PDA

View Full Version : The NFL is one step closer to those crazy Euros....

BeerBaron
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/03/league-quietly-allows-practice-jersey-sponsorships/
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/03/titans-already-have-practice-jersey-deal/

Well, the league has decided to allow teams to sell sponsor space onto their practice jerseys and the Titans have already take them up on that ability.

Probably only a matter of time until it moves onto the game day jerseys and every inch of the uniform is covered with ads like soccer.......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/BeerBaron/jersey.jpg

ugghhh....I for one and all for keeping sponsors off of jerseys.

Malaka
06-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't care. Business is business you can't argue that...

Brothgar
06-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Eh Practice jerseys aren't really a problem IMHO. If it ever crosses to game jerseys I'll be angry.

the decider13
06-03-2009, 10:39 AM
I actually like the sponsers on jerseys. It's all over the world too. The one you are showing is a little over the top haha

http://www.tokodaku.com/user/3/shop/12345/images/cheljers.jpg
http://www.prosport.ca/images/ACM%20H%2007-08.jpg

Still really nice looking jerseys

Brothgar
06-03-2009, 10:40 AM
I actually like the sponsers on jerseys. It's all over the world too. The one you are showing is a little over the top haha

pics

Yeah but comeon the advert logo is like 10x bigger than the team logo

BeerBaron
06-03-2009, 10:43 AM
If it were up to me there'd never be anything on the game day jerseys other than the number, name and team logo.

I would get incredibly annoyed with sponsors all over them....Even that big shoulder logo on the Titan's practice jersey it shows would drive me nuts if it were on a game day jersey.

the decider13
06-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Yeah but comeon the advert logo is like 10x bigger than the team logo

True...I identify a lot of teams by their sponsers because their logos are so tiny. If the NFL jerseys had little sponser patches, I wouldn't really mind. Business is business.

Gay Ork Wang
06-03-2009, 10:46 AM
u get used to it, i hardly notice those sponsors.

FlyingElvis
06-03-2009, 11:16 AM
The day they allow ads on game jerseys will be the last day I ever consider buying a jersey.

Guess I should stock up on the ones I want now.

AntoinCD
06-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I really don't understand all the problems with this. Firstly its only practice jerseys and secondly look at the names of the stadiums. Gillette Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, Heinz Field etc. When you compare that with soccer stadiums like Old Trafford, Anfield, Camp Nou etc. If there are complaints over jerseys then surely there should be complaints over stadiums

BeerBaron
06-03-2009, 11:27 AM
I really don't understand all the problems with this. Firstly its only practice jerseys and secondly look at the names of the stadiums. Gillette Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, Heinz Field etc. When you compare that with soccer stadiums like Old Trafford, Anfield, Camp Nou etc. If there are complaints over jerseys then surely there should be complaints over stadiums

It's not the practice jerseys I care about.....but this is the first step towards an inevitable move towards putting them on game day jerseys.....

Many years from now when your watching NFL Films classic games or something with your kids or grandkids, do you really want to look back and see today's great players with "Honda" and "Sony" written all over them? I don't.....

Yatta!
06-03-2009, 11:31 AM
It's gonna happen eventually. $20million a year for having a shirt sponsor - easy money.

Malaka
06-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't see the big deal, football is football and business is business, it shouldn't matter what is on your teams jerseys for all I care the Giants can wear a blank jersey with just a number, it shouldn't make a difference whats on the jersey its watching the game that matters.

TimD
06-03-2009, 11:44 AM
http://www.jatkoaika.com/albumit/albun78/ville_leino_jokerit.jpg

I don't mind it at all.

Gay Ork Wang
seriously though, ull never notice them after a couple of games. it really took me a couple of seconds to even realize that there was a samsung AD on the chelsea jersey. true story

CashmoneyDrew
Those Baptist Sports patches have been on the Titans practice uniforms for forever. Well, maybe not forever, but they've been on there for the last couple of years at least while I was at training camp.

AntoinCD
06-03-2009, 11:45 AM
It's not the practice jerseys I care about.....but this is the first step towards an inevitable move towards putting them on game day jerseys.....

Many years from now when your watching NFL Films classic games or something with your kids or grandkids, do you really want to look back and see today's great players with "Honda" and "Sony" written all over them? I don't.....

Lol the Patriots have to have first dibs on Sony. No I don't particularly want to see that on them but I don't want the thing being against sponsorship on jerseys by itself. I mean looking back do you really want to see this

http://www.iaam.org/Facility_manager/Pages/2007_Apr_May/issueart/big_pix_2.jpg

**No disrespect meant to Steelers fans but just the easiest example

FlyingElvis
06-03-2009, 11:49 AM
It's a general issue I have with advertising. I'm already sick of the "sell every square inch of visible space" mentality both here and abroad.

No problem with the practice jersey. No issue with the stadiums either. Mostly b/c I have never considered buying and wearing a stadium. ;)

Gillette doesn't pay me to advertise for them, therefore I have no interest in buying a Patriots jersey painted up w/ads for razors.

AntoinCD
06-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Gillette doesn't pay me to advertise for them, therefore I have no interest in buying a Patriots jersey painted up w/ads for razors.

True but they do pay the Patriots. It would interesting to see if any team in the NFL didn't have a sponsorship on their jerseys if it were allowed similar to what Barcelona did in soccer before they put Unicef on their shirts for charity

XxXdragonXxX
06-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Cant wait for a team to be named after their sponsor, like the New York Red Bulls in MLS.

Malaka
06-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Cant wait for a team to be named after their sponsor, like the New York Red Bulls in MLS.

I think thats the only case in any professional sports team in North America, I am not sure though, but I think the NY Red Bulls are the only ones named after their sponsor.

AntoinCD
06-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Lol the Patriots have to have first dibs on Sony.

Come on now tell me this doesn't look good lol

http://i41.tinypic.com/243gw45.jpg

Staubach12
06-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I hate this... If there's an ad on a game jersey, I will never buy a jersey again and I would be seriously pissed. I don't mind them on practice jerseys, just don't allow it to come into the game.

XxXdragonXxX
06-03-2009, 12:19 PM
I think thats the only case in any professional sports team in North America, I am not sure though, but I think the NY Red Bulls are the only ones named after their sponsor.

Yeah I was sorta joking. They're named that because Red Bull bought the team. They did the same with Jaguar Racing and Minardi in F1 (Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Torro Rosso now.) And also some Austrian soccer and hockey team. And they started a Nascar team...

We'll just have to hope Red Bull doesnt buy the Rams.

Yatta!
06-03-2009, 12:20 PM
http://www.azcardinals.com/nm_files/Image/NFL%20Europe/robinsonrecord.jpg

It doesn't look that bad, everyone would get used to it quickly.

BuddyCHRIST
06-03-2009, 12:49 PM
I honestly don't care either way and this is how you know its the offseason, when people get worked up over this kind of stuff. Everyone would get use to it pretty quickly and it is business, its not like words on a jersey affect the game thats played.

Mr. Hero
06-03-2009, 01:29 PM
I guess I'm used to it since I've been a soccer fan since early childhood, but ads on jerseys really wouldn't bug me much.

TitleTown088
06-03-2009, 01:44 PM

Speak for yourselves Euros. ;)

I don't want my beloved Packers being the instrument of advertisement.. Keep it out of here during the season. This is 'Merica.

YAYareaRB
06-03-2009, 01:49 PM
I would only agree to it if we were allowed to change the colors of the logos.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
06-03-2009, 01:49 PM
I guess I'm used to it since I've been a soccer fan since early childhood, but ads on jerseys really wouldn't bug me much.

Although I haven't been a soccer fan since early childhood I have been watching it for a long time now and it doesn't bother me so I am sure it wouldn't bother me in football.

The Unseen
06-03-2009, 02:01 PM
It wouldn't bother me too much...but of all leagues, why would the NFL need to put ads on its team's jerseys? I get the feeling that the NFL is the most financially successful sports league out there. Everyone's going through an economic down-turn, including the NFL, but I'd kinda expect this from the NHL, not the NFL.

vikes_28
06-03-2009, 02:11 PM
I probably wouldnt ever buy a jersey again. But the fact that there are ads on the jerseys wouldn't bother me. Its not like it has an impact on how the game is played.

Stash
06-03-2009, 02:19 PM
It's just the practice jersey for now, not a problem until they wind up on a gameday jersey. That would be pretty lame.

TitanHope
06-03-2009, 02:51 PM
As Voodoo alluded to, Baptist Sports Medicine is the facility the Titans use for health and rehab treatment. It's more of a partnership than a sponsor, and those patches have been on the practice uni's for years.

Way to do your homework PFT.

OneToughGame
06-03-2009, 02:54 PM
If they do ever put them on game day jerseys I just hope they can keep them small. Like the reebok logos on the sides.

GB12
06-03-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't see the big deal, football is football and business is business, it shouldn't matter what is on your teams jerseys for all I care the Giants can wear a blank jersey with just a number, it shouldn't make a difference whats on the jersey its watching the game that matters.Well that's probably because they do.
http://i2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/849/014/11/S35hRBjRAOwqKgj.jpg

Bengalsrocket
06-03-2009, 05:08 PM
I don't mind it at all :)

Also, would this effect jersey prices at all? If it had a bunch of logos all over them, you think those companies would want people to buy those jerseys so they can basically turn into walking billboards. Furthermore, don't you think they would sell jerseys without the logos?

Paul
06-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Could the extra revenue mean cheaper tickets? I'd take that trade off.

CC.SD
06-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Well that's probably because they do.
http://i2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/849/014/11/S35hRBjRAOwqKgj.jpg

Factually owned.

Even if the jerseys had ads on the field, they wouldn't put them on the ones they sell to the public. That would be unnecessary and seriously detrimental.

Yatta!
06-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Been thinking about this a bit more and I think it may be a bit further away than we're making out. I doubt that the NFL lets each team find their own sponsor because of the revenue sharing agreements in place.

Obviously the big market, high profile franchises would command bigger sponsorship deals. The league wouldn't allow those teams to gain a competitive financial advantage. Similarly the NFL is not gonna find 32 companies willing to pay the same sponsorship deal when some will end up on the jerseys of lower profile franchises. Therefore I think one league wide sponsor is perhaps a more likely scenario, something like Skoda and NFL Europe. Problem is that a league wide deal would probably command around a $300-350million deal a year, based on what the top soccer clubs are bringing in. The question would be who is willing to pay that price?

BlindSite
06-03-2009, 07:03 PM
That's an australian rugby league jersey and after a while you don't really notice it.

I also find it kind of funny that you're worried about logos on a uniform ruining the tradition of the game, but you don't seem so outraged that when watching monday night football I can watch 20 minutes of coverage and only see:

ad break
kick off
return
ad break
series
punt
ad break

About 2 mins of coverage and 10 mins of advertising, it's even worse if a team is going to go for a field goal and it's almost the end of the quarter.

If it meant the NFL stopped stopping games for TV advertising which is a major pain in ass I'd be all for calling my team the "campbell soup carolina panthers"

Kurve
06-03-2009, 07:04 PM

How does that not look bad that looks like one huge collage!

stephenson86
06-03-2009, 07:39 PM
it looks right on football jerseys i think (soccer) but i think the way its done mostly makes teams look tacky and like they cant afford to get proper jerseys

Bucs_Rule
06-03-2009, 07:49 PM

When I first looked at those I thought those were the team names.

Nalej
06-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm not a fan of soccer jerseys... so no- I'm not a fan of the idea of doing the same to the NFL.
Practice jerseys aren't an issue but it's just one step closer to game day jerseys.

Smokey Joe
06-03-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm not a big fan of much the NFL is doing these days. Moving the probowl to the week before the superbowl??? Wanting to play a superbowl in Europe???

If teams want to sell their jersey's for ad space, let them. I won't care unless the Bears start doing that.

FlyingElvis
06-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Could the extra revenue mean cheaper tickets? I'd take that trade off.
bwahahahahahahahaaa

[catches breath]

bwahahahahahahahaaa

you're funny.

;)

FlyingElvis
06-04-2009, 12:06 PM
I don't mind it at all :)

Also, would this effect jersey prices at all? If it had a bunch of logos all over them, you think those companies would want people to buy those jerseys so they can basically turn into walking billboards. Furthermore, don't you think they would sell jerseys without the logos?

Factually owned.

Even if the jerseys had ads on the field, they wouldn't put them on the ones they sell to the public. That would be unnecessary and seriously detrimental.

I know I would get used to it and accept it as long as I can still buy a jersey w/o extra ads on it.

But, like a few others have mentioned, that pic posted by Yatta! is atrocious. It looks like a low rent, bush league jersey used by a team a few bus trips away from bankruptcy.

rchrd
06-04-2009, 12:21 PM
That's an australian rugby league jersey and after a while you don't really notice it.

I also find it kind of funny that you're worried about logos on a uniform ruining the tradition of the game, but you don't seem so outraged that when watching monday night football I can watch 20 minutes of coverage and only see:

ad break
kick off
return
ad break
series
punt
ad break

About 2 mins of coverage and 10 mins of advertising, it's even worse if a team is going to go for a field goal and it's almost the end of the quarter.

If it meant the NFL stopped stopping games for TV advertising which is a major pain in ass I'd be all for calling my team the "campbell soup carolina panthers"

Ahmen brutha!

locseti
06-04-2009, 12:27 PM
The NFL will never put logos like that on their game jerseys, except maybe for the company that makes the jersey.

Sveen
06-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I don't like in soccer and I wouldn't like it in football. I understand the need for it, but aside from that it only ruins the jersey.

Iamcanadian
06-05-2009, 01:39 AM
I've watched pro football since the 50's and it wouldn't bother me one bit. When I occassionally watch a soccer game I hardly notice their ads and I'm sure it would be the same in football. Pro football is a business and they will do what they have to to raise their profits, that's reality folks. Sooner rather than later, Pro Baseball, Basketball and Hocky will go international, Football will be slower since few countries play the sport, but it will happen eventually.

Addict
06-05-2009, 06:23 AM
When I first looked at those I thought those were the team names.

with all due respect, but that's becuase you don't know jacksquat about soccer. Anyone with the most minimal of interests in soccer knows that those are the Chelsea and AC Milan jerseys. The design of the shirt is how soccer fans tell, not the logo.

keylime_5
06-05-2009, 10:46 AM
I think it's only a matter of time. The WNBA might just be the first stone taken from the damn in America. Europe's been doing it for a while. I hope I'm completely wrong on that one though, can't they just keep the sponsors in the commericals (remember, soccer games don't have commercial breaks and the WNBA no one watches on TV).

Gay Ork Wang
06-05-2009, 10:52 AM
I think it's only a matter of time. The WNBA might just be the first stone taken from the damn in America. Europe's been doing it for a while. I hope I'm completely wrong on that one though, can't they just keep the sponsors in the commericals (remember, soccer games don't have commercial breaks and the WNBA no one watches on TV).
ahh yea totally forgot about the no commercials in soccer games

Brent
06-05-2009, 11:04 AM
This is 'Merica.
I.e. the place where everyone has a price. Give it time, it's inevitable.

Addict
06-05-2009, 01:03 PM

well tbh I thought of this but it's a strange argument to use, since soccer games are pretty much non-stop 90 minutes, with one big break every 45 minutes. Essentially there's no room for commercial breaks. Football is very different since play stops fairly often.

That said the constant carpet bombing of commercials is annoying as all hell when watching any US sport.

Gay Ork Wang
06-05-2009, 01:06 PM
That said the constant carpet bombing of commercials is annoying as all hell when watching any US TV channel.
fixed it for you

Addict
06-05-2009, 05:40 PM
fixed it for you

thanks, you read my mind.

Poz51
06-08-2009, 12:39 PM

Personally I think those jerseys look like crap (****). Practice Jerseys I have no problem with, game jerseys would look horrible... Looking at these jerseys I cant tell if they are the Liverpool Samsung('s) or London Broil('s)... Is that the name of the team on the patch... Its tiny, and obsurd... Personally I would not wear anything with a sponsor on it...

Gay Ork Wang
06-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Personally I think those jerseys look like crap (****). Practice Jerseys I have no problem with, game jerseys would look horrible... Looking at these jerseys I cant tell if they are the Liverpool Samsung('s) or London Broil('s)... Is that the name of the team on the patch... Its tiny, and obsurd... Personally I would not wear anything with a sponsor on it...
thats because u know squadshit about soccer

Addict
06-08-2009, 12:45 PM

you know, when ridiculing something you can at least take the trouble to figure out who'se team it is. It's obviously not liverpool, since liverpool plays in red, with alternate jerseys being grey and green/black. Also their sponser is Carlsberg. This is a liverpool jersey:

http://www.soccerevolution.com/store/images/retail/_full/ADI_40180_A.jpeg

And you can say all you want but those shirts are pretty damn classic. The design is a modern twist on colors worn for years and even before there was a sponsor, there were no numbers or names on the front of the jersey, it was just colored according to the design. Really I don't see the problem, it's not like we need to be reminded what team we're watching (except the completely oblivious... I'm talking to you, Poz51).

You guys are overreacting these jerseys are beautiful. Sometimes, like in the scandinavian leagues especially, the sponsoring goes a bit overboard, but overall I think they look good. Numbers & names on the back, sponsor on teh front and the club emblem on the heart. Classy, simple, gorgeous.

Gay Ork Wang
06-08-2009, 12:48 PM
its not like anyone forgets who is playing or who he is playing for

Addict
06-08-2009, 12:50 PM
its not like anyone forgets who is playing or who he is playing for

exactly, it's not like they're ice hockey players...

dabears10
06-08-2009, 01:19 PM
I have no problem with advertising. The key is to keep it to team colors and the design. People have shown jerseys that have sponsors all over with contrasting design. I rarely, if ever, notice the ads on jerseys for soccer teams. The NFL teams will never have to have sponsors all over because they make a lot of money. You guys are showing jerseys from teams that are from lower leagues that have many ads. The big teams that make a lot of money only have one. It is not like the soccer jerseys had the team name across it before sponsors it was just empty space.

For people saying they have no idea what team a jersey is for, well you don't want to know anything about that team but look at the packers if they have anything on there jersey which says the team name or location.

Gay Ork Wang
06-08-2009, 01:22 PM
just like the bears. I get asked what team my jersey is for all the time in germany

Addict
06-08-2009, 01:35 PM
I have no problem with advertising. The key is to keep it to team colors and the design. People have shown jerseys that have sponsors all over with contrasting design. I rarely, if ever, notice the ads on jerseys for soccer teams. The NFL teams will never have to have sponsors all over because they make a lot of money. You guys are showing jerseys from teams that are from lower leagues that have many ads. The big teams that make a lot of money only have one. It is not like the soccer jerseys had the team name across it before sponsors it was just empty space.

For people saying they have no idea what team a jersey is for, well you don't want to know anything about that team but look at the packers if they have anything on there jersey which says the team name or location.

me neither. To illustrate your point, here's Barça's jersey with and without sponsors:
http://www.prosport.ca/images/06-07%20Barca%20home.gif
http://www.soccerevolution.com/store/images/retail/_hi_res/NIK_40240_A_big.jpg

and to illustrate how little differene a sponsorship makes: AC Milan home jersey through the years:

http://supportersbox.com/catalog/images/2005acmilanhomel.jpg
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/img/season_shirts/ac-milan-home-shirt-1989-to-1990-s_4572_1.jpg
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/img/season_shirts/ac-milan-home-shirt-1984-to-1985-s_4997_1.jpg
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/img/season_shirts/ac-milan-home-shirt-1983-to-1984-s_11050_1.jpg
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/img/season_shirts/ac-milan-home-shirt-1983-to-1984-s_4785_1.jpg

here's a real oldie, no sponsor:
http://www.oleole.com/media/main/images/wiki/thumb/8/82/AC_Milan_jersey.jpg/180px-AC_Milan_jersey.jpg

and here's the current:

as the critics can see: it really doesn't make much difference.

FlyingElvis
06-08-2009, 04:31 PM

Well, now . . . were a good brew to secure the rights and the jersey design look like this . . .

I might be interested in a "Rogue" Seahawks jersey . . . and a Sam Adams / NE Patriots match seems like a no-brainer . . . maybe even a "Yuengling" Iggles . . .

:D

CC.SD
06-08-2009, 04:49 PM

Well, now . . . were a good brew to secure the rights and the jersey design look like this . . .

I might be interested in a "Rogue" Seahawks jersey . . . and a Sam Adams / NE Patriots match seems like a no-brainer . . . maybe even a "Yuengling" Iggles . . .

:D

I wouldn't mind seeing a huge carne asada burrito insignia on a bolt jersey. Although a monster blunt is probably more appropriate. I do not support, endorse, or promote such activities. :D

AntoinCD
06-08-2009, 05:04 PM
What if the sponsors weren't as obvious as on soccer jerseys? Something like this

http://i41.tinypic.com/282p57c.jpg

Or if it was even smaller. Eventually it's going to happen and as long as the jerseys don't look like billboards then it's fine

nobodyinparticular
06-08-2009, 05:18 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/03/league-quietly-allows-practice-jersey-sponsorships/
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/03/titans-already-have-practice-jersey-deal/

Well, the league has decided to allow teams to sell sponsor space onto their practice jerseys and the Titans have already take them up on that ability.

Probably only a matter of time until it moves onto the game day jerseys and every inch of the uniform is covered with ads like soccer.......

If it means more revenue for the team (thus lower ticket prices), then I'm all for it. Let the big companies pay my way to the game.

Seamus2602
06-08-2009, 05:54 PM
People keep posting pictures of what it would look like with loads of Sponsors. Most jerseys will have one Sponsor.

http://i39.tinypic.com/103stnt.jpghttp://i40.tinypic.com/33n7zb8.jpghttp://i40.tinypic.com/27y3gr9.jpg

Addict
06-08-2009, 05:57 PM
People keep posting pictures of what it would look like with loads of Sponsors. Most jerseys will have one Sponsor.

http://i39.tinypic.com/103stnt.jpghttp://i40.tinypic.com/33n7zb8.jpghttp://i40.tinypic.com/27y3gr9.jpg

that actually loooks pretty cool...

06-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I like the look, as long as they keep it to just the one sponsor. Owners will always be looking to increase profit, especially with player salaries the way the way they are these days, and this is the next step. At the end of the day, it is a business. I have no problem with it at all.

Gay Ork Wang
06-08-2009, 06:17 PM
ha Peyton Manning with the CANON!

AntoinCD
06-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Lol the Jets sponsored by a car. What next the Texans sponsored by Kentucky Fried Chicken. Na but seriously they look good

thefalconer
06-08-2009, 09:03 PM

but the thing is with football, isn't it essential that there be numbers on both the front and back of the jerseys for both in-game purposes and other reasons? i agree they look much cleaner with just the sponsor on the front without a number but i don't think it will work..

Addict
06-08-2009, 09:20 PM
but the thing is with football, isn't it essential that there be numbers on both the front and back of the jerseys for both in-game purposes and other reasons? i agree they look much cleaner with just the sponsor on the front without a number but i don't think it will work..

why would that be useful? American football is the only sport to my knowlegde that uses both front and back numbers. Basketball, baseball, ice hockey, regular hockey, soccer even rugby all use back numbers exclusively.

alternately you could put he number on the legs, which are empty now. The jets could put a green number on those white pants, or even put the number between the reebok logo and the team logo, right in the middle.

dabears10
06-08-2009, 09:24 PM
why would that be useful? American football is the only sport to my knowlegde that uses both front and back numbers. Basketball, baseball, ice hockey, regular hockey, soccer even rugby all use back numbers exclusively.

alternately you could put he number on the legs, which are empty now. The jets could put a green number on those white pants, or even put the number between the reebok logo and the team logo, right in the middle.

Which Basketball Jersey doesn't have a number on the front? I'm not familiar with many of the European Basketball teams but all of the NBA has numbers on the front.

Also, the NFL is very strict on the numbering issues already for checking in and out of games for eligible receivers and the like. This is why it could cause a problem and would not in many other sports.

Addict
06-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Which Basketball Jersey doesn't have a number on the front? I'm not familiar with many of the European Basketball teams but all of the NBA has numbers on the front.

Also, the NFL is very strict on the numbering issues already for checking in and out of games for eligible receivers and the like. This is why it could cause a problem and would not in many other sports.

I'm not saying remove numbers altogether... just the ones on the front. And like I said, you can still put them on the front, on the legs, or even above the ad space. You're right about basketball though, my bad.

Really I doubt that having big-ass numbers on the front is that critical to the game.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
06-08-2009, 09:36 PM
How about make the logo small and put it on the arm instead of having it really big on the front of the jersey

GB12
06-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Basketball:
http://mysportsrumors.com/blog/wp-content/themes/revolution-sports/images/michael_redd.jpg

Baseball:
http://theghostofmoonlightgraham.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/braun.jpg

Ice Hockey:
http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42050/2010315520102660757S600x600Q85.jpg

Regular Hockey:
What the **** is that?

Soccer:
http://www.gfdb.com/images%5Cpictures%5Cplayers%5Cmichael-ballack.jpg

Rugby:
I've never even seen it on TV

iowatreat54
06-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Baseball:
http://static.zoovy.com/img/cubworld/W174-H200-Bffffff/Z/carlos_marmol_chicago_cubs_jersey___home.jpg

Hockey:
http://www.sportimex.com/images/CCM%20Replica%20Pop%2006/blackhawks.jpg

It can be done without any problems, I believe was Addict's point. Except basketball, those almost all have numbers on front. But many/most soccer jerseys do not have numbers on the front.

GB12
06-08-2009, 10:48 PM
He said "all use back numbers exclusively".

M.O.T.H.
06-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Some of you actually like the look w/ Lexus and Gillete on the front? That looks terrible, imo.

diabsoule
06-09-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm hoping someone like Pink Taco taco stands or Trojan becomes a huge sponsor.

flave1969
06-09-2009, 04:52 AM

You do realise that the shirt you have chosen is a Rugby League shirt dont you. It is from the NRL team the Bulldogs. They tend to pack their shirts with more than regular Football teams, so it looks more Garish than normal.

Addict
06-09-2009, 05:04 AM
Ice Hockey:
http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42050/2010315520102660757S600x600Q85.jpg

Regular Hockey:
What the **** is that?

Soccer:
http://www.gfdb.com/images%5Cpictures%5Cplayers%5Cmichael-ballack.jpg

Rugby:
I've never even seen it on TV

like Iowa said, I was talking NFL where all they have on the front is a huge logo of the team. I've already said basketball was a mistake on my part and job well done on finding one of the very few soccer jerseys with numbers on the front. Try club football in the big competitions (England, Germany, Italy, Spain) you won't find any. International football hardly counts.

Regular hocky is played on artificial grass:
http://weblogs.vpro.nl/villa-achterwerk/files/2008/01/hockey.jpg
also notice no number on the front of the jersey, just on the leg.

Here's the French national team rugby uni (home and awaya)
http://boutique.stadefrance.com/boutique_us/images_produits/MAFFR04_1.gif

oh and I said exclusively to indicate no other numbers on the main jersey, but way to go trying to nail someone for whom english isn't a native language on semantics. That's classy.

bigbluedefense
06-09-2009, 08:48 AM
business is business.

im surprised its taken this long for America to do this. its smart business.

FlyingElvis
06-09-2009, 08:49 AM

Right - good point. As mentioned by dabears10, the front numbers do make life much easier on the officials. This isn't soccer where 12 massive men can end up piled up in one spot. That's a big mass of humanity for refs to untangle and get right, but I don't know that the front number is "essential." The league could work around it, whether it is by numbers on the leg or small logos so the number can still be on the front of the jersey.

Smooth Criminal
06-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I really couldn't care less. I'll root for my team and watch football games because I love them and the sport, not because of how they're dressed and what they're jerseys look like.