PDA

View Full Version : Trading Burgess to the Pats?

bernbabybern820
05-19-2009, 11:11 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/index.php/2009/05/19/report-pats-interested-in-acquiring-oaklands-burgess/

Getting a second rounder should be a no brainer.

Third rounder i would probably hesitate but it seems like he wouldn't re-sign after his contract is over anyways.

bored of education
05-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Hmm, interesting. I wonder if this falls through for a 2nd.

regoob2
05-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I dont see why you wouldnt take a 3rd. You guys arent a win now team so take the pick.

05-19-2009, 12:04 PM
I'd take a third rounder if it came to that, this has lingered for years so it's time to move on. Good opportunity for our young pass rushers to contribute, although I'd expect a collective effort in replacing his production. We saw what some of them could do for a good portion of last season when Burgess was out.

The team has probably been preparing for his departure for some time now, ideally I'd want Trevor Scott stepping in on a more full-time basis, but I'm not sure he has the necessary bulk to take over that role at this point in his career.

Stash
05-19-2009, 03:02 PM
I'd take a third rounder if it came to that, this has lingered for years so it's time to move on. Good opportunity for our young pass rushers to contribute, although I'd expect a collective effort in replacing his production. We saw what some of them could do for a good portion of last season when Burgess was out.

The team has probably been preparing for his departure for some time now, ideally I'd want Trevor Scott stepping in on a more full-time basis, but I'm not sure he has the necessary bulk to take over that role at this point in his career.
I wouldn't want Scott in there right now either. Like you said, the problem we have without Burgess is that most of the other DE's lack bulk (Scott, Sulak, Norris). Only Richardson and Shaughnessy (unproven rookie) look like guys who could play the first 2 downs. Richardson - Kelly - Warren - Shaughnessy = awful D-line lol. If we are going to trade Burgess, I don't know why we waited until now, should have done it before the draft.

Abaddon
05-24-2009, 06:37 PM
The notion that anyone, especially a well run team like the Pats, would give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Burgess is absolutely comical.

If anyone offers anything, Oakland should jump all over it.