PDA

View Full Version : Staley signs extension with Niners; 6 year extention $42 mil

niel89
06-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4231521

Odd that he got a new deal after only 2 years of playing, but damn now they have him until 2017. Interesting move by the 9ers.

abaddon41_80
06-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Good move to lock him up now before things get crazy within the next few years. He played great once Just Turnovers "Holds the ball too long" O'Sullivan got benched.

SFbear
Strange. He had a first round contract anyway so its not like he was making pennies. Seems like a bad precedent for future rookies. Doesn't this just give Patrick Willis justification to demand a new contract?

Paranoidmoonduck
I liked Staley a lot coming out of college, but I was under the impression that he had a pretty rough year overall in 2008 (I do know he shaped up some later on in the year).

BeerBaron
06-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't like this move for either side right now....

For Staley, that contract looks nice now, but this locks him up through I believe 2017. With the current state of affairs in NFL free agency, players of lower and lower quality are cashing in HUGE every year when free agency starts up and signing deals that seem to break records every single time.

Now lets say Staley continues to develop well and the Niners have a franchise LT on their hands. That contract is likely going to be dwarfed by guys who are half the player Staley could be in just a few off seasons.

I also don't like it for the 49ers because, as mentioned, it does set a bad precedent. Staley was only 2 years into his 5 (i believe) year rookie deal. Now P-Willy can come to them and demand a long term, big money extention. So could Davis or any other recent high draft pick of theirs who plays well in the future here.

Not a big fan of this really......

Gay Ork Wang
06-04-2009, 06:11 PM
well wouldnt extending guys like PWilly also be good for the 9ers? i mean they would work against those inflating contract?

Addict
06-04-2009, 06:16 PM
locking players up long-term before they become pro bowl type contributors... sounds risky but the payoff (a relatively cheap LT for the next decade) is huge. If Staley plays as well as he could, the Niners could look brilliant.

On the other hand if he bombs they're in trouble.

BeerBaron
06-04-2009, 06:20 PM
well wouldnt extending guys like PWilly also be good for the 9ers? i mean they would work against those inflating contract?

But I can guarantee that in a few years when the contract they're playing for looks like peanuts compared to what far lesser players are getting in the open market, these guys will be pretty peeved.

You could look at it and be like "well thats their problem....good for the organization....nothing the player can do but hold out....etc etc."

But we see those type of players hold out all of the time. And in many cases, they force a trade or get the new contract they want.

49ersfan_87
06-04-2009, 07:10 PM

For Staley, that contract looks nice now, but this locks him up through I believe 2017. With the current state of affairs in NFL free agency, players of lower and lower quality are cashing in HUGE every year when free agency starts up and signing deals that seem to break records every single time.

Now lets say Staley continues to develop well and the Niners have a franchise LT on their hands. That contract is likely going to be dwarfed by guys who are half the player Staley could be in just a few off seasons.

I also don't like it for the 49ers because, as mentioned, it does set a bad precedent. Staley was only 2 years into his 5 (i believe) year rookie deal. Now P-Willy can come to them and demand a long term, big money extention. So could Davis or any other recent high draft pick of theirs who plays well in the future here.

Staley said the 49ers approached him early in the offseason about working out a contract extension. He said he has gotten the indication that this is what the 49ers plan to do with some other players, including linebacker Patrick Willis.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/06/niners-sign-staley-to-extension-through-2017.html

I love Staley but this is so odd. This is a 6 year extension on top of his rookie deal. He's basically signed for 9 years, 43 million in total :eek:.

If we extended him we better extend Willis. Hopefully we can give him a lifetime contract :D

Addict
06-04-2009, 07:14 PM
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/06/niners-sign-staley-to-extension-through-2017.html

I love Staley but this is so odd. This is a 6 year extension on top of his rookie deal. He's basically signed for 9 years, 43 million in total :eek:.

If we extended him we better extend Willis. Hopefully we can give him a lifetime contract :D

Imagine those contract talks...

"Hi Patrick, sit down"
- "Thanks, what's up?"
"We want to talk about your contract"
- "okay, what about it"
"We want to extend it, is that ok"
- "depends on how long you want to extend it"
"what are you thinking"
- "4, maybe 5, years... something like that"
"hmmmmm we were thinking something a little different"
- "really? what then?"
"how about UNTIL YOU DIE"
- *gulp*

7-11
06-04-2009, 07:36 PM
From the 49ers standpoint i really don't see the point of this, all it's going to do is create friction between Staley and the organisation in a few years when he realises he's being drastically underpaid.

B-Dawk
06-04-2009, 08:32 PM
this is what the eagles have practiced for a while, and it works for a while until like now when the player are now underpaid per market value, and ask for more money.

Menardo75
06-04-2009, 08:58 PM

I guarentee you Willis' extension is not far behind. Also Staley isn't the type of guy to complain about money. The reason why they drafted him is because he is a blue collar type of guy, and football player. Well that and the fact that they needed a franchise LT.

BeerBaron
06-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I guarentee you Willis' extension is not far behind. Also Staley isn't the type of guy to complain about money. The reason why they drafted him is because he is a blue collar type of guy, and football player. Well that and the fact that they needed a franchise LT.

He's also an NFL player. By nature, they complain frequently about money. 90% of all players who ever hold out for more money typically start off as guys you wouldn't think would complain about money.....then they do and suddenly they become a locker room cancer and all of that.....

It's really bogus. Give him maybe 3 years when mediocre LT's are getting paid more just because they hit FA at the right time and he'll complain.

Menardo75
06-04-2009, 09:03 PM
He's also an NFL player. By nature, they complain frequently about money. 90% of all players who ever hold out for more money typically start off as guys you wouldn't think would complain about money.....then they do and suddenly they become a locker room cancer and all of that.....

It's really bogus. Give him maybe 3 years when mediocre LT's are getting paid more just because they hit FA at the right time and he'll complain.

And then they will extend him again?

BeerBaron
06-04-2009, 09:06 PM
And then they will extend him again?

Potentially. That would be ideal for both sides obviously......doesn't happen that often though without some kicking, screaming and holding-out though.

Ness
06-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm not really concerned personally. The one thing the 49ers organization does well is negotiating contracts with players. We've never really had an issue with that. A the last several seasons. And our rookies are even on time and usually signed before training camp begins. I think the last issue we had was with Mike Rumph when he held out of training camp as a rookie.

Ever since we got rid of that clown Terry Donahue and gotten ourselves out of salary cap hell, things haven't been too bad.

YAYareaRB
06-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Imagine those contract talks...

"Hi Patrick, sit down"
- "Thanks, what's up?"
"We want to talk about your contract"
- "okay, what about it"
"We want to extend it, is that ok"
- "depends on how long you want to extend it"
"what are you thinking"
- "4, maybe 5, years... something like that"
"hmmmmm we were thinking something a little different"
- "really? what then?"
"how about UNTIL YOU DIE"
- "**** YEAH!

*Fixed it for ya!*

NY+Giants=NYG
06-05-2009, 09:13 AM
I still remember Mel Kiper down grading us because we didn't draft Staley, who he had for us.

Gay Ork Wang
06-05-2009, 09:22 AM
imagine the 9ers wouldnt have traded up and they wouldve drafted Clady

YAYareaRB
06-05-2009, 09:38 AM

Clady is a beast.

Borat
06-05-2009, 10:13 AM

We would have drafted Sed Ellis at No. 7.

jkpigskin
06-05-2009, 11:00 AM
i remember the Ravens were really high on Staley, but it all ended up well.
This is probably the first time ive seen a young player get a big money extension so soon after his initial contract. I can see both good and bad coming from this, but you cant complain about locking up a cornerstone for a long time.

Brent
06-05-2009, 11:05 AM
he has played every snap sinse being drafted and has been stellar since being drafted, why not lock him up while he's cheap?

MasterShake
06-05-2009, 11:40 AM
* * *UPDATE II: The 49ers had approximately $25 million in cap space when the day began. They wisely worked the extension with Staley to eat into that figure. To lessen the deal's impact on the future, Staley's cap figure this year rises from $1.42 million to $11.6 million. The deal is very similar to what the 49ers did in 2007 with Nate Clements when they gave him a $10M roster bonus that counted immediaely against that year's cap.

Another Smart move like they did with Clements, his future cap figures will be VERY reasonable as are Clements.

Gay Ork Wang
06-05-2009, 12:16 PM
* * *UPDATE II: The 49ers had approximately $25 million in cap space when the day began. They wisely worked the extension with Staley to eat into that figure. To lessen the deal's impact on the future, Staley's cap figure this year rises from $1.42 million to $11.6 million. The deal is very similar to what the 49ers did in 2007 with Nate Clements when they gave him a $10M roster bonus that counted immediaely against that year's cap.

Another Smart move like they did with Clements, his future cap figures will be VERY reasonable as are Clements.
now that is a smart move, rather to let the cap just go to waste, just fill it up

abaddon41_80
06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
McCloughan really knows what he is doing when it comes to managing the cap.

phlysac
06-06-2009, 05:26 PM
McCloughan really knows what he is doing when it comes to managing the cap.

That credit should be given to Paraag Marathe. McCloughan tells Marathe what players he wants taken care of and Marathe gets it done.

phlysac
06-06-2009, 05:47 PM
The Joe Staley contract extension had been in the works for several months. Today, I learned more details after communicating with a league source with knowledge of the deal, which was signed Thursday.

Staley's six-year extension, through the 2017 season, includes $40 million of "new money." The contract includes $16 million guaranteed. The total package can fluctuate $3 million up ($43 million) or $3 million down ($37 million), depending on Staley's performance and whether he remains healthy.

Some of the other details of the contract are interesting. Staley, according to the source, will not receive a signing bonus. Signing bonuses are prorated for the life of a contract for salary-cap purposes. Instead, Staley will receive two roster bonuses, which count immediately against that year's cap.

The reason the 49ers would structure the deal in that way is because they have an abundance of salary-cap space. The 49ers were approximately $25 million under the cap before the Staley extension. Staley's 2009 cap figure, with this new deal, rises from $1.42 million to $11.6 million.

Staley is signed for nine more seasons. A lot of times when a player gets a big paycheck early in the contract, he grows frustrated that the yearly salaries are not as high on the back end. In recent years, there have been several Philadelphia Eagles who grew frustrated with back ends of their long-term deals, including Brian Westbrook, Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard.

It can reasonably be assumed that the 49ers took measures to avoid that kind of potential future discontent with Staley. (Chief negotiator Paraag Marathe declined comment through a club spokesman.)

All of Staley's bonus money is heavily deferred. Although the guaranteed bonus money will count immediately against the cap, Staley will keep getting checks for a long time. Because he will continue to receive that money through the years, perhaps there will be less reason for Staley to be discontent with his yearly income.

"I'm excited about my deal, and I'm going to play that contract," Staley said. 'Any of that is way too far down the line to ever think about. I think it's a fair value for myself, and I look forward to playing football."
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/06/staleys-contract-details-and-ramifications.html

CC.SD
06-06-2009, 07:50 PM
What, no Manny Lawson extension?

Borat
06-06-2009, 09:08 PM
What, no Manny Lawson extension?

Manny knows he's better off waiting and putting up a big year. His career so far has been very meh.

Gay Ork Wang
06-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Manny knows he's better off waiting and putting up a big year. His career so far has been very meh.
i think it was supposed to be a joke

Bengalsrocket
06-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I always think front loading a contract is a terrible decision from the business side of football. However, keeping him in San Francisco for that long should help the 49ers in moving forward.

Menardo75
06-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Well someone will always try and find a negative side to everything.