PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebows spring practice

hockey619
05-23-2009, 03:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=4178702

Tebow has apparently been working on his mechanics and footwork in the spring. Didnt see this posted anywhere else but thought it was noteworthy. They said its to help him prepare for the NFL and because they may do some under center plays this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpByl518m3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arJsVtGUfCY

Both are videos of his improved motion and footwork. Short and dont really show much but just so people can get an idea. Just found all this and found it interesting. Thoughts?

Shane P. Hallam
05-23-2009, 04:01 PM
I think I am one of the few people who feel he will be a successful NFL Quarterback. He has a year to really work on his game, he won't be a Top 10 pick or anything, but likely will be a late first round pick to a team that can take time and groom him. Not that his spring practice is overly significant, but it has been something I have been saying.

The Tebow to the NFL story will be oversaturated by next April, but I think it is a very divisive issue that both sides can debate over for the next year.

SKim172
05-23-2009, 04:07 PM
He keeps the ball a little a low, double-clutches before he throws, and has a hitch at the top of his motion.

But eh, minor things, it does look improved, I still expect to see him go 4th or 5th round to a team that figures if they can't mold him into a QB, then they'll still have the most popular utility backup in the NFL.

stephenson86
05-23-2009, 04:15 PM
i could see tennessee taking him

keylime_5
05-23-2009, 04:20 PM
someone will fall in love with his intangeables and his raw tools and take him in the first round. I think he'll be another guy at best in a pro style offense playing against other NFL teams though.

BeerBaron
05-23-2009, 04:35 PM
The Colts are team I've heard thrown around before that may make sense for him to go to.

They pick late first round, and late first round picks usually sign 5 years deals....Tebow could spend the first 2-3 of that doing nothing but sitting and learning, and by that time, Peyton will be 35-36.....might be a good time to start thinking about replacing him....

I really don't know though. I don't know if there has ever been a prospect with such a wide range of projections before. Everything from first round QB, to first round RB/FB/TE, to mid round QB to late round project....it's craziness.

And I'm willing to bet that no matter where he goes, the majority of people are going to think it's still too high or too low for him.

Depending on how he and Florida fair this year, he could go down in history as one of the all time greatest college players. Already has two championships and a Heisman and has a chance to add to those numbers this year.

griff2213
05-23-2009, 05:28 PM
release is slowwww jeez

BBIB
05-23-2009, 05:45 PM
He keeps the ball a little a low, double-clutches before he throws, and has a hitch at the top of his motion.

But eh, minor things, it does look improved, I still expect to see him go 4th or 5th round to a team that figures if they can't mold him into a QB, then they'll still have the most popular utility backup in the NFL.

4th or 5th round talk is delusional.

Pat White went in the 2nd round. There is a place for spread option Qbs in the NFL.

Some team will have sense enough not to listen to Kiper/McShay etc just like teh Dolphins did with White and they will take Tebow on the 1st day maybe even the 1st round.

He has all the physical tools, production, and experience to go along with an incredible work ethic to suggest he can be a top notch NFL signal caller

Tim Tebow could be the next Donovan McNabb

hannah73
05-23-2009, 05:55 PM
I think he's more likely to be a FB than a QB. But that's just me, I know I'll get railed on.

3 years to "learn"? And you draft him in the first round for that? SEems like a waste.

Matthew Jones
05-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Still has a pretty slow release and it's not totally over the top but it does look better than what he's been using in the past. At the least, it looks like he's improving his technique. Taking snaps from under center is going to be good for him too. Personally I think he'll come out with first-round value if all goes well this season, but may not go in the first due to team need, etc. I could see someone in the early second round maybe trading up for him though. He's a player that a team could definitely fall in love with.

espfootball92
05-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Lets see how long this "under center" stuff lasts if Florida gets into trouble early in the season

I remember all the talk last offseason about having Tebow distribute the ball to other playmakers more, and not have to do it all on his own. Well, from the Ole Miss game forward, he carried that team on his shoulders.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-23-2009, 06:30 PM
That youtube clip didn't look too impressive, if the purpose was to show improvement in the speed of Tebow's release.

Still, I never thought his quickness getting rid of the ball was a huge problem. If he learns to keep the ball high around his head, the ball will come out faster.

The only real negative I see with Tebow is the offense he plays in, and the fact that in recent memory no QB has really broken out big in the NFL playing a spread option system in college.

I still believe he has the same positives he did as a prep entering UF; good arm strength, mobility, good feel for the downfield passing game.

Tebow impresses me as a guy that is very coachable, and if a NFL team wants to tear down his mechanics and footwork and reconstruct him into an NFL QB, there's nothing that makes me think Tebow can't make the transition.

Can't imagine him on the board past the early 2nd, my best guess is late 1st.

Dagagad
05-23-2009, 07:11 PM
He will go high second or first. The NFL is changing slightly and guys like Tebow will have a spot at QB, even if it only on a situational money. Low first/high second money is pretty low..he could take hits.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-23-2009, 08:08 PM

Or Steve McNair.

If Tebow is anywhere in the vicinity of those two players, he's gonna be more than solid.

keylime_5
05-23-2009, 08:19 PM
4th or 5th round talk is delusional.

Pat White went in the 2nd round. There is a place for spread option Qbs in the NFL.

Some team will have sense enough not to listen to Kiper/McShay etc just like teh Dolphins did with White and they will take Tebow on the 1st day maybe even the 1st round.

He has all the physical tools, production, and experience to go along with an incredible work ethic to suggest he can be a top notch NFL signal caller

Big difference there though. Pat White is really fast and quick and a playmaker with the ball in his hands. He can be the next Antwan Randle El. Tim Tebow is a big guy who is not elusive or fast and will get destroyed if he runs the ball in the NFL like he does in college. He's either a QB or an H-Back, and considering he's not that fast and probably won't get open against NFL defenses as a receiver, I think he'll have to make or break as a QB in the NFL. There's lots of guys who are at least as big, fast, and strong as Tebow who actually played TE and FB in college who don't do squat. I don't think Tebow is an quite the athlete to be the exception, I think he's living off of being too big for college (but not NFL) defenders in that gimmicky offense that doesn't translate to the next level.

SKim172
05-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Big difference there though. Pat White is really fast and quick and a playmaker with the ball in his hands. He can be the next Antwan Randle El. Tim Tebow is a big guy who is not elusive or fast and will get destroyed if he runs the ball in the NFL like he does in college. He's either a QB or an H-Back, and considering he's not that fast and probably won't get open against NFL defenses as a receiver, I think he'll have to make or break as a QB in the NFL. There's lots of guys who are at least as big, fast, and strong as Tebow who actually played TE and FB in college who don't do squat. I don't think Tebow is an quite the athlete to be the exception, I think he's living off of being too big for college (but not NFL) defenders in that gimmicky offense that doesn't translate to the next level.

Pretty much my thinking. Pat White is fast and elusive and if he doesn't make it, you figure you could stick him in at receiver or returner. Might not make it, but he's got the potential. Tebow isn't really all that fast or elusive - it's QB or nothing. Add in that he played in Alex Smith's system and all the mechanics issues he's going through and I don't see him going second round.

I could be wrong - it depends on if and how quickly the Wildcat and spread offenses proliferate in the NFL. A team might find they desperately need that type of QB, raising Tebow's value. As it stands, very few teams rely on the Wildcat enough to consider drafting a second-rounder for it - Miami uses it the most and I think it averaged out to about 14 plays a game.

Mr. Hero
05-24-2009, 12:45 AM
I think I am one of the few people who feel he will be a successful NFL Quarterback. He has a year to really work on his game, he won't be a Top 10 pick or anything, but likely will be a late first round pick to a team that can take time and groom him. Not that his spring practice is overly significant, but it has been something I have been saying.

The Tebow to the NFL story will be oversaturated by next April, but I think it is a very divisive issue that both sides can debate over for the next year.

I totally I agree with you. He's just a football player and he'll figure out how to use his talents to be successful. He may sound like he's mentally handicapped in interviews but I still believe in him.

AntoinCD
05-24-2009, 06:16 AM
I think in the right situation Tebow could be a very good NFL player. I would be very surprised if he didn't go in the first round based on intangibles alone. Any team who value hard work, leadership etc will fall in love with the guy and it's not like the guy doesn't have talent-maybe not conventional NFL QB talent but that seems to be the way the game is going. If he is still available when the Patriots are picking in the first or definitely their first second I would be shocked if he wasn't the pick. Belichick has a close relationship with Urban Meyer, the Patriots play in a spread-like system and apparently Beilichick loves Tebow. Plus it would be a perfect situation for Tebow. He doesn't have to be the starting QB for 3-4 years at least, can take snaps at QB, RB etc and can be involved in 10-15 plays a game until he can become more of a polished player

BigJohn98
05-24-2009, 10:17 AM
It looks the same.

Iamcanadian
05-24-2009, 10:53 AM
I think he is a very late 1st rounder or likely early 2nd rounder based on his intangibles alone. May be a great college QB who just isn't suited to the pro gane, hard to tell in that quirky offense. Pro teams won't like the beating he has taken running the ball and he may have some trouble passing a physical which could really impact his draft status.
You have to love his leadership qualities and the mental toughness he has shown and IMO, those assests more than make up for his weak technique.

RedVision
05-24-2009, 11:05 AM
I think he's more likely to be a FB than a QB. But that's just me, I know I'll get railed on.

3 years to "learn"? And you draft him in the first round for that? SEems like a waste.

and Aaron Rodgers was a waste of a 1st rounder

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-24-2009, 02:50 PM
I don't get all the Tebow hate. Sure his release is a bit funky, but he's accurate and his arm strength is above-average.

SKim172
05-24-2009, 03:11 PM
I don't hate him. Based on current scouting reports and the general mood of the people who keep track of these things, I think he'll be a fourth or fifth rounder. He's a bit of a risk, which is what puts him at that spot. However, I could easily see him in the late 2nd or early 3rd, depending on how his season and the draft season goes.

brat316
05-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Michale Robinson would be a good comparison to Tim Tebow. Tebow isn't fast as Robinson, but as for Qb wise I think both are about the same level.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Michale Robinson would be a good comparison to Tim Tebow. Tebow isn't fast as Robinson, but as for Qb wise I think both are about the same level.

Robinson played Qb at Penn State for what, two seasons?

Michael Robinson was an efficient QB for PSU and had a great senior year, but overall Tebow is several clicks higher as a college QB than Robinson.

If you're comparing them as pro prospects, I guess you think Tebow will be asked to switch positions in the backfield, or play TE/HB.

Some team is going to give Tebow every opportunity to succeed or fail as pro QB, and no team interested in drafting him high is looking at Tebow as anything other than a QB.

I'm still waiting for someone to make the credible argument why Tebow has limited ability to be a successful NFL QB.

jnew76
05-24-2009, 03:56 PM
I have said this before and will say it again... I would never bet against Tim Tebow succeeding in the NFL. He has the best intangibles and leadership qualities I have ever seen in a college QB. He has an incredible work ethic and will do everything in his power to succeed in the path he chooses... So while I may not think he is a first round QB talent, if he chooses to be an NFL QB I believe he will be successful in doing so.

Burns336
05-24-2009, 05:56 PM
How big of a deal will it be when Tebow gets like a 4 on his wonderlic and someone leaks it to the media?

Brent
05-24-2009, 07:01 PM
How big of a deal will it be when Tebow gets like a 4 on his wonderlic and someone leaks it to the media?
I dont see that happening but I think it would be very funny.

BigBanger
05-24-2009, 07:05 PM
It looks the same.
It is exactly the same.

This story is much to do about nothing.

Florida is going to run out of the spread with Tebow in shotgun. It might only be 95% of the time now, instead of 100%.

He's got ability, but he is a project. A big one.

Matthew Stafford
05-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Are you kidding me he has nothing in common with me. My arm is better than his. My completion percent is better? My pocket presence is better. I have better footwork and release. What more do you need to know. I am and will be a better QB than Tim Tebow in the NFL. Sorry Tebow you suck:D.

Tim Tebow
05-24-2009, 09:51 PM
I am and will be a better QB than Tim Tebow in the NFL. Sorry Tebow you suck:D.

Yeah, well, that's what yo momma said last night.

SNAP.

LookItsAlDavis
05-25-2009, 03:10 AM

SNAP.

If your going to take the time to make an account named Tim Tebow at least be funny.

Cicero
05-25-2009, 04:54 AM

SNAP.

That's not what Jesus would say.

Tim Tebow
05-25-2009, 11:54 AM
If your going to take the time to make an account named Tim Tebow at least be funny.

"Tebow, you suck."
"That's what yo momma said!"

The latter could conceivably be intended as humorous irony.

And Jesus would kick ass and chew bubble gum.

sweetness34
05-25-2009, 11:59 AM
You know Tebow's going to have a great work ethic wherever he goes so he has that going for him. He's far from a finished product but the tools are in place for him to be a good NFL QB and I think with his intangibles he could become a player in the pros.

brat316
05-25-2009, 12:27 PM
You know Tebow's going to have a great work ethic wherever he goes so he has that going for him. He's far from a finished product but the tools are in place for him to be a good NFL QB and I think with his intangibles he could become a player in the pros.

Far from finished product is not worth a 1st round pick. Coming from that system he'll have to work extra extra hard. Even Meyers says it himself. He said it about Alex Smith, and Smith had all the tools as well. Given that Smith's OC changed every season, but he still had to forget the ways of his old college tricks.

We always see guys that have all the tools, and work ethic, it just where they are coming from they were taught different. Most of the time that effects their transition into the NFL, unless they play a new position, where they are taught from scratch. And even that new position he might fail at.

Just saying the odds are pretty stacked against him. I'm still waiting for someone to name on successfully spread offense/Shut gun qb.

Staubach12
05-25-2009, 03:12 PM
It's better, yes, but it's still a very slow motion. I don't like the hitch at the top either. The ball almost comes to a stop. Anyway, none of this changes the fact that he's not an NFL QB.

hockey619
05-25-2009, 05:31 PM
There is so much about his game to pick apart its almost overwhelming. The throwing motion, lower body mechanics, system, speed around him, inconsistent ability to put the ball in the right spot, just off the top of my head without really looking into those are all issues.

But theres just something about him that makes me think hell succeed and that going against him is just unwise.