PDA

View Full Version : Show Me Guys

tjsunstein
06-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Show-Me Guys: Ten breakthrough players who need encores by Pete Prisco

Let's face facts: When a player has a breakout season, there are always doubts as to whether he can do it again.

We consider if he is destined to join the many in one-year wonderland.

A year ago, some were racing to anoint Cleveland Browns quarterback Derek Anderson and Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback David Garrard as the next great things under center. Both landed new contracts because of their big seasons in 2007.

Now both are coming under great scrutiny and there is talk both might have been one-year wonders, although in fairness to Garrard his team's offensive talent was woeful last season in large part due to injuries.

Breakout seasons can mean breakout stars, but not always.

That's why we play the show-me game. Let's see it again. Until then, there will be doubts.

Michael Turner understands. He had his breakout season in 2008 for the Atlanta Falcons after signing as an unrestricted free agent. Turner came to Atlanta as a high-profile backup to LaDainian Tomlinson.

Some, including me, wondered if Turner was worth signing to a big contract. As it turned out he was, and I was wrong, something I've admitted many times to Turner and the Falcons front office.

Turner finished second in the NFL in rushing with 1,699 yards and scored 17 touchdowns to help Atlanta to the playoffs. Now the talk is he needs to prove he can do it again.

"It's going to be a big challenge every year," Turner said. "Now people know what I can do. Coaches will know better what to do to try and stop me. Everybody is going to be looking to see if you can repeat it. The more accolades you get, the bigger the target is on your back. I know people want to see if I can have another year like I had last season."

Turner went to his first Pro Bowl last season, but he carried the ball a league-high 376 times. The Falcons want to cut that number down, so his rushing totals might not be as high. As quarterback Matt Ryan develops, the passing game will become more of a factor than it was last season. Turner's totals probably will be lower, but the per-carry average is what will tell the story. He was at 4.5 last season, and needs to keep it near there. If it drops down closer to four, he could hear the one-hit wonder talk.

As it is, he headlines our list of the show-me players heading into 2009. These are all players entering at least their third season -- no rookies from 2008 -- who are coming off their best seasons.

They better hope like heck they aren't the NFL version of Dexys Midnight Runners and Come on Eileen.

Matt Cassel, QB, Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs traded to get him from New England after his impressive first season as a starter playing for the injured Tom Brady. Cassel never started a game in college, but seemed confident and sure of himself last season for the Patriots. But was he a product of the offense, or a legitimate NFL starter? The Chiefs must not be so sure since they are playing a wait-and-see game with him, not giving him a long-term contract extension. His play against the good teams last season might give them cause for concern. He threw 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions last season, but against playoff teams it was just seven touchdown passes and six interceptions.

Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers: He stood tall in the face of all the Brett Favre talk last summer and turned in an impressive first season as a starter. Rodgers threw for 4,038 yards, 28 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He was not the reason the Packers missed the playoffs. But it will take a repeat of last season to put the Favre talk truly to rest. I, for one, think he's up to it.

Stewart Bradley, MLB, Philadelphia Eagles: In his first full season as a starter Bradley led the Eagles in tackles with 108. He was the star of the Eagles' linebackers. In his third season out of Nebraska, he has a chance to possibly move to the Pro Bowl level in 2009.

Lance Moore, WR, New Orleans Saints: After catching 32 passes in 2007, Moore had 72 last season. He also had 10 touchdown catches. Now that teams know him better, it might be tougher to repeat. He isn't a big receiver, but he knows how to get open in the middle of the field.

Steve Breaston, WR, Arizona Cardinals: He had eight catches as a rookie in 2007, which had many thinking he would be nothing more than a return man. Then he went for 77 catches for 1,006 yards last season, and he's now considered a real receiving threat. He did get more time because of injuries to Anquan Boldin, but with the Cardinals using a lot of three-receiver sets he should still get his chances in 2009. The numbers just might not be as good.

LaMarr Woodley, OLB, Pittsburgh Steelers: He flashed as a rookie in 2007, getting four sacks, but he wasn't a starter. He started 15 games last season and responded with 11 sacks. Woodley is a physical pass rusher who will get only better as he develops more moves. He might end up with more sacks this season than teammate James Harrison, who led the Steelers with 16 in 2008.

Harvey Dahl, G, Atlanta Falcons: The NFL's nastiest player -- as selected by this writer -- surprised a lot of people with the way he played last season. Dahl is a very good run blocker, but to truly become a great guard he has to improve his pass protection. If he does that, he will be in the Pro Bowl sometime soon.

Jared Gaither, T, Baltimore Ravens: When Jonathan Ogden retired, Gaither stepped in and started 15 games and did a good job in both pass protection and in the run game. Gaither started slow last summer, but quickly developed into a top player on the Ravens' line. With a little more seasoning, he could develop into an elite tackle for a long time.

Ryan Harris, T, Denver Broncos: While rookie Ryan Clady received loads of attention on the left side, and rightfully so, Harris developed into a good right tackle in his first year as a starter. The third-year player out of Notre Dame was one of the bigger surprises in the league last season. The right tackle spot isn't a strong one in the NFL, and Harris made a move toward being one of the best last season after not starting a game in 2007.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11820759

Thoughts? How many other guys can be added to this list and who?

I can add Tramon Williams and Nick Collins.

Gay Ork Wang
06-05-2009, 12:49 PM
basically any rookie that did good. We dont want to see the Vince Young phenomenon

tjsunstein
06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
basically any rookie that did good. We dont want to see the Vince Young phenomenon

Well obviously, but how about some 3rd, 4th year players who "broke out" last year? One year wonders or here to stay?

Gay Ork Wang
06-05-2009, 01:03 PM
DeAngelo Williams
Phillip Rivers
James Harrison

BuddyCHRIST
06-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Harrison has had 2 great years, same thing with Phillip (with an average year inbetween). Not to mention both of those guys has produced in huge moments so I don't think they belong on that list. Maybe Harrison soley because of his contract.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
06-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Phillip Rivers has been consistently good from what I remember

Gay Ork Wang
06-05-2009, 01:09 PM
He has been up and down 2 years ago mainly with the running game behind him. I feel like he needs to show another year like the one he had and he will be considered a top5-8 QB

BamaFalcon59
06-05-2009, 01:18 PM
CB Chris Houston, Atlanta Falcons.
OL, Atlanta Falcons

Menardo75
06-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Parys Haralson for San Fran.

Primetime21
06-05-2009, 02:52 PM
The title made me think this was another shirtless players thread.

BmoreBlackByrdz
06-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Chris Johnson, teams will adjust to him and slowly break down his game. (i.e Devin Hester) who knows if he will always be the break away threat he was last year. He'll be a great speed back, but I think teams will start to figure him out. Other names -

Joe Flacco - Him and Ryan did what probably no other rookie QB will do for a while. They gotta prove their forreal.

Matt Ryan - ^^

Marques Colston - he had a great rookie year, but last year was injury riddled, can he bounce back?

can't think of any more...

jkpigskin
06-05-2009, 02:58 PM
usually, when i think about players that fit this criteria are players that nobody expected to do well, but did and we want to see it again. For players like Michael Turner, Aaron Rodgers, we expected greatness from them. Guys like Derek Anderson, David Garrard, Matt Cassell came out of nowhere and they have to prove again that they are the real deal

Stranger
06-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Santonio Holmes. He showed he could be great in the postseason after being pretty average during the year.

CC.SD
06-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Phillip Rivers
James Harrison

I consider both of these guys waaaay proven.

Mr. Hero
06-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Corey Webster - He's been one of the best corners since our playoff run two seasons ago, one more season playing at that level will solidify Webster as one of the very best corners in this league.

Carlos Rogers - Rogers had a break out year for washington, finally showing the great cover skills he got drafted so highly for. Another year from him to establish himself as washington's go to corner for years to come.

Quentin Mickell - Mickell has had his troubles in coverage during his career but last year was a tremendous breakout season for the big safety, he finally proved he was not only a good in the box safety, but a playmaker and a guy capable of covering deep.

Jason Peters - Went from one of the best LTs in the game to one of the worst starting LTs in the game, now that he's gotten that contract he's been whining about and traded out of buffalo he needs to get back to that level of play two years ago that got him so much notoriety.

the decider13
06-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Definately agree with Ryan Harris. I support him, but he has to continue to come up big. Also would like to add Eddie Royal to the list.

Other teams: Jason Peters, Marques Colston, Matt Ryan, Antonio Cromartie, Chris Johnson (both of them).

CC.SD
06-05-2009, 07:00 PM
He missed Rod Tidwell, obvious really.

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1407/140757/300_140757.jpg

the decider13
06-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Show Me The Money!!

M.O.T.H.
06-05-2009, 07:10 PM
I still remember Ryan Harris' MTV True Life show. I want the perfect body. When he was preparing to go to Notre Dame and struggling to put on weight. Good show.

BmoreBlackByrdz
06-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Oh, I forgot Steve Slaton.

The Legend
06-06-2009, 03:18 AM
you should of said no **** at the end of your title lol.

katnip
06-07-2009, 09:01 PM
How about Larry Fitzgerald.. I always liked him. But, now everyone prolly thinks he needs to put up record setting numbers every game. Especially fantasy football players.

jkpigskin
06-07-2009, 09:05 PM
How about Larry Fitzgerald.. I always liked him. But, now everyone prolly thinks he needs to put up record setting numbers every game. Especially fantasy football players.

larry fitzgerald has done enough in his career to not be part of this list. Even after his monster post-season, not too many people are expecting crazy crazy numbers. That offense has weapons outside of him so he doesnt need to put up record setting numbers. Dont forget about Anquan Boldin, Steve Breason, and now Chris Wells. I for one dont think he fits into the guidelines of this thread

BlindSite
06-07-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't like Derek anderson's chances, Quinn should win the start and if he doesn't he lost Rip Scherer who made him decent in the first place.

SenorGato
06-07-2009, 09:42 PM
I don't like Derek anderson's chances, Quinn should win the start and if he doesn't he lost Rip Scherer who made him decent in the first place.

I never liked Derek Anderson's chances. Everything about him screamed "fluke performance."

Can't be a good starting NFL QB if you're scared of a pass rush.

BlindSite
06-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I dunno, I've never really believed in it being possible to have a "fluke" that lasts 17 weeks. Scherer is a very mechanics and technique based quarterbacks coach and he likes to have his QB run a lot of basic drills to keep the fundamentals down. Last year with the benching and the issues around him Anderson seemed to fall apart. Without Scherer who realistically built him up from a nobody it'll be difficult for him to recapture what he had.

Pb&j
06-08-2009, 12:13 AM
That streak didn't last 17 weeks. By the half way point anderson was cooling off and jamal lewis really took off en route to 1304 yards. Anderson ended the season with a whimper, notably throwing away the playoffs to a bunch of rookie free agents the bengals were playing in their secondary.

niel89
06-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Am I the only one who thought of Family Feud when you read the thread title?

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/56/s_f42eeeea38714910ad6ef7dedd9a0b31.jpg

ChezPower4
06-08-2009, 12:26 AM
I'd have to go with Nick Collins. He did have a break out year last season with the Packers. Providing solid coverage on our back end as well as a big jump in his playmaking production. He had 7 picks last season and had 4 his first three years. His play against the run got much better. It will be interesting if this kind of play keeps up or was last year just a fluke.

BlindSite
06-08-2009, 01:15 AM
That streak didn't last 17 weeks. By the half way point anderson was cooling off and jamal lewis really took off en route to 1304 yards. Anderson ended the season with a whimper, notably throwing away the playoffs to a bunch of rookie free agents the bengals were playing in their secondary.

The browns lost like 3 out of their last 8 with him at the helm... He didn't do too badly.

niel89
06-08-2009, 02:02 AM

Derrick Anderson
...............QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds Y/G Y/A TD Int
Games 1-8 91.7 148 257 57.6 2108 263.5 8.2 17 9
Games 9-16 73.7 150 270 55.6 1679 209.9 6.2 12 10

Jamal Lewis
..............Rush Yds Y/G Avg TD
Games 1-8 114 480 68.6 4.2 6
Games 9-16 184 824 103.0 4.5 3

I have to agree. Anderson noticeably declined over the last 8 games and Jamal Lewis really took off getting 344 more yards in the second half (granted he got 70 more carries, but his average went from 4.2 to 4.5 also). In the second half Anderson threw for 429 yard less, 5 touchdowns less, 1 more pick, and 2 yards less per attempt. He was good in September (9td-5int, 88.4 rating) Hot in October (8-3, 104.2), ok in November (5-3, 81.5) and bad in December (7-8, 66.6).

With him getting benched and everything, I find it really hard for him to comeback in and really show something. Also his offense since that season has seen Edwards take a couple of steps back and lost Winslow & Jurevicius.