PDA

View Full Version : Jahvid Best

hockey619
05-19-2009, 03:59 PM
What do you all think of Jahvid Best? i read he got up to 200 pounds this spring. ive only seen some highlights and stuff but he looked pretty good. didnt run aggressively but made guys miss and still ran mostly north south. Thoughts on him as a prospect?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-19-2009, 04:17 PM
An absolute stud. Right now in the 2nd round range and will most surely move up to a 1st round grade if not top 15. He's not a Chris Johnson in the sense of elusiveness, he's more like a stronger Reggie Bush.

Cigaro
05-19-2009, 04:56 PM
******* monster.

Staubach12
05-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Love this guy. He sees the field so well and uses his blocks even better. Great runner.

Yatta!
05-19-2009, 05:18 PM
He's my favourite back in this class, hoping for a big year. I think he ends up a 1st rounder.

'cuse-213
05-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Does anyone know his track times?

DeepThreat
05-19-2009, 05:31 PM
I don't follow what other people think about college football players very much. I basically scout them, and form my own opinions on them. While watching film on Alex Mack, I noticed Best. There should be an a after the e in his name cause he is a beast. I'd love for the Browns to get him in the 2nd, heck even the 1st. He is a stud.

brat316
05-19-2009, 05:32 PM
He has great top end speed I think he is faster than Bush. But I don't think he has Bush's accleration/change of direction ability, Best is ability is very good just not Bush good.

He is for sure a scat back, he doesn't break through tackles, or go through hand tackles, rather dancing through them, or breaking ankles. Maybe this year he can do that with the added weight, DeAngelo Williams and Chris Johnson showed they could break through tackles.

roscoesdad27
05-19-2009, 05:33 PM
An absolute stud. Right now in the 2nd round range and will most surely move up to a 1st round grade if not top 15. He's not a Chris Johnson in the sense of elusiveness, he's more like a stronger Reggie Bush.

c.j. had a really good year but he doesnt have the agility or elusiveness of bush....best is more like johnson than bush, fast north south runner with really good but not elite agility....bush has elite, barry sanders type agility...before his injury last season he was the ONLY player in the league to lead his team in rushing and recieving yards (on the #1 offense in the league no less) PLUS he was the nfl's scoring leader...getting sick of the bush hate and undermining!!!

i love best as a prospect and think he will go late first, early to mid second....i like c.j. spiller a lil better, his stats werent as good last season because of a piss poor o.l.

Go_Eagles77
05-19-2009, 05:42 PM
I'll piggy back off of the Reggie Bush comparisons. I don't think he's quite as athletically gifted as Bush but he has much better vision and will be the better NFL player.

TimD
05-19-2009, 05:52 PM
first time i saw him was the bowl game against the U. i Jizzed in my pants. i was kinda hoping for the jets to pass on a RB this year to take him next year. as long as the pats dont take him ill be happy haha

thadoniousmonk
05-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Remember him from high school track meets, and the fastest I've seen him the 100m was a 10.34. This was back in April 2006, so I'm sure he's improved his overall speed

Texas Homer
05-19-2009, 06:40 PM
He looked crazy fast in the Cal games that I caught last season. If he is up to 200 pounds and keeps all of his speed, then watch out.

Cigaro
05-19-2009, 06:43 PM
He's a first rounder by the time he comes out. No doubt.

Texas Homer
05-19-2009, 06:52 PM
He's a first rounder by the time he comes out. No doubt.
Do you think he is big enough for a RB to go in the 1st round? I know he has the talent, but does he have the frame?

Cigaro
05-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Do you think he is big enough for a RB to go in the 1st round? I know he has the talent, but does he have the frame?

Unless he comes in much smaller than reported, ~5'10,200 won't keep someone with the talent, athleticism, and production he has out of the first round.

Texas Homer
05-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Unless he comes in much smaller than reported, ~5'10,200 won't keep someone with the talent, athleticism, and production he has out of the first round.
I'm with ya and I'm pulling for him as well.

He is lightning fast.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-19-2009, 07:32 PM
I've only seen Best play in one game, against the Terps last year, and I was NOT impressed.

Maybe it was the cross country road trip to play Maryland, but I didn't see all that much that made me think he was one of the top five RBs in college.

Granted, Cal's whole football team didn't show up in that game, but USC had no problem ripping UVA a new a@@hole when they played them in Charlottsville, so maybe Cal and Best weren't as good as advertised.

People have told me that was one of the worst games by far he's played at Cal, but I don't know.

roscoesdad27
05-19-2009, 07:46 PM
I'll piggy back off of the Reggie Bush comparisons. I don't think he's quite as athletically gifted as Bush but he has much better vision and will be the better NFL player.

actually its just the opposite of what your saying...best has the physical tools but doesnt quite have reggies vision...bush has elite vision, how can you say best has better vision?...esp. as a prospect coming out of college!..bush didnt just shake people, he shook crowds of people and he could only achive this with tremendous vision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmm3uQW6CPE&feature=related

keylime_5
05-19-2009, 08:45 PM
crazy fast and a heck of a runner. Injury liability though and not that big, he'll have to be part of a 2 back system in the NFL really. He'll be in that 1st/2nd round discussion.

Race for the Heisman
05-19-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm with the Chris Johnson comparisons. He doesn't run like Reggie Bush in my mind, and the way he separates is very much like Chris Johnson. I think he'll go in a similar range (mid-late first). Maybe Jerious Norwood would be a different comparison.

Borat
05-19-2009, 08:52 PM
I've only seen Best play in one game, against the Terps last year, and I was NOT impressed.

Maybe it was the cross country road trip to play Maryland, but I didn't see all that much that made me think he was one of the top five RBs in college.

Granted, Cal's whole football team didn't show up in that game, but USC had no problem ripping UVA a new a@@hole when they played them in Charlottsville, so maybe Cal and Best weren't as good as advertised.

People have told me that was one of the worst games by far he's played at Cal, but I don't know.

You should totally evaluate him off of one game.

JFLO
05-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Best is my second best running back right in the entire class and to be honest, I'm having a hard time not putting him above Jonathan Dwyer for the #1 spot.

He's so versatile with crazy athleticism. If I had to favor a comparison over the other, I would go with Chris Johnson. He is definitely the type of player that can make an impact right away in the NFL. He's patient has great vision and should be a great speedster in a two back set.

holt_bruce81
05-19-2009, 09:46 PM
He's my favorite Back and my early pick for the Heisman. I can't wait to see him some more this season. He's going to be a good one at the next level.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-19-2009, 09:55 PM
c.j. had a really good year but he doesnt have the agility or elusiveness of bush....best is more like johnson than bush, fast north south runner with really good but not elite agility....bush has elite, barry sanders type agility...before his injury last season he was the ONLY player in the league to lead his team in rushing and recieving yards (on the #1 offense in the league no less) PLUS he was the nfl's scoring leader...getting sick of the bush hate and undermining!!!

i love best as a prospect and think he will go late first, early to mid second....i like c.j. spiller a lil better, his stats werent as good last season because of a piss poor o.l.

Chris Johnson could make cuts like a mofo. I guess that's what I meant by elusiveness. His COD is unreal. Loses pretty much no speed in his COD.

brat316
05-20-2009, 09:59 AM
I actually think he is a faster version of Steve Slaton. The one thing that I don't like about Best is that he goes down on first contact, but thats why he is a scat back.

Reggie Bush lost no speed in with his COD abilities.

YAYareaRB
05-20-2009, 10:30 AM
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA Product son! He's a monster

YAYareaRB
05-20-2009, 10:40 AM
The one thing that I don't like about Best is that he goes down on first contact, but thats why he is a scat back.

You're not serious.

brat316
05-20-2009, 11:17 AM
You're not serious.

ohhh I am, he does break whimpy arm tackles by juking out guys and breaking ankles, but I never see him run through tackles, or lower the shoulders.

Chris Johnson and DeAngelo William were speed guys and they certainly did that.

But thats why I compare him to a faster Steve Slaton.

YAYareaRB
05-20-2009, 12:33 PM
ohhh I am, he does break whimpy arm tackles by juking out guys and breaking ankles, but I never see him run through tackles, or lower the shoulders.

Chris Johnson and DeAngelo William were speed guys and they certainly did that.

But thats why I compare him to a faster Steve Slaton.

I doubt DeAngelo Williams is as fast as Best.

I don't see the difference in Chris Johnson's tackle breaking as opposed to that of Jahvid Best. You can't just square up your shoulders on a player like Best because he's liable to juke you out of your cleats. Those are his tools. Don't fault a guy for using what he's good at. Maybe lowering your shoulder worked in the Conference USA but I hardly think 5'9" 217 lbs Williams and 6'0" 200 lbs Johnson do that much shoulder lowering now days.

brat316
05-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah...thats his style, I guess it just cause I have a bias towards Rbs that are tough grind it out runners.

YAYareaRB
05-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah...thats his style, I guess it just cause I have a bias towards Rbs that are tough grind it out runners.

Well you are fan of the team who had someone named the BUS and just drafted Frank the Tank so I guess it's natural.

brat316
05-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Well you are fan of the team who had someone named the BUS and just drafted Frank the Tank so I guess it's natural.

I still like the Original Frank "the Tank" Gore.

LizardState
05-20-2009, 02:37 PM
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA Product son! He's a monster

Best is THE best RB from the Bay Area since Oakland native Marshawn Lynch, same program but a totally different body & running style. ESPN featured him Monday & I noted the characteristic Tedford strategy at work with him, opening cutback lanes & allowing him to make use of his phenomenal change of direction in midstride.

The stat that leaps out at you is the highest yds/carry avg. in the nation. He looks short & small but when he turns on the jets he's got a Reggie Bushlike speed burst as noted earlier here. Kid is just a stunning pro prospect, the way he runs in space & with his awesome acceleration could earn him a fulltime job in the NFL as KR.

And that could be the best career path since the draft time knock on him will be that he isn't a north-south runner, not an everydown back, etc. so why not make use of his 21-yr-old speed when he's taken in the top 10?

They were speculating that's he's a legit Heisman contender if he stays healthy, but the Cal o-line he will be working behind lost 4 of its starting 5 from 08 besides All Americans Mack & Malele, & defenses are well aware of him now after his stellar bowl game performance. They have lots of footage of him in action to use to prepare when they face the Golden Bears, even below avg. Pac 10 defenses will be up for him. I think he will be a national name player on an also-ran Cal team -- they can't contest SC for the conference title, if anyone does it will be the Oregon Quackers.

YAYareaRB
05-20-2009, 02:50 PM
they can't contest SC for the conference title, if anyone does it will be the Oregon Quackers.

I beg to differ. Cal might be returning the most talented team

GhostDeini
05-20-2009, 03:05 PM
DeAngelo Williams was never described as fast. He did have amazing vision though, and decent moves.

brat316
05-20-2009, 03:12 PM
DeAngelo Williams was never described as fast. He did have amazing vision though, and decent moves.

He was fast, not lighting fast, ran a 4.40

Shahin
05-20-2009, 03:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCO0sRPJEZ8&feature=related

how do you embed videos?

djp
05-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Jahvid Best was the best back I saw last year in the whole country. He's going to be a tremendous prospect and the top back taken.

Sniper
05-20-2009, 04:11 PM

how do you embed videos?

When you put the youtube tags around it, just put the part that's after the = sign.

LCO0sRPJEZ8&feature=related

Sniper
05-20-2009, 04:11 PM

Does it matter? USC's winning again.

thetedginnshow
05-20-2009, 05:26 PM

I'd say Oregon State will look better than Cal.

roscoesdad27
05-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Chris Johnson could make cuts like a mofo. I guess that's what I meant by elusiveness. His COD is unreal. Loses pretty much no speed in his COD.

he doesnt change direction like bush or barry sanders.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-20-2009, 06:22 PM
he doesnt change direction like bush or barry sanders.

Reggie Bush cannot make the cuts Chris Johnson can.

BrabbitMcRabbit
05-29-2009, 03:58 PM
One of the most overrated skill prospects in the draft. Great college player, but tiny frame and durability problems make him a complementary back at the next level.

mellojello
07-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Best is better than Reggie Bush. While he has the same frame, speed, vision, and elusiveness, he runs between the tackles, something Bush never did in college or in the NFL. Bush is more of a WR playing in the backfield. Jahvid Best is more of typical Tedford type RB that does it all. Comparing him to recent Cal players, he's a Marshawn Lynch in a smaller body, but faster than Desean Jackson. One think to understand is that Cal runs a pro-style offense like SC, but Cal RB's all have to run inside, outside, catch, do everthing, plus be fast. Even if you are the backup, you're expected to do the same things. It's a very balanced offensive philosophy. When Bush was at SC, he was the "lightening" and White was the "thunder." Bush didn't run inside very often, that was White's job. He will be the RB that the Saints thought they were getting with Reggie Bush. Since Tedford arrived, Nnamdi Asomugha, Aaron Rogers, Marshawn Lynch, Desean Jackson, and Alex Mack have all come out of Cal. Mack was the first center taken in the 1st round in the last ten years, so I think Cal is on the NFL scouts radar and the days where their top players slip in the draft could be over. I think Best is a legit top 5 player in the draft and I say he'll get drafted in that range. Of couse, it's more conservative to say he's a late 1st or early 2nd round pick, but I just don't see 20 to 40 players in college better than him and the success of Cal's former players speak for themselves. He's got KO speed and in Philly's west coast offense, he can be that Westbrook-type player.

By the way, if Maryland was the only game you saw last year, let me know what you think of him after the rematch this year. I'm willing to bet one year's salary that they cannot contain Best twice and that the first game was a fluke.

As far as SC, well, they are great every year. Their program, especially their defense, seldom gets the respect is deserves. Watch what they do against a high scoring Cal team and you'll see they have the players and game plan to contain Best as difficult of a task as that is. It's just a chess match between Tedford, the offensive Guru vs. Pete, a defensive guru, but Pete has won that game of cat and mouse with a bevy of successful offesive players and coordinators. Of course, if your general perception is that the Pac-10 is weak because you don't watch many games, then you may not be impressed with SC winning by a 17 to 3 score, saying that SC isn't that good because they didn't win by 24 points and Best is not legit becaue he didn't break 100 yards. Obviously, football is a team sport and how good a team is impacts an individual's stats. Granted, Cal (especially the line) simply overmatches teams like Washington & Washington St. At the same time, SC simply overmatches Cal with superior depth, so they generally contain Cal's best players and grind out victories. Those kind of games don't make SportsCenter highlights, but it's good football, especially on Pete's part. From last year, I'd say Oregon and Miami were the two most similar teams in terms of overall talent on the field and Best had good games against both. He will never be the goal line back that pushes the pile for the TD, but more of the guy that either jumps over the entire pile or gets outside with his speed and good blocking. But he's definitely an every-down back that plays in a college program that requires him to do it all (run inside, outside, catch screen passes, go deep, block, protect the football) and along with his world class speed and squeeky-clean/LT-type personality, I don't see him slipping very far in the draft. Also, when people talk about durability issues, all RB's have durability issues. Being bigger doesn't make you more durable and Brandon Jacobs is a good example, but what RB hasn't been injured? Many people said the exact same thing about Desean Jackson (that he was too small), so teams drafted WR's that were taller and stronger, but that hasn't worked out very well. Perhaps there will be a RB with all of Best's qualities that is 6 inches taller and 20lbs heavier, but I didn't see that guy in this past draft or the upcoming one. He's better than all of the RB's from this past draft and will be the best of the bunch if he decides to comes out after this year.

YAYareaRB
07-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't compare him to Marshaw just yet. Marshawn was definitely bigger and a much stronger runner. I didn't get to read the whole post because that's too much of an eye ****.. I would refrain from writing that much and break it down in laments. Nice post though bro, you got a point of view and you provide proof instead of just saying it.

Sniper
07-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Best is better than Reggie Bush.

As a collegiate player, I'd vehemently disagree.

Also, Best would **** **** up in Philly's offense. I will agree with that.

Brent
07-19-2009, 09:26 PM
http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Stanford+v+California+1bH4pmsk27Rl.jpg

<33333333333333333

mellojello
07-19-2009, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't compare him to Marshaw just yet. Marshawn was definitely bigger and a much stronger runner. I didn't get to read the whole post because that's too much of an eye ****.. I would refrain from writing that much and break it down in laments. Nice post though bro, you got a point of view and you provide proof instead of just saying it. Thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind going forward. As far as Lynch, they are different backs, but in terms of the system they come from, they are asked to do the exact same things. Besides that, Lynch has stepped up his game in the NFL. He did a lot more dancing in college.

YAYareaRB
07-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind going forward. As far as Lynch, they are different backs, but in terms of the system they come from, they are asked to do the exact same things. Besides that, Lynch has stepped up his game in the NFL. He did a lot more dancing in college.

Yeah I remember.. We catch ALL, and I mean ALL the Cal games. I'm surprised we don't catch every freakin' practice down here.

I think the system that Best would best (no pun intended) be suited for is the ZBS. His cutback ability and running vision is second to none in this draft class.

mellojello
07-19-2009, 09:36 PM
As a collegiate player, I'd vehemently disagree.

Also, Best would **** **** up in Philly's offense. I will agree with that. You aren't alone. Bush was probably my favorite college player of all time back then and I believe he should have won two heismans. Anyone watching SC back then knew Bush saved the team on more than one occasion the year Leinheart won the heisman, but the best player doesn't always win the awards and get all of the attention. If Best slips in the draft, Philly is the perfect spot for Best. Best is better than McCoy, but I think McCoy is going to be real good.

Sniper
07-19-2009, 09:37 PM
You aren't alone. Bush was probably my favorite college player of all time back then and I believe he should have won two heismans. Anyone watching SC back then knew Bush saved the team on more than one occasion the year Leinheart won the heisman, but the best player doesn't always win the awards and get all of the attention. If Best slips in the draft, Philly is the perfect spot for Best. Best is better than McCoy, but I think McCoy is going to be real good.

He'd be a good fit, but I don't know if the Eagles would take him with Westbrook and McCoy on board.

Burger
07-19-2009, 09:42 PM
He would be the perfect back for the Packers, since he can do it all.

mellojello
07-19-2009, 09:44 PM
He'd be a good fit, but I don't know if the Eagles would take him with Westbrook and McCoy on board.Definitely should not take him. Like I said, I think McCoy is going to be real good. They need a good, tall red zone receiver (as opposed to all the crummy, tall receivers drafted every year). Kind of a Plax-type receiver, but almost every team needs that.

d34ng3l021
07-19-2009, 09:53 PM
I really want to see his inside the tackles ability, vision, patience with blocks, and whether he bounces it to the outside all the time.

I think the biggest problem scat backs have in adjusting to the NFL is the fact that they cant run it to the outside and have everyone beat like in college; they need to hit the inside hole hard and fast without hesitation or bouncing it out. Their vision and patience with blocks also plays an important role in whether they will be successful or not. I think those are the differences that separate the C. Johnsons and D. Williams of the world with the R. Bushs of the world.

Just my $.02

mellojello
07-19-2009, 09:55 PM
He would be the perfect back for the Packers, since he can do it all. If Grant puts up another stinky year, then I would say so, but I haven't given up on him yet even though he was the reason I lost my fantasy football league last year.

BamaFalcon59
07-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Since Tedford arrived, Nnamdi Asomugha, Aaron Rogers, Marshawn Lynch, Desean Jackson, and Alex Mack have all come out of Cal. Mack was the first center taken in the 1st round in the last ten years, so I think Cal is on the NFL scouts radar and the days where their top players slip in the draft could be over. I think Best is a legit top 5 player in the draft and I say he'll get drafted in that range. Of couse, it's more conservative to say he's a late 1st or early 2nd round pick, but I just don't see 20 to 40 players in college better than him and the success of Cal's former players speak for themselves.

Tedford was NNamdi's coach for one year. He didn't have much bearing on him being drafted high. And Cal has put out a good amount of talent, but not great. You also fail to mention Kyle Boller and players who disappointed, such as Nate Longshore.

Tedford is good, but he has also been known as a Coach whose players often look better in college than the pros.

Also, Mack was not the first center to go round one in the past ten years. Nick Mangold and Jeff Faine went round one to name a couple.

Also, the odds of a player with Best's frame going that high are slim. Even with your opinion on injuries, it is still a concern.

YAYareaRB
07-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Quarterbacks under Tedford's coaching
Joey Harrington
David Carr
Trent Dilfer
Akili Smith
Aaron Rogers
Kyle Boller
AJ Feely
Billy Volek

Runningbacks
Marshawn Lynch
Joe Echemandu
Justin Forsett
JJ Aarington
Jahvid Best

FOR THE RECORD, of course.

mellojello
07-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Tedford was NNamdi's coach for one year. He didn't have much bearing on him being drafted high. And Cal has put out a good amount of talent, but not great. You also fail to mention Kyle Boller and players who disappointed, such as Nate Longshore.

Tedford is good, but he has also been known as a Coach whose players often look better in college than the pros.

Also, Mack was not the first center to go round one in the past ten years. Nick Mangold and Jeff Faine went round one to name a couple.

Also, the odds of a player with Best's frame going that high are slim. Even with your opinion on injuries, it is still a concern. As far as centers being drafted in the first round, my mistake. I do know that Mack getting drafted in the 1st round was significant though. Bottom line is that there are many higher profile schools and coaches that are putting out players that get drafted higher and doing much worse at the next level. If Best drops in the draft because teams think he's too small, then it will not be any different than teams wishing they had drafted Desean Jackson. He's the real deal.

mellojello
07-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Quarterbacks under Tedford's coaching
Joey Harrington
David Carr
Trent Dilfer
Akili Smith
Aaron Rogers
Kyle Boller
AJ Feely
Billy Volek

Runningbacks
Marshawn Lynch
Joe Echemandu
Justin Forsett
JJ Aarington
Jahvid Best

FOR THE RECORD, of course.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he also coached Maurice Morris, Onterrio Smith, and Rueben Droughns while being the OC at Oregon.

mellojello
07-19-2009, 10:31 PM
I really want to see his inside the tackles ability, vision, patience with blocks, and whether he bounces it to the outside all the time.

I think the biggest problem scat backs have in adjusting to the NFL is the fact that they cant run it to the outside and have everyone beat like in college; they need to hit the inside hole hard and fast without hesitation or bouncing it out. Their vision and patience with blocks also plays an important role in whether they will be successful or not. I think those are the differences that separate the C. Johnsons and D. Williams of the world with the R. Bushs of the world.

Just my $.02

Fortunately, there's a lot of highlights of him all over the internet. He does not try to bounch it outside. He's very comfortable running inside. Lynch had a far bigger tendency to try to bounce it outside at Cal, but I was happy to see that he changed that since going to Buffalo.

YAYareaRB
07-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he also coached Maurice Morris, Onterrio Smith, and Rueben Droughns while being the OC at Oregon.

The list I was looking at only looked at the Cal RBs but since Tedford was coaching there I would think he was responsible for those three.

I actually got meet Tedford on a Unofficial trip up to Berkley. He's a cool guy. My JC coach was the QB Coach as Fresno State while Tedford was playing so my coach gets tickets to the games and whatnot.

So can we blame my coach for all these Pro QB **** ups? I THINK SO!

Paranoidmoonduck
07-19-2009, 10:44 PM
He's not Lynch by any stretch of the imagination. Lynch was a much more shifty scatback when he was about 200 lbs as a freshman and easily got to 225 by his junior year.

Considering that Best was largely written off as a track star by many when Cal recruited him (Shane Vereen was considered the big score at runningback), he's done really well for himself. His running instincts are actually really good and he's got a knack for shrugging off tackles that miss the mark slightly. Is he a first round guy? If he keeps averaging 8 yards a carry, probably. Chris Johnson having a big 2009 wouldn't hurt his chances any either.

I'll say late first/early second for right now.

mellojello
07-19-2009, 10:48 PM
My JC coach was the QB Coach as Fresno State while Tedford was playing.

Then it's your JC coach's fault Tedford never made it to the NFL!

mellojello
07-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I'll say late first/early second for right now.I think that implies that he's the 2nd to 4th RB taken. If Best played for USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, or LSU, people would not be projecting him so low. There would be no debate of who the best RB in the country is. He could run the ball for any one of those programs and do it just as effectively, but the difference is he would get more national coverage.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-19-2009, 11:14 PM
I think that implies that he's the 2nd to 4th RB taken. If Best played for USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, or LSU, people would not be projecting him so low. There would be no debate of who the best RB in the country is. He could run the ball for any one of those programs and do it just as effectively, but the difference is he would get more national coverage.

Listen, I'm a huge Cal fan. But Best isn't Adrian Peterson, he isn't LaDainian Tomlinson, and he isn't even Marshawn Lynch. He's almost certainly one half of a two back system, albeit a potentially great one. I need to see him go further (and go stronger) this year before I project him higher.

ChezPower4
07-19-2009, 11:21 PM
So can we blame my coach for all these Pro QB **** ups? I THINK SO!

Aaron Rodgers would like to have a word with you.

StackJaxx
07-19-2009, 11:47 PM
i have been on Jahvid since his sophomore year in high school.
the idea that he tries to bounce all his runs to the outside is a fallacy of those that have barely seen him play.
his most explosive and lengthy runs are up the middle, including the two 80+ yarders.
he does need to get a little bit bigger, around 210, but he can be a definite first round pick if Riley or Mansion are big enough passing threats to keep defenses honest.

no bare feet
07-20-2009, 06:55 AM
He reminds me of Jamaal Charles with the ability to hold on the ball and break tackles. So that really doesn't make him Jamaal Charles at all. So it would be safe to assume that his skill set would translate well in the NFL as a complimentary back to begin with and work his way to the premier back for some team. What round

YAYareaRB
07-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Then it's your JC coach's fault Tedford never made it to the NFL!

Like seriously.. Me and some of the other guys went out for Pizza with my coach and Tedford in Berkley. They had stories for days.

PACKmanN
07-20-2009, 10:26 AM
He's not Lynch by any stretch of the imagination. Lynch was a much more shifty scatback when he was about 200 lbs as a freshman and easily got to 225 by his junior year.

Considering that Best was largely written off as a track star by many when Cal recruited him (Shane Vereen was considered the big score at runningback), he's done really well for himself. His running instincts are actually really good and he's got a knack for shrugging off tackles that miss the mark slightly. Is he a first round guy? If he keeps averaging 8 yards a carry, probably. Chris Johnson having a big 2009 wouldn't hurt his chances any either.

I'll say late first/early second for right now.
I would love the Cal Connection of Rodgers and Best, zomg!!! <3

(yes, i wanted Lynch to be drafted by the Packers too.)

ChezPower4
07-20-2009, 10:32 AM
I would love the Cal Connection of Rodgers and Best, zomg!!! <3

(yes, i wanted Lynch to be drafted by the Packers too.)

Rodgers handing the ball to Best= Epic Win

I think best would be a star in our ZBS or any team that runs that scheme for that matter.

mellojello
07-21-2009, 03:13 AM
Listen, I'm a huge Cal fan.Then stop comparing him to RB's that he's clearly not. I think it's obvious that he would be that much better if he were bigger, but Chris Johnson, Reggie Bush, Steve Slaton, Kevin Faluk, Warrick Dunn, Tiki Barber, and Jahvid Best are all about the same height/weight. He can do everything you want , he's got great instincts, and he has the ability to take it the distance every time he touches the ball. At the end of the day, I simply don't see a more complete RB in college.

mellojello
08-27-2009, 09:05 PM
He would be the perfect back for the Packers, since he can do it all.If Best falls to the second round, I sure do hope he goes to a good team like the Packers since it doesn't look like Philly would take him. From what Philly fans are writing, McCoy is integrating well into Philly's offense (not a huge surprise)...damn, McCoy was fortunate to go there.

FUNBUNCHER
08-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Physically, he reminds me of CLinton Portis when he was drafted out of the U.
Portis was just under 200 pounds with breakaway speed and excellent cutback ability. He lasted until the 2nd, and has since bulked up to 215-220 pounds.
Portis has lost some of his long speed, but is a better overall RB now between the tackles.
Because of his size, I see Best being picked mid to late in the 1st to high in the 2nd.
If he can run a sub 4.33, I see someone taking Best in the mid to low 1st round.

YAYareaRB
08-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Portis was just under 200 pounds with breakaway speed and excellent cutback ability. He lasted until the 2nd, and has since bulked up to 215-220 pounds.
Portis has lost some of his long speed, but is a better overall RB now between the tackles.
Because of his size, I see Best being picked mid to late in the 1st to high in the 2nd.
If he can run a sub 4.33, I see someone taking Best in the mid to low 1st round.

I think Best might be faster than Portis, believe it or not

FUNBUNCHER
08-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah, YAY, I think Best as a collegian is much faster than Portis was at Miami.
Portis didn't have that raw track speed like Best, but in terms of overall size and running style, they appear to be very similar prospects.

YAYareaRB
08-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah, YAY, I think Best as a collegian is much faster than Portis was at Miami.
Portis didn't have that raw track speed like Best, but in terms of overall size and running style, they appear to be very similar prospects.

Yeah.. Portis may be a bit stronger too. But the running style is similar.

mellojello
08-29-2009, 07:49 PM
If he can run a sub 4.33, I see someone taking Best in the mid to low 1st round.Where can I find some Portis highlights from the U?

TACKLE
08-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Where can I find some Portis highlights from the U?

It's not great but take what you can from it.

tP30EoO53bw

mellojello
08-30-2009, 11:13 PM
It's not great but take what you can from it.

tP30EoO53bwThat was sweet. Thanks.

GhostDeini
08-31-2009, 12:01 AM
I seen a youtube video of Portis racing Laron Landry and they both came out tied. Anyway, the thing that seperates Portis from all his comparisions is his physicality. He is the best at blitz pick up in the league and gets the tough 3 yard gains that sustain drives.

FUNBUNCHER
08-31-2009, 01:00 AM
GhostDeini, I saw that race too on the local news here in Northern Virginia.

Portis doesn't play near that fast in games anymore, but he's still a very good, productive running back.

Vox Populi
09-01-2009, 04:40 PM
That was sweet. Thanks.

****, if Gore and McGahee didn't get their knees torched in college we'd have two more AD's than we have now :(

mellojello
09-01-2009, 10:12 PM
****, if Gore and McGahee didn't get their knees torched in college we'd have two more AD's than we have now :(What's an AD?

09-01-2009, 10:16 PM
What's an AD?

I believe he's referring to Adrian Peterson.

Nalej
09-01-2009, 10:17 PM
****, if Gore and McGahee didn't get their knees torched in college we'd have two more AD's than we have now :(

No we wouldn't. AD isn't human. He's the half son of Zeus.

mellojello
09-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks 619.

Good start to the season for the Bears vs. Maryland, but I was wishing for more touches for Best tonight.

TACKLE
09-06-2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks 619.

Good start to the season for the Bears vs. Maryland, but I was wishing for more touches for Best tonight.

I wouldn't worry about it. The most impressive thing about his stat line is his YPC. 13.7 yards per carry is pretty darn impressive.

mellojello
09-06-2009, 01:39 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. The most impressive thing about his stat line is his YPC. 13.7 yards per carry is pretty darn impressive.I think they were trying to get other guys going, particularly the passing game. I still wanted to see more Jahvid, you know what I mean?

mellojello
09-06-2009, 01:54 AM
I actually got meet Tedford on a Unofficial trip up to Berkley.Just caught this, but you played college football?

Malaka
09-06-2009, 09:46 AM
How did Jahvid Best do last night??

SeanTaylorRIP
09-06-2009, 12:44 PM
How did Jahvid Best do last night??

10 carries, 137, yards, and 2 TD's with a long 73 yard TD untouched, and another T.D. which he jumped over the pile. Cal won 53-13 so he hardly played. If Kevin Riley plays the way he did tonight Best is going to have open lanes all season long. Marvin Jones at WR looked extremely impressive.

CashmoneyDrew
09-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Just caught this, but you played college football?

He currently plays I believe. Walking-on at Utah IIRC? Hopefully Yay can clear that up.

Race for the Heisman
09-06-2009, 02:11 PM
He currently plays I believe. Walking-on at Utah IIRC? Hopefully Yay can clear that up.

I thought it was Idaho State?

CashmoneyDrew
09-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I thought it was Idaho State?

I thought something happened with Idaho State classes wise so he's turning down their scholarship and walking on at a bigger school. I could be wrong though.

mellojello
09-06-2009, 07:00 PM
How did Jahvid Best do last night??Basically, he did what he does. No real surprises. The bigger story is Cal's passing game is improved, which isn't saying much since it didn't even exist at times last year. The more college games I watched, the more I realize that Oregon wasn't prepared at all.

mellojello
09-06-2009, 07:13 PM
By the way, if Maryland was the only game you saw last year, let me know what you think of him after the rematch this year. I'm willing to bet one year's salary that they cannot contain Best twice and that the first game was a fluke.Unofortunately, nobody took me up on this. :(

SeanTaylorRIP
09-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Everyone knew the game was a fluke. Last year Maryland's D gave up monster running games to crappy ACC backs.

mellojello
09-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Everyone knew the game was a fluke. Last year Maryland's D gave up monster running games to crappy ACC backs.I knew and maybe you knew, but there were a lot of skeptics. Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I heard something like, "well against good teams like USC and MARYLAND???, Jahvid Best didn't do anything." I was scratching my head on those type of comments.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Cal got behind too early against Maryland last year to get Javhid in rhythm. Also with zero threat of a passing game The Terps stacked the box. I'm glad for Cal though it's been a tough year against Maryland. First losing in the upset to the terps with Best being shut down then being knocked out of the NCAA tournament by the Terp bball team.

mellojello
09-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Good article about the guy behind the success of Cal's RB's.

http://www.dailycal.org/article/106628/pay_no_attention_to_that_man_behind_the_curtain

mattrice
09-17-2009, 03:49 PM
He looks great, but as of right now I don't think he's ready for the NFL. By the end of the season, I'll probably be eating my words.

Scott Wright
09-17-2009, 05:17 PM
I just "Tweeted" about Jahvid Best today.

If you aren't following my on Twitter what are you waiting for? :)

http://www.twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Sniper
09-17-2009, 06:05 PM
I just "Tweeted" about Jahvid Best today.

If you aren't following my on Twitter what are you waiting for? :)

http://www.twitter.com/DraftCountdown

I went to your Twitter.

@Talpostal Michigan's Zoltan Mesko is easily the top punting or kicking prospect for the 2010 Draft. He could go as high as the mid rounds.

This convinced me to keep going back. You know what's up.

mellojello
09-19-2009, 06:37 PM
I heard an announcer today call Jahvid Best a mini-version of AD? I start to worry when the mass media finally catches onto one of my Bears or the team, then start pulling stuff out of their a**. Is there any credence whatsoever to this statement?

Shane P. Hallam
09-19-2009, 06:40 PM
As Scott as said, a comparison to Chris Johnson is much better than AP.

Thumper
09-19-2009, 06:44 PM
He is so explosive but he doesn't even carry the load in college which means he likely will not be doing that in the NFL either.

Personally I would compare him to Brian Westbrook, only faster.

mellojello
09-20-2009, 12:51 AM
he doesn't even carry the load in college.You can't be serious. How does he not carry the load for Cal?

kalbears13
09-20-2009, 12:56 AM
You can't be serious. How does he not carry the load for Cal?

He only had 194 carries last year. Vereen had 142.

This year, he doesn't even have half the carries.

AD carried it 339 times in 2004. He was injured for half of 2006 and part of 2005 but still averaged carrying it 28 times a game. Best hasn't been close to that.

YAYareaRB
09-20-2009, 12:57 AM
I move that Jahvid Best will now be referred to as Jahvid Beast. All in favor say I.

Violators will be Rep Raped.

yo123
09-20-2009, 12:59 AM
I heard an announcer today call Jahvid Best a mini-version of AD? I start to worry when the mass media finally catches onto one of my Bears or the team, then start pulling stuff out of their a**. Is there any credence whatsoever to this statement?

He is absolutely nothing like AD. He's a great runner but not nearly as physical and relies more on his speed (rightfully so).

TACKLE
09-20-2009, 12:59 AM
I move that Jahvid Best will now be referred to as Jahvid Beast. All in favor say I.

Violators will be Rep Raped.

I think Jahvid "Best" is a pretty good name itself.

YAYareaRB
09-20-2009, 01:02 AM
I think Jahvid "Best" is a pretty good name itself.

You jive turkey.

TACKLE
09-20-2009, 01:10 AM
You jive turkey.

Jive Turkey! Now your just taking it way too far.

WCH
09-20-2009, 01:17 AM
I went to your Twitter.

This convinced me to keep going back. You know what's up.

I watched the Michigan vs. Eastern Michigan game today, and came away thinking that both punters had a future in the NFL, and that the EMU punter actually had a better single-game performance.

If you're a Michigander who enjoys watching punters do their thing, then this was the game of the millennium!

ElectricEye
09-20-2009, 01:18 AM
I got to see the Cal game this week, not something I'm able to do every week. Best is really fun to watch. He still looks small to me. He'll probably always be that way, but he's still probably the best runningback in whatever year he comes out.

mellojello
09-20-2009, 01:49 AM
He only had 194 carries last year. Vereen had 142.

This year, he doesn't even have half the carries.

AD carried it 339 times in 2004. He was injured for half of 2006 and part of 2005 but still averaged carrying it 28 times a game. Best hasn't been close to that.That makes sense. That's why Marshawn Lynch, who only carried the ball 196 times his sophmore year and 223 times his junior year is not as good in the NFL as Justin Forsett, who carried the ball 305 times his senior year. Thanks for educating me on the 300+ carry club.

By the way, did you see today's game, where he scored all 5 td's? Cal loses that game without him "not" carrying the load.

Thumper
09-20-2009, 02:17 AM
That makes sense. That's why Marshawn Lynch, who only carried the ball 196 times his sophmore year and 223 times his junior year is not as good in the NFL as Justin Forsett, who carried the ball 305 times his senior year. Thanks for educating me on the 300+ carry club.

By the way, did you see today's game, where he scored all 5 td's? Cal loses that game without him "not" carrying the load.

Your Homer is showing. That, or you have absolutely no idea what it means to carry the load.

A guy who can carry the load is a workhorse back aka Jonathan Dwyer or Evan Royster. In the NFL these guys are Steven Jackson, Michael Turner, Adrian Peterson and Matt Forte. A guy who does not carry the load are Jahvid Best or in the NFL Darren Sproles, Ahmad Bradshaw, Reggie Bush etc. etc. etc. Jahvid Best lacks the frame to take the beating of 20+ carries a game and it doesn't help that he doesn't even carry the load in college.

The only way he will ever be a workhorse RB is if he goes to the Eagles to replace Westbrook which is highly unlikely due to Shady McCoy. Simply put, Best is a fantastic weapon and he will be a mismatch in the NFL but one thing he will not be doing is taking a ton of carries. He will return kicks, return punts, line up at receiver, be a third down back and a change of pace guy in the mold of afore mentioned players like Bradshaw, Sproles and Bush who he will be very similar to in the NFL. At best he will be similar to Chris Johnson last year who topped 20 carries in a game once.

I know the homer in you will deny this until the day Jahvid Best retires and even then you will probably say something like "Imagine how good he could of been had he carried the load." But, I firmly believe that Best will be a situational guy in the NFL due to his size.

And just so you know you just compared a small back in Best to Marshawn Lynch who probably has about 20-30 pounds on Best and play nothing alike.

mellojello
09-20-2009, 02:44 AM
A guy who can carry the load is a workhorse back aka Jonathan DwyerGot it...so it's better to have a "carry the load," back aka Jonathan Dwyer, that rushes 5 times for 7 yards against Miami because he can be used every down, as opposed to Jahvid Best, who rushed 20 times for 186 yards because Jahvid is only good for 3rd downs and passing plays? Thanks Thump, I know who I can turn to for trusted and unbiased football guidence going forward.

Thumper
09-20-2009, 03:02 AM
Got it...so it's better to have a "carry the load," back aka Jonathan Dwyer, that rushes 5 times for 7 yards against Miami because he can be used every down, as opposed to Jahvid Best, who rushed 20 times for 186 yards because Jahvid is only good for 3rd downs and passing plays? Thanks Thump, I know who I can turn to for trusted and unbiased football guidence going forward.

One game does not make a player first of all and second of all, I am totally biased against Cal... :rolleyes:

Way to pick that out though, any other problems with that post?

What I meant was, Jonathan Dwyer is 220+ pounds and will be able to take the workload of an NFL running game all game like Michael Turner, Adrian Peterson and Matt Forte and not be a situational guy unless he is the thunder in a rotation ala Jonathan Stewart. Dwyer has the girth and strength to carry the load for an NFL team, the speed and strength to run inside and out and the frame to absorb the beating of a 20+ carry game consistently in the NFL.

mellojello
09-20-2009, 04:04 AM
What I meant was, Jonathan Dwyer is 220+ pounds and will be able to take the workload of an NFL running game all game like Michael Turner, Adrian Peterson and Matt ForteGot it, you think Dwyer is the next Michael Turner, Adrian Peterson or big-bruiser Matt Forte. Cool. Why limit Dwyer though...what does your crystal ball tell you in terms of how he'll compare to Walter Peyton, Barry Sanders, or Emmitt Smith?

Jahvid Best can only "carry the load" as much as Chris Johnson, who by the way had the 12th most rushing attempts in the NFL last year. Got it.

And next to Dwyer, Evan Royster is your other college poster-child for an every down back. I see. Thanks again for enlightening me.

You're so legit

FUNBUNCHER
09-20-2009, 04:59 AM
How big is Best, really? Is he even 200 pounds? 5'10??

kalbears13
09-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Got it, you think Dwyer is the next Michael Turner, Adrian Peterson or big-bruiser Matt Forte. Cool. Why limit Dwyer though...what does your crystal ball tell you in terms of how he'll compare to Walter Peyton, Barry Sanders, or Emmitt Smith?

Jahvid Best can only "carry the load" as much as Chris Johnson, who by the way had the 12th most rushing attempts in the NFL last year. Got it.

And next to Dwyer, Evan Royster is your other college poster-child for an every down back. I see. Thanks again for enlightening me.

You're so legit

Chris Johnson actually split the load with Lendale White on a team that ran the ball a lot. He had 251 while Lendale had 200. I really don't think a player like Chris Johnson or Jahvid Best will be able to handle a load of 350+ carries. They just won't be able to last the whole season. I'm not saying Best isn't a great runningback and doesn't have talent, he just won't be able to be an every down runningback like Adrian Peterson. Reggie Bush was drafted #2 overall and they knew that he had never carried the load and I don't think New Orleans expected him to ever carry the load. I would much rather have a situational player like Chris Johnson on my team over a player who could "carry the load" like Jamal Lewis just because Chris Johnson is that explosive and dynamic. All Jamal can do is take a hit.

Thumper
09-20-2009, 11:42 AM
How big is Best, really? Is he even 200 pounds? 5'10??

5'10" and 195 pounds officially... He looks lighter than that, he looks like a WR running the ball almost.

And I meant to -rep you MelloJello, believe me I wouldn't +rep you for this blind homerism.

Babylon
09-20-2009, 12:03 PM
I got to see the Cal game this week, not something I'm able to do every week. Best is really fun to watch. He still looks small to me. He'll probably always be that way, but he's still probably the best runningback in whatever year he comes out.

Obviously a great college back but not sure how highly rated he'll be for the draft. Size and probably speed is going to be what i'd be curious about.

brat316
09-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Obviously a great college back but not sure how highly rated he'll be for the draft. Size and probably speed is going to be what i'd be curious about.

If he can bulk up like Portis did he should be fine.

Babylon
09-20-2009, 12:48 PM
If he can bulk up like Portis did he should be fine.

Agree, i see him in that Marshawn Lynch/Thomas Jones category also.

derza222
09-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Best isn't going to be the back that you pound it with all game, but those backs are starting to get phased out of the NFL anyway. I think the point that is trying to be made is you can still get him a lot of touches and he can handle it. Somewhere around 15-20 touches a game gets a back the ball in his hands quite a bit over the course of the season, as long as he can avoid injury. There certainly is a role for a player like Best at the NFL level and he looks like he has the potential to be a really good player.

brat316
09-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Best isn't going to be the back that you pound it with all game, but those backs are starting to get phased out of the NFL anyway. I think the point that is trying to be made is you can still get him a lot of touches and he can handle it. Somewhere around 15-20 touches a game gets a back the ball in his hands quite a bit over the course of the season, as long as he can avoid injury. There certainly is a role for a player like Best at the NFL level and he looks like he has the potential to be a really good player.

15-20 touches compared to handling a running load is different. 20 pure rushing attempts a game comes out to 320 rush attempts pretty much a full load. Compared to like say 12 rush attempts and 8 pass touches, still comes out to 320 touches but not having to take the pounding of 320 rush attempts, only 192.

Also if you look back to say Williams and Ronnie Brown, two backs that split carries in college sort of started the recent trend in college. And then they still became first round picks. But then you notice that backs that split carries in college, end up having to split carries in the NFL. Why, because they are not used to carrying a full season load of rushes. Ones that try to take a full load, end up getting injured. List of a few Caddy Williams, R. Brown, Bush, Lendale White, Laurence Maroney, Marion Barber.

Saints-Tigers
09-20-2009, 03:49 PM
There are so many good backs throughout the drafts, it's kind of stupid to put all of your chips on one back.

Even Peterson, they should probably lighten his load a bit in the first half at least a tad, I know he's a monstrosity, but let him split carries in the first half while you wear out the D, then unleash the beast in the 2nd half, where he usually does his damage.

mellojello
09-20-2009, 05:48 PM
I would much rather have a situational player like Chris Johnson on my team over a player who could "carry the load" like Jamal Lewis just because Chris Johnson is that explosive and dynamic. All Jamal can do is take a hit.Haha...that's funny

derza222
09-20-2009, 06:48 PM
15-20 touches compared to handling a running load is different. 20 pure rushing attempts a game comes out to 320 rush attempts pretty much a full load. Compared to like say 12 rush attempts and 8 pass touches, still comes out to 320 touches but not having to take the pounding of 320 rush attempts, only 192.

Also if you look back to say Williams and Ronnie Brown, two backs that split carries in college sort of started the recent trend in college. And then they still became first round picks. But then you notice that backs that split carries in college, end up having to split carries in the NFL. Why, because they are not used to carrying a full season load of rushes. Ones that try to take a full load, end up getting injured. List of a few Caddy Williams, R. Brown, Bush, Lendale White, Laurence Maroney, Marion Barber.

I absolutely agree, I never said he could carry a running load. But he's an explosive guy who is versatile enough to allow teams to get the ball in his hands in a variety of plays, and he's the type of player defenses will probably have to account for when he's on the field. He's not going to be a carry the load back, but he can absolutely be a very valuable piece for an offense and handle a solid amount of touches over the course of a season.

To be honest I'm not sure how many backs who can carry a load will be coming out any more, and if they can I don't think teams will always let them. Keeping backs fresh and going with the hot hand is very popular right now in the NFL and has been very effective for a lot of teams. How many backs had 320+ carries last year?

Put Best in one of those situations (preferably with a ZBS) and he can be a talented and dangerous player who can play every down, but will spend a good portion of the game being spelled by a different back because he doesn't have the size to take hits pounding between the tackles all game.

ElectricEye
09-20-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't think anyone thinks that Jahvid Best will ever be a 300+ carry a year back, but like it was mentioned earlier in this thread, that whole thing is starting to die down anyway. What you will get from Best, however, is a complete back who can make explosive plays for you if you don't overdo his workload. I would take that over a bruising runningback that averages four yards a touch every time.

With a really, really weak class of senior runningbacks, I don't see how he isn't a first round pick if he keeps playing the way he's playing. Especially if Dwyer continues to stumble. Doesn't hurt that he can probably show up to the combine at about 205. He looks like he can still fill out a bit.

mellojello
11-15-2009, 12:22 AM
At this point, I think he has to come back, right??? Before the season, I didn't think there would be any chance he'd return for his senior year, but there is no point to going pro if he's not drafted in the 1st round. You won't hear me complain if he returns!

Brown Leader
11-17-2009, 10:47 PM
At this point, I think he has to come back, right??? Before the season, I didn't think there would be any chance he'd return for his senior year, but there is no point to going pro if he's not drafted in the 1st round. You won't hear me complain if he returns!

Concussions will hurt his stock. Not the position to have that kind of problem. How far might he drop?

Paranoidmoonduck
11-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Concussions shouldn't hurt his stock that much. We're talking one very mild one (he missed a few days of practice) followed by one that was incurred by a very uncommon crash to earth. That said, if he sits the rest of the regular season for Cal and doesn't come back with a vengeance in the bowl game (assuming he even plays the bowl game), it would probably be in his best interest to go back to school for one more year.

holt_bruce81
11-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Rams have been talking about a 1B Running back for a few years now. Deffinetly wouldn't mind drafting this guy in the 2nd round.

Brown Leader
11-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Concussions shouldn't hurt his stock that much. We're talking one very mild one (he missed a few days of practice) followed by one that was incurred by a very uncommon crash to earth. That said, if he sits the rest of the regular season for Cal and doesn't come back with a vengeance in the bowl game (assuming he even plays the bowl game), it would probably be in his best interest to go back to school for one more year.

And subject himself to another concussion without being paid? And I'm not sure how uncommon that crash to earth was-his concussion was uncommon, not the leap.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-18-2009, 02:13 PM
And subject himself to another concussion without being paid? And I'm not sure how uncommon that crash to earth was-his concussion was uncommon, not the leap.

I meant that the concussion wasn't easily attained nor were the circumstances to led to it particularly common.

Brown Leader
11-18-2009, 02:33 PM
I think i know what u meant but leaping and landing hard happens about every game. His particular fall was awkward but to suffer such a severe concussion had to be related to his previous one and should lead to concern. If his susceptibility was high it wouldn't have mattered about the circumstances, it was bound to happen. He'll be in countless collisions on the ground and through the air so i think his stock will take a hit-not drastic but significant. But if he returns and by some chance gets another concussion, it would be a serious flaw.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-18-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure I understand your perspective. Leaping and being knocked 8 feet into the air while flying forward then landing on your back and having your your body fold in half is not a common occurrence. In fact, that's the first time I've ever seen it happen. I'm also not sure why you're convinced it had anything to do with his previous, very minor, concussion. It isn't like that impact wasn't enough to cause a concussion regardless.

Babylon
11-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Rams have been talking about a 1B Running back for a few years now. Deffinetly wouldn't mind drafting this guy in the 2nd round.

I really doubt you guys can afford that luxury (rb in round 2). Later on in the draft maybe.

As for Best i'll go out on a short limb here and say his injury was more than a normal concussion and that he will be back next year Cal.

kalbears13
11-18-2009, 03:15 PM
I could sort of see why it would be a problem since the more concussions you get, the more likely it is you're going to get another concussion.

Brown Leader
11-18-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure I understand your perspective. Leaping and being knocked 8 feet into the air while flying forward then landing on your back and having your your body fold in half is not a common occurrence. In fact, that's the first time I've ever seen it happen. I'm also not sure why you're convinced it had anything to do with his previous, very minor, concussion. It isn't like that impact wasn't enough to cause a concussion regardless.

Leaping and getting knocked in the air-landing on your back is a common occurrence in football. Of course any particular fall is unique but Best landed on his back. The impact knocked him cold and his body reacted after that. Plenty athletes have taken falls on their back and not suffered concussions. I'm no head specialist but I suspect 2 concussions in consecutive games are related and to speculate on one being "very minor" because he missed just a few practices is not reliable.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-18-2009, 04:47 PM
It's "very minor" because it wasn't sustained in a game. It was sustained on a Wednesday and he played Saturday. That qualifies as "minor" in my book.

I'm just not sure how Best's concussion was caused by a common occurrence. It's like people who looked at Adrian Peterson's collarbone injury in college as something other than a freak occurrence. Granted, concussion for a runner aren't good, but Best hardly has a history of them.

Brown Leader
11-18-2009, 04:56 PM
That's right. It happened during the week-i'd forgotten. To me that makes it even more likely they were related. "Minor" or irresponsible. It only takes a couple-ask Westbrook. Actually not sure how many he's sustained but i don't recall any before now.

hagy34
11-18-2009, 05:15 PM
I really doubt you guys can afford that luxury (rb in round 2). Later on in the draft maybe.

As for Best i'll go out on a short limb here and say his injury was more than a normal concussion and that he will be back next year Cal.

I was thinking the exact same thing. That's the one position the Rams should probably stay away from!

mellojello
11-22-2009, 08:56 PM
And subject himself to another concussion without being paid?Great point that I didn't think of in terms of getting paid vs. suffering another concussion or another serious injury for that matter. Still, he's a special player and if he's going to get drafted after the first round right now, he's better served returning for his senior year.

Sucks for Vereen - he's been quietly waiting for his chance to be the #1 and I've been waiting for him too. Nobody ever believes me when I tell them that there is very little drop off, if any, with Best out and Vereen in. Best is a bit more "exciting," but they do virtually the same thing in the offense.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Great point that I didn't think of in terms of getting paid vs. suffering another concussion or another serious injury for that matter. Still, he's a special player and if he's going to get drafted after the first round right now, he's better served returning for his senior year.

Sucks for Vereen - he's been quietly waiting for his chance to be the #1 and I've been waiting for him too. Nobody ever believes me when I tell them that there is very little drop off, if any, with Best out and Vereen in. Best is a bit more "exciting," but they do virtually the same thing in the offense.

Vereen will get a year without Best even if Jahvid stays another year. He's only a Sophomore in terms of football eligibility.

SINCE1978
11-22-2009, 09:38 PM

Wow ... "short limb" that he returns? That would be shocking to me if Best returns. Especially with all the early season hype (Heisman talk this year) combined with a humbling injury & the looming rookie salary cap in 2011. If he is given 1st round grades he is a fool to return. It's a great opportunity for him to get picked up by a fringe play off team (around pick 18-24) and be that 8-12 touch a game back (a 1b back) that could ignite the right offense ... ie Green Bay?

mellojello
11-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Vereen will get a year without Best even if Jahvid stays another year. He's only a Sophomore in terms of football eligibility.No doubt, he'll get his year, but the guy was starting material from day 1. Best has gotten all of the attention, but I really think Vereen is that good. What's even more sick is that Vereen came to Cal with a 3.9 GPA.

mellojello
11-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Wow ... "short limb" that he returns? That would be shocking to me if Best returns. Especially with all the early season hype (Heisman talk this year) combined with a humbling injury & the looming rookie salary cap in 2011. If he is given 1st round grades he is a fool to return. It's a great opportunity for him to get picked up by a fringe play off team (around pick 18-24) and be that 8-12 touch a game back (a 1b back) that could ignite the right offense ... ie Green Bay?I'd love to see Best in GB.

Raiderz4Life
11-29-2009, 09:52 PM
I think Best is so overhyped and overrated...I think he'll bust in the NFL

mellojello
12-05-2009, 03:40 PM
I think Best is so overhyped and overrated...I think he'll bust in the NFLIf he went to the Raiders, I agree, he'd be a bust.

mellojello
01-02-2010, 05:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4790495

Hate to see him leave, but this guy is one of the best playmakers we've had at Cal and I wish him well at the next level. Brown Leader hit it on the money that he shouldn't subject himself to serious injury without getting paid - I'm not going to hate on that. He deserved all of the hype he recieved coming into the season and whatever NFL team gets him will get a well-trained RB imo.

jballa838
01-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Come on fall to seattle's late first (if we don't get CJ Spiller). Game changing athleticism is what Best brings to the table, second to only Spiller. Absolute terror in the right system and I really want to see him Punt Return.

mellojello
01-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Come on fall to seattle's late first (if we don't get CJ Spiller). Game changing athleticism is what Best brings to the table, second to only Spiller. Absolute terror in the right system and I really want to see him Punt Return.Not to puh puh Forsett because he was very effective in Cal's offense (and is obviously holding his own in Seattle), but Best brings a very similar game to Forsett (ie. good runner b/t tackles, can f*** you up as a receiver, good pass protection, etc.) but Best has rare KO speed. If Seattle doesn't grab a speed back, should they get a bruiser to compliment Forsett, ie Dwyer???

Babylon
01-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Come on fall to seattle's late first (if we don't get CJ Spiller). Game changing athleticism is what Best brings to the table, second to only Spiller. Absolute terror in the right system and I really want to see him Punt Return.

I would rather Spiller than Best. If the Seahawks take Best over Gerhart i honestly will tell them to go to hell.

RaiderNation
01-02-2010, 08:31 PM
I only see one RB going in the 1st(Spiller) right now. A few RBs in this draft(if some declare) would go in the 1st in other drafts, but I just dont see alot of teams needing a RB really bad plus this draft is loaded on the D and I can see alot of them going on that route. Best is a legit 2nd round pick right now.

Vox Populi
01-02-2010, 08:34 PM
I think Best is so overhyped and overrated...I think he'll bust in the NFL

George Lopez is terrible, and the only way I see Best busting is if a team tries to make him an every down, do it all back.

mellojello
01-02-2010, 10:13 PM
I would rather Spiller than Best. If the Seahawks take Best over Gerhart i honestly will tell them to go to hell.Why so much hate for Best?

mellojello
01-02-2010, 10:14 PM
George Lopez is terrible, and the only way I see Best busting is if a team tries to make him an every down, do it all back.How about if the Redskins draft him?

TheSlinger
01-03-2010, 05:20 PM
How much will Best's concussion hurt his stock? How much should it?

mellojello
01-07-2010, 01:09 PM
How much will Best's concussion hurt his stock? How much should it?The draft is always a mystery. I think he's a good value pick in the 2nd round though.