PDA

View Full Version : Overall Improvement

detroit4life
06-12-2009, 12:34 PM
very nice article that gives us all hope from espn
http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2009/06/espn_louis_delmas_calvin_johns.html

Thinking about it we may have a very solid defense this year. Depending on Avril our pass rush could be scary with him and Julian Peterson. The only week spot is DT and CB where the issue is that we are thin but I feel as if Schwartz has always been thin at CB and has never had that shut down guy. DT will be interesting to watch with 3 guys all being big question marks.

Addict
06-12-2009, 02:06 PM
did that article actually mention StorminNorman?

also: don't get your hopes up, just wait and see. That's my tactic.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
06-12-2009, 03:40 PM
did that article actually mention StorminNorman?

also: don't get your hopes up, just wait and see. That's my tactic.

Just do what I do. Hope for the 10 win Kitna special but then ask your fiance to give you a BJ after every Lions loss. 0-16 wasn't that bad last year.

Scotty D
06-15-2009, 12:55 AM
hahahah Stormin Normin nice!

Prowler
06-15-2009, 09:19 AM
going along with overall improvement, delmas has found the cure for cancer and probably has an innate immunity to rookie hazing.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/06/early_indications_are_that_lou.html

Even the scouting department would love to say they knew Delmas was going to be this impressive this early, but they can't.

The reason? What nobody knew - or could know - before the draft is how good his football instincts really were and how they would translate so smoothly to the NFL level. They couldn't know how seamlessly he would fit the locker room chemistry and the energy he brings to the football field and the workout room every single day. They couldn't know how rapidly he would pick up the defense and understand the concepts of what they're doing and why. They couldn't know his true maturity level as a ballplayer until they spent days, not hours, around him.

Even several of the Lions veteran players, who normally have great disdain for rookies until they've actually proven something during the regular season, are greatly encouraged by what they've seen so far from Delmas. Again, the final analysis is yet to be written but the Lions' horrendous streak of second-round disasters may have come to a stunning halt.

Addict
06-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Just do what I do. Hope for the 10 win Kitna special but then ask your fiance to give you a BJ after every Lions loss. 0-16 wasn't that bad last year.

haha... still I hope that wasn't the only occasion for BJ's... otherwise you need to become a baseball fan.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
06-15-2009, 01:14 PM
haha... still I hope that wasn't the only occasion for BJ's... otherwise you need to become a baseball fan.

Haha no they are not a rare occasion still thank goodness. But these are no questions asked no effort of romance necessary lol. Haha Saints game I got it at half time lol. Titans game I probably would have too at half time, but can't be getting one with the family over eating Turkey lol. That would be one awkward Thanksgiving.

Addict
06-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Haha no they are not a rare occasion still thank goodness. But these are no questions asked no effort of romance necessary lol. Haha Saints game I got it at half time lol. Titans game I probably would have too at half time, but can't be getting one with the family over eating Turkey lol. That would be one awkward Thanksgiving.

well, yes. that would definately take the attention away from the turkey.

BRAVEHEART
06-15-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm glad I'm not hearing idiots moaning about how we passed up pile jumper and Maualuga for this guy.

Addict
06-15-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm glad I'm not hearing idiots moaning about how we passed up pile jumper and Maualuga for this guy.

who?

I liked the Delmas pick, although I would probably have preferred Butler there.

Scotty D
06-15-2009, 07:44 PM
who?

I liked the Delmas pick, although I would probably have preferred Butler there.

Laurinitis.

I'd much rather have Delmas, Foote, Levy instead of Rey or Nitis and no Delmas.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
06-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Laurinitis.

I'd much rather have Delmas, Foote, Levy instead of Rey or Nitis and no Delmas.

Agreed. Delmas is going to be good and he's yet another solid tackler on the team. And then when I think about Dwight Smith/Pearson, I'm so happy we got Delmas. Bullocks and Alexander are both in the last year of their contracts. Good pick.

Addict
06-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Agreed. Delmas is going to be good and he's yet another solid tackler on the team. And then when I think about Dwight Smith/Pearson, I'm so happy we got Delmas. Bullocks and Alexander are both in the last year of their contracts. Good pick.

one thing is for sure, we coulda picked a lot worse than Delmas. Bad picks would have included Rey and Laur-ican'tspellhisname-is.

WMD
06-17-2009, 10:19 PM
I admit that I did want Maualuga and I still wish we picked him.. But I'm satisfied with the Delmas pick and hopefully he develops into something real good for us. I've heard nothing but good about him so far.

thenewfeature06
06-17-2009, 11:29 PM
IMO Delmas is in the mold of Bob Sanders

detroit4life
06-17-2009, 11:44 PM
IMO Delmas is in the mold of Bob Sanders

completely agree

Prowler
06-18-2009, 04:00 AM
i used to like laurinaitis, until i realized that it was leonidas in 300.

SINCE1978
06-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Whoa ... let's do the wait and see on Delmas before we throw out Bob Sanders comparisons. The man has yet to even go through a training camp let alone a full pad NFL practice or game action. As most defensive coaches will say the more talent up front the more it helps cover guys and allows LB's to make plays. I am not happy with the DT position as we sit now. Hill is a project, Fluellen/Cohen play light at like 285-90 and Jackson/Darby are in their twilight (Jackson may not even play until week 5 if suspended for the substance abuse thing) so let's wait and see on the field not judge it on paper.

Iamcanadian
06-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Whoa ... let's do the wait and see on Delmas before we throw out Bob Sanders comparisons. The man has yet to even go through a training camp let alone a full pad NFL practice or game action. As most defensive coaches will say the more talent up front the more it helps cover guys and allows LB's to make plays. I am not happy with the DT position as we sit now. Hill is a project, Fluellen/Cohen play light at like 285-90 and Jackson/Darby are in their twilight (Jackson may not even play until week 5 if suspended for the substance abuse thing) so let's wait and see on the field not judge it on paper.

I like Delmas's potential but right now that is all it is, 'potential', he hasn't done a thing yet to suggest he can even be a starter in the NFL nevermind a Sanders copycat.
Your right about the DT position and the DE position isn't far behind. We gave up the second most yardage in NFL history last year and even if we are improved which has yet to be demonmstrated, I'm betting we will still be the worst defensive team in the NFL just maybe not the second worst in history.:eek:

StorminNorman
06-23-2009, 06:03 PM
The biggest improvement has been in coaching.

We underperformed in almost every position BECAUSE of the scheme - not the players.

This offensive line lends itself more to a man-on-man scheme, not a speed reliant zone. The defense didn't have the tools to run a Tampa 2, so having a mind who doesn't fear using different schemes to utilize our talent.

Combine that with a team that has received a great amount of talent and we will be fine.

SINCE1978
06-23-2009, 08:07 PM
The biggest improvement has been in coaching.

We underperformed in almost every position BECAUSE of the scheme - not the players.

This offensive line lends itself more to a man-on-man scheme, not a speed reliant zone. The defense didn't have the tools to run a Tampa 2, so having a mind who doesn't fear using different schemes to utilize our talent.

Combine that with a team that has received a great amount of talent and we will be fine.

Dude. Seriously .... I do not know where to begin to put you in your place on this point but for other readers time I'll keep it short.

+We had not 1 pro bowler at any position (maybe kicker!).
+We went 0-16 with statistically the 2nd worst defense in NFL history.
+This years D will potentially have 8 new starters via trade, free agency or draft and you think last years under performance was all scheme based NOT talent based?!?!

Whoa, the Honolulu blue kool aid is flowing early!

ironman4579
06-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Dude. Seriously .... I do not know where to begin to put you in your place on this point but for other readers time I'll keep it short.

+We had not 1 pro bowler at any position (maybe kicker!).
+We went 0-16 with statistically the 2nd worst defense in NFL history.
+This years D will potentially have 8 new starters via trade, free agency or draft and you think last years under performance was all scheme based NOT talent based?!?!

Whoa, the Honolulu blue kool aid is flowing early!

To be fair, Pro Bowls are stupid, and CJ probably should have made the Pro Bowl anyway. But the fact remains, this team was entirely devoid of talent. I think before free agency started I figured something like 16-17 starting/major positions (ie. nickle corner, 3rd WR) could use a major upgrade.

The Lions had a ton of good/serviceable backups. Unfortunately, they were all starting for us.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
06-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Talent Leftovers: Sims,Gosder,DeWayne White,Avril,Kevin Smith,Calvin all have talent to be good starters in this league. White is the only questionable due to his injury bug.

Believe it when I see it group: is Fluellen,Bullocks,Alexander,Daunte revived

Potential Impact Rookies: Stafford,Pettigrew,Delmas

Probable Impact Free Agents: Foote,Peterson

I'll believe it when I see it Free Agents/stop gaps: Buchanon(as a number 1 corner),Henry,King,Grady Jackson,Ronald Curry,Terrelle Smith,Peterman,Loper

Solid Compliments: Maurice Morris, Bryant Johnson

Better than you think 100 start club: Backus,Raiola. They take the heat but Schwartz/Linehan liked them. Backus wasn't as bad as people make out last year and Raiola needs to play better 2008 was his worst outing.

13 people that I could count on plus the 2 compliments. Half of the believe it when I see it work out, the team is at least resptable again. Talking 5 or 6 wins. All the believe it when I see its fail, most are stop gaps anyway.

Addict
06-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Calvin is more than a good starter in this league, much more.

Other that that you're absolutely right.

ironman4579
06-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Talent Leftovers: Sims,Gosder,DeWayne White,Avril,Kevin Smith,Calvin all have talent to be good starters in this league. White is the only questionable due to his injury bug.

Believe it when I see it group: is Fluellen,Bullocks,Alexander,Daunte revived

Potential Impact Rookies: Stafford,Pettigrew,Delmas

Probable Impact Free Agents: Foote,Peterson

I'll believe it when I see it Free Agents/stop gaps: Buchanon(as a number 1 corner),Henry,King,Grady Jackson,Ronald Curry,Terrelle Smith,Peterman,Loper

Solid Compliments: Maurice Morris, Bryant Johnson

Better than you think 100 start club: Backus,Raiola. They take the heat but Schwartz/Linehan liked them. Backus wasn't as bad as people make out last year and Raiola needs to play better 2008 was his worst outing.

13 people that I could count on plus the 2 compliments. Half of the believe it when I see it work out, the team is at least resptable again. Talking 5 or 6 wins. All the believe it when I see its fail, most are stop gaps anyway.

I give Sims one more year. After that, talent doesn't trump running around like you've got your head up your ass.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
06-25-2009, 05:26 PM
I give Sims one more year. After that, talent doesn't trump running around like you've got your head up your ass.

Well when you are the only one in the back 7 that can tackle, you have to do some head ass running. Actually Bullocks was ok but needs work. Peterson,Foote,hopefully Delmas based on his scouting and Bullocks staying at least ok should help big time back there. I don't think I've ever seen so many solid tacklers at the LBs and Safeties for Detroit.

Can't teach speed like Sims has. You can give him one more year, but he's got 2 years left on his rookie deal. So he's got 2 years and hopefully he does enough to be worthy of resigned in the next 2 years.

ironman4579
06-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Well when you are the only one in the back 7 that can tackle, you have to do some head ass running. Actually Bullocks was ok but needs work. Peterson,Foote,hopefully Delmas based on his scouting and Bullocks staying at least ok should help big time back there. I don't think I've ever seen so many solid tacklers at the LBs and Safeties for Detroit.

Can't teach speed like Sims has. You can give him one more year, but he's got 2 years left on his rookie deal. So he's got 2 years and hopefully he does enough to be worthy of resigned in the next 2 years.

And yet he still misses far too many tackles. Trying to do too much ends up hurting the team just as much as the horrid players because he seems to be incapable of playing within the damn defense. We got killed by cutback runs last year while Ernie was having a party on the wrong side of the field.

He has two more years on his rookie deal, but I'm personally done with him after this year if he doesn't step up and learn that playing within the scheme is more important than just running around. You can't teach speed, but so far no one's been able to teach Sims how to play his damn position either.

Scotty D
06-25-2009, 11:47 PM
I like Sims much more as a compliment to a defense then someone that gets focused on. I think the additions of Foote and Peterson will help out his play. Going 0-16 has it's psychological affect on players. Honestly I don't think he will cost that much. I think he gets a contract around what Briggs got, but a bit under because he's done less in his career and Briggs signed for something very reasonable.

DoWnThEfiElD
06-26-2009, 11:08 PM
We traded Alexander for Dennis Northcutt. Another WR, the coaching staff must not like what they see yet.

Also A article about Bullocks is up on detroitlions.com, he looks bigger, hopefully he will stay healthy.

Prowler
06-27-2009, 09:05 AM
another feel good story. basically schwartz took the top 3 picks to dearborn to meet some workers and stay grounded.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20090627/OPINION03/906270331/1126/sports0101/Lions-coach-shows-his-young-players-the-city-s-spirit--character

Schwartz has broken down barriers simply because he is a Lions coach.
He broke down more when he saw workers wearing Ford F-150 truck caps. He mentioned that he owns a 1994 F-150 with more than 200,000 miles. A small admission like that got the conversation going and drew a lot of smiles.

ironman4579
06-27-2009, 09:35 AM
another feel good story. basically schwartz took the top 3 picks to dearborn to meet some workers and stay grounded.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20090627/OPINION03/906270331/1126/sports0101/Lions-coach-shows-his-young-players-the-city-s-spirit--character

Good article. I'm surprised, as Terry Foster is about the worst writer out there. I guess every squirrel really does find a nut once in awhile.