batter over the minimum in three innings, Martinez struck out five of the ten batters he faced in his second rehab appearance. Clark picked up with the "start" in the 4th inning. With 8 K in 6.0 IP, he kept his K/IP ratio comfortably above 1.00. Ross entered the season considered the top prospect on the Stockton roster, but he has an ERA over 4.50 after thirteen starts.

A-: Augusta defeated Rome 7-6 (11 innings)

Augusta: 3B Charlie Culberson: 3 for 5, HBP, SO, CS, E
Augusta: 1B Josh Mazzola: 2 for 5, 2 HR, SO
Augusta: C Johnny Monell: 2 for 4, HR

Augusta: RHP Kyle Nicholson: 7.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
Augusta: RHP Edwin Quirarte: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K--1 IBB, 1 HB
Augusta: RHP Shane Kaufman: 1.0 IP, 2 K

Culberson paced the GreenJackets with three of their dozen hits, but his AVG remains just below .250. He also committed his 23rd error. Mazzola had his 6th and 7 HRs, while Monell had his 2nd HR--all three of them two-run homers.

Nicholson allowed just two runs through seven innings, before he and Quirarte combined to allowed four runs in the 8th inning. An innings-eater, Nicholson has pitched at least seven innings in nine of his last ten starts. Quirarte retired just two of the seven batters he faced. After striking out two batters in a perfect 11th inning, Kaufman, the Giants' 28th round pick a year ago, has pitched very well this month with 7 H, 2 BB, 2 R, and 12 K in 11.0 IP. His season ERA is now below 5.00.

ssA: Salem-Keizer lost to Boise 5-4
(allowing two runs in both the 8th and 9th innings)

Salem-Keizer: SS John Eshelman: 2 for 3, 2B, BB

Salem-Keizer: RHP Orlando Yntema: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

Eshelman, the 20-year-old whom the Giants selected in the 11th round this year out of a junior college, reached base three times in his second pro game.

Yntema, who started the season-opener for the Volcanoes five days ago, made his second start of the season, pitching six solid innings.

R: Giants lost to Angels 5-3

Scottsdale: C Jesus Navarro: 2 for 3, SO

Scottsdale: RHP Andrew Romo: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
Scottsdale: LHP Steven Calicutt: 1.2 IP, 2 K

Navarro, who hit .303 in 76 AB a year ago in the AZL, had two of the rookie Giants' five hits.

Romo, the 20-year-old younger brother of Sergio, got the start in his pro debut. The Giants signed him earlier this month after he was playing in the independent Golden Baseball League. Calicutt, who missed a year following injury (Tommy John?) made his second appearance, striking out two in 1.2 perfect IP.

DSL: Giants lost to Yankees1 15-6

Dominican: CF Robedluis Fuentes: 3 for 5, 2B, CS
Dominican: LHP Keurin Feliz: 4.2 IP, 8 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 0 BB, 3 K--3 HR, 1 WP

After three hits today, Fuentes (20.9 y.o.) is hitting .254/.373/.317 through his first 63 AB this year. Feliz (18.10 y.o.) has now allowed 15 ER in his past two starts to balloon his ERA over 8.00.

Much thanks to Steve S at McCovey Chronicles (http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2009/6/25/925842/minor-lines-6-25-09) for the stats and write-up.

Brent
06-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Sadowski looked great and kept the series from getting too ugly.

Madirishman
06-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Yep, it was a very young squad out there yesterday who got the job done. Very promising.

FG4prez
06-30-2009, 04:21 AM
He threw a 95 pitch complete game shutout.
Who is Mr. Tim Lincecum?

To think we could have alex rios instead of him

Borat
07-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Giants prospect stats for 6/30/09 (keep in mind that if you don't see a particular prospect listed, that's because he either did nothing that day, or didn't play)

The daily highlight: (a) John Bowker homered while reaching base four times for the second straight day. Now to other highlights from the Giants' farm: (b) Pucetas did not allow an earned run in 7.0 IP; (c) Brett Pill had a triple, double and single; (d) Henry Sosa did not allow a run in his start; (e) Thomas Neal has three XBHs; and (f) Andrew Biery reached base in all five plate appearances.

AAA: Fresno defeated Salt Lake 4-1

Fresno: LF John Bowker: 2 for 4, HR, 2 BB, CS
Fresno: DH Joe Borchard: 2 for 4, 3B
Salt Lake: 1B Brandon Wood: 1 for 2, 2B, BB

Fresno: RHP Kevin Pucetas: 7.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Fresno: RHP Ronnie Ray: 1.0 IP, 2 K

Another big game for Bowker. For the second night in a row, he homered while reaching base in all four plate appearances. He finished June hitting .392/.479/.843 in 102 AB this month. Borchard, the other other Grizzly to reach base twice, had two hits to raise his AVG back above .250. For the Angels' affiliate, Wood's double and walk accounted for two of their five baserunners.

Pucetas had another fine start, improving his ERA to 3.17. Tonight he had a 12/6 GO/FO line, but his GO/AO ratio for the season is not much above 1.00. He's enjoyed a lot of success considering how many fly ball outs he gets (as opposed to strikeouts or groundball outs). Ray had his third straight game with multiple strikeouts.

AA: Connecticut lost to Harrisburg 4-3

Connecticut: 2B Brock Bond: 2 for 4, 2B
Connecticut: 1B Brett Pill: 3 for 4, 3B, 2B

Connecticut: RHP Henry Sosa: 5.1 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K--1 HB
Connecticut: RHP Dan Griffin: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB--1 HR, 1 HB

With multi-hit lines in seven of his last eight games, Pill finished June on a tear. Tonight's line included his 1st triple and 25th double, raising his SLG to .498. A year ago in the more hitter-friendly Cal League, his SLG was just .395. Bond was the other Defender to reach base twice. Both Bond and Pill hit close to .370 in June.

Sosa pitched at least five full innings once again, something he accomplished in all ten of his starts in May and June, although he has yet to pitch into the 7th inning this year. In May and June, he combined for 46 H, 20 BB, and 31 K in 55.1 IP with a 2.11 ERA. After a 5/8 GO/FO line tonight, his GO/AO ratio for the year is just 0.59. Like Pucetas, he has a very good ERA despite getting a high proportion of his outs as fly balls. Griffin retired just one of the five batters he faced before being ejected in the 6th inning. His peripheral stats are generally pretty good, but his ERA is 5.80.

A+: San Jose defeated Modesto 13-1

San Jose: SS Brian Bocock: 2 for 4, 2B, BB, SO
San Jose: LF Thomas Neal: 3 for 5, 3B, 2 2B, SO
San Jose: 1B Angel Villalona: 3 for 5
San Jose: CF Darren Ford: 3 for 4, 3B

San Jose: RHP Joe Martinez: 4.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K

Neal had a huge game with his 3rd triple and 21st and 22nd doubles, raising his SLG to .612. Villalona and Ford also had three hits each, improving their AVGs to .275 and .217. Bocock was a fourth Giant to reach base three times.

Pitching on four days rest, Martinez made his third and longest rehab appearance. In his three rehab starts, he has 7 H, 2 BB, 5 R and 8 K in 10.0 IP.

A-: Augusta defeated Lexington 7-2

Augusta: CF Dom Duggan: 2 for 4, 2B, HBP, SB
Augusta: LF Wendell Fairley: 2 for 3, BB, SO

Augusta: RHP Eric Stolp: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
Augusta: RHP Edwin Quirarte: 1.0 IP
Lexington: RHP Ross Seaton: 5.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K--1 HB, 2 WP

Duggan and Fairley both reached base three times, although both still have AVGs appreciably below .250.

Stolp made his first start in twelve days, the result of being the last starter in the GreenJackets' rotation scheduled around the all-star break. Quirarte pitched a perfect 9th inning. On the first day of June, the Astros' Season pitched a complete-game, three-hit shutout against the GreenJackets. This time he did not fare quite as well.

ssA: Salem-Keizer defeated Vancouver 8-4

Salem-Keizer: 3B Andrew Biery: 3 for 3, BB, HBP
Salem-Keizer: DH Ryan Mantle: 0 for 5, SO

Salem-Keizer: RHP Orlando Yntema: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R,1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
Salem-Keizer: RHP Jose Casilla: 1.0 IP, 2 K

Biery (22nd rounder) reached base in all five of his plate appearances. After going hitless in his first three pro games, he now has a six-game hitting streak to raise his AVG to .367 through 30 AB. After tonight's oh-fer, Mantle, a late round draftee a year ago, is now just 1 for 17 to start this season.

Yntema made his second straight start allowing just 1 ER. The 20-year-old Casilla, who was limited to just eight appearances (five starts) last year has yet to allow a baserunner in his five appearances this year.

R: Giants at Angels suspended after three innings due to a power problem

Scottsdale: CF Evan Crawford: 2 for 2, SB

Scottsdale: RHP Bryan Salsbury: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K--1 WP

Batting leadoff in his second pro game, Crawford (9th rounder) had two of the rookie Giants' three base hits. He also had his 1st pro steal.

In his first pro start after two relief appearances, Salsbury (14th rounder) faced just one batter over the minimum.

DSL: Giants lost to Blue Jays 5-4 (10 innings)

Dominican: C Rey Duran: 2 for 5, SO
Dominican: LHP Ebert Fernandez: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 2 K--1 WP

Duran (19.11 y.o.) had the Gigantes' only multi-hit line, leaving his AVG just a few points shy of .300. Fernandez (18.8 y.o.) has a 4.39 ERA after four starts.

Much thanks to Steve S at McCovey Chronicles (http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2009/7/1/931659/minor-lines-6-30-09#comments) for the stats and write-up.

Brent
07-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Second best record in the NL, 6th in the entire MLB.

Not too shabby.

Madirishman
07-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah, especially considering the biggest bat we have is Sandoval.

CJSchneider
07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Second best record in the NL, 6th in the entire MLB.

Not too shabby.

Pitching is what is doing the trick this year.

GB12
07-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah, especially considering the biggest bat we have is Sandoval.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Sandoval would be the best hitter on a number of teams.

Madirishman
07-01-2009, 08:11 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing. Sandoval would be the best hitter on a number of teams.

Please name them.

I love Kung Fu Panda, and I think he has a Tony Gwynn-type ceiling but he is still a rookie. He needs some protection in the lineup as he has quickly made a name for himself and teams are starting to pitch around him more. The Giants need another big bat (or two) to help drive in runs. The pitching is keeping them in every game.

Brent
07-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Ugh... I feel like every time I watch the Giants, I see a game where they lose.

CJSchneider
07-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Ugh... I feel like every time I watch the Giants, I see a game where they lose.

Don't watch anymore games then damn it; get a radio and listen instead.

Brent
07-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Don't watch anymore games then damn it; get a radio and listen instead.
my parents have HD! I wouldnt I watch it? I saw the Lincecum game a few nights ago, but the majority of the time, it feels like they lose.

Borat
07-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Bumgarner with another excellent outing, 7 inning shutout.

Giants prospect stats for 7/2/09 (keep in mind that if you don't see a particular prospect listed, that's because he either did nothing that day, or didn't play)

The obvious highlights from the Giants' farm is (a) Madison Bumgarner's first complete-game shutout, albeit in seven innings. The other imporant highlight was (b,c) Scott Barnes and T.J. Brewer combining for 15 K in a combined shutout. Perhaps the top hitting line for the night was (d) Nick Noonan having a couple XBH.

AAA: Fresno lost to Sacramento 5-1

Fresno: C Steve Holm: 1 for 3, 2B
Fresno: DH Brian Horwitz: 1 for 3, 2B
Sacramento: RF Aaron Cunningham: 2 for 4, HR, SO, SB
Sacramento: LF Chris Denorfia: 1 for 4, HR

Fresno: RHP Garrett Broshuis: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 2 K--2 HR
Fresno: RHP Osiris Matos: 1.0 IP, 1 H
Sacramento: RHP James Simmons: 9.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 Er, 1 BB, 3 K

No one reached base twice for the Grizzlies, but Holm and Horwitz had back-to-back doubles in the 5th inning to score the team's only run. Cunningham and Denorfia, who both have seen some time in the majors with the Athletics this year, homered. The 23-year-old Cunningham has a .304/.358/.570 line through 135 AB in the PCL this year.

In his PCL debut, Broshuis allowed 4 ER in 4.0 IP, including a couple big flies. Matos allowed a leadoff double in the 7th inning but did not allow a run. Simmons began the year ranked among the Athletics' top ten prospects but has not performed up that to billing with an ERA above 5.00 in April, May and June. But he has been better over his last four starts with 23 H, 4 BB, 7 ER and 12 K in 27.0 IP. Last night he pitched his first complete game, throwing 71 of 107 pitches for strikes.

AA: Connecticut defeated Harrisburg 4-0 (7 innings) in game 1

Connecticut: 1B Brett Pill: 2 for 4, 2B
Connecticut: 3B Ramon Castro: 3 for 3, 2 2B

Connecticut: LHP Madison Bumgarner: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 5 K

Pill and Castro combined for five of the Defenders' nine hits and all three of their XBHs, including Pill's 26th double of the season, which tied him for the organization lead.

Bumgarner pitched his first complete-game shutout, facing just five batters over the minimum. Bumgarner began his stint in the upper minors with three straight quality starts, then had four less than quality starts, and now has had his two longest starts of the season. With the 3 BB, his K/BB ratio did slip below 3.00, but his BAA remains an impressive .209. He further lowered his ERA to 1.70.

AA: Connecticut defeated Harrisburg 2-1 (8 innings) in game 2

Connecticut: LF Bobby Felmy: 2 for 4, SO, SB

Connecticut: RHP Brooks McNiven: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Connecticut: RHP Matt Yourkin: 1.1 IP, 1 BB, 3 K--1 BK
Connecticut: RHP Waldis Joaquin: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K--1 IBB

Felmy was the only Defender to reach base twice not via an intentional walk. His seond single ended the game in the bottom of the 8th inning and raised his AVG to .254.

McNiven, who made his first appearance in two weeks, has allowed just 2 ER in his last three starts to get his ERA back under 4.00 after a couple appearances in the first half of May with 6 ER each had inflated his ERA. Yourkin and Joaquin provided scoreless relief, striking out five of the twelve batters they faced.

A+: San Jose defeated Stockton 10-0
(scoring five runs in the 2nd inning and adding five insurance runs in the last two innings)

San Jose: DH Buster Posey: 0 for 3, 2 BB
San Jose: RF Roger Kieschnick: 1 for 5, HR, SO
San Jose: 1B Angel Villalona: 1 for 3, 2 HBP, 2 SO
San Jose: 2B Nick Noonan: 2 for 5, 3B, 2B

San Jose: LHP Scott Barnes: 6.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 K
San Jose: RHP T.J. Brewer: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 7 K--1 WP

Batting ninth, Noonan had his 5th triple and 13th double to contribute the Giants' only multi-hit line. Villalona reached base three times, getting his OBP back above .310. He hit just .200/.238/.288 in 80 AB in June. Kieschnick added his organization-leading 16th HR in the 9th inning. Posey had his first game after being hit in the helmet by a pitch six days earlier.

Barnes had an impressive start to follow up on his start six days earlier with a season-high 10 K. Over his last six starts, he has 22 H, 10 BB, 7 ER, and 48 K in 34.2 IP. Brewer was perhaps even more impressive in relief, to finish the shutout, facing just one batter of the minimum and having a season-high 7 K. He raised his K/IP above 1.00, although his BAA remains above .300.

A-: Augusta lost to Lexington 2-1

Augusta: RF Josh Mazzola: 2 for 4, SO
Augusta: C Matt Klimas: 0 for 0, 2 BB, HBP

Augusta: LHP Eric Surkamp: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 7 K
Augusta: RHP Justin Fitzgerald: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 2 K
Lexington: RHP Jordan Lyles: 6.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K--2 HB

Mazzola had two of the GreenJackets' five hits, raising his AVG to .274. Klimas reached base in all three of his plate appearances, raising his OBP to .364.

Surkamp has been racking up the strikeouts, with a K/IP ratio fo 1.22. Still, he has proven fairly hittable with a H/IP over 1.00 and an ERA of 3.59 through his thirteen starts. Fitzgerald face just one over the minimum in three scoreless innings to lower his ERA back below 3.75 after giving up 2 ER in each of his previous two appearances. Lyles, one of the Astros' top prospects, had a quality start. His peripheral stats are better than his 3.15 ERA in sixteen starts would indicate as the 18-year-old has 79 H, 20 BB, 4 HR, and 108 K in 88.2 IP.

ssA: Salem-Keizer lost to Vancouver 12-6

Salem-Keizer: CF Francisco Peguero: 3 for 5, 2B
Salem-Keizer: C Kyle Henson: 3 for 4, CS

Salem-Keizer: RHP Javier Hernandez: 4.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 0 K
Salem-Keizer: RHP Taylor Rogers: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER--1 HR

With three hits each, Peguero, who is playing in the NWL for the second time, and Henson (39th rounder) combined for half of the Volcanoes' dozen hits.

Hernandez got nine ground ball outs (9/2 GO/FO line), but he had no strikeouts, and seven balls in play went for hits. Through three starts, he has 16 H, 10 BB and 4 K to go along with 7.07 ERA. Rogers (25th rounder) has had an inauspicious pro debut, allowing nine runs over his first two appearances.

R: Scottsdale had its regularly scheduled off-day (every fifth day)

DSL: Giants lost to Pirates 3-2 (10 innings)

Dominican: 2B Carlos Willoughby: 1 for 3, 2 BB, IBB, SB, E
Dominican: RHP Lorenzo Mendoza: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K

Willoughby (20.7 y.o.) reached base three times, further raising his OBP to .467, and had his 19th SB. Mendoza (17.11 y.o.) was effective in his second pro start, allowing just four baserunners in five scoreless innings.

Much thanks to Steve S at McCovey Chronicles (http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2009/7/3/936951/minor-lines-7-2-09#comments) for the stats and write-up.

FG4prez
07-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Johnnnnnnyyyyyyy!!!!!

Madirishman
07-11-2009, 02:33 PM
A no hitter for Sanchez!!!!! What an improbable event. That's why sports are so amazing; they defy all odds!

Rowand saved his ass in the 9th with that money catch too.

Brent
07-11-2009, 02:45 PM
they have looked great these past two games.

CJSchneider
07-11-2009, 03:28 PM
A no hitter for Sanchez!!!!! What an improbable event. That's why sports are so amazing; they defy all odds!

Rowand saved his ass in the 9th with that money catch too.

Had it not been for the bobble at 3rd, it would have been a perfect game.

abaddon41_80
07-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Had it not been for the bobble at 3rd, it would have been a perfect game.

Meh. A no-hitter is just as good as a perfect game for all intents and purposes. I cannot believe how good Sanchez looked.

CJSchneider
07-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey, a "W" is a "W" by that logic. I'd rather be the guy who threw the perfect game then the guy who threw the no-hitter.

Brent
07-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Hey, a "W" is a "W" by that logic. I'd rather be the guy who threw the perfect game then the guy who threw the no-hitter.
when you have a losing record like he does, I am sure he just wants to get a W before worrying about the method by which he does it.

CJSchneider
07-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Ok, any predictions for the 2nd half of the season?

Brent
07-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Ok, any predictions for the 2nd half of the season?
Disappointment.

abaddon41_80
07-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Disappointment.

I have to agree, unless we get a lot of offense from somewhere.

Borat
07-18-2009, 05:39 PM
I predict that if Bruce Botchey lets Rich Aurilia start another game, Botchey will end up with a couple of bats up his ass.

Giantsfan1080
07-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Just to let you know Borat I bet $25 to win $800 that you'd win the WS. Since my Mets are out of it I'm on your bandwagon now.

Borat
07-18-2009, 06:42 PM
That's a very nice return GF. It's probably lost money, but if it hits, you loving life.

Giantsfan1080
07-18-2009, 06:44 PM
That's a very nice return GF. It's probably lost money, but if it hits, you loving life.

Yeah at the odds it looked liked the best deal. My thinking was if you get the WC with that pitching staff anything can happen. Also, if you add a bat it looks that much better.

Borat
07-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah at the odds it looked liked the best deal. My thinking was if you get the WC with that pitching staff anything can happen. Also, if you add a bat it looks that much better.

Yeah, that's pretty much the consensus. We could be dangerous if we get a good bat. But it remains to be seen if we will actually go get that bat. The pitching staff is legit though.

Giantsfan1080
07-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much the consensus. We could be dangerous if we get a good bat. But it remains to be seen if we will actually go get that bat. The pitching staff is legit though.

My favorite thing in baseball is young SP for whatever reason. Because of Bumgarner(who you know I love) and Alderson I'm rooting for you from afar. It's funny Sabean has all these pitchers now. How do you think Dunn would help you guys?

Borat
07-18-2009, 07:12 PM
My favorite thing in baseball is young SP for whatever reason. Because of Bumgarner(who you know I love) and Alderson I'm rooting for you from afar. It's funny Sabean has all these pitchers now. How do you think Dunn would help you guys?

There's a big divide in regard to Dunn. Some people are just like OMGZ Dingerz and the other half feel his defense negates his offensive abilities. Personally, I'd probably be OK with him, but I wouldn't want to deal any of the top end prospects for him. They should have signed him as a FA in the offseason if they really wanted him.

Giantsfan1080
07-18-2009, 07:15 PM
There's a big divide in regard to Dunn. Some people are just like OMGZ Dingerz and the other half feel his defense negates his offensive abilities. Personally, I'd probably be OK with him, but I wouldn't want to deal any of the top end prospects for him. They should have signed him as a FA in the offseason if they really wanted him.

Yeah that's fair but Sabean probably thought you were still a year or two away so no reason for Dunn. What prospect would give up for him? Anyone after the big 5?

Borat
07-18-2009, 07:18 PM
None of Bum, Alderson, Posey, Villalona and Neal. Best arm I'd give up would be Henry Sosa or Scott Barnes. I soured on Nick Noonan so I'd be OK with him in a trade as well.

Giantsfan1080
07-18-2009, 07:24 PM
None of Bum, Alderson, Posey, Villalona and Neal. Best arm I'd give up would be Henry Sosa or Scott Barnes. I soured on Nick Noonan so I'd be OK with him in a trade as well.

Yeah that's what I figured pretty much.

Borat
07-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Well GF1080, I gotta say ... after watching the Giants these past 2 games ... you just threw your money away. Talk about an eye-opener. I can't imagine this team making the playoffs. This offense is just horrible.

Giantsfan1080
07-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Well GF1080, I gotta say ... after watching the Giants these past 2 games ... you just threw your money away. Talk about an eye-opener. I can't imagine this team making the playoffs. This offense is just horrible.

:( I'm sorry. David Wright for Nick Noonan?

Borat
07-18-2009, 08:29 PM
LMAO. Who needs David Wright? We got Rich ******* Aurilia.

BTW, I'm apologizing in advance for the upcoming Giants/Mets series. That one should set the record for boring.

Giantsfan1080
07-18-2009, 08:36 PM
LMAO. Who needs David Wright? We got Rich ******* Aurilia.

BTW, I'm apologizing in advance for the upcoming Giants/Mets series. That one should set the record for boring.

Haha you could have been nice about it. I set runs scored for both teams in the whole series at 8 1/2.

Borat
07-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Haha you could have been nice about it. I set runs scored for both teams in the whole series at 8 1/2.

Well, I phrased that wrong. I'd trade all kinds of stuff to get David Wright. I just wanted to make fun of the Giants cause they are causing me much anger tonight. And for some reason, Rich Aurilia is the right-handed platoon at first base. He's got to be the worst first-baseman in all of baseball. I'm embarrassed.

Brent
07-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Looking at the current roster, aside from Pablo, Lincecum, Cain, Schierholtz, and Wilson, I'd probably trade any one on the roster. However, I wouldn't dare trade any of our top prospects. This isn't the Bonds era, we dont need to mortgage the future to win now, especially with aces as young as Cain and Timmy.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
07-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Well, I phrased that wrong. I'd trade all kinds of stuff to get David Wright. I just wanted to make fun of the Giants cause they are causing me much anger tonight. And for some reason, Rich Aurilia is the right-handed platoon at first base. He's got to be the worst first-baseman in all of baseball. I'm embarrassed.

They need to DFA his ass and bring up Guzman.

Brent
07-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Giants have just aquired Ryan Garko from the Indians for Single-A pitcher Scott Barnes. Garko is .285 with 11HR and 39 RBIs in 78 games

CJSchneider
07-28-2009, 08:53 AM
I like the trade, Garko is definitely a bigger bat then Ishi. Hopefully, this will help us get back in front of Colorado.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
07-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Like the trade, love it if they can add Freddy Sanchez as well.
http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/2895689532
Another rumor, from Heyman, is SF turned down J Sanchez for Nick Johnson to the Nats.

Also with RJ out, for maybe the rest of the year, is it time to turn to the Mad Bomber (Bumgardner) or to you guys think it is too early to rush him up? Personally, looking down in Fresno, nobody really jumps out and I think it would be a good way to solidify the rotation.

Brent
07-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Worst. GM. Ever.

FG4prez
07-30-2009, 05:37 AM
freddy sanchez was a good pick up, but for alderson? ugh. why give up no 2 or 3 starter for a 31 yr old? that being said sanchez will be a welcome addition to the lineup. he hits tons of doubles, which is a good thing in our ballpark. i would have preferred johnson than garko but both are good. this still doesnt fix the fact that there is no cleanup hitter.

on a night of questionalble transactions in the bay area, the warriors traded marco bellinelli for devean george. hmmmmmmmmm

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
07-30-2009, 07:16 AM
freddy sanchez was a good pick up, but for alderson? ugh. why give up no 2 or 3 starter for a 31 yr old? that being said sanchez will be a welcome addition to the lineup. he hits tons of doubles, which is a good thing in our ballpark. i would have preferred johnson than garko but both are good. this still doesnt fix the fact that there is no cleanup hitter.

on a night of questionalble transactions in the bay area, the warriors traded marco bellinelli for devean george. hmmmmmmmmm

Thought the same thing, yesterday turned into battle of the crappy bay area trades. Losing Alderson was brutal but Devean George is very close to the anti-christ. I absolutely did not want that guy anywhere near the Warriors.

CJSchneider
07-30-2009, 08:59 AM
freddy sanchez was a good pick up, but for alderson? ugh.

Exactly, we traded an injured, over thehill all-star for a prospect who was 20-6 over has last two season's. Explain this to me, because I don't get it.

Madirishman
07-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Exactly, we traded an injured, over thehill all-star for a prospect who was 20-6 over has last two season's. Explain this to me, because I don't get it.

The only explanation is that the Giants have depth at pitcher, and they wanted to trade away depth to upgrade their 2B. Sanchez doesn't have upside at this point, but I think he will pay some dividends and isn't the 37 year old veteran that Sabean normally brings in. Garko has some upside, and I looked at his career stats and notes with optimism, but we're trying to win NOW, and I'm not sure a platoon 1B that will hit 6th and a weak fill-in RF is what the G-Men need to do that. We'll see, but I don't blame Sabean for trading depth for need. At least the Giants didn't just sit back and do nothing. Hopefully these guys can bring in some veteran leadership to help balance the youth on the team, though neither Garko or Sanchez are playoff veterans either....sigh.....

Brent
07-30-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't blame Sabean for trading depth for need.
There are numerous 2nd basemen that would have been an upgrade that would have cost us less. I mean, if they wanted to get a hitter, I guarantee that Hank Blalock would have cost us about the same, given the desperate need for pitching that the Rangers have, and he can play 1B.

Madirishman
07-30-2009, 01:52 PM
There are numerous 2nd basemen that would have been an upgrade that would have cost us less.

This may be true, but they still traded depth for need. I don't necessarily agree on the exact depth that was traded (Alderson) but I can understand the move.

Borat
07-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Man, I'm exhausted from going through this Alderson fiasco in the MLB thread. Don't think I can do it again in this thread. Let me just say that the trading "depth for need" idea is a big fallacy. Yeah, we have good pitching depth. That doesn't mean you trade pitchers away for less than they're worth. That's just plain dumb. The fact is, that Alderson could have been used to get a legitimate bat middle-of-the-order bat instead of a non-power bat.

And trading for Sanchez 2 days before the deadline was just ridiculous. Sabean couldn't understand that Pittsburgh would be forced to practically give Sanchez away at the very last minute, rather than be on the hook for his $8M salary next year? So instead we trade early, give up a top prospect AND Pittsburgh eats ZERO of his salary. That's beyond terrible. Sabean really ****** us over on that one.

Check the sig

Madirishman
07-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I see your point Borat, and I love your sig.

Borat
07-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I see your point Borat, and I love your sig.

Gah. I wish it weren't true. It kills me inside.

At least the team is much better now. But damn, our future got a nice kick in the nuts. We'll be OK though. The system is still strong and I'm sure we'll continue to rape the draft and hopefully keep picking up promising International free agents.

Brent
07-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I was kind of hoping one or two of our pitchers would be good enough to come up and we could have some ridiculously young and stacked rotation.

FG4prez
07-31-2009, 12:32 PM
I did read a little more about alderson and apparently he isnt looking as good this year as he was supposed to. His velocity has dropped across the board. sorry about lack of a link, but one columnist concluded that his regression this year is the reason why they couldnt get higher value.
with Randy Johnson on the 60 day DL, im not as sold on the giants' rotation. sadowski will be inconsistent as well as sanchez, and of course we know about zito.

Brent
08-02-2009, 12:16 PM
he isnt looking as good this year as he was supposed to. His velocity has dropped across the board. sorry about lack of a link, but one columnist concluded that his regression this year is the reason why they couldnt get higher value.
where did you read this/can you provide a link?

CJSchneider
08-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Losing to the Reds last night was terrible. What the **** happened in the 9th?

Brent
08-08-2009, 01:54 PM
CJ, just watch the video: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290807126

/facepalm

Brian Wilson, if you are going to rock that stupid hair cut, dont **** games up.

Borat
08-08-2009, 02:06 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. The Giants didn't play last night. There was no game. I swear. There was no game. I mean it. Weird huh? Also, there was no World Series in 2002 either.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
08-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Barry Zito's hit single "A Man's Gotta Do", watch out John Mayer:
http://thedirty.com/2009/08/07/dirty-exclusive-world-premiere-barry-zitos-hit-song-a-mans-gotta-do-what-a-mans-gotts-do/

Oh yeah, BEAT LA!

Brent
08-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Instead of working on music, he should be working on not sucking.

CJSchneider
08-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Barry Zito's hit single "A Man's Gotta Do", watch out John Mayer:
http://thedirty.com/2009/08/07/dirty-exclusive-world-premiere-barry-zitos-hit-song-a-mans-gotta-do-what-a-mans-gotts-do/

Oh yeah, BEAT LA!

Karaoke Night at the the "Stick"

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
08-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Speechless after that game...........this is how I feel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCoaBN6iOu0

Borat
08-25-2009, 12:51 AM
I already quit the Giants in the MLB thread. I refuse to back this team until Bochey and Sabean are gone. It's ******* pathetic.

Brent
08-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Randy Quaid's character in Major League II (minus the happy ending) is the perfect example of my Giants fanhood.

Brent
09-01-2009, 12:15 AM
"Giants plan on calling up Bowker and Guzman from Triple-A tomorrow. They will also activate Torres and Aurilia from the DL"

per Giants official Twitter, thoughts?

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
09-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Anyone else enjoy watching Buster Posey sit on the bench? It has been fantastic and I hope I get to watch it for years to come.

FG4prez
09-08-2009, 06:37 AM
well we all knew he was versatile. he played all 9 positions in one game (did he pitch in that? not sure) AND he can ride the pine. what a crappy time for rockies to go on win streak. ugh. how about juan uribe tho?

Madirishman
09-08-2009, 10:10 AM
U-RIBE!!!!!

pronounced:
(Ooooo.......ree-bayyyy)

Like to see the power from him, and he's been rewarded with some time at cleanup in the lineup. Glad Pernny has owrked out thus far. He's a good vet that's been through it all and had success that can really rub off on the Giants young stars. Has anyone else seen Lincecum has been glued to his hip lately? I like it.

FG4prez
09-09-2009, 05:11 AM
MadBaum sighting! About as good as I've ever felt about a heartbreaking, season threatening loss as u can feel. Seriously the padres and brewers should have got their sh-- pushed in

Madirishman
09-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Sabean likely to get extension.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/19/SPB119P7DM.DTL#ixzz0RYfF4jOC

Sorry Borat :(

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
09-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Angel Villalona turns himself in suspected of murder
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/20/SPHQ19Q281.DTL

And there goes our first baseman of the future.

Borat
09-21-2009, 10:51 AM
What. The. ****.

I guess his ****** plate discipline doesn't matter too much anymore.

CJSchneider
10-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Guess who just got a damn 2 year contract extension?

Madirishman
10-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Guess who just got a damn 2 year contract extension?

Both Boche and Sabean. Yes, It's going to continue to be a fun ride. I think Boche has done well with developing some of the young talent, but Sabean hasn't made any moves that I thought were above average, and still has the Zito and Rowand contracts staring him in the face. Hopefully he pulls a career best move with a blockbuster trade for a bat that doesn't leave the Giants without Cain or Lincecum. Hopefully....

Madirishman
10-14-2009, 09:48 AM
I wonder what veteran position player that's past his prime they're going to overpay this offseason?

My vote is for Freddy Sanchez. I think he's worth keeping around a couple more years as he'll be 32 soon, but not at much of a price tag.

Madirishman
10-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Well, at least the Dodgers lost. The world is back in order. I still think that the Giants would have put a much better fight up than the Rockies in the playoffs, but you have have to earn your spot and they fizzled late.

Either way...Hahahahaha Dodgers lost.

CJSchneider
10-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Either way...Hahahahaha Dodgers lost.

That is the true measure of a Giants fan.

http://rlv.zcache.com/duck_the_fodgers_magnet-p147181267693457236qjy4_400.jpg

Brent
10-22-2009, 10:27 AM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/alsmith2502/fuckLA.jpg

Borat
10-22-2009, 11:42 AM
That is the true measure of a Giants fan.

http://rlv.zcache.com/duck_the_fodgers_magnet-p147181267693457236qjy4_400.jpg

Well, if that's the true measure of a Giants fan, what does this make me?

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/87/l_130fa094c6d0bba46ac93a31dea576f4.gif

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/m_769a5464ea5d3b40d2b5e2e12071622e.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/3/m_099283307fd549ca1292389da836ce83.gif

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/97/m_c38000335ebfcddd22cf0a83c73177ce.gif

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/m_f7924c6b92e558e9e4a5ffba33c4542c.gif

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/5/m_fe36b31301b290cc7f39e9087d929224.gif

http://www.beyondthebreakers.net/ugh/emperor.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/m0shm4n/20070422wAPsanchez_450.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm9/bru682/mcc/attackpanda1.jpg

http://tandem.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/dodgers_fail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/m0shm4n/bluepanda.jpg

http://msp95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/bseballplayer88/dodgers.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/norecords/ChavezLatrine-2.jpg

http://www.dodgerblues.com/images/tommy-anim.gif

DODGER SHORT BUS
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ki5EPOdCHyM/SeQ-KVTL0ZI/AAAAAAAABsM/wkXs7kQvb-U/s400/3_20_09_Dodgers_Trolley_2.JPG

DODGER GM NED COLLETTI SPORTING HIS GIANTS BLING
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/76/l_5afd249a798a75e4b713b0bc5c49e4b9.gif

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t123/trueorangeandblack/Rally911.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t123/trueorangeandblack/JeffKuntSeagull.gif

LODUCA LETTERS TO KIRK REDOMSKI

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t123/trueorangeandblack/LoDucaNote.jpg
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/6622/loducabouncemu0.jpg

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/San+Francisco+Giants+v+Los+Angeles+Dodgers+17YIcTO Z6hOl.jpg

http://laist.com/attachments/la_jimmy/081015.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0605/gallery.basebrawl/images/00.234678.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/n8ball/mannyshadows.jpg

http://www.bobstaake.com/willardmullin/images/dodgers_1951.gif

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs141.snc1/5210_658080035286_11519249_38452322_7164395_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs121.snc1/5210_658080045266_11519249_38452324_7138081_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs141.snc1/5210_658080105146_11519249_38452335_5100822_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs121.snc1/5210_658080140076_11519249_38452339_4297573_n.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs121.snc1/5210_658080175006_11519249_38452345_8318093_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs121.snc1/5210_658080244866_11519249_38452358_1220102_n.jpg

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/giants/2006/10/16/ALLSTAR8-C-10JUL01-SP-MAC320x213.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn222/alaina42_42/Beat-LAog.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/bumsuc/lasorda-cake-anim.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/kvdp12/kempWall2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/heimy25/beatla.jpg

Madirishman
10-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Well, if that's the true measure of a Giants fan, what does this make me?

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/87/l_130fa094c6d0bba46ac93a31dea576f4.gif

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/m_769a5464ea5d3b40d2b5e2e12071622e.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/3/m_099283307fd549ca1292389da836ce83.gif

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/97/m_c38000335ebfcddd22cf0a83c73177ce.gif

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/m_f7924c6b92e558e9e4a5ffba33c4542c.gif

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/5/m_fe36b31301b290cc7f39e9087d929224.gif

http://www.beyondthebreakers.net/ugh/emperor.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/m0shm4n/20070422wAPsanchez_450.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm9/bru682/mcc/attackpanda1.jpg

http://tandem.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/dodgers_fail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/m0shm4n/bluepanda.jpg

http://msp95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/bseballplayer88/dodgers.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/norecords/ChavezLatrine-2.jpg

http://www.dodgerblues.com/images/tommy-anim.gif

DODGER SHORT BUS
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ki5EPOdCHyM/SeQ-KVTL0ZI/AAAAAAAABsM/wkXs7kQvb-U/s400/3_20_09_Dodgers_Trolley_2.JPG

DODGER GM NED COLLETTI SPORTING HIS GIANTS BLING
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/76/l_5afd249a798a75e4b713b0bc5c49e4b9.gif

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t123/trueorangeandblack/Rally911.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t123/trueorangeandblack/JeffKuntSeagull.gif

LODUCA LETTERS TO KIRK REDOMSKI

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t123/trueorangeandblack/LoDucaNote.jpg
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/6622/loducabouncemu0.jpg

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/San+Francisco+Giants+v+Los+Angeles+Dodgers+17YIcTO Z6hOl.jpg

http://laist.com/attachments/la_jimmy/081015.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0605/gallery.basebrawl/images/00.234678.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/n8ball/mannyshadows.jpg

http://www.bobstaake.com/willardmullin/images/dodgers_1951.gif

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs141.snc1/5210_658080035286_11519249_38452322_7164395_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs121.snc1/5210_658080045266_11519249_38452324_7138081_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs141.snc1/5210_658080105146_11519249_38452335_5100822_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs121.snc1/5210_658080140076_11519249_38452339_4297573_n.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs121.snc1/5210_658080175006_11519249_38452345_8318093_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs121.snc1/5210_658080244866_11519249_38452358_1220102_n.jpg

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/giants/2006/10/16/ALLSTAR8-C-10JUL01-SP-MAC320x213.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/bumsuc/lasorda-cake-anim.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/kvdp12/kempWall2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/heimy25/beatla.jpg

What does it make you? OBSESSED!

I Love it!

Bring on Spring Training!

CJSchneider
10-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Those are awesome.

Brent
10-23-2009, 12:35 AM
this one:

is one I want as a poster.

Brent
10-29-2009, 02:37 PM
"Sports Illustrated's Jon Heyman says Boston might offer $60mil/4yr contract for Jason Bay, but says he could see the Giants offering more"
-Giants twitter

CJSchneider
10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
As much as I like Bay as a player, I hope not too much more. It would be darn near double what he is making now.

Brent
10-29-2009, 10:22 PM
As much as I like Bay as a player, I hope not too much more. It would be darn near double what he is making now.
and he's 31 :-(

Just what we need, more older dudes that are overpaid.

Madirishman
10-30-2009, 12:52 AM
I wonder what veteran position player that's past his prime they're going to overpay this offseason?

Thus, why I posted this recently. It's going to be somebody old.

Brent
10-31-2009, 02:43 PM
Juan Uribe and pitcher Noah Lowry decide to test the free agent market

Madirishman
11-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Bye Noah. Hope Uribe can come back from a reasonable salary.

UUUUUUUU......ribe!!!!!!!!!

Borat
11-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Giants signed Freddy Sanchez for 2 years and $12 million.

Madirishman
11-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Giants signed Freddy Sanchez for 2 years and $12 million.

Not a complete rip off. Hopefully he can be one of their better 2nd basemen in the league, or at least hit .300, play solid D and provide some leadership for the younger guys.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
11-02-2009, 03:26 AM
Juan Uribe and pitcher Noah Lowry decide to test the free agent market

Going to miss Lowry. Met him at Giants fanfest a few years back, very nice guy. Also one of my favorite memories of him was when he had to play RF in an extra innings ballgame.

Brent
11-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Going to miss Lowry. Met him at Giants fanfest a few years back, very nice guy. Also one of my favorite memories of him was when he had to play RF in an extra innings ballgame.
his injury pretty much ended hope for him being a part of that rotation in the future.

Brent
11-06-2009, 09:27 AM
"Washington State Patrol pulled over Lincecum on Oct 30th for speeding on I5 and confiscated 3 grams of marijuana. He plead not guilty Monday"

dumbass.

Madirishman
11-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Yep. At least that might save the Giants a couple million in arbitration that they could throw toward a power hitter.

Borat
11-06-2009, 11:49 AM
No. The arbitrator doesn't consider anything but stats. Tim deserves a **** ton of money and I hope he gets it.

I'm just glad he got caught with pot and not something more serious.

Madirishman
11-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm just glad he got caught with pot and not something more serious.

Like steroids?

Borat
11-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Like steroids?

No. Something serious. Like heroin.

Brent
11-06-2009, 02:35 PM
"SF Chron's Schulman: Clark County DA dropped the marijuana poss. charges against Lincecum but he will pay a $250 fine for having the pipe"

Still, what a dumbass. Also, expanding on Borat's comment: Timmy should be one of, if not the, highest paid pitcher in the league. Someone swtich his contract with Zito's.

Madirishman
11-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Yep, he's earned his money. I just worry about the burnout factor in a few years with him as his pitching style is so violent. He's more impressive than Zito ever was.

Brent
11-06-2009, 11:02 PM
His throwing motion isnt violent at all. In fact, it's incredibly easy on him because he uses so much of his body rather than his arm. It's also how a guy how's a few pounds smaller than I can throw those freaking laser fastballs.

Madirishman
11-08-2009, 12:14 AM
His throwing motion isnt violent at all. In fact, it's incredibly easy on him because he uses so much of his body rather than his arm. It's also how a guy how's a few pounds smaller than I can throw those freaking laser fastballs.

I think there's a lot of a potential room for error because he needs everything he has to be a power pitcher. I do hope that you're right and that durability doesn't become a concern in his career for a long time and that he gets paid, remaining a dominant pitcher for the Giants for many years to come.

Borat
11-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Yeah, don't trip Irish. Brent's right. Lincecum's motion is actually less stressful than a standard motion. It's all leg action and that takes the stress off the elbow. He doesn't even ice his arm after games and in college he would pitch game one of every series and then was used as the closer for the next 2 games. His delivery is going to be copied and eventually will be the standard for pitchers. It's pretty revolutionary.

Brent
11-08-2009, 06:56 PM
http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/Videos/Video_Pitching_TimLincecum_3B_High_SuperSlowMotion _001.gif

it's rather amazing. poetic almost haha.

Brent
11-17-2009, 12:41 PM
looks like Brad Penny, Randy Johnson and Bengie Molina are all being let go.

CJSchneider
11-17-2009, 07:54 PM
looks like Brad Penny, Randy Johnson and Bengie Molina are all being let go.

Welcome to the big show Mr. Posey, at least I assume that is what will happen.

Brent
11-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Welcome to the big show Mr. Posey, at least I assume that is what will happen.
they offered him a one year deal, but I would be shocked if Posey isnt on the roster/starting in 2010

Brent
11-19-2009, 01:04 PM
"8 of the 32 ballots for NL Manager of the Year included Bruce Bochy"

What. The. ****.

Madirishman
11-19-2009, 06:44 PM
"8 of the 32 ballots for NL Manager of the Year included Bruce Bochy"

What. The. ****.

The Giants have been a doormat for a few seasons and the national media focuses on East Coast teams. Boche will get the credit from writers for "developing" the young talent in players like Panda, Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, Velez, etc. that made some highlights throughout the year.

Congrats to Timmy for his 2nd Cy Young!!! Guess the performance enhancing drugs paid off.... :D

Madirishman
12-09-2009, 06:02 PM
The winter meetings are upon us and the Giants need to make some moves to bolster the lineup so that it can better compliment the dominant pitching rotation. Sabean is on the record that he will take the 'wait and see' approach, instead of making a big splash right away.

I'd be in favor of trading Jonathon Sanchez away for a proven bat. I believe he still has some potential, but it would be more of a "sell high" scenario as he has maxed his trade value as a young pitcher coming off a decent second half and his no hitter. Plus, the organization could fill his shoes in the rotation without much of a drop off IMO.

Brent
12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Boche will get the credit from writers for "developing" the young talent in players like Panda, Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, Velez, etc. that made some highlights throughout the year.
I dont think he's doing well enough to warrant any votes.

Madirishman
12-10-2009, 09:36 AM
I dont think he's doing well enough to warrant any votes.

I agree, but that's what I believed happened. The Giants were expected be a doormat because of the young talent and unknowns, and so Boche got some credit when they had a decent year. It's not like he won. THAT would be shocking.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
12-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Who does everyone thinks Sabs is going to overpay for this off season? The tubby bastard claims to have ruled out Damon, Dye, and what I believed was the odds on favorite, Adrian Beltre.

Madirishman
01-05-2010, 10:47 PM
What do you guys think about the De Rosa signing? I like it as he's in the middle of his prime, has decent power, has a lot of valuable playoff experience he can share with the young Giants, is versatile, and is an upgrade in a position of need for $6 mil a year on a two year contract. Compared to Beltre (1yr/10 mil) Holliday (7 yrs/120 mil) and Bay (4 yrs/60 mil + option yr), he's a decent value.

Oh, and U....ribe was resigned to a one year deal today as well. I like that they're keeping him around as he showed some good pop last year in the second half. I think he'll be able to show more consistent power next season.

Brent
01-06-2010, 07:45 PM
I have mixed feelings about the signings. I want to see the young guns brought up.

Madirishman
01-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I have mixed feelings about the signings. I want to see the young guns brought up.

It's looking like we'll at least see Posey as the 2nd Catcher for this season. And the last spot in the rotation could be fought for and won by won of the "young guns."

Madirishman
01-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Aubrey Huff signs one year deal with the Giants and is penciled in the lineup as the #5 hitter behind Kung Fu Panda.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4814895

Not a bad signing, but as usual for Giants fans, this guy is 33 and maybe doesn't have the power and range that he once did. He still has a much more proven track record than young players like Ishikawa that haven't impressed the FO with their bats. It's reportedly a $3 mil deal, which is not bad money for an upgrade to the offense. How much of an upgrade will be need to be determined.

Huff was Sabean's Plan B after LaRoche reportedly turned down a 2 year/$17mil offer from the Giants recently.

FG4prez
01-12-2010, 09:56 AM
i dont mind the huff signing. 3 mil not bad for a guy who had a monster year two years ago in the AL and has performed at a high level in AL East. maybe he will bounce back and be a bargain.

Brent
01-12-2010, 06:18 PM
goddamn, more washed up players who are just trying to find starting gigs.

Madirishman
01-12-2010, 09:06 PM
goddamn, more washed up players who are just trying to find starting gigs.

What did you expect with the G-Men? They aren't going to spend $120 mil on a big time Free Agent signing again anytime soon. Zito royally F***** that up for us all. I just hope that signing these role-player type guys for less cash means they are going to lock up Cain and Lincecum soon for a looooonnng time!

Brent
01-20-2010, 06:42 AM
so, Timmy wants $13 million and Giants offered him $8... it's not like he's the best pitcher in the game or any thing... (40-17 career record)

Madirishman
01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
so, Timmy wants $13 million and Giants offered him $8... it's not like he's the best pitcher in the game or any thing... (40-17 career record)

Even at $13mil he's a value. Either way, he'll be getting a significant (and well earned) pay raise from the several hundred thousand he's been making the last few years. Time to lock him up long term, Giants.

Madirishman
01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Also, Molina is back for one more year to catch:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4840141

This is good as Molina calls great games, is an above-average defensive catcher, will be a great mentor for Posey, and can still be a productive bat. I just wish the guy could run a little faster; he's a triple play waiting to happen!

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
01-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Also, Molina is back for one more year to catch:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4840141

This is good as Molina calls great games, is an above-average defensive catcher, will be a great mentor for Posey, and can still be a productive bat. I just wish the guy could run a little faster; he's a triple play waiting to happen!

Agree, Posey gets to go back to triple A and catch in low pressure situations. My only fear is that Boch relapses, to last season, and starts batting Molina in the clean up spot when the offense starts to stall.

Madirishman
01-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Agree, Posey gets to go back to triple A and catch in low pressure situations. My only fear is that Boch relapses, to last season, and starts batting Molina in the clean up spot when the offense starts to stall.

Hopefully Huff and De Rosa and crew won't suck that bad to let that happen. Hopefully.

farfromforgotten
02-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Timmy signed for 2 years - $23 Million.

2 years?

Would have liked to have seen a longer deal than that, as I'm sure most of you would have as well.

stl9erfan
02-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Timmy signed for 2 years - $23 Million.

2 years?

Would have liked to have seen a longer deal than that, as I'm sure most of you would have as well.

It really doesn't matter. He's still under team control for the next 4 seasons-- this just bought out two of his arb. years.

Brent
02-12-2010, 04:43 PM
there is no way they let him leave the Bay Area, he generates too much money when he starts

Giantsfan1080
02-12-2010, 04:47 PM
It really doesn't matter. He's still under team control for the next 4 seasons-- this just bought out two of his arb. years.

I don't think that's true. They gave him a contract for 2010 and 2011 meaning he still becomes a FA after the 2012 season unless they agree to another contract. They only bough out 2 arb years and then in the 3rd year he's arb-eligible again from what I understand.

Borat
02-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I don't think that's true. They gave him a contract for 2010 and 2011 meaning he still becomes a FA after the 2012 season unless they agree to another contract. They only bough out 2 arb years and then in the 3rd year he's arb-eligible again from what I understand.

Nah, he's right. They just bought out the first 2 arb years. He'll still have 2 arb years after.

Giantsfan1080
02-13-2010, 08:06 AM
There's only 3 arb years though so why he's getting an extra one?

Madirishman
02-13-2010, 11:11 AM
They were discussing a 3 or 4 year deal but obviously ran out of time before the trial was supposed to start, agreeing only on the 2 year deal. I'd like to see the Giants lock him up longer too, but this at least gets him the raise he's earned and gives them time to negotiate a long term deal. I also think they want to have Zito and Rowand's contracts closer to coming off the books before they give big money to Timmy and Cain.

Borat
02-13-2010, 01:09 PM
There's only 3 arb years though so why he's getting an extra one?

Because he's a "super 2". Trust me, he doesn't hit FA until after 2013.

Giantsfan1080
02-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Because he's a "super 2". Trust me, he doesn't hit FA until after 2013.

Ahh that's right. I forgot about the Super 2 status. Thanks Borat.

Madirishman
04-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Opening Day is always great! Saw the Giants in Spring Training here in AZ a few times in March and they looked pretty good. I'm optimistic about their chances to win the NL West this year and think they have the pitching to definitely make a run in the playoffs should they get there. Hope their great record in the preseason carries over to the regular season. Go Giants!

Brent
04-05-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm optimistic about their chances to win the NL West this year and think they have the pitching to definitely make a run in the playoffs should they get there.

so, outside kung fu panda, who's going to be getting bringing in runs? we have a horrible offense

Madirishman
04-05-2010, 05:20 PM
so, outside kung fu panda, who's going to be getting bringing in runs? we have a horrible offense

They signed Huff and DeRosa to add some power to the middle of the lineup - both are former 30/100 guys who could help add a spark. Also, John Bowker has earned the Opening Day RF spot over Schierholtz (who is know for mainly for his D and that he is a local Bay Area product) as he had a very strong Spring Training, highlighted by a 7 RBI day against the blue Jays.

It's not a sexy lineup but it has a decent mix of veterans and younger, emerging players that could develop some chemistry and get enough runs for the dominant pitching into consistent wins. They're on ESPN2 today in 30 mins (6ET) with Timmy on the mound against Oswalt. We'll see what happens. :)

RaiderNation
04-05-2010, 05:24 PM
We have the pitching, we just need another power bat behind Pablo. IDK if we have that

Madirishman
04-05-2010, 06:58 PM
We have the pitching, we just need another power bat behind Pablo. IDK if we have that

If they start well, they can be buyers before the trade deadline for a bigger bat than they signed through FA. In the meantime, we need career seasons from players like Freddy Sanchez, Rowand, Huff & DeRosa to help maximize their value.

Brent
04-05-2010, 08:44 PM
good showing for opening day. even if the astros are terrible.

thediggler3030
04-06-2010, 09:06 PM
good showing for opening day. even if the astros are terrible.

They certainly are making Zito look damn good tonight :D Lets hope that lasts for while this season lol.

Madirishman
04-06-2010, 09:30 PM
They certainly are making Zito look damn good tonight :D Lets hope that lasts for while this season lol.

Yeah, Zito Giants career has been laughable (and sad) but he had a really good second half last year and I believe he can put up good numbers for a #2-#3 starter in the NL. If Cain gets some run support to push his win total, he'll be the best #3 starter in the league IMO. DeRosa looking really good so far.

PhysicalwithanF
04-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Yeah, Zito Giants career has been laughable (and sad) but he had a really good second half last year and I believe he can put up good numbers for a #2-#3 starter in the NL. If Cain gets some run support to push his win total, he'll be the best #3 starter in the league IMO. DeRosa looking really good so far.

The thing with Zito is we NEVER give him any run support. They said on air tonite that in 60% of his starts as a Giant we gave him 2 runs or less of support. But when you give Zito 4 runs or more he is like 123 and 6.

thediggler3030
04-06-2010, 10:46 PM
The thing with Zito is we NEVER give him any run support. They said on air tonite that in 60% of his starts as a Giant we gave him 2 runs or less of support. But when you give Zito 4 runs or more he is like 123 and 6.

That's a really interesting stat. Thanks. I do think its partially his pitching lol. I think that's been an issue with every pitcher so far as well.

Run support is clearly a huge issue, though I'm glad Sabs didn't overspend for a rundown hitter. I think they should stay patient and give Bowker a goddamn chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madirishman
04-07-2010, 10:03 AM

Yes, but like all Giant pitchers, run support has been an issue the last few years. :( Look at Cain's run support - it's among the very worst in the league over the last two years! Zito's confidence dipped a little in previous years and he's admitted that the contract has put added pressure on him. The emergence of Lincecum, Cain and Sanchez has actually taken some pressure off of him and turned the pitching rotation into more of a friendly competition, which has been good for Zito. He'll never truly earn his contract from the Giants, but it would be nice to get a couple productive years out of him before it's up.

PhysicalwithanF
04-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Yes, but like all Giant pitchers, run support has been an issue the last few years. :( Look at Cain's run support - it's among the very worst in the league over the last two years! Zito's confidence dipped a little in previous years and he's admitted that the contract has put added pressure on him. The emergence of Lincecum, Cain and Sanchez has actually taken some pressure off of him and turned the pitching rotation into more of a friendly competition, which has been good for Zito. He'll never truly earn his contract from the Giants, but it would be nice to get a couple productive years out of him before it's up.

Of course, I mean every pitcher is going to benefit from run support and suffer when they dont get it except for the freaks like Timmy, and our offense even cost him half a dozen wins last year. My point was simply that Zito cant seem to catch a break in addition to underperforming..i actually think hell be decent this year..although im not sure I like him as our #2. This team is going to give me an ulcer, i can already tell. If I have to watch Bengie or Rowand hit into another DP with one out and one on im going to punch a baby. Why does Bochy put one of our worst hitterrs at lead off, and our fastest player (Torres) hit 8th last nite? Why isnt Posey up here yet contributing? Why sit Bowker? sigh....

Madirishman
04-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Of course, I mean every pitcher is going to benefit from run support and suffer when they dont get it except for the freaks like Timmy, and our offense even cost him half a dozen wins last year. My point was simply that Zito cant seem to catch a break in addition to underperforming..i actually think hell be decent this year..although im not sure I like him as our #2. This team is going to give me an ulcer, i can already tell. If I have to watch Bengie or Rowand hit into another DP with one out and one on im going to punch a baby. Why does Bochy put one of our worst hitterrs at lead off, and our fastest player (Torres) hit 8th last nite? Why isnt Posey up here yet contributing? Why sit Bowker? sigh....

Punching babies won't help the situation, bro. It'll only make it worse. :)

Zito was getting lit up like a Christmas Tree early in games, especially at the beginning of the last few seasons. He's looked arguably better every year that he's been a Giant but he's not the pitcher that won the AL Cy Young a few years back. I'd rather have Cain as the #2 spot, but I believe they have Zito there so they can best alternate L and R arms day to day in the pitching rotation.

I agree that we need a better leadoff hitter with more speed, but they have to be able to hit for average as well, otherwise the speed is all but useless. Rowand has dropped 15-20 pounds since last year so his wheels should be a little faster, thus why they are having him hit leadoff for now. Torres has to prove more consistent. Remember the brief Rajai Davis experiment a couple years ago? Speed isn't everything for a leadoff hitter.

They have a lot of free-swingers in Molina, Uribe, Pablo, Renteria, Rowand, etc. I did like the move bringing in a new hitting coach which will hopefully help with some patience and pitch selection at the plate. Pablo looked good his first couple at bats the other night, but after everyone else was getting hits but him, he reverted back to swinging at everything late in the game.

The reasons why Posey isn't up from Day 1 this season are the following:

1) Molina is worthy of the starting spot due to his experience and offensive and defensive production and they want Posey to play every day. Posey would only be able to play one to two days a week at catcher and would have him split time at first, where they signed Huff to primarily play, and have Pablo, Ishikawa and Bowker that all can play there as well.

2) By bringing him up a little later in the year, they can hold off another year before he is arbitration-eligible, when they'll have to pay out the a$$ for a long term deal.

I'd like to see him every day and I believe we'll get our chance by June.

Brent
04-07-2010, 04:29 PM
if they play Posey at first, they are going to waste his potential.

Brent
04-19-2010, 04:34 PM
AfI8EjoBJYU

awesome

Madirishman
04-19-2010, 06:01 PM
AfI8EjoBJYU

awesome

I'm Lovin it for sure!

FG4prez
04-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Damn it, ESPN blocked it.

Bullpen has let us down two games in a row. Shiet.

Off-topic, but related to Shiet: scoring on your own goal in OT of a playoff game. Thanks, Sharks.

abaddon41_80
05-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Aargh. Stop blowing Lincecum's wins, stupid bullpen.

Madirishman
05-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Yep, that's two in a row. The Phils extra inning loss last week was on Boche for taking out Lincecum with 2 outs to go.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
05-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Runzler needs to be the go to righty in tight spots not Romo.

Also how about the Sharks jumping to a 3-0 series lead?

Borat
05-05-2010, 04:23 PM
If only Runzler weren't a lefty LOL.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
05-05-2010, 08:26 PM
If only Runzler weren't a lefty LOL.

He's so good he could pitch both ways....yeah I blanked badly on that one thanks. Romo just came up huge so I look like an even bigger ass now. :D

abaddon41_80
05-10-2010, 01:00 PM
This crap with Lincecum is getting ridiculous. I am happy with a win, for sure, but how is Lincecum going to win his 3rd Cy Young if his bullpen keeps blowing his wins? Strikeouts alone aren't gonna do it.

Madirishman
05-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Nope, the bullpen de-railed a few wins for him late last year that I thought were going to be the cause of Timmy not repeating. He'll get his, but having a "special" (25+ wins) season that I believe he's capable of won't happen with the bullpen giving away that many of his wins this early.

Brent
05-10-2010, 04:21 PM
I think last year showed that he doesnt have to win a lot of games for people to recognize that he's the best pitcher in baseball.

Funny thing is, if they Giants did make playoffs, Timmy could easily pitch half the games with his throwing motion that essentially takes all the stress off his arm.

Madirishman
05-10-2010, 06:11 PM
True, but they have to get there first! If the Giants get into the postseason, teams will not want to face them and their pitching rotation. They should be able to do some damage.

Madirishman
05-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Since we need a bat for the middle of the lineup that isn't significantly passed his prime, and Hanley Ramirez seems to be unhappy in Florida, I say we bring him out West to join the G-Men. He's got a big salary as he's signed long term, but not a huge one for the superstar he is. Let's give up Bumgarner in a package to get em. It'd be worth it as we could use a major upgrade at SS.

Brent
05-19-2010, 06:25 AM
they would never trade Hanley Ramirez for something worthwhile

Madirishman
05-19-2010, 09:22 AM
I know, but it's great just to think about it. What a great fit he'd be on the Giants. At least Torres has been swinging a great bat lately. I hope him and Shierholtz continue to progress.

Brent
05-24-2010, 06:22 AM
oh my god win a ******* game. 5 in a row? gtfo.

Madirishman
05-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Aye. This has been a painful week for the G-Men and their fans. They need a legitimate bat (or really two) to help this team get to the playoffs. I was optimistic with their FA signings, but DeRosa with his surgery (that he apparently knew didn't go well) has been a bust and Huff has been good, but not what they really need at 1B. Combine that with the Panda's slump and horrible patience/pitch choice at the plate, and the outlook to get to the playoffs isn't good. The ****ing Dodgers just blew by them in the standings. Hate it!

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
05-29-2010, 02:08 AM
Posey might be called up manana:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs/2010/05/28/unconfirmed-but-source-says-buster-posey-is-on-his-way-to-san-francisco/

Excited to see him get some ABs, wonder where Boch bats him in the order.

Madirishman
05-30-2010, 12:41 AM
Posey might be called up manana:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs/2010/05/28/unconfirmed-but-source-says-buster-posey-is-on-his-way-to-san-francisco/

Excited to see him get some ABs, wonder where Boch bats him in the order.

Batted 6th and went 3-for-4 with three RBIs. Great beat down of the D-Backs to celebrate the Posey promotion. Boche acknowledged that it might be a temporary stay for Posey but he should get to play 5 days a week while he's up.

Brent
05-30-2010, 01:18 AM
BUSTER!!!!

Brent
06-30-2010, 11:50 PM
I like the Chris Ray deal. We get a decent mid-relief guy in exchange for a guy who is no longer needed thanks to Buster.

hawkeye123
07-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Man, the giants have been frustrating to watch recently.

Torres, Sanchez, Huff, Burrell, Uribe, and Posey have all been great and are all playing at a playoff contention level, but guys like Rowand, Sandoval, and the Starting rotation have been really hurting us lately.

Hopefully someone in that rotation will spark some fire and get the rest of the rotation rolling as well. (I'm really hoping Bumgarner will get that spark).

Thank God we god rid of Bengie, he was decent during his time here, and i think he managed the best starting rotation in baseball very well, but everytime i saw him running around the bases I cringed at his speed.

Madirishman
07-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Molina was his slowest ever at the plate and around the bases this year, which is sad to say. He indeed could call a good game but with the starters slumping, Buster in waiting, Whiteside proving he can be a good spot-starter, and the fact that they got some value for him, it was time for Molina to go. His leadership will be missed but it's time for a youth movement.

The crappy thing is that if the Giants keep losing over the next two weeks, they'll be sellers all the way before the trade deadline, instead of buyers. If they can just find a way to make the playoffs, I think they have the kind of team that can win, anchored by the great pitching.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
07-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Last night's win made up for last year's Rockies game SF dropped. That was AWESOME! Hand Posey the ROY.

Brent
07-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Bochy has his moments. Awesome move when he called out Mattingly.

Borat
07-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah, last night's win was, umm, full of WIN.

CJSchneider
07-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Bochy has his moments. Awesome move when he called out Mattingly.

If Donny Baseball is gonna ever make the move to full time skipper, he better stop making brain fart mistakes like that.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
08-08-2010, 11:24 PM
When is the last time there been some good bulletin board material posted by a player from the bay area? Last one I could think was Julian Peterson against the Cowboys in '05.
Yet Sanchez really opened eyes with his comments after today’s game.

“We are going to make the playoffs,” Sanchez said, without an ounce of prompting.

Asked again, for clarification, if he was guaranteeing the Giants will make the playoffs, Sanchez said, “Yeah, we will.”

“San Diego has been winning series all year. … But we’re going to play San Diego now and we’re going to beat them three times. If we get to first place, we’re not going to look back.”

I know Dirty no hit them last season but he is one guy that shouldn't be writing checks his a** can't cash. Especially with one series before the Pads even come into town. Friday can't get here soon enough.

Madirishman
08-09-2010, 08:29 PM
When is the last time there been some good bulletin board material posted by a player from the bay area? Last one I could think was Julian Peterson against the Cowboys in '05.

I know Dirty no hit them last season but he is one guy that shouldn't be writing checks his a** can't cash. Especially with one series before the Pads even come into town. Friday can't get here soon enough.

I'll be in town and I have tix to that game and for Saturday as well. Looking forward to them kicking some Padre a** and taking possession of first place for good.

hawkeye123
09-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Some thoughts on the Giants over the past month or so:
-We are a better team than the Rockies, Dodgers, and Reds. We just don't seem to play near our potential against the Padres, Braves, and Phillies.
-I really like all the moves Sabean has done to get us some help. Ross and Gullien are great for depth and some extra juice for our lineup, but they are old and slow as ****.
-If we make the playoffs, Buster Posey is the ROY and our MVP. If we don't make the playoffs and the Rockies/Padres do, Sabean should be fired.
-Were a better team than the Rockies in every way, the only guys that they have that are better then us is Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki.
-The G-men bats are miserably inconsistent. One day were a slugfest team scoring runs like they're nothing. The next day we get absolutely shutout, scoring a single run is just not possible.
-We desperately need some speed. If we can get 3 or 4 guys in the lineup that are actually a threat on the bases, we would be ahead of the Padres right now.
-The Padres are leaking oil. Leave it to the crappy Dodgers to not get a win against them after the Pad's were on a 10-game losing streak.
-Our starting rotation is great. The only guy in our rotation that is pitching average is Zito.

We've got a pretty soft schedule coming up againist the Brewers and Diamondbacks. The G-men gotta step it up and smash these much weaker teams. That 3-game series vs the Padres at th eend of the season is looking like its gonna decide the playoffs for us.

Madirishman
09-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Good observations Hawkeye. The Giants have ZERO excuses to not make the playoffs. I'm calling it now that the Giants win the West and the Rockies beat out the Padres for 2nd place and possibly the Wild Card spot.

My Posey jersey is arriving this week so I'll have it for the stretch run and the playoffs. :)

LizardState
09-12-2010, 11:20 AM
It's a miraculous season when you reach September & the Giants aren't having their postseason dreams annihilated by the hated Dodgers.

Splitting a couple of 1-0 games with the Padres is like a win-win to me, they're not dorking up a good season with bumbling the last 10 or so games.

It will be great to see the Giants in the postseason again, October fog in McCovey Cove, maybe Posey will hit that coke bottle & win a million $.

abaddon41_80
09-17-2010, 08:20 AM
First place! So, assuming we do make the playoffs, what does our rotation look like? Zito, lets face it, has been terrible the last 1.5 months while Cain and Sanchez have both been great.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
09-17-2010, 09:37 AM
First place! So, assuming we do make the playoffs, what does our rotation look like? Zito, lets face it, has been terrible the last 1.5 months while Cain and Sanchez have both been great.

Amazing they are back in first. I thought, about a month ago, that Giants most realistic shot was at the wild card and I wanted to wash my hands of Sanchez after the Padres start. And now the Giants are back in first after his brilliant start.

Looking ahead the final off day for SF is Aug 27th and I could see them reshuffling the rotation to set up the big guys for the final Padres series of the year. But, right now, I would be looking at a 3 man rotation with Timmy, Cain, and Sanchez. With only 2 games back to back and it being a 5 game series I would cut it down to our 3 most consistant guys.

Madirishman
09-17-2010, 09:56 AM
They have a battle down the stretch ahead, but right now I see the playoff rotation as such: Lincecum, Cain, Zito, Sanchez. First place! YES!!!!

Brent
09-17-2010, 10:55 PM
that is likely the playoff rotation; however, given Timmy's ability to never ice his shoulder and pitch every day, I would love if it were:

Lincecum
Cain
Lincecum
Zito
Lincecum
Sanchez

abaddon41_80
09-26-2010, 05:38 PM
So at least the Giants won and Lincecum/Cain have looked fantastic recently. If Zito does not get bounces behind Sanchez at least I will be angry to say the least