PDA

View Full Version : NFL opened investigations against the Redskins

Gay Ork Wang
05-24-2009, 06:29 AM
NFL conducts Haynesworth tampering probe

The NFL has formally opened an investigation into charges by the Tennessee Titans that the Washington Redskins tampered with defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth(notes) before the start of free agency in February, according to two sources with knowledge of the situation.

The NFL has interviewed at least two people associated with the situation after the Titans complained to the league in April that the Redskins contacted Haynesworth and agent Chad Speck before the start of free agency on Feb. 27.

Haynesworth signed a seven-year, $100 million contract with the Redskins which includes $41 million guaranteed.

If it’s proved that the Redskins contacted Haynesworth too early, the team could lose a draft pick. In the 2008 draft, San Francisco lost a fifth-round pick after the league found that the 49ers had tampered with Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs during the 2007 season when San Francisco was pondering a trade for Briggs.

As for Haynesworth, the Titans have claimed that their efforts to negotiate with Haynesworth after the 2008 season were hindered by tampering.

Speck and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to comment on the situation.

I think the Redskins will actually lose a draft pick.

Addict
05-24-2009, 06:47 AM
I think the Redskins will actually lose a draft pick.

might be a higher one than 5 too... not that Snyder would care, he got his player

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-24-2009, 07:25 AM
Don't bet on it.

Haynesworth and Skins 2nd year OU WR Malcolm Kelly have the same agent, which would make the charge of tampering between the Skins FO and sports agent Chad Speck IMO very difficult to prove.

Conflict of interest, maybe, but hey, that's business in the NFL.

I don't know why the Titans have their panties all in a bunch, they had forever to re-sign Big Al, and instead chose to wait until the beginning of the free agency period.

Bad move.

And it's not like the Titans were gonna offer Haynesworth $40 mil guaranteed, so what's the beef?

Unless someone on the inside of this deal, (Dan Snyder, Cerrato, Speck, or Haynesworth), tells a different story than the one already in the media, Big Al and our 2010 1st round pick aren't going anywhere.

HTTR

Gay Ork Wang
05-24-2009, 08:17 AM
i dont think the titans have their panties all in a bunch, they just want to get something out of it.

JFLO
05-24-2009, 08:17 AM
I hope they lose a draft pick, mainly because I don't like Daniel Snyder or Albert Haynesworth.

OzTitan
05-24-2009, 08:23 AM
The theory is, if Albert was told of the offer he would receive from the Skins before free agency started, then the Titans and their lower offer stood no chance of enticing him to resign before free agency, as opposed to the next-to-no-chace it would have had anyway. I get the feeling the Titans are just giving it a shake to see what falls out, as I never really believed they were that keen on resigning Albert.

Still though, tampering is not allowed and, if it's proven, consequences should be felt. I doubt it would be anything like a 1st though. Maybe a 3rd or something.

toddmlazarchick
05-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Boo freaking whooo Titans. Unless someone was at the dinner taping the conversation then nothing will become of it. As stated above Albert and Malcolm have the same agent. It isnt our fault you waited to resign him and got outbid by MULTIPLE teams. Tampa Bay offered him the exact same contract. News flash....all 32 teams tamper. Its laughable if you think you are gonna get a 3rd round pick out of this. As far as the Snyder hate, you dont like him because he spends his OWN money from his OWN pocket to bring talent to this team. Whether it was spent wisely or idiotically depends on the situation but Id rather an owner then spends his money to try to fill needs instead of other owners that are so cheap they squeak when they walk.

Matthew Jones
05-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Tampering runs rampant in the NFL. Just look at that deal. Do you really think all of the specifics of a massive contract like that would get figured out ten minutes after the start of free agency?

Gay Ork Wang
05-24-2009, 01:26 PM
its fun to see how 2 redskins fans suddenly appear and bash on the titans. i wonder why

toddmlazarchick
05-24-2009, 01:58 PM
its fun to see how 2 redskins fans suddenly appear and bash on the titans. i wonder why

Because of the stupid comments made.

One Titan fan thinks he is getting a 3rd round pick of this....

One Vikings fan just plain hates Dan Snyder and Albert Haynesworth...

And one Bears fan who actually thinks something will become of this....

The Titans had TWO YEARS to extend Albert and never did. Sorry if the best DT IN THE NFL is on my team in his prime and we have a 2 year window to resign him BEFORE anyone else has a chance and we dont then we are idiots. They have no one to be mad at but themselves.

Like i stated unless there is someone who sat there and recorded the conversation this is going nowhere. You would need Snyder to come out and say he tampered, or Haynesworth's agent, or someone in the FO of the Redskins to say something. None of those 3 things are happening. IMO the Titans should give us a draft pick if they are proven wrong. Perhaps a 3rd rounder as well. (Lets see how much crap that mixes up)

Gay Ork Wang
05-24-2009, 02:03 PM
yes, but u bashing the titans for trying is really funny and not biased at all and was all triggered by us...

the fact that u signed him to such a contract merely 10 minutes, i think everyone knows that they contacted him before.

why shouldnt the titans take a chance and get a draft pick if the chances are there that they could get one?

CC.SD
05-24-2009, 02:09 PM

The Titans had TWO YEARS to extend Albert and never did. Sorry if the best DT IN THE NFL is on my team in his prime and we have a 2 year window to resign him BEFORE anyone else has a chance and we dont then we are idiots. They have no one to be mad at but themselves.

Like i stated unless there is someone who sat there and recorded the conversation this is going nowhere. You would need Snyder to come out and say he tampered, or Haynesworth's agent, or someone in the FO of the Redskins to say something. None of those 3 things are happening. IMO the Titans should give us a draft pick if they are proven wrong. Perhaps a 3rd rounder as well. (Lets see how much crap that mixes up)

Oh I see, now that Haynesworth is a Redskin he is the best DT in the NFL? Why so angry and eager to pounce?
I have to admit I'm just riling up a clownshoes troll.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Let's say that Albert Haynesworth is arguably the best DT in the NFL. He definitely is the best defensive player on the Skins roster and more than likely the best interior lineman they've ever had.

I'm not bashing the Titans at all, I just never got the feeling they were going to re-sign him to crazy money like Snyder was willing to pony up.

Big Al makes our journeymen DEs legit pass rushers, and his mere presence inside collapsing the pocket is the reason why I believe Orakpo should be on the short list for DROTY.

Besides, the Titans do a great job of drafting and developing DLineman. They'll initially feel the loss of Haynesworth, but he plays a position the Titans usually do well at filling in players.

BTW, waiting until FA to let the market set the price for a franchise type player is bad strategy, and why I think the Titans never intended to re-sign him in the first place.

If the SKins get busted on this move, I would literally have a heart attack!!

HTTR

EDIT: Don't spread false rumors, people. Big Al was signed by Washington 5 hours after the beginning of the FA period, not 10 minutes.

If the SKins had signed Haynesworth at 12:10 AM, that would be very compelling, although not definitive, circumstantial evidence to suggest there was tampering.

brat316
05-24-2009, 03:23 PM
I think he ends up getting injured on the Skins.

With the Titans they rotated him like crazy, to keep him fresh and not get worn out right away. He gets tired fast.

With all the money the Skins have in him, I think they end up playing him more then he is used to, leading to injuries, or half-assed play.

toddmlazarchick
05-24-2009, 03:34 PM
I think he ends up getting injured on the Skins.

With the Titans they rotated him like crazy, to keep him fresh and not get worn out right away. He gets tired fast.

With all the money the Skins have in him, I think they end up playing him more then he is used to, leading to injuries, or half-assed play.

I think Cornelius Griffin, Anthony Montgomery, Kedric Golston, Lorenzo Alexander and Phillip Daniels (moving inside to DT on 3rd downs like he did the year before his injury) disagree with you. There are plenty of people that will be rotating in and out.

toddmlazarchick
05-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Oh I see, now that Haynesworth is a Redskin he is the best DT in the NFL? Why so angry and eager to pounce?

Absolutely not he was the best DT in the game the past 2 year with the Titans. Try some other way to add to the discussion instead of putting words in peoples mouths.

toddmlazarchick
05-24-2009, 03:40 PM
yes, but u bashing the titans for trying is really funny and not biased at all and was all triggered by us...

the fact that u signed him to such a contract merely 10 minutes, i think everyone knows that they contacted him before.

why shouldnt the titans take a chance and get a draft pick if the chances are there that they could get one?

Never bashed them, you must read what you like and ignore other parts. I said its pointless. There is no proof. I provided you what would be needed to prove they tampered and none of that is happening. So what do you have to say about the Buccaneers? They offered Albert the SAME contract and he pick the Redskins. They must have been within the first 10 minutes of FA since you like to see we signed him at 12:10.

CC.SD
05-24-2009, 04:39 PM

Absolutely not he was the best DT in the game the past 2 year with the Titans. Try some other way to add to the discussion instead of putting words in peoples mouths.

What words did anyone put in your mouth, you said he was the best DT in the NFL and I quoted it. Why so hostile? Give life a smile! :D

This discussion is totally meaningless, I have no problem not adding to it. Whatever slap on the wrist they give Snyder will be inconsequential and another example of Goodell throwing a dart at a board to determine the NFL's disciplinary policy.

TitanHope
05-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Here's our thread in the Titans forum: http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33942

Probably the juciest piece of evidence that's been in the media:

Rock Cartwright admitted in a radio interview that...

"I kind of had an idea they were going to sign [Haynesworth] anyways," Cartwright said. "One of my teammates said they had the same agent and ... he said they had been talking."

Radio interview: http://www.stationcaster.com/player.php?s=...427&f=22081 (http://www.stationcaster.com/player.php?s=65&c=427&f=22081)

Article link: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/03/11/redskin...m-tampered-wit/ (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/03/11/redskins-player-mightve-admitted-team-tampered-wit/)

The Titans are getting a 3rd RD compensatory pick thanks to Washington signing Haynesworth, so we're getting something in return. This isn't the Titans being spiteful or anything like that. They weren't going to pay him what he wanted, and someone else would. That was a foregone realization it seems. But, Jeff Fisher and GM Mike Reinfeldt are opportunistic. If the 'Skins were stupid enough to tamper, then why wouldn't the Titans ask for an investigation? Also, I wouldn't think a probe would've been initiated unless the Titans thought they had a good shot at success - they've filed and have won tampering investigations in the past.

DoughBoy
05-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Conflict of interest, maybe, but hey, that's business in the NFL.

I don't know why the Titans have their panties all in a bunch, they had forever to re-sign Big Al, and instead chose to wait until the beginning of the free agency period.

Bad move.

Jeff fishers History with free agents says other wise. If you go back and look at The titans FA that were let go not due to cap casualty only John Runyan is the only one to make a probowl or due anything with another team. Haynesworth is super overrated to begin with.

brat316
05-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Big Al makes our journeymen DEs legit pass rushers, and his mere presence inside collapsing the pocket is the reason why I believe Orakpo should be on the short list for DROTY.

Orakpo won't touch DROTY from the SAM spot. Move him to DE and he will.

TitanHope
05-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Jeff fishers History with free agents says other wise. If you go back and look at The titans FA that were let go not due to cap casualty only John Runyan is the only one to make a probowl or due anything with another team. Haynesworth is super overrated to begin with.

I don't think he's that over-rated. He's the best DT in the NFL, in my opinion. It's just that I don't think he'll be utilized as effectively as he was in Tennessee. As Toddmlazarchick said, there are players to rotate him with, but at $100-million, they'll force him to play more because they have so much money invested in him. Hopefully the Washington coaches exercise wisdom, as it's no skin off my back for Fat Al to do well in the NFC and I hold no grudge against him leaving.

Gay Ork Wang
05-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Never bashed them, you must read what you like and ignore other parts. I said its pointless. There is no proof. I provided you what would be needed to prove they tampered and none of that is happening. So what do you have to say about the Buccaneers? They offered Albert the SAME contract and he pick the Redskins. They must have been within the first 10 minutes of FA since you like to see we signed him at 12:10.
Boo freaking whooo Titans.
how else am i supposed to interpret that <.<

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Orakpo won't touch DROTY from the SAM spot. Move him to DE and he will.

Not to digress, but the SAM in Greg Blache's defensive scheme plays a lot like an OLB in a 3-4.
Blache has already stated that Rak will be rushing the QB 75% of the time, so the opportunity to put up some decent sack numbers will be there.

And most Skins fans are very aware of that Rock(head!!) Cartwright radio quote.
Still if two players share the same agent, that's going to be a tough case to prove, that his agent was specifically talking to the Skins about signing Big Al, unless Malcolm Kelly and Haynesworth tell a different story than Snyder and Chad Speck.

Does anyone have an idea how long it will take the NFL Office to rule on a tampering investigation?

I hope it's over before the preseason starts because it's already becoming something of a minor distraction.

the decider13
05-24-2009, 07:50 PM

Do you know what a compensatory pick is? They will be getting a third no matter what comes of this tampering charge.

critesy
05-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Do you know what a compensatory pick is? They will be getting a third no matter what comes of this tampering charge.

the person who he was reffering to was talking about tampering not compensatory.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-24-2009, 08:19 PM

Haynesworth was an UFA.

He's free and clear to whatever team signs him.

Apparently, one of us needs to read up NFL contract rules.

TitanHope
05-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Not to digress, but the SAM in Greg Blache's defensive scheme plays a lot like an OLB in a 3-4.
Blache has already stated that Rak will be rushing the QB 75% of the time, so the opportunity to put up some decent sack numbers will be there.

And most Skins fans are very aware of that Rock(head!!) Cartwright radio quote.
Still if two players share the same agent, that's going to be a tough case to prove, that his agent was specifically talking to the Skins about signing Big Al, unless Malcolm Kelly and Haynesworth tell a different story than Snyder and Chad Speck.

Does anyone have an idea how long it will take the NFL Office to rule on a tampering investigation?

I hope it's over before the preseason starts because it's already becoming something of a minor distraction.

The Skins running a Zone-Blitz similar to that of the Giants?

No clue on how long it'll take or how much access the NFL will be given to Redskins/Speck's records and such. As far as the Cartwright quote, I think it's fairly damaging considering it's a person inside the organization stating it.

I think it'll really depend on how hard Goodell wants to hit the tampering thing. I know it's been a hot topic at Owners meetings and such, and Goodell has said he's wanted to curb tampering. Whether or not he'll make an example out of the Skins like he did player conduct with PacMan or SpyGate with the Patriots remains to be seen.

CC.SD
05-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Eery down Orakpo spends as a LB is a complete waste. Just one passing down spent in coverage is too many.

OzTitan
05-24-2009, 08:32 PM

How did the 49ers get pinged regarding Briggs? I doubt it was recorded conversation.

Sorry, but the Titans not signing him when they had the chance has 0.0 relevance to tampering charges.

And FYI, I didn't say the Titans will get a 3rd from this, I said if they get anything, I "doubt it would be anything like a 1st though. Maybe a 3rd or something". Lrn2read.

the decider13
05-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Haynesworth was an UFA.

You can't contact a player before the start of free agency, he is still under contract. That is the whole point.

I understood the titans fan as talking about a compensatory selection, which they will get.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-24-2009, 08:34 PM
You do realize CC.SD that Merriman was primarily a DE at Maryland?

EDIT: Gotta be honest, as a Skins fan, losing ANY picks on a sloppy deal would really suck for next year, (still don't think it will happen), but the Danny won't sweat a drop so long as he gets to keep his 1st rounder in 2010.

05-24-2009, 08:36 PM

SD plays the 3-4, it's not even comparable.

toddmlazarchick
05-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Here's our thread in the Titans forum: http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33942

Probably the juciest piece of evidence that's been in the media:

Rock Cartwright admitted in a radio interview that...

Radio interview: http://www.stationcaster.com/player.php?s=...427&f=22081 (http://www.stationcaster.com/player.php?s=65&c=427&f=22081)

Article link: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/03/11/redskin...m-tampered-wit/ (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/03/11/redskins-player-mightve-admitted-team-tampered-wit/)

The Titans are getting a 3rd RD compensatory pick thanks to Washington signing Haynesworth, so we're getting something in return. This isn't the Titans being spiteful or anything like that. They weren't going to pay him what he wanted, and someone else would. That was a foregone realization it seems. But, Jeff Fisher and GM Mike Reinfeldt are opportunistic. If the 'Skins were stupid enough to tamper, then why wouldn't the Titans ask for an investigation? Also, I wouldn't think a probe would've been initiated unless the Titans thought they had a good shot at success - they've filed and have won tampering investigations in the past.

So Cartwright's comment was directly related to Snyder sharing his FA plans with our 3rd string RB and not in anyway related to the past spending trends from Dan Snyder? Please tell me how its not the Titans being sour about not being able to compete with the Redskins in resigning him. You say if we were stupid enough to tamper? What evidence do you have that it happened? The Rock comment? If you say that we signed him so early then you are just throwing comments out there and hoping they stick because Tampa Bay offered him the same contract and he turned theirs down for ours.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-24-2009, 08:46 PM
The SAM in Blache's 4-3 and the OLB in a 3-4 are almost the same position, especially on passing downs, when one of the DEs slides inside and a DT comes off the field.
As long as Rak can give a decent effort in coverage, no one is expecting to get INTs, he can focus his effort on getting to the QB.

toddmlazarchick
05-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Haynesworth is super overrated to begin with.

Since he is no longer a Titan

toddmlazarchick
05-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Eery down Orakpo spends as a LB is a complete waste. Just one passing down spent in coverage is too many.

Thats where you have no knowledge of the topic. His job is not to cover its to rush.

toddmlazarchick
05-24-2009, 08:53 PM
How did the 49ers get pinged regarding Briggs? I doubt it was recorded conversation.

Sorry, but the Titans not signing him when they had the chance has 0.0 relevance to tampering charges.

And FYI, I didn't say the Titans will get a 3rd from this, I said if they get anything, I "doubt it would be anything like a 1st though. Maybe a 3rd or something". Lrn2read.

Then tell me how you can prove that they were not talk about Malcolm Kelly who shares the same agent?

You didnt say anything about a 3rd? and you are telling me to learn to read? check the bold pal.

OzTitan
05-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Then tell me how you can prove that they were not talk about Malcolm Kelly who shares the same agent?

You didnt say anything about a 3rd? and you are telling me to learn to read? check the bold pal.

The same way they proved the 49ers tampered with Briggs? The fact they share the same agent doesn't mean there aren't other ways. I'm not saying it will happen, but it's certainly possible. The NFL wouldn't open it up if there was no chance of a case.

No, I said I didn't say the Titans WILL get a 3rd from this. I inferred, IF there is something coming from this, it will probably be a 3rd or similiar. That's twice you've misread it now. I never said I believe the Titans are getting a 3rd from this as to suggest I'm confident the Redskins will be found guilty, just IF the Redskins are found guilty that's probably around what the penalty will be, which is far from "stupid" because realistically, if found guilty, it could quite easily be all the way up to the 1st rounder due to Albert's status and the possibility of the Redskins being made an example of. It's unprecedented, really.

TitanHope
05-24-2009, 09:27 PM
So Cartwright's comment was directly related to Snyder sharing his FA plans with our 3rd string RB and not in anyway related to the past spending trends from Dan Snyder?

What the hell are you going on about?

Cartwright stated that his teammate shares the same agent as Haynesworth, and that said player stated that the Redskins and his agent had been talking about Haynesworth.

No one said a thing about Snyder or GM Vinny Cerrato specifically.

Please tell me how its not the Titans being sour about not being able to compete with the Redskins in resigning him.

Because the Titans have better things to do than to pout about the Redskins. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the case for most NFL teams. As I said before, they're getting a 3rd RD comp pick from losing AH in FA, and it's not like it's an AFC team that picked him up.

Also, the Titans could've competed with Washington and Tampa's offers - they just chose not to. If the Titans wanted to have kept AH, they would have. They had more than enough cap space to have re-signed him at that price, and AH had spent his entire career in Tennessee, including college at UT.

You say if we were stupid enough to tamper? What evidence do you have that it happened? The Rock comment?

You're just being difficult now. I said if they were stupid enough to tamper. As of yet, we don't have all of the evidence. It's not as if I'm sitting here going, "OMG! They done did it! We all know they done it! Now they got caught!" Stop talking to me like I am, or else I'll act just as ignorant as you are in thinking there's no way anything negative about my team can come to fruition.

If you say that we signed him so early then you are just throwing comments out there and hoping they stick because Tampa Bay offered him the same contract and he turned theirs down for ours.

Tampa Bay probably tampered as well. After all, in your own words, "News flash....all 32 teams tamper." :rollseyes:

toddmlazarchick
05-24-2009, 09:47 PM
The same way they proved the 49ers tampered with Briggs? The fact they share the same agent doesn't mean there aren't other ways. I'm not saying it will happen, but it's certainly possible. The NFL wouldn't open it up if there was no chance of a case.

No, I said I didn't say the Titans WILL get a 3rd from this. I inferred, IF there is something coming from this, it will probably be a 3rd or similiar. That's twice you've misread it now. I never said I believe the Titans are getting a 3rd from this as to suggest I'm confident the Redskins will be found guilty, just IF the Redskins are found guilty that's probably around what the penalty will be, which is far from "stupid" because realistically, if found guilty, it could quite easily be all the way up to the 1st rounder due to Albert's status and the possibility of the Redskins being made an example of. It's unprecedented, really.

so IF their would be some way to prove the Redskins tampered what makes you think it should be any worse then what the 49ers had to give up? You think it could be a first rounder? Please dont kid yourself. His status has nothing to do with it. Lance Briggs isn't a top LB?

toddmlazarchick
05-24-2009, 09:56 PM
You're just being difficult now. I said if they were stupid enough to tamper. As of yet, we don't have all of the evidence. It's not as if I'm sitting here going, "OMG! They done did it! We all know they done it! Now they got caught!" Stop talking to me like I am, or else I'll act just as ignorant as you are in thinking there's no way anything negative about my team can come to fruition.

Tampa Bay probably tampered as well. After all, in your own words, "News flash....all 32 teams tamper." :rollseyes:

Since i said anything related to nothing my team does can go wrong. There is no evidence to support that they tampered. If there was significant evidence then i would be bitching how stupid my team was for doing such and losing draft picks. but when you come on a read other naive people saying that the Titans should get a 3rd if we did tamper or a first because its Albert Haynesworth and he is an elite player which happens to be coming from the same person calling him overrated, its stupid.

As far as my comment that all 32 teams tampered, according to the rule it would be wrong for an owner or FO person to mention another FAs name to his agent before the deadline would be tampering i take it. if thats the case then to say that NO NFL team does that is bs. If someone would have a deal worked out before the deadline and allowing other teams to bid for them, to me is what tampering is and what is wrong.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-24-2009, 10:10 PM
If this whole case hinges on testimony from Malcolm Kelly and especially Cartwright, don't be surprised to see Rock walking the pavement looking for a new gig if this whole situation gets turned upside down.

I wonder how hard Goodell can squeeze an individual player in a tampering investigation?

Can Goodell suspend a player for lying...I guess there's no reason he couldn't.

What an awful way for Kelly to start his 2nd year for the Skins. HE would go from being almost loved to becoming a pariah, a man without a team.

Rookie lips sink WRs to the bottom of the depth chart.

OzTitan
05-24-2009, 11:42 PM
so IF their would be some way to prove the Redskins tampered what makes you think it should be any worse then what the 49ers had to give up? You think it could be a first rounder? Please dont kid yourself. His status has nothing to do with it. Lance Briggs isn't a top LB?

Status was a poorly chosen word. "Outcome", then - what he got paid and the fact he actually wound up on the tampering team (if it's proven) in this case, which Briggs didn't. That's a pretty big difference.

As I said, it's unprecedented. Not one case study to go off that's really close to it. Who knows what the hell could come out of it - it could be just about anything. This is the same commish who made an example out of Pacman basically for how the media kept portraying him, fairly or not - he certainly didn't suspend him indefinitely for anything he actually got convicted of in the court of law. I don't think any pick is out of the question at this point - it really depends on how much of a hard ass Goodell wants to be if it can be proven.

OzTitan
05-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Since i said anything related to nothing my team does can go wrong. There is no evidence to support that they tampered.

How do you know?

If there was significant evidence then i would be bitching how stupid my team was for doing such and losing draft picks. but when you come on a read other naive people saying that the Titans should get a 3rd if we did tamper or a first because its Albert Haynesworth and he is an elite player which happens to be coming from the same person calling him overrated, its stupid.

/me bangs head on desk repeatedly

I sure hope you're not refering to me, because not only did I not call him overrated, but if I haven't made it clear by now I haven't stated an opinion on what the Titans SHOULD get but rather have simply pointed out what they might or will PROBABLY get, I give up.

TitanHope
05-24-2009, 11:58 PM
If this whole case hinges on testimony from Malcolm Kelly and especially Cartwright, don't be surprised to see Rock walking the pavement looking for a new gig if this whole situation gets turned upside down.

I wonder how hard Goodell can squeeze an individual player in a tampering investigation?

Can Goodell suspend a player for lying...I guess there's no reason he couldn't.

What an awful way for Kelly to start his 2nd year for the Skins. HE would go from being almost loved to becoming a pariah, a man without a team.

Rookie lips sink WRs to the bottom of the depth chart.

Squeeze Kelly or Cartwright, or even the agent Chad Speck. If players could be suspended, couldn't Speck's agent status in the NFL be revoked?

I'd rather something happen to the agent than Kelly or Cartwright. It wouldn't be fair to the players.

Here's an article on Goodell wanting to crack down on tampering:

Goodell Wants Rule on Free Agent Tampering to Be Enforced
By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 14, 2008; Page E07

In a proposal to crack down on cheating, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell wants the league's competition committee to look not only at the large infractions but the comparatively minor violations as well.

One mostly overlooked aspect of Goodell's directives to the committee, sent in a two-page memo last week, is a passage in which he instructs committee members to review all of the league's competitive rules, including those that prohibit contact between teams and players under contract to other clubs.

Many in the league believe that rule, part of the NFL's anti-tampering provisions, is almost universally ignored in the weeks leading up to the annual opening of the free agent market -- when, they say, agents routinely line up prospective deals for their clients with new teams. It is generally viewed, it appears, as a no-harm, no-foul arrangement. But Atlanta Falcons President Rich McKay, the co-chairman of the competition committee, said this week that the issue very well could be addressed as part of Goodell's ordered crackdown.

"I don't know that it's viewed as a problem" by many within the league, McKay said in a telephone interview. "But that doesn't mean we should leave the rule as it is. You don't want to have a rule that is not enforced. You want a rule that can be and is enforced."

Under anti-tampering rules, a player eligible for free agency is supposed to negotiate only with his most recent team until the opening of the free agent market, when he is permitted to begin negotiating with any team. But in practice, said several agents and front-office executives from NFL teams who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they didn't want to implicate themselves or their clients, many agents go to the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis before the opening of free agency to begin negotiating with new teams on behalf of clients eligible for free agency. Those deals cannot become official until the opening of the free agent market and sometimes fall through, according to the agents and executives, but many translate into signed contracts.

By unofficial count, 32 NFL players agreed to or signed contracts with teams on Feb. 29, the opening day of free agency this year. Last year, that unofficial count was 24 players.

"It's just how business is done by much of the league, or most of the league," one agent said. "No one really seems to object."

Goodell apparently does.

"I also believe that the Committee should do a thorough review of our competitive rules and policies to ensure that they are current, appropriate, and well-understood by all clubs," the commissioner wrote in his memo to the competition committee. "As possible examples, the Committee may want to consider revising the Anti-Tampering Policy, or the crowd noise rules, both of which have been the subject of discussion in recent years."

An executive from one team said a possible solution would be to create a window of a week or two before free agency in which a player could negotiate with all teams. But an executive from another team said, "No matter where you put the date, there are going to be some people who try to get the jump before everyone else."

McKay declined to provide specifics about what the competition committee might propose.

"At this point, I'll leave it to you to speculate what those changes might be," McKay said.

The tampering rules also cover contact between teams and coaches under contract to other clubs. The issue is just one of the smaller items addressed in Goodell's memo. Goodell also wrote that the league might have teams make "greater use of neutral physician exams" when it comes to decisions about placing players on the season-ending injured reserve list. He wrote that the committee "may wish to consider how the 'equity rule' will apply to cases in which a team loses the use of its communication systems during a game."

Under current rules, a team is not required to shut down its coach-to-quarterback communication system during a game just because the opponent's system is malfunctioning; it only is required to shut down all its communication systems if all its opponent's systems, including those from the press box to the sideline, are not operational. That has produced occasional accusations about a visiting team's coach-to-quarterback system being jammed or otherwise sabotaged during games for competitive gain. Goodell seems to be suggesting that the rule perhaps should be changed so that when one team loses its coach-to-quarterback system, the opponent must shut its system down as well.

Most of the attention generated by Goodell's memo has stemmed from his proposals to address the major issues connected to the New England Patriots being punished for illegally videotaping the play signals of New York Jets coaches in the opening game of the 2007 season. In the memo, Goodell proposed changes that include the continuation of a program of unannounced inspections of locker rooms, stadium press boxes and in-game communication equipment; a lowering of the standard necessary for the commissioner to impose penalties; and a requirement that teams report all violations and submit annual signed certifications that they complied with the rules and reported all infractions.

Some of Goodell's measures, such as his endorsement of a previous proposal to connect one defensive player per team to a coach on the sideline via a wireless communication device during games, require approval of three-fourths of the league's owners. Others perhaps could be enacted by Goodell without approval, and it is expected that there would be little or no opposition to any measures that Goodell deems necessary to protect the integrity of the sport.

"Certainly the commissioner's wishes carry a lot of weight," New York Giants co-owner John Mara, a member of the competition committee, said last week.

But Goodell is seeking input.

"He is just asking us to look at ways we can improve the game and how we might be able to better enforce our rules," said Mara, whose team beat the previously undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Competition committee members began what's scheduled to be a weeklong set of meetings Wednesday in Naples, Fla., and McKay said the committee will devote "as many hours as it takes" to emerge with a set of recommendations for owners, who will meet beginning March 30 in Palm Beach, Fla., at the annual league meeting. McKay said that the competition committee should have enough time to address the smaller issues raised by Goodell as well as the larger ones.

"We address these issues every year in our surveys to the teams," McKay said. "We review a lot of these items. I think it would be something we could address at the league meeting."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/13/AR2008031304158.html

CC.SD
05-25-2009, 12:00 AM

EDIT: Gotta be honest, as a Skins fan, losing ANY picks on a sloppy deal would really suck for next year, (still don't think it will happen), but the Danny won't sweat a drop so long as he gets to keep his 1st rounder in 2010.

Oh my goodness, are you serious? Please, tell me more about Merriman. Tell me more about the differences between the 4-3 and 3-4.

I'm completely familiar with what the Skins plans are for Orakpo, and if you think NFL OC's aren't going to find a way to take advantage of him whenever he lines up at LB you're living in a dreamworld.

Orakpo is a born DE. If they stick him at SAM, they will either have to blitz the SAM every down, or drop him into coverage on occasion, which will be unfortunate. I believe clownshoes Todd said something along the lines of me not knowing what I'm talking about...it's a fact that even blitzing LBs have areas of the field they're responsible for either in the running game, or they are expected to cover a man. This is clearly not the most ideal use of Orakpo's skillset.

Haynesworth was an UFA.

And it's you. Of course the Titans will get a 3rd round comp pick out of Haynseworth walking away and signing a monster contract.

CC.SD
05-25-2009, 12:59 AM
/\ Came across pretty grumpy. I've had a long night.

7-11
05-25-2009, 01:19 AM

That could not possibly have less to do with a single post in this thread. Like, at all.

The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

See that fact? It actually had more to do with this thread than your post. Congrats.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-25-2009, 04:26 AM
Of course the Titans will get a 3rd round comp pick out of Haynseworth walking away and signing a monster contract.

You're assuming they get pinched by Goodell for tampering, CC.

There's nothing that leads me to believe this will be the final outcome, however, I 'm sure the burden of proof for the NFL is much less than it would be in a criminal court proceeding.

That could not possibly have less to do with a single post in this thread. Like, at all.

See that fact? It actually had more to do with this thread than your post. Congrats.

If you had read the entire thread, mate, you would see it does have a tangential relevance to the convo. The signing of Haynesworth makes the transition to SAM that much easier for Orakpo.

No need to crack back if you don't know what you're talking about.

G'day.

Why are there so many snarky guys on SWDC?
Yall need to chill OUT!!!

OzTitan
05-25-2009, 05:21 AM
Says the poster who just used Australian-isms derogatorily because of the poster's location?

TitanHope
05-25-2009, 05:27 AM
Says the poster who just used Australian-isms derogatorily because of the poster's location?

Look on the bright side Oz! He could've told him to go have a Foster's (It's Australian for BEER!!!). :D

Stranger
05-25-2009, 05:41 AM

Compensatory picks have nothing to do with tampering. They are given out based on net loss/gain of players via free agency

7-11
05-25-2009, 05:59 AM

There's nothing that leads me to believe this will be the final outcome, however, I 'm sure the burden of proof for the NFL is much less than it would be in a criminal court proceeding.

If you had read the entire thread, mate, you would see it does have a tangential relevance to the convo. The signing of Haynesworth makes the transition to SAM that much easier for Orakpo.

G'day.

I did read the whole thread...and your comment about Merriman still has nothing to do with anything mentioned. Yes Merriman was an end in college, he also went to a team that primarily asks him to rush the passer, and when they did ask him to drop into coverage his impact was not nearly as great. So what you were saying is because Merriman did this, keeping in mind he is probably one of the biggest physical freaks in the NFL, you want Orakpo to play SAM in a 4-3 where it is obvious that he will have to fall into coverage atleast occasionally? (and yes i am aware he will be rushing the passer a lot, but still, i think most would agree he is taylor made to be an end). But yes, who am i to speak, i'm from Australia, a place not dissimilar to Rand McNally, where they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people.

And if you don't like it here...well, you know.

Addict
05-25-2009, 06:23 AM
I did read the whole thread...and your comment about Merriman still has nothing to do with anything mentioned. Yes Merriman was an end in college, he also went to a team that primarily asks him to rush the passer, and when they did ask him to drop into coverage his impact was not nearly as great. So what you were saying is because Merriman did this, keeping in mind he is probably one of the biggest physical freaks in the NFL, you want Orakpo to play SAM in a 4-3 where it is obvious that he will have to fall into coverage atleast occasionally? (and yes i am aware he will be rushing the passer a lot, but still, i think most would agree he is taylor made to be an end). But yes, who am i to speak, i'm from Australia, a place not dissimilar to Rand McNally, where they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people.

And if you don't like it here...well, you know.

it's relevant position wise, like if you were to go into the colts forum and discussed brady. Because, you know, they play QB so it's über relevant.

Also I think it's funny to see Parrish_lemar make underhanded, below the belt-type remarks in every thread, but when someone makes a sarcastic comment or critisizes one of his posts he starts complaining like a little girl.

7-11
05-25-2009, 06:28 AM
it's relevant position wise, like if you were to go into the colts forum and discussed brady. Because, you know, they play QB so it's über relevant.

Also I think it's funny to see Parrish_lemar make underhanded, below the belt-type remarks in every thread, but when someone makes a sarcastic comment or critisizes one of his posts he starts complaining like a little girl.

We all just need to stop being so snarky, cause you know, parrish_lemar said so.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-25-2009, 07:20 AM

"If you had read the entire thread, mate, you would see it does have a tangential relevance to the convo." pl24DBSkins

Definition of the word tangential; incidental, indirectly related.

Obviously this thread isn't about whether Orakpo should be an OLB or DE, my point was that the presence of Haynesworth makes Rak's transition to a standup edge rusher on certain downs easier.
And if Merriman and Demarcus Ware could make the transition, I don't see why Orakpo couldn't or shouldn't be allowed to try, since it would fill a huge need for the Skins.

To say that my post had nothing to do with a conversation about whether the Skins illegally contacted Big Al, I think, is wrong. That's all.

7-11 acted like it was a total non sequitor, but if you work a little it's not hard to connect the dots, was my only point about Orakpo and Merriman.

Back to the topic at hand.

Stranger, (and whoever else made the same point earlier), I thought you meant the SKins would have to GIVE UP a compensatory pick to the Titans for signing Haynesworth, even if it's found there was no tampering.

You're absolutely right, based on how the league calculates these things, the Titans will probably be awarded an additional comp pick by the NFL, but not directly from the Skins.

My mistake.

Was calling 7-11 'mate' or ending with g'day a little bitchy? Maybe.
( No serious offense intended, btw)

About the same as 7-11 saying a discussion about the plastic tips at the end of shoelaces is more related to the thread topic than my mentioning that the presence of Big Al makes the transition to OLB easier for Rak, one he should have a good shot at making because other similar hybrid college DEs have successfully made the switch.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-25-2009, 07:48 AM

Have I complained to you once about anything, Addict?

I've never come at anyone first with attitude or hostility in any post on this forum.
Check the post order, Addict. It was 7-11 who got this thing started, not me.

DO unto others and all that, yeah, I know it may sound corny to you Addict, but I kinda believe in that type of stuff.

I welcome criticism, especially when I'm wrong, or someone has a different take on something that makes more sense. That process is called 'learning'.

Leading leads to 'knowledge'.
Knowledge leads to 'enlightment'.

The reason I'm here is to raise my overall football IQ, ( because someone always has a take on something that you've never thought of before), and talk 24/7 about my favorite sport, no more, no less.

But don't expect to rip on someone mercilessly and not have them respond in kind.

Enough hijacking this thread with personal stuff....

Haynesworth and Snyder will be exonerated by Goodell.

Orakpo will tally at least 8 sacks next season.

The SKins will challenge the Giants for the best defense in the NFC East.

703SKINS202
05-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Donk posts. I'm sure we tampered and whatever penalty we get probably won't be stiff enough to make Snyder care. As a skins fan, I just look at it as losing a 4th round pick or so and Snyder not being able to trade it for TJ Duckett with some accelerator clause. Jesus Christ.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Donk posts.

Whatever. You guys can play with this thread a while longer.

It's pointless.

Gay Ork Wang
05-25-2009, 08:52 AM
someone have a tissue for this guy? i think he might actually cry

TitanHope
05-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Enough with the teasing and condescending remarks guys. No need for drama, unless it's for why we American football.

Anyway, I just saw on ESPN that Haynesworth will be interviewed by NFL officials this coming week.

Also glad we got the comp pick thing understood. Some were on two complete different pages on that, but it made for some great reading at 4 AM! :D

jsagan77
05-25-2009, 09:13 AM
What is the exact rules on tampering? I thought owners were allowed to talk to agents but they weren't allowed to contact the player directly. I didn't think there were any rules about talking to other players agent because there's a very good chance that agent services another player on said team. If Danny was talking to Malcolm Kelly's agent and the topic of Haynesworth came up there is absolutely no way to prove it, is there?

IMO this is going to be an uphill battle for the Titans but I wouldn't doubt the league takes a pick just because the perception of tampering is there. Goodell will probably try to make an example out of the situation and screw the Skins out of a pick but what can you do...?

TitanHope
05-25-2009, 09:38 AM
What is the exact rules on tampering? I thought owners were allowed to talk to agents but they weren't allowed to contact the player directly. I didn't think there were any rules about talking to other players agent because there's a very good chance that agent services another player on said team. If Danny was talking to Malcolm Kelly's agent and the topic of Haynesworth came up there is absolutely no way to prove it, is there?

IMO this is going to be an uphill battle for the Titans but I wouldn't doubt the league takes a pick just because the perception of tampering is there. Goodell will probably try to make an example out of the situation and screw the Skins out of a pick but what can you do...?

Honestly, Speck could've called the 'Skins up and said, "Hey, Albert wants to play for ya'll," and it wouldn't be tampering. The tampering would begin when Wash. calls back asking, "Really? We'd love to have him in D.C.!" The agent can reach out, just not the organization.

I got this off a Titan board that OzTitan and I frequent, and he delved into this earlier in the thread:

This is the tampering policy:

TAMPERING AND FREE AGENCY
Definition
The term tampering, as used within the National Football League, refers to any interference by a member club with the employer-employee relationship of another club or any attempt by a club to impermissibly induce a person to seek employment with that club or with the NFL.

Purpose
The purpose of the NFL Anti-Tampering Policy, as it applies to tampering with players, is to protect member clubs’ contract and negotiating rights, and, at the same time, to allow the intra-League competitive systems devised for the acquisition and retention of player talent (e.g., college draft, waiver system, free-agent rules under an operative collective bargaining agreement) to operate efficiently. As the Policy applies to tampering with non-players, its purpose is to strike a balance between protecting the rights and maintaining the organizational stability of employer clubs, and providing realistic advancement opportunities for employees if other clubs desire their services.

NFL Anti-Tampering Policy 4
Anti-Tampering Policy applies during that period of the year (before the start of the free-agency period in mid-February) and that tampering violations may be based upon contacts with players at or in connection with the Pro Bowl, including when:
1. Club executives in attendance engage in private conversations or meetings with a player or players under contract to another club; or
2. Club executives directly or indirectly instruct or encourage conversations or meetings involving their own players and players under contract to other organizations that can reasonably be interpreted as designed to express the club’s interest in acquiring the services of such other player(s).

Non-Players
No club, nor any person employed by or otherwise affiliated with a club, is permitted to tamper with a non-player employee of another club. Unless otherwise provided for in this Policy, no club may request permission to discuss employment with a non-player, non-coach employee of another club, whether or not that employee is under contract, during the employer club’s playing season, defined as the period from the opening of preseason training camp through the club’s final game of the season, including postseason if applicable. (See the language under “Head Coaches” and “Assistant Coaches” below that prohibits all in-season discussions or dealings concerning coaches.) Except for Head Coaches and High-Level Club Employees (club presidents, general managers, and persons with equivalent responsibility and authority), clubs are not permitted to exchange draft choices or cash for the release of individuals who are under contract to another organization. If a club employs an individual who has been terminated by another organization, which is entitled to an offset for compensation owed to its former employee, the terms of the employee’s new contract must provide that the employee is paid an annual salary in each year of the contract which is reasonable for that employee in light of his experience, the services he will be performing, and the League’s average salary for employees in similar positions. In addition to providing an overall compensation which is reasonable, the new club must also ensure that any increases which are granted to the employee in contract years subsequent to the fermination of the prior club’s obligations are also reasonable. In the event o a dispute, final determination will be made by the Commissioner.

– NFL

As to what Oz was gettin' at:

7. TORTUOUS INTERFERENCE WITH CONTRACT

In order to establish a claim for Tortuous Interference with Contract, six elements must usually be established:

A valid existing contract;
That defendant had knowledge of;
That defendant intended to induce breach of;
That the contract was in fact breached or performance was rendered more difficult;
Causation; and
Actual damage.

Essentially, what Tortuous Interference in the NFL would be is affecting the signability of a player. The Titans held the right to re-sign their talent without interference, and if Washington was telling Speck that they'll pay big money, they violated the Titans rights.

As for proving it, we don't know. We don't know if this is an image thing which Goodell wants to make an example out of. We don't know if this is just the NFL going through the motions. That will greatly influence the outcome. In my opinion, if Goodell is wanting to use this to make a statement to the NFL, the Redskins are screwed and precedents could be set - Anything from fines, to the Skins having to forfeit portions of Haynesworth jersey sales, to giving Draft picks to the Titans, to facing regulatory sanctions in future FA periods, to who knows. If it's just going through the motions, then I'm not holding my breath as a Titans fan.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-25-2009, 10:19 AM

I'll be the first to admit that every thread you go in, people seem to go right against the grain on you. Although i don't agree with what you say some of the time (Asomogha discussion in particular), people seem to take a negative response type to continue the discussion. I agree that many people on here are very snarky and seem to like to team up (strength in numbers?). It is kind of sad actually, knowing that if people just posted like cival people rather than trying to pick on someone, that there could actually be a good discussion going on, rather than it coming off as a bunch of people whining and pointing fingers.

Getting lost in this discussion through all this, is that nothing has actually been determined yet and that people are accusing others of jumping to conclusions. The NFL wouldn't look into this and make it public if they didn't see something that caught their eye. Goodell wanting to take a strong stance on the NFL tampering situation certainly factors in as well.

We do not know all the details. We are not in a position that allows us to know all the details. There is very little, if any, chance that anything will be in paper that can be held against the Redskins, so it will have to be verbal evidence that shows them guilty. Given the people involved, and their current relationship to the Washington Redskins (players, agents, management), they all have something to lose if they get caught speaking out (if they haven't already). However, people do get caught in these situations, so it will be interesting what comes of it.

I don't know how they determine the pick compensation if found guilty, so i certainly won't comment on that.

Orakpo will be rushing the passer, that is obvious. If the OLB position is an area of need, why can't they have him stand up occasionally and rush the passer? Assuming he shows he can do it, they can certainly mix that in. For all we know, he can excel at that position (in the 4-3 it is highly unlikely, that is not a conversion done often). It certainly seems a long shot, but he can mix in there. Having him drop into coverage occasionally is something that will happen, but saying it will happen doesn't mean it will be frequent, so don't jump all over it.

The Titans doing this doesn't mean they are whining or anything liek that, and people on here saying they should just leave it alone are being ignorant. If they think something went on, with a guy with as much hype and attention as Big Albert, signing a HUGE contract for Dan Synder of all people, you have to realize this is a business and that the Titans would be stupid if they didn't try to obtain something from the situation. They lost their best defender and got nothing, so if you can get something, why not? They'd be stupid to just say 'Ah well, what's done is done, lets let this one slide'. They may or they may not, but it doesn't cost them anything.

They weren't going to re-sign him, but that isn't the point. The point is they can get something for nothing, and regardless of what the situation is, you try to get that something......

the decider13
05-25-2009, 10:24 AM

G'day.

YAY someone still doesn't know what a compensatory pick is!!

There were no tampering charges against the bears, yet they got a comp pick for Bernard Berrian. Interesting.

CC.SD
05-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Nothing needs to get proven for the Titans to pick up a high comp pick. They're awarded based on a super secret formula which factors in UFAs let go, UFAs brought in, and the salaries of both.

DoughBoy
05-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Since he is no longer a Titan

I said it when he was a Titan. He is a special pass rusher and is def. one of the top DT in the leauge. But he is not this brute agianst the run that the media hypes him up to be. He chases no one but the QB and he is not this consistant game changer week in and out. He wil see about 55% of the snaps a game and is a lock to miss between 2-4 games a season. Great player and I wish he were still a Titan but he isnt the sole awnser for the redskins and if you think he is going to be as good there as he was here his history and the titans history says otherwise.

TitanHope
05-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Nothing needs to get proven for the Titans to pick up a high comp pick. They're awarded based on a super secret formula which factors in UFAs let go, UFAs brought in, and the salaries of both.

This, and Jeff Fisher gave Goodell a super awesome mustache ride.

Fish...always takin' one for the team!

CC.SD
05-25-2009, 01:45 PM
This, and Jeff Fisher gave Goodell a super awesome mustache ride.

Fish...always takin' one for the team!

Goodell wore his frowny face the whole time to maintain the facade of impartiality.

mmm bbq time.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Truth be told, Big Albert strikes me as one of those guys that once he gets his big paycheck is going to slump down to the 'average' category.....

jsagan77
05-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Good info. This is going to really tough for the league to prove considering there is just a bunch of hearsay. Its going to be interesting to see what they come up with regardless of the end result, IMO..

Honestly, Speck could've called the 'Skins up and said, "Hey, Albert wants to play for ya'll," and it wouldn't be tampering. The tampering would begin when Wash. calls back asking, "Really? We'd love to have him in D.C.!" The agent can reach out, just not the organization.

I got this off a Titan board that OzTitan and I frequent, and he delved into this earlier in the thread:

This is the tampering policy:

TAMPERING AND FREE AGENCY
Definition
The term tampering, as used within the National Football League, refers to any interference by a member club with the employer-employee relationship of another club or any attempt by a club to impermissibly induce a person to seek employment with that club or with the NFL.

Purpose
The purpose of the NFL Anti-Tampering Policy, as it applies to tampering with players, is to protect member clubs’ contract and negotiating rights, and, at the same time, to allow the intra-League competitive systems devised for the acquisition and retention of player talent (e.g., college draft, waiver system, free-agent rules under an operative collective bargaining agreement) to operate efficiently. As the Policy applies to tampering with non-players, its purpose is to strike a balance between protecting the rights and maintaining the organizational stability of employer clubs, and providing realistic advancement opportunities for employees if other clubs desire their services.

NFL Anti-Tampering Policy 4
Anti-Tampering Policy applies during that period of the year (before the start of the free-agency period in mid-February) and that tampering violations may be based upon contacts with players at or in connection with the Pro Bowl, including when:
1. Club executives in attendance engage in private conversations or meetings with a player or players under contract to another club; or
2. Club executives directly or indirectly instruct or encourage conversations or meetings involving their own players and players under contract to other organizations that can reasonably be interpreted as designed to express the club’s interest in acquiring the services of such other player(s).

Non-Players
No club, nor any person employed by or otherwise affiliated with a club, is permitted to tamper with a non-player employee of another club. Unless otherwise provided for in this Policy, no club may request permission to discuss employment with a non-player, non-coach employee of another club, whether or not that employee is under contract, during the employer club’s playing season, defined as the period from the opening of preseason training camp through the club’s final game of the season, including postseason if applicable. (See the language under “Head Coaches” and “Assistant Coaches” below that prohibits all in-season discussions or dealings concerning coaches.) Except for Head Coaches and High-Level Club Employees (club presidents, general managers, and persons with equivalent responsibility and authority), clubs are not permitted to exchange draft choices or cash for the release of individuals who are under contract to another organization. If a club employs an individual who has been terminated by another organization, which is entitled to an offset for compensation owed to its former employee, the terms of the employee’s new contract must provide that the employee is paid an annual salary in each year of the contract which is reasonable for that employee in light of his experience, the services he will be performing, and the League’s average salary for employees in similar positions. In addition to providing an overall compensation which is reasonable, the new club must also ensure that any increases which are granted to the employee in contract years subsequent to the fermination of the prior club’s obligations are also reasonable. In the event o a dispute, final determination will be made by the Commissioner.

– NFL

As to what Oz was gettin' at:

7. TORTUOUS INTERFERENCE WITH CONTRACT

In order to establish a claim for Tortuous Interference with Contract, six elements must usually be established:

A valid existing contract;
That defendant had knowledge of;
That defendant intended to induce breach of;
That the contract was in fact breached or performance was rendered more difficult;
Causation; and
Actual damage.

Essentially, what Tortuous Interference in the NFL would be is affecting the signability of a player. The Titans held the right to re-sign their talent without interference, and if Washington was telling Speck that they'll pay big money, they violated the Titans rights.

As for proving it, we don't know. We don't know if this is an image thing which Goodell wants to make an example out of. We don't know if this is just the NFL going through the motions. That will greatly influence the outcome. In my opinion, if Goodell is wanting to use this to make a statement to the NFL, the Redskins are screwed and precedents could be set - Anything from fines, to the Skins having to forfeit portions of Haynesworth jersey sales, to giving Draft picks to the Titans, to facing regulatory sanctions in future FA periods, to who knows. If it's just going through the motions, then I'm not holding my breath as a Titans fan.

LizardState
05-25-2009, 05:00 PM
The Skins tend toward FAs instead of draft picks, that's why they usually have <7 on draft day. The ones they do have are pissed away on bad choices anyway.

They might lose a 5th rounder, bfd. I think that's what the 9ers were penalized for tampering with Briggs. Hell yes the whole league tampers

LizardState
05-25-2009, 05:01 PM

More wombat-bashing, shameful.....:rolleyes:

Ethnic slur Memorial Day jk --> Those Native American Redskins didn't know just how the Aussies were offended by naming a team after their beloved wombats..... Kind of like using the name "abo" in front of black Aussies, or "redskins" on a Native American reservation. :-)

toddmlazarchick
05-25-2009, 05:26 PM
I said it when he was a Titan. He is a special pass rusher and is def. one of the top DT in the leauge. But he is not this brute agianst the run that the media hypes him up to be. He chases no one but the QB and he is not this consistant game changer week in and out. He wil see about 55% of the snaps a game and is a lock to miss between 2-4 games a season. Great player and I wish he were still a Titan but he isnt the sole awnser for the redskins and if you think he is going to be as good there as he was here his history and the titans history says otherwise.

Crap well I guess no one should ever be picked from the Titans because Jeff Fisher and company know all. Dude please. To say that Haynesworth will be less of a player in DC because of the history of players leaving Tennessee is pulling arguments out of your ass and hoping they stick. I have articles from your own players stating the Albert not only brings his game with him but also makes others around him much better. Thats adding to the #4 ranked defense last year.

Truth be told, Big Albert strikes me as one of those guys that once he gets his big paycheck is going to slump down to the 'average' category.....

If you read some of his interviews you wouldnt think so.

The Skins tend toward FAs instead of draft picks, that's why they usually have <7 on draft day. The ones they do have are pissed away on bad choices anyway.

They might lose a 5th rounder, bfd. I think that's what the 9ers were penalized for tampering with Briggs. Hell yes the whole league tampers

Sean Taylor, Chris Cooley, LaRon Landry, Chris Horton, Rocky McIntosh, Chris Samuels, Jon Jansen, Anthony Montgomery, Carlos Rogers.....thanks for the unintelligent comment

the decider13
05-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Sean Taylor, Chris Cooley, LaRon Landry, Chris Horton, Rocky McIntosh, Chris Samuels, Jon Jansen, Anthony Montgomery, Carlos Rogers.....thanks for the unintelligent comment

Jason Cambell, Patrick Ramsey, Lavar Arrington, Ron Gardner, Kenard Lang, Michael Westbrook.

Although you guys picked champ, so that does excuse everything.

LizardState
05-25-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmlazarchick ---------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jason Campbell, Patrick Ramsey, Lavar Arrington, Ron Gardner, Kenard Lang, Michael Westbrook.

Unintelligent, my Crimson Tide ass. I have a Master's degree, do you?

Sean Taylor -- RIP -- I'll give you, Landry was a find true but no Taylor reincarnated, Cooley a young player & a work in progress, the rest has-beens & never-wases. Note that the "good" Skins draft picks were in the top 5, like Samuels from my school & why didn't you mention Lavar Arrington picked next from him? Lot of busts in DC. Kudos to thedecider's post above post ^^^^^ he forgot to mention Heath Schuler though.

And I admit I was a big Arrington & Westbrook fan, heartbreaking busts, both of them.

Didn't dispute that Snyder has have the FA addiction disease, has any team signed more offseason FAs?...... yes, funny you should ask, I'm a Dallas fan. Loved Joe Gibbs though, both times, one of the last highly moral HCs in the NFL who actually won SB games.

Still sticking with my original prediction here, the Skins will have a 4th or 5th rounder removed, that's a wrist slap.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-25-2009, 05:55 PM
If you read some of his interviews you wouldnt think so.

Pretty sure i would still think so....Would him telling me he's 'going to fulfill his contact' change my thought process? Does he sound like he's ready to go? Lets be serious, he just got a monster contract, he better at least sounds motivated, and damn well better play it. However, take the length of his contract, devide by 2, and hope you get that many years of motivated play.

I never said it is a lock, and you can argue either way. I'm just saying, that is what i'm thinking. Take it or leave it. Words mean nothing.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Sean Taylor -- RIP -- I'll give you, Landry was a find true but no Taylor reincarnated, Cooley a young player & a work in progress, the rest has-beens & never-wases. Note that the "good" Skins draft picks were in the top 5, like Samuels from my school & why didn't you mention Lavar Arrington picked next from him? Lot of busts in DC.

Didn't dispute that Snyder has have the FA addiction disease, has any team signed more offseason FAs?...... yes, funny you should ask, I'm a Dallas fan.

Depends on your definition of a bust i guess. I'd say he listed a bunch of good player. However, putting Jansen in is going back a decent length of time, as he is no pup. Lots of teams could make a list if that is what your going at. How long has Samuels been in the league too?

I would disagree though, as Landry, Cooley, Taylor, and Rogers are (were) highly rated players at their positions. MacIntosh is solid when healthy, and Horton is a good player, and even better when considering his draft position.

I don't agree with either of you fully to be honest and think it is a not so great arguement on either side....

703SKINS202
05-25-2009, 06:53 PM

Sean Taylor -- RIP -- I'll give you, Landry was a find true but no Taylor reincarnated, Cooley a young player & a work in progress, the rest has-beens & never-wases. Note that the "good" Skins draft picks were in the top 5, like Samuels from my school & why didn't you mention Lavar Arrington picked next from him? Lot of busts in DC. Kudos to thedecider's post above post ^^^^^ And I admit I was a big Arrington & Westbrook fan, heartbreaking busts, both of them.

Didn't dispute that Snyder has have the FA addiction disease, has any team signed more offseason FAs?...... yes, funny you should ask, I'm a Dallas fan. Loved Joe Gibbs though, both times, one of the last highly moral HCs in the NFL who actually won SB games.

Still sticking with my original prediction here, the Skins will have a 4th or 5th rounder removed, that's a wrist slap.

Cooley a work in progress? This thread should be locked it's not even about Haynesworth anymore and the worst that will happen is a loss of a late round pick which Snyder obviously doesn't give a **** about.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Honestly, after the 3rd round, the Skins FO is throwing darts blindfolded at their board to find players.

Except for Chris Horton, ( Vinny had an inside tip on him from a UCLA DB coach), and Montgomery, the players listed by toddmlazarchick were either top 10-12 picks in the 1st round, or 2nd and 3rd round picks.

As a SKins fan, I don't like putting the franchise's dirt out there in public, but come on, we suck at the draft(!!), and until the Danny stops picking players, pissing away picks and brings in a real GM, the SB will be one long flashback from the 80s.

EDIT: Decider13's list was even worse - all 1st rounders.

It takes real talent to fail on players in the first.

DoughBoy
05-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Crap well I guess no one should ever be picked from the Titans because Jeff Fisher and company know all. Dude please. To say that Haynesworth will be less of a player in DC because of the history of players leaving Tennessee is pulling arguments out of your ass and hoping they stick. I have articles from your own players stating the Albert not only brings his game with him but also makes others around him much better. Thats adding to the #4 ranked defense last year.

If he plays better there than he did in Tennessee I will eat my own socks (I will have pictures) and convert to a Lions fan. No way, no how. And yes Jeff Fisher Knows more than your **** for brains owner.

OzTitan
05-26-2009, 12:30 AM

The thing about Albert was he wasn't a playoff player. He never once made it 16 games without being dinged up, and once he gets dinged up, he's not the same player. He seems to dial it back big time.

Look at the Ravens game - he was a non factor in every sense. He made no significant impact really, and yet that wasn't the reason why the Titans lost. He may as well have not been there. So he's almost always going to be a much lesser player by January, and the Titans don't pay players like that.

toddmlazarchick
05-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Jason Cambell, Patrick Ramsey, Lavar Arrington, Ron Gardner, Kenard Lang, Michael Westbrook.

Although you guys picked champ, so that does excuse everything.

I forgot the Redskins are the ONLY team to never have a draft pick work out as planned. I never said we never had busts but to say we do a horrible job with the picks we have/had is asinine.

toddmlazarchick
05-26-2009, 12:15 PM

Sean Taylor -- RIP -- I'll give you, Landry was a find true but no Taylor reincarnated, Cooley a young player & a work in progress, the rest has-beens & never-wases. Note that the "good" Skins draft picks were in the top 5, like Samuels from my school & why didn't you mention Lavar Arrington picked next from him? Lot of busts in DC. Kudos to thedecider's post above post ^^^^^ And I admit I was a big Arrington & Westbrook fan, heartbreaking busts, both of them.

Please you dont want to start comparing my education...

Landry was never supposed to be another Sean Taylor, no one will ever be. Cooley a work in progress? Are you serious? Thats just plain Cowboy bias. Not to mention the fact that your very own Dallas coach was the one who met with Cooley before his draft and told him he was planning on drafting him in or around the 7th round for ST purposes only. Boy am I glad you guys were spot on with that one! Chris Samuels a never was? Its hard to even take you serious. You sure didnt learn a damn thing with that degree did you? Please dont make me dig up the ever increasing list of Dallas Cowboys 2nd round picks. A round where you should find a starter/good depth for your team. What a joke!

toddmlazarchick
05-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Pretty sure i would still think so....Would him telling me he's 'going to fulfill his contact' change my thought process? Does he sound like he's ready to go? Lets be serious, he just got a monster contract, he better at least sounds motivated, and damn well better play it. However, take the length of his contract, devide by 2, and hope you get that many years of motivated play.

I never said it is a lock, and you can argue either way. I'm just saying, that is what i'm thinking. Take it or leave it. Words mean nothing.

He will only be playing 4 years of the contract. 4 years and 40 million.

toddmlazarchick
05-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Cooley a work in progress? This thread should be locked it's not even about Haynesworth anymore and the worst that will happen is a loss of a late round pick which Snyder obviously doesn't give a **** about.

He is a Dallas fan. Do you expect him to have any intelligent opinion on any team in the league. He has the Dallas blinders on its evident. It must be nice to have won the Super Bowl like the Cowboys did last year since they were a lock for winning it all no contest....oh wait!

bsaza2358
05-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Well, in order to lose a pick, there has to be clear evidence of tampering. Fact is that all of the teams use back channels to get the players in and signed on day 1. Otherwise, how can you explain guys like Kearse, Samuel, Haynesworth, Stacy Andrews, etc. knowing which team to go visit on Day 1 of FA, then signing a big deal that day? I doubt Washington did anything out of the ordinary. The Titans were never going to spend the money to keep AH, but they're being whiny about it regardless.

TitanHope
05-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Otherwise, how can you explain guys like Kearse, Samuel, Haynesworth, Stacy Andrews, etc. knowing which team to go visit on Day 1 of FA, then signing a big deal that day? I doubt Washington did anything out of the ordinary. The Titans were never going to spend the money to keep AH, but they're being whiny about it regardless.

When did "whiny" and "smart" become synonymous, bsaza?

It's called having a back bone and seizing an opportunity. The guaranteed money the Titans were offering was 35 million, and Washington gave him 41 million. Its a 6 million difference.

Facts are...if Washington tampered then they ******* tampered. Not a little bit tampered. Not "Well, who cares cuz he probably wasn't staying in Tennessee." Not "Well, everyone does it, so the Titans should just deal with it." Pats fans excused the Pats video taping the Jets signals because "everyone else does it too." They still forfeited a 1st RD pick for it.

BTW, Haynesworth didn't even take a visit to Washington until after he agreed in principle.

bsaza2358
05-26-2009, 01:42 PM
I didn't say the Titans didn't make a good move by letting AH go.

I also didn't say that Washington wasn't guilty or shouldn't be punished.

My point was that the proof needed to enforce a draft pick penalty would likely be difficult to come by (fact). I then went on to say that the practice is commonplace (fact). To restate an earlier point, most of these "in principle" situations are from back channel negotiations where the player knows he is signing a pre-set deal when he goes to visit (fact).

The Titans could have gotten Haynesworth locked up to a long term deal anytime in the 18-22 months prior to when he left. Their contract offer was made intentionally lower than the Redskins to ensure that AH left and they looked like they placed second in the sweepstakes. They didn't want to pay him and expected to lose him. Some friends of mine who are Titans fans state that Adams is cheap. I have no idea whether that is true, but the Titans knew for sure that AH was going to the highest bidder, and they didn't raise their offer once Washington's came in.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-26-2009, 04:06 PM
He will only be playing 4 years of the contract. 4 years and 40 million.

Hmm, I wanted to not over do it, but maybe divide even that length of time by, oh, lets say 2.5......or just take the beginning amount, and divide by 4 and get a nice round number!!!

My point is, don't take the actual number i gave as a physics equation, i was really just saying that don't expect to get long-term effort out of him. Only time will tell, and obviously this isn't fact, i'm just throwing it out there.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-26-2009, 04:21 PM
At his presser, Big Al said he planned on becoming the second coming of Reggie White in Green Bay and wants his career to end in Canton.

And I for one believe him!

Go Skinz!!

Sniper
05-26-2009, 04:23 PM
At his presser, Big Al said he planned on becoming the second coming of Reggie White in Green Bay and wants he career to end in Canton.

Go Skinz!!

What else would he say?

703SKINS202
05-26-2009, 04:41 PM
What else would he say?

"Guys, I'm just Albert, ok?"

TitanHope
05-26-2009, 05:02 PM
At his presser, Big Al said he planned on becoming the second coming of Reggie White in Green Bay and wants he career to end in Canton.

Go Skinz!!

Been sayin' that since college, and Reggie is why he wears #92.

I didn't say the Titans didn't make a good move by letting AH go.

I also didn't say that Washington wasn't guilty or shouldn't be punished.

I didn't mean to put those words in your mouth, and I don't think I did because I didn't question your opinion on whether it was the right choice to let him go or whether Washington was guilty - just questioning stereotypes that you were repeating. My apologies if it appeared that way.

My point was that the proof needed to enforce a draft pick penalty would likely be difficult to come by (fact). I then went on to say that the practice is commonplace (fact). To restate an earlier point, most of these "in principle" situations are from back channel negotiations where the player knows he is signing a pre-set deal when he goes to visit (fact).

Your facts are estimated guesses or theories. We don't know what the NFL knows, or the operations Washington may have used. But, I do think it unwise to try to outsmart the NFL or assume you'll be able to pull the wool over their eyes.

The Titans could have gotten Haynesworth locked up to a long term deal anytime in the 18-22 months prior to when he left. Their contract offer was made intentionally lower than the Redskins to ensure that AH left and they looked like they placed second in the sweepstakes. They didn't want to pay him and expected to lose him. Some friends of mine who are Titans fans state that Adams is cheap. I have no idea whether that is true, but the Titans knew for sure that AH was going to the highest bidder, and they didn't raise their offer once Washington's came in.

The bold statement confuses me. Could you reiterate or expound on it?

The way the contract agreement went down, it's unknown if the Titans would have matched the offer. I wouldn't have wanted them to though, as we have more re-signings I would rather have the money spent on (Keith Bulluck, Kyle Vanden Bosch, etc). As for your friends, it depends what their definition of cheap is. No, the Titans aren't FA dynamos, but they invest their money wisely. They take a more conservative approach, while other teams, such as Washington, are more liberal. It's because of that that Bud Adams and the Titans are considered cheap. I'm of the opinion that's it's just smart business, as their conservative approach has helped produce a 31-17 record over the past 3 seasons, including two playoff births. No offense intended to your friends, but they may be the type that see a player they want really badly and want the FO to do anything to get them.

toddmlazarchick
05-26-2009, 11:40 PM
What else would he say?

Its evident that you are just here to bash the guy no matter what is put forth.

CC.SD
05-27-2009, 02:46 AM

There's never just one reason for Sniper to be around. He probably also doesn't like your attitude. :D

I'd be more concerned if Al had NOT once again re-iterated his Reggie White aspirations. They're a little stale but it's all just good policy, it's 100% fan service.

Gay Ork Wang
05-27-2009, 04:04 AM
seriously though, if he just said. "im just trying to be average" would that be cool? all the good players say stuff like that.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-27-2009, 05:37 AM
I wrote that quote from Big Al at his presser because it was so over the top hype on his part.

I didn't watch every Tennesse game, but I do know the guy is inconsistent, but the difference is Big AL's talent level is so high, even when he's off his game, he going to make more of an impact than most DTs.

The SKins have a bad rep for signing high priced FAs who underperform once they put on the burgundy and gold. If he can play healthy for 16 games, I'd say it was a huge bonus for the Skins.

Addict
05-27-2009, 05:48 AM
What else would he say?

...I like big butts and I cannot lie?

toddmlazarchick
05-27-2009, 10:28 AM
The problem with our FA spending is in the past we have spent boat loads of money on players that are not elite level talent. I hated the Brandon Lloyd, Adam Archuleta and Antwaan Randle El signings. We spent WAY too much for them and they are questionable talent. IMO the Andre Carter signing worked out because he is capable of putting up good sack totals when the defense isnt focusing on just him. I hate that we still have Randle El. He makes an insane amount of money for a #3 WR and his cap his is gigantic so we cant even let him go yet. I have been saying we need to bring in some of the best FAs at their positions. My case is London Fletcher. He has been a rock for us and was one of the best MLBs in football before he came to DC and he still is.

My point is that Albert is another elite level player. I agree he has been inconsistant and his injuries are a factor for playing the whole season. But we had the #4 ranked defense without him and it is proven statistically that he makes others around him better.

OzTitan
05-27-2009, 07:36 PM
I fully expect Albert to improve the Redskins D.

I just wonder for how long. If he once again can't play his best by the time January rolls around because he's dinging up - something any truly elite player should do - then his presence won't be of much use.

toddmlazarchick
05-27-2009, 09:06 PM
I fully expect Albert to improve the Redskins D.

I just wonder for how long. If he once again can't play his best by the time January rolls around because he's dinging up - something any truly elite player should do - then his presence won't be of much use.

I think the perception that he will be forced to play more then usual is wrong. We didnt lose anyone from our DL last year and we added him and Orakpo. We will be able to keep him fresh

OzTitan
05-28-2009, 01:13 AM
I think the perception that he will be forced to play more then usual is wrong. We didnt lose anyone from our DL last year and we added him and Orakpo. We will be able to keep him fresh

My statement had nothing to do with the Redskins style - he was rotated thoroughly in Tennessee every one of his years, and he never once made it all 16 games. As it happened, some of those years was those cap killed losing seasons but when the Titans were in the playoffs or sniffing them, he was either injured or post-injury, and either one means a less impacting Haynesworth.

I believe if he had some sort of meaningful playoff impact in his career he would have been re-signed. Since he hadn't, though, it's hard to justify putting so much money into a guy who isn't living up to his paycheck when it matters most. His luck may change in Washington, but there was a pretty clear pattern forming.