PDA

View Full Version : Draft Discussion - Offensive Tackle

TACKLE
05-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Hopefully this works out and we'll get around to every position.

Here's a wide open thread to discuss Offensive Tackles. Post any thoughts or opinions on the OT's: your rankings, who's underrated, who's overrated, break out prospects, sleepers, best fits, etc. This is the place to break down the 2010 OT class.

scottyboy
05-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Anthony Davis will be the top LT in the draft if he enters. mark it down

YAYareaRB
05-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Ciron Black is the top tackle next year.

GEAUX TIGERS

TACKLE
05-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Ciron Black is the top tackle next year.

GEAUX TIGERS

He could be but he needs to be more consistent. He shows flashes of dominance and athletisism than he'll get a false start or will just get flat out beat off the edge. Though he definitely has upside.

Also what are you're guys thoughts on Brian Bulga. People are going to skeptical because of the Robert Gallery similarities but I don't think that's fair to Bulga. Bulga was a beast in the run game and was a major reason for Shonn Greene's success. His pass pro is solid but evaluating Iowa O-Lineman is often tough because they are so well coached that it often can make up for their lack of athletisism. Not necessarily a bad thing but that was one of the reasons that Gallery struggled with speed rushers in the NFL was because he just didn't have the natural athletic ability.

DT35
05-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Not like I have seen a lot of these guys or are even good at judging offensive linemen but here's mine based off of what I've read just for the sake of doing it.

1. Bryan Bulaga
2. Russell Okung
3. Ciron Black
4. Trent Williams
5. Anthony Davis
6. Charles Brown

YAYareaRB
05-23-2009, 08:40 PM
and then there's me of course..

hahahahhaha

JFLO
05-23-2009, 09:55 PM
These are my current Senior and Underclassmen OT rankings

Senior Offensive Tackles

1. Russell Okung Oklahoma State
2. Ciron Black Louisiana State
3. Trent Williams Oklahoma
4. Charles Brown Southern California
5. Adam Ulatoski Texas
6. Alonzo Durham Nevada
7. Sam Young Notre Dame
8. Selvish Capers West Virginia
9. Chris Marinelli Stanford
10. Zane Beadles Utah

Underclassmen Offensive Tackle

1. Bryan Bulaga Iowa
2. Anthony Davis Rutgers
3. Lee Ziemba Auburn
4. Jason Pinkston Pittsburgh
5. Bruce Campbell Maryland
6. Matt Reynolds Brigham Young
7. Stephen Schilling Michigan
8. Gabe Carimi Wisconsin
9. Tray Allen Texas
10. Kyle Hix Texas

Overall, Okung is my best. If I had to pick one to be the best tackle come April, I would take Okung, but I wouldn't be surprised if either Trent Williams or Bulaga take that top spot, as both are on pace for big seasons in 2009.

BTW, this is a good idea, hopefully it will continue.

Matthew Jones
05-23-2009, 10:09 PM
I could see any of Trent Williams, Ciron Black, Russell Okung, Brian Bulaga, or Anthony Davis being the first pick at left tackle. I think Black and Bulaga could be great left tackles, but the other ones might be a little bit more complete in terms of being big guys but also being really athletic. It's kind of hard to evaluate those two in pass protection because they're not from passing teams. Anthony Davis is massive and he could be this year's Andre Smith. I'm going to be very interested to see Trent Williams at left tackle this year. He'd probably be my #1 if he'd been at left tackle. Right now I suppose I've got Okung #1. A lot can happen between now and draft day though.

the decider13
05-23-2009, 10:15 PM
I think Trent Williams could definately assert himself as the top tackle next year. This is his time to shine now that he is the only star O lineman on the team.

JFLO
05-23-2009, 10:23 PM
I think one player to watch for is Alonzo Durham. Yea, he's not going to get a lot of publicity playing at a school like Nevada, but I think he has the talent to be eventually be a late 1st to early third round pick. Very well rounded tackle.

I also like Dennis Landolt out of Penn State and Joe Thomas out of Pittsburgh as sleepers this early on in the 2010 process.

TACKLE
05-23-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm really high on Zane Beadles from Utah. I watched him almost the whole game against Bama and he was very solid. He wasn't dominant but did not get beat, had good feet and was never out of position. He shut down Bama's pass rushers all game. He was also effective in the run game. He's only about 6'4 and he probably won't be a 1st rounder but I definitely think he can be a good LT at the next level.

princefielder28
05-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Selvish Capers reminds me of William Beatty

iBoldin
05-23-2009, 11:24 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/08/26/sports/26rutgers.600.1.jpg

Get to know this guy. I think he'll emerge as a top-ten pick next year. I know Scotty is extremely high on him, but he's extremely quick and incredibly strong for a 315-320 pound tackle. Used to be almost 370. I love him, no ****.

Texas Homer
05-24-2009, 12:10 AM
2010 OT Adam Ulatoski
2010 C Chris Hall
2011 OT Kyle Hix
2011 OG Michael Huey

SenorGato
05-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Anthony Davis will be the top LT in the draft if he enters. mark it down

Anthony Davis is a beast. He'll be like Rutgers official announcement to the league that they can produce top talent.

That said, I don't think any of the T's are in the same arena as the guys who've been drafted in the past 3 years. I do think that Davis and Okung enough though.

Thumper
05-24-2009, 01:01 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/08/26/sports/26rutgers.600.1.jpg

Get to know this guy. I think he'll emerge as a top-ten pick next year. I know Scotty is extremely high on him, but he's extremely quick and incredibly strong for a 315-320 pound tackle. Used to be almost 370. I love him, no ****.

1000% percent agree. Right now he is my favorite OT in this class if not my favorite player overall. He played OG his freshman year and then his sophomore year he made a great transition to LT. He is not the athlete that others are but with his technique and footwork he doesn't really need that elite athleticism that guys like Baluga and Okung have. Davis is the type of guy I think you can slide in day 1 and count on him for 10 years. However, none of that is to say he is a bad athlete because he might not be a Okung but he is athletic enough to play on the blindside in the NFL. I think he will be a top 10 if not top 5 talent when it is all said and done.

Thumper
05-24-2009, 01:05 AM
My sleeper is Charles Brown out of USC. He is an athletic LT who can stay with a pass rusher and mirror them. He did a good job of protecting Mark Sanchez and opening up holes in the run game. A sleeper from USC, never thought I'd see the day.

Jason Fox out of Miami seems to be in the same type of mold and I think he will make a good LT in the NFL with his athleticism and footwork. He is kind of a sleeper just because Miami is somewhat off the map right now but if Miami has a good year and Fox gets some publicity I can see him shoot up draft boards.

SuperKevin
05-24-2009, 08:42 AM
I really want Trent Williams in Buffalo next year. After seeing the ridiculous pockets Sam Bradford always has, I could get used to seeing that for Trent Edwards

Iamcanadian
05-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Anthony Davis is a beast. He'll be like Rutgers official announcement to the league that they can produce top talent.

That said, I don't think any of the T's are in the same arena as the guys who've been drafted in the past 3 years. I do think that Davis and Okung enough though.

I agree, this class of OT's doesn't look to be as strong as the last few classes and could be pretty average unless some really pick it up in their final seasons. Unless someone has a special final year, I cannot see any going in the top 10. Davis and Williams are probably on top right now but things can change quickly.

Sniper
05-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Underclassmen Offensive Tackle
7. Stephen Schilling Michigan

No. Just no. Schilling sucks as an OT. He's moving to OG this year and he should be better there, but good Lord, he's awful at RT. He's basically a revolving door in pass pro and is merely average at run-blocking. He's a natural guard but had to play RT due to lack of depth.

princefielder28
05-24-2009, 11:22 AM
I agree, this class of OT's doesn't look to be as strong as the last few classes and could be pretty average unless some really pick it up in their final seasons. Unless someone has a special final year, I cannot see any going in the top 10. Davis and Williams are probably on top right now but things can change quickly.

Bulaga and Okung have a shot at hitting the top 10, especially Bulaga.

JFLO
05-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Bulaga and Okung have a shot at hitting the top 10, especially Bulaga.

I think both of them have the potential to hit the Top 5, at least one of them.

In the mock I made like a month or two ago, I had Okung and Trent Williams in the Top 10. I think I had Bulaga in the Top 15-20 range.

TACKLE
05-24-2009, 11:42 AM
I like Russell Okung and he has done well against some top pass rushers but I don't know if he's the Top 5 pick some are making him out to be. I like his play on the field but I just feel like his upside is limited.

scottyboy
05-24-2009, 12:03 PM
just remember, me and gf1080 were on Anthony Davis first, got it?

CC.SD
05-24-2009, 12:11 PM
My sleeper is Charles Brown out of USC. He is an athletic LT who can stay with a pass rusher and mirror them. He did a good job of protecting Mark Sanchez and opening up holes in the run game. A sleeper from USC, never thought I'd see the day.

Jason Fox out of Miami seems to be in the same type of mold and I think he will make a good LT in the NFL with his athleticism and footwork. He is kind of a sleeper just because Miami is somewhat off the map right now but if Miami has a good year and Fox gets some publicity I can see him shoot up draft boards.

Don't worry the hype machine will get going on Brown sooner rather than later.

Okung is my top tackle. I like Black as well but Okung is the complete package.

TACKLE
05-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Does anybody here question Trent Williams' ability to play LT?

I believe he should have played there last year and this should have put Loadholt at RT.

jnew76
05-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Does anybody here question Trent Williams' ability to play LT?

I believe he should have played there last year and this should have put Loadholt at RT.

I do... and that is the reason he is not in my top 5 OT's to this point. I am reserving judgement until conference play starts and when he goes up against elite pass rushers from the left side. He clearly has the potential, but the transition is not as easy as one would think.

AntoinCD
05-24-2009, 04:15 PM
As of now im liking Okung as my top tackle but Bulaga definitely has the ability to be the top OT. This year however I see like the 2009 draft and there will be a number of top tackles but none in the Joe Thomas league

JFLO
05-24-2009, 06:47 PM
I agree with the Williams statement. Now whether or not Williams should have started last season is another question but he needs more experience either way. I think he is still raw coming in as a senior, but facing Big 12 pass rushers all season long will definitely help his cause come April.

Who do you guys think is/was a better Sooner tackle coming into the draft, Jammal Brown or Trent Williams?

TACKLE
05-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Who do you guys think is/was a better Sooner tackle coming into the draft, Jammal Brown or Trent Williams?

I'd have to say Jammal Brown at this point. He was a beast in college and better run blocker but Williams could end up being a better prospect with a great senior year. I think Williams may have more upside than Brown did.

Watch this absolute domination by Jammal Brown. Starts at 0:30 (He's #55)

sE0dtb5IueY

Me Likey Rookies
06-06-2009, 04:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-pVHM361r0

some Okung goodness. Ciron Black and the Iowa LT will be up soon too.

IndyColtScout
06-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I like Lee Ziemba. I'm becoming more and more a fan of the very tall and large OT. Like 6'6" and over. It's because of the growing trend of 3-4 defenses and 5 Tech.

Texas Homer
06-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I think Jr. RT Kyle Hix from Texas will take his game to the next level and raise it up a notch next season. He is 6'7 and 320(I think). I wouldn't be surprised to see him slide over to LT after next season. A lot of potential.

Don Vito
06-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Anthony Costanzo out of BC is a very athletic LT. He could be a guy to watch this year, he is very talented at 6-7 300 and BC always churns out great linemen.

regoob2
06-06-2009, 11:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-pVHM361r0

some Okung goodness. Ciron Black and the Iowa LT will be up soon too.
You can just watch the Herman Johnson one for Ciron Black. ;)

TACKLE
06-06-2009, 11:35 PM
You can just watch the Herman Johnson one for Ciron Black. ;)

That's how I find O-Line vidoes. For example, if you want to watch Brian Bulga in the run game, find a Shonn Green highlight video.

BigBanger
06-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I think this tackle class will soon be disappointing some people. I can't call any of these guys potential top 5 guys. Not even top 10. Last year I saw three top 5 caliber tackles. Same thing the year before.

Okung, although talented, is extremely raw technically. He would probably have been a first round pick this year due to his upside. He seems to have adequate size with great quickness. His hands are sub par, his balance is sub par, he plays more of a finesse game and needs to make big improvements at the point of attack. His foot work is very sloppy and extremely inconsistent. He reminds me a lot of Duane Brown from Virginia Tech, but Brown was probably the much better run blocker. This top 5 talk is absurd. Is he a top 5 talent? Talent, yes, but he has a long way to go be on the same level as an Andre Smith, Jason Smith, Euguene Monroe, Jack Long, Ryan Clady, Branden Albert or any of the other top tier OTs from previous draft classes. He's a natural LT with excellent quickness and agility. He has not played up to the kind of hype he's getting. Balance, hand placement and overall strength at the point of attack are big concerns for Okung. This all comes back to technique, so a team will see that and think they can coach him up to an elite level prospect. Very raw, but his upside will place him high on draft boards. He dominated Orakpo, but Orakpo is a terrible matchup. He has no hand work or technique and that's what will give Okung fits, not just speed. It's the Chris Long types that will make Okung look foolish, not the raw and predictable Brian Orakpo's.

Trent Williams looks like a natural RT prospect. For that, his value drops. He can be a great pro and I think he's by far the best offensive linemen prospect OU has had since Brown. Very good run blocker and very good technique. He does have some things he needs to work on, but I don't see the quick feet to be a LT at the next level. With another good season I think he'll go in the middle of round 1, but I would be shocked if he went top 10. He lacks the fluidity and quickness in his lower half.

If Bulaga is a top 5 prospect then people haven't learned from the last mistake who's almost an exact replica of Robert Gallery, but not as good. He does not have the athletic ability to a LT at the next level. He might not even be a RT. He could be a Pro Bowl caliber guard for a power system team that a team like Pittsburgh uses. Big 10 linemen are, especially LTs, guys I'd proceed with caution when gauging. Big 10 is a different breed of football players. He's not facing guys that explode off the ball time and time again. He's doing a lot more run blocking than pass protection. He's a great run blocker and he's well coached like pretty much all Big 10 linemen. The thing he doesn't have is that Russell Okung' type potential for the next level. He's a guy with limited upside due to his very average quickness and foot speed.

SenorGato
06-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Don't worry the hype machine will get going on Brown sooner rather than later.

Okung is my top tackle. I like Black as well but Okung is the complete package.

Yes it will. He's a prime candidate for Jan-April hype.

ToldLikeItIs
06-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Bryan Bulaga is every bit the athlete.

6'6 315
35 Reps, this was last year
34 Vert
He played TE and DT in HS
Played Freshman year at 6'5 290 as a LG, started
Grew an inch, gained twenty lbs and played LT in 08'

Stronger than Gallery, not as polished yet, and as quick.

srv fan
06-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Big 10 is a different breed of football players. He's not facing guys that explode off the ball time and time again.

Yeah, there are no explosive pass rushers in the Big Ten. It's a league of bumbling clods like Aaron Maybin, Brandon Graham, Vernon Gholston, Lamarr Woodley, Martez Wilson, et al. That's why there are no good B10 offensive linemen in the NFL and certainly none being drafted in the top 10.

Sniper
06-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Jack Long

Who's Jack Long?

steelernation77
06-07-2009, 01:35 PM

6'6 315
34 Vert

Bulaga is solid as hell. I see the guy around campus all the time and he doesn't look fat at all. He's just huge and built. The earlier poster who questioned his athleticism is a joke. Robert Gallery not being able to cut it at LT in the pros has nothing to do with Bulaga.

ToldLikeItIs
06-07-2009, 02:07 PM
and gallery is a top 5 LG in his own right.

Sniper
06-07-2009, 02:09 PM
and gallery is a top 5 LG in his own right.

No. Epic fail.

ToldLikeItIs
06-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Epic fail?

How lame are you?

Gallery is making the Pro Bowl this year.

TACKLE
06-07-2009, 07:25 PM
I blame Iowa Hawkeyes football program for Gallery's inability to play LT at the NFL. It's all Iowa's fault.

In all seriousness, Gallery has turned out to be a solid guard but he certainly hasn't warranted the #2 selection.

eaglesalltheway
06-08-2009, 01:19 PM
just remember, me and gf1080 were on Anthony Davis first, got it?

Then I guess I'm third, and I have no problems being third on that bandwagon, he is going to be a monster...

Sniper
06-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Epic fail?

How lame are you?

Gallery is making the Pro Bowl this year.

Steve Hutchinson, Chris Snee, Kris Dielman, Alan Faneca, Arron Sears, Eric Steinbach, Jahri Evans, Brian Waters are all guys that I can think of off the top of my head that are better. Hence, definitely not top 5.

Giantsfan1080
06-08-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm a little late to this but Anthony Davis will be a Top 10 ipick if he decides to come out. He's still young for being a Junior so it's very possible he stays and really builds himself up for the 2011 draft.

http://www.scarletknights.com/football/images/2008/davis_uconn.jpg

eaglesalltheway
06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm a little late to this but Anthony Davis will be a Top 10 ipick if he decides to come out. He's still young for being a Junior so it's very possible he stays and really builds himself up.

http://www.scarletknights.com/football/images/2008/davis_uconn.jpg

It'd benefit him (and scotty) if he stuck with Rutgers until his senior year, but I think even if he does come out, he will be a top 10 pick as an LT. He is a monster in the run game, and has incredible athletecism for his size, as well as good hand placement. He needs to improve his technique a little bit, but he has improved every year since he got there, and my money is on him improving that coming from last year into this year. I really like him, more than Bulaga even, who I also really like.

SKim172
06-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Since the AD train has already left the station, I'm starting up the Kevin Haslam bandwagon. That's the RT for Rutgers and while I doubt he's a first-day selection, he'll make someone very happy in the run game.

scottyboy
06-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Since the AD train has already left the station, I'm starting up the Kevin Haslam bandwagon. That's the RT for Rutgers and while I doubt he's a first-day selection, he'll make someone very happy in the run game.

agreed but I'm not so sure if Kevin's better off at RG for us this year. Forst's the future, and we'll be talking about him in a year or 2 at RT

Giantsfan1080
06-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Not to make this a RU thread but Haslam will probably play at RG in the NFL. We're quickly becoming a powerhouse at sending good lineman to the NFL.

yourfavestoner
06-08-2009, 10:01 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2008-12/43760295.jpg

BigBanger
06-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, there are no explosive pass rushers in the Big Ten. It's a league of bumbling clods like Aaron Maybin, Brandon Graham, Vernon Gholston, Lamarr Woodley, Martez Wilson, et al. That's why there are no good B10 offensive linemen in the NFL and certainly none being drafted in the top 10.
Gholston and Maybin are the only two legit pure pass rushers. Woodley is more of a technician and complete LDE who excelled with his motor, strength, football IQ and technique. He's very similar to Brandon Graham... just slightly better. Martez Wilson is a stand OLB... That is called reaching. You just named two guys that played in the Big 10 over the last two years that have a legit NFL burst off the line, and another one of those guys is barely a 230 pound OLB... he's also not that good. Tons of potential but as of right now, Wilson has done next to nothing to be mentioned with the likes of Aaron Maybin and Vernon Gholston. Brit Miller has more sacks than him, think we should add him to this elite group of pass rushers? Maybin also has about two whole games under his belt where he went up against a legit NFL linemen and he didn't record a sack in either of those games. He's incredibly raw and weak at the POA, so a guy like Bulaga can overpower him and dominate him, which happened... and also happened against USC. Maybin has a ton of bust potential, so that might not be something Bulaga would want to hang his hat on.

Its kind of like those OSU tackles everyone was talking about a couple years ago... then they played Florida and gave up around 30 sacks in the National Championship game and suddenly they're getting talk of going undrafted after this BS top 20 hype. They made Jarvis freaking Moss look like a first rounder.

I don't care if you like him, but, like I said, proceed with caution. Joe Thomas was a rare prospect. Big 10, Big 12, SEC, it didn't matter with him because his footwork was so exceptional. I really don't care if Bulaga dominated the DEs from Minnesota, Purdue, Northwestern, Pittsburgh, Main, Florida International, Indiana, Michigan State, or whoever the **** else he played. Watching him run block 40 times a game and just ware down a future accountant just doesn't impress me, especially when I don't see quick feet.

6'6 315
34 Vert

That's a very convincing argument.

I did not know he's a former high school TE. I may need to reconsider.

ToldLikeItIs
06-09-2009, 06:19 PM
What about when he took on South Carolina's DE's?

Shaughnessy wasn't too bad of a DE either, and he shut him down.

I would prefer Bulaga to Joe Thomas a prospect, only because he is so proportioned. He's not top or bottom heavy, just solid, everywhere.

srv fan
06-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Big 10 linemen are generally not good pro prospects

Your argument is, objectively speaking, completely full of ****. Look at the 2009 Pro Bowl roster of offensive linemen, broken down by college.

Big Ten- 7 players
Big 12- 5 players
SEC- 4 players
ACC- 2 players
Other- 2 players (North Texas, Eastern Washington)

If a conference is producing the most Pro Bowl caliber offensive linemen of any in the country, asserting that somehow players from there are not good pro prospects is asinine.

Hines
06-10-2009, 01:48 AM
This is the year the Steelers need to get that stud tackle. Left or right tackle, I don't care, I just want one. It would be better to get a LT so Starks can go to his natural RT spot if we resign him long term.

TACKLE
06-10-2009, 09:27 PM
This is the year the Steelers need to get that stud tackle. Left or right tackle, I don't care, I just want one. It would be better to get a LT so Starks can go to his natural RT spot if we resign him long term.

The guy I'd be looking at is a guy who's been getting a lot of love in this thread: Anthony Davis. He's a big, strong LT who is also a good athlete. He is versatile and could play LT or RT but is probably a LT long-term. His style of play would seem to fit-in in with the Steelers. And in the AFC North, you gotta be physical and you gotta be able to run the ball. Davis would help them do both.

Hines
06-10-2009, 11:58 PM
The guy I'd be looking at is a guy who's been getting a lot of love in this thread: Anthony Davis. He's a big, strong LT who is also a good athlete. He is versatile and could play LT or RT but is probably a LT long-term. His style of play would seem to fit-in in with the Steelers. And in the AFC North, you gotta be physical and you gotta be able to run the ball. Davis would help them do both.

I agree, but if the Steelers tank it, I doubt he will be available with our pick. Injuries and **** happens, but if everyone stays healthy and the talent level of our team, I can see us picking in the late 20s or picking 31 or 32.

Cicero
06-11-2009, 02:01 AM
How about Bruce Campbell to the Steelers?

BigBanger
06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Your argument is, objectively speaking, completely full of ****. Look at the 2009 Pro Bowl roster of offensive linemen, broken down by college.

Big Ten- 7 players
Big 12- 5 players
SEC- 4 players
ACC- 2 players
Other- 2 players (North Texas, Eastern Washington)

If a conference is producing the most Pro Bowl caliber offensive linemen of any in the country, asserting that somehow players from there are not good pro prospects is asinine.
My argument might not look as bad if you actually quoted me instead of using your own words, then putting my name on it.

We aren't talking about centers and guards. We are talking about OTs, and specifically LTs (Bulaga being considered a LT by everyone here). I don't care if Nick mangold made the Pro Bowl (The Pro Bowl is a joke to begin with... Ryan Clady? The best players don't always make it. It's a joke and a big reason why most people don't watch it). Power and technique is more of a Big Ten quality. Speed and athleticism is more of an SEC quality. This is generally speaking. Certain positions are going to produce NFL caliber players... like interior linemen coming out of the Big 10.

Name the top 20 OTs in the game right now. See how many LTs are from the Big Ten.

I'll make a list, random order.

1. JOE THOMAS
2. JAKE LONG
3. Jordan Gross
4. Ryan Clady
5. Michael Roos
6. Jamaal Brown
7. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
8. David Stewart
9. Marcus McNeil
10. Branden Albert
11. Jason Peters
12. Jared Gaiter
13. Jeff Otah
14. Walter Jones
15. Kareem McKenzie
16. ORLANDO PACE
17. Vernon Carey
18. Bryant McKinne
19. FLOZELL ADAMS
20. Joe Staley (as a RT... Tony Ugoh / Chad Clifton / Jeremey Trueblood could go here and none of them are Big Ten guys so I wont worry about it)

Out of that personal top 20 (a couple names could change in and out, but no other Big Ten guys so it doesn't matter)... there are 4 Big Ten guys, and two of them are at the back end of their careers, and not the players they used to be. Guys like Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Andre Smith will soon be added to this group. Adams will soon be one of the guys replaced, so basically you have two franchise LTs from the Big 10... I liked both of them coming out and had both of them 3rd overall, and I called Joe Thomas the best T prospect I've ever seen. He had the best WR and RB prospect in the same class, but he's usually a #1 overall type talent.

As a guard he might be a top 25 caliber guy, but as a LT? Big drop off.

Sniper
06-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Remember when people said Jake Long wouldn't be a left tackle in the NFL? That was fun.

iowatreat54
06-11-2009, 05:59 PM
In your eyes, Joe Thomas was a better OT prospect than Orlando Pace?

BigBanger
06-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Remember when people said Jake Long wouldn't be a left tackle in the NFL? That was fun.
Very few people thought that. Only uninformed people doubted his ability to play LT. Questions about speed rushers were there, but they weren't server enough to kick him to the right side. And he will struggle with speed. Most LTs will. Ryan Clady might have been a more "natural" LT, but Long's ability to play on the left side was never a question. It would have been a Robert Gallery type surprise if he failed.

In your eyes, Joe Thomas was a better OT prospect than Orlando Pace?
I didn't see Orlando Pace in college, so yes, Joe Thomas is the best T prospect I've ever seen. If I said he was the best T prospect then thats my mistake. Tony Mandrich was the best... according to most people.

Sniper
06-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Very few people thought that.

False.

I didn't see Orlando Pace in college, so yes, Joe Thomas is the best T prospect I've ever seen.

As prospects, Orlando Pace would destroy Joe Thomas and then steal his lunch money.

iowatreat54
06-11-2009, 07:41 PM
I understand that you said "that I've seen."

I keep assuming posters on here aren't just hitting puberty.

BigBanger
06-11-2009, 08:01 PM
False.
Name some people that thought that about Long. And don't name some kid from these message boards.

There are people on these boards talking about Ciron Black and talking about him like he's a first round pick. He's not as bad as that fat lard ass Herman Johnson, but he's hardly a first day pick. Heavy-legged waist benders with terrible balance and bad technique are usually not taken in the first three rounds. And on top of that, he's simply not an NFL LT and you can see he'll have big problems and probably be looked at as a RT prospect, but there's people out there that simply have no idea what they're talking about. People talked about Loadholt and Duke Robinson like they were special. They acted like Herman Johnson could move. You can't listen to most people.

I understand that you said "that I've seen."

I keep assuming posters on here aren't just hitting puberty.
Just hitting? Is this an attempt at humor? I could be thirty and realistically not know a damn thing about Orlando Pace in college other than Mel Kiper liked him a lot. That would make me around 18 during his final year of college, and how many 18 year olds were talking about football prospects in 1997? Were you scouting back then? If you were, then you're one of very few. Considering the lack of resources for a person that age in that period with less games to watch and limited recording devices... blah blah blah... Did you like Ryan Leaf? How about Tony Mandrich? How about Marcus Allen? OJ? Jim Brown? Bronko Nagurski? Tell me about these prospects you museum.

Most posters on here are like 16. Why would you think otherwise? You've been here long enough to stop thinking that way.

iowatreat54
06-11-2009, 08:07 PM
You've never seen Orlando Pace before he played in the NFL? Everyone and their mother that is at least a little interested in football knows that people were calling Pace a 1st round prospect out of high school.

And it was a joke. Lighten up. I forgot...

http://www.viscerotica.net/pictures/commentary/internet_serious_business4.jpg

etk
06-11-2009, 09:08 PM
What about when he took on South Carolina's DE's?

Shaughnessy wasn't too bad of a DE either, and he shut him down.

I would prefer Bulaga to Joe Thomas a prospect, only because he is so proportioned. He's not top or bottom heavy, just solid, everywhere.

Wow. Amazingly....I'm gonna have to agree with Told on this one.

I mean, Told is clearly being a homer, but at least it's justified. Bulaga is a well-proportioned beast with a powerful base and a strong upper body. He gets under your pads and drives you back with perfect knee bend and arm extension. He moves more naturally than Long or Thomas.

Who cares who Bulaga played? He could take on any DE in the country and he'd throw them around all game. Talent is talent regardless of the opposition, and Bulaga is an impressive lineman with serious talent.

ToldLikeItIs
06-12-2009, 06:58 AM
I honestly can not remember a better proportioned tackle prospect since.. Mandarich?

Bulaga is the epitome of an athlete, if anything due to his ridiculous body type.

Hines
06-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I honestly can not remember a better proportioned tackle prospect since.. Mandarich?

Bulaga is the epitome of an athlete, if anything due to his ridiculous body type.

Hopefully he doesn't turn out like Gallery did at tackle. Gallery is a pretty good guard.

Mr. Stiller
06-20-2009, 03:33 AM
I think this tackle class will soon be disappointing some people. I can't call any of these guys potential top 5 guys. Not even top 10. Last year I saw three top 5 caliber tackles. Same thing the year before.

Okung, although talented, is extremely raw technically. He would probably have been a first round pick this year due to his upside. He seems to have adequate size with great quickness. His hands are sub par, his balance is sub par, he plays more of a finesse game and needs to make big improvements at the point of attack. His foot work is very sloppy and extremely inconsistent. He reminds me a lot of Duane Brown from Virginia Tech, but Brown was probably the much better run blocker. This top 5 talk is absurd. Is he a top 5 talent? Talent, yes, but he has a long way to go be on the same level as an Andre Smith, Jason Smith, Euguene Monroe, Jack Long, Ryan Clady, Branden Albert or any of the other top tier OTs from previous draft classes. He's a natural LT with excellent quickness and agility. He has not played up to the kind of hype he's getting. Balance, hand placement and overall strength at the point of attack are big concerns for Okung. This all comes back to technique, so a team will see that and think they can coach him up to an elite level prospect. Very raw, but his upside will place him high on draft boards. He dominated Orakpo, but Orakpo is a terrible matchup. He has no hand work or technique and that's what will give Okung fits, not just speed. It's the Chris Long types that will make Okung look foolish, not the raw and predictable Brian Orakpo's.

Trent Williams looks like a natural RT prospect. For that, his value drops. He can be a great pro and I think he's by far the best offensive linemen prospect OU has had since Brown. Very good run blocker and very good technique. He does have some things he needs to work on, but I don't see the quick feet to be a LT at the next level. With another good season I think he'll go in the middle of round 1, but I would be shocked if he went top 10. He lacks the fluidity and quickness in his lower half.

If Bulaga is a top 5 prospect then people haven't learned from the last mistake who's almost an exact replica of Robert Gallery, but not as good. He does not have the athletic ability to a LT at the next level. He might not even be a RT. He could be a Pro Bowl caliber guard for a power system team that a team like Pittsburgh uses. Big 10 linemen are, especially LTs, guys I'd proceed with caution when gauging. Big 10 is a different breed of football players. He's not facing guys that explode off the ball time and time again. He's doing a lot more run blocking than pass protection. He's a great run blocker and he's well coached like pretty much all Big 10 linemen. The thing he doesn't have is that Russell Okung' type potential for the next level. He's a guy with limited upside due to his very average quickness and foot speed.

Pittsburgh runs a "Power" system?

Get with the times, we're more zone/Spread oriented.

06-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Hopefully he doesn't turn out like Gallery did at tackle. Gallery is a pretty good guard.

The two are really not that similar, Gallery was never on the same level athletically.

TACKLE
10-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Jason Fox looked great tonight against a very strong OU D-Line. He was been playing at a very high level all year and he has continued to step it up. He seems like he could be a legit late 1st/early 2nd as a LT. He's a very good athlete but also looked strong in the run game consistently getting great push in the run game. They've even flexed in out in a bunch set to do crack-back blocks in space.

Also, Trent Williams looked bad against Miami today. His quickness and athleticism were exposed against Miami's speed rushers. I'm starting to question his standing as a Top 10 player and his ability to play LT in the NFL. I know its just one game but still.

BigBanger
10-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Jason Fox looked great tonight against a very strong OU D-Line. He was been playing at a very high level all year and he has continued to step it up. He seems like he could be a legit late 1st/early 2nd as a LT. He's a very good athlete but also looked strong in the run game consistently getting great push in the run game. They've even flexed in out in a bunch set to do crack-back blocks in space.

Also, Trent Williams looked bad against Miami today. His quickness and athleticism were exposed against Miami's speed rushers. I'm starting to question his standing as a Top 10 player and his ability to play LT in the NFL. I know its just one game but still.
Williams is not a LT (I've been saying since he looked slow as a RT). He is a natural RT prospect. I would go as far to say that Williams was atrocious against Miami. He's def not a top 10 player. He's good... but that's all he is. He's not great. He's not special. He's just a solid RT prospect. This looks like a fairly average draft, so top 20 is understandable, but top 10 is overrating him. He didn't show any effort. He was on the ground at least once a series eating some ******* grass. It was the worst I've ever seen him.

Fox looked much better, but I don't think he's anything special. OU really doesn't have any great pass rusher opposite Beal (who's very solid, but English is complete garbage), but they rarely matched up against each other. I think he's worthy of a second / third round pick.

I was also very impressed with Bualga. From the previous post I made before the season started, he might be the only one that makes me eat my words. He was probably the most impressive OT I've seen all year. DUDES A ******* TECHNICIAN WITH VERY GOOD FEET!!!!!!!! I'm going to hold off on calling him a top 5 prospect (I want to see him go up against a better opponent than ARK ST), but I don't think the hype around his name is absurd like Trent Williams (who does nothing that makes you think he's an elite player). If he can keep that technique with a good speed rusher, then Bualga' legit.

ToldLikeItIs
10-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Bulaga looked very light on his feet against Arkansas State.

Race for the Heisman
10-04-2009, 04:56 PM

Because everyone is going to take your opinion at face value. But I kid, I kid. Bulaga is nice, but I need to see more.

roscoesdad27
10-04-2009, 08:53 PM

reminds me of jake long alot...could develope into a franchise left tackle or be a pro bowl caliber right tackle at the worst imho....i think the skins might take him or maybe even detroit..he and okung are tied for #1 in my book...okung is better for a zbs or west coast team while buluga is better for a power run p.a. team.

TACKLE
10-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Imo, Bulaga is the second best player in the draft behind Gerald McCoy.

Malaka
10-04-2009, 09:09 PM
I do in fact like Bulaga more than Okung, if you look at my last mock I had Bulaga going #2.

etk
10-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Imo, Bulaga is the second best player in the draft behind Gerald McCoy.

Imo,

I AGREE.

I'm surprised ANYONE has the same top 2 as me ATM. Then again you're pretty good at evaluating linemen.

iowatreat54
10-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Question, while we are talking about Bulaga:

How do you guys think the recent illness (thyroid condition) with his heart will effect his draft? I don't know if a lot of people know a lot about it, myself included, but if he were to come out after this year, do you guys think it could hurt him?

Babylon
10-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Question, while we are talking about Bulaga:

How do you guys think the recent illness (thyroid condition) with his heart will effect his draft? I don't know if a lot of people know a lot about it, myself included, but if he were to come out after this year, do you guys think it could hurt him?

Not a doctor but i think the thyroid, which most of the time can be treated, causes the heart to act irregular, not the other way around. So much for Grey's anatomy. I think he has enough time and the OT position is pretty wide open for him to be a high pick when he does come out. Probably his only obastacle is the Robert Gallery stigma.

djp
10-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Fox can be a solid starter at RT for someone like Eric Winston. In fact, they are almost identical prospects even though Winston had way more hype going into his senior season.

Zone blocking teams will love this kid.

TACKLE
10-13-2009, 12:10 PM
What do you guys think of Gabe Carimi for Wisconsin?

Ozzy
10-13-2009, 12:17 PM
What do you guys think of Gabe Carimi for Wisconsin?I would say he is easily one of the top four junior offensive tackles, and that is saying a lot considering that talent in that class. By far Wisconsin's best offensive lineman prospect, huge kid and is a very solid run blocker, can just lean on guys and move them with leverage.

Geo
10-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Fox can be a solid starter at RT for someone like Eric Winston. In fact, they are almost identical prospects even though Winston had way more hype going into his senior season.

I think there's a good chance he might be able to play LT, especially in that specific system. Just understand going in that you're not going to get a physical run-blocker, he'll do a decent job.

Babylon
10-13-2009, 01:31 PM
What do you guys think of Gabe Carimi for Wisconsin?

He'd be one of my top OTs if he comes out this year. Needs to get a litttle stronger but that will come with time. More than held his own in individual mathcups against OSU.

JFLO
10-13-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm not completely sold on Carimi being a first round prospect like some are making him out to be, but he definitely has the potential to be a starting LT at the next level.

I think people are putting too much of a base of the fact that he comes from Wisconsin, a school is known for producing nice talent on the offensive line. He deserves that credit, but not as much as I think he is getting.

I think if he declares this year, he is a early 2nd-mid third round guy. I like Bulaga and Davis more but I also like Bruce Campbell about as much as I do Carimi.

Ozzy
10-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Jonathan Martin FR OT Stanford
David DeCastro FR OG Stanford

Those two players are going to be flat out stars, wonderful offensive line talent there for Stanford. Both players are athletic, get down field and are nasty and aggressive blockers. Odd that the old QB is running a smash mouth college football team, but clearly he is developing Stanford's identity and recruiting players to do it.

Only a little into the season but they are easily the best group of young offensive lineman I have seen this year.

Babylon
10-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Jonathan Martin FR OT Stanford
David DeCastro FR OG Stanford

Those two players are going to be flat out stars, wonderful offensive line talent there for Stanford. Both players are athletic, get down field and are nasty and aggressive blockers. Odd that the old QB is running a smash mouth college football team, but clearly he is developing Stanford's identity and recruiting players to do it.

Only a little into the season but they are easily the best group of young offensive lineman I have seen this year.

Another Bellevue high kid (stones throw from Seattle) that got away from the UW, the other being Stephen Schilling. Jake Locker wouldnt mind those guys blocking for him rather than the retreads they have up front.

Malaka
10-13-2009, 07:21 PM

There kinda different, Winston deserved his hype, and IMO definitely a top 10 pick, he was great in run blocking, excellent in pass protect, and played against great competition.... until he blew his knee out his senior season... it has slowed his mobility to this day... people thought he was done and plummeted on draft boards, he's proven otherwise, but the only reason he's at RT, is because of that knee.

Fox and Winston are both around 310 6'7, but Winston was a much better player, however Fox is very good in his own right. I think he'll be a late first rounder, I like him better than Trent Williams.

Babylon
10-13-2009, 07:29 PM
There kinda different, Winston deserved his hype, and IMO definitely a top 10 pick, he was great in run blocking, excellent in pass protect, and played against great competition.... until he blew his knee out his senior season... it has slowed his mobility to this day... people thought he was done and plummeted on draft boards, he's proven otherwise, but the only reason he's at RT, is because of that knee.

Fox and Winston are both around 310 6'7, but Winston was a much better player, however Fox is very good in his own right. I think he'll be a late first rounder, I like him better than Trent Williams.

I like him better than Williams also. I think if some Juniors like Davis, Brown and Ziemba declare there could be some deep depth at that position, but sort of light at the top.

bored of education
10-24-2009, 04:33 PM
**** i suck

wordofi
10-25-2009, 10:42 AM
I do in fact like Bulaga more than Okung, if you look at my last mock I had Bulaga going #2.

Same here. Bulaga is more proportioned and is stronger.

Unbiased
10-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Fox reminds me of Eben Britton. Whoever drafts him will get a great RT for many years. Could also be a solid LT for a team that's weak up front.

bored of education
10-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Bulaga is looking better. The more I have on him film wise the more I like him. he is not my top T prospect yet.

TACKLE
10-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Bulaga is looking better. The more I have on him film wise the more I like him. he is not my top T prospect yet.

Who is your top OT prospect?

TACKLE
10-27-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm not really sure where to rank the players in this OT class.

Coming into the season Bulaga was my guy and he looked great early in the year but then got worked by Graham and Schofield. He has all the tools and is a very complete player but he'll need prove himself against top competition.

Anthony Davis was the other guy really liked coming into the season. Though he struggled early in the season he seems to be coming on now. Sometimes he looks excellent, other times just okay. His consistency is the biggest question I have about him but his talent is hard to ignore.

Okung is good but I don't see him as an elite Top 5-10 talent. He can come in and be a solid LT but I don't see him being special.

Trent Williams who was great as a junior, has been exposed on the left side. He looks as if he's gained a bit of weight this year and has struggled with speed rushers. He shows flashes of being dominant but then he gets embarrassed off the edge from time to time. I still have questions whether he can be a LT in the NFL.

I like what I've seen from Gabe Carimi, Selvish Capers, Charles Brown and Jason Fox. They could all be potential late 1st-early 2nd type guys though none of those guys belong in the discussion of top OT in the draft. If there was one of those guys who could emerege it would be Carimi but he still has a bit to prove.

draftguru151
10-27-2009, 09:14 PM
It might have just been the UCONN game but Capers looked AWFUL. Beat around the edge multiple times, nothing in the run game, looked like an ok athlete that's worth a look in the mid/late rounds but that's all I saw.

Really, really like what I've seen of Charles Brown this year. Probably my 2nd OT (behind Okung) at this point. I like Trent Williams, just haven't gotten a great read on how much yet.

Cicero
10-27-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm not really sure where to rank the players in this OT class.

Coming into the season Bulaga was my guy and he looked great early in the year but then got worked by Graham and Schofield. He has all the tools and is a very complete player but he'll need prove himself against top competition.

Anthony Davis was the other guy really liked coming into the season. Though he struggled early in the season he seems to be coming on now. Sometimes he looks excellent, other times just okay. His consistency is the biggest question I have about him but his talent is hard to ignore.

Okung is good but I don't see him as an elite Top 5-10 talent. He can come in and be a solid LT but I don't see him being special.

Trent Williams who was great as a junior, has been exposed on the left side. He looks as if he's gained a bit of weight this year and has struggled with speed rushers. He shows flashes of being dominant but then he gets embarrassed off the edge from time to time. I still have questions whether he can be a LT in the NFL.

I like what I've seen from Gabe Carimi, Selvish Capers, Charles Brown and Jason Fox. They could all be potential late 1st-early 2nd type guys though none of those guys belong in the discussion of top OT in the draft. If there was one of those guys who could emerege it would be Carimi but he still has a bit to prove.

Tackle have you watched Bruce Campbell? He's been the most impressive to me this season and he's my #2 LT now.

TACKLE
10-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Tackle have you watched Bruce Campbell? He's been the most impressive to me this season and he's my #2 LT now.

Didn't he get injured this season? I know he's struggled with injuries in the past. I only got to see him in one game this year and that was the game he went down. Though Bruce Campbell is probably the most physically gifted OT in this draft. He has a very rare combination of size/athleticism. Though he was only a part time starter last year and hasn't played every game this season. I like what I've seen so far, but with his lack of experience I think its probably in his best interest to come back to school. Though with the rookie cap looming, there is talk that a record number of juniors may declare. I think if Campbell stays he could be the top pick in 2011. If he comes out this year, with his numbers, he could work himself into the middle-late first.

Cicero
10-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Didn't he get injured this season? I know he's struggled with injuries in the past. I only got to see him in one game this year and that was the game he went down. Though Bruce Campbell is probably the most physically gifted OT in this draft. He has a very rare combination of size/athleticism. Though he was only a part time starter last year and hasn't played every game this season. I like what I've seen so far, but with his lack of experience I think its probably in his best interest to come back to school. Though with the rookie cap looming, there is talk that a record number of juniors may declare. I think if Campbell stays he could be the top pick in 2011. If he comes out this year, with his numbers, he could work himself into the middle-late first.

He missed the Wake Forrest game but was back for the Virginia game..

kwilk103
10-27-2009, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=draftguru151;1855383]It might have just been the UCONN game but Capers looked AWFUL. Beat around the edge multiple times, nothing in the run game, looked like an ok athlete that's worth a look in the mid/late rounds but that's all I saw.

[QUOTE]

thats what i've been saying; i couldnt believe hes been considered a 1st/2nd round pick

1 game he'll look like a top 10 pick, then the very next game he'll look like an udfa

very frustrating

on friday, he has to go up against george selvie and jason paul pierre

CC.SD
10-27-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm not going to pretend to be a Buluga expert but from what little I have seen and read, he is a much stronger run blocker than pass blocker, whereas Okung is better rounded. Value wise in the draft it's no contest that Okung is the better prospect, yah?

Although I guess this doesn't pan out in practice...Jake Long vs. Ryan Clady doesn't look stellar in retrospect, and that's not even a knock on Jake.

Thumper
10-27-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't think there are any players that are comparable to Jake Long and Ryan Clady. Bulaga is not as good as Long IMO and there is no one as good as Clady who I thought very highly of Clady and I really thought the Chiefs should've taken him at #5. People forget how strong Long was and how dominating he was in all facets of the game especially run blocking and how athletic and big Clady was he ran a 5.18 at 6'6" and 316.

JFLO
11-11-2009, 06:56 PM
How many games has Bruce Campbell missed this season and with what injury?

Sniper
11-11-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm not going to pretend to be a Buluga expert but from what little I have seen and read, he is a much stronger run blocker than pass blocker, whereas Okung is better rounded. Value wise in the draft it's no contest that Okung is the better prospect, yah?

Although I guess this doesn't pan out in practice...Jake Long vs. Ryan Clady doesn't look stellar in retrospect, and that's not even a knock on Jake.

Long's 20x the run blocker Clady is. People get too hyped over Clady's pass pro numbers. They're good, but he's an average run blocker.

D-Unit
11-11-2009, 09:02 PM
How many games has Bruce Campbell missed this season and with what injury?
MCL injury. He's missed 3 games. Some thing he's a lock for the Top 10.

bored of education
11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Over the last lets say 5 years, where is Okung as a prospect? I'd say he is middle of the bunch between the top of the class like Long, Thomas, and better than Albert and Monroe. Where abouts would you have him?

princefielder28
11-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Over the last lets say 5 years, where is Okung as a prospect? I'd say he is middle of the bunch between the top of the class like Long, Thomas, and better than Albert and Monroe. Where abouts would you have him?

I'd say he's in the class of very good but certainly not elite

D-Unit
11-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Okung is the most overrated player in the draft.

JFLO
11-12-2009, 06:21 AM

This statement smells of stinky cheese.

There are far more overrated players than Okung in this draft.

Taylor Mays
Colt McCoy (Rob Lang and Chad Reuter of *************.com/cbs still have McCoy going in the Top Ten?!?!?!?)
Terrence Cody

There are a lot more those are just a couple.

killxswitch
11-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Maybe you guys can help me out. The Colts need OTs. Our RT is overpaid and could be released after this season, and our LT is really just a guy. We need better run blocking and only solid pass blocking because Manning's decision and release time is so quick.

Any guys fit that bill could go late 1st?

Ozzy
11-12-2009, 10:04 AM
It might have just been the UCONN game but Capers looked AWFUL. Beat around the edge multiple times, nothing in the run game, looked like an ok athlete that's worth a look in the mid/late rounds but that's all I saw.I agree with that, he did not look all that good against UCONN, Witten really kicked his butt. Against Colorado he dominated in the run game, clearly had issues against the speed of Witten.

I love his base thought for a OT, very thick legs, low to the ground and potentially powerful, but clearly has issues against speed rushers. So yeah I bet he could still be a first day pick because of potential but had a rough game against Witten. With Capers it is all about potential those considering he came into West Virginia as a tight end.

PS Trent Williams looks almost average, against Nebraska he was not dominating at all and got beat a few times.

Cicero
11-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Maybe you guys can help me out. The Colts need OTs. Our RT is overpaid and could be released after this season, and our LT is really just a guy. We need better run blocking and only solid pass blocking because Manning's decision and release time is so quick.

As I found out being the GM for the Colts in the last forum mock the answer is probably not. The OTs who went in round 2 (I had pick 32) were Selvish Capers, Ciron Black, and Jason Fox. I don't think any of those guys are worth taking in the first round (esp Black) and I feel even more strongly that they won't be the best players on Polian's board on draft day.

etk
11-12-2009, 10:44 AM

Jason Fox is good at everything.

Maybe scouts will wise up and he'll go top 20, but as of now he should be available in the late 1st.

djp
11-12-2009, 10:46 AM

Okung is easily the best tackle prospect in this draft, he's not elite, but he's damn good. I would put him in that Eugene Monroe tier of tackles.

etk
11-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Okung is easily the best tackle prospect in this draft, he's not elite, but he's damn good. I would put him in that Eugene Monroe tier of tackles.

I like him better than Monroe and Albert.

But I like Bulaga better than Okung.

D-Unit
11-12-2009, 01:18 PM
I agree that he's not elite. Therefore overrated. Damn good? Yeah, I'm ok with that so long as you're talking about pass protection. But he doesn't have elite footspeed. Not powerful out of his stance, no powerful punch, and he lunges. I've seen him whiff badly sometimes. Dives straight at thin air. He's one dimensional and too finesse for me to consider him the best OT prospect.

Giantsfan1080
11-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Everyone watch Anthony Davis tonight. He's sort of having a down year but it will still be a good matchup against Selvie and Pierre-Paul.

BigBanger
11-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Long's 20x the run blocker Clady is. People get too hyped over Clady's pass pro numbers. They're good, but he's an average run blocker.
Clady is the best LT in all of football and it isn't even close. Long might be the better run blocker, but few LTs can match up one-on-one with DeMarcus Ware for an entire game and completely shut him down. I don't know what pass pro numbers you're talking about (we're talking about OTs), but Clady is the most dominate LT in all of football. He's also a much better run blocker than given credit for.

Okung has tons of potential, but he's not anywhere near Clady. Clady had better size and athleticism just as good. Okung is a big softy that plays the game very weak at the POA and is going to really struggle at the next level. He is strictly a ZBS guy. He is still very raw, the main difference that made Clady a top 10 player was his unreal hand placement, length and initial punch, which combined with his ability to anchor down and reset his feet, made him one of the bets prospects (he had his hand in a cast his junior year and played with an injury). He locks his hands on a defender and just stones a pass rusher. Okung can get jacked up and driven back.

Bulaga needs another year to get to Jake Long (and I don't think he will) and Okung has no chance to get to Ryan Clady. It's a solid comparison, but the talent level between the players is significantly less compared to Clady / Long.

D-Unit
11-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Everyone watch Anthony Davis tonight. He's sort of having a down year but it will still be a good matchup against Selvie and Pierre-Paul.
I really like Davis. Rutgers is having a down year and in the beginning the OL as a whole weren't so hot. But Davis has quietly started to boost his stock back up lately. He dominated both Greg Romeus and Lindsey Witten the last couple of weeks. I have occassionally heard of guys wanting him to play RT and I think that's an insult to him. People want to peg hole guys, but just because Davis is physical doesn't mean his best fit is RT.

JFLO
11-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Weren't people saying the same exact thing about Clady when he was coming out of college? That he was soft and was a strict fit for ZBS? Obviously it worked out well since he ended up in Denver.

I'm not saying Clady is overrated but Okung is certainly not overrated and doesn't deserve this criticism he is receiving.

D-Unit
11-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Bulaga needs another year to get to Jake Long (and I don't think he will) and Okung has no chance to get to Ryan Clady. It's a solid comparison, but the talent level between the players is significantly less compared to Clady / Long.
I could certainly agree that another year would definitely help Bulaga re-establish his falling stock. Something is just not right this year. He's not showing the same things he showed as a sophomore. Then again, he could just be exposed further. At the very least, he'd be a fantastic RT in the NFL. Reminds me of Marc Columbo.

iowatreat54
11-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Well, he missed 3 weeks in the middle of the season, and his first game back was Michigan I believe, with Wisconsin the following week. So, facing 2 of the best DEs in the conference after not working out for about 3 weeks and you can't really expect him to dominate.

However, he has been lights out since the Wisconsin game. But at this point, he really needs to stay for his senior year to play a full year. It would be pretty dumb, imo, to come out now.

Babylon
11-12-2009, 02:27 PM
I could certainly agree that another year would definitely help Bulaga re-establish his falling stock. Something is just not right this year. He's not showing the same things he showed as a sophomore. Then again, he could just be exposed further. At the very least, he'd be a fantastic RT in the NFL. Reminds me of Marc Columbo.

He's a lot more talented than Columbo and not sure if his stock is falling (maybe on this site).

Okung is probably the best but the top tier is average, i'd go Okung, Bulaga with Davis and Fox vying for that 3rd spot.

The thing with this years tackle group is it's not top heavy like last year. A team like the Chiefs should have had some foresight and taken a top tackle last year and come back with a top D-lineman this year, they did the opposite and it think they will end up with lesser players. That's why they're the Chiefs i guess.

CC.SD
11-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Trent Williams in the mid to late 20s as a RT could be stellar IMO. I like him a lot but this year at LT he hasn't stood out in the games I've seen.

Giantsfan1080
11-12-2009, 03:15 PM
I really like Davis. Rutgers is having a down year and in the beginning the OL as a whole weren't so hot. But Davis has quietly started to boost his stock back up lately. He dominated both Greg Romeus and Lindsey Witten the last couple of weeks. I have occassionally heard of guys wanting him to play RT and I think that's an insult to him. People want to peg hole guys, but just because Davis is physical doesn't mean his best fit is RT.

He'll end up at LT in the NFL. He did start off slow but as you said he's been bringing it lately. I expect a big performance from him tonight.

D-Unit
11-12-2009, 04:21 PM
He's a lot more talented than Columbo and not sure if his stock is falling (maybe on this site).

Okung is probably the best but the top tier is average, i'd go Okung, Bulaga with Davis and Fox vying for that 3rd spot.

The thing with this years tackle group is it's not top heavy like last year. A team like the Chiefs should have had some foresight and taken a top tackle last year and come back with a top D-lineman this year, they did the opposite and it think they will end up with lesser players. That's why they're the Chiefs i guess.
On Columbo... Well, it's a lot easier to say than prove... both ways, I guess. Columbo was a first rounder who has ended up being one of the best RTs in the game.

I love when guys say stuff like "overrated/underrated on this site"... It's amusing like they know better or have heard better. Could very well be true, but I find it a little condescending.

Of your noted Tackles, you probably left off the #1 OT overall. In my book, that's Bruce Campbell.

thule
11-12-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't think there is any way in hell Trent Williams lands in the first. He is no better than the 5th in the OT rankings as we have it now. He has had a terrible season. You look at a guy like Phil Loadholt last year and I see a similar situation.

princefielder28
11-12-2009, 04:36 PM
I don't think there is any way in hell Trent Williams lands in the first. He is no better than the 5th in the OT rankings as we have it now. He has had a terrible season. You look at a guy like Phil Loadholt last year and I see a similar situation.

I wouldn't be surprised to Williams fall out of the first. He's a RT all the way.

thule
11-12-2009, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to Williams fall out of the first. He's a RT all the way.

I would be surprised if he DID go in the first.

Babylon
11-12-2009, 05:17 PM
On Columbo... Well, it's a lot easier to say than prove... both ways, I guess. Columbo was a first rounder who has ended up being one of the best RTs in the game.

I like Columbo, BC boy (nephew is going there). He was a late 1st, and not particularly mobile, more the mauler type

I love when guys say stuff like "overrated/underrated on this site"... It's amusing like they know better or have heard better. Could very well be true, but I find it a little condescending.

Did not use the words overrate/underrated. What i did say was i thought the group of tackles was average

Of your noted Tackles, you probably left off the #1 OT overall. In my book, that's Bruce Campbell.

Time will tell. you very well may be right

Supporting Caste
11-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Haha, I didn't know who Anthony Davis was until the Rutgers/USF game started. I looked up the Rutgers left tackle and here I am.

Needless to say, he looks good. I don't know where he ranks, but I can't remember the time I saw a tackle that big move that quick. He's big enough to maul but I can't see him having trouble with edge rushers with that sort of lateral movement.

thule
11-12-2009, 07:43 PM
His real coming out party to me was when he made Lindsey Witten look like a scrub. He had garnered hype but really hadn't dominated a future NFL rusher this year.

Giantsfan1080
11-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Haha, I didn't know who Anthony Davis was until the Rutgers/USF game started. I looked up the Rutgers left tackle and here I am.

Needless to say, he looks good. I don't know where he ranks, but I can't remember the time I saw a tackle that big move that quick. He's big enough to maul but I can't see him having trouble with edge rushers with that sort of lateral movement.

He'll be a 1st rounder when he decides to come out. I think he should stay the extra year since he's still young and he'd have the chance to be a Top 10 pick if he waits. If he decides to cash in now though I couldn't blame him.

Cicero
11-12-2009, 11:41 PM
In all fairness it's not that hard to look good against Selvie.

etk
11-13-2009, 11:51 AM

Everyone hated Loadholt last year. He's now the starting RT for the Vikings.

At least Loadholt had great size, natural athletic ability and loads of upside. Williams has average size and is playing average = not 1st rounder. If he wasn't on Scott's front page for the longest time I wouldn't even know he was a serious draft prospect.

P-L
11-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Williams was totally dominant as a right tackle though. He is similar to Gosder Cherilus in that both were dominant right tackles who struggled after moving to the left side for their senior years. I think Williams stock is similar to Cherilus' was as well. I'd still take him in the latter half of the first round if I needed to shore up the right side of my line.

BigBanger
11-13-2009, 07:14 PM
He'll end up at LT in the NFL. He did start off slow but as you said he's been bringing it lately. I expect a big performance from him tonight.
He was good, but not great.

He was surprisingly average in the run game, and he has a few technique problems and overall lack of consistency, but he might best the OT in this years draft.

Pierre beat him badly once (and they didn't really matchup that much) and Selvie beat him badly on the first play off the game where Davis was extremely slow coming out of his stance on a pulling play. In pass protection he had no problem with Selvie throughout the course of the game. During the few times he matched up against the better DE prospect, Jason Pierre-Paul, he either down blocked or looked bad (except for one time when JPP tried to do a spin that Davis completely shut down, but he moved so slow, I could have blocked him). JPP got a QB hit matched up against him and 1 TFL (where Davis should have chipped him). Those two big plays during the 5 or so times they were engaged with each other.

I was disappointed with his physicality at the point of attack and he didn't maul in the run game like I've seen him do in the past. His footwork is inconsistent, like his game overall. Sometimes he'll get a little lazy and he wont move his feet very well (not good in space and his athleticism will be overrated, it's good, but not great), and that's when you see him bending at the waist, reaching and getting off balance. He also needs work on hand placement and punch. When he does it well, he can lock onto a defender and shut them right down, but sometimes he'll take a hit and get knocked on his heels and driven back (like JPP did).

I think he might be a top 15 guy this year and I do like his potential.

Giantsfan1080
11-13-2009, 08:36 PM
I agree with most of that except I didn't see or missed the play where Paul beat him. Davis is still very young since he came in and started right away which a lot of tackles don't do. Last year he was much more physical but for whatever reason I haven't seen that as much this year though. He still has tons of potential as you said.

scottyboy
11-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Davis most likely will be the franchise LT in the NFL, BUT he could easily play OG or RT. He would have to play more physical, but he started off for us at OG, he can certainley play it. He's got the size

RaiderNation
11-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Davis kind of reminds me of Andre Smith in a way. Both have weight concerns, but if you keep it in check, he can be a pro bowler at OT or OG

SenorGato
11-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Davis kind of reminds me of Andre Smith in a way. Both have weight concerns, but if you keep it in check, he can be a pro bowler at OT or OG

Yea, I think I prefer Davis at LG or RT. He could probably play LT, but we got D'Brick lol.

FUNBUNCHER
11-14-2009, 03:45 AM
Are there any OT prospects (more than 2 ?) at this point who look worthy of being selected in the top 10?

Inquiring Skins fans would love to know.

Babylon
11-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Are there any OT prospects (more than 2 ?) at this point who look worthy of being selected in the top 10?

I think you'd be reaching at this point. Trade down.

iowatreat54
11-18-2009, 03:26 PM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20091117/SPORTS020502/91117026/1003/SPORTS/Iowa-football-Bulaga-says-he-would-consider-leaving-for-NFL

Bulaga says he will consider leaving if he is projected to go first round.

Of course anyone will consider it if they are told they will go first round, but to come out right now and say it is kind of telling imo.

DiG
11-18-2009, 03:31 PM

for me okung and davis are potential top 10 prospects. davis may not be quite there yet but i dont doubt hell work his way up. no one else imo right now is in the top 15-20 range. a lot of people talk up bruce campbell as a top 10 prospect but ive seen almost every game hes played and i dont believe that he will garner that kind of draft grade come april.

BigBanger
11-18-2009, 03:42 PM
a lot of people talk up bruce campbell as a top 10 prospect but ive seen almost every game hes played and i dont believe that he will garner that kind of draft grade come april.
Some people have no clue what they are talking about. It's like watching a freshman play, he's years away.

Bulaga dominated Cameron Haywerd when Iowa played against OSU, so that kind of bumped him up in my eyes (proved he could hold up very well at the POA against a first round caliber 34 DE prospect). I think that puts him at the top of the OT class even though I think his quickness and foot speed is an issue with quicker DEs. Basically, he's been the most consistent, although mildly disappointed.

Babylon
11-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Some people have no clue what they are talking about. It's like watching a freshman play, he's years away.

Bulaga dominated Cameron Haywerd when Iowa played against OSU, so that kind of bumped him up in my eyes (proved he could hold up very well at the POA against a first round caliber 34 DE prospect). I think that puts him at the top of the OT class even though I think his quickness and foot speed is an issue with quicker DEs. Basically, he's been the most consistent, although mildly disappointed.

Bulaga will probably have the best numbers out of the combine among the tackles,definitely in the 40.

Todd Bertuzzi
11-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Not if Bruce Campbell declares.

Babylon
11-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Not if Bruce Campbell declares.

You might be right, Bulaga ran a 4.8 out of highschool so it'll be interesting.

Texas Homer
11-18-2009, 06:21 PM

I know Adam Ulatoski may not be a 1st rounder(I have no idea what his draft stock is), but maybe the Redskins could pick up Ulatoski in the 2nd or 3rd round or something at OT.

It would be cool to see another Longhorn on the Redskins.

espnhatesthe49ers
11-19-2009, 11:18 AM
What's your guys thoughts on Gabe Carimi?

RaiderNation
11-19-2009, 11:28 AM

Id rate them: Russell Okung, Anthony Davis, Bryan Bulaga, Trent Williams, Bruce Campbell, Charles Brown and Jason Fox as 1st round OT. None are outstanding prospects like Joe Thomas or Jake Long but since the need of OT is always high I expect 5+ to be selected. As for top 10, Id say Okung, Davis and maybe Campbell. Campbell isnt the best talent right now, but he has more potential IMO than them all

ToldLikeItIs
11-19-2009, 02:00 PM
From what I understand, Bulaga's numbers are typically in this range during workouts:

4.92 forty, 35+ reps, 34+ vert

He goes 6'5.8 315

Texas Homer
11-19-2009, 02:27 PM
From what I understand, Bulaga's numbers are typically in this range during workouts:

4.92 forty, 35+ reps, 34+ vert

He goes 6'5.8 315

Do you think Bulaga is better suited at Right Tackle in the NFL?

SuperKevin
11-19-2009, 02:29 PM

No. Bulaga is a left tackle all the way

Babylon
11-19-2009, 02:44 PM
What's your guys thoughts on Gabe Carimi?

He's huge and moves very well. If he stays he's probably the best OT next year assuming Bulaga and Davis come out. My only issue with Carimi would be to add some upper muscle but to me that isnt going to be a problem. If he comes out and works out well i could easily see him going somewhere in the later part of round 1 and he'd be a steal early round 2.

RaiderNation
11-19-2009, 02:51 PM

He can play both I think. He is a poo mans Jake Long IMO, better at run blocking, but still highly skilled at pass protecting. Kind of want him in Oakland since I think he can play both LT and RT.

dex
11-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Okung about to play tonite vs UC.

Future Detroit Lion.

iowatreat54
11-19-2009, 06:52 PM
He can play both I think. He is a poo mans Jake Long IMO, better at run blocking, but still highly skilled at pass protecting. Kind of want him in Oakland since I think he can play both LT and RT.

I don't think old man Al will be taking another Iowa tackle anytime soon.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't think old man Al will be taking another Iowa tackle anytime soon.

What if he thinks it's the exact same one?

Paranoidmoonduck
11-19-2009, 07:31 PM
What if he thinks it's the exact same one?

Bulaga doesn't look like a Metallica roadie. I don't think there's much risk of that happening.

ToldLikeItIs
11-19-2009, 10:20 PM
I could see him absolutely skyrocketed up draft boards after his interview, the same goes for Pat Angerer.

RaiderNation
11-19-2009, 11:32 PM
How did Okung look tonight

RaiderNation
11-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Does anybody think Mike Iupati can play OT? At 6'6 330lbs hes a big dude who is great a OG, but maybe a team thinks he can be like Branden Albert?

Babylon
11-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Does anybody think Mike Iupati can play OT? At 6'6 330lbs hes a big dude who is great a OG, but maybe a team thinks ]he can be like Branden Albert?

Jury is out whether he can play tackle either. Not a fan of moving guys.

dex
11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
How did Okung look tonight

I thought he had a solid outing, it must be their system but i saw on alot of running plays he would skip the 1st level (d-line) and go to block a backer.

I thought he held his own through out the game with some solid punches.

I'd love him as a Detroit Lion.

Babylon
11-23-2009, 04:50 PM
I thought he had a solid outing, it must be their system but i saw on alot of running plays he would skip the 1st level (d-line) and go to block a backer.

I thought he held his own through out the game with some solid punches.

I'd love him as a Detroit Lion.

I like him too, as for the Lions i wouldnt pass on Suh or McCoy to draft Okung.

Ozzy
11-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Gabe Carimi JR OT Wisconsin
6-8 313

Holy crap that kid played well against Northwestern. Wish he went up against Wootten more but still he flat out dominated in the run game and was very solid in pass protection. Absolutely moved the defensive player he was blocking completely out of the way. Very impressive and in a way he is easily better than Bryan Bulaga at times, I have not seen Bulaga dominate like that in a game yet.

Babylon
11-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Gabe Carimi JR OT Wisconsin
6-8 313

Holy crap that kid played well against Northwestern. Wish he went up against Wootten more but still he flat out dominated in the run game and was very solid in pass protection. Absolutely moved the defensive player he was blocking completely out of the way. Very impressive and in a way he is easily better than Bryan Bulaga at times, I have not seen Bulaga dominate like that in a game yet.

He'd probably be the top OT next year if Bulaga and Davis declare (he might be regardless). I guess you have to weigh top 5 money as opposed to coming out this year and being a late 1st or early second. Probably the same situation that faced Eben Britton last year and he slipped to the second round.

Babylon
11-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Russell Okung reminds me of Levi Brown.

ThePudge
11-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Russell Okung reminds me of Levi Brown.

Elaborate. Brown was much more thickly built, where Okung is a bit longer and leaner. Just want to know how you would analyze similarities and differeneces. Russell has played well today, and despite the Oklahoma defense's strong performance, I haven't seen Gerald McCoy in the backfield much. Keep in mind he's getting double teamed, even triple teamed at times.

Babylon
11-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Elaborate. Brown was much more thickly built, where Okung is a bit longer and leaner. Just want to know how you would analyze similarities and differeneces. Russell has played well today, and despite the Oklahoma defense's strong performance, I haven't seen Gerald McCoy in the backfield much. Keep in mind he's getting double teamed, even triple teamed at times.

Yeah McCoy is quiet, he gets the center crashing down on him most of the time.

Okung doesnt look especially fluid to me not sure if he's all that strong either. Reminds me of Levi Brown in those areas, Brown was a 5th pick so there is nothing wrong with ending up there but not sure there is much seperation in the Offensive Tackles this year to be honest.

draftguru151
11-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Jason Fox missed the game against USF with an irregular heartbeat. Hasn't been any other news on the situation though.

SenorGato
12-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Yeah McCoy is quiet, he gets the center crashing down on him most of the time.

Okung doesnt look especially fluid to me not sure if he's all that strong either. Reminds me of Levi Brown in those areas, Brown was a 5th pick so there is nothing wrong with ending up there but not sure there is much seperation in the Offensive Tackles this year to be honest.

+1

Okung may go high, but I don't consider this class to have someone in the class of D'Brick, Thomas, Smith, or Long's class. I don't even think anyone is better than I thought Albert and Monroe were.

I do think an OL will go high out of necessity by someone, but no one in this class really "wows" me in any specific area. Bulaga is an excellent run blocker, but his pass blocking is raw and his stock has dropped from best tacklez ever...etc.

W/e...theres still an offseason to change that.

Thumper
12-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Anthony Davis is the top tackle in the class, he has all the talent in the world and he has the skill set of Jason Peters, Shawn Andrews, Andre Smith etc. etc. but unfortunately like the previously mentioned players he has motivation and weight issues. But IMO he is by far the most naturally talented player at 6'5" 330 pounds with very quick feet and great technique. Davis could play LT, LG, RG or RT and be a pro-bowler at any spot. He should IMO go top 10.

JFLO
12-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Anthony Davis is the top tackle in the class, he has all the talent in the world and he has the skill set of Jason Peters, Shawn Andrews, Andre Smith etc. etc. but unfortunately like the previously mentioned players he has motivation and weight issues. But IMO he is by far the most naturally talented player at 6'5" 330 pounds with very quick feet and great technique. Davis could play LT, LG, RG or RT and be a pro-bowler at any spot. He should IMO go top 10.

I still like Okung more but Davis is now my #2 over Bulaga, Campbell and Brown. A lot of people are starting to talk about LSU's Joseph Barksdale. He's been playing right tackle extremely well all season long for the Tigers and some are projecting him to be a late 1st rounder-early 2nd rounder if he were to declare. He definitely has the athleticism and footwork to play LT in the NFL, he'll probably just need more technique work conditioning.

TACKLE
12-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Has anyone got to watch much of Marcus Cannon from TCU. He's a guy Im really intrigued by as of late.

mancl
12-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Anthony Castonzo a junior from Boston College was mentioned as a possible top pick if he were to enter the draft in a recent article - said he needs work in weight room but has pass protection skills. This is the first time I saw his name- anyone tell me more about him?

Thanks

grushcow
12-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Nate Solder, Colorado, converted tight end. 6'8" 300, thoughts?

JFLO
12-20-2009, 07:38 AM
Did anyone catch how Anthony Davis did last night against UCF?

From the score and the highlights it looked like he did pretty good for his stock.

Hurricanes25
12-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Did anyone catch how Anthony Davis did last night against UCF?

From the score and the highlights it looked like he did pretty good for his stock.

He definately helped his stock last night and and he is expected to declare for the draft sometime in the near future.

Babylon
12-20-2009, 11:35 AM
He definately helped his stock last night and and he is expected to declare for the draft sometime in the near future.

I didnt see the game but wondered how he looked. Seems a pretty safe pick in a rather average (i think) offensive tackle group.

Hurricanes25
12-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I didnt see the game but wondered how he looked. Seems a pretty safe pick in a rather average (i think) offensive tackle group.

I didn't see the whole game but the parts that I did see, Davis was very good. Davis has improved each game this year which I would imagine coaches like. Right now he is still probabaly the 2nd best draft eligible OT behind Okunk but Davis has a much higher upside than him. I would not be suprised come April, that Davis will be the #1 OT on many draft boards.

JFLO
12-20-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm starting to like Davis more and more with the material I read on him and the occasional game footage.

There are the obvious questions of conditioning and character concerns, but that didn't stop Andre Smith last year, did it.

I'm not sure if I like Davis more than I did Andre Smith last year, but it's not by that much. Davis, like Smith, seems to just have a natural ability to kick slide and protect the quarterback at a very good level.

I'm not sure if I like him more than Okung at the moment, but he is a definite Top 10 selection and may have the best potential of any lineman in the class.

scottyboy
12-20-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure where these "character concerns" are coming from. I mean, he was over-weight for one start of season, but idk. I mean, Kenny Britt's one big ass diva tearing apart the Titans right? these damn Scarlet Knights and their character concerns.

Davis played well last night. He knew it was national stage(kinda) and his last game. He was pulling like a mofo, great nimble feet. His workouts should sky rocket him though. His size and speed(?, not really speed but agility) are a rare combo

princefielder28
01-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Can anyone tell me anything other than what I can find on the internet about Eastern Kentucky's Derek Hardman??? Based off of what I've seen and read he seems to be quite the intriguing prospect.

Hines
01-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Now that the deadline has passed, here are my top tackles:

1) Anthony Davis
2) Russell Okung
3) Bryan Bulaga
4) Bruce Campbell
5) Trent Williams
6) Charles Brown
7) Jason Fox
8) Vladimir Ducasse
9) Kyle Calloway
10) Selvish Capers

Top 6 has potential to go in the first round. Wow.

2011 draft could be awesome too.

J-Mike88
01-16-2010, 09:28 AM

1) Anthony Davis
2) Russell Okung
3) Bryan Bulaga
4) Bruce Campbell
5) Trent Williams
6) Charles Brown
7) Jason Fox
8) Vladimir Ducasse
9) Kyle Calloway
10) Selvish Capers

Does anyone here think that big Vlad has a chance to build enough momentum to climb into the end of round one?

ThePudge
01-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Does anyone here think that big Vlad has a chance to build enough momentum to climb into the end of round one?

Yes there a quite a few here who think that, and even a couple that think the Top 15 is a possibility. Personally, I expect Ducasse to go in the Late First-Early Second.

DiG
01-16-2010, 11:38 AM

1) Anthony Davis
2) Russell Okung
3) Bryan Bulaga
4) Bruce Campbell
5) Trent Williams
6) Charles Brown
7) Jason Fox
8) Vladimir Ducasse
9) Kyle Calloway
10) Selvish Capers

personally i think your a bit high on fox and capers. tony washington and ed veldheer are some small school guys that i think are every bit as promising and more consistent than fox or capers.

ChiefMojo
01-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I would go at this moment....

1) Okung
2) Bulaga
3) Davis

DT35
01-23-2010, 03:28 PM
The general idea is that Bulaga will be a right tackle at the next level, correct?

Babylon
01-23-2010, 03:30 PM
The general idea is that Bulaga will be a right tackle at the next level, correct?

No. He's been a LT from what i've seen and has very good feet. He might be more of a drive blocker but like a Jake Long will have no trouble playing on the left side.

DT35
01-23-2010, 03:48 PM
No. He's been a LT from what i've seen and has very good feet. He might be more of a drive blocker but like a Jake Long will have no trouble playing on the left side.

I've always believed he was a Left Tackle, but I've seen a lot of people call him a Right Tackle and that's thrown me off. Thanks though.