PDA

View Full Version : Myron Rolle

Big_Pete
05-28-2009, 07:13 AM
S Myron Rolle (Florida St) will be in the 2010 NFL draft after his year at Oxford

How will he rate as an NFL prospect?

I imagine somewhere in the 2nd - 3rd round range at this point

any thoughts?

whatadai
05-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Lower. He's obviously not committed to football. No one wants to spend a 3rd rounder or up on a guy who might bolt in 5 years for medical school.

Yatta!
05-28-2009, 08:41 AM
I think he was overrated anyway and would have probably been in that area if he had stayed but with a year out from football he'll likely be no better than a late rounder.

PACKmanN
05-28-2009, 09:24 AM
I think he was overrated anyway and would have probably been in that area if he had stayed but with a year out from football he'll likely be no better than a late rounder.

I think he never reached his football potential was because he was more dedicated to his studies than onto the football field. Like others have said, if he put the same amount of effort into his football career as he did into his studies, he would be a stud.

CashmoneyDrew
05-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Someone will at least take a flyer on him in the 6th or 7th.

JFLO
05-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Give him all the credit though. The guy has pursued something that is more of a sure thing for his life to be a success both financially and probably morally. If I were him, I wouldn't be too worried about the NFL Draft, even though it's a nice thing to the side. (How many people can say that?)

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Wasn't Jonathon Vilma academically gifted too when he played at Miami?

The problem is Rolle is not the player that Vilma was in college. I just never thought he was that good at FSU.

If wants to play in the pros, postponing med school won't be a problem. It's not like he's going to play football into his forties.

IMO, Rolle is another highly rated prep prospect who never lived up to his billing in college. He probably has a better than 50/50 shot to make some team, but I don't see a starter, ( right now), or a special football player.

CC.SD
05-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't think he was ever in serious consideration as a 1st day draft pick; if expectations aren't high I do believe he can eventually find and hold down a key rotational spot somewhere. But for the most part get this book learner out of here!

iowatreat54
05-28-2009, 01:05 PM
I remember when it first came out that he was awarded the Rhodes Scholarship, that someone here said that he should try to play pro football because it would improve his resume. Because being a Rhodes Scholar doesn't look good enough on a resume...

Mr. Hero
05-28-2009, 01:06 PM
I remember when it first came out that he was awarded the Rhodes Scholarship, that someone here said that he should try to play pro football because it would improve his resume. Because being a Rhodes Scholar doesn't look good enough on a resume...

another starheather classic.

Brent
05-28-2009, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if he at least tried to play football, what's there to lose? If he does well, he can play for a few years and then resume studies, full-time, after he's out of the league. And it isn't like he can't take spring/summer courses. Hell, Steve Young got a law degree while playing football.

whatadai
05-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if he at least tried to play football, what's there to lose? If he does well, he can play for a few years and then resume studies, full-time, after he's out of the league. And it isn't like he can't take spring/summer courses. Hell, Steve Young got a law degree while playing football.

Becoming a neurosurgeon takes a long time. He'll lose a lot of time. Becoming a neurosurgeon is much more difficult to do than getting a law degree. Mostly while being in the NFL.

Gay Ork Wang
05-28-2009, 01:16 PM
he could be his own trainer

OneToughGame
05-28-2009, 01:25 PM
While he's still playing for a school in Florida can he go ahead and teach a certain Dolphin player where the hell London is? I mean he is a Rhodes Scholar and all...

;)

superman8456
05-28-2009, 02:23 PM
A lot of people are putting him on blast in this thread. I think he would be a solid pickup for any team really.

If he falls down boards, its not because of talent, its because of a strong S class.

jkpigskin
05-28-2009, 03:50 PM
his story is a pretty unique one and one that i find very interesting
the guy is gifted in more ways than one. IMO, he is gotta choose one and put all his efforts into that. I wouldnt want him to give 50% on both when he could be an elite in one.

Brent
05-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Becoming a neurosurgeon takes a long time. He'll lose a lot of time. Becoming a neurosurgeon is much more difficult to do than getting a law degree. Mostly while being in the NFL.
I thought he was doing a different medical field. Well, my mistake.

GhostDeini
05-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Vilma was Academic All American while at Miami but not Rhodes Scholarship Oxford material. As far as Rolle, he was finally playing upto his 5 star talent this past season but I think if he comes back to football he's going to have to start from scratch. I would take a chance on him in a supplimental draft or something. Not sure If I would select him on the first day.

BuddyCHRIST
05-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Rolle has actually been hated on so much that he's become underrated on this board. Strictly as a player he profiles as a pretty good SS prospect, he's not an elite guy but he's a good all around player. People call him out on coverage but at FSU the safeties play man coverage about 95% of the time and played in the box quite a bit. But when he was actually back deep he showed good athleticism, he didn't make many big plays but the Rover position doesn't put him in position to make many. He's also an excellent wrap up tackler who never misses when he's in position. Take a look at the game last year against Miami to see his potential in the right scheme, he was all over the place.

As a prospect though, its such an interesting situation because who knows how long he'll play football. Depending on how he works out I think he'll get drafted in the later rounds.

yourfavestoner
05-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Dude wasn't very good to begin with. A year off of football certainly isn't going to help.

Late round-undrafted material.

YAYareaRB
05-28-2009, 08:30 PM
He's the hardest hitting Brain surgeon on this earth.

Texas Homer
05-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Depends on how he does at the combine.

Maybe 4th round.

scar988
05-28-2009, 08:50 PM
I think it could be a good to see how he does at the combine and I think he should be invited to the East-West and Senior bowl games, but right now, I wouldn't take him before the 7th. He wasn't that impressive when I saw him. that being said, he's the kind of guy you take a flyer on, bring him to TC and see if he can really learn and develop quickly.

underscore
05-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Lower. He's obviously not committed to football. No one wants to spend a 3rd rounder or up on a guy who might bolt in 5 years for medical school.

Especially when the average NFL career is 3.5 years

Paranoidmoonduck
05-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Are we even sure he's going to enter the draft at all? The Rhodes Scholar experience certainly doesn't discourage academia and unless he's sure he's going to be a high pick, the other road looks way smarter.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-28-2009, 11:14 PM
He's the hardest hitting Brain surgeon on this earth.
LOL!!

No doubt.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Are we even sure he's going to enter the draft at all? The Rhodes Scholar experience certainly doesn't discourage academia and unless he's sure he's going to be a high pick, the other road looks way smarter.

Academically, coming out of HS Myron Rolle could have played Ivy league football, or gone to a school like Stanford, Northwestern or Vanderbilt.

IMO, Rolle chose FSU because he dreamed about playing in the NFL. I bet he still does.

If you've got that itch for the game, I doubt anything can take it away, even a Rhodes scholarship, other than being cut by some team.

If he returns to FSU, he's going to enter the draft and try to live the dream.

nyqua
05-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Academically, coming out of HS Myron Rolle could have played Ivy league football, or gone to a school like Stanford, Northwestern or Vanderbilt.

IMO, Rolle chose FSU because he dreamed about playing in the NFL. I bet he still does.

If you've got that itch for the game, I doubt anything can take it away, even a Rhodes scholarship, other than being cut by some team.

If he returns to FSU, he's going to enter the draft and try to live the dream.

He went to FSU because they recruited him based on academics. When he visited they had him meet with tons of professors and told him all about their academics. That's why he went there.

yourfavestoner
05-29-2009, 03:54 AM
He went to FSU because they recruited him based on academics. When he visited they had him meet with tons of professors and told him all about their academics. That's why he went there.

I don't even know what to say to this post.

Big_Pete
05-29-2009, 05:25 AM

Everything I have heard about Rolle, including what he has said indicate he is heading to the draft next year.

He seems to be working out in Florida with Santonio Holmes and trainer Tom Shaw

from http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-rollerhodes052609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Paranoidmoonduck
05-29-2009, 05:59 AM
Everything I have heard about Rolle, including what he has said indicate he is heading to the draft next year.

He seems to be working out in Florida with Santonio Holmes and trainer Tom Shaw

from http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-rollerhodes052609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

In that case, he's probably got a legitimate shot at the second round, although him going that high would sort of surprise me.

ammandss
05-29-2009, 09:56 AM

Just because they tried to appease his interest in academics does not mean that FSU is even close to on par with Ivys and those other schools. As they say, FSU grads put their diplomas on their windshield so they can park in handicapped spots.

BuddyCHRIST
05-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Just because they tried to appease his interest in academics does not mean that FSU is even close to on par with Ivys and those other schools. As they say, FSU grads put their diplomas on their windshield so they can park in handicapped spots.

I don't know if you were trying to be funny but you come off sounding like a moron, I'm not going to compare FSU to an ivy league school but it's an excellent school. First off academic rankings are crap because they are 90% based on the type of research the professors do, which has very little to do with the education anyone receives. And anyways FSU has great science departments where lots of important research has been done (one of the biggest anti-cancer drugs Taxol was first synthesized there) they have one of the fastest rising brand new medical schools, their law school has been rising and is on par with UF now.

I'm an FSU grad and am now in medical school and was thoroughly prepared by the education I received at FSU, little different than putting it in my windshield.

CC.SD
05-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Potential Rhodes Scholars don't go to FSU based solely on the academic program. I don't know what else to add. Fail, maybe?

Nothing personal. Football was incredibly obviously a bigger factor in his scholastic choices.

/\Need to run that last sentence by Sniper.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-29-2009, 03:48 PM
When someone says FSU is not on par with the Ivys, IMO they're referring to the student population and the admission requirements, not the academic departments or course offerings.

Think of FSU's student body like a bell curve; at the beginning there's a group of truly brilliant, academically gifted students who would have excelled at any school in the country, towards the peak of the curve is the majority student body - conscientous hard-working serious students, most of whom graduated in the top quarter to one-third of their HS, the majority of which would be able to graduate from any university in the country based solely on work ethic alone; at the bottom of the curve are those indivduals who you wonder how did John Doe even end up at the same school as me?

The difference between a school like FSU and say Dartmouth, or Yale, is that curve is much flatter - most of the students who would be at the beginning of FSU's bell curve would be more representative of the overall student body at an Ivy.

FSU tried to sell Myron Rolle on their academics, but he'd already been offered a football scholarship by the football program. The point was to let him see he could challenge himself academically at FSU as much as he could at any higher institution of learning.

FSU is still a good school, and if they were total dogs academically, Rolle I'm sure would have gone somewhere else to play football.

Realistically, from a statistical standpoint, not every great student can go to the Ivys because there's more students than slots.

But that doesn't mean there aren't several dozen great colleges and universities where a student can 'max' out; by that I mean a school which can thoroughly prepare a student to pursue his/her academic and professional ambitions.

For the most part, a biology major is a biology major.
An electrical engineer is an electrical engineer.

The biggest difference is the overall student body/ college atmosphere.

Sniper
07-21-2009, 08:03 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/acc/0-6-312/Rolle-s-most-amazing-accomplishment-yet.html

Former FSU safety Myron Rolle and his family today announced plans to build the Myron L. Rolle Medical Clinic and Sports Complex, in Steventon, Exuma in the Bahamas, where his parents are from.

The complex will provide free health services to residents of Exuma, as well as a state-of-the-art wellness and training facilities for athletes and visitors to Exuma, Bahamas. It will be the third clinic on the island, and greatly increase the resources and equipment.

"It's really pertinent, because the people of Exuma, if there is something really serious happening to them, medically, at night especially, and they have to catch a flight to Nassau, the main island, it's very inconvenient, and a lot of people can't afford that flight," Rolle said, in a telephone interview this afternoon after his ceremony. "A lot of times that may be the difference between their life being saved or not, that time gap. So I think this is going to be a special project."

More in the article...

iowatreat54
07-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Myron Rolle is awesome. Now one of my favorite athletes ever.

HoopsDemon12
07-31-2009, 01:17 PM
I think he could be a solid but not to flashy guy in the league. I wouldn't spend more than a 5th rounder on him though. Have to give him props, guy has his life and priorities in order.

mellojello
07-31-2009, 08:46 PM
This guy is my hero. He's basically a model citizen. Athletically gifted, yet brilliant. You couldn't be more proud if you were a parent. He will have to choose between a career in sports or medicine as both require 100% dedication. If he goes to the NFL, I don't care where he is drafted, I will be a loyal fan. Someone as ambitious, intelligent, and hard working as he is, there is no doubt that success is bound to follow.

Sniper
08-22-2009, 09:47 AM
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/08/21/for-myron-rolle-all-rhodes-still-lead-to-nfl-philanthropy/

Saints-Tigers
08-22-2009, 04:02 PM
What a bastard. Proof there is no God, some guys just get all the talent :(

I will not be a fan until he philanthropizes and buys me a big house.

In all seriousness though, wonderful guy, would love to root for this guy on my team, or any team for that matter. Looks like he's going to make the world a better place and do his part, no matter which career path he chooses.

Put me down as a big Rolle fan.

YAYareaRB
08-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah Definitely.. I wish I could make as much as an impact as him in the world.

nicker
08-25-2009, 04:19 PM
When someone says FSU is not on par with the Ivys, IMO they're referring to the student population and the admission requirements, not the academic departments or course offerings.

Think of FSU's student body like a bell curve; at the beginning there's a group of truly brilliant, academically gifted students who would have excelled at any school in the country, towards the peak of the curve is the majority student body - conscientous hard-working serious students, most of whom graduated in the top quarter to one-third of their HS, the majority of which would be able to graduate from any university in the country based solely on work ethic alone; at the bottom of the curve are those indivduals who you wonder how did John Doe even end up at the same school as me?

The difference between a school like FSU and say Dartmouth, or Yale, is that curve is much flatter - most of the students who would be at the beginning of FSU's bell curve would be more representative of the overall student body at an Ivy.

FSU tried to sell Myron Rolle on their academics, but he'd already been offered a football scholarship by the football program. The point was to let him see he could challenge himself academically at FSU as much as he could at any higher institution of learning.

FSU is still a good school, and if they were total dogs academically, Rolle I'm sure would have gone somewhere else to play football.

Realistically, from a statistical standpoint, not every great student can go to the Ivys because there's more students than slots.

But that doesn't mean there aren't several dozen great colleges and universities where a student can 'max' out; by that I mean a school which can thoroughly prepare a student to pursue his/her academic and professional ambitions.

For the most part, a biology major is a biology major.
An electrical engineer is an electrical engineer.

The biggest difference is the overall student body/ college atmosphere.

I agree with what you're saying, I think. But if you're saying that "statistically" he couldn't have gone to an IVY league school. That's ridiculous. First of all. He was a good enough recruit to go to FSU to play football. That right there tells me he could have played football at some IVY league school. Then, he won the Rhodes Scholar at FSU. That tells me he was smart enough to go to an Ivy league school. And Lastly, even if he was a little bit below what they were looking for in football but still managed to meet the qualifications of an IVY league school (which he clearly does) he would be a shoe in. Haven't you heard of affirmative action?

so basically what I'm saying is that he didn't go to FSU because he wanted to challenge himself academically or because he couldn't get into an IVY league school. He clearly went because he wanted to play football. And if you think differently I don't know what else I can say.

but besides all that. I think He's a great player and has decent athletic ability and strong leadership and would be a great player for the right team, maybe a cover 2 defense like my Bears deploy, Reminds me of Mike Brown

espfootball92
08-25-2009, 10:18 PM
I think he never reached his football potential was because he was more dedicated to his studies than onto the football field. Like others have said, if he put the same amount of effort into his football career as he did into his studies, he would be a stud.

I don't think thats the attitude that should be conveyed to student-athletes. I feel he should be commended for excelling academically and setting himself up for a lengthy medical career, while being a solid football player at the highest level of collegiate sports in the process.

mqtirishfan
08-26-2009, 12:20 AM
I don't think thats the attitude that should be conveyed to student-athletes. I feel he should be commended for excelling academically and setting himself up for a lengthy medical career, while being a solid football player at the highest level of collegiate sports in the process.

I don't think anyone is condemning him for his commitment to academics. However, in terms of his potential as a football player, the sentiment is probably true. His priorities were in order, it just wasn't conducive to his success in football.