PDA

View Full Version : If Mike Vick stayed for Sr. year. Vick or Palmer no. 1?

dregolll
05-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Both guys were former #1 overall picks in their respective draft classes. The question is, which would go 1st overall if Vick stayed for his senior year.?Carson Palmer had a monster year that year also.

CC.SD
05-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Both guys were former #1 overall picks in their respective draft classes. The question is, which would go 1st overall if Vick stayed for his senior year.?Carson Palmer had a monster year that year also.

Carson had no flaws as a prospect, he was a QB machine. The only knock was that he hadn't been consistent throughout his entire collegiate career, but the finished product was ready for battle. Vick had knocks on accuracy and whether or not he could make the transition (reasons the SD Chargers had traded down instead of picking him the year before), Carson was the ultimate safe bet.

Obviously Vick's upside is unparalleled (zomg Elway poll??) but I think ultimately Carson would be the pick.

Paul
05-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Palmer probably would of went #1. A traditional QB with great size, crazy arm and some very nice measurables. Teams would of seen him as the safer pick.

bored of education
05-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Ughhhhh what if threads = suckage

what if you never made this thread = me HAPPY!

and yes im trollling

and carson palmer > life!

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Ughhhhh what if threads = suckage

what if you never made this thread = me HAPPY!

and yes im trollling

and carson palmer > life!

Ughhhhh post = suckage

What if you never made this post = me HAPPY!

UKfan
05-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm getting deja vu...

duckseason
05-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Depends on which team was picking. If it were still the Bengals, I'd have to guess Palmer, since it's been proven that they already liked him enough to spend the #1 overall on him. Just going on odds there.

But when you think about how big a star Vick would have become over the course of the ensuing two years....wow. I'd say a team like the Bengals would probably have went for him.

But, maybe more tape wouldn't necessarily have been a good thing. Who knows how he would have developed.

If I were forced to put money on it and then go back in a time machine to find out, I'd say Vick. But it would depend on who was picking.

One thing's for certain: They'd both have been selected before Carr and Harrington in '02.

niel89
05-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Palmer would have been the safer pick, but Vicks potential was/is unreal. I think that Palmer would be the pick though.He just had so few flaws.

Yatta!
05-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Obviously it depends on the franchise picking but I think Vick would have been the pick. He had an absolutely incredible upside, he was a one of a kind prospect and offered a unique skillset.

holt_bruce81
05-18-2009, 03:45 PM
It would of been Mike Vick. The dude was a freak of an athlete. Was fast and had moves like a Running Back and had a cannon for an arm.

diesel
05-18-2009, 04:38 PM
But he can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Palmer every day of the week.

j05son
05-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Vick, jail time, dog fighting, the Bengals.

Sounds like a match made in Heaven IMO.

E-Man
05-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Depends on which team was picking. If it were still the Bengals, I'd have to guess Palmer, since it's been proven that they already liked him enough to spend the #1 overall on him. Just going on odds there.

But when you think about how big a star Vick would have become over the course of the ensuing two years....wow. I'd say a team like the Bengals would probably have went for him.

But, maybe more tape wouldn't necessarily have been a good thing. Who knows how he would have developed.

If I were forced to put money on it and then go back in a time machine to find out, I'd say Vick. But it would depend on who was picking.

One thing's for certain: They'd both have been selected before Carr and Harrington in '02.

I agree with the bold statement. You just never know what coach or GM would've preferred. Of course it's easy to look at their careers and think Carson all the way, but there just isn't a certainty with the future. Some GM might have preferred Vick's potential over Carson's ability, and they could've pulled that trigger based on that.

Staubach12
05-18-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one. I think Vick's potential was the greatest we've ever seen out of a QB. I think Vick's potential would tempt GMs past picking Palmer. All this being said, I liked Palmer better as a prospect. Vick had immense potential, but Palmer was nearly everything you'd ever want out of a QB prospect.

Crickett
05-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Quick reminder: Vince Young was drafted ahead of Matt Leinart. I think that answers this question.

the decider13
05-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Palmer is da stuff

Brodeur
05-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Quick reminder: Vince Young was drafted ahead of Matt Leinart. I think that answers this question.

I don't think this really works since Leinart has a horrid arm and Vince Young, while athletic, isn't even close to the athlete that Vick is/was.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-18-2009, 07:56 PM
If Oakland had the #1 overall pick, it would be Vick; If any other NFL team had the choice, it'd be Palmer.

holt_bruce81
05-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Anyone saying it would of been Palmer just doesn't remember Vick coming out of College and how insanely good he was and was going to be in the NFL.

duckseason
05-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Anyone saying it would of been Palmer just doesn't remember Vick coming out of College and how insanely good he was and was going to be in the NFL.
They also may be forgetting that we're not talking about Vick as a RS Soph. He'd have had 2 full years to develop further and would have been one of the biggest stars in the history of CFB, assuming he stayed healthy.

the decider13
05-18-2009, 08:13 PM

The same can be said of Palmer...he was insane is senior year and a borderline flawless prospect.

Vick woulda been amazing if he had stayed, but I think Palmer was a much more prototypical QB, which is what most teams look for.

d34ng3l021
05-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't think this really works since Leinart has a horrid arm and Vince Young, while athletic, isn't even close to the athlete that Vick is/was.

Not to say that the comparison is valid, but it slightly evens out. Vick > Young, Palmer > Leinart.

I wish I couldve seen Palmer and Vick as prospects. They must have been insane.

duckseason
05-18-2009, 08:16 PM
The same can be said of Palmer...he was insane is senior year and a borderline flawless prospect.

Vick woulda been amazing if he had stayed, but I think Palmer was a much more prototypical QB, which is what most teams look for.

But Vick is an obvious exception to the rule, and he already proved that by going first overall as a RS Soph. One of the best athletes to ever enter the draft is tough for a lot of teams to pass on.

CC.SD
05-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Not to say that the comparison is valid, but it slightly evens out. Vick > Young, Palmer > Leinart.

I wish I couldve seen Palmer and Vick as prospects. They must have been insane.

Vick especially. That was a crazy offseason. My Bolts had the number 1 pick and were coming off the year of Leaf, 1-15. Grrrreat times. We got some halfback with a funny name instead.

senormysterioso
05-18-2009, 09:16 PM
If Mike Vick played another year of college football he probably would have won the Heisman, maybe competed for a national championship and the hype machine would have been at a level nobody has ever seen before. It would have been almost impossible to pass on him, but then again the Chargers went ahead and did just that

jkpigskin
05-18-2009, 10:57 PM
this is an interesting issue. I always think about where people went and where they would go in another draft.

i actually think the bengals might've taken mike vick. They had a strong running game and not much of receivers (i think chad was either finished his first or second year and the bengals needed a sparkplug. So i feel like mike vick would've been the pick

CashmoneyDrew
05-19-2009, 12:57 AM

The ONLY reason this happened is because Bud Adams intervened and made that pick himself. Otherwise it more than likely would have been Leinart or a trade down for Cutler.

Bengalsrocket
05-19-2009, 01:12 AM
Bengals just got burnt on Akili Smith 5 years earlier taking an unproven QB with great athletic talent. No, I'm not saying Smith was anywhere near the prospect that Vick was, I'm simply stating that Akili was also a young QB coming out of the draft who was hyped for his rushing ability rather than his throwing ability.

If we're under the assumption that the Bengals front office learns from past mistakes (and I could see why people would think that they don't) then Palmer would have easily been the only choice we could make.

If we could rewrite history and assume that neither Palmer nor Vick ever got in legal trouble or had any of their past injuries, I would still prefer Palmer to this day. He's the kind of guy who will rarely be doubted by fans and the franchise, which is something Cincinnati desperately needed at the time (and maybe even so today).

duckseason
05-19-2009, 03:10 AM
Bengals just got burnt on Akili Smith 5 years earlier taking an unproven QB with great athletic talent. No, I'm not saying Smith was anywhere near the prospect that Vick was, I'm simply stating that Akili was also a young QB coming out of the draft who was hyped for his rushing ability rather than his throwing ability.

If we're under the assumption that the Bengals front office learns from past mistakes (and I could see why people would think that they don't) then Palmer would have easily been the only choice we could make.

If we could rewrite history and assume that neither Palmer nor Vick ever got in legal trouble or had any of their past injuries, I would still prefer Palmer to this day. He's the kind of guy who will rarely be doubted by fans and the franchise, which is something Cincinnati desperately needed at the time (and maybe even so today).

You're misremembering about Smith. He wasn't drafted at all for his rushing ability. He rarely did anything of significance on the ground for us and all people talked about leading up to the draft was his incredibly strong arm and accuracy. He was athletic as hell and was extremely difficult to sack, but he wasn't known for his speed or rushing ability. He had the best arm of any QB in Oregon history.

Bengalsrocket
05-19-2009, 06:38 AM
You're misremembering about Smith. He wasn't drafted at all for his rushing ability. He rarely did anything of significance on the ground for us and all people talked about leading up to the draft was his incredibly strong arm and accuracy. He was athletic as hell and was extremely difficult to sack, but he wasn't known for his speed or rushing ability. He had the best arm of any QB in Oregon history.

Hrmm maybe I am. I coulda swore he was hyped for his super 40 time and people were questioning his throw arm because he came out early.

either way, Palmer was a safe pick, and that's exactly the Bengals needed at the time.

jkpigskin
05-19-2009, 10:46 AM

actually in my thought process, I said the bengals would pick vick because they did pick akili smith in the past. What better way to erase the memory of a bust pick but with a flashy pick that will bring spotlight to your team? then again, i would understand the idea of a "safe" pick. I just get the impression the bengals are not typically a "safe" team