PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Harrison Announces Retirement

bored of education
06-02-2009, 07:31 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/06/harrison_to_ret.html

A very ok player over the last 8 years. Overrated in my opinion and is one of the biggest ***** in the hsitory of the game. Mr. I will Egg someone on by hitting then while not loooking while they are out of bounds.

solid career though. HoFer, I hope not.

Nalej
06-02-2009, 07:35 PM
It's sad to have it official but I think everyone expected this since he went down.
Especially after the Pats have added so much depth to Safety as well- it was obvious they were moving on.

HOFer, IMO. He'll be missed.

CC.SD
06-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Adios Rodney. You were a bad, bad man. One of my all time favorite Bolts.

Thumper
06-02-2009, 07:39 PM
He is one of the players who over the course of their careers helped redefine the safety spot. Harrison along with Dawkins, Lynch, Reed, Polamalu and Sanders will all have great shots at the HOF because they revolutionized the safety spot. They made it so that a safety was not a lable as to what a player could not do but a lable that says, they can do it all.

Harrison has great career numbers. 1000+ tackles, 30+ sacks, 30+ interceptions and 16 forced fumbles.

bored of education
06-02-2009, 07:41 PM
he is a tier 2 safety his whole career but thats me. Plus he was on teams i never liked so i hated him more lol

yourfavestoner
06-02-2009, 07:45 PM
he is a tier 2 safety his whole career but thats me. Plus he was on teams i never liked so i hated him more lol

Dude constantly made big plays in key moments, though. Especially for the Pats.

Gay Ork Wang
06-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Sub4YQhjeaM

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
06-02-2009, 07:50 PM
One of my favorite players to watch for a while. He would take your head off.
9WPQzqLib9Y&feature=related

CC.SD
06-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Dude constantly made big plays in key moments, though. Especially for the Pats.

Difficult to argue against Rodney's big playness. I wonder how many bills he cost himself overall with the penalties, 15k at a time.
Spygate, HGH? The Pat years feature some raised eyebrows...jk

Don Vito
06-02-2009, 08:30 PM
He was a gamechanger and a great leader for us over the last few years. Say what you want about him but he was the heart and sould of our team and one of the biggest factors in our success, I see him making an impact as a coach at some point.

Xonraider
06-02-2009, 08:31 PM
This has nothing to do with the topic... but Gawd I hate this part of the offseason. Absolutely nothing is happening.

CC.SD
06-02-2009, 08:59 PM
This has nothing to do with the topic... but Gawd I hate this part of the offseason. Absolutely nothing is happening.

Someone else will get busted for something soon enough.

Shahin
06-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Sub4YQhjeaM

that wasn't really his fault..

The Great Jonathan Vilma
06-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Easily one of my all-time favorite players - strictly as a Charger, he certainly went down a notch in my books by playing for the Pats.

niel89
06-02-2009, 10:13 PM
I personally dont like the guy. I think that he isnt HoF. Between his reputation for dirty play and his suspension for HGH, I dont see him as a HoF. I havent seen enough of his play to honestly answer this, but would you guys consider him to be at the top of his position for this era?

Harrison was voted the "dirtiest player" in the NFL by his peers according to a 2004 poll conducted by Sports Illustrated. In 2006, Harrison once again topped the "dirtiest player" voting by 361 other NFL players. In 2008, NFL coaches awarded the title to Harrison in an anonymous 2008 poll conducted by ESPN. Harrison has also been fined and suspended multiple times, and as of 2002, had racked up over $200,000 in fines by the NFL. A notable suspension occurred in 2002 after a helmet-to-helmet hit on the Oakland Raiders' Jerry Rice.

He is the NFL's all-time leader in personal foul penalties

Not sure on that last bit, there is no source given so take it with a grain of salt.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
06-03-2009, 12:07 AM
It's harder than hell for safeties to make the HOF period, no matter how good Harrison was.

Besides the fact he played in an era of elite safeties, his rep for being a borderline dirty player, including the bust for HGH may hurt him in the eyes of some voters.

Harrison reminds me of Ty Law, in that when they were in their prime, they were one of the league's best at their position, but since they've gotten older their reputation has faded in the minds of many fans.

Matter of fact, I think Law has a better shot at the HOF than Harrison, but both are far from sure locks.

Harrison is one of those dudes you loved if he was on your team, but just the opposite if he wore an opponent's jersey.

Difficult to argue there were many safeties better than him over the course of his career, I just have this feeling more than a few Pats will be shut out of Canton when they finally retire.

Matthew Jones
06-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Gonna miss him. I figured this was a foregone conclusion once the Patriots started picking up tons of safeties this offseason, but I still would have liked to have seen him back. Good luck in the future! Hopefully a Hall of Famer.

BlindSite
06-03-2009, 03:16 AM
He wasn't a great safety, but like has been mentioned he helped revolutionise the position, taking it from "there" to being a weapon for the defense and realistically he deserves some credit for that, his ability in the run game and the often overlooked impact he had on team chemistry.

Staubach12
06-03-2009, 03:20 AM
I wouldn't put him in the hall. He simply wasn't great and he was dirty as hell. Good player though and he was a forerunner of the Adrian Wilsons of today. I won't miss him but he will be missed.

AntoinCD
06-03-2009, 03:26 AM
He'll definitely but I think his play had gone down a notch in the last two years anyway. Despite having a reputation of being a dirty player(which in my opinion could be used for a lot of safeties, cough,cough Brian Dawkins) he should go to the Hall of Fame. While he won't be up there with Ed Reed and Polamalu etc he is still I think the only person with 30 sacks and 30 ints and his playoff interceptions are up there as well. The fact is the guy made big plays when they counted. Plus I loved watching him because he set a tone for the entire defense

CC.SD
06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Matter of fact, I think Law has a bette shot at the HOF than Harrison, but both are far from sure locks.

Law should definitely make the Hall, he's as responsible as anyone for those 3 Super Bowls.

ChezPower4
06-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Easily one of my all-time favorite players - strictly as a Charger, he certainly went down a notch in my books by playing for the Pats.

Took the words right out of my mouth sir, could not cheer for him in a Pats uniform.