PDA

View Full Version : Childress installing Wildcat formation into playbook

Crazy_Chris
05-30-2009, 04:41 PM
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Just as I arrived at Minnesota's second day of minicamp, fashionably late after skipping the stretching portion, I saw the Vikings' offense in a decidedly unfamiliar formation.

Rookie Percy Harvin was lined up as a shotgun quarterback. Sage Rosenfels was split out wide.

What?

Yep. The Wildcat.

I've spent most of the past month believing there was no way that coach Brad Childress would consent to such a trendy formation, even after the Vikings' decision to draft Harvin -- an ideal fit for the Wildcat -- in the first round. Childress is a traditional, meat-and-potatoes offensive coach who never embraced the formation as it became fashionable last season.

But the Wildcat was in plain sight Saturday morning. Harvin, tailback Chester Taylor and receiver Darius Reynaud were all rotating in the quarterback role. You can only imagine how dangerous this could be when defenses follow tailback Adrian Peterson wherever he goes.

"I like [the Wildcat]," Peterson said. "You've got guys out there: Percy Harvin, Bernard Berrian, Chester, me and the quarterbacks. When you get the majority of those guys on the field you really can create some things."

This is the time of year when teams experiment with their schemes, and there is no guarantee the Vikings will use the Wildcat in 2009. But I give Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell some credit for dusting off their playbook to maximize the skill players on their roster. (And make no mistake. Harvin is a good fit for the Wildcat, but so is Taylor. Using Taylor would eliminate one of the biggest pet peeves of the Black and Blue blog: Not getting him on the field with Peterson enough.)

On draft day, according to Bevell, Childress asked for a package of plays that would utilize Harvin's unique open-field running ability.

Bevell estimated he drew up a list of 20-30 plays. Half of them are totally new to the offense, Bevell said.

"We're up there trying to diagram everything we can," Bevell said. "We're looking at things we do. We're looking at things other teams have done."

I don't mean this to sound patronizing, but this really is a big step for the Vikings' offense. Many of us have wondered if the Vikings would just assimilate Harvin into the structure of their established offense. But it appears they might use Harvin's arrival as a catalyst for mixing things up in a broader way.

"Fortunately for us," said defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, "I'll be watching other teams try to defend [Harvin] and Adrian. And good luck to those defenses. We're fortunate that he's here."

A few quick hitters before I check out:

•Veteran Ryan Cook worked at right tackle with the first team Saturday after rookie Phil Loadholt handled that role Friday. You would expect that rotation to continue into training camp.
•Many of you have asked about the competition between Tarvaris Jackson and Rosenfels. I'm always hesitant to draw conclusions based on minicamp practices. I can tell you they're rotating with the first team on a fairly equal basis. Rosenfels looked sharp Saturday morning.
•Peterson said he has dropped his body fat down to six percent this offseason and currently weighs 216 pounds. That's actually two pounds less than where he played last season, but Peterson said he plans to add a few more before training camp. Regardless, it's highly unlikely Peterson will reach the 230-pound level he predicted earlier this offseason.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-11-126/A-significant-wrinkle-in-Minnesota.htm

Crazy_Chris
05-30-2009, 04:44 PM
On draft day, according to Bevell, Childress asked for a package of plays that would utilize Harvin's unique open-field running ability.

Bevell estimated he drew up a list of 20-30 plays. Half of them are totally new to the offense, Bevell said.

Maybe childress will utiize Harvin as he is should be. It's still undetermined how much he will use these plays and formations. But this is encouraging news that Percy Harvins talents won't be completely wasted by Brad Childress

DT35
05-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Tarvaris should have been lined up at reciever.

The Dynasty
05-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Im all for using the Wildcat. Anything that is a little different I am all for. Anything is better than the couple plays he runs.

Crazy_Chris
05-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Im all for using the Wildcat. Anything that is a little different I am all for. Anything is better than the couple plays he runs.

I am not so excited about the Wildcat because I'm not so sure it will be as effective of an formation now that defenses have some film to stratigize against it. However I don't think any of the teams that used it last seson had as many explosive player as Peterson, Harvin, and Berrian in the formation. I am just glad that Childress is begining to use his imagination. I completely agree with you anything a little different is awesome for the Vikings.

GB12
05-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I am not so excited about the Wildcat because I'm not so sure it will be as effective of an formation now that defenses have some film to stratigize against it. However I don't think any of the teams that used it last seson had as many explosive player as Peterson, Harvin, and Berrian in the formation. I am just glad that Childress is begining to use his imagination. I completely agree with you anything a little different is awesome for the Vikings.
By copying other teams?

The Dynasty
05-30-2009, 05:20 PM
By copying other teams?

Isnt that how everything pretty much is in the NFL? One team has success at it so other teams copy it to hope for the same success.

Crazy_Chris
05-30-2009, 05:30 PM
By copying other teams?Isnt that how everything pretty much is in the NFL? One team has success at it so other teams copy it to hope for the same success.

Exactly, I really don't understand why it's called the wild cat and the dolphins get credit. They just copied the Wild Hog from Arkansas and brought it to the NFL.

Edit: Even though he is copying at the end of last season even before the draft who would of thought Conservative Brad Chilldress would even think about adding something like the Wildcat?

marshallb
05-30-2009, 09:38 PM
I love this, not necessarily that we'd be using the wildcat as I agree that defenses will likely catch on, and get used to it and be better equipped and more ready to stop it. The reason that I like it is that they have added new plays and are using Harvin all over the place, in the backfield, out wide, in the slot, at QB, etc.

vikes_28
05-31-2009, 12:42 AM
if we use it, Tavaris Jackson has to be the qb. Sage Rosenfels is fat and slow.

General Zod
05-31-2009, 11:40 AM
This makes me nervous.

You know when your dad hits his mid-life crisis. And he tries to act all young and cool, but basically its a 45 year old man trying to act like a 20 year old. And its usually a big fail and pretty embarassing. This is what I think of when I picture Childress trying to do a wildcat type offense. Childress is so predictable and vanilla with his offense. I dont know, wait and see I guess. Interesting that Darius Reynaud seems to be involved a lot.

B-rand
05-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Exactly, I really don't understand why it's called the wild cat and the dolphins get credit. They just copied the Wild Hog from Arkansas and brought it to the NFL.

Edit: Even though he is copying at the end of last season even before the draft who would of thought Conservative Brad Chilldress would even think about adding something like the Wildcat?

Didn't Tarvaris spend some time at Arkansas? So he should be familiar with this style already.

I don't see this being used very frequently. However, Chilly has actually had some success with his trick plays he's actually used, partially because he uses them so sparingly. The Sidney Rice pass to Shiancoe that went for like 80 yards, the Chester sweep pass near the end zone for a TD....If these are implemented with and explosive Harvin at the right times, I see them being effective, but if they are overused I doubt it'll be what we want it to be.

brat316
05-31-2009, 11:10 PM
Line Tjak up at WR and throw him the ball/lateral and make him throw it...I don't think Pennington did that last year.

Crazy_Chris
06-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Didn't Tarvaris spend some time at Arkansas? So he should be familiar with this style already.

I don't see this being used very frequently. However, Chilly has actually had some success with his trick plays he's actually used, partially because he uses them so sparingly. The Sidney Rice pass to Shiancoe that went for like 80 yards, the Chester sweep pass near the end zone for a TD....If these are implemented with and explosive Harvin at the right times, I see them being effective, but if they are overused I doubt it'll be what we want it to be.

I am about 90% sure Tarvaris was there and gone well before they implemented the Wild Hog.

The Dynasty
06-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Tarvaris left Arkansas pretty early because he wasn't going to get a shot becuase of Matt Jones..How sad is that he couldn't beat out Matt Jones. But anyways, im perfectly fine with them using it with Harvin, he should excel in that.

The_Dude
06-01-2009, 10:48 PM
I am also in favor of this. Anything to mix it up and get our best players out on the field at the same time.

We'll just have to see how often the Little General chooses to use this.