PDA

View Full Version : Draft Discussion - Linebacker

TACKLE
05-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Here's a wide open thread to discuss Linebackers. Post any thoughts or opinions on the LB's: your rankings, who's underrated, who's overrated, break out prospects, sleepers, best fits, etc. This is the place to break down the 2010 LB class.

underscore
05-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Sean Lee - He's coming off an ACL tear, so he's still a wildcard, but if returns to form, could be off the radar some.

Navarro Bowman - He was probably the best LB in the Big Ten last season, and will benefit from playing along side one of the LB trios in the country if Sean Lee is 100%.

JFLO
05-26-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm having a feeling Brandon Spikes is going to be a 2nd-3rd rounder come draft day. If he wanted more finances, he would have been smart to declare this year. I really like him as a prospect though...it just seems like there is a top linebacker prospect that always slips to the 2nd or 3rd round (Poz, Laurinatis, Maualuga, Connor).

I hope I'm wrong, because he's one of my favorite prospects in this draft, but it just seems that's the way it has flown lately.

Anyways, some other guys that I like in this linebacker class are:

Joe Pawelek Baylor
Micah Johnson Kentucky
Roddrick Muckelroy Texas

TitanHope
05-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Rico McCoy will be playing WLB in Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2 scheme this season. Should be a commodity for Cover 2 teams in the NFL come Draft time. Great production, even when playing next to Jerod Mayo.

Thumper
05-26-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm having a feeling Brandon Spikes is going to be a 2nd-3rd rounder come draft day.
Anyways, some other guys that I like in this linebacker class are:

Micah Johnson Kentucky
Roddrick Muckelroy Texas

I agree with this. Spikes isn't really fantastic in any aspect of the game and guys like that hardly ever go round 1. I have also heard that Spikes takes questionable angles at times. Spikes is not strong enough to play SLB and not athletic enough to play WLB, so he doesn't offer versatility.

I like Micah Johnson he is a thumper in the run game and reminds me of David Harris out of Michigan and he has shades of Jeremiah Trotter.

My favorite LB prospect is Rolando McClain. He is big and fast. He really seems like a stud LB in the making. Everytime I watched Alabama he was the guy that stood out alot and I've been looking foward to having him draft eligible.

Could someone elaborate on Muckelroy? I haven't seen much of him.
Also Qaun Sturdivant and Navarro Bowman if you can, please.

princefielder28
05-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Joe Pawelek is a gamer and my favorite LB prospect this year. Weatherspoon needs more love too.

Mr. Hero
05-26-2009, 09:25 PM
If Spikes is a second rounder I'd **** it a brick if the giants drafted him, our front seven would be monsterous, we'd be so deep at DE, DT and LB, **** our backup front seven would be pretty solid.

woodyx02
05-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Its a shame about Mark Herzlich..... Going into the season this looks like a weak LB class. Other then Sergio Kindle and as you guys mentioned, Spikes I dont see a sure-fire 1st rounder. Im very interested too watch Antonio Coleman, Jerry Hughes and Eric Norwood as pass rushers this year.

SenorGato
05-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Yea...Rolando McClain is in my top 5 favorite players in this draft. Hightower's a beast in the making right next to him.

Sniper
05-26-2009, 09:39 PM
If Spikes is a second rounder I'd **** it a brick if the giants drafted him, our front seven would be monsterous, we'd be so deep at DE, DT and LB, **** our backup front seven would be pretty solid.

I think it was Number 10 who said that the Giants' backups would be a top 10 defense. I laughed...a lot.

SKim172
05-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Ryan D'Imperio of Rutgers has played pretty damn well at the inside backer spot. I guess you can tab him as a second-day type of prospect, but the Scarlet glasses show a bright future for him. And the voices in my head tell me he's gonna be amazing in the league.

DeepThreat
05-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Watch out for Ross Homan.

Sniper
05-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Watch out for Ross Homan.

...in the sixth round.

iBoldin
05-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Is Homan the Ohio State guy? I remember hearing his name during a couple of games last season.

Anyways, my favorite linebacker is Spikes, followed by Weatherspoon. Weatherspoon is going to be dangerous in a Tampa 2.

A lot of good defensive ends that should make the switch to rush linebacker as well.

Sniper
05-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Homan is indeed the OSU guy. Decent player, but nothing to write home about.

YAYareaRB
05-26-2009, 11:10 PM
So is Herzlich able to play next season? If he doesn't that would ******* suck big dick

the decider13
05-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Travis Lewis is a man beast.

That is all

Mr. Hero
05-26-2009, 11:23 PM
I think it was Number 10 who said that the Giants' backups would be a top 10 defense. I laughed...a lot.

I don't know about top 10 but, Kiwi-Bernard-Cofield/Alford-Tollefson/Evans DL with Goff-Spikes-Kehl behind them is better than a handful of teams' front sevens.

iBoldin
05-26-2009, 11:26 PM
So is Herzlich able to play next season? If he doesn't that would ******* suck big dick

Barring miracle, Herzlich's likely not going to play football ever again. At least not professionally.

Texas Homer
05-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Roddrick Muckelroy from Texas is a tackling machine. If he can get into better shape and get stronger, then I could see him go in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Spikes of course is as big time LB as it gets for a LB prospect.

I like MLB Jared Norton from Texas as well. I think after another off season of lifting and learning/training under DC Muschamp, I could see him going in the 4th round.

Geo
05-26-2009, 11:36 PM
My one and only focus going into this season, as a Colts fan, will be middle linebacker. Gary Brackett is playing on the last year of his contract and while he is solid and a leader, the Colts defense could really improve if they could land a successor who is bigger, stronger and faster with similar intangibles and leadership.

Scotty D
05-26-2009, 11:48 PM
I don't know about top 10 but, Kiwi-Bernard-Cofield/Alford-Tollefson/Evans DL with Goff-Spikes-Kehl behind them is better than a handful of teams' front sevens.

Actually no, not at all.

TACKLE
05-26-2009, 11:50 PM
My one and only focus going into this season, as a Colts fan, will be middle linebacker. Gary Brackett is playing on the last year of his contract and while he is solid and a leader, the Colts defense could really improve if they could land a successor who is bigger, stronger and faster with similar intangibles and leadership.

I'm pretty sure the Colts will be looking for a smart, productive, mild-mannered offensive player.

I think Sean Weatherspoon would be nice fit with the Colts. He's verastile and has great speed and instincts. He's a little on the small side but that seemed to discouarge the Colts in the past.

holt_bruce81
05-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Sean Weatherspoon is an absolute beast. The guy does everything. He's going to be a probowl Weakside Linebacker for some team in the future.

YAYareaRB
05-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Mason Foster, UWashington.. Watch out for him. He's been the lone bright spot on the Udub defense for two years now.

rockio42
05-27-2009, 12:56 AM
I was hyping Sean Weatherspoon all last year...and even called his HUGE game against Illinois when he made Juice Williams his *****...he is the perfect WLB and I don't understand those who say he could play MLB or SLB, he played at 225 pounds all year and is fast as ****...put at WLB in any 4-3 and then just seat back and watch him kick ass

Big_Pete
05-27-2009, 02:53 AM
I guess it all depends on what scheme people are looking at

I expect LB to slip next year, not because the class is necessarily weak but there is a ton of good DEs and DTs next year.

I think Spikes will end up in the 2nd round mix

as usual there will be the 3-4 OLB/DE hybrids in demand and there are plenty with Sergio Kindle, Antonio Coleman, Willie Young, Jerry Hughes, Ricky Sapp, George Selvie, Brandon Lang, Eric Norwood, Jermanine Cunningham, Auston English

MLB is also strong with Rolando McClain, Brandon Spikes, Joe Pawelek, Sean Lee, Micah Johnson

WLB is probably the hardest with guys like Sean Weatherspoon and Rico McCoy. Not many teams are playing the 4-3 defense, and of those not many have WLB as their major need. I can see both of these guys slipping more than they should in the draft. (the same happened this year with McGrath, Casillas etc)

BigBanger
05-27-2009, 03:31 AM
Brandon Spikes is a monster.

He is probably the most versatile LB I've ever seen. He can play any LB position in a 43 and every LB position in a 34. People said that about that prototypical 43 SAM backer Aaron Curry this year simply because he was regarded as the best prospect in the draft, but that was never the case. The '10 draft will have a guy that actually has seen a ton of time at MLB, OLB and been asked to stand up and rush the passer on passing downs (Where he was arguably the Gators best pass rusher). This guy can actually play all LB positions.

Spikes has incredible size, great instincts and attacks the backfield. His vision and ability to diagnose a play is almost at an elite level as a junior (Rennie Curran is the only LB I would put ahead of him in that department). He has the length and strength to stack and shed blockers. He does a great job working and picking his way through traffic. He's a form tackler who breaks down in the open field (Also lays the wood from time to time). He's physical and stout at the point of attack (When he wants to be). He has multiple pass rush moves to be an intriguing prospect for 34 teams and a great burst off the line. He's a great blitzer and really developed nicely and made big improvements last year dropping into coverage, which is still the weakest part of his game. He's going to be a great leader. Very quick and excellent in pursuit.

The only thing he does that you don't like is try to avoid blockers and step around them. He doesn't always do it. He does have the quickness and makes it routine to make a blocker miss him at the second level, but that could lead some to questionable angles. When he attacks downhill, he's unstoppable. Still fairly raw with a lot of potential left. He's just coming off his best season too where he was leaps and bounds better than his previous year and he's always been pretty good. He might not be seen as a true MIKE backer in a 43. I love his ability as an ILB in a 34.

Potential top 10 prospect.

Reminds me a lot of James Farrior.

Rolando McClain is the closest thing I've seen to Patrick Willis and Patrick Willis is/was the best LB to ever play.

Sean Lee is worse than Dan Connor and Dan Connor was garbage. This board loves talking about future 6th or 7th round draft picks. I don't know why.

Cicero
05-27-2009, 03:42 AM
There's no way Brandon Spikes is a top 10 pick.

HawkeyeFan
05-27-2009, 03:54 AM
Two linebackers from Iowa that will make a big push to be high(er) picks will be OLB AJ Edds, and MLB Pat Angerer.

Both beasted last year, especially Angerer. Who I believe, led in the Big 10 in interceptions.

Yatta!
05-27-2009, 05:34 AM
Should be another good year for 3-4 outside linebackers as well, led by Kindle of course. Eric Norwood, Antonio Coleman and Jerry Hughes could crack the 1st round and then there's all the tweener DEs like Selvie, Brandon Lang, Ricky Sapp, Willie Young and Rahim Alem.

JFLO
05-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Should be another good year for 3-4 outside linebackers as well, led by Kindle of course. Eric Norwood, Antonio Coleman and Jerry Hughes could crack the 1st round and then there's all the tweener DEs like Selvie, Brandon Lang, Ricky Sapp, Willie Young and Rahim Alem.

I think Willie Young is going to be a beast in the NFL. He's got speed and incredible size to play the 3-4 rushback. He's going to wow scouts come Pro Day and Combine and if he adds a decent season to that then he could be a first round pick come draft day.

DiG
05-27-2009, 07:14 AM
My two favorite prospects right now are Travis Lewis and Quan Sturdivant. Lewis in a man beast and I think will end up being the first linebacker off the board. He should be a top 15 pick at the latest and probably will crack the top 10. Quan is more of a 2-3rd round guy but with another good season could be someone who rises fast.

SuperKevin
05-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Rolando McClain is the closest thing I've seen to Patrick Willis and Patrick Willis is/was the best LB to ever play.

I can't believe I'm the first person to notice this. Either you're incredibly stupid or you are 10 years old because Patrick Willis is nowhere near as good as Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas

Big_Pete
05-27-2009, 07:45 AM
I can see 3 LBs definately going in the first round next year (not counting DE/3-4 OLB tweeners)

Rolando McClain, Sergio Kindle and Travis Lewis (if he declares as a RSO)

I think Spikes will be in the late first round/early 2nd round mix; no dis-respect to Spikes, he is a good player but there will be a heck of alot of talent at the premium positions.

Perhaps Spikes' best shot at the first round is with a team like the Giants. They won't have many needs and could be looking for Pierce's replacment. Most other teams seem to likely have more urgent needs at other positions.

SuperKevin
05-27-2009, 07:49 AM
He's slightly undersized but I really like Reggie Carter from UCLA. He's incredibly athletic and has experience inside and outside.

Sniper
05-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Two linebackers from Iowa that will make a big push to be high(er) picks will be OLB AJ Edds, and MLB Pat Angerer.

Both beasted last year, especially Angerer. Who I believe, led in the Big 10 in interceptions.

Yeah, him and his awesome teammate Tyler Sash both had five picks.

iBoldin
05-27-2009, 10:10 AM

Wait..what?

AntoinCD
05-27-2009, 11:17 AM
My favourite ILB for this year is definitely Rolando McLain and I think he will be taken above Spikes. I think Alabama will once again have one of the best defenses next year and he will be a big part of it. I also think his size will make people drool next year at the combine

eaglesalltheway
05-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Sean Weatherspoon is an absolute beast. The guy does everything. He's going to be a probowl Weakside Linebacker for some team in the future.

I like Weatherspoon a lot, saw a lot of him, and though I'm not brash enough to annoint him a Pro-Bowler yet, I think he will be a very, very good WLB in the NFL. I'd love for the Eagles to get him, as he is a great fit and would compliment the rest of our LB corp very well, and WLB is our only position of need at the moment.

eaglesalltheway
05-27-2009, 11:52 AM
I was hyping Sean Weatherspoon all last year...and even called his HUGE game against Illinois when he made Juice Williams his *****...he is the perfect WLB and I don't understand those who say he could play MLB or SLB, he played at 225 pounds all year and is fast as ****...put at WLB in any 4-3 and then just seat back and watch him kick ass

Agreed, his style of play is best suited at WLB, and he really wouldn't be a good fit at any other position, but he will excell as a WILL. He is good in coverage and is really a playmaker, which is what teams want out of their WLB. He's good against the run, but he would benefit much better as a WLB where he won't have to face blockers as much.

LizardState
05-27-2009, 12:44 PM
My favourite ILB for this year is definitely Rolando McLain and I think he will be taken above Spikes. I think Alabama will once again have one of the best defenses next year and he will be a big part of it. I also think his size will make people drool next year at the combine

McClain is looking like the odds-on fave for 1st LB taken, McShay called him the "best LB in the nation."

Yeah I'm a Crimson Tide homer, it's the same program that gave you the late Derrick Thomas (congrats on getting in the HoF, still holds the NFL single game sack record), & gave the Texans their Defensive RotYr. for 07 DeMeco Ryans.

McClain is 253 pounds of run stopper human tackling machine, I think he would be best in 4-3 at the Mike spot, barring injury he could be the next Lance Briggs. He terrorized the SEC all last yr & Saban opened things up for him a tad, with Hightower holding the middle he could rush the passer & got 2 sacks, I expect more of the same in 09.

With a new QB & their best RB Coffee now a SF 49er, if Alabama goes anywhere in the BCS this season their killer defense with preseason 1st team All American McClain, Hightower next to him & speedburner Kareem Jackson at CB will be the horse they will ride there.

Race for the Heisman
05-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Two guys not mentioned who I very much like are Mike McLoughlin (Boston College), who kind of reminds me of Gary Brackett, and Alex Wujciak (Maryland), who is a prototypical 3-4 MIKE.

ncst8fan83
05-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Nate Irving = http://www.tvtix.com/images/web/1776.jpg

etk
05-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Nate Irving = http://www.tvtix.com/images/web/1776.jpg

wow lol I was just about to say this.

Also, Rolando McClain plays nothing like Patrick Willis.

And a lot of these guys are overhyped. Weak LB class imo.

Also, Sean Lee worse than Dan Connor? I don't know how he'll recover from the injury but most PSU fans touted him as better than Connor and Posluszny. Poz was a 2nd rounder and Connor was a 3rd rounder.

Sniper
05-27-2009, 03:24 PM
McClain is looking like the odds-on fave for 1st LB taken, McShay called him the "best LB in the nation."

McShay also said Fili Moala was the #1 pick a year before the '09 draft. He's not a beacon of credibility.

Don Vito
05-27-2009, 03:32 PM
I really like Micah Johnson, he could be a nice pickup for a 3-4 team to play inside.

It is a shame about Herzlich, he looked to have it all as a linebacker. He could get to the QB, make plays in coverage, and tackle all while having nice physical tools. All you can hope for him is to recover, but that BC defense will be in a tough spot with Raji and Brace gone as well as Herzlich and MLB Mike McLaughlin not playing this year. They also lost 3 LB's to graduation this year (Toal, Francois, Akins).

A homer pick for me would be Ole Miss WLB Patrick Trahan #7. He will be a senior this year, he transferred from Auburn a few years back. He was the talk of the spring for Ole Miss at 6-3 230 with outstanding athleticism (former safety, they say he is a 4.5 guy). He really improved as the year went on last year, it was his first year with the Rebs (went from Auburn to JUCO then played in his first year at Ole Miss) and he was sort of thrown into the fire but when he picked up the defense he looked great.

OneToughGame
05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
This thread gave him a little attention but he needs more. Mason Foster deserves love. :)

themaninblack
05-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Who are some of the top 4-3 SLBs I should keep an eye out for? While Maualuga is going to be there to start, his slide to MLB will probably come sooner rather than later so the Bengals should be in the market for an SLB in the mid to late rounds of next years draft.

eaglesalltheway
05-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Antonio Coleman is a potential first day SLB prospect, but IMO, is much better suited as a Rush LB in a 3-4. Same goes with Dexter Davis from Arizona.

Perry Riley from LSU could potentially bea a 4-3 SAM, but once again, I'm not sure its his best fit.

Micah Johnson has played mostly inside, but he may be capable of sliding out to SAM. He is solid in coverage and has some pass rush capabilities to go with his effectiveness in the run game.

Don Vito
05-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Two guys not mentioned who I very much like are Mike McLoughlin (Boston College), who kind of reminds me of Gary Brackett, and Alex Wujciak (Maryland), who is a prototypical 3-4 MIKE.

McLaughlin is out for the year, which is another blow to the BC defense that lost Herzlich and a ton of starters to graduation from last years squad.

I am a big Micah Johnson fan, I would like to see him have a big year. He would be a stud playing inside in a 3-4 zone blitz defense like Pittsburgh's, I think that's his best fit.

Texas Homer
05-27-2009, 05:20 PM
I forgot to mention McClain. I like him a lot as well.

YAYareaRB
05-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Mason Foster is the lone bright spot on the UDubb defense.

mqtirishfan
05-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Not many teams are playing the 4-3 defense, and of those not many have WLB as their major need. I can see both of these guys slipping more than they should in the draft. (the same happened this year with McGrath, Casillas etc)
Umm... What?

Sniper
05-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Not many teams are playing the 4-3 defense

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h56/clarefc/o_rlmente.jpg

Texas Homer
05-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Not many teams are playing the 4-3 defense, and of those not many have WLB as their major need. I can see both of these guys slipping more than they should in the draft.
The Texans use 4-3 and a WLB could be a position of need for them if Adibi and/or Diles don't step up. I hope Adibi steps up though so WLB isn't the main need.

holt_bruce81
05-27-2009, 09:20 PM

You watch the Missouri bowl game? Weatherspoon was a beast. It was absolutely amazing to watch.

TACKLE
05-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Weatherspoon is a play maker but his 6'0 225lb frame will hurt his draft status. He'll need to bulk up a bit during the pre-draft process.

rockio42
05-28-2009, 12:09 AM
You watch the Missouri bowl game? Weatherspoon was a beast. It was absolutely amazing to watch.

Dude, please I was AT the bowl game, and he played beastly...I've actually been at the past 2 bowl games PLUS the Big 12 Championship in San Antonio when unfortunately Oklahoma kicked Mizzou's ass...

GhostDeini
05-28-2009, 05:04 AM
Saying Spikes is a 2-3 rounder is crazy. This guy is in almost every play. He's a good athlete and reacts quickly to things. This isnt Rey Maualuga who is a below average athlete and has no instincts for the position. Or any of the PSU LB's who they always over-rate. Spikes reminds me of Urlacher in couple ways. Both around 6'4 250's and can rush the passer from the middle. Urlacher use to get 5 to 8 sacks a year from MIKE.

eaglesalltheway
05-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Weatherspoon is a play maker but his 6'0 225lb frame will hurt his draft status. He'll need to bulk up a bit during the pre-draft process.

I agree he'll need to bulk up some, but almost all LB prospects entering the draft process need to bulk up. I think he can easily add about 10 pounds while keeping the athletecism that makes him special.

Edit: Mizzou has him listed at 6'2 245, and while I don't think he is necessarily that big, I'd bet he is around 6'1 and in the 235-238 range, he just doesn't look that big when watching him, he seems leaner than 245. But if that is the case, he won't need to bulk up much in the NFL, especially to play at WILL.

TACKLE
05-28-2009, 08:50 AM
Edit: Mizzou has him listed at 6'2 245, and while I don't think he is necessarily that big, I'd bet he is around 6'1 and in the 235-238 range, he just doesn't look that big when watching him, he seems leaner than 245. But if that is the case, he won't need to bulk up much in the NFL, especially to play at WILL.

Wow. He must of bulked up quite a bit since last season. Those numbers are going to be a bit inflated but if he comes in at 6'1 240, that's a solid size.

LizardState
05-28-2009, 10:33 AM
The Athlon College FB mag for 09 is out & I read it last night. As usual they have their preseason All Americans all honked up IMO anyway.

eaglesalltheway:Mizzou has him listed at 6'2 245, and while I don't think he is necessarily that big, I'd bet he is around 6'1 and in the 235-238 range, he just doesn't look that big when watching him, he seems leaner than 245.

They have Herzlich in with Spikes & Weatherspoon (yeah eagles is right, listed at 245 lbs, maybe they're going with the weight supplied by the Mizzou AD) as their 1st team AA LBs. Athlon published it too early, before his announcement of undergoing chemo for the leg tumor, so I'm subtracting him. That would move one of the 2nd team LBs up: Novarro Bowman, Penn St, Travis Lewis, Oklahoma (soph), Eric Norwood, S. Carolina, or one of the 3rd teamers: Rennie Curran, UGA, Joe Pawelek, Baylor, McClain... McClain as a 3rd teamer is what made me condemn them for honking up their AAs in the 1st place, I'll move McClain up to the 1st team.

About Spikes, I have to say he's on the top LBs shelf for a good reason. He's a nonstop motor, all over the field kind of ILB, just ask Ohio St. The Buckeyes remember him well from their beatdown in the 07 championship game where the Gators team speed ran circles around them. I remember him all too well from the Bama loss to them in the SEC Championship game, Spikes had 7 tackles + 2 QB hurries & broke up a pass in the 2008 SEC Championship Game vs. an excellent Saban-coached Tide offense. Spikes comes from an impoverished Southern single-parent family with his mother working as a janitor in North Carolina & a brother doing life for murder in the NC state prison, he said if he went to the NFL he could afford a lawyer who could get his brother out or sentence reduced & substantially improve his mother's life. And yet he chose to return to Florida for his sr. yr. like Tebow, even with those obvious needs knowing he would be among the top 2-3 LBs drafted in 09 he wanted to help his team to a 2nd championship, you have to admire team loyalty like that in this greedy, Me-1st day & age.

I think McClain & Spikes from the SEC will go 1-2 in the 2010 draft, IDK which order though, depends on team defensive needs. Want to stuff the run with your 4-3? draft McClain. Want a versatile, fast LB to rush the passer & play OLB in a 3-4? draft Spikes.

wonderbredd24
05-28-2009, 11:02 AM
It's not out of the question that Sean Witherspoon would not make the move to safety.

He's clearly got the athleticism to do so.

Then again, he could also have a career similar to Derrick Brooks

eaglesalltheway
05-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Wow. He must of bulked up quite a bit since last season. Those numbers are going to be a bit inflated but if he comes in at 6'1 240, that's a solid size.

If he comes out at that size, thats just about perfect weight for his height for a WLB. He could use another inch, and if he is closer to the 6'2 he is listed at that will only help him. But seeing 245 does surprise me a bit, but 225 surprised me more, which is why I checked into it. I'd but him at 235 or a bit more TBH, and even that isn't too bad for a LB prospect, especially a WLB.

SuperKevin
05-28-2009, 11:38 AM
It's not out of the question that Sean Witherspoon would not make the move to safety.

I think it'd be a bad move to move him to safety. He's good enough in pass coverage to handle RBs, TEs, and short zone assignments but I think he'd be horribly overmatched playing deep zone or man on a WR

I laugh at how everyone makes it seem like a player can't gain 5-10 lbs between now and next year. Who cares if he plays at 230 right now. I'm sure he'll be at 240 or so by the Combine

eaglesalltheway
05-28-2009, 11:39 AM

His best fit is at WLB, and him moving to Safety isn't necessary at all. He is everything a team will want out of their WLB, and it'd be a huge risk for him to move to Safety, and an unnecesary one, sonsidering his capabilities as a WILL.

eaglesalltheway
05-28-2009, 11:40 AM
SuperKevin and I covered all bases pretty well there, lol.

SuperKevin
05-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Is Auburn still playing with 200-210 lb linebackers? Seems like for the better part of the decade they've valued having like 7 DBs on the field instead of big thumpers

eaglesalltheway
05-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Craig Stevens is 225
Eltorro Freeman is 222
Josh Bynes is 233

Those are who they have slated as their starters right now, and while that is still relatively small for a LB corp, it is a lot better than having guys that light.

bored of education
05-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Some players I will be keeping an eye on this year are(some will only be Jrs):
Alex Wujciak of Maryland, I htink he might be a bit slow?
Jason Beauchamp, might be smaller than Witherspoon listed about 220?
Quan Sturdivant
Vincent Rey
Pat Angerer

just some later round types that with a monster year could work their way up

Mr. Hero
05-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Actually no, not at all.

Detroit Lions, Denver Broncos, St. Louis Rams (on par) and the chiefs. *shrug* Our backups would be as good or better than those four teams.

SuperKevin
05-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Some players I will be keeping an eye on this year are(some will only be Jrs):
Alex Wujciak of Maryland, I htink he might be a bit slow?
Jason Beauchamp, might be smaller than Witherspoon listed about 220?
Quan Sturdivant
Vincent Rey
Pat Angerer

just some later round types that with a monster year could work their way up

Wujciak is my favorite LB for 2011. I doubt he declares as a junior this year. The coaches will be showing him Erin Henderson as a reason why to stay in school. Wujciak is a tackling machine and along with Chris Galippo, could make some 3-4 teams in need of a MLB very happy.

Scotty D
05-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Detroit Lions, Denver Broncos, St. Louis Rams (on par) and the chiefs. *shrug* Our backups would be as good or better than those four teams.

Julian Peterson, Larry Foote, and Ernie Sims is worse then the Giants back up LBS?

Sniper
05-28-2009, 05:26 PM

Evans? As in undrafted free agent Maurice Evans?

Cigaro
05-28-2009, 05:50 PM
I was one of the few who knew about McClain's potential before the beginning of last year, but I think he's actually reached the level of slightly overrated at this point. He's damn good, but not a super prospect in my opinion.

Don Vito
05-28-2009, 05:56 PM
I would like to see a big year out of Eric Norwood next year. He could be a nice 3-4 linebacker and if he has a monster season his stock could really rise, people were really high on him before last season. He doesn't have the best physical tools when it comes to size and pure speed, but he is an athlete who can get it done.

themaninblack
05-28-2009, 10:26 PM
I really REALLY like Eric Norwood a lot. He reminds me of David Pollack for some reason though he is probably more athletic. He could probably do well in a 4-3 too from what I have seen from him.

Santonio10
05-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Evans? As in undrafted free agent Maurice Evans?

Mo Evans = Beast

great sign by the giants

SenorGato
05-28-2009, 11:34 PM
I was one of the few who knew about McClain's potential before the beginning of last year, but I think he's actually reached the level of slightly overrated at this point. He's damn good, but not a super prospect in my opinion.

Don't worry that'll pass...I was on him too...once the season starts people will put it in perspective and realize that Obi Ezeh and Micah Johnson are also beasts.

Geo
05-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Obi Ezeh is a beast? Michigan's Obi Ezeh?

mqtirishfan
05-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Don't worry that'll pass...I was on him too...once the season starts people will put it in perspective and realize that Obi Ezeh and Micah Johnson are also beasts.

Like in Beauty and the Beast on Broadway or something?

Mr. Hero
05-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Julian Peterson, Larry Foote, and Ernie Sims is worse then the Giants back up LBS?

If the giants added Brandon Spikes, and our backup DL is better than the detroit DL so our LBs have to do less. They're not vastly superior but I think they're a notch better, either way the point was that we would have just filthy depth in the front seven.

etk
05-29-2009, 08:14 AM

Whatever makes you sleep at night.....

05-29-2009, 08:27 AM
If the giants added Brandon Spikes, and our backup DL is better than the detroit DL so our LBs have to do less. They're not vastly superior but I think they're a notch better, either way the point was that we would have just filthy depth in the front seven.

You're assuming a little, and let's try to evaluate each group individually too. This is not the same group that Detroit trotted out there last season, it is much improved.

Sniper
05-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Mo Evans = Beast

great sign by the giants

He's alright, but to say a rookie UDFA is better than a bunch of veterans right now is absurd.

Sniper
05-29-2009, 08:38 AM
realize that Obi Ezeh and Micah Johnson are also beasts.

Obi Ezeh is not a beast. He's decent against the run and awful in pass coverage and shedding blocks.

ironman4579
05-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Obi Ezeh is not a beast. He's decent against the run and awful in pass coverage and shedding blocks.

As I said in the college forum, people see that Ezeh actually has pretty good stats overall (165 tackles, 11 TFL's, 3 sacks, 4 PD's, 2 INT's, 1 FF, 1 FR), and assume he must be good. Plus I think he gets compared to David Harris, who he's nowhere near at this point.

Basically, I completely agree with you Sniper, although I actually think even his run defense is a little overrated, as his instincts just aren't great at his point.

However, he is only a junior this year, and he's only going into his third year as a LB, so he's really still learning and growing as a player. I suppose there's a chance he has a breakout year this year or next. I sure hope so anyway. We could use some studly LB play.

TACKLE
05-29-2009, 12:21 PM
I really question Eric Norwoods ability to play at the next level. He has been an effective pass rusher in college but I just since his upside is limited. He's about 6'0 255 but he doesn't have the top-end edge explosiveness to compensate for his size. I understand Lamarr Woodley was short and stalky but he was/is excellent at getting leverage against tall OT's. Norwood's game is more around beating his man around the edge. And although he has done a good job of it in college, I don't his game translates well to the NFL. Also, I think he's probably only a 3-4 OLB in the NFL and I don't see him fitting in a 4-3. I'm not trying to bash him too bad. I like him and he's definitely a good player but I just have my doubts when it comes to his NFL prospects.

Santonio10
05-29-2009, 03:02 PM
He's alright, but to say a rookie UDFA is better than a bunch of veterans right now is absurd.

Yeah I know what you mean. I have heard that he is impressing in camp though. He is a guy that had first found potential so i guess it's not all that crazy

etk
05-29-2009, 04:53 PM
I really question Eric Norwoods ability to play at the next level. He has been an effective pass rusher in college but I just since his upside is limited. He's about 6'0 255 but he doesn't have the top-end edge explosiveness to compensate for his size. I understand Lamarr Woodley was short and stalky but he was/is excellent at getting leverage against tall OT's. Norwood's game is more around beating his man around the edge. And although he has done a good job of it in college, I don't his game translates well to the NFL. Also, I think he's probably only a 3-4 OLB in the NFL and I don't see him fitting in a 4-3. I'm not trying to bash him too bad. I like him and he's definitely a good player but I just have my doubts when it comes to his NFL prospects.

- He's bigger than 255
- He's got explosiveness. His overall athletic ability is limited for a LB though
- Norwood can bull rush effectively. He's not the complete athlete/pass rusher that Woodley is though
- He will have a better NFL than college career. He's playing out of position at LB. He really stood out in his first 2 years playing on the line. He showed good power, quickness and motor for the position. I think he fits somewhere between Greg Spires and Elvis Dumervil as a player and will be a solid rotational end who can play on the left or right side. I don't like his prospects as a LB but he's capable of playing that position. Versatility is a big + for him.

yourfavestoner
05-29-2009, 05:00 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2009-01/44429573.jpg

Brandon Hicks, the other UF linebacker. He's undersized at 6'2 221 lbs, but he's only going into his junior season. He started the last six games of the season and was making plays all over the field, including sacking Sam Bradford for a 16 yard loss in the opening possession of the NC game. With teams' attention focused on other stars like Brandon Spikes and Carlos Dunlap, expect Hicks to run free and use his speed to make plays all over the field.

eaglesalltheway
05-30-2009, 12:37 PM
He looks like he is bigger than 221 to me, he has thick legs and his core looks thick as well. Maybe the picture got compressed or something, but his thighs (might be the angle they are at) look pretty well built and his stomach looks thick (could be attributed to a loose jersey, but I doubt it, all jerseys now almost feel form-fitted, lol). If he is 6'2, he might be pushing 230-235 easily, unless, like I said that picture is compressed.

Cigaro
05-30-2009, 03:26 PM
- He's bigger than 255
- He's got explosiveness. His overall athletic ability is limited for a LB though
- Norwood can bull rush effectively. He's not the complete athlete/pass rusher that Woodley is though
- He will have a better NFL than college career. He's playing out of position at LB. He really stood out in his first 2 years playing on the line. He showed good power, quickness and motor for the position. I think he fits somewhere between Greg Spires and Elvis Dumervil as a player and will be a solid rotational end who can play on the left or right side. I don't like his prospects as a LB but he's capable of playing that position. Versatility is a big + for him.

I wouldn't say he's playing out of position at linebacker. Last season was his best yet, and I'm pretty sure you know what position he played at. I don't like him too much as a 4-3 OLB, however. In the 3-4, he's one of my favorite prospects.

kwilk103
05-30-2009, 07:05 PM
jt thomas (wlb) and pat lazear (slb) should have big years for wvu

jt was solid all year, and started to play extremely well down the stretch

lazear was in the middle last year due to an injury, and struggled, but the last couple games he showed why he was highly rated

both are juniors

SuperKevin
05-30-2009, 08:44 PM
jt thomas (wlb) and pat lazear (slb) should have big years for wvu

jt was solid all year, and started to play extremely well down the stretch

lazear was in the middle last year due to an injury, and struggled, but the last couple games he showed why he was highly rated

both are juniors

Pat Lazear is a beast. He's from Montgomery County, Maryland. Got in a crap load of trouble in high school though for participation in an armed robbery of a Smoothie Hut

kwilk103
05-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Pat Lazear is a beast. He's from Montgomery County, Maryland. Got in a crap load of trouble in high school though for participation in an armed robbery of a Smoothie Hut

yea, i know; there was a lot of debate on wvu boards on whether we should have taken him; he hasnt been in trouble at wvu

he was real good on special teams his freshman year, and by all accouts had a great spring

coaches are expecting big things from him this year

TACKLE
05-31-2009, 12:25 PM
A name to be aware of is Quan Sturdivant from UNC. He's a sophomore and a little undersized at 6'2 230 but he's fast, aggressive and is does a really nice job in coverage. He had 122 tackles but was the national leader in solo tackles with 87. He also had 5.5 TFL's, 2 sacks and 2 INT's. He may not come out this year but if he puts up some big production again like he's capable of, I wouldn't be surprised if he declared.

SenorGato
05-31-2009, 11:23 PM
As I said in the college forum, people see that Ezeh actually has pretty good stats overall (165 tackles, 11 TFL's, 3 sacks, 4 PD's, 2 INT's, 1 FF, 1 FR), and assume he must be good. Plus I think he gets compared to David Harris, who he's nowhere near at this point.

Basically, I completely agree with you Sniper, although I actually think even his run defense is a little overrated, as his instincts just aren't great at his point.

However, he is only a junior this year, and he's only going into his third year as a LB, so he's really still learning and growing as a player. I suppose there's a chance he has a breakout year this year or next. I sure hope so anyway. We could use some studly LB play.

Key words with Ezeh...he has everything else to succeed but the experience IMO and he'll get there. He's the kind of LBer who'll be a better pro than college player, and I can't really think of a talented Michigan LB who I didn't like over the past 3-4 years.

It's obvious he's kind of newbish when you watch them play, but that'll go away with time and play...especially if the rest of the D plays up.

YAYareaRB
05-31-2009, 11:40 PM
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics/400/IG/IGIKXNCXODTNPHF.20081129035655.jpg

LSU is due for at least one good LB per season, two if we're lucky, all three if God's a tiger.. But one really stands out so far. Perry Riley is one to watch coming into this season.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/0227/ncf_g_galippo_576.jpg

With 4 LBs being drafted on day 1 of the past two drafts, USC is becoming a LB factory. But not only did they lose the starting 3 linebackers, they lost the 4th man in rotation. I'm going to love watching Galippo as I have been waiting for him to get his shot since he got to UCS.

OneToughGame
05-31-2009, 11:55 PM
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics/400/IG/IGIKXNCXODTNPHF.20081129035655.jpg

LSU is due for at least one good LB per season, two if we're lucky, all three if God's a tiger.. But one really stands out so far. Perry Riley is one to watch coming into this season.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/0227/ncf_g_galippo_576.jpg

With 4 LBs being drafted on day 1 of the past two drafts, USC is becoming a LB factory. But not only did they lose the starting 3 linebackers, they lost the 4th man in rotation. I'm going to love watching Galippo as I have been waiting for him to get his shot since he got to UCS.

Galippo's only going to be a RS Soph right? His USC profile had him as a Junior last season so I'm totally confused lol.

Race for the Heisman
06-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Tyler Moeller, Ohio State. Very tweenerish. May not start in our 4-3, although he should, and he's bound to be the starter in the nickel which has pretty much become our base defense. Very quick, instinctive, fast (he plays like a 4.5 guy), good in coverage, non-stop motor. He reminds me of Mark Herzlich (without the size) in term of how he plays, to use a comparison most should get. At 6000 - 216 he's definitely small, but if he can get around that he's a great player. He's a redshirt junior and he does play for Ohio State, so it is unlikely he will declare, but he's someone to keep an eye on in my eyes.

Thumper
06-01-2009, 12:18 AM
USC has a stable of LB waiting to replace Cushing, Mualuaga, Matthews and Maiava (Sp?). Luthur Brown, Chris Galippo, Michael Morgan and Malcolm Smith (Steve Smith's brother).

Also LSU LB always seem to fall. Two years in a row guys have been 2nd-3rd round prospects and as scouts evaluated tape and as the LSU players worked out they fell and fell hard. It seems as if it is becoming a trend.

jsang74
06-02-2009, 01:08 AM
USC has a stable of LB waiting to replace Cushing, Mualuaga, Matthews and Maiava (Sp?). Luthur Brown, Chris Galippo, Michael Morgan and Malcolm Smith (Steve Smith's brother).

Also LSU LB always seem to fall. Two years in a row guys have been 2nd-3rd round prospects and as scouts evaluated tape and as the LSU players worked out they fell and fell hard. It seems as if it is becoming a trend.

I really think LSU LBs been slightly overvalued before anyone really takes a close look because of all the talent LSU has had lately on its defensive lines.

GhostDeini
06-02-2009, 01:44 AM
True that, LSU hasnt really produced anything other than DL with 1 or 2 exceptions. Miami is the real Linebacker U with Jessie Armstead, Michael Barrow, Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan, Jonathan Vilma, D.J. Williams, Jon Beason and even guys like Rocky McIntosh and Leon Williams are producing. Keep an eye out for 2 Hurricane sophmore LB's this coming season in Sean Spence & Marcus Robinson who was mainly a pass rusher with hand on the ground as freshman.

YAYareaRB
06-02-2009, 10:33 AM
I didn't call LSU the LB U.. I called SC a LB factory.

TACKLE
08-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Outside of Weatherspoon, who do you think are the top 4-3 OLB's?

princefielder28
08-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Outside of Weatherspoon, who do you think are the top 4-3 OLB's?

It's gonna be a weak year for 4-3 OLBs but I think Dekoda Watson leads the way after Weatherspoon. AJ Edds isn't a highly touted backer yet but I think he could have one of the greatest rises of any player at the position this year.

TACKLE
08-27-2009, 05:49 PM
I forgot about Martez Wilson. He is incredibly talented and is a physical freak (6'4 250, 4.5-4.6 forty) His production was good last year but with tackling machines J Lehamn and Britt Miller no longer there, I expect him to be more productive and to play a larger role in their defense. He has some big time upside.

ToldLikeItIs
08-27-2009, 06:15 PM
AJ edds huh..
What say you this why fielder?

etk
08-27-2009, 07:38 PM
It's gonna be a weak year for 4-3 OLBs but I think Dekoda Watson leads the way after Weatherspoon. AJ Edds isn't a highly touted backer yet but I think he could have one of the greatest rises of any player at the position this year.

Watson leads the way PERIOD.

D-Unit
08-28-2009, 01:15 PM

Of those SC LBs... Mike Morgan is gonna TEAR IT UP the most, imo. He's one of my top 25 preseason prospects. Ran the 40 faster than Cushing and Matthews last year. 4.3-4.4 range. Ken Norton raves about him.

Here's my top LBs....

1. Brandon Spikes, Florida - Wreaks complete havoc
2. Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri - Production speaks volumes
3. Rolando McClain, Alabama - Goes to war everytime he steps foot on the field
4. Ricky Sapp, Clemson - Love him, some have whispered Demarcus Ware comparisons
5. Mike Morgan, USC - Another USC Freak Athlete
6. Justin Cole, SJST - this year's SJST sleeper who will rise up the boards
7. Jerry Hughes, TCU - Don't sleep on him. Haven't seen him mentioned here yet.
8. Sergio Kindle, Texas - Overrated on these boards
9. Rennie Curran, Georgia - Scrappy fellow
10. Sean Lee, Penn St - So much potential just a couple years ago

D-Unit
08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Watson leads the way PERIOD.
Watson needs to show more production. Slightly undersized. I love his potential, but he's never fulfilled it yet. Then there are the character issues you'll have to deal with...

Smoke14
08-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Ricky Sapp is worthless. He's a great athlete for his position, but his football instincts are worse than some of the Junior High kids I am coaching.

Thaddeus Gibson of Ohio State is a 34 rush backer to keep your eyes on. Kid has come on strong late last season. He hasn't been playing football long, so once he gets the game then watch out. He's everything all of my fellow blind homer OSU fans were saying Vernon Gholston was, which of coarse he wasn't.

Whoever calls Spikes a 2-3rd rounder is crazy. Boy can flat out play ball.

Saints-Tigers
08-28-2009, 03:23 PM
LSU LB's look better because of the defensive line depth of the team.

That said, I think someone like Beckwith dropped more than he should have, it was wild to see him projected in the first round, but a mid to late rounder would have been a steal IMO.

wicket
08-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Of those SC LBs... Mike Morgan is gonna TEAR IT UP the most, imo. He's one of my top 25 preseason prospects. Ran the 40 faster than Cushing and Matthews last year. 4.3-4.4 range. Ken Norton raves about him.

Here's my top LBs....

1. Brandon Spikes, Florida - Wreaks complete havoc
2. Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri - Production speaks volumes
3. Rolando McClain, Alabama - Goes to war everytime he steps foot on the field
4. Ricky Sapp, Clemson - Love him, some have whispered Demarcus Ware comparisons
5. Mike Morgan, USC - Another USC Freak Athlete
6. Justin Cole, SJST - this year's SJST sleeper who will rise up the boards
7. Jerry Hughes, TCU - Don't sleep on him. Haven't seen him mentioned here yet.
8. Sergio Kindle, Texas - Overrated on these boards
9. Rennie Curran, Georgia - Scrappy fellow
10. Sean Lee, Penn St - So much potential just a couple years ago

Two comments on the bolded guys. I think you have sean lee way to low. And the reason you havent seen hughes is that he is a DEnd to most people probably (well at least to me, also he seems to have put up quite a bit of extra weight in the offseason).

CashmoneyDrew
08-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Rico McCoy shall be an interesting prospect to keep an eye on this year.

TACKLE
08-28-2009, 03:55 PM
This class is loaded with undersized, athletic WLB. There is a hole bunch of guys clummped together like Dekoda Watson, Quan Sturdivant, Rico McCoy, Rennie Curran, Greg Jones, Navarro Bowman, Roddrick Muckelroy and Stevenson Sylvester. It's going to be a battle for those guys to seperate from each other to become the one of the top OLB's in the draft.

D-Unit
08-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Two comments on the bolded guys. I think you have sean lee way to low. And the reason you havent seen hughes is that he is a DEnd to most people probably (well at least to me, also he seems to have put up quite a bit of extra weight in the offseason).
Hughes is too undersized to be an everydown NFL DE. At 6'2, 250 something, I have him slated to be grouped with the OLB class. But if you're right and he's up around 275 or more then I can see how some would put him with the DEs. What's the latest numbers?

Lee has to show me something first before I rank him higher. Like I said, he was full of potential before the injury, but let's not kid ourselves. It would be a pretty amazing feat to see him at play better than he did before the injury.

FUNBUNCHER
08-28-2009, 06:34 PM
This class is loaded with undersized, athletic WLB. There is a hole bunch of guys clummped together like Dekoda Watson, Quan Sturdivant, Rico McCoy, Rennie Curran, Greg Jones, Navarro Bowman, Roddrick Muckelroy and Stevenson Sylvester. It's going to be a battle for those guys to seperate from each other to become the one of the top OLB's in the draft.

If you had to play these smaller 'backers in a 3-4, do you put them inside or out??

Thumper
08-28-2009, 06:47 PM
I choose option C. None of them belong in a 3-4 defense, AT ALL. They're all suited for a 4-3 WLB or Tampa-2 OLB.

But don't worry, there are no shortages of 3-4 OLBs. There is:
Sergio Kindle
Everson Griffen
George Selvie
Jerry Hughes
Brandon Lang
Eric Norwood
Rahim Alem
Antonio Coleman
Jermaine Cunningham
Dexter Davis
Willie Young
Ricky Sapp
Auston English
Andy Mattingly
Carl Ihenacho
Albert McClellan
Justin Cole

AND MORE! :D

FUNBUNCHER
08-28-2009, 08:51 PM
I really think LSU LBs been slightly overvalued before anyone really takes a close look because of all the talent LSU has had lately on its defensive lines.
What hurts LSU 'backers of late when the draft rolls around isn't film performance, the Tiger LBs test awful in the 40 and the bench press.

They look athletic on film but they don't pass the eyeball test.
I remember Hightower I think 2 years ago was being compared to Derrick Brooks, but then he ran like a 5 flat in the 40.

holt_bruce81
08-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Weatherspoon is Athletic enough and big enough to play all three Linebacker positions in a 4-3.

TACKLE
09-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Rolando McClain will be a monster. I think if he's picked by a 4-3 team, he may be a better fit as an OLB. The guy he really remind me of his Karlos Dansby.

ToldLikeItIs
09-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Pat Angerer had 12 tackles with a TFL.

AJ Edds had 9 tackles with a TFL.

Thumper
09-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Jason Worilds (spelling?) will be a MONSTER 3-4 OLB, he was fantastic last night. He had constant pressure on Alabama's QB.

Also Eric Norwood is a fantastic player IMO a first round player, I don't know how well he will test out at the combine but he is a strong LB who is stout against the run and is pretty fluid in coverage and he plays DE on 3rd downs.

Here are some highlights just because:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqqoJUtvqXU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqqoJUtvqXU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Alabama's two linebackers Hightower and McClain are both first round talents, Hightower is probably stronger but McClain is more athletic, McClain looks like he could play any spot in a 4-3 defense while Hightower is likely limited to MLB or SLB but he is stronger against the run. McClain reminds me of Jerod Mayo coming out.

Rennie Curran (again, spelling?) was great against Oklahoma State, another player who is on the short side but is a player, plays like a missile from hell, built low to the ground, he is quick and he is ripped. I really like him.

etk
09-07-2009, 06:39 PM
I think you're being a bit too liberal with the 1st round talent label. Rey Maualuga, Dan Connor, Erin Henderson, etc. would like to have a word with you.

Of that group only Worilds is a 1st round talent because he's athletic, has a high motor and plays a position that's valued highly.

Thumper
09-07-2009, 06:53 PM
so are you saying that Rolando McClain, Dont'a Hightower, Rennie Curran and Eric Norwood are not first round talents in the next 1-2 years? I'd say they are, Norwood and Curran are probably late first rounder due to size but McClain and Hightower are fantastic linebackers who are going round 1 no doubt in my mind and probably top 20.

All the players I mentioned were good players, its not like I name some huge sleeper. All of those players are good with legit shots at round 1 IMO.

Race for the Heisman
09-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I can't help to think the recent (relatively) explosion of James Harrison is going to do Eric Norwood's stock a world of good.

BamaFalcon59
09-07-2009, 11:51 PM
so are you saying that Rolando McClain, Dont'a Hightower, Rennie Curran and Eric Norwood are not first round talents in the next 1-2 years? I'd say they are, Norwood and Curran are probably late first rounder due to size but McClain and Hightower are fantastic linebackers who are going round 1 no doubt in my mind and probably top 20.

All the players I mentioned were good players, its not like I name some huge sleeper. All of those players are good with legit shots at round 1 IMO.

Curran's height will hurt him big time as far as draft stock.

Eric Norwood is a late round one, early round two guy IMO.

Same for Worilds. Although he has it all but height.

Hightower and McClain both have all the tools, but there are a lot of quality LBs.

We'll see.

etk
09-11-2009, 07:45 PM

McClain will not be a 1st rounder. Remember Jasper Brinkley? He was supposed to be a top 15 pick at one point. McClain is like Brinkley except even more oversized and plays even higher.

I like Curran a lot but he's WAY undersized and probably won't even go Day 1 because of it.

Hightower is another case of people just looking at the roster and going "ZOMGZ 6'4 250". But then again he has time to develop.

Eric Norwood is a good hustle player but he doesn't have the physical ability to go in the 1st. He's not very agile or explosive.

You're handing out these 1st round grades way too easily. LB is a position where lots of guys get burned late in the process after years of 1st round projections, and others sneak into the 1st seemingly out of nowhere.

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Even more so than for DBs, 40 times are looked at very closely for LBs. It's hard to rank which players will be lock 1st rounders until they post times after the season.

wonderbredd24
09-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Even more so than for DBs, 40 times are looked at very closely for LBs. It's hard to rank which players will be lock 1st rounders until they post times after the season.

This is total and utter crap.

Linebacker 40 times are sort of relevant, but nowhere near the level you're putting them at and nowhere near the importance they are for cornerbacks, who will actually need to run 40 yards.

If I'm looking at a linebacker, I'm more interested at his 10, 20, and cone drill because I'm way more concerned with his burst and ability to change directions than I am his ability to run long distances.

Thumper
09-11-2009, 08:37 PM
This is total and utter crap.

Linebacker 40 times are sort of relevant, but nowhere near the level you're putting them at and nowhere near the importance they are for cornerbacks, who will actually need to run 40 yards.

If I'm looking at a linebacker, I'm more interested at his 10, 20, and cone drill because I'm way more concerned with his burst and ability to change directions than I am his ability to run long distances.

100% agree.

But I'd look at his game-tape if anything because instincts are the most important tool for a LB to have, they are a big part of why Lofa Tatupu, London Fletcher-Baker, Demeco Ryans, D'Qwell Jackson and James Farrior are as good as they are. They are the reason that Vernon Gholston, Manny Lawson and soon to be Ricky Sapp will never find much success, great athletes but have no football instincts.

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2009, 09:59 PM
No one is saying that 40 times are the ultimate gauge of a LB's ability, but it is the one metric that will make an otherwise standout prospect rise or fall in the draft.
It happens every year at that position. All I'm saying is scouts tend to weight 40 times much greater for LBs and DBs for some reason.

Look at Laurinaitis and Rey Maualuga, two inside LBs considered 1st round prospects before the draft based on film, but after running mediocre times, they both dropped.

SF LB Patrick Willis was taken 11th overall in part because he clocked a sub 4.4 40 at his pro day.
Forty times for LBs can give you an idea for what kind of range they have, and if they possess the required speed to cover NFL RBs and TEs.

A LB prospect with suspect instincts but superior athletic ability will find a home somewhere in the pros ( Lavar Arrington), whereas a LB with great instincts but poor athletic ability ( Giants LB Antonio Pierce) is viewed by some as not having the tools needed to be an effective player in the NFL.

Until these prospects run for NFL teams, it's going to a little hard for me to get a feel for where they'll be taken.

If those two stud LBs from Alabama run 4.9s, they will have a very difficult time being picked on the first day, IMO.

etk
09-12-2009, 06:58 PM
100% agree.

But I'd look at his game-tape if anything because instincts are the most important tool for a LB to have, they are a big part of why Lofa Tatupu, London Fletcher-Baker, Demeco Ryans, D'Qwell Jackson and James Farrior are as good as they are. They are the reason that Vernon Gholston, Manny Lawson and soon to be Ricky Sapp will never find much success, great athletes but have no football instincts.

I agree. It's a shame guys like Tatupu and Ryans fall to the 2nd. Jackson is a pretty sick athlete tho.

Gholston could still become an impact pass rusher. His problem is that he's stiff as a rock, not that he has no instincts.

coordinator0
09-12-2009, 09:30 PM
I like Greg Jones from Michigan State as an outside linebacker in a 4-3 a lot. He's just a junior though and I'd be surprised to see him leave after this season. Great speed, good tackler, good instincts. I would say he's somewhere in the 3rd or4th round at this point.

underscore
09-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Sean Lee has looked extremely good in his first two games, 20 tackles, 5 TFL, one sack, excellent reads in pass defense.

This with Navorro Bowman out nursing a groin injury.

ToldLikeItIs
09-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Aj Edds of Iowa should look appealing to a lot of teams that like to use the bigger linebackers.

He's 6'4 250 and easily our best coverage linebacker.

Cigaro
09-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Eric Norwood is God.

BamaFalcon59
09-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Eric Norwood is God.

=/

Thumper
10-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Rolando McClain put on a show today. That is what I want to see from every single linebacker, it was a nearly perfect showing from him today. He made a ton of tackles and was always around the ball. He attacked the gaps and made plays downhill. He did a fantastic job of covering the flat and he wasn't attacked in coverage at all. He was extremely strong and he would drag runners backwards after contact. McClain made plays sideline to sideline. When someone tried to block him he did a good job of standing them up and standing his ground. He did a good job blitzing and he had a couple hurries and 2 QB hits. He made a heads up interception and just snapped the ball out of the air when it popped out of the receivers hands. And in what is a testament to his power, I watched him knock down the 350+ pounds John Jerry.

Great game and I know am completely sure that McClain is the best LB in this draft.

bernbabybern820
10-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Rolando McClain put on a show today. That is what I want to see from every single linebacker, it was a nearly perfect showing from him today. He made a ton of tackles and was always around the ball. He attacked the gaps and made plays downhill. He did a fantastic job of covering the flat and he wasn't attacked in coverage at all. He was extremely strong and he would drag runners backwards after contact. McClain made plays sideline to sideline. When someone tried to block him he did a good job of standing them up and standing his ground. He did a good job blitzing and he had a couple hurries and 2 QB hits. He made a heads up interception and just snapped the ball out of the air when it popped out of the receivers hands. And in what is a testament to his power, I watched him knock down the 350+ pounds John Jerry.

Great game and I know am completely sure that McClain is the best LB in this draft.

Perfect? I saw him miss two tackles today.

Thumper
10-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Perfect? I saw him miss two tackles today.

I only counted 1 and I said near perfect, not perfect

roscoesdad27
10-11-2009, 06:56 AM

agree 100%....i have him going #5 in my mock to play in the chiefs 3-4/4-3 hybrid...strong against the run, GREAT in coverage and agile threw traffic....big hitter too...complete package.

broncofan7
10-12-2009, 08:54 PM
I really like Micah Johnson, linebacker out of Kentucky. Had very good size and should be a great fit for a 3-4 defense. He's a quiet prospect and people have him ranked about a third round prospect, but I believe by the time the combine and senior bowl rolls around he should make a name for himself and become a late-first to early-second round prospect.

Lindsay Witten should also be a good 3-4 rush linebacker right now he's second overall in sacks in the NCAA. Another quiet prospect who should make a name for him later into the season and near the combine.

SuperKevin
11-08-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm hoping Alex Wujciak of Maryland declares this year as a junior. He's a perfect 3-4 ILB at 6'3" 255 lbs with experience in Maryland's hybrid defense. He has 92 tackles on the year and took an INT 70 yards for a TD yesterday. I think he could be a second rounder if he declared given the lack of depth at linebacker this year

scottyboy
11-08-2009, 11:01 AM
it's a shame the D'Imperio has been so bleh this year. With another strong year and a shallow MLB class, he could've gotten picked around round 3-4. Instead, he's looking at 6-7

etk
11-09-2009, 12:47 PM
it's a shame the D'Imperio has been so bleh this year. With another strong year and a shallow MLB class, he could've gotten picked around round 3-4. Instead, he's looking at 6-7

This may not be relevant to every Rutgers prospect, but how many Rutgers prospects have gone undrafted after you named them as mid-late round candidates?

Not every decent starter from every school gets drafted, ya know? Only 250ish picks.

ToldLikeItIs
11-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Iowa linebacker Aj Edds update

71 tackles, 4 TFL, 4 INT, 4 passes broken up

He constantly guards receivers 40+ lbs less than him, and does a great job. I would wager he's one of the top coverage linebackers right now.

Babylon
11-23-2009, 06:25 PM

He constantly guards receivers 40+ lbs less than him, and does a great job. I would wager he's one of the top coverage linebackers right now.

How would you compare him to a Chad Greenway?

etk
11-23-2009, 08:05 PM

I would wager he runs a 4.45?

Plus everyone knows the fastest and quickest RBs are in the Big 10.

ToldLikeItIs
11-23-2009, 09:06 PM
He isn't the athlete Greenway was. He won't put up a defensive back-like shuttle time, but he has better football smarts.

I would wager he runs a 4.63, which is fine at 6'4 250.

bored of education
11-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Told, how do you think Angerer woud be as a BUCK ?

ToldLikeItIs
11-23-2009, 09:25 PM
I don't know what a BUCK is.

bored of education
11-23-2009, 09:30 PM
To put it in simple terms: Strong side, 3-4 ILB.

holt_bruce81
11-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Sean Weatherspoon:

101 Tackles, 14 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF

Beast Mode.

ToldLikeItIs
11-23-2009, 09:35 PM
What's the ideal size for that?

bored of education
11-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Any height 235-250. Usually more lin the 245-255 range. the smartest of the backers in a 3-4. He is the qb of the defense.

bored of education
11-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Sean Weatherspoon:

Beast Mode.

Beast mode is an understatement.

CC.SD
11-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Is this thread where I can put all the droolbuckets I've filled up watching Alabama games lately?

ToldLikeItIs
11-24-2009, 01:03 AM
Angerer is 6'1 235

He's more instinctive than cerebral, but is solid in coverage and a rock against the run. I think he'd be a decent BUCK.

TACKLE
11-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Where is the love for Von Miller? This guy has been an absolute force all year and has been the most productive defense player in the country with 15 sacks, 18.5 TFL's and 41 tackles. You can add more to that after the Texas game too. The guy plays out of a two-point as a rush end. Miller's best fit is without a doubt as a 3-4 OLB. He is very explosive, has great speed and can run the "arc" and also has a good array of pass rush moves a surprising strength. He's only a junior but I see him declaring given that it would be extremely difficult to match his production. He lacks top-notch physical tools but you can't deny his ability to rush the passer. The NFL has shown you don't need to be 6'5 265 to be a great pass rusher. In the right system, I could see Miller end up being a really nice pick for somebody.

Duffman57
11-27-2009, 02:09 AM
I've noticed that there are alot of Miami fans here, and i was just wondering, how would a guy like Sharpton fare in a 3-4 D? He seems like he has good aggression and can shed blocks decently easily. I haven't seen very much of this kid, but his stats look impressive (i know stats aren't everything though)

rainbeaukid2
11-27-2009, 04:14 PM
what about a guy like Josh Bynes from auburn? i haven't really gotten the chance to watch much college football this year but from this game, the guy is just a beast. he is one of the main reasons that mark ingram is averaging less than 2 yards a carry and he has been doing great. what are the thoughts on his future pro potential?

princefielder28
11-27-2009, 04:22 PM
what about a guy like Josh Bynes from auburn? i haven't really gotten the chance to watch much college football this year but from this game, the guy is just a beast. he is one of the main reasons that mark ingram is averaging less than 2 yards a carry and he has been doing great. what are the thoughts on his future pro potential?

Bynes has been very impressive. I consider him one of the top 3 junior ILBs and he's got 2nd round potential.

YAYareaRB
11-27-2009, 07:42 PM
What are the odds that Brandon Spikes is like Channing Crowder?

princefielder28
11-27-2009, 08:36 PM
What are the odds that Brandon Spikes is like Channing Crowder?

I don't see Spikes falling all the way to the 3rd round but I guess it would not surprise me either.

draftguru151
11-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Sam Maxwell is a better and more productive Kentucky LB than Micah Johnson.

underscore
11-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Sean Weatherspoon:

Beast Mode.

Navarro Bowman

84 tackles, 15.5 TFL, 3.0 sacks, 2 INT (1 for TD), 2 FR (1 for TD).

Oh, and he did that in 9 games.

ToldLikeItIs
11-29-2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NpRbgzYTY0

Thumper
11-29-2009, 05:45 PM
not even close to being thread worthy, is the linebacker thread not good enough?

Cigaro
11-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Linebacker Thread?
Iowa Draft Prospects Thread?(assuming it's still here)

Thumper
11-29-2009, 05:49 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33984&page=7

That is the linebacker thread, use it. I don't think you realize this isn't an Iowa Hawkeyes board and no one really cares to hear you rant about how great (and fast) Iowa players are, much less watch youtube highlights of them.

ALP1987
11-29-2009, 06:20 PM
His stock was higher earlier in the season imo. I do think he can be a good LB at the next level but i don't think he is anything special.

JFLO
11-29-2009, 06:24 PM
seriously, I downgrade every Iowa player a notch or two because of you

ToldLikeItIs
11-29-2009, 06:46 PM
A highlight video of a Nagurski finalist is always worthy of a thread.

critesy
11-29-2009, 06:53 PM

he's very slow, like 4.8 slow probably (but plays faster) but he is an absolute beast in the run. and amazing run backer. definitely a 2 down MLB.

ThePudge
11-29-2009, 06:54 PM
A highlight video of a Nagurski finalist is always worthy of a thread.

No it's not. It's worth a post in THIS thread. This forum would be flooded if every award finalist had their own thread dedicated to a highlight video.

ToldLikeItIs
11-29-2009, 06:58 PM
The forum is already flooded. What value do a bunch of random posters "top 75's" have?

I'm interested in information about a player, whether it's a video or a statistical analysis.

Videos are a lot more valuable than a big board from anyone not named Scott.

ThePudge
11-29-2009, 07:12 PM
The forum is already flooded. What value do a bunch of random posters "top 75's" have?

I'm interested in information about an Iowa Hawkeye, whether it's a video or a statistical analysis.

Videos are a lot more valuable than a big board from anyone not named Scott.

I fixed your post to more suit you posting style. We all know how to use youtube. Posting a video on one player isn't relevant, that's why it's not common practice here.

You have some insight on Iowa players, though your "opinions" are often bogged down by bias. Pat Angerer is a Mid-Late Round prospect at best, why post a highlight video in the NFL Draft forum? There are roughly 150-200 players that could be better profiled in this particular forum. Your thread included no text, simply a youtube video. Most people would consider that spam.

There are some people here that convey much more information in a big board than you do in your "statistical analysis" or a youtube video. Some here are rather good at evaluating talent, not just Scott, so I'm always interested in the variety of opinions here. Shane's very good and will more than likely do something in the field for a career, I am in school studying and working to be an NFL scout, toonster was tremendously insightful when he posted about the draft, and there are some others gifted in the field of talent evaluation. It'd do you some good to actually read the opinions of others instead of "educating" us on Iowa players by posting youtube videos we could have just as easily found ourselves.

ToldLikeItIs
11-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Angerer's a third rounder.

princefielder28
11-29-2009, 09:12 PM

I can buy Angerer going in round three. IMO he's the 2nd best senior ILB and depending on need he could certainly fall into that 3rd round range.

ToldLikeItIs
11-29-2009, 09:15 PM
I'd put him #3 behind Spikes and Daryl Washington.

Cigaro
11-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Angerer will be a decent backup. Probably.

RedVision
11-29-2009, 09:33 PM

I agree, he's been an impact player just like abdul hodges, about the same size but I think he will test better at the combine, kinda like jason phillips shoulda have if he had not been injured. Plus he doesn't have the knee problems abdul has. He may slip to the 4th but not further.

Foosballphan
11-29-2009, 11:39 PM
I have no idea were P. Angerer might get drafted but I think LOLB in a 4-3 might be his best pro position. I believe that is where he started out at Iowa but because of need and A.J. Edds he got moved. I have no way of verifying this but it's rumored he ran a sub 4.6 40 at last years pro day. He is better at coverage than in run support IMO. I think he'd do best in a tampa 2 system (is anyone still running that?). I see him as a special teams guy most likely but he's kinda crazy (and funny) he might surprise. I don't know how he'd fare in a 3-4, he's smart enough but mostly he's fearless and instinctive. He is a quote machine as evidenced by http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pat+angerer+gazetteonline&search_type=&aq=f .

Cigaro
11-30-2009, 08:23 AM
I have no idea were P. Angerer might get drafted but I think LOLB in a 4-3 might be his best pro position. I believe that is where he started out at Iowa but because of need and A.J. Edds he got moved. I have no way of verifying this but it's rumored he ran a sub 4.6 40 at last years pro day. He is better at coverage than in run support IMO. I think he'd do best in a tampa 2 system (is anyone still running that?). I see him as a special teams guy most likely but he's kinda crazy (and funny) he might surprise. I don't know how he'd fare in a 3-4, he's smart enough but mostly he's fearless and instinctive. He is a quote machine as evidenced by http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pat+angerer+gazetteonline&search_type=&aq=f .

SAM/strongside linebacker in non-Madden terms.

Bengals78
12-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Could Weatherspoon play ILB in a 3-4? Or is he strictly a OLB best fit in a 4-3

princefielder28
12-01-2009, 09:37 PM

I think he could play inside in a 3-4

CC.SD
12-01-2009, 09:57 PM

I think he'd be terrific inside in a 3-4.

Nard_Dog
12-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Hate to bump.

But what does everyone think of Travis Lewis? Is there any chance that he may decide to declare? Do you guys think he could play in a 3-4 an inside linebacker.

TACKLE
01-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Rolando McClain is the ******* truth. As far as I'm concerned, easily the #4 prospect in the entire draft.

Please don't take this as a overreaction as I was feeling this way for a while and tonight only confirmed it.

draftguru151
01-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Apparently people/teams like Darryl Sharpton. I'm rather baffled.

Babylon
01-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Rolando McClain is the ******* truth. As far as I'm concerned, easily the #4 prospect in the entire draft.

Please don't take this as a overreaction as I was feeling this way for a while and tonight only confirmed it.

Dont normally like taking LBs that high if they cant get to the passer but he could easily go 4th or 5th.

murdamal86
01-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Rolando McClain will be a monster. I think if he's picked by a 4-3 team, he may be a better fit as an OLB. The guy he really remind me of his Karlos Dansby.

You struck gold with this prediction

TACKLE
02-06-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm not sure people realize how good Rennie Curran is. If he was three inches he would be a Top 20 pick. He is such an explosive athlete who is aggressive, plays down hill and is violent when he makes contact. He very rarely misses tackles. He's been very productive throughout his career. Although he is short, he is very solidly built and is very strong. He is an ideal WLB in a 4-3. He is very similar to Ernie Simms in a lot of ways. Simms was just a little bit better than Curran in each area though the two have some striking similarities. I think because of Ernie's struggles, it has to some extent, made people weary of undersized WLB. I still believe that Curran will excel if he is given the opportunity to play in the right system.

Duffman57
02-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Hate to bump.

But what does everyone think of Travis Lewis? Is there any chance that he may decide to declare? Do you guys think he could play in a 3-4 an inside linebacker.

I think there is no chance he can play in the 3-4. He is strictly a 4-3 SAM IMO.

TACKLE
02-06-2010, 12:46 AM
I think there is no chance he can play in the 3-4. He is strictly a 4-3 SAM IMO.

Definitely 4-3 only. He may not have the size to play SAM but he is so good in coverage that you might want him line up over the TE.

Texas Homer
02-06-2010, 01:32 AM
7 months later and I still like Spikes.

I still think OLB Rod Muckelroy is tackling machine. I think Muck could go in the 3rd or 4th round(just a guess).

I still think that Muckelroy needs to get stronger, but Muck is just a flat out "Football Player". He may not be the most athletic player on the field, but he will deliver a blow and take down the ball carrier.