PDA

View Full Version : Washington Nationals thread

SuperKevin
05-22-2009, 02:43 PM
I figured this would be a place where HChu and I can talk about the Nationals.

Anyone else like/follow the Nats?

PACKmanN
05-22-2009, 02:56 PM
http://ngbbpc.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/997d8054bdd3614e617cc13f998e08d9.jpg

Giantsfan1080
05-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Strasburg/Zimmerman/Martis/Lannan/anyone.

Makings of a great young rotation.

SuperKevin
05-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Strasburg/Zimmerman/Martis/Lannan/anyone.

Makings of a great young rotation.

Detweiler looked impressive in his debut on Monday also

SuperKevin
05-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Currently the Nationals have 4 rookies in their starting rotation in Detweiler, Zimmermann, Martis, and Craig Stammen. Ridiculous

Giantsfan1080
05-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah I forgot about Detwiler. If they do things right they can definitely be competing for the NL East in 2 years.

703SKINS202
05-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I just got an internship in the fox sports department! Its sick all I do is watch sports and nats especially. We got a nice young offense but the bullpen is irrepareable this year. Expect more losses from the Nubinals.

SuperKevin
05-22-2009, 06:07 PM
If anyone ever wants to go to a game, hit me up. I can get us field level for upper deck prices

SuperKevin
05-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I wonder if the Nats will ever consider moving some of these talented starters to the bullpen

HChu
05-22-2009, 10:02 PM
I think if Cabrera ever decides to just unleash his stuff rather than try to pinpoint locations, he could be a serviceable reliever for the Nats. Hey, anything could an improvement to Kip Wells right? Right? Dear God...

HChu
05-22-2009, 10:05 PM
I agree though with Acta, that with just an average bullpen we could easily have 20-25 wins.

SuperKevin
05-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I think if Cabrera ever decides to just unleash his stuff rather than try to pinpoint locations, he could be a serviceable reliever for the Nats. Hey, anything could an improvement to Kip Wells right? Right? Dear God...

I actually liked Mock but the team felt otherwise obviously

HChu
05-22-2009, 10:34 PM
I actually liked Mock but the team felt otherwise obviously

Yeah, Mock was on a really short leash. But I think with time, he'll be a pretty good 6th/7th inning guy.

HChu
05-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Who do you think is gone at the deadline? I think Nick Johnson will be gone, Tavarez and Biemel will probably both be gone for a PTBNL or cash. Kearns will probably be exchanged for another monster contract. Other than that I don't see much.

SuperKevin
05-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Who do you think is gone at the deadline? I think Nick Johnson will be gone, Tavarez and Biemel will probably both be gone for a PTBNL or cash. Kearns will probably be exchanged for another monster contract. Other than that I don't see much.

I'd love for them to trade an OF to clear room for Justin Maxwell to stay up on the team

HChu
05-22-2009, 10:50 PM
I'd love for them to trade an OF to clear room for Justin Maxwell to stay up on the team

Maxwell looks like he could be good, I think Dukes is gone. He and Manny just don't see eye to eye, and there are reports that he's just a clubhouse cancer. It's a shame though because he has so much potential.

ccB
05-23-2009, 12:15 AM

Ah, Daniel Cabrera, the years and years I wasted thinking that guy could one day unleash that potential, sigh........

Great game tonight though guys, it was fun to watch some competitive baseball after being raped by the Skanks.

HChu
05-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Ah, Daniel Cabrera, the years and years I wasted thinking that guy could one day unleash that potential, sigh........

Great game tonight though guys, it was fun to watch some competitive baseball after being raped by the Skanks.

Yeah, I know I'm dreaming that he can do something, but I have to hope for something. Hope the O's are ready for the sexiness of Ross Detweiler.

Giantsfan1080
05-23-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm just jealous of the young pitching you have and will have soon. I really can't get past that.

ccB
05-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I know I'm dreaming that he can do something, but I have to hope for something. Hope the O's are ready for the sexiness of Ross Detweiler.

Oh we are ready, but are you ready to handle the sexiness that is...

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05sWb4H8zu7hD/610x.jpg

KOJI UEHARA! I think not :)

BTW Jordan Zimermann is ******* awesome, I (and Former Oriole great and current Oriole announcer Jim Palmer) have a huge boner for him.

Giantsfan1080
05-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Martis really flies under the radar. I saw him against the Mets last year in September and he really impressed me. I thought his stuff was great and so far he's done pretty well.

HChu
05-23-2009, 11:33 AM
I am not ready for Uehara.

Zimmermann is amazing. I've had a boner for him for a while.

Martis is our most underrated starter, his stuff is pretty nasty when he's on.

Question: What will you do if the Nats cannot reach an agreement with Strasburg?

SuperKevin
05-23-2009, 11:35 AM
I am not ready for Uehara.

Zimmermann is amazing. I've had a boner for him for a while.

Martis is our most underrated starter, his stuff is pretty nasty when he's on.

Question: What will you do if the Nats cannot reach an agreement with Strasburg?

If the Nats can't sign Strasburg they might as well move the team back to Montreal.

HChu
05-23-2009, 11:47 AM
If the Nats can't sign Strasburg they might as well move the team back to Montreal.

Or just contract us.

I'm interested more though in who we take with #10. If Crow slips, there are rumors we'd pick him again. Or there's Tanner Scheppers, who the Pirates weren't able to sign.

Giantsfan1080
05-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I know you don't draft for need but I don't think it's a good idea to take Strasburg and then another SP who is going to move into the majors soon. Is there a thing as too much young pitching? haha

eaglesalltheway
05-23-2009, 03:31 PM
I know you don't draft for need but I don't think it's a good idea to take Strasburg and then another SP who is going to move into the majors soon. Is there a thing as too much young pitching? haha

Nope, it is always valued highly, and when you have too much, there are more opportunities to get veterans at other positions where you really need help.

eaglesalltheway
05-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I've been sayign for a while now (to my friends, don't talk much about baseball on SWDC for some reason) that the Nats may not be too dangerous now, but give them a year or two, and they will be right in the mix for the NL East.

Giantsfan1080
05-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Nope, it is always valued highly, and when you have too much, there are more opportunities to get veterans at other positions where you really need help.

I was just joking around when I said that. Of course you can never have enough pitching especially young studs like the Natinals are getting. On the last page I said the same thing as you that if the they can add some bats they will definitely be contending in the NL East in about 2 years.

eaglesalltheway
05-23-2009, 03:40 PM
I was just joking around when I said that. Of course you can never have enough pitching especially young studs like the Natinals are getting. On the last page I said the same thing as you that if the they can add some bats they will definitely be contending in the NL East in about 2 years.

Well there comes a time when enough is enough, but with the Nats situation, more pitching couldn't hurt. As I said, even if that pitching may not have the chance to make that impact for you, you can use it to get other players that will, since pitching is valued so highly. I saw that you said that, and I (obviously) agree. But I guess my point is things may be looking bleak currently for the Nats right now, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

ccB
05-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Detwiler v Adam Jones with bases loaded, this should be a test for the young fella.

EDIT: Test passed, now on to Detwiler v Markakis with bases loaded.

SuperKevin
05-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Ross Detweiler looks legit. HAd a few issues with walks around the 3rd inning or so but got out of it well.

Giantsfan1080
05-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Ross Detweiler looks legit. HAd a few issues with walks around the 3rd inning or so but got out of it well.

I'm going to keep saying it but the whole rotation is legit. Adding Strasburg=WOW.

SuperKevin
05-23-2009, 11:23 PM
I seriously believe that if the NL ROY doesn't come from this Nationals rotation than the award means nothing. These guys have all been horribly rushed through the system and are all performing admirably. If the team had a bullpen I think the Nats would be in the NL East race

HChu
05-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Thoughts:

Miserable performance by the bullpen, as usual.

Detweiler is such a stud.

I know it for fact, that if we had even an average bullpen we could be 2nd or 3rd in the East and not that far off the lead.

SuperKevin
05-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Thoughts:

Miserable performance by the bullpen, as usual.

Detweiler is such a stud.

I know it for fact, that if we had even an average bullpen we could be 2nd or 3rd in the East and not that far off the lead.

The bullpen in general wasn't horrible last night. Just Julian Tavarez. Why he still has a job amazes me

SuperKevin
05-24-2009, 08:44 AM
I believe that after the team drafts and signs Strasburg, they'll likely move one of these young starters in order to get some bullpen depth. I think it will likely be Martis

HChu
05-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I believe that after the team drafts and signs Strasburg, they'll likely move one of these young starters in order to get some bullpen depth. I think it will likely be Martis

I think they'll keep their rotation, because who knows how long Stammen/Olsen will be effective. So our rotation for 2010 would be:

Strasburg
Lannan
Zimmermann
Detweiler
Martis

Which is a very solid rotation (potential wise).

I still think we'll end up trading Nick Johnson for a reliever within the next two weeks while his value is still high.

HChu
05-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Well Nick looks like he's gone, he was just scratched from the lineup because "he didn't feel well." Where does he end up? San Francisco? Boston? The Mets?

HChu
05-24-2009, 03:16 PM
And Joel Hanrahan gets a 1-2-3 inning? Cats with dogs? Odd...

Giantsfan1080
05-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Well Nick looks like he's gone, he was just scratched from the lineup because "he didn't feel well." Where does he end up? San Francisco? Boston? The Mets?

Wasn't it really just stomach discomfort?

HChu
05-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Wasn't it really just stomach discomfort?

Maybe, but I still think something is going on.

HChu
05-24-2009, 03:23 PM
I can't believe I haven't mentioned this, but sometimes it's almost fun when we're losing to just hear the despair in Rob Dibble's voice. Then he just starts cracking zings, and the regret he feels for taking the job as color guy for the Nats is palpable.

Giantsfan1080
05-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Maybe, but I still think something is going on.

Well I gues we'll find out soon. Aren't you jinxing yourself with that sig? haha

SuperKevin
05-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Martis got bailed out for the second straight start. 2 starts in a row he's given up 5 ERs and got away with the no decision to keep his record flawless

SuperKevin
05-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Maybe I should stop going to games because so far they've lost every game I've been to this past week and won the games I didn't go to.

703SKINS202
05-25-2009, 08:08 AM
We luv spel.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/rossevelt.jpg

SuperKevin
05-25-2009, 08:34 AM
That's even more embarrassing than the Natinals debacle. Teddy Roosevelt is a historic icon

703SKINS202
05-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Gotta love the Nubinals.

SuperKevin
05-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Just want to say sorry but my allegiance goes to the Mets for this series.

HChu
05-25-2009, 05:02 PM
I know hindsight is 20/20, but I was looking back at past drafts and in the 2002 MLB Draft the Montreal Expos took Clint Everts with the 5th overall pick. The following pick? Zack Greinke. What a shame, although Everts is beasting it in Potomac, and IMO looks poised at least for a call up to at least Harrisburg if not Syracuse. Still though, no Greinke.

SuperKevin
05-25-2009, 07:10 PM
The Nats should consider calling up Mike MacDougal. He can't be worse than Julian Tavarez or Jesus Colome

SuperKevin
05-25-2009, 07:38 PM
John Lannan is my facebook friend. That is all

703SKINS202
05-25-2009, 07:54 PM
John Lannan is my facebook friend. That is all

He also strikes out invisible batters.

703SKINS202
05-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Bull shat call.

HChu
05-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Daniel Cabrera was DFA, and if (once) he clears waivers he'll become a FA.

SuperKevin
05-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Daniel Cabrera was DFA, and if (once) he clears waivers he'll become a FA.

Which means he'll be unemployed

2 Live Crew
05-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Funny that anyone thinks they can change Cabrera.

I haven't seen him pitch this year until the other day in his relief appearance. I saw his FB hit 90 on the first pitch and immediately proclaimed that his career is done.

A FB that hits 90 and he can't even control it. A mediocre CB that he can't control. He doesn't deserve to be in MLB anymore but he got his...I don't feel sorry for him.

703SKINS202
05-28-2009, 12:42 AM
The Nats do steroids? I knew it.

SuperKevin
05-28-2009, 09:10 AM
The Nats do steroids? I knew it.

What??????????????

703SKINS202
05-28-2009, 12:46 PM
What??????????????

You didn't see the story in Florida?

SuperKevin
05-28-2009, 01:33 PM
You didn't see the story in Florida?

No. Please enlighten me

703SKINS202
05-28-2009, 02:30 PM
here ya go

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Report-Steroid-dealer-boasts-of-sales-to-Washin?urn=nhl,166076

SuperKevin
05-28-2009, 02:55 PM
If Ryan Zimmerman did steroids I'll cry

2 Live Crew
05-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Hey, at least its not the Redskins...

SuperKevin
05-29-2009, 11:04 PM
The Nats should consider calling up Mike MacDougal. He can't be worse than Julian Tavarez or Jesus Colome

Looks like they took my advice

SuperKevin
05-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Anyone else think MacDougal will have the closer job sooner rather than later?

HChu
05-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Anyone else think MacDougal will have the closer job sooner rather than later?

I think anyone in that bullpen has a good shot at the closer's role at this point. I'm also surprised that Zechry Zinicola didn't get called up to Syracuse in a corresponding move w/ MacDougal getting the call up. Zech's been lights out (well as close to lights out as you can be when your team is 13-31) in Harrisburg, and he's a former Nats Minor League Pitcher of the Year. I'm also wondering if the organization cares anymore about Clint Everts, our former #5 overall pick. He has 22 K's in 15.1 innings of relief work with a 1.17 ERA, and his stuff has just looked dominating against Class A ball. He should definitely be getting looked at as a potential call up to Harrisburg, or just skip AA and got straight to Syracuse. These two can't be much worse than what's here now right? Right!?

HChu
05-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Also, sucks to see that Maxwell got demoted but he hadn't really done much in this stint. Hope that he reworks some things and comes back up here and stays for a long while. I have no idea why we called up SS Alberto Gonzalez in the corresponding move though.

HChu
06-16-2009, 05:22 PM
These Strasburg dealings with Boras could be the defining moment of this franchise for the next 10 years. Not only if we get Strasburg or not, it will also determine how the dealings will go with Bryce Harper (potentially) after next year's draft. I for one am really excited for the future, despite the current state of the team.

Also, Manny Acta should not get the boot.

SuperKevin
07-22-2009, 08:59 PM
I got a Nationals blog. It's going to be called Teddy Never Wins

SuperKevin
07-22-2009, 09:47 PM
So I am putting together a list of 10 things to sum up the season so far. Here's what I have

Youth in the Rotation
Spelling mistake in the Jersey
Trade for Nyjer Morgan
Joel Hanrahan gets a win when he's not even on the team
The Lastings Milledge for All-Star movement
Adam Dunn's race to outhomer the team's win
Ryan Zimmerman's hit streak
Drafting Strasburg
Manny Acta fired
Bullpen ineptitude

Now I just need to rank them

HChu
07-22-2009, 10:05 PM
So I am putting together a list of 10 things to sum up the season so far. Here's what I have

Youth in the Rotation
Spelling mistake in the Jersey
Trade for Nyjer Morgan
Joel Hanrahan gets a win when he's not even on the team
The Lastings Milledge for All-Star movement
Adam Dunn's race to outhomer the team's win
Ryan Zimmerman's hit streak
Drafting Strasburg
Manny Acta fired
Bullpen ineptitude

Now I just need to rank them

You could probably make the "Natinals" mistake, the folly of errors by the Nats as chronicled in the DC Sports Bog, but my order would be (from your list):

Also to be noted: I don't think the Milledge campaign was ever that legitimate, maybe you could replace it with the Bowden/Smiley fiasco if that counts. Or the good shaping of the future by Mike Rizzo.

SuperKevin
07-23-2009, 12:54 AM
The Blog is now live. Visit Teddy Never Wins at http://teddyneverwins.com

HChu
07-23-2009, 01:05 AM
The Blog is now live. Visit Teddy Never Wins at http://teddyneverwins.com

Nice, added to my Google Reader.

2 Live Crew
07-31-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm not a huge Nationals fan myself (still loyal to the O's) but I live in DC and I'm a baseball fan so I still follow them.

What the hell is this team doing!?!? No activity at the trade deadline? (McEnroe voice) YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS?!?!

Hire a freakin real GM and start rebuilding asap. There has GOT to be interest for Nick Johnson, Willingham, and especially Adam Dunn...there HAS to be...Why on god's green earth are you not shopping these guys.

You are going to lose 100 freaking games! You are nowhere close to competing in the future. You are NOT loaded with young talent and potential. Your farm system is rather weak.

Not to mention, you can trade those players...get some young talent back AND save some money to.......Sign Strasburg! I can see the backlash from their fans already if they don't sign him.

Well you could say...so what if they don't sign him they will have picks 1A and 1B next year. Well Bryce Harper is going to be the number 1 pick....Boras Client...probably going to ask for the same money as Strasburg. Plus Strasburg says he wants to play for the Padres instead.

I'm just wowed by the ineptitude of this teams front office. I really feel sorry for this team, for their fans. They have no direction, and there is really no end in sight. Attendence numbers are already horrible...They are going to have to rebuild Rays style and trade Zimmerman eventually and get about 8 straight number 1 picks so they can compete in 2020.

Forgot about Acta gettin fired...just adds to the chaos.

SuperKevin
07-31-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm not a huge Nationals fan myself (still loyal to the O's) but I live in DC and I'm a baseball fan so I still follow them.

What the hell is this team doing!?!? No activity at the trade deadline? (McEnroe voice) YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS?!?!

Hire a freakin real GM and start rebuilding asap. There has GOT to be interest for Nick Johnson, Willingham, and especially Adam Dunn...there HAS to be...Why on god's green earth are you not shopping these guys.

You are going to lose 100 freaking games! You are nowhere close to competing in the future. You are NOT loaded with young talent and potential. Your farm system is rather weak.

Not to mention, you can trade those players...get some young talent back AND save some money to.......Sign Strasburg! I can see the backlash from their fans already if they don't sign him.

Well you could say...so what if they don't sign him they will have picks 1A and 1B next year. Well Bryce Harper is going to be the number 1 pick....Boras Client...probably going to ask for the same money as Strasburg. Plus Strasburg says he wants to play for the Padres instead.

I'm just wowed by the ineptitude of this teams front office. I really feel sorry for this team, for their fans. They have no direction, and there is really no end in sight. Attendence numbers are already horrible...They are going to have to rebuild Rays style and trade Zimmerman eventually and get about 8 straight number 1 picks so they can compete in 2020.

Forgot about Acta gettin fired...just adds to the chaos.

I will agree with you that this team should sell a few of their players like Josh Willingham, Nick Johnson, and Joe Bemiel but Adam Dunn should be off limits. Adam is one of the only marketable players on the roster and he seems to actually enjoy playing in DC. Peter Gammons reported the Nationals and Marlins are close on a del for Nick Johnson and they were going to trade Willingham to the Giants before this past week when his asking price got higher.

I highly disagree with your comment about the team lacking young talent. The Nationals have a ton of young starting pitchers with strong potential in John Lannan, Jordan Zimmermann, Ross Detweiler, Shairon Martis, and Tyler Clippard. Collin Balester and J.D. Martin haven't been too bad either in limited work. The team could use young position players, especially middle infielders, though.

SuperKevin
07-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Check out my recap of tonight's Potomac Nationals game on my blog

2 Live Crew
08-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Decent little trade of Nick Johnson...at least they turned him into something of value...they are still so far away though.

Kevin, I didn't say they don't have young talent. Just not enough to be sitting on your hands at the trade deadline. You're right, they do have some decent young pithers. J Zimm and Detwiler will be solid, I like them. The rest are ok I guess...they don't really do much for me though.

They do have some decent young talent, but not nearly enough. Their farm system is still probably below average right now if I had to make a quick guess.

SuperKevin
08-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Decent little trade of Nick Johnson...at least they turned him into something of value...they are still so far away though.

Kevin, I didn't say they don't have young talent. Just not enough to be sitting on your hands at the trade deadline. You're right, they do have some decent young pithers. J Zimm and Detwiler will be solid, I like them. The rest are ok I guess...they don't really do much for me though.

They do have some decent young talent, but not nearly enough. Their farm system is still probably below average right now if I had to make a quick guess.

The farm system is very weak. Especially in the infield.

HChu
08-03-2009, 05:11 PM
The farm system is very weak. Especially in the infield.

I really don't get why we keep stockpiling mid-level arms, when there's a glaring need to bring in middle infielder prospects.

SuperKevin
08-03-2009, 07:24 PM
I really don't get why we keep stockpiling mid-level arms, when there's a glaring need to bring in middle infielder prospects.

Probably hoping to be able to package 2 or 3 middle of the road pitchers for a major league ready middle infielder at some point

SuperKevin
08-03-2009, 07:25 PM
HChu are you the daily visitor I get from Lorton for my blog?

HChu
08-03-2009, 09:51 PM
HChu are you the daily visitor I get from Lorton for my blog?

I assume so.

SuperKevin
08-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Anyone have anything you want me to ask Craig Stammen?

703SKINS202
08-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Anyone have anything you want me to ask Craig Stammen?
Was there ever a time when it seemed like people didn't even care how bad they were/how much they were losing. 99% sure of a PC answer but worth a shot.

HChu
08-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Dear God, Zimmermann is done for 18 months. Scott Boras somewhere is cackling.

SuperKevin
08-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Dear God, Zimmermann is done for 18 months. Scott Boras somewhere is cackling.

I wrote on my blog today about how 50 million dollars for Strasburg could be a bargain. Check it out at www.teddyneverwins.com.

Also rumor has it that Strasburg's parents are pressuring him to sign with the nats to avoid sitting out a year and being the 3rd pick next year(After the Nats don't take him with their top two picks). They are smart enough to realize that the sooner he starts this contract, the sooner he gets the big FA payday

SuperKevin
12-21-2009, 07:31 PM
The Nats signed Jason Marquis to a 2 year deal today. Great signing IMO

HChu
12-21-2009, 09:47 PM
The Nats signed Jason Marquis to a 2 year deal today. Great signing IMO

Solid signing. We had to overpay, but that's the nature of the beast. Matt Capps looks like he will soon be a Nat. I would not at all be surprised for the Nats to be in decent standing heading into the All-Star break, but then faltering after and eventually falling from contention. Probably won't actually end up happening, but would be fun if it did happen.

SuperKevin
12-21-2009, 10:04 PM
I think I might get season tickets this year. you should too HChu. We could sit together

HChu
12-21-2009, 10:07 PM
I think I might get season tickets this year. you should too HChu. We could sit together

I've already got Caps season tickets to worry about; I'm definitely gonna make an effort to get to a lot of games this year. And depending on where Strasburg ends up, I'll be at some P-Nats games as well.