PDA

View Full Version : Jim Johnson Takes an Indefinite Leave Of Absense

bigbluedefense
05-18-2009, 06:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4175216

This is sad news for the NFL. Hopefully he can get healthy and get back to what he does best: draw up ways to sack the quarterback.

He's one of my favorite defensive minds in league history. I love his scheme, and his modifications to the 46 defense. They really should allow coordinators to get into the HOF.

While I don't know the qualifications of his replacement, I don't think its debatable that the Eagles lose a lot if they don't have Jim Johnson calling the defense this year.

E-Man
05-18-2009, 06:07 PM
I agree with you on his mind man. I certainly hope that he gets through this thing.

Don Vito
05-18-2009, 06:08 PM
That's too bad, hopefully he gets through it. He has engineered some great defenses in Philly.

bored of education
05-18-2009, 06:11 PM
it sucks. i love McDermott. I wonder when he will get a DC position.

Gay Ork Wang
05-18-2009, 06:12 PM
i really love Jim Johnson :/

so 1 offseason and the NFL loses 2 of the 3 Defensive Gurus? thats sad

bigbluedefense
05-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Ive always loved the 46 defense. The 2 gap 3-4 and the 46 have always been my favorite schemes.

I love LeBeau's ZB as well.

Jim Johnson, Dick LeBeau, and Monte Kiffin are all pioneers of defense. We lost Kiffin to Tennessee, I really hope we can watch Johnson and LeBeau do their thing for many more years before they call it a career.

Staubach12
05-18-2009, 06:32 PM
To be truthful,the Cowboys fan in me is happy that he might be out. The football fan in me is sad. What a fantastic mind. He's changed the way defense is played. Best wishes to him and I hope he gets healthy soon.

PACKmanN
05-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Ive always loved the 46 defense. The 2 gap 3-4 and the 46 have always been my favorite schemes.

I love LeBeau's ZB as well.

Jim Johnson, Dick LeBeau, and Monte Kiffin are all pioneers of defense. We lost Kiffin to Tennessee, I really hope we can watch Johnson and LeBeau do their thing for many more years before they call it a career.

Wasn't it Don Capers who first started that 3-4 ZB scheme run in Pitts? I thought it was him.

bigbluedefense
05-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Wasn't it Don Capers who first started that 3-4 ZB scheme run in Pitts? I thought it was him.

LeBeau is the guy who is credited for inventing the zone blitz. He didn't create it in Pittsburgh, I believe he first did it with the Bengals, and then him and Capers fine tuned it in Pitt in the 90s.

I could be wrong.

Thumper
05-18-2009, 07:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4175216

This is sad news for the NFL. Hopefully he can get healthy and get back to what he does best: draw up ways to sack the quarterback.

He's one of my favorite defensive minds in league history. I love his scheme, and his modifications to the 46 defense. They really should allow coordinators to get into the HOF.

While I don't know the qualifications of his replacement, I don't think its debatable that the Eagles lose a lot if they don't have Jim Johnson calling the defense this year.

Sean McDerrmott will be replacing him during his leave of absence and he will replace him when he retires. Sean has worked under JJ for nearly a decade and is a huge part of the great secondary the Eagles always seem to have.

Get well soon Jim Johnson.

bigbluedefense
05-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Sean McDerrmott will be replacing him during his leave of absence and he will replace him when he retires. Sean has worked under JJ for nearly a decade and is a huge part of the great secondary the Eagles always seem to have.

Get well soon Jim Johnson.

I'm confident that the Eagles defense will still be beastly, and Im sure a Johnson's replacement has been groomed for quite some time now, but its still hard replacing a legend like that.

I'm surprised Spags didn't try to nab him out of Philly. I know Spags tried getting Guinta from the Giants to be his DC. Part of me thinks maybe we shouldve hired Guinta instead of Sheridan.

holt_bruce81
05-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Yeah I hope he gets through it and gets back to coaching. Love watching his defenses at work.

CC.SD
05-18-2009, 08:34 PM
The Dawkins effect.

Just kidding, this sucks. Comeo n back soon JJ.

Sniper
05-18-2009, 08:34 PM
He just designed a safety blitz to kill his cancer. He'll be back in no time.

CC.SD
05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
He just designed a safety blitz to kill his cancer. He'll be back in no time.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo60/CCSDphotos_2008/Picture1.png

Not high art but it's got emotion behind it.

Eagles own the NFC East
05-18-2009, 09:47 PM
I wish the best for Jim Johnson and his family. He has been one of football's greatest defensive minds for the past near decade.

bigbluedefense
05-19-2009, 11:05 AM
I wish the best for Jim Johnson and his family. He has been one of football's greatest defensive minds for the past near decade.

WAIT. HOLD THE **** UP.

I have a bone to pick with you. A Knicks fan AND an Eagles fan????!!!

what kind of blasphemous **** is this?

Giantsfan1080
05-19-2009, 11:28 AM
I agree with BBD. How can you be a fan of 2 NY teams and then a Philly team. It doesn't mix.

eaglesalltheway
05-19-2009, 02:42 PM
it sucks. i love McDermott. I wonder when he will get a DC position.
He will take voer whenever Johnson's career is over, whether that be sooner or later. I hope Johnson comes back, but for now, this is valuable time for McDermott for when he eventually does take over as DC. I hope to see a lot more of Jim Johnson, he is a tough guy, and I hope he will continue to fight.
i really love Jim Johnson :/

so 1 offseason and the NFL loses 2 of the 3 Defensive Gurus? thats sad

Don't count him out yet renji:(.

He had a press conference at the Eagles OTAs or whatever they were, and he seemed strong, and he sounded good. Obviously I'm not doctor, but things looked good for him 2 or 3 weeks ago.

yodabear
05-19-2009, 03:37 PM
This is a huge blow to not only the Eagles, but also to the NFL, I hope he is able to fight through his illness.