PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Draft Thread

Dam8610
06-04-2009, 12:31 PM
With the 2010 draft only 10 months away, what better time than now to start looking ahead to what the Colts might need? I think the Colts addressed their needs well in this past draft, and the depth chart looks pretty solid as of now IMO, but there are some positions that could be an issue for the 2010 season. Assuming the CBA gets taken care of (which I think it will, as neither side wants the penalties that kick in for 2010 if they don't take care of it), here's how I see the needs shaking out as of now:

1) S - With a former DPOY, a former Pro Bowler, and a backup who has quite a bit of starting experience and made a few big plays for the team last year, how does this rank as the team's top need? Well, apart from Sanders, the only safety the Colts have under contract beyond 2009 is Jaime Silva. Bethea will be a UFA, and while Bullitt will be a RFA, he'll be a UFA in 2011, and I'm not so sure about his ability to replace Bethea, especially since Bethea will be allowed to play the role he's best at this year (last line of defense/deep enforcer). If Bethea is allowed to walk, which I think he will be, this likely becomes the team's top priority. If he's resigned, this drops completely off the need board.

2) LB - I thought about making this MLB, since Gary Brackett will be a UFA after this season and I doubt the team will retain him, but Wheeler has experience at MLB in college. That said, if Wheeler is slid inside, then the Colts will need a new starting SLB, which means that the team has flexibility and options in addressing this need. I do think that the team will try to find a MLB to replace Brackett rather than slide Wheeler inside, but if a great SLB talent is available to the team, moving Wheeler inside would be an option.

3) OG - This is the wildcard position of the group, depending on injuries and development, this could be the team's top need for 2010 or not a need at all. Given that Lilja is on track to be ready for camp as of now, Pollak should get his first camp, and all 3 guards who were drafted last year got valuable PT, I'm leaning toward the latter, but if everything goes wrong, and it could, this could become a huge need.

4) CB - With Marlin Jackson hitting free agency and the CBs behind him on the depth chart not showing much progress to this point, this could be a very big need for the team in 2010. Then again, if some of the young CBs on the team develop, this could become a secondary need.

That's all I can think of for now. That said, with the way this upcoming class looks, if the team selected a DL, I wouldn't be too upset. Also, Jermaine Gresham IMO would be an upgrade over and 3rd WR/2nd TE the team currently has. Thoughts?

killxswitch
06-04-2009, 02:44 PM
OT. Ryan Diem is a good candidate for cap casualty, though that of course depends on what happens with the new CBA. Ugoh needs to step up or be replaced at LT, and at worst a busted tackle can play guard. Charlie Johnson is a FA after this year too.

Dam8610
06-04-2009, 03:47 PM
OT. Ryan Diem is a good candidate for cap casualty, though that of course depends on what happens with the new CBA. Ugoh needs to step up or be replaced at LT, and at worst a busted tackle can play guard. Charlie Johnson is a FA after this year too.

What has Ugoh done that he needs to "step up or be replaced"? is it the 4.5 sacks allowed in 23 starts? Or maybe his 1 career holding penalty? The only knock I have on Ugoh so far is he's missed 9 of a possible 32 starts, but if he can stay healthy, he's as much of an anchor as Glenn was. I agree with you on Diem, and RT is certainly a concern worthy of mention (don't know why I didn't think of it when making the thread), especially since Charlie Johnson (who played RT well in 2006) is an impending FA, but IMO LT is locked down for some time provided Ugoh can get to the point where he can stay on the field.

Geo
06-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Honestly I'm looking forward to the 2009 Colts season too much to think about the 2010 Draft.

But big picture, there's only one need: middle linebacker.

Hopefully the guy is in this Draft class and the Colts have a shot at him. The Colts need to get bigger, stronger, faster, and younger at the position. With the right guy, the defense would go to another level.

Brandon Spikes is the leading candidate imo, although I am not 100 percent sure if he's the perfect guy for the Colts. He may be the best one though, and the good thing is that middle linebackers tend to fall in the 1st round. The Colts need a guy to fall to the 32nd overall pick (or maybe even later than that).

Ideally, in my dreams, next offseason the Colts either trade for Nick Barnett from the Green Bay Packers or sign Barrett Ruud of the Tampa Bay Bucs. That would be PERFECT. But either move requires money. A draft pick, even the 1st rounder, is much cheaper.

Geo
06-04-2009, 07:46 PM
The real cap casualty next offseason should be Raheem Brock. Remember how I said Harrison had to go? Brock's the next guy. The Colts need to draft a LDE. Brandon Graham of Michigan would be perfect, but he'll likely be a 1st-to-mid 2nd round pick like Woodley (who I loved) and the Colts are looking for a rotational guy because they already have stud Robert Mathis.

Tony Ugoh is the franchise left tackle. I don't get why he gets such a bad rap from Colts fans, or has idiots in the media openly questioning his toughness and character and crap like that. Other than a series of plays in one 2-minute drill, Ugoh has handled the almighty Mario Williams thus far in his career. He's so similar to Tarik Glenn, except not 50 lbs overweight and with hair on his head. Ugoh will get more $ than Joe Staley's 6 years/$42M extension.

Ryan Diem can be replaced, if they have the right guy though. Don't want to end up with a crappy OL like the Patriots. Although I sure as heck wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on a RT.

Dam8610
06-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Honestly I'm looking forward to the 2009 Colts season too much to think about the 2010 Draft.

But big picture, there's only one need: middle linebacker.

Hopefully the guy is in this Draft class and the Colts have a shot at him. The Colts need to get bigger, stronger, faster, and younger at the position. With the right guy, the defense would go to another level.

Brandon Spikes is the leading candidate imo, although I am not 100 percent sure if he's the perfect guy for the Colts. He may be the best one though, and the good thing is that middle linebackers tend to fall in the 1st round. The Colts need a guy to fall to the 32nd overall pick (or maybe even later than that).

Ideally, in my dreams, next offseason the Colts either trade for Nick Barnett from the Green Bay Packers or sign Barrett Ruud of the Tampa Bay Bucs. That would be PERFECT. But either move requires money. A draft pick, even the 1st rounder, is much cheaper.

I'd rather the team NOT spend a 1st rounder on a MLB, we all saw what happened the last time they did that. With how deep next year's class is at DL, I'm hoping the Colts will take one of them (I know the DL is pretty loaded as is, but the way things look, there could be a guy who would be a Top 15 talent most years sitting there for the Colts at the end of Round 1) or, if he somehow falls, Jermaine Gresham at this point. Obviously this is EXTREMELY early.

Seamus2602
06-05-2009, 05:31 AM
I'd rather the team NOT spend a 1st rounder on a MLB, we all saw what happened the last time they did that.

What, do you think if the Colts draft a MLB in 2010, that we will change our defensive system in 2012? In 2001, Morris was one of the Colts best defenders, then in 2002 they switched to the Tampa 2. Morris simply wasn't a Tampa 2 MLB. Rob Morris was a very good player. He just didn't fit our system. If the Colts had signed, for example, Bart Scott in Free Agency then he would have been crap in Indy, because he doesn't fit the system.

killxswitch
06-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Seamus, Freeney looks terrifying in that pic in your sig.

Dam, I am not as down on Ugoh as some, but when I watch him he doesn't finish blocks the way I'd like him to. I know he is not a road grader type, and he doesn't need to be. But I tend to take sacks allowed stats with a grain of salt since Manning has such a quick release, and for many of those starts Manning was throwing even sooner than usual because of the glaring weak points on the rest of the line. He didn't show the improvement from rookie to 2nd year player that I would've expected, and while being thrown in early because of Glenn's retirement has a lot to do with that, I am expecting him to show the rest of that growth and some increased aggression this year. If he doesn't, I think he needs to move, maybe to RT or G, or at the very least the Colts should look for his replacement in the draft and be ready to move Ugoh out the year after.

Seamus2602
06-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Cornerback: Marlin Jackson will be a Free Agent at the end of the year, and is coming of an ACL tear this season. If he doesn’t recover his playing ability then he needs to be replaced. If he does play well then he will need to be resigned and will probably be looking for as good, if not better, than Kelvin Hayden’s contract this offseason. If it is a capped year, or even if it is uncapped and Jim Irsay doesn’t have the necessary capital, then he mightn’t be able to be resigned and this becomes the principle need of this offseason. Bill Polian doesn’t normally resign Cornerbacks, Hayden being the exception, and so the biggest need going into the 2010 Draft will be Cornerback. This is added to by the fact that Tim Jennings is also a Free Agent. Last year both Tim Jennings and Keiwan Ratliff (now a Steeler) had significant playing time. Jerraud Powers, in my opinion, will be a very good Nickelback but is too small to play on the outside. Dante Hughes will play in Ratliff’s stead this year but if Jennings isn’t resigned, which I hope he isn’t, better Cornerback depth will be needed. This will probably need to be as early as a 4th Round selection, possibly even a 3rd.

Linebacker: Gary Brackett is coming off an injury that has kept him out of some workouts, will be 30 by the start of next season, and is a Free Agent. Next year has a number of top quality Linebackers and so Brackett’s replacement could be sought in the 1st or 2nd Round. Both Keiaho and Seward are also Free Agents next year and so general Linebacker depth could be sought in the latter rounds.

Safety: Antoine Bethea was a 6th Round pick in 2006. He was paid 2006 6th Rounder money. He is now a starting Free Safety in the NFL and a Free Agent in the Offseason. It will cost a helluva lot more to resign him, too much if there is a capped year next year. If Bethea isn’t resigned then Melvin Bullitt definitely needs to be. I feel that one of them will be resigned, but it could be a struggle to resign both of them. That means that at least one Safety is going to need to be drafted next year. The good thing is that there is a lot of Defensive Talent, and a lot of top rated Safety talent. Because of this, a lot of good Safeties may drop out of the 1st day.

Offensive Line: There could be multiple directions that this could go in. If the team don’t feel that Ugoh is the answer at Left Tackle then a 1st or 2nd Round LT could be the answer, moving Ugoh to RT and cutting Diem. The resulting savings in money could then be used to resign Charlie Johnson, thus avoiding a problem there. If they don’t do this then we still need to look at the resigning of Charlie Johnson and the depth at Offensive Tackle in general, with neither Toudouze nor Hilliard impressing, and both Charlie Johnson and Dan Federkiel (two Guards who can play Tackle) are both Free Agents. Even if one, or both, is resigned, better depth at Offensive Tackle is needed.

There are other needs, but the Colts only have 6th picks in the draft next year, and the other positions, like D-Line, can be delayed to other years.

Dam8610
06-05-2009, 11:56 PM
What, do you think if the Colts draft a MLB in 2010, that we will change our defensive system in 2012? In 2001, Morris was one of the Colts best defenders, then in 2002 they switched to the Tampa 2. Morris simply wasn't a Tampa 2 MLB. Rob Morris was a very good player. He just didn't fit our system. If the Colts had signed, for example, Bart Scott in Free Agency then he would have been crap in Indy, because he doesn't fit the system.

I would hope that the Colts would never take a scheme specific MLB in round 1 again. If taking a MLB in round 1, he should be highly adaptable and athletic, like Ray Lewis. I understand that Morris was a 3-4 thumper, but investing that high of a selection into a MLB, that player should be able to play regardless of scheme.

Dam, I am not as down on Ugoh as some, but when I watch him he doesn't finish blocks the way I'd like him to. I know he is not a road grader type, and he doesn't need to be. But I tend to take sacks allowed stats with a grain of salt since Manning has such a quick release, and for many of those starts Manning was throwing even sooner than usual because of the glaring weak points on the rest of the line. He didn't show the improvement from rookie to 2nd year player that I would've expected, and while being thrown in early because of Glenn's retirement has a lot to do with that, I am expecting him to show the rest of that growth and some increased aggression this year. If he doesn't, I think he needs to move, maybe to RT or G, or at the very least the Colts should look for his replacement in the draft and be ready to move Ugoh out the year after.

Manning hasn't faced much blindside pressure with Ugoh blocking for him, and he's been really good in the run game, always taking his own man and at times getting a pancake and taking another man. IMO it's no coincidence that the Colts ran their best by far when they ran near and/or behind the blocks of Ugoh, and I think he's done well in terms of pass pro. For example, in the game Ugoh played against the Texans, the only time he had any problems with Mario Williams was during that 2 minute drive, and he still didn't get a sack in that game. He was handling Jared Allen pretty well before he got injured too, then Charlie Johnson got thrown around like a ragdoll by Allen. I think he's actually already become fairly underrated and underappreciated among the fanbase due to the fact that he has missed some starts. When he's been on the field, he's been a really good performer.

chad72
06-21-2009, 08:29 PM
I would like it to be a top rated tackle or a good cornerback (given that Marlin Jackson is entering free agency).

Plus, it will also be Brackett's free agency year, I am not sure how Adam Seward is going to pan out. Does anyone know of good LBs that can play MLB with good coverage skills in our Tampa 2 system in the 2010 draft? How good are Sean Lee of Penn State & Reggie Carter of UCLA? Will they fit our system if drafted in round 2 or later? I also found out that Joe Pawelek of Baylor has a lot of interceptions as a sophomore ILB, I am keeping my eye on him as well.

I like Myron Lewis of Vanderbilt, who played alongside D.J.Moore and gave Vanderbilt one of the best secondaries in the SEC (started every game at CB in 2007, an honors student with perfect attendance), he is 6'2", 205, 4.52 40, I'd love to have this guy in round 1.

What do you guys think of Anderson Russell of Ohio State as Bethea's replacement? I am not a big fan of Bethea's tackling prowess or the angles he takes but I love his ball hawking skills. Which would be more important for the Colts FS - good ball hawking with average tackling or average ball hawking with good tackling? Is Lendy Holmes of Oklahoma going to declare for the draft in 2010?

killxswitch
06-24-2009, 09:07 AM
I don't think Bethea is going anywhere, personally. With the improved DL, the LBs won't need as much help from the safeties. I think Bethea will have a pretty good year this year. Getting better up front is seriously going to drastically improve every facet of the defense.

Geo
07-08-2009, 12:33 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that, it seems like there's more of a tendency for better offensive value to be there late in the 1st than defensive value.

A tendency that we've obviously seen the Colts, in their efforts to acquire the best player available, take advantage. Not just them of course, let's just take the Steelers for example - they drafted Heath Miller 30th overall and the next year traded up from #32 to get Santonio Holmes at 26.

If there is any defensive value at that point, chances are it's at linebacker and the Colts don't seem to value linebacker as 1st round value. Ie. the (perceived) minimal difference in production between a 2nd-4th round pick and a 1st round pick isn't worth spending that 1st round pick in the position. Although we'll see if that doesn't change any in the wake of Caldwell taking over the team, not being afraid to help change things for the better. Especially as his defensive coordinator is a former LBs coach and could, one way or another, push for his right hand man to run his defense.

The two guys the Colts have picked in that range slipped because of a deficiency in their measurables: Marlin Jackson was pegged as a zone corner because of his 40-time, Bob Sanders' height (or rather lack thereof) is what hurt his draft stock.

But back to value late in the 1st, again, there seems to be a tendency that more often than not, it's on the offensive side of the ball. And that could be the case again this year perhaps. However I think the Colts are in pretty good position overall, offensively. Other than RT if Diem is cut, which doesn't seem likely right now, plus also TE2 and WR5. Not sure I see a 1st round pick being spent at those positions. But let's keep our minds open.

Seamus2602
07-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Many GMs might go out and get an Offensive Player because I feel the Offensive Players could come off the board quite quickly. There are maybe only 15 real 1st Rnd talents on the Offensive side of the ball, while there are maybe 25 Defensive Players with 1st Rnd talents. This really is the year of the D with top players like Gerald McCoy, Mount Cody, Kindle, Mays and Berry all in this draft. McCoy is better than any UT in last years draft, Cody better than any NT, Kindle is a better outside rusher, and Mays and Berry are significantly better Safeties. In comparison there isn't a lot between Stafford and Sam Bradford, or Spiller and Moreno, and last years OT class was significantly better than this years class.

Because of this there could either be top quality Offenisve Players on the board, come the Colts pick, (as GMs avoid them to take the top Defensive Players), or really potentially elite Defensive Players (as GMs take QBs, WRs etc just to make sure they get a good one).

The Colts are solid in both Starters and Depth at QB, RB, WR and TE. The four Offensive Skill positions we have a solid 1st Rnd starter, and have invested heavily in backups as well. The only area on the Offense that I beleive could see improvment is the Offensive Line, and this is a realtively weak Offensive Tackle class. Players like William Beatty and Phil Loadholt are better prospects than some Tackles who will go in the 1st this year.

Geo
07-09-2009, 01:40 PM
The Colts need to give Peyton Manning a defense and a running game. Asking him to carry this team all season plus the playoffs is too much. The NFL is too much of a team sport for one man to win in the postseason, especially when playing in the AFC. Peyton and the Colts would have already been to multiple Super Bowls if they were in the NFC since 1998, but that doesn't help the current situation any.

Even though the '08 Hit Squad defense set the (modern era) record for fewest passing touchdowns allowed, the defense wasn't that good. We remember the struggles. Divisional opponents had too much success, even though in their own right, they have potent offenses.

Now granted there have already been three big improvements: (1) Coaching; (2) Defensive tackles; and (3) Cornerbacks. And of course there some (high) quality players already in place.

Injuries to the offensive line are somewhat cyclical, and after the last two injury-plagued seasons, hopefully now the Colts experience an upswing and get lucky again. A consistent and healthy offensive line, even without the greatest players, will bode very well for success. The addition of Donald Brown will definitely help the running game as well.

I really like this 2009 team, very enthused about their chances. Including contending for a championship.

But I wouldn't be afraid to draft a quality player at any position, including another defensive tackle (Arthur Jones of Syracuse is a guy I find rather interesting).

chad72
07-28-2009, 02:18 PM
The Colts are solid in both Starters and Depth at QB, RB, WR and TE. The four Offensive Skill positions we have a solid 1st Rnd starter, and have invested heavily in backups as well. The only area on the Offense that I beleive could see improvment is the Offensive Line, and this is a realtively weak Offensive Tackle class. Players like William Beatty and Phil Loadholt are better prospects than some Tackles who will go in the 1st this year.

Sam Young of Notre Dame made a huge leap from the previous year in pass protection and he can be a road grader like Loadholt and is a very good prospect at right tackle. With Diem's big contract, I would not mind BP taking a look at him though I feel Sam Young will be gone by the time we pick.

Another possibility totally overlooked is the DE position. Freeney is one of those DEs that can play all running and passing downs. Mathis, I still have my doubts on running downs. Marcus Howard and Curtis Johnson are nothing but clones of Mathis, will excel in rushing the passer on obvious passing downs. Brock is the closest to Freeney as a DE for running downs.

One of the prospects that is intriguing to me is Brandon Graham, DE, of Michigan. Size wise, he is very close to Freeney and a quality DE like him can make Brock expendable. Despite all the DEs we have drafted, the closest one that can make Brock and his contract expendable is probably Eric Foster but Eric Foster probably has more experience at the UT position than anything else right now.

To me, I can see the Colts go CB (Myron Lewis), DE (Brandon Graham), or OT (Sam Young) or S (Nate Allen).

I am still leaning towards a pick for our secondary. The more Larry Coyer blitzes, the more emphasis there would be on man coverage and with Bethea/Marlin Jackson both hitting free agency, it is a safe bet to go with the secondary with a quality upgrade.

Of course, with so many changes to be tested out, we have to see if Ugoh holds up, if our 3rd WRs/2nd TEs hold up like expected, if Marlin's knee holds up etc. So any discussion of the future will change based on how our several changes to player responsibilities pan out / do not pan out.

Seamus2602
09-05-2009, 09:31 AM
I put out a new Mock Draft yesterday. Here are the Colts' picks:

Indianapolis Colts
http://i31.tinypic.com/2yzn4o0.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/2ppki69.jpghttp://i31.tinypic.com/k1ro82.jpghttp://i28.tinypic.com/9hnin4.jpg

27th - Indianapolis Colts - Selvish Capers - OT - West Virginia Mountaineers - R/S Snr
58th - Indianapolis Colts - Sean Lee - ILB - Penn State Nittany Lions - R/S Snr
89th - Indianapolis Colts - Javier Arenas - CB - Alabama Crimson Tide - Snr

The Colts pick the top Zone Blocking Linemen of the Draft which should bring some stability to the Left Tackle position. Ugoh could be moved to Right Tackle if and when Ryan Diem leaves. They also bring in Sean Lee to replace Gary Brackett and get really good value for Arenas to shore up the Cornerback spot and provide the Colts with a dynamic Returner.

The rest of the draft is here (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35201).

Geo
09-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Pass on the West Virginia tackle imo.

1. So what if he's been protecting Pat White's backside, the guy plays right tackle.

2. Doesn't play in anything close to a pro offense.

3. He sounds like Tony Ugoh Lite. The real deal didn't work out.

4. My general rule of thumb is to pass on anyone from West Virginia, Virginia Tech, and places like Florida, Florida State, Miami, etcetera. The issue for me is intelligence from those talent pools. There are exceptions of course, like Edgerrin James, but the Colts need players with brains from the neck up to match the talent from the neck down. That's why the Colts like players from conferences like the Big Ten and Big East: smart, talented, and tough football players.

I like the Arenas pick because I think he's a very good corner and a great return man. But I've seen him take some really stupid penalties which make me seriously question his mental toughness, and his character. Still would probably like him. He probably won't drop that far though, unless he runs a bad time.

chad72
09-06-2009, 11:34 AM
I still think BP goes skill position to boost our WR depth if he does not pick up one on the waiver wire.

My choice, Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati, WR.

I thought of Jordan Shipley who I feel will have a monster season this year with Colt McCoy, he just knows to get open and is a good return man too.

But Jordan Shipley would be a slot wideout for us, which is what Collie was drafted for. Hence Mardy Gilyard. Freeney and Brown are our first round picks from the Big East which is gaining some respect and Cincinnati as a program is gaining as well.

Seamus2602
09-06-2009, 05:20 PM
I still think BP goes skill position to boost our WR depth if he does not pick up one on the waiver wire.

My choice, Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati, WR.

I thought of Jordan Shipley who I feel will have a monster season this year with Colt McCoy, he just knows to get open and is a good return man too.

But Jordan Shipley would be a slot wideout for us, which is what Collie was drafted for. Hence Mardy Gilyard. Freeney and Brown are our first round picks from the Big East which is gaining some respect and Cincinnati as a program is gaining as well.

Bill Polian likes drafting player high who will contribute straight away. As you say, Collie is our slot receiver, and working well with Manning, and is a prototypical slot. So unless they expect Gilyard to reguarly spell either Wayne or Gonzo then I don't see the current value. Even in a 4 WR set, they'd put Dallas Clark as the 4th Receiver. Unless the Colts are gonna come out of the empty backfield then I don't see Gilyard adding anything other than his return ability.

Geo
09-06-2009, 09:54 PM
It's early, but some guys I like:

Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota (6-3, 207)
Jammie Kirlew, DE, Indiana (6-3, 263)
Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana (6-3, 280)
Darrell Stuckey, S, Kansas (5-11, 205)
Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern (6-6, 278)

maybe
Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan (6-0-3/4, 275) *Intelligence?
Sean Lee, LB, Penn State (6-2, 235) *Physicality?

chad72
09-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Bill Polian likes drafting player high who will contribute straight away. As you say, Collie is our slot receiver, and working well with Manning, and is a prototypical slot. So unless they expect Gilyard to reguarly spell either Wayne or Gonzo then I don't see the current value. Even in a 4 WR set, they'd put Dallas Clark as the 4th Receiver. Unless the Colts are gonna come out of the empty backfield then I don't see Gilyard adding anything other than his return ability.

Not all first round picks contribute right away. Freeney took the middle of the season before he started. Marlin Jackson did not really start till the next year. Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne took time to contribute in a larger capacity. It really depends on the position.

It seems like the obvious need is at tackle but BP never goes for obvious need only, he goes for best value at a position of need. One thing I did forget was that Marcus Howard's cut places our quality DE depth at a precarious level. If Freeney or Mathis goes down, there is no way this team wins in the playoffs, it will be 2007 deja vu again. Marcus Howard apparently was not the answer, neither is Brock or Foster or Dawson, IMO. Let us keep our fingers crossed.;)

I can see someone like Brandon Lang of Troy (DE) coming from a good defensive program being drafted. Before Howard was cut, that would have never been at the top of my list, now I feel it is. Darrell Stuckey is definitely an option but he may be gone by that time. Brandon Lang may have a greater chance of sticking closer to the high 20s or 32 if we score SB #2.:)

Plus, I personally feel that the dropoff in OT quality is just like dropoff in DT quality, huge after the middle of the first round. Real value can be found again at the end of the second round. Plus, given BP's history of selling LBs short, an OT is more likely with a second round pick than an LB. Just my opinion.

Or 2010 could be the first year where BP moves up the draft if a tackle he likes drops. I wish he had done that with Michael Oher this year but then both the run O and run D were gaping priorities. Based on history, he might just stand par.

Seamus2602
09-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota

I really, really like Decker. He is an absolute carbon copy of Anthony Gonzalez. He could really be worth a look but I probably, at this time, wouldn't look at him as a 1st Round pick. In my recent draft I had him going at the bottom of the 3rd. He won't blow up the Combine but he runs great routes, has brilliant hands etc so would make a really good Colt.

Jammie Kirlew, DE, Indiana

The opposite of Middleton. He doesn't have great speed for his size but seems to make plays. I'd wonder whether he will make it at the next level, where everyone will be more athletic than him?

Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana

Middleton hasn't really impressed. Good size and speed but his production is almost non-existant. The exact opposite of Kirlew. The team could take a late round flyer at him but I would touch earlier that the 6th.

Darrell Stuckey, S, Kansas

Stuckey's a solid, tackling Safety, a lesser Bob Sanders, very similar to Bullitt type. If we resign Bethea and release Bullitt then Stuckey could be a very good shout but if Bethea goes then we need a real ball hawk, not another heavy hitter. Justin Woodall, a Safety from Alabama, could be looked at in the latter rounds. Tall, fast, not a bad tackler but also has really good hands.

Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern

He's a prototypical 5 Technique, could struggle in the leverage game in the 3 Technqiue. He could be a really good every down LE though, but I just don't see the need for the Colts at LE. I also feel that Wootton isn't worth a 1st Round pick and will probably be gone by our pick in the 2nd Round.

Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan

The problem with Graham is he is as LE as you can get. He is a multi purpose Left End, and we don't really need a multi purpose Left End. We need someone, potentially, to groom to replace Freeney, but I don't feel Graham is it.

Sean Lee, LB, Penn State

In my most recent mock I had us taking Sean Lee in the bottom of the 2nd Round. He's a good combination of speed and strength and could be similar (maybe not as good as but still similar) to Brian Urlacher.

Seamus2602
09-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Not all first round picks contribute right away. Freeney took the middle of the season before he started. Marlin Jackson did not really start till the next year. Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne took time to contribute in a larger capacity. It really depends on the position.

I'm not even talking as a starter. In his first season, Marlin Jackson contributed on Nickle and Dime packages (as did Hayden), while Dallas Clark was named to the All-Rookie team, and Reggie was probably the team's 3rd Wide Receiver in his Rookie year. If we where to take a 1st Round Receiver then I can't see him contributing, short of backup situations or where we go into an empty backfield, something we don't do reguarly.

Geo
09-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I really, really like Decker. He is an absolute carbon copy of Anthony Gonzalez. He could really be worth a look but I probably, at this time, wouldn't look at him as a 1st Round pick. In my recent draft I had him going at the bottom of the 3rd. He won't blow up the Combine but he runs great routes, has brilliant hands etc so would make a really good Colt.
The Gonzalez comparison is dead-on: just like Gonzalez, Decker is a professional playing in the college game. An intelligent, hard-working, conditioned, and talented route runner with great hands. His speed probaby does fit somewhere between Gonzalez and Austin Collie, and he's not as shifty as Gonzo, but he's got better size as an outside receiver.

Excellent write-ups all around, Seamus.

DE is my primary concern right now. Thankfully the Colts have two studs in Freeney and Mathis, but after them it nosedives off a cliff imo.

Raheem Brock has a combined $11M cap charge for this year and next, very poor spending. The guy is not very effective and not a real factor. Keyunta Dawson is worse, he lets the opposing offense do whatever they want. We'll see how well Eric Foster transitions in the new defense that Larry Coyer is building.

I want to cut Dawson and Brock after this season, and draft at least two talented guys. If the Colts cut Brock next year they save $3.79M.

MLB is also a concern. I don't want to re-sign Brackett, and there doesn't look to be a candidate in house to replace him. Coyer is an excellent linebackers coach though so having his input and involvement is super.

(And I wonder if DJ Williams of the Broncos, who Coyer coached his first couple of years in the league, doesn't become an option. He didn't play well at MLB though.)

chad72
09-07-2009, 11:57 AM
DE is my primary concern right now. Thankfully the Colts have two studs in Freeney and Mathis, but after them it nosedives off a cliff imo.

I couldn't agree with you more now. That is why I suggested Brandon Lang because of his defensive program and supposedly high football IQ. If he has a good year, he will creep up to the top of the 2nd or the end of the 1st, IMO.

Another guy I also like at the DE position is Jerry Hughes of TCU, he is a sack freak.

He was the nation's leading pass rusher last year with an eye-popping 17 sacks, 19.5 tackles for loss and six forced fumbles.

chad72
09-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Round 1: Brandon Lang, DE, Troy / Jerry Hughes, DE, TCU
Round 2: Nate Allen, FS, South Florida / Sean Lee, ILB, Penn State
Round 3: Jason Fox, OT, Miami / Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa

Geo
09-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Jason Fox has caught my eye too, chad.

I think, right now, he's the guy I want for the Colts.

(Well ideally I'd like Russell Okung, but you know.)

Seamus2602
09-09-2009, 05:07 PM
As I've stated in the past, if I was to pick an Offensive Tackle I would probably go Selvish Capers in the 1st, but if we were to look at the later rounds, Gabe Carimi, the Offensive Tackle from Wisconsin. He's massive. He has the leg drive to push, but is still agile. He's 6' 8", 300 lbs and should increase that bulk in the pros but still retain his agility.

Seamus2602
09-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Running Back: The team are pretty well set at Running Back but could use some better depth if they don't feel Mike Hart will work out long term. Personally I would also like the idea of the team targeting a big short yardage back to help improve the 3rd/4th and short Run Game, which has been lacking in recent years.

Wide Receiver: The injury to Gonzalez showed the team could use a bit more depth at Receiver but I can't see the team using a high pick at the position as the new Receiver will probably not contribute much in the Offense. The only way I could see a highish pick at Reciever is if it was really good value and a player who can bring something extra as a Kick Returner.

H-Back: The team drafted Tom Santi a few years ago to help shore up this position after Ben Utecht left the team. They have used Gijon Robinson in the meantime. Robinson isn't brilliant and Santi is constantly injured so the team could use a late round selection to take a good Hybrid Tight End.

Offensive Tackle: The biggest concern for the team. We have three Offensive Tackles (Charlie Johnson, Ryan Diem and Tony Ugoh). None of them particuarly fill me with confidence. Left Tackle is a real need pick going into the 2010 NFL Draft with Charlie Johnson being both not good enough and also a Free Agent. They could also target a good Right Tackle if Ugoh doesn't transition well as Ryan Diem's play in the last couple of years has been poor at best. Diem could easily not be on the team next year if there is a salary cap.

Defensive End: The team are set on passing downs at this position but on run downs we normally sub in Raheem Brock. Brock isn't the youngest man in the world and is also being paid an extortionate amount of money. I could see the team targeting a good solid hybird Defensive End/Defensive Tackle (a player in the Justin Tuck mould) who can play Left End on run downs and kick inside on pass downs and then cut Raheem Brock. The team also need to improve depth at Defensive End so they could also look at a player towards to bottom end of the Draft.

Nose Tackle: The team have invested a lot in Defensive Tackle over the last year (two Draft picks, a number of waiver signs and the resigning of Ed Johnson) and so are relatively solid. The team have a lot of potential at Under Tackle in Fili Moala and could look to get a potentially elite young Nose Tackle if there is the value. If someone like Vince Oghobaase falls to them in the 2nd Round then the team could pull the trigger.

Middle Linebacker: The Colts two Middle Linebackers (Gary Brackett and Freddie Keiaho) are both Free Agents in the Offseason (and both not overly good). The team will resign one of them (or another Free Agent Linebacker) to play the backup role but will probably target a Linebacker very early on in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Cornerback: Last year the Colts gave Kelvin Hayden a new 5 year, $43 Million contract. This year Marlin Jackson, the player the Colts drafted a round earlier that Hayden, and are in negotiations with a year later's, contract is up. He will want a similar deal to Hayden. I think most people value Hayden as being better that Jackson but with it being a year later and Jackson being a former 1st Round pick, he will think he's worth as much as Hayden. The Colts could have difficulty reaching a deal here and so Cornerback becomes a very early need. The Colts also need to think about backup. I don't see them resigning Tim Jennings as he has firmly being taking over as the 3rd Cornerback by Jerraud Powers but the team could draft a new 4th CB in the Offseason if one presents good value.

Free Safety: Both Antoine Bethea and the principle backup Melvinn Bullitt's contracts are both up. Both were signed for basically minimum contracts and so will be looking a vast wage increase. Bethea looked so promising a couple of years ago but has never been able to step it up to the next level while Bullitt looks like a brilliant backup (especially as he can play both Safety positions) but will never be a brilliant starter Safety in the NFL. The team will not resign both these players so they will either have to look for better depth at Safety or a new starting Free Safety. With the talent in this Safety class I could see them having a go at finding a new starter in the 3rd or 4th round.

Strong Safety: If Melvin Bullitt goes then the Colts have to find sufficient backup to the oft injured Bob Sanders. If they can't find a Safety who can backup both positions adequately then they need to find two backup Safeties.

Place Kicker: Vinatieri's leg has been called into question but I can't see the team drafting a Kicker in the draft this year. I could see them brining in a Undrafted Rookie and having a real camp battle but I think they will allow Vinatieri to see out his contract.

Early Picks:

As I said in the write up there are a number of starters who will either leave the team or who could be upgraded. The positions are:

OT - Charlie Johnson
OT - Ryan Diem
DE - Raheem Brock
MLB - Gary Brackett
CB - Marlin Jackson
FS - Antoine Bethea

I can't see the team targeting a potential starter after the 3rd Round and so of those 6 positions, only 3 of them will be replaced. The team will have to decide who they resign, let leave and if they are willing to cut players. 4 of them have expiring contracts and so it means that at least 1 will have to be resigned in Free Agency.

chad72
09-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Wide Receiver: The injury to Gonzalez showed the team could use a bit more depth at Receiver but I can't see the team using a high pick at the position as the new Receiver will probably not contribute much in the Offense. The only way I could see a highish pick at Reciever is if it was really good value and a player who can bring something extra as a Kick Returner.

I try not to want to make a case for Jordan Shipley because he is very much another slot wideout kind and then he puts up numbers in the return game every week. He is touted to be rounds 2 to 3 but I doubt he lasts that long, probably late first round to early second round if he continues to perform this way. I did like Eric Decker of Minnesota and the way he took contact and maintained possession against Cal. on that TD pass today, a bigger wideout than we usually go for may not be a bad thing. If he is there at the end of the second, I wonder if that will count as good value to BP.

If BP wants an RT to replace Ryan Diem, I would like Sam Young of Notre Dame as a 2nd rounder if possible, he looks good on the field. Jason Fox of Miami at LT looked good as well. The more Miami keeps winning, I expect Jason Fox's stock to go up, same with Sam Young. But you can see that Sam Young is more of the Ryan Diem kind, a possible mauler and Jason Fox is more of the 300 lb quick footed LT kind and is never going to be a mauler. I do like the Gabe Carimi guy of Wisconsin that Seamus pointed out. He had an injury recently and it is possible he may drop to the bottom of the 2nd. Does Wisconsin still have the same O-line coach that coached Joe Thomas?

This is an article posted a month ago on nfl.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d811477a4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I do like Kyle Calloway's resume as well as a day two RT pick.

MaxV
10-30-2009, 08:52 AM
What do you guys think about West Virginia's OT Selvish Capers?

Could he be a good candidate for LT of the future?

RagingColt
10-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Haven't see him play enough to form an opinion. Scott in his mock though does make him sound like a player to look at.

chad72
10-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I'd say BP trades down to the top of the 2nd getting and extra 2nd & 4th picks in return.

My top 3 right now:

Round 2 early trade pick: Jason Fox, LT, Miami

Round 2 pick: Daryl Washington, ILB, TCU

Round 3 pick: Brian Jackson, CB, Oklahoma (to replace Marlin Jackson if he leaves or to add another physical presence like Marlin Jackson at 6'1", 200 lbs, you should have seen how well Brian Jackson played Jordan Shipley in the OU-Texas game, I think he can play nickel CB like Marlin Jackson as well as Free Safety, IMO)

and the rest...

killxswitch
10-31-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm not so sure they'll go with another lightweight, athletic LT in the draft. I think they like Charlie Johnson and need a Ryan Diem replacement. If what I've read about Fox is true he is what we don't need on the line. As if our run blocking wasn't bad enough already.

chad72
11-02-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm not so sure they'll go with another lightweight, athletic LT in the draft. I think they like Charlie Johnson and need a Ryan Diem replacement. If what I've read about Fox is true he is what we don't need on the line. As if our run blocking wasn't bad enough already.

This guy Jason Fox weighs in the 305-315 lbs range, that is not a lightweight by any means. In the Colts offense, we pass to set up the run. Ryan Diem is 320 lbs, and Jason Fox can easily put on that weight. It may also help if a decision is made to move Ugoh to guard, which I think they should try out.

We use zone blocking and when the Denver O-lines that use zone blocking run so well, their lightweight O-line does not seem to have a problem making holes. Running is about O-line cohesion more than individual weight. We are not a good screening team and neither will we ever be a smash mouth running team like the Ravens, so we need to draft O-linemen that will better our strengths, running enough when necessary. We always will pass to set up the run under Manning, that is what will earn us our running lanes. In the playoffs, we may have to take more checkdowns in the passing game than in the regular season. If we do that, we will be fine and move the ball methodically.

killxswitch
11-02-2009, 12:56 PM
This guy Jason Fox weighs in the 305-315 lbs range, that is not a lightweight by any means. In the Colts offense, we pass to set up the run. Ryan Diem is 320 lbs, and Jason Fox can easily put on that weight. It may also help if a decision is made to move Ugoh to guard, which I think they should try out.

We use zone blocking and when the Denver O-lines that use zone blocking run so well, their lightweight O-line does not seem to have a problem making holes. Running is about O-line cohesion more than individual weight. We are not a good screening team and neither will we ever be a smash mouth running team like the Ravens, so we need to draft O-linemen that will better our strengths, running enough when necessary. We always will pass to set up the run under Manning, that is what will earn us our running lanes. In the playoffs, we may have to take more checkdowns in the passing game than in the regular season. If we do that, we will be fine and move the ball methodically.

The problem is that for the last season and a half, the passing game has been great but has not set up the run. The 49ers were dropping 6 and 7 into coverage yesterday and the Colts still couldn't spring Addai. It doesn't help that Addai is so indecisive but there weren't holes for him to run through.

Denver's zone run blocking has worked great for years. The problem is that we either don't have the personnel or the coaching that Denver has had.

Last year we could say that Manning didn't have an offseason with these guys, they were new to each other and weren't cohesive, Lilja was out, Addai was hurt and Rhodes was getting older, etc.

This year they had an offseason together, Johnson, Saturday, Pollack, and Diem all played together extensively last year, Lilja is back, we have a new 1st round RB in Donald Brown and Addai is healthier, Mudd is still the coach, and they've been working hard at establishing the run better. And the line still sucks at run blocking.

1 year I can understand, given all the problems last year. This year, though, I don't understand. It's mostly the same guys, the same coaching, improved running talent. If this isn't working then maybe a scheme and/or personnel change is in order, because this type of running is not going to help us win in the post season.

I guess I heard wrong then. I thought Fox was a light-on-his-feet athletic 290 lb. pass blocking LT. How is his drive blocking? Does he seem to be strong and have the right mindset to play LT at the next level?

MaxV
11-02-2009, 01:53 PM
There may come a time when Pollack will be a good starter for us, but at this point he is mediocre.

MaxV
11-27-2009, 10:33 PM
What do you guys think about Mike Iupati? Could he be a good OG in our system?

RagingColt
11-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Haven't seen him play yet this year. He seems to be a bigger player than what the Colts have looked for before in terms of a guard. Of course with Caldwell as the coach now, maybe we look for larger players on the O-line as well.

MaxV
11-29-2009, 10:45 PM
There is a "Teams Needs" thread in the 2010 NFL Draft Forum, where I posted my opinion on what Colts' needs are.

The two biggest areas of concern are run-blocking and run defense.

I'd say the order is:

1. OG
2. UT
3. LT
4. OLB
5. KR/PR
6. RT

- Kyle Devan is a big improvement over Pollak, but he is far from great. He's still more of a OC. Perhaps the plan is to groom him as a replacement for Saturday. I really want us to get another good OG that we can run effectively behind.

- Both of our starting DTs (Muir and Johnson) are really NTs. That is fine considering we generate plenty of pass-rush from our DEs. Foster is UT, but he is really a situational player. Moala might be good in time, but he's really raw right now. I've been wanting to get a dominant UT for years now. Perhaps this is the draft to do it, it's loaded with talented DTs.

- Let me just say that I don't hate Charlie Johnson, we can live with him as our starting LT. But he is FAR from great. I think Peyton's quick decision-making ability makes his pass-blocking look better then what it actually is. I wouldn't call him a "franchise LT".

- Bringing in new and athletic OLB should be a priority in every draft for us.

- KR/PR position might have been #1 on this list if our offense wasn't as potent. We really don't need great field position with Manning and Co. With that being said, our returners suck.

- I've added RT simply because Diem is getting up there in age and we might need to look for a replacement soon.

killxswitch
11-30-2009, 08:54 AM
IMO DE has to be a position we look for. Freeney and Mathis are the only two ends that offer a pass rush. It helps now that Coyer uses the LBs to blitz more but even having a 3rd legit pass rusher would really help the team, especially as Freeney gets older. Dawson, Brock, and especially Thomas do not offer much of a pass rush.

chad72
11-30-2009, 01:52 PM
1. Dan Williams, Tennessee, might be more suited to NT than UT, not sure

2. Brian Price, prototypical 4-3 UT, UCLA - low risk, high reward option

3. Tyson Alualu, California - he has amazing numbers as a 3-4 end, and scouts believe his numbers would be great in a 4-3 and that he fits a "3 technique" DT style of play

My current mock would go like this:

Round 1: BP trades down to somewhere in the top of the 2nd round (since Iupati and elite OTs will most likely be gone by then) and gets an extra 2nd and 4th picks, at the top of the 2nd he picks -

Top of Round 2 Jason Fox, OT, Miami (excellent pass blocker, decent run blocker for Javarris James this year, very athletic for 310-315 lbs)

Bottom of Round 2: Tyson Alualu, DT, California - this link's analysis stood out to me -

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/559518

(Quick, strong and passionate, Alualu's production is even more impressive considering he played defensive end in the 3-4 alignment -- a position typically defined as a block-consuming, role-playing spot more than a stat-producing position.

Scouts believe Alualu's numbers would be even more impressive if he were playing in a 4-3 defense. He appears better suited to be a "three technique" defensive tackle.)

But Brian Price, DT, UCLA at the same time is listed as a 4-3 under tackle only, and probably would be a good pick too.

Round 3: Gabe Carimi, OT/OG, Wisconsin (a versatile O-lineman that is an excellent run blocker and adequate pass blocker)

Round 4 Pick 1: Lindsey Witten, DE, Connecticut or Brandon Lang, DE, Troy (whoever is available)

Round 4 Pick 2: Reggie Carter, LB, UCLA

Maybe we take a flyer on a kick returning RB like Brandon James of Florida in round 5, maybe??

indyfan1985
12-02-2009, 03:14 PM
What do you guys think about Mike Iupati? Could he be a good OG in our system?

I would love to get OG Mike Iupati in the 1st round since he is rising up the draft boards. Even though he is bigger than our normal OGs, he would fit our system because he is still athletic enough to run it. Plus we need a powerful mauler to help give us better push in the run game.

As for Mike Pollak, I see him having success and I sure havent given up on him, Im just not sure OG is where his future is. I think either he or DeVan would be a good replacement for Saturday when he calls it a career soon.

killxswitch
12-30-2009, 01:00 AM
Let's draft a new VP of Football Ops that doesn't kick the team in the balls right before the playoffs.

This is a joke, I'm not saying fire Polian. He really does suck at managing the Colts in the post season though.

MaxV
12-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Let's draft a new VP of Football Ops that doesn't kick the team in the balls right before the playoffs.

This is a joke, I'm not saying fire Polian. He really does suck at managing the Colts in the post season though.

Dude, stop.

Polian is the best in the business.

chad72
12-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I bet if it was an owner like Jerry Jones, he may have overriden the GM's decision and played the healthy starters the entire game. But what is done is done, we HAVE to move on, no two ways about it. BP is the best in the business and he hires coaches like Caldwell and Dungy who don't oppose him most of the time on decisions like these and that bugs me. It was Caldwell's decision when to pull the starters but not if he needed to pull the starters, he is just the fall guy here. But you take the good with the bad, and it could be worse, we could spend 10 years with the Cleveland Browns, come back and tell me how bad we have it here.:)

The bottomline is, the management does not realize that worrying about injury and not playing healthy starters till the week before a bye week has not yielded the results consistently and every divisional round has given us a one-and-done when we had a bye week. The one year they had to play the last week, we went all the way. Until Polian realizes there is a small correlation, decisions like these will continue but they get magnified only if we are undefeated. It is sad to hope for our team to lose a game or two earlier in the season so that they play week 17 in full throttle. But I do agree that they are doing a few tweaks with their playing time for the starters. In 2005, they had 2 series in game 15 and 1 series in game 16 for the starting offense. We have already seen 3 quarters for the starting offense in game 15 and I expect 1 quarter of play for the starting offense in game 16. So, Caldwell has done a few things different from Dungy playing a balancing act between staying sharp and getting the players the rest they need.

It is flat out too hard to simulate playoff intensity in practice, no one is out there in practice trying to hurt Peyton, so only meaningful game time even in meaningless games is the best way to stay sharp. The D however, less timing is involved and health is more paramount than anything else. As long as this tweak of Caldwell works and gets us to play sharp in the playoffs, I will be happy though I will still wonder. I can forgive but cannot forget quitting on a perfect season, that is just me.:(

MaxV
12-30-2009, 11:51 AM
The starters played PLENTY to stay sharp and I hope they get about the same playing time next week.

killxswitch
01-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Dude, stop.

Polian is the best in the business.

At this point this is old news, and as Manning asked I have moved on, but it'll all come back 10x as bad if the Colts don't do well in the playoffs. That said, I think they will.

Back to the draft, a lot of mocks have Greg Hardy falling to us or out of the 1st around. There are obvious injury concerns so of course they need to be smart about that. But if physically he checks out enough that they could use him as a situational pass rusher and limit his PT, what a great player to get at the end of the 1st.

I agree the OL needs work. I would like to get Jason Fox or Mike Iupati (I think he'll be there, Duke Robinson got the same hype last year as an OG and didn't go in the 1st) on this team. But I'd also like to get a third legit pass rusher.

MaxV
01-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Situational Pass Rushers could be found later in the draft.

But then again, as is usually the case, whoever is on top of Polian's board will be drafted, no matter of the position.

killxswitch
01-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Situational Pass Rushers could be found later in the draft.

But then again, as is usually the case, whoever is on top of Polian's board will be drafted, no matter of the position.

I wouldn't necessarily want him to stay a situational pass rusher. But Freeney won't last forever. Whenever he gets hurt the defense takes a huge hit. It would be nice to have someone to replace Brock that can actually get after the QB.

chad72
01-08-2010, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't necessarily want him to stay a situational pass rusher. But Freeney won't last forever. Whenever he gets hurt the defense takes a huge hit. It would be nice to have someone to replace Brock that can actually get after the QB.

With the departure of Marcus Howard, gone are the tweener days of a one trick pony pass rusher. With Coyer's system, an emphasis will be on a DE that is bulky enough to contain the run at the end position and quick enough to rush the passer when not double teamed. Freeney is not a spring chicken at this point in his career to be played every down and Mathis will wear out over the course of the year if he plays most downs too.

Did Greg Hardy declare? I thought he was going to return for the senior season. Another guy with upside is Greg Romeus of Pittsburgh.

It almost seems like Polian reaches for an OL (Ugoh, Pollak etc.) and probably feels he can do with non-elite talent at the OL or DT position. AJ & Muir are from the Titans and Packers practice squads. Jeff Saturday - UDFA, Kyle Devan - UDFA, Ryan Lilja (free agency, I think).

I give him credit for finding useful OLs later in the draft like Ryan Diem, Charlie Johnson and Jake Scott (the one who should not have gotten away). Unless a highly touted OG like Iupati drops to us, I doubt BP goes OL in round 1. Another guy I really like is Jon Asamoah of Illinois - 5.06 40 from a guy weighing 315 lbs, that is the kind of athlete I like.

I still think BP goes pass rusher with his first pick but if we trade down, I can see him going for Jon Asamoah at the top of the 2nd or something like that. Another OT prospect I would love for Polian to look at is Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin.

UKfan
01-08-2010, 11:58 AM
I have no idea why I am thinking this, and there is really no basis for it, but everytime I see Javier Arenas I want him as a Colt. Upgrade the return game, would be a good nickel back (or at least get Tim Jennings off the field), what do you guys think?

chad72
01-08-2010, 01:38 PM
I have no idea why I am thinking this, and there is really no basis for it, but everytime I see Javier Arenas I want him as a Colt. Upgrade the return game, would be a good nickel back (or at least get Tim Jennings off the field), what do you guys think?

He is great value in the 2nd round, just not as a 1st rounder, IMO.

My mock, based on BP's tendencies, would go like this:

BP trades down to the top of the 2nd round and gets and extra 2nd & 4th in exchange for our 1st round pick.

Round 2 (early pick): Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh (assuming he declares) or Sergio Kindle, DE, Texas

Round 2 (late pick): Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

Round 3: Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia

Round 4 (early pick) : Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State (PR/KR too)

Round 4 (late pick): Darryl Sharpton, ILB, Miami

UKfan
01-08-2010, 05:59 PM
I was thinking Arenas in second, I should probably have made that clearer, if we don't trade down, I would be looking at something like

1. Iupati (we still need to fix the run game)
2. Arenas
3. Atkins

But that is because I have a mancrush on Arenas (no ****!).

killxswitch
01-08-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm fairly certain Hardy is a senior. Also, he would only be situational while he learned to play in the NFL. He is bigger than either Mathis or Freeney and is similar in size to Brock. He's just faster and has actual pass rushing skills.

He has injury concerns, and apparently some character issues that may or may not have been blown out of proportion. All things that a good personnel guy and his staff should work through first.

I don't actually think Hardy will be available to us, but if he is I'd be fine with the Colts taking him.

I actually feel great about this draft because we don't have any positions of excruciating weakness (like we did last year with DT for so much of the year), and there is so much depth to the talent. We could get some really good players this year.

I don't care for the idea of drafting someone like Arenas. We have Hayden, Powers, Jackson, and Lacey. Jackson is not an unrestricted FA next year and has been hurt too much to worry about another team offering him much. So IMO CB should not be a high priority and should only be taken if that player is far and away the BPA.

MaxV
02-08-2010, 10:32 AM
It's time to talk about the needs. Obviously, Free Agency will effect our needs, but for now I'll just base this on the current roster.

My list would be:

1. OG
It's interesting that arguably our 2 best rushing games were the last two games of the season. Our Line definitely saved their best effort for last. With that being said, I don't think that either Pollak or Devan are our long-term solutions at guard. I still think that this is our biggest weakness.

2. UT
First, let me just first say that Johnson, Muir and Foster have been very good finds for Polian. Johnson and Muir do a fine job of clogging up the middle and making the RBs have to make extra cuts and forcing them to go to the outside where our fast DBs and LBs can chase them down. Foster is a fine rotation player, who has a good motor and provides energy when he doesn't have to play a lot of snaps. With that being said, we generate virtually no pass-rush from the inside. This has been a problem for a while and it again manifested itself yesterday. Brees was able to step up in the pocket with ease.

3. OT
This one might come as a surprise to some, but in all honesty, I'm actually hoping that we can get a stud OT in the first round simply because this seems like the deepest position in the draft. I can live with Charlie Johnson. He isn't a franchise LT, but he is a capable player. He's one of those guys that gets the most out of his abilities. It would be great if Ugoh would develop, but that doesn't look likely.

4. DB
I'm sure that lots of Colts' fans will blame our SB loss on our secondary. Although they were FAR from great, I don't think it's fair to just lay the full blame on these guys. Colts' coaching staff decided to take the deep play away from the Saints and make them win it the patient way, which is exactly what they did. Our Corners were giving a big cushion the whole game, but that was by design. With that being said, we need more depth here, both at CB and Safety. It doesn't help that several of our starters will hit free agency soon and we'll probably have to make some tough decisions.

5. DE
I think the whole nation saw yesterday just how much a healthy Dwight Freeney means to our defense. He was going well in the first quarter, but then that ankle really started to bother him. You could tell it was a big problem for him. He had it taped and re-taped numerous times. Unless I'm mistaken, we had Dawson and Brock play at DE for a big part of the game. No disrespect to those guys, but we are in trouble when we have to rely on them. DE is arguably our most important position. That's the position that is counted on to make the majority of big plays, whether it's sacks, forced fumbles, tackles for loss or pressures that cause errant passes. We clearly need more depth here. I'm not saying that it's a must for us to find another Freeney or Mathis, but someone that can substitute them on occasion and play well could really help.

EDIT: I know that we have a separate thread for rosters/needs, but since we rely HEAVILY on the draft when it comes to addressing our needs, this is an appropriate thread for this imo.

chad72
02-09-2010, 02:20 PM
My reasoning: DEs and CBs are game changers, OTs and OGs are not, unless they are the elite kind, and that could be why Polian mostly goes for a DE or CB earlier, or a skill position player.

Round 1 first option: Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan (too much reliance on bad backup depth on DL, where there is a lot of rotation, Keyunta Dawson should not sniff a SB DL lineup, can't settle for such situations since Freeney and Mathis have been banged up on and off the last 3 years). Brandon Graham had a great Senior Bowl but may be rising draft boards now and may not be available to us but you never know, he will be an instant backup and a starter in a few years from now.

Round 1 second option: Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers - Excellent zone coverage corner, capable of man coverage, good closing speed, good run support and tackling - I like all that I am reading about him. Here are a couple of interesting reads about him:

Interview: http://profootball.scout.com/2/941501.html

Analysis: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/563691

Round 2 first option: Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia

Round 2 second option: Tyson Alualu, DT, California

Both these DTs showed explosive burst off the snap in a gap penetrating scheme in the Senior Bowl, just the kind we need to push the pocket in the middle as a UT.

Round 3 first option: Roger Saffold, OT, Indiana (excellent project and prospect, very versatile, and should start in a year or two)

Round 3 second option: Brandon Carter, OG, Texas Tech (very good mauler at the point of contact, with good coaching, can easily get us going in the running game)

Round 4 first option: Darryl Sharpton, ILB, Miami (very athletic, plays better inside than outside in space)

Round 4 second option: A.J.Edds, OLB, Iowa (very good instincts, plays very well in coverage and space, compares to Ben Lieber of the Vikings)

Round 5: Kendrick Lewis, FS, Ole Miss (one of the sleepers of the draft, with Bethea's contract looming and Aaron francisco as his depth, I'd like better depth, we are set at strong safety with Bullitt backing up Sanders but if we lose Bethea, our ball hawking suffers big time and Kendrick Lewis is a good roaming safety)

That is as far as my mock goes.:)

MaxV
02-09-2010, 04:02 PM
That's pretty good. I love the Atkins and Saffold picks. I'm really high on both of those guys.

Edds is our kind of LB also. And of course Graham is our kind of DE.

I don't know much about the rest.

Seamus2602
02-09-2010, 04:56 PM
1. OG
It's interesting that arguably our 2 best rushing games were the last two games of the season. Our Line definitely saved their best effort for last. With that being said, I don't think that either Pollak or Devan are our long-term solutions at guard. I still think that this is our biggest weakness.

Lilja's return has been really big for the team and I really felt he should have been named to the Pro Bowl this year. He is the team's best run blocker by some distance (and probably second only to Saturday as a pass blocker). The problem with only focusing on Guard as the problems in our run game is letting Johnson, Saturday and Diem off the hook. I would say Charlie Johnson (while a decent pass blocker) is a major liability in run blocking (think Dallas Clark style liability in run blocking), while both Saturday and Diem don't have the pace to set the edge (and Saturday doesn't have the physicality to handle the bigger interior linemen). A lot of the problem with the O-Line isn't just in the players but in the scheme and mentality of the Offense. If we bring in better run blockers then we lose some of Manning's protection. Long term, the team need to target Left Tackle, Right Tackle, Center and Guard, starting probably with the two Tackles. I would stake a lot on saying that when it came to Run Blocking Kyle DeVan vastly outperformed Charlie Johnson.

2. UT
First, let me just first say that Johnson, Muir and Foster have been very good finds for Polian. Johnson and Muir do a fine job of clogging up the middle and making the RBs have to make extra cuts and forcing them to go to the outside where our fast DBs and LBs can chase them down. Foster is a fine rotation player, who has a good motor and provides energy when he doesn't have to play a lot of snaps. With that being said, we generate virtually no pass-rush from the inside. This has been a problem for a while and it again manifested itself yesterday. Brees was able to step up in the pocket with ease.

I can't see it. If the team take a DT it will be to play Nose as both Mookie and Dan Muir's contracts are both up at the end of the year. We got good play out of Foster this year but there was a noticable drop off in Raheem Brock's play this year (in both stopping the run and rushing the passer) while Moala did very little this year. That being said the team have Foster and Brock to rotate (possibly even Dawson) and will hope for Moala to contribute more next season. I can't see them investing another high pick just because Moala had a bad rookie campaign.

3. OT
This one might come as a surprise to some, but in all honesty, I'm actually hoping that we can get a stud OT in the first round simply because this seems like the deepest position in the draft. I can live with Charlie Johnson. He isn't a franchise LT, but he is a capable player. He's one of those guys that gets the most out of his abilities. It would be great if Ugoh would develop, but that doesn't look likely.

As I said above I think Johnson has been decent. He hasn't been brilliant, he has simply been an improvment (in the passing game at least) on Tony Ugoh. We need a Franchise LT, especially as Manning enters the twilight of his career and for a post-Manning era. The fact of the matter is that Johnson is a liability in run blocking, and gave up the most sacks, the most hits and the most pressures in the team this year.

4. DB
I'm sure that lots of Colts' fans will blame our SB loss on our secondary. Although they were FAR from great, I don't think it's fair to just lay the full blame on these guys. Colts' coaching staff decided to take the deep play away from the Saints and make them win it the patient way, which is exactly what they did. Our Corners were giving a big cushion the whole game, but that was by design. With that being said, we need more depth here, both at CB and Safety. It doesn't help that several of our starters will hit free agency soon and we'll probably have to make some tough decisions.[/QUOTE]

With Bethea, Bullitt, Jackson and Jennings all hitting Free Agency this offseason I can see the DBs being addressed in the draft. We will take Safety early on if we don't resign Bethea, who's play this season may have priced him out of what the team were willing to play (he has been to two Pro Bowls in three years), which is either a good measure of Bethea's play or an indictment on the Pro Bowl. We have our starting Corners in Hayden and Powers and our Nickle in Lacey. But both Hayden and Powers were hurt at times this year and so I could see us adding another Corner in the draft (and possibly another through UDFA). We will replace Safeties if we lose them.

5. DE
I think the whole nation saw yesterday just how much a healthy Dwight Freeney means to our defense. He was going well in the first quarter, but then that ankle really started to bother him. You could tell it was a big problem for him. He had it taped and re-taped numerous times. Unless I'm mistaken, we had Dawson and Brock play at DE for a big part of the game. No disrespect to those guys, but we are in trouble when we have to rely on them. DE is arguably our most important position. That's the position that is counted on to make the majority of big plays, whether it's sacks, forced fumbles, tackles for loss or pressures that cause errant passes. We clearly need more depth here. I'm not saying that it's a must for us to find another Freeney or Mathis, but someone that can substitute them on occasion and play well could really help.

The Tampa 2 is based around 4 positions and the Colts, after Freeney went down, possibly had 1 (and that is arguably as I think Clint Session is a brilliant player but no one is going to mistake him for Derrick Brooks) and arguably didn't have any of them. We need better Defensive End depth but I can't see us addressing it early on as it is massively a luxury pick. Maybe a look at the likes of Jermaine Cunningham from Florida in the later rounds would be a better choice.

chad72
02-09-2010, 07:13 PM
If we bring in better run blockers then we lose some of Manning's protection.

The Saints, with their Pro Bowl guards, just proved to me that you can get adequate protection for a QB even if you are in the 330 lb range. If they can protect Brees, who holds on to the ball a tad longer than Manning, I am sure the Colts can make it work with Manning easily.

Seamus2602
02-10-2010, 06:00 AM
The Saints, with their Pro Bowl guards, just proved to me that you can get adequate protection for a QB even if you are in the 330 lb range. If they can protect Brees, who holds on to the ball a tad longer than Manning, I am sure the Colts can make it work with Manning easily.

One of the Saints Guards is an All-Pro and the other is one of the major Offensive Line draft steals of the last couple of years. It is easier said than done to find a player of either Evans or Nicks ability without giving up a significantly high pick, and Polian has already siad he isn't as good at projecting Offensive Line guys as he is other positions. I could see us going for a Guard in the 2nd or 3rd Round this year and he will be bigger than normal but not 330lb. I expect more along the lines of 310, heavier than normal for a Colts Guard but still mobile enough to pick up the Pass Rush and get to the outside and second level on runs.

killxswitch
02-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Our OLmen aren't even that good in pass protection. I'd say bring in some maulers who can open up running lanes for more than 1 second. It's Manning's quick release that protects him moreso than the OL's pass protection skills.

If Polian is bad at picking OLmen he should have someone else do it. 5 OL picks in the last 3 drafts and they barely get any playing time.

killxswitch
02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
I made a long post on another forum but I might as well post it here:

There are a few positions like QB, RB, and WR that I think the Colts can safely ignore unless the value is just unbelievable. Beyond that, depth can be improved across the board. If it were me I would look at OL and DL first but if the Colts selected a high-value LB or DB I wouldn't be too upset.

When your team is already built to win the SB with no major weaknesses you can pick based largely on BPA, which is what Polian likes to say he does anyway.

Some good prospects in this draft that we (IMO) have a shot at are:

TE: Rob Gronkowski (Arizona), Michael Hoomanawanui (Illinois), Nate Byham (Pittsburgh)
OT: Vladimir Ducasse (Mass), Bruce Campbell (Maryland), Charles Brown (USC), Anthony Davis (Rutgers), Jared Veldheer (Hillsdale), Jason Fox (Miami FLA)
OG/C: Jon Asamoah (Illinois), Maurkice Pouncey (Florida), Mike Johnson (Alabama), Sergio Render (VA Tech), John Jerry (Ole Miss)

DE: Jason Pierre-Paul (South Florida), Brandon Graham (Michigan), Greg Hardy (Ole Miss), Jerry Hughes (TCU), Everson Griffen (Southern Cal), Alex Carrington (Arkansas State), Jermaine Cunningham (Florida), Koa Misi (Utah), O'Brien Schofield (Wisconsin), George Selvie (South Florida), Austen Lane (Murray State), Larry Hart (Central Arkansas), Arthur Moats (James Madison)
DT: Brian Price (UCLA), Jared Odrick (Penn State), Arthur Jones (Syracuse), Geno Atkins (Georgia), Vince Oghobaase (Duke), D'Anthony Smith (Louisiana Tech), Lamarr Houston (Texas), Tyson Alualu (California), Cam Thomas (UNC)

LB: Sean Weatherspoon (Missouri), Daryl Washington (TCU), Brandon Spikes (Florida), Navorro Bowman (Penn State), Pat Angerer (Iowa), Roddrick Muckelroy (Texas), Sean Lee (Penn State), Darryl Sharpton (Miami FLA)

CB: Perrish Cox (Oklahoma), Donovan Warren (Michigan), Kareem Jackson (Alabama), Brandon Ghee (Wake Forest), Kyle Wilson (Boise State), Jerome Murphy (South Florida), Devin McCourty (Rutgers), Javier Arenas (Alabama), Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (Indiana PA), Patrick Stoudamire (Western Ill), Walter McFadden (Auburn)

S: Taylor Mays (USC), Chad Jones (LSU), Nate Allen (South Florida), Reshad Jones (Georgia), Myron Lewis (Vanderbilt), Larry Assante (Nebraska), Myron Rolle (FSU)

chad72
02-10-2010, 03:58 PM
If we cannot get a UT in this draft, I don't know when we will. Brian Price, Jared Odrick, Tyson Alualu, Geno Atkins, and LaMarr Houston - the first 2 rounds will be loaded with these high motor talents and we need that presence in the middle to push the pocket.

MaxV
02-10-2010, 09:40 PM
There is also several talented OTs in this draft. Although there is no chance of Anthony Davis falling to us.

O-Line should definitely be a priority for this draft. I will be disappointed if Polian and Caldwell decide to leave the O-Line as it is. We can definitely upgrade it.

More play-makers on D are also needed and in all 3 parts (DL, LB and secondary).

Do we have a lot of urgent needs? No. But we do have several positions where upgrades could be made and we also have several starters that could potentially be leaving.

killxswitch
02-11-2010, 09:35 AM
There is also several talented OTs in this draft. Although there is no chance of Anthony Davis falling to us.

O-Line should definitely be a priority for this draft. I will be disappointed if Polian and Caldwell decide to leave the O-Line as it is. We can definitely upgrade it.

More play-makers on D are also needed and in all 3 parts (DL, LB and secondary).

Do we have a lot of urgent needs? No. But we do have several positions where upgrades could be made and we also have several starters that could potentially be leaving.

You could be right about Davis, I don't have a good feel for where he'll go yet. I think with Polians comments about the OL playing a bad game in the SB would indicate they're going to try to draft OL again. Hopefully it works better this time than last time.

If we come out of this draft with some OL, a DE that can rush the passer, and maybe a KR/PR, it will be a success IMO.

And I agree, a UT in this draft should be possible. There's a ton of that talent.

chad72
02-24-2010, 02:04 PM
1st round: Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers (good zone corner, very capable of man coverage, very willing in run support and tackles well, physical in nature and has done returns too) - have a suspicion Brandon Graham and Jason Pierre Paul will be gone by the time we pick at #31

2nd round: Roger Saffold, OT, Indiana (excellent feet, great prospect, very versatile)

3rd round: Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia (disruptive UT, pocket penetrator) - I am hoping he is here

4th round: A.J. Edds, OLB, Iowa (very good in space and coverage, tackles well, plays best outside)

5th round: E.J. Wilson, DE, North Carolina (more bulkier DE than we have had around 289 lbs, might be what we need, can be UT on passing downs too if needed in rotation in case of injuries)

5th round compensatory pick for Hunter Smith: Nate Byham, TE, Pittsburgh (very good blocking TE that had great pass catching production the previous season and played more blocking TE this last season)

7th round: Andre Neblett, DT, Temple (at 6'0", 297 lbs, is very athletic, played NT in a 3-4 but is way too little to play NT in a 3-4 at the next level, he is being prospected as a 3 technique, along the same lines as Fili Moala and Tyson Alualu who played DE in a 3-4)

Seamus2602
02-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Indianapolis Colts - 2010 NFL Draft

1st Round – 31st Overall – Jermaine Gresham – Tight End – Senior – Oklahoma Sooners

http://i49.tinypic.com/2i8iqo2.jpg

Alright, I know I’m going to take some flak for this one but don’t doubt the possibility. There has been increased talk that Bill Polian maybe targeting a Tight End. It makes more sense than targeting another high Defensive Tackle (Polian rarely takes Defensive Tackles high) and drafting someone like Price will basically declare the team are finished with the Moala experiment. Similarly, Polian doesn’t normally draft Offensive Linemen that high (and when he does draft them high it comes back to bite him in the ass, like Ugoh and Pollak). One thing you can normally count on Bill Polian doing with the team’s first round pick is an offensive skill position. The team love playing the two Tight End set. It opens up room in the run game but also provides good pass catching options. Gresham would be a significant upgrade in run blocking compared to Robinson, Santi or Tamme, never mind his unbelievable pass catching skills. Having Gresham would improve the passing ability of the two Tight End set, the play action in the two Tight End set and runs to the left hand side of the two Tight End set, not to mention the ability to spell Clark as he gets older.

2nd Round – 63rd Overall – Jason Fox – Offensive Tackle – Senior – Miami Hurricanes

http://i46.tinypic.com/1qfgxw.jpg

Jason Fox may have to move to Right Tackle in the pros but in the mean time we will assess him as a Left Tackle prospect. He has the agility to beat the defender to the edge and has quick, active hands that he uses well to control the defender when he keeps his feet moving. He bends at the knees and has the strength to anchor against the bull-rush, which was a key problem for Tony Ugoh. Fox is a solid pass blocker who reacts efficiently and correctly to the surprising blitz and loop. He will have to prove that he can play Left Tackle and if he can he will be an improvement on Charlie Johnson's pass blocking skills. In run blocking Fox is strong enough to turn his opponent, but isn't a road grader that can consistently drive his opponent off the ball. He is very good at setting the edge and is good at engaging blocks in space. He will be a massive improvement over Charlie Johnson in the run game. Fox is an intelligent, quick Offensive Tackle. He does have some durability concerns but was able to play through a number of injuries in college, which will be a welcome change from Tony Ugoh. Fox may be a year away from becoming a fully fledged starter and so the team should tender Charlie Johnson.

3rd Round – 95th Overall – Torrell Troup – Defensive Tackle – Senior – UCF Knights

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ee9dgw.jpg

Troop is a very strong player and will be primarily used as a nose tackle. Troop uses a low centre of gravity and thick upper body to gain leverage and is quick and powerful off the snap, penetrating easily against man-up blocks. He can stand his ground against single and double blocks using his girth and strength and is able to get to the ball carrier through a lot of traffic. He is mostly a bull rusher when asked to pass rush but won't be used heavily to next year. With Mookie and Dan Muir's contracts both being up this gives the team the ability to replace them with someone with a hardworking, consistent run stopper.

4th Round – 130th Overall – Akwasi Owusu-Ansah – Cornerback – Senior – IUP Crimson Hawks

http://i46.tinypic.com/kaqkub.jpg

My biggest problem with Owusu-Ansah is that I have no idea whatsoever has to how to pronounce his name. Owusu-Ansah is a Division II prospect but has the talent to make a number of teams willing the pull the trigger on him. He will do very well in a zone coverage system. He has the speed, burst, size and fluency to excel in the Cover 2. He developed into a bit of a ball hawk at IUP and is a threat to take it to the house on interceptions (scoring two defensive touchdowns on ten interceptions). A big plus for the Colts is that he is a dynamic Return Specialist. Owusu-Ansah scored seven return touchdowns (three kickoff returns and four punt returns) in his college career. Owusu-Ansah would be a big upgrade over Chad Simpson in the return game and will slot in very well as the Dime Cornerback.

5th Round – 162nd Overall – Zane Beadles – Offensive Guard – Redshirted Senior – Utah Utes

http://i48.tinypic.com/p3hhd.jpg

Beadles played mostly as at Left Tackle in College but most scouts doubt he has either the height or the athleticism to play Left Tackle in the Pros. He is very good in pass blocking, setting up his blocks quickly, with solid footwork and smooth lateral movement. He has good awareness against Safety and Linebacker blitzes but may struggle against the larger Nose Tackles the NFL have to offer. He isn't solid in run blocking but does have some good tools to use and would be an improvement over Kyle DeVan. He gets very low on his man, helping him to drive his opponent backward. He fits the Colts style of Offensive Linemen, being quick, solid in pass protection and intelligent. He is probably a year or so from contributing in the NFL though as he took the majority of his snaps from the two point stance and will need to adjust.

7th Round – 234th Overall – Aaron Pettrey – Placekicker – Redshirted Senior – Ohio State Buckeyes

http://i45.tinypic.com/2qavmgh.jpg

Pettrey has very good leg strength, making 50+ yard field goals without losing a lot of trajectory because of his height and upright kicking style. He doesn't suffer from a lot of drift on his kicks. He strikes the ball well but will need to speed up his setup at the next level. He has generally been pretty accurate and has made clutch kicks in bowl games.

Compensatory Pick – 245th Overall – Danny Batten – Defensive End – Red Shirted Senior – South Dakota State Jackrabbits

http://i50.tinypic.com/bi15wi.jpg

Batten's work ethic, versatility, strength and hustle endear him to NFL teams and he will provide very good depth and the ability to make plays on Special Teams. Batten has a surprising mixture of speed (he has the second fastest projected 40 time amongst Defensive Ends in the draft), strength and effort. He doesn't have very good pass rushing skills and most of his pressure comes from effort but he will provide good depth at Defensive End, mostly because he is also solid in the run game. He has a strong ability to disengage blocks and can hit his gap with authority.

chad72
02-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Indianapolis Colts - 2010 NFL Draft

1st Round – 31st Overall – Jermaine Gresham – Tight End – Senior – Oklahoma Sooners

http://i49.tinypic.com/2i8iqo2.jpg

Alright, I know I’m going to take some flak for this one but don’t doubt the possibility. There has been increased talk that Bill Polian maybe targeting a Tight End. It makes more sense than targeting another high Defensive Tackle (Polian rarely takes Defensive Tackles high) and drafting someone like Price will basically declare the team are finished with the Moala experiment. Similarly, Polian doesn’t normally draft Offensive Linemen that high (and when he does draft them high it comes back to bite him in the ass, like Ugoh and Pollak). One thing you can normally count on Bill Polian doing with the team’s first round pick is an offensive skill position. The team love playing the two Tight End set. It opens up room in the run game but also provides good pass catching options. Gresham would be a significant upgrade in run blocking compared to Robinson, Santi or Tamme, never mind his unbelievable pass catching skills. Having Gresham would improve the passing ability of the two Tight End set, the play action in the two Tight End set and runs to the left hand side of the two Tight End set, not to mention the ability to spell Clark as he gets older.

2nd Round – 63rd Overall – Jason Fox – Offensive Tackle – Senior – Miami Hurricanes

http://i46.tinypic.com/1qfgxw.jpg

Jason Fox may have to move to Right Tackle in the pros but in the mean time we will assess him as a Left Tackle prospect. He has the agility to beat the defender to the edge and has quick, active hands that he uses well to control the defender when he keeps his feet moving. He bends at the knees and has the strength to anchor against the bull-rush, which was a key problem for Tony Ugoh. Fox is a solid pass blocker who reacts efficiently and correctly to the surprising blitz and loop. He will have to prove that he can play Left Tackle and if he can he will be an improvement on Charlie Johnson's pass blocking skills. In run blocking Fox is strong enough to turn his opponent, but isn't a road grader that can consistently drive his opponent off the ball. He is very good at setting the edge and is good at engaging blocks in space. He will be a massive improvement over Charlie Johnson in the run game. Fox is an intelligent, quick Offensive Tackle. He does have some durability concerns but was able to play through a number of injuries in college, which will be a welcome change from Tony Ugoh. Fox may be a year away from becoming a fully fledged starter and so the team should tender Charlie Johnson.

3rd Round – 95th Overall – Torrell Troup – Defensive Tackle – Senior – UCF Knights

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ee9dgw.jpg

Troop is a very strong player and will be primarily used as a nose tackle. Troop uses a low centre of gravity and thick upper body to gain leverage and is quick and powerful off the snap, penetrating easily against man-up blocks. He can stand his ground against single and double blocks using his girth and strength and is able to get to the ball carrier through a lot of traffic. He is mostly a bull rusher when asked to pass rush but won't be used heavily to next year. With Mookie and Dan Muir's contracts both being up this gives the team the ability to replace them with someone with a hardworking, consistent run stopper.

4th Round – 130th Overall – Akwasi Owusu-Ansah – Cornerback – Senior – IUP Crimson Hawks

http://i46.tinypic.com/kaqkub.jpg

My biggest problem with Owusu-Ansah is that I have no idea whatsoever has to how to pronounce his name. Owusu-Ansah is a Division II prospect but has the talent to make a number of teams willing the pull the trigger on him. He will do very well in a zone coverage system. He has the speed, burst, size and fluency to excel in the Cover 2. He developed into a bit of a ball hawk at IUP and is a threat to take it to the house on interceptions (scoring two defensive touchdowns on ten interceptions). A big plus for the Colts is that he is a dynamic Return Specialist. Owusu-Ansah scored seven return touchdowns (three kickoff returns and four punt returns) in his college career. Owusu-Ansah would be a big upgrade over Chad Simpson in the return game and will slot in very well as the Dime Cornerback.

5th Round – 162nd Overall – Zane Beadles – Offensive Guard – Redshirted Senior – Utah Utes

http://i48.tinypic.com/p3hhd.jpg

Beadles played mostly as at Left Tackle in College but most scouts doubt he has either the height or the athleticism to play Left Tackle in the Pros. He is very good in pass blocking, setting up his blocks quickly, with solid footwork and smooth lateral movement. He has good awareness against Safety and Linebacker blitzes but may struggle against the larger Nose Tackles the NFL have to offer. He isn't solid in run blocking but does have some good tools to use and would be an improvement over Kyle DeVan. He gets very low on his man, helping him to drive his opponent backward. He fits the Colts style of Offensive Linemen, being quick, solid in pass protection and intelligent. He is probably a year or so from contributing in the NFL though as he took the majority of his snaps from the two point stance and will need to adjust.

7th Round – 234th Overall – Aaron Pettrey – Placekicker – Redshirted Senior – Ohio State Buckeyes

http://i45.tinypic.com/2qavmgh.jpg

Pettrey has very good leg strength, making 50+ yard field goals without losing a lot of trajectory because of his height and upright kicking style. He doesn't suffer from a lot of drift on his kicks. He strikes the ball well but will need to speed up his setup at the next level. He has generally been pretty accurate and has made clutch kicks in bowl games.

Compensatory Pick – 245th Overall – Danny Batten – Defensive End – Red Shirted Senior – South Dakota State Jackrabbits

http://i50.tinypic.com/bi15wi.jpg

Batten's work ethic, versatility, strength and hustle endear him to NFL teams and he will provide very good depth and the ability to make plays on Special Teams. Batten has a surprising mixture of speed (he has the second fastest projected 40 time amongst Defensive Ends in the draft), strength and effort. He doesn't have very good pass rushing skills and most of his pressure comes from effort but he will provide good depth at Defensive End, mostly because he is also solid in the run game. He has a strong ability to disengage blocks and can hit his gap with authority.

I do not think Gresham will be available at No.31, either the Patriots (due to Ben Watson's uncertainty or declining TE production) or the Ravens (due to Todd Heap's age) will pull the trigger on him. If he does fall, it is a no brainer to me but I just do not think it will happen. Second, the kind of DT the Colts need is the pass rushing disruptive kind, a UT - like a Brian Price, Jared Odrick, Tyson Alualu, Geno Atkins, not another run stopping NT kind unless that NT has ungodly pass rush skills. I highly doubt that both AJ & Muir will be gone since Polian will offer good tenders for both of them, and surprisingly, run stopping was not our issue last year, pass rush from the DT position was our issue. Plus, Fili Moala that we are developing was also assessed to be more of a run stopper than pass rusher though he was drafted to be UT in our system (his pick was a head scratcher to me). So, we do not need another DT that is a run stopper early in the draft, I can see one later in the draft or an UDFA, just not the first 4 rounds, I see more of the pass rushing UT in the first few rounds.

If we had played balanced offensive teams like the Chargers in full strength in the playoffs, chances are, we don't get past them due to our pass rush deficiency in the middle.

I am surprised you have Polian picking up no linebacker on day 2. With Wheeler being just average and Hagler not getting through a season uninjured, our weakside LB corp does need help.

Seamus2602
02-25-2010, 03:21 PM
I do not think Gresham will be available at No.31, either the Patriots (due to Ben Watson's uncertainty or declining TE production) or the Ravens (due to Todd Heap's age) will pull the trigger on him. If he does fall, it is a no brainer to me but I just do not think it will happen.

I really can't see the Patriots going for Gresham. Patriots have needs at RB, WR, multiple O-Line positions, 5 Tech, NT, ILB, rush LB and CB. TE would be a luxury pick for them. I also think the Ravens have more pressing needs to address, especially at WR, and there is a good chance that they will hold off and not take Gresham.

Second, the kind of DT the Colts need is the pass rushing disruptive kind, a UT - like a Brian Price, Jared Odrick, Tyson Alualu, Geno Atkins, not another run stopping NT kind unless that NT has ungodly pass rush skills. I highly doubt that both AJ & Muir will be gone since Polian will offer good tenders for both of them, and surprisingly, run stopping was not our issue last year, pass rush from the DT position was our issue. Plus, Fili Moala that we are developing was also assessed to be more of a run stopper than pass rusher though he was drafted to be UT in our system (his pick was a head scratcher to me). So, we do not need another DT that is a run stopper early in the draft, I can see one later in the draft or an UDFA, just not the first 4 rounds, I see more of the pass rushing UT in the first few rounds.

When you draft a Defensive Tackle in the top 2 rounds you expect him to be able to do a bit of both. Moala rotated a lot on passing downs, spelling Eric Foster. His future with the team is at 3 Tech, not at Nose. And I just think that if we take a high 3 Tech, and resign both Mookie and Muir, then where does Moala get his snaps in? With Foster, Mookie, Muir, the new Rookie, as well as Brock and Dawson taking some snaps at DT, where does Fili Moala get his playing time. I think that if we draft a player in the top 2 rounds then we are basically saying that we are giving up on Moala. The fact of the matter remains that while we were much improved in run defense this season we were still 24th in the league in yards, mid table in yards per carry and 20th in runs giving up for first downs. We upgraded the run defense but lets not claim that there isn't significant room for improvment. I think we can improve our interior pass rush I just don't think Polian is going to move on it this year. He is going to give Moala another year.

"If we had played balanced offensive teams like the Chargers in full strength in the playoffs, chances are, we don't get past them due to our pass rush deficiency in the middle."

I agree that we need to improve the interior pass rush. I just don't think we are going to do it this year. Also it isn't the balanced offenses that cause problems with no interior rush. It is the teams with smart Quarterbacks who know to step up into the pocket, like say Drew Brees.

I am surprised you have Polian picking up no linebacker on day 2. With Wheeler being just average and Hagler not getting through a season uninjured, our weakside LB corp does need help.

Well firstly Hagler and Wheeler are Strongside Linebackers, not Weakside. Secondly I think Wheeler played pretty well in Hagler's absence. Thirdly, the SAM linebacker position is a relatively junior position for the Colts. The Colts took 1328 defensive snaps last season, and there was a SAM linebacker on the field for 720 of those snaps. So the SAMs only took about 55% of the snaps. I think between Hagler and a former third round pick that we have enough for a position taking 55% of the defensive snaps.

MaxV
02-25-2010, 03:44 PM
I REALLY want one of Bruce Campbell, Jason Fox, Jared Veldheer, Rodger Saffold or Jon Asamoah to be Colt. Maybe even multiple of those.

killxswitch
02-26-2010, 07:56 AM
I REALLY want one of Bruce Campbell, Jason Fox, Jared Veldheer, Rodger Saffold or Jon Asamoah to be Colt. Maybe even multiple of those.

There was some talk on PFW.com (I think that's where it was anyway) that the Colts might be trending away from the smaller, quicker linemen that they've gone after in the past. That was supposedly Mudd's preference, and now that he's gone we supposedly might see some bigger guards. I threw in enough qualifying words there, didn't I? No idea if any of that is true, but I hope so.

At OT, some realistic guys I'd like the Colts to consider are Jason Fox, Jared Veldheer, Charles Brown (303 lbs. at the Combine!), Vlad Ducasse (though he'd probably be a guard he's technically a T), and Marshall Newhouse (another probable guard).

At OG/C, prospects include Maurkice Pouncey, Jon Asamoah, Sergio Render, Mike Johnson.

We also still have Jaimie Thomas, whom the Colts signed to a future contract. He will probably be in the mix in camp at the OG position.

chad72
03-02-2010, 10:14 AM
I really can't see the Patriots going for Gresham. Patriots have needs at RB, WR, multiple O-Line positions, 5 Tech, NT, ILB, rush LB and CB. TE would be a luxury pick for them. I also think the Ravens have more pressing needs to address, especially at WR, and there is a good chance that they will hold off and not take Gresham.

Well, the Bengals need TE help too, let us not forget them. Yes, a TE is a luxury pick for the Pats, I agree but I wouldn't put it past them. With the way teams are cutting key players left and right, if Ben Watson is cut, it changes the equation totally for the Pats. I just do not see the Ravens sticking with Todd Heap either. Good WRs like Blair White or Jordan Shipley would be there for the Ravens in round 2 but there are only a few real good TEs that can block and catch, and Greisham is one of them.

When you draft a Defensive Tackle in the top 2 rounds you expect him to be able to do a bit of both. Moala rotated a lot on passing downs, spelling Eric Foster. His future with the team is at 3 Tech, not at Nose. And I just think that if we take a high 3 Tech, and resign both Mookie and Muir, then where does Moala get his snaps in? With Foster, Mookie, Muir, the new Rookie, as well as Brock and Dawson taking some snaps at DT, where does Fili Moala get his playing time. I think that if we draft a player in the top 2 rounds then we are basically saying that we are giving up on Moala. The fact of the matter remains that while we were much improved in run defense this season we were still 24th in the league in yards, mid table in yards per carry and 20th in runs giving up for first downs. We upgraded the run defense but lets not claim that there isn't significant room for improvment. I think we can improve our interior pass rush I just don't think Polian is going to move on it this year. He is going to give Moala another year.

My feeling is that with Brackett's contract being front loaded in an uncapped year and Brock and Dawson not being effective, both Brock and Dawson could be gone. This increases the need for a quality disruptive 3-technique UT, no two ways about it. Besides, this is one of the best drafts for that kind of UT, Polian would be stupid to not draft a UT on day 1 with possibly Alualu and Atkins around when he picks in round 2. Moala couldn't crack our starting lineup and was prospected more as a run stuffer than interior pass rusher which I think is his ceiling, that is why with the workouts that Atkins has had in the Senior Bowl and combine, I would love to have him in our DT rotation for the interior pass rush. Enough of the ones who cannot get it done with Foster, Brock and Dawson, we need just one of them. I seriously think Polian should trade down and get more picks in return for our 1st round pick since the elite LTs will be gone by No.31 unless we trade up. We can also get an extra top of the 2nd and 4th for our 1st.

Well firstly Hagler and Wheeler are Strongside Linebackers, not Weakside. Secondly I think Wheeler played pretty well in Hagler's absence. Thirdly, the SAM linebacker position is a relatively junior position for the Colts. The Colts took 1328 defensive snaps last season, and there was a SAM linebacker on the field for 720 of those snaps. So the SAMs only took about 55% of the snaps. I think between Hagler and a former third round pick that we have enough for a position taking 55% of the defensive snaps.

I agree with this. We might still go the UDFA route for our LBs.

Here is a mock I have somewhat settled on after the combine drills:

This draft should be a draft where we either trade up or trade down. If Brackett’s contract is going to be front loaded for this uncapped year (which it will be), I do anticipate a lot of cuts to keep costs down for next year in case it is capped, so it is best to do with draft picks.

Maybe Brock, Dawson, Wheeler will all be gone along with the expected Jennings, Rushing, Baskett. I am not impressed with the play of any of them. It saves money, gets rid of underachieving players for what they are paid, and by trading down, we can get an extra pick, IMO (maybe an extra 2nd & 4th – top 10 kind for our 1st).

Along those lines, I’d like these players:

Round 1 (Polian trades down to the top of the 2nd round in exchange for pick No.38 and pick No.102)

Round 2 early pick (No.38) – Vladimir Ducasse, OT, Massachussetts (has all the tools you need for an RT, can play RG too, all good LT prospects will be gone unless we trade up, so it is best to get our RT prospect first, Diem can only play RT and is not athletic enough to play any other position, so the right side may need to be addressed faster than people think, DeVan or Pollak are not the future at RG, IMO)

Round 2 pick – Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia (I loved his Senior Bowl, his combine workouts, everything about him as a disruptive 3-technique UT)

Round 3 pick – Austen Lane, DE, Murray State

Round 4 early pick (No.102) – Alterraun Verner, CB, UCLA

Round 4 pick – Nate Byham, TE, Pittsburgh

Round 5 pick – Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa / Perry Riley, OLB, LSU (a bit unsure at this point who it should be)

Round 5 compensatory pick for Hunter Smith – Tony Washington, OT, Abilene Christian (he is more of the LT kind, very good prospect, good upside)

Round 7 pick – Aaron Pettrey, Kicker, Ohio State

UKfan
03-02-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm glad that someone else has Atkins, I really want him as a Colt now, big time. To be honest I wouldnt really know enough from seeing game tape to be able to draft too many rounds. But I really want us to fi the trenches, if an OT drops to us out of the big 4 (Williams, Bulaga, Okung, Davis) I would love that, but it wont happen so I would suggest a guard in RD 1 (Iupati if there, else Ducasse), and then Atkins in Rd 2.

Round 3 I would like depth at CB, or possibly a DE / T

killxswitch
03-03-2010, 07:18 AM
I would prefer Price to Atkins but you would obviously need to take Price in the 1st and there is some question as to whether he would even be there then. Targeting Atkins would make it easier to find an OLman in the 1st. Hopefully there's a good one available.

With his miserable 40 time I think Greg Hardy is dropping like a rock on draft boards. He could be a good 3rd rounder.

I don't think we need a CB early. Hayden is getting paid to start and Powers proved he is one of the top 2 CBs on the team. Lacey or Jackson have extensive starting time so either of them being the #3 CB is a good thing IMO. Outside of Joe Haden falling to us I think the Colts will look at talent at other positions early.

MaxV
03-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Scott revised his rankings and he has Bruce Campbell as a 2nd rounder.

Now, personally I would LOVE for Campbell to be drafted by the Colts, even despite the fact that he is raw, but I don't think it'll happen.

I think Campbell will be picked higher. Athletic OT prospects get valued very highly.

UKfan
03-06-2010, 03:54 PM
I very much wouldnt want Campbell, I want a proven LT rather than a freak with poor tape

bigbuc
03-07-2010, 07:37 PM
You guys should sign Jared Gaither to an offer sheet. And him be your 1st round pick.

killxswitch
03-08-2010, 07:19 AM
You guys should sign Jared Gaither to an offer sheet. And him be your 1st round pick.

I agree, but I doubt Polian will go for it. He is just not a player in free agency.

bigbuc
03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
I don't know why he wouldn't do it... The guy is only 23 years old has no background problems and is a top ten LT in this league. Plus he would help out your run game which has not been tip top for two years now. There's nothing like on 3rd and 1 running behind a 6 foot 9 340 pound LT, it's doesn't get any better than that.

chad72
03-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I don't know why he wouldn't do it... The guy is only 23 years old has no background problems and is a top ten LT in this league. Plus he would help out your run game which has not been tip top for two years now. There's nothing like on 3rd and 1 running behind a 6 foot 9 340 pound LT, it's doesn't get any better than that.

The thing is, the Ravens know they are not going to get anyone better at #25 or #31. But they do not want to overpay Gaither. The Colts do not overpay for free agents, so chances are, the Ravens match the Colts offer even if we give up our first round pick thus retaining him. Plus, the Colts have too much respect for Ozzie Newsome to include any poison pill clauses in the contract like the Vikes did with the Seahawks with the Hutchinson deal. That is why this is unlikely to happen.

bigbuc
03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Plus, the Colts have too much respect for Ozzie Newsome to include any poison pill clauses in the contract like the Vikes did with the Seahawks with the Hutchinson deal. That is why this is unlikely to happen.

This is just crazy... To much repect for Ozzie. If it makes your team better you do it, no matter what. If you guys do add a poison pill, Ozzie should call you and say... You got me, tried to save some money and you got me. If Ozzie didn't want anyone messing with his OT he should of slapped him with a 1st and 3rd.

killxswitch
03-08-2010, 10:24 PM
This is just crazy... To much repect for Ozzie. If it makes your team better you do it, no matter what. If you guys do add a poison pill, Ozzie should call you and say... You got me, tried to save some money and you got me. If Ozzie didn't want anyone messing with his OT he should of slapped him with a 1st and 3rd.

With the release of Ryan Lilja we are one step closer to getting Gaither. At least, in my dreams we are. I never expected Polian to drop Lilja like that, or to let it out that the Colts are openly looking to get bigger on the OL. So while I still think it is unlikely, it seems a little more possible they'll bring in Gaither, move Charlie Johnson to RT, and move Ryan Diem to guard.

chad72
03-09-2010, 03:35 PM

...I do think the NFL has some rules regarding poison pill clauses in contracts, just not sure how far it goes and what it states. The least we do is raise the re-signing price of Jared Gaither. Can 2nd offers be made by the Colts if we know the Ravens are willing to match a 1st offer from the Colts? Not sure if it can be done.

But yeah, letting go of Lilja might make the Gaither scenario more likely. But if Gaither does not happen, I doubt that CJ will be moved to guard, Polian would not want Peyton's blind side protected by a rookie, so CJ and Diem will remain at the ends and Saturday at center. The ones that will be drafted will most likely be OGs where we need to get bigger. I can see Jon Jerry of Ole Miss in round 2 or Ducasse at the top of round 2 if Polian trades down. I do however see a tackle prospect like Tony Washington of Abilene Christian drafted as a project for two years down the road.

chad72
03-09-2010, 03:46 PM
With the release of Ryan Lilja we are one step closer to getting Gaither. At least, in my dreams we are. I never expected Polian to drop Lilja like that, or to let it out that the Colts are openly looking to get bigger on the OL. So while I still think it is unlikely, it seems a little more possible they'll bring in Gaither, move Charlie Johnson to RT, and move Ryan Diem to guard.

I think Ryan Diem will stay at RT, he is not as athletic enough as Charlie Johnson is to do pulling as a guard. Charlie might be the future RT but not right now, he will be moved to RG or LG.

killxswitch
03-09-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't think our guards will need to pull much anymore. I doubt we see the stretch again. It just doesn't work, Manning doesn't get to the right spot fast enough anymore.

killxswitch
03-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Alright guys, here's a question. If all these players were somehow available at the 31st pick, which would you want?

In no particular order:

- Brian Price, DT, UCLA
- Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
- Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
- Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
- Mike Iupati, OL, Oklahoma
- Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
- Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
- Earl Thomas, S, Texas
- Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
- Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
- Charles Brown, OT, USC
- Everson Griffen, DE, UCC
- Jerry Hughes, DE, TCU
- Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Mizzou
- Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
- Taylor Mays, S, USC

UKfan
03-12-2010, 12:13 PM
- Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
- Mike Iupati, OL, Oklahoma
- Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
- Brian Price, DT, UCLA
- Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
- Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
- Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Mizzou

- Charles Brown, OT, USC
- Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
- Jerry Hughes, DE, TCU
- Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
- Everson Griffen, DE, UCC

- Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
- Earl Thomas, S, Texas
- Taylor Mays, S, USC
- Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland

Had a quick go at doing this... you'll see if I have 3 distinct groups, guys I would be very happy with guys I would settle for, and guys I really dont want either due to position of just not impressed with their play...

MaxV
03-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Anthony Davis would top my list, with Trent Williams second.

UKfan, I understand your reasoning regarding Bruce Campbell, but as Polian has mentioned, talented LT prospects don't fall to late-1st round picks usually.

Campbell could be that guy. Sure he's raw, but with some development time, he could be a franchise LT.

Dam8610
03-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Why not just sign/trade for Gaither? At 24, he's almost as young as the rookies, and he has 2 years of starting experience where he's proven to be a very good NFL OT. Surely he's better than any risk the team can take at the 31st pick.

Seamus2602
03-13-2010, 04:51 AM
Why not just sign/trade for Gaither? At 24, he's almost as young as the rookies, and he has 2 years of starting experience where he's proven to be a very good NFL OT. Surely he's better than any risk the team can take at the 31st pick.

Last year the top Offensive Tackle Free Agent got a 6 year, $60M Contract, with $35M guaranteed. Gaither is better than Jordan Gross, he gets the usual one year markup in prices, and he's got 4 years on him. So we get a player for the 31st pick overall, we get a proven starter, and we pay him the sort of money you give to the 1st Overall pick. Why won't the Colts go for Gaither? Because it will cost them, basically, about $9M a year more.

Dam8610
03-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Last year the top Offensive Tackle Free Agent got a 6 year, $60M Contract, with $35M guaranteed. Gaither is better than Jordan Gross, he gets the usual one year markup in prices, and he's got 4 years on him. So we get a player for the 31st pick overall, we get a proven starter, and we pay him the sort of money you give to the 1st Overall pick. Why won't the Colts go for Gaither? Because it will cost them, basically, about $9M a year more.

In a capless year where you can frontload the deal (especially with guarantees), and you lock up your LT position for the next 10+ years with a player who, if he were in this class knowing what we know right now, would be at least the 2nd highest rated OT. The upside on making a move like this easily outweighs the downside.

killxswitch
03-13-2010, 03:54 PM

A proven blindside protector, IMO, is worth it. If we had had the line we had in 06 these past 3 seasons we'd have at least 1 more SB IMO. For such a smart front office I don't understand why they stupidly go after dollar store talent for the group charged with protecting Manning.

chad72
03-15-2010, 11:26 AM
To me, with the talent in this draft, we could get good talent with so many underclassmen declaring well into round 3 or 4.

Hence, the Patriots acquiring of 2nd round picks seems so smart for this draft, yikes, 4 picks in the first 53 picks.

Having said that, I would love for Polian to trade down in this draft and acquire an extra 2nd and 4th round pick (top 10) for pick No.31. This way, our lack of a 6th round pick wouldn't be that much of an issue. I am sure, with the way Hunter Smith played for the Redskins, we could get a possible 5th round compensatory pick too. That is the best I am expecting right now.

We could get one of several - Vladimir Ducasse, Roger Saffold, Jared Veldheer, Jon Jerry etc. in the second round, and possibly Ducasse or Saffold at the top of round 2, if we traded down to it. I feel we should go that route given the depth in this draft.

Dam8610
03-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Four questions arise from that though:

1) Who is going to be left on the board that some other team will want to trade up for? If it's a bad spot, no one is going to do the Colts any favors.
2) Who would the Colts be looking to trade down for and do they feel he'd be available at the slot they trade down to?
3) What players would the Colts want to stay put for and simply draft them? I'm sure if, say by some miracle, Brandon Graham or Taylor Mays is sitting there waiting to be drafted, the Colts stay put.
4) Is gaining the extra draft pick worth losing the year of contract time they get at the end of round 1? A low 1st round pick gets a 5 year deal, a high 2nd round pick gets a 4 year deal.

chad72
03-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Four questions arise from that though:

1) Who is going to be left on the board that some other team will want to trade up for? If it's a bad spot, no one is going to do the Colts any favors.
Ans: Jermaine Gresham or Golden Tate?? If either of those two drop to No.31, I think it may be prudent for the Colts to look for trading partners

2) Who would the Colts be looking to trade down for and do they feel he'd be available at the slot they trade down to?
Ans: Roger Saffold, I know has interviewed with the Colts, just like several other teams. If the Colts feel he would be there at 39 or 40 but can get an extra pick, why not?

3) What players would the Colts want to stay put for and simply draft them?
Ans: Brandon Graham, obviously. Kyle Wilson, obviously. Bruce Campbell too.

4) Is gaining the extra draft pick worth losing the year of contract time they get at the end of round 1?
Ans: If the intent is to put him in the lineup right away (OT, CB, DE - chances are high of that happening), then yes, it is worth it.

These are my answers above

Dam8610
03-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Why Kyle Wilson? Is dimeback a huge need? Graham and Campbell are no brainers, but the Colts are set at CB with Hayden and Powers as starters, and Lacey as the nickel who can spot start effectively. Granted, depth is a need, but you don't draft depth in round 1.

chad72
03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Why Kyle Wilson? Is dimeback a huge need? Graham and Campbell are no brainers, but the Colts are set at CB with Hayden and Powers as starters, and Lacey as the nickel who can spot start effectively. Granted, depth is a need, but you don't draft depth in round 1.

The premise that drafting for nickel alone warrants only a later round pick is not always true with the Colts. To me, Hayden and Powers (granted Powers has been around only 1 year) have also augmented the CB injury history that the Colts have shown year in and year out. So, our nickel CB is one injury away to Hayden and Powers from starting and playing outside, which in all likelihood will happen, no doubts about it in my mind.
My contention is that Lacey is not as good as people think he is. He made very few plays in the SB when Hayden and Powers' playing time became limited, along with Jennings. He does get beat enough times on fakes (Braylon Edwards TD in Jets AFCCG) and slants (Kenny Britt TD) and other cases too, IMO, he is no way as physical as Marlin Jackson in the nickel or Jerraud Powers outside, his best role is a dimeback.
Plus, lightning does not strike twice that we can get another Jerraud Powers in round 3 and hope it pans out. I am not a big fan of Arenas' as a CB who a lot of Colts fans are touting as a good nickel prospect in later rounds, he would be another 5'8" CB for me, a Tim Jennings that can return punts, and that would be it for me.
Having lost 3 out of 6 CBs (Marlin Jackson, Tim Jennings, and T.J.Rushing), drafting 2 CBs is almost a certainty with UDFAs being brought in for competition. The CB depth in this draft is not so good that I feel day 2 picks would be enough for us to get at least 1 quality one. I also believe that both Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty, with their special teams experience at returners, bring physical CB play and starter capability to even replace Lacey at the nickelback position and are both capable of playing outside as well.

Dam8610
03-15-2010, 07:39 PM
The premise that drafting for nickel alone warrants only a later round pick is not always true with the Colts. To me, Hayden and Powers (granted Powers has been around only 1 year) have also augmented the CB injury history that the Colts have shown year in and year out. So, our nickel CB is one injury away to Hayden and Powers from starting and playing outside, which in all likelihood will happen, no doubts about it in my mind.
My contention is that Lacey is not as good as people think he is. He made very few plays in the SB when Hayden and Powers' playing time became limited, along with Jennings. He does get beat enough times on fakes (Braylon Edwards TD in Jets AFCCG) and slants (Kenny Britt TD) and other cases too, IMO, he is no way as physical as Marlin Jackson in the nickel or Jerraud Powers outside, his best role is a dimeback.
Plus, lightning does not strike twice that we can get another Jerraud Powers in round 3 and hope it pans out. I am not a big fan of Arenas' as a CB who a lot of Colts fans are touting as a good nickel prospect in later rounds, he would be another 5'8" CB for me, a Tim Jennings that can return punts, and that would be it for me.
Having lost 3 out of 6 CBs (Marlin Jackson, Tim Jennings, and T.J.Rushing), drafting 2 CBs is almost a certainty with UDFAs being brought in for competition. The CB depth in this draft is not so good that I feel day 2 picks would be enough for us to get at least 1 quality one. I also believe that both Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty, with their special teams experience at returners, bring physical CB play and starter capability to even replace Lacey at the nickelback position and are both capable of playing outside as well.

You can't draft on the basis of "what if an injury occurs" unless you're going to completely count that player out of your plans. Something tells me that Hayden and Powers are a BIG part of the plan at CB for the near future, so either way, if you assume they're going to be injured, you've allocated your resources poorly. I know BPA is a factor, but you can't just completely ignore need in the valuation of BPA, and nickelback never has been, is not, and never will be a first round need, and no CB the Colts draft will have a chance to draft will supplant either starter.
Even if Lacey isn't as good as people think (which I think you're actually being pretty harsh on a UDFA rookie there, he still has his best football ahead IMO), he's slated at nickelback as of now. Yes, he's an injury away from starting at this point, but that goes back to my first point and the fact that he's probably going to get better.
Javier Arenas isn't the only other CB available in this draft aside from the ones in round 1. Grabbing CBs late for depth is not a bad idea. Taking a CB early with the intention of him having a big role early on is, since the top 3 CBs from last season at a minimum will be returning to the roster.
T.J. Rushing is still a Colt to my knowledge, and (as much as it pains me to say this) Tim Jennings can and probably will be resigned. Does that mean that CB shouldn't be addressed at all in this draft? No, but IMO there's no real point in drafting one before Day 3 for the simple fact that they're at best going to be a dimeback for the upcoming season with possible promotion via injury. This team won a Super Bowl with a 4th round pick and a UDFA starting at CB though, so it's not like it's impossible for them to have success at the position with guys that other teams don't value as much.

chad72
03-15-2010, 08:06 PM
T.J. Rushing is still a Colt to my knowledge, and (as much as it pains me to say this) Tim Jennings can and probably will be resigned. Does that mean that CB shouldn't be addressed at all in this draft? No, but IMO there's no real point in drafting one before Day 3 for the simple fact that they're at best going to be a dimeback for the upcoming season with possible promotion via injury. This team won a Super Bowl with a 4th round pick and a UDFA starting at CB though, so it's not like it's impossible for them to have success at the position with guys that other teams don't value as much.

No, my intention is not to diss Lacey. Both Lacey and Powers are not good tacklers, when compared to Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson, who were our best tacklers. In fact, Tim Jennings tackles better than Lacey and Powers, but he just can't cover.:) My concern is that we lost a physical presence in the nickelback position with the loss of Marlin Jackson though Lacey covers better than Marlin Jackson at times, the physical aspect that would be hard to reproduce unless we draft another physical CB.

With Coyer's sytem not playing your vanilla Cover 2 as much as before, an emphasis on our CBs' versatility could be greater, with a capability to hold their own in man coverage if a blitz happens, Hayden and Powers can, but Lacey is more suited to zone. I sometimes hope we can get all our 3 safeties on the field at the same time playing a 4-2-5 formation sometimes with 3 safeties - Bethea, Bullitt and Sanders since our safeties are as fast as our CBs and they can all be playmakers. It is a nickel of a different kind and is not uncommon and they are better tacklers than our CB thus allowing us to defend the run too since Sanders plays like an LB a lot of times anyway.

T.J.Rushing, along with Tim Jennings and Aaron Francisco, was not tendered. He is not on this roster on the colts.com page:

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=roster

My biggest concern has been the play of Kelvin Hayden, which has been less than stellar after getting his big contract. If he has another season like last year, God help us!!! I can see Tim Jennings' value with special teams since he is a good tackler and has speed but nothing more than a 4th string CB, I just hope he never sees the field as a CB for us.

chad72
03-20-2010, 10:24 PM
List of players the Colts have talked to or shown interest in / Pro days Attended (http://forum.colts.com/showthread.php?55021-Tracking-the-Colts-draft-interest&p=1153545#post1153545)

MaxV
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Jerry Hughes.

Not the position that I wanted, but this guy is good.

I want Freeney, Mathis and Hughes on the field at the same time.

MaxV
04-23-2010, 09:08 AM
How would you guys feel about Campbell in the 2nd round?

Seamus2602
04-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Jerry Hughes - DE - TCU Horned Frogs - Senior

http://i43.tinypic.com/244cz5y.jpg

Jerry Hughes
Defensive End/Outside Linebacker
Texas Christian University
Senior
Height - 6'1"¾
Weight - 255lbs

Run Defense: Hughes is obviously a massively undersized defensive end and as such his ability to play the run will be a worry. He is promising when he is being blocked by the likes of a Tight End or the Full Back but doesn't have the size to play against Tackles and Guards in the run game. If he can disengage his block he is a solid tackler, wraps up the ball carrier well and can close down even the quickest of backs (which is a good thing when you play both Chris Johnson and Maurice Jones Drew twice every year).

Pass Rush: Hughes engages in a relentless pursuit of the Quarterback on passing downs, and did well at college level against double and triple blocks. He always tries to get his hand to ball when sacking the Quarterback, causing a lot of fumbles (Hughes forced 8 fumbles in his 27 starts at TCU). He is a bit of a one trick pony though in his pass rushing and will need to acquire some new pass rushing moves.

Pass Defense: At TCU Hughes was asked to drop into zone coverage at times (had 4 passes defense, 3 Interceptions and a touchdown). He doesn't have the greatest coverage skill but could cover Tight Ends and Running Backs pretty well if asked.

Others: One of the things that massively stands out about Hughes is his work ethic. He benched 26 reps of the 225lbs at the Combine showing that he spent a fair amount of time in the weight room and was always willing do participate on special teams.

Overall: I like the Hughes pick. He fills a need at backup defensive end and will help keep both Freeney and Mathis healthy by spelling for them during games. He gives the team more leverage with Robert Mathis’ contract up after this year. The key thing about Hughes is that there will be multiple opportunities to get him on the field early. He can play Defensive End, he can play Outside Linebacker, he could probably, giving his quickness and elusiveness, kick inside a play Joker on pass downs as well as the fact that he can and will play on Special Teams. It ticks the three main boxes in my point of view in that he is good value, at a position of need and he can be used straight away.

Grade: A

Dam8610
04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Why does every scouting report say he's undersized? He's not tall, but he's got bulk and a low COG, so he's going to be tougher to move than a guy who's 3 inches taller than him and roughly the same weight.

RagingColt
04-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Like the pick of Hughes. He can help keep Free and Mathis fresh during games. With some coaching from Teerlinck, I don't see any reason this guy can't become as good as Mathis.

Think on day two of the draft Polian targets Amari Spievey late in the 2nd round and somewhere a Tackle in round 3. Draft is shaping up nicely so far.

Seamus2602
04-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Why does every scouting report say he's undersized? He's not tall, but he's got bulk and a low COG, so he's going to be tougher to move than a guy who's 3 inches taller than him and roughly the same weight.

255lbs is small for a Defensive Linemen. I'm not thinking that much about height but it is the weight that is a worry. Look at the other Defensive Ends taking in the 1st yesterday. Graham 268lbs, JPP 270lbs and Morgan 266lbs, all of them are 10lbs heavier than Hughes. He is small and that will be a worry. He does have a good build but regardless of height 255lbs is easier to move than 270lbs.

killxswitch
04-23-2010, 01:49 PM
255lbs is small for a Defensive Linemen. I'm not thinking that much about height but it is the weight that is a worry. Look at the other Defensive Ends taking in the 1st yesterday. Graham 268lbs, JPP 270lbs and Morgan 266lbs, all of them are 10lbs heavier than Hughes. He is small and that will be a worry. He does have a good build but regardless of height 255lbs is easier to move than 270lbs.

Mathis is sub-250 so with some more bulking (5 lbs. or so) I think Hughes will be just fine. A guy who can play the run and still get to the QB would've been preferable, but we just didn't have a chance to get Brandon Graham.

RCAChainGang
04-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Is Corner a potential position we could go for?

killxswitch
04-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Is Corner a potential position we could go for?

I hope it's not a CB. OL first unless there's just nobody.

UKfan
04-23-2010, 07:29 PM
So, Pat Angerer.... looks like the trenches aren't as high up on the Colts Agenda as we thought. If Brown is unhealthy so be it, but he is far too talented to pass at 63 otherwise IMO...

MaxV
04-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Angerer.

I've seen him play a lot. Good LB.

UKfan
04-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Good LB, but a big need, certainly not IMO. I really would have preferred Charles Brown there, Bill better have a plan for fixing our OL and DT issues

MaxV
04-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Bob Sanders
Dallas Clark
Mitch King
Pat Angerer

Iowa is well represented on Colts roster.

UKfan
04-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Ugh, not happy with out draft thus far at all, in Polian I trust, but I cant see the master plan right now, hopefully things will become clear when I see our third rounder in the morning...

MaxV
04-23-2010, 07:42 PM
UKfan, it's really Bill Polian being Bill Polian.

"Stick strickly to your board."

Clearly, BPA.

I agree with you that neither position was the weakest, but more speed on defense never hurts.

MaxV
04-23-2010, 07:47 PM
OTs are coming off the board.

MaxV
04-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Bruce Campbell is the top guy on my board by far right now.

I don't care if he is raw. He is very good value in the 3rd round.

MaxV
04-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Kevin Thomas.

Still not adressing the OL, but we needed a CB.

killxswitch
04-24-2010, 01:15 AM
After an awesome steal of a pick in round one I am very disappointed in our 2nd and 3rd rounders. Pat Angerer was a reach at that spot IMO. There were several available OL and DT prospects that were both bigger needs and better overall values. Obviously Polian is going by his own board. I doubt Angerer does anything except on special teams this season. We could've had Charles Brown, Jared Veldheer, Morgan Burnett, John Jerry, Navorro Bowman, Mike Johnson, etc. All guys that IMO are a better value and/or fit a bigger need. As for Kevin Thomas I know very little about him. From what I've read he is injury prone, bad at tackling, has no return skills, and was unproductive as a 1 year starter at USC. Doesn't sound like much of a prospect to me. At least he is taller than Tim Jennings.

At this point my BPAs that fit (in order of preference) are

- Bruce Campbell - Raw, but maybe not as much as his reputation says. His ceiling is higher than any other OT in this draft. I think he will try hard, too.
- Jason Fox - easily worth a 4th rounder to improve the OL, I think he'd be an improvement over anyone on the roster at LT
- Geno Atkins - We could use UT depth, he's a proven penetrator.
- Everson Griffen - I don't think he'll do much but for a 4th his potential is a worthwhile risk. Maybe dropping to the 4th or later will light a fire under his ass. He could be the best DE in this class if he just tried.
- Reshad Jones, Kam Chancellor, and Larry Asante - We need S depth
- Michael Hoomanawanui - Blocking TE with decent hands would help the run game
- Domonique Franks, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Donovan Warren, Perrish Cox - All are better CB prospects than Thomas, some of them can return kicks/punts.
- Greg Hardy, Arthur Moats, and O'Brien Schofield - could take Keyunta Dawson's spot
- Roddrick Muckelroy, Dekoda Watson - Solid LB depth and likely good special teamers.
- Jacoby Ford - A returns guy who can also play WR fairly well

MaxV
04-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Damnit.

Jason Fox went right before us.

MaxV
04-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Ok, who did we just pick?

MaxV
04-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Jacques McClendon is very powerful.

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2008/7/17/573310/jacques-mcclendon-bench-pr

UKfan
04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
VoodooMonkey says he is not very good and thought he would be a UDFA...

MaxV
04-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Brody Eldridge, blocking TE.

Eh.

UKfan
04-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Can he play DT or OT? Please? :( am a sad panda right now

killxswitch
04-24-2010, 12:48 PM
On paper this has been a very bad draft for the Colts. I am trying to not get upset about it.

UKfan
04-24-2010, 03:41 PM
and in the 7th we take another DE and LB. So once again our O-line will suck and we wont be able to stop the run with our DT's, fantastic...

Seamus2602
04-24-2010, 03:53 PM
and in the 7th we take another DE and LB. So once again our O-line will suck and we wont be able to stop the run with our DT's, fantastic...

Ricardo Matthews will play Tackle, not End in the NFL. He's nearly 300lbs.

Seamus2602
04-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Pat Angerer - LB - Iowa Hawkeyes - Red Shirted Senior

http://i43.tinypic.com/jjlaft.jpg

Pat Angerer
Middle Linebacker
University of Iowa
Red Shirted Senior
Height - 6'0"¼
Weight - 235lbs

Run Defense: Angerer is a real sideline-to-sideline Linebacker and can play really well in space. Giving his small size Angerer has trouble disengaging his blocks and gets caught in traffic if the Linemen can't keep the blockers off him for him to play better. He isn't a forceful tackler but will wrap up the ball carrier and doesn't miss a lot of tackles. His ability to make plays him space mean that he can play Weakside Linebacker as well.

Pass Rush: Angerer wasn't asked to blitz much in Iowa and he has trouble disengaging from his blocks so he probably won't be asked to rush much in Indy.

Pass Defense: Angerer can recognise the pass very quickly and plays well in zones. He has a good awareness of the ball and has an eye for an interception. He lines up against multiple types of receivers, not just Tight Ends or Running Backs.

Others: Angerer is a real blue collar linebacker and will be a special teams ace.

Overall: Angerer gets after the ball carrier, plays well in space and is very good in coverage. Angerer will backup at both Middle and Weakside Linebacker and gives the team the ability to not resign Clint Session who's contract is up at the end of the 2010 season. He will also be a key special teams player.

Grade: B

Seamus2602
04-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Kevin Thomas – CB – USC Trojans - Red Shirted Senior

http://i40.tinypic.com/168vgns.jpg

Kevin Thomas
Cornerback
University of Southern California
Red Shirted Senior
Height - 6'0"
Weight - 192lbs

Run Defense: Thomas is very active in run support, fighting through blocks from Receivers and getting to the ball carrier quickly. He is a good open-field tackle but he does have a tendency to lunge at the ball carrier. He isn't a heavy hitter but takes good angles.

Pass Defense: Thomas is definitely better in zone coverage than in man coverage, especially against elite receivers. He struggles to turn and keep up with faster receivers but does have decent recovery speed. In zone he is an alert back who breaks on the ball well. He doesn't bite often on play action.

Others: Thomas is a hard worker who spent lots of hours in both the weight room and more importantly the film room. He had a very good senior campaign and good be blossoming into a very good player. He does have some durability problems which is a worry in the overly physical Tampa 2 Cornerback position.

Overall: Thomas is a very good player who has the sort of personality and drive that the Colts love to have in the locker room. He wasn’t a significant reach (I had him at a mid to high 4th Round pick on my last board) and fits a need. He will probably start as the Dime Cornerback and will need to be able to play some Special Teams but I expect him to quickly replace Lacey as the Nickle Cornerback if he can stay healthy.

Grade: B

Seamus2602
04-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Jacques McClendon – OG - Tennessee Volunteers - Senior

http://i42.tinypic.com/1zcn5fk.jpg

Jacques McClendon
Offensive Guard
University of Tennessee
Senior
Height - 6'3"¼
Weight - 324lbs

Pass Blocking: McClendon has the build to play well against bull rushing Nose Tackles and should do well against the new 3-4 craze that is taking the league by storm but he really struggles against more finesse defensive linemen.

Run Blocking: McClendon is a big road grader. He is short, powerful and extremely explosive off the snap. He doesn’t pull out that well though and struggles to set up blocks out wide or down field. He will be a very effective lead blocker for interior runs though.

Others: He is a very versatile player, playing both Left and Right Guard, as well as spells at Left Tackle, and is considered by many scouts to have the intelligent and awareness to move to Center. Despite playing a lot of games at Tennessee McClendon never really entrenched himself as a starter there. He carries a lot of weight and had some conditioning issues in college.

Overall: McClendon is a really intriguing pick and is a massive indicator of the new Offensive Line philosophy that the team are running. He will be a monster in the run game but his problems in the pass gaming are worrying, as his inability to properly condition. He tired too quickly in College and could struggle in the pace of an NFL offense. He will initially be a backup player (but can backup multiple positions) but with better conditioning and working with the coaching staff and players he could be a very good Lineman for the Colts in the future. I am concerned about how high we drafted him. I have McClendon as a bottom of the 7th, possibly an UDFA, on my board and to draft him in the 4th Round seems like a major reach. I do hear that other teams, especially the Steelers, were interested in him and maybe Bill Polian didn’t feel that he could wait much longer on him.

Grade: D

Seamus2602
04-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Brody Eldridge – TE - Oklahoma Sooners – Red Shirted Senior

http://i41.tinypic.com/2hyx6j6.jpg

Brody Eldridge
Tight End
University of Oklahoma
Red Shirted Senior
Height - 6'4"¾
Weight - 261lbs

Pass Catching: You need to remember one key thing about Eldridge. This is no Dallas Clark. Hell this isn’t even a Gijon Robinson. His hands aren’t that good and he doesn’t run good routes but he will be a decent red-zone target with his size and his ability to fight for that extra yard or two.

Blocking: This is why we drafted him. Mike Mayock describes Brody Eldridge as the best blocking Tight End in the draft. He is good at setting the edge and will win almost any one-on-one matchup against both Defensive Ends and Linebackers. He plays to the whistle and gets down field to open up running lanes for receivers after the catch.

Others: Trent Williams, the 4th Overall Pick, described Eldridge as a better blocker than he is. He is versatile and played multiple roles in college, including Tight End, Full Back, Center and Guard. He has the frame that if the team think wants a project then he could potentially transition to Left Tackle. He is tough and played through a couple of smaller injuries during college.

Overall: Brody Eldridge is exactly the sort of player the Colts needed to go out and get. He won’t contribute much in pass catching (but we have Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Anthony Gonzales, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Joseph Addai and Donald Brown on the roster so I don’t think we need that many more pass catchers). He adds something the Colts don’t have... an elite Run Blocker. His versatility could see the team projecting him to Offensive Tackle but I love his value at H-Back.

Grade: A

TitanHope
04-24-2010, 06:01 PM
People missed the boat on McClendon, and he had at least 5 visits with teams, including the Steelers. He set the weight lifting record at UT, and if there's a developmental OG that I'd like in this Draft, it's McClendon (His teammate Vladimir Richard, who was hurt last year and missed games, is up there too and should be on people's UDFA list). He could even develop into a very good Center as well.

Through the '07 and '08 seasons, he and the rest of the online gave up only 7 Sacks total - that's through two seasons in the SEC. Started all 13 games at RG last year and played well despite having a walk on to the right of him at Center and a new starter and toward the end of the season a RS freshman to the right of him at RT. He's got great size too. The downside if he has conditioning issues, slow feet, and probably projects more to a power-blocking scheme. He was a reach in the 4th RD, but he was a draftable player in my view and if ya'll want more push in the run game and a guy that has tons of experience in a pro-style offense, then McClendon can do that. I think he can make a very good Guard and maybe Center for ya'll.

UKfan
04-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Seamus I can't agree with your grades on the pics at all, Angerer maybe a C, Thomas a D probably the same for McClendon too...

killxswitch
04-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Angerer will be a good player, he was just a bad pick. Overdrafted by 1+ round when there were better values at positions of higher need.

UKfan
04-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Angerer will be a good player, he was just a bad pick. Overdrafted by 1+ round when there were better values at positions of higher need.

Exactly, I dont mind the player so much, but with Charles Brown sitting there at round 2, that seems an absolute no brainer to me...

Dam8610
04-24-2010, 10:14 PM

Ask Michael Strahan and Jason Taylor if 255 is too small to be a capable all around DE in the NFL. They're both 6'5"+ too.

MaxV
04-24-2010, 11:23 PM
I've started a new thread for Undrafted FA.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40944

MaxV
04-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Here are videos of Polian and Caldwell describing each pick:

Hughes
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=a1fcaeb5-d887-4af9-8c6e-efbf19cf536e

Angerer
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=f0ade95a-0e07-475d-8a30-290e72a1c64f

Thomas
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=1ff07588-73ce-45ef-a131-6e7c3d6b00f6

McClendon and Eldridge
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=b398f15a-874d-46b4-87a7-ccba57a3549e

Mathews, Conner and Fisher
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=edd97347-705a-403e-8a31-6130261ebca3

Some interesting notes:

- Mathews is viewed as Brock's replacement, a specialist who could play at either DE or DT depending on situation. Personally, I like King to be that guy, but only because I've seen King play. If Mathews is better then so be it.

- Bill thinks Fisher can be a KR, PR, ST gunner and a CB backup. Brandon James will probably give him a run for his money.

- Bill sounded very enthusiastic about the UFA class they are bringing in. We'll see.

- They think McClendon can compete for starting spot from day 1, but mentioned that several players will be considered.

- BP compared Conner to Session. I hope so.

- BP didn't like the OTs that were there after the first round. "OT class was VERY thin." Hmmm, I guess some of us we'll disagree with that, but Bill knows best. That sucks though, I really wanted a talented OT out of this class, maybe more then any other position.

- Clearly they want to improve run-blocking greatly.

- Hughes won't only be a situational DE. Sounds like he'll play some standing up also. BP also mentioned that Hughes was the last prospect they had on their board with 1st-round grade.

Seamus2602
04-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Ask Michael Strahan and Jason Taylor if 255 is too small to be a capable all around DE in the NFL. They're both 6'5"+ too.

Yes and Michael Strahan dropped to the 40th pick overall, and Jason Taylor dropped to the 73rd pick overall. Probably because people were worried about 255lbs defensive linemen. They proved them wrong. I hope to all things good and holy in this world that Hughes proves me wrong and shows that he is a stout run defender too. But most people his size aren't.

Seamus2602
04-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Seamus I can't agree with your grades on the pics at all, Angerer maybe a C, Thomas a D probably the same for McClendon too...

Angerer is a slight reach, which is why it is B and not an A, Thomas is a talented player, at a position of need for pretty decent value. I don't see the problem with giving him a B.

MaxV
04-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Thomas and McClendon sound like talented projects.

Dam8610
04-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Yes and Michael Strahan dropped to the 40th pick overall, and Jason Taylor dropped to the 73rd pick overall. Probably because people were worried about 255lbs defensive linemen. They proved them wrong. I hope to all things good and holy in this world that Hughes proves me wrong and shows that he is a stout run defender too. But most people his size aren't.

Everyone in the Colts front office for the past 12 or so years has also made their living off of capitalizing on the "undersized" label, so you should know that that's not a concern for them. Also, given the fact that Hughes is about 6'2", he's about proportionately equivalent to a 6'6" 270 DE. Don't discount that low COG either, when you're playing on the line, low man wins, and guys like Thomas, Gaither, McNeill, etc. are going to have difficulty being low man against Hughes, just like they've had that same difficulty against Freeney and Mathis for years now.

falloutboy14
04-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Exactly, I dont mind the player so much, but with Charles Brown sitting there at round 2, that seems an absolute no brainer to me...

I think the reason that Polian didn't want to draft Brown was that compared to most LTs he has a significant weakness in run-blocking. For a team that's trying to improve this trait, this pick could go against the goal they're trying to achieve.

That said, it's a valid argument that, there are 5 spots on the O-line, and we can run behind 4 of them. Let's use one to make sure we pass-block well.

I had a random thought after reading about Eldridge. Oftentimes as I read about the top LTs in the draft, they're sometimes tight ends that are converted to OTs, since they tend to have above average agility for their size. That said, how much of a leap is it to make Eldridge a long-term LT prospect?

Eldridge is the best or near best blocker at an elite college program, he's 6-5 260, and he's played most of the positions along that O-line, which would lead me to think he's a quick learner, and willing to work extra to fill the needs of the team.

Maybe he'd need 2 years to gain 20-30 pounds & work on his technique. But this is Charlie's contract year, so Polian's got to decide what to do with him. It's a somewhat common practice for college programs, what's to stop the Colts from doing it?

MaxV
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
I don't know.

Keep in mind that College teams get their players out of HS and with a big roster they can afford to let a player just get bigger.

It's much more difficult to go through that process in the NFL. If you are on the roster, you need to contribute.

Not to mention that it really depend on the person. Some have easier time gaining weight then others.

I doubt that Colts drafted him to convert him to OT.

UKfan
05-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Adam_Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)
Colts third-round pick, DB Kevin Thomas, sustained a knee injury during last week’s rookie camp that could cause him to miss this season.

MaxV
05-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Adam_Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)
Colts third-round pick, DB Kevin Thomas, sustained a knee injury during last week’s rookie camp that could cause him to miss this season.

Damnit. The one guy out of this draft, other then Hughes, that I was excited about.

Figures.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
05-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Why have we not gone after Ciron black yet? Wish we would have taken Selvish Capers in the 6th put him at guard. Mclendon pick is a complete flop. The raiders outdrafted us

chad72
05-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Pure depth draft:

The only starters out of this draft for now would be Jerry Hughes and McClendon a close second. Pat Angerer almost seemed like a "I had not planned for Brackett's replacement early enough till I shelled out this big contract for him, so better late than never" pick, IMO.

You will see a lot of Gary Brackett in him - if DT play is not good, he won't make many plays, he will get juked by QBs like Vince Young, will miss tackles on bigger RBs etc., Angerer will be a project that may contribute heavily only after maybe 2 years down the road. Kevin Thomas is on IR. McClendon has all the physical tools - once he gets the playbook down, I feel he has a good ceiling.

Brody Eldridge will open our offense for our RBs - short yardage blocking plus pass blocking that might free our RBs to catch passes. Plus, as little as he caught passes at Oklahoma, 8 out of his 13 catches in 4 years went for a first down. I think we have a QB who will find him for a critical first down, don't you?:)

Brock is not going to have 1 guy playing his role - it will be a combination of Eric Foster, Mitch King and Ricardo Mathews that will rotate. Our defensive rotation and pass rush, I expect it to be much better this year. This could hide some blemishes in our secondary, IMO.

This whole draft and UDFA class to me had a special teams feel to it (Pat Angerer, Kavell Conner, Ray Fisher, and even Jerry Hughes (like Mathis in his early days) could play special teams). 2 SBs where our "not so special" teams made their mark (Devin Hester opening kickoff TD, botched FG attempts by AV & Stover, botched onside kick recovery plus consistent bad field position in the returning game, magnified by 2nd Saints MVP, IMO - Garrett Hartley making all 3 FGs from 40+). Not to mention all the ST gaffes we Colts fans have had to endure for years in the regular season as well.

TitanHope
05-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Heya guys. I'm controlling Indy in a full 2011 Forum Mock, and I just made the 3rd RD pick. I'm needin' some feedback on what I've done so far, and maybe what I need to do in the future.

With the 26th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama!!!

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID6543/images/resized_marcel_kareem_ap_chriscarlson.jpg

Dareus was strictly BPA. He fell all the way down to the 26th pick, and was far and away the best player available. I was torn between him or OT Castonzo, but Dareus was too much to pass up.

With the 58th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Nate Potter, LT, Boise St.!!!

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/354328/0927sportsbsugb16.standalone.prod_affiliate.36.jpg

Potter was my best available OT. He's a bit on the light side (295), but he's 6'6 so he can fill out. LT of the future.

With the 90th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

John Moffitt, C, Wisconsin!!!

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/73/734343.jpg

I think Moffitt was a good value in the 3rd, and I drafted him more to be Saturday's eventual replacement. But, the guy is pretty stout (6'5, 320), so he could line up at LG, C, or RG and do well. Not the typical lightweight Centers ya'll have drafted recently, and I think Polian mentioned him wanting to get bigger on the OL - Moffitt would do that.

So, what next? I'm thinking about an OLB, but I know ya'll just invested a 2nd RD'er in Angerer. Although if the guy I'm targeting falls to the 4th, he'll be too good of value to pass up. Maybe a DB?

Dam8610
05-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Heya guys. I'm controlling Indy in a full 2011 Forum Mock, and I just made the 3rd RD pick. I'm needin' some feedback on what I've done so far, and maybe what I need to do in the future.

Dareus was strictly BPA. He fell all the way down to the 26th pick, and was far and away the best player available. I was torn between him or OT Castonzo, but Dareus was too much to pass up.

Potter was my best available OT. He's a bit on the light side (295), but he's 6'6 so he can fill out. LT of the future.

I think Moffitt was a good value in the 3rd, and I drafted him more to be Saturday's eventual replacement. But, the guy is pretty stout (6'5, 320), so he could line up at LG, C, or RG and do well. Not the typical lightweight Centers ya'll have drafted recently, and I think Polian mentioned him wanting to get bigger on the OL - Moffitt would do that.

So, what next? I'm thinking about an OLB, but I know ya'll just invested a 2nd RD'er in Angerer. Although if the guy I'm targeting falls to the 4th, he'll be too good of value to pass up. Maybe a DB?

I don't hate it provided the DT is a 3-tech type, but honestly I think you missed on the C unless your theory is that they'll move him to G. The Colts drafted 3 Cs in 08, and it seems as though they like Richard to take over that spot when Saturday retires at this point (after all, they've made him exclusively a backup C), plus they just drafted McClendon this year, who some scouts think could convert to C. As for targeting a OLB there, not a bad idea, Angerer's only real role on this team is to eventually replace Brackett, can't see him doing well at anything else. DB isn't a bad idea either, and I might have tried to grab a S a tad earlier than you have here.

TitanHope
05-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the input Dam!

And yes, Dareus is a 3-Tech in a 4-3. He plays 5-Tech on Bama's 3-4 DEF, and he's about 6'3, 280+ lbs. He's strong as an ox though, and a jumbo athlete. He's in the Top 10 of a lot of draftniks' boards, like Kiper, McShay, and Scott Wright's. He was an epic steal.

Yeah, I knew ya'll drafted a bunch of C's not too long ago, but have they done enough to solidify their spot as the future starters? I thought ya'll being so light on OL with those guys was a reason for ya'lls struggles in the run-game, and why Polian said he wanted to get bigger on the OL (or at least that's what I remember. Could totally be wrong though!). As a Vols fan, I don't see McClendon at Center. I think he's a pure OG. Either way, Moffitt has played Guard and Center, so he can project to either spot. Plus, he was the last of the upper tier inner OL prospects, and I wanted to add a solid player to that group. I bet he could even play RT, kind've like Max Unger out of Oregon a few years back. Either way, he can start anywhere 'sides LT and be insurance if Jamie Richard doesn't work out! It may not be that big of a need though, but ya'll are the Colts! Ya'll can afford it! :D

Ok, so I think I'll go S next, like ya suggested, and then OLB, cause I have a few guys at OLB I have an eye on and really one guy at S I like. I'll let ya'll know how things work out! Thanks again!

MaxV
05-27-2010, 10:51 PM
With all the Centers we have drafted, the Center of the Future could very well be the guy who we signed as UFA, Kyle Devan.

TitanHope
06-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Here's the rest of the Draft so far:

With the 122nd Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Chris Culliver, S, South Carolina!!!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00rke1Z8fN0GW/610x.jpg

With the 154th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Neiko Thorpe, CB, Auburn!!!

http://media.oanow.com/oanow/img-story/images/uploads/AUFB_Miss_State031_0912cw_CMYK.jpg

With the 186th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Sean Spence, OLB, Miami (FL)!!!

http://images.mycapture.com/26256802.jpg

I have 1 pick left. Culliver is more of a FS/CB tweener, but he was the best safety available. Plus, he's a KR. Thorpe is a big, lanky CB at 6'1, 190+, so he should fit ya'lls zone coverage. Spence is a perfect Cover 2 WLB. So what to do with the last pick? Should go go for more of a SS, since Sanders has injury issues and Culliver isn't an in-the-box type of safety? Reinforce the OL? Maybe get a pass catcher or a backup QB (there are some quality QB's left)? What do ya'll think?

MaxV
06-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Only one Big 10 guy.

That's not how Polian usually operates.