PDA

View Full Version : Coaching changes fluster Manning

The Unseen
05-26-2009, 11:41 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090526/SPORTS03/905260353/Coaching+changes+fluster+Manning

It's not a situation that I'm just thrilled about,'' he said. "I think the communication has been pretty poor in my opinion. Somebody says one thing, then somebody else says another thing.
"I'm not sure everybody's on the same page in this building. I'm just trying to focus on playing quarterback well.''
Assistant head coach and receivers coach Clyde Christensen is overseeing the offense following Moore's departure while Pete Metzelaars, Mudd's assistant, has taken over full-time position duties. The team also hired interns Frank Winters and Ron Johnson to help with the offensive line and receivers, respectively.
"It's not normal not having a full coaching staff,'' Manning said. "I know we hired a couple of guys to come in, but these guys are learning. They're not offering a lot of coaching out there, I can assure you of that.''

Big deal or no?

BuddyCHRIST
05-26-2009, 11:51 AM
I didn't know Moore had retired, guess I haven't been paying attention. That's a pretty big deal, but I don't think this overall is a huge deal, they've had the same guys in place for so long that any change is going to take some getting used to. They should just let Peyton be OC.

brat316
05-26-2009, 12:09 PM
yeah its a big deal, piss poor coaching leads to bad teams. Unless they are running the exact same offense, and then Manning doesn't need any real help then its fine. But I doubt they are running the same thing.

Yatta!
05-26-2009, 12:55 PM
I really doubt Manning needs much coaching at this point. There was talk of Moore/Mudd being brought back as advisors anyway.

bsaza2358
05-26-2009, 01:04 PM
I think it's a small deal in the long run. Manning is a player, and he'll play and have success on Sundays. He just had a comfort level with Moore/Mudd that is now gone. Change is never easy, especially for a star who thinks he has earned the right to have certain routines. Let's face facts. Changing things up and getting Peyton out of his comfort zone may force him to become even better. The team is making decisions for the betterment of the franchise. It's business. Peyton will get over it and will remain a stud.

Brent
05-26-2009, 01:44 PM
They ought to let Manning call his own plays, if he didnt already.

bsaza2358
05-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Manning calls his own plays for the most part, with input from Moore and the staff. The game-planning is the coaching, with input from Manning. Peyton doesn't have the time to break down all of the film and develop the game plan/make quicker adjustments. It's not like the coaches are doing nothing. Peyton just likes having his own team that defers to him and wants to keep the status quo with his power and control. He'll get over it.

CC.SD
05-26-2009, 01:55 PM
I say hyper, you say bole:

HYPER! BOLE!

Shane P. Hallam
05-26-2009, 02:35 PM
And Caldwell helped run the offense, so it will be fine. It will blow over in two weeks or so and Manning will be the leader and all will be fine.

whatadai
05-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Why's no one talking about the offensive line? I can see injuries occurring to that line in the future and no one with the skills to be able to plug in any player and turn them into a starter as easily as before.

jkpigskin
05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
And Caldwell helped run the offense, so it will be fine. It will blow over in two weeks or so and Manning will be the leader and all will be fine.

i have to agree with this. The fact that there has been so much stability for Manning and the offense, they got spoiled and with this change come a sense of nervousness. Maybe after some little roadblocks I see Manning and Co. doing what they always do. Manning will get comfortable before we know it

CC.SD
05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Why's no one talking about the offensive line? I can see injuries occurring to that line in the future and no one with the skills to be able to plug in any player and turn them into a starter as easily as before.

Their O-line has been a little suspect for a while now, they always seem to work around it. I don't see that changing.

whatadai
05-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Their O-line has been a little suspect for a while now, they always seem to work around it. I don't see that changing.

They were always able to work around it because of Mudd.

CC.SD
05-26-2009, 02:51 PM
They were always able to work around it because of Mudd.

True enough. However every once in a while something occurs that supposedly precipiates a drop off in the Colts offense (no Edge, injuries, bad Marvin, etc.) and it never follows through. I'll believe it when I see it.

whatadai
05-26-2009, 03:02 PM
True enough. However every once in a while something occurs that supposedly precipiates a drop off in the Colts offense (no Edge, injuries, bad Marvin, etc.) and it never follows through. I'll believe it when I see it.

No Edge, they had Addai. No Marvin, they had Wayne, Clark, and Gonzalez. Manning got injured last year and played worse until he got better at the end of the season. I can see the line still doing well since Mudd coached up a few younger guys from the draft last year and they did well when they started. But a couple of injuries to the line like last year and it could hurt the Colts in the future without Mudd there to coach up some players.

tjsunstein
05-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Peyton should take the Jackie Moon role and be everything for that organization.

bsaza2358
05-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Didn't mention the OLine situation. Good points. Once that is solidified, it'll keep Peyton upright and healthier. He'll bounce back to his usual self even without Harrison. Perhaps Caldwell felt like they could benefit from different coaching, which prompted the changes.

OzTitan
05-26-2009, 07:30 PM
"They're not offering a lot of coaching out there, I can assure you of that.''

It's funny how a comment like that can be taken so differently by media and fans depending on who says it. Some players in the league, with stature not too much lower than Peyton's, would get absolutely grilled for that.

Which is probably more a comment on the overreaction sometimes seen than any particular favoritism to Manning.

whatadai
05-26-2009, 08:27 PM

It's funny how a comment like that can be taken so differently by media and fans depending on who says it. Some players in the league, with stature not too much lower than Peyton's, would get absolutely grilled for that.

Which is probably more a comment on the overreaction sometimes seen than any particular favoritism to Manning.
Well when you have one of the best QBs ever, it's difficult to find coaches that would be up to his standards in knowledge of the game. Moore and Mudd were two of the few.

tjsunstein
05-26-2009, 09:36 PM
It's tough for someone to come in and try to coach Manning after he had the same OC for how long? His whole career thus far? Not exactly an easy task. I can almost bet that Manning is coaching them more than the other way around.

Bucs_Rule
05-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Thats what happens when a player knows more than his coach does.

Staubach12
05-26-2009, 11:41 PM
I'd be flustered, too. The coaching changes are unorthodox at this point in the offseason and he's had Moore around his entire career.

CC.SD
05-27-2009, 02:43 AM
I'd be flustered, too. The coaching changes are unorthodox at this point in the offseason and he's had Moore around his entire career.

At the same time, Peyton has got to know the offense backwards by now, and he basically calls his own plays.

PLUS aren't Moore and Mudd coming back as "consultants"?

I'm not too worried about the Colts machine.

Matthew Jones
05-27-2009, 02:53 AM

He sounds like a jerk saying things like that. If this was David Garrard or Matt Schaub, two of the other QBs in the division, they'd be getting some really negative responses.

Addict
05-27-2009, 03:09 AM
I say hyper,

ok, that's cool.

you say bole:

got it, so you say hyper I'll say bole!

HYPER! BOLE!

BO-- what the hell?

CC.SD
05-27-2009, 03:11 AM
ok, that's cool.

got it, so you say hyper I'll say bole!

BO-- what the hell?

I thought about cutting it off but honestly my ego wouldn't have been able to take it if no one picked it up. :)

Addict
05-27-2009, 03:12 AM
I thought about cutting it off but honestly my ego wouldn't have been able to take it if no one picked it up. :)

which is why you have the edit button.

CC.SD
05-27-2009, 03:18 AM
which is why you have the edit button.

I never claimed I wasn't a fail.

Addict
05-27-2009, 03:35 AM
I never claimed I wasn't a fail.

how's your ego doing now?

Staubach12
05-27-2009, 02:04 PM
At the same time, Peyton has got to know the offense backwards by now, and he basically calls his own plays.

PLUS aren't Moore and Mudd coming back as "consultants"?

I'm not too worried about the Colts machine.

Oh I'm not concerned about the Colts at all. If I were the Colts, I might seriously consider hiring a few more offensive assistants but having no real OC. Manning is the OC at this point and anyone with that title is going to cause conflict.

Addict
05-27-2009, 02:36 PM
this entire debate is really a testament to how spoiled Manning (and the colts in general) have been over the last decade coaching-wise. Just realize that Alex Smith saw four times as many OC's in his first four years as Manning has in his entire career.

Continuity is extremely underrated in the NFL these days.

CC.SD
05-27-2009, 05:52 PM
this entire debate is really a testament to how spoiled Manning (and the colts in general) have been over the last decade coaching-wise. Just realize that Alex Smith saw four times as many OC's in his first four years as Manning has in his entire career.

Continuity is extremely underrated in the NFL these days.

This is interesting also because Peyton's balls are about 4 times as big as Alex Smiths as well.

Addict
05-27-2009, 05:54 PM
This is interesting also because Peyton's balls are about 4 times as big as Alex Smiths as well.

this is no time to make fun of Alex' infertility.

Splat
05-28-2009, 11:23 AM
They still have their OC his name is Peyton Manning they will be fine.

FlyingElvis
05-28-2009, 02:17 PM
I doubt the Colts have any issues. Manning works the line of scrimmage too well for this little stuff to matter. The kinks will be ironed out and the Colts will be strong, as always.

As far as other QBs getting torched by the media if they said similar things . . . it's Peyton Freakin' Manning. The only QBs in the same league as him are the immortals. Brady can say whatever he wants, Favre routinely says whatever he wants and neither take any flak.

If Schaub or Garrard said similar things they would take heat for it because they haven't earned the right to say any damn thing they please.