PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst trades your team ever made?

49ersfan_87
06-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Best

Trading a 2nd and 4th round pick to Tampa Bay for Steve Young. Those 2 picks turned out to be LB Winston Moss and WR Bruce Hill. Neither played more than 4 years for Tampa Bay. Young went on to become a 1st-ballot HOFer, and arguably a top 10 QB of all time.

Worst

The 49ers traded up for J.J. Stokes in the 1995 draft, giving up a future 1st rounder. That pick would turn out to be the 26th selection in 1996. No big deal, right? It just turned out to be Ray Lewis. Stokes went on to have many mediocre seasons and was released in 2002. Ray Lewis is a guaranteed Hall of Famer. Swing and a miss for the 49ers here.

What are some good/bad trades your team made both recently and historically?

XxXdragonXxX
06-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Best

Tough one between trading Rick Mirer to the Bears for a 1st round pick, Galloway to the Cowboys for two f1st rounders or getting Largent from the Oilers for an 8th. But Im gonna go with the Largent trade because it netted the only HOF player in franchise history.

Worst

Probably trading the 2nd pick in 1977 for three 2nd rounders to the Cowboys who got Tony Dorsett. Or trading a first for Deion Branch.

The Dynasty
06-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Best: I cant think of any at the moment...Probably trading to get Fran Tarkenton back with the vikings.

Worst: The Herschel Walker Trade

The Vikings would make what would be considered its biggest personnel blunder in team history. On October 12, 1989, the Vikings acquired Herschel Walker from Dallas. The final result of the trade gave the Vikings Walker, third-round choice Mike Jones, fifth-round choice Reggie Thornton and tenth-round choice Pat Newman in 1990 and a third-round choice in 1991 Jake Reed, while Dallas received Issiac Holt, David Howard, Darrin Nelson, Jesse Solomon, Alex Stewart, a 1st, 2nd and 6th-round choice in 1990, 1st and 2nd-round choices in 1991 and a 1st, 2nd and 3rd-round choice in 1992. Two of those selections turned into Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson. Herschel's performance fell short of expectations in his three seasons with the Vikings, while the Cowboys rode their draft picks to three Super Bowl victories in the early to mid 1990s.

Randy Moss trade was also pretty bad.

GB12
06-13-2009, 10:31 PM
You can't judge trading draft picks based on who was selected. There's no way of knowing that the 49ers would have picked Ray Lewis like the Ravens did. They didn't trade Ray Lewis for JJ Stokes, they traded the 26th pick for JJ Stokes. Huge difference. Had that trade not happend it'd be more likely that the 49ers would have Alex Van Dyke.

GB12
06-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Best for the Packers would be trading for Brett Favre. It cost a first round pick, but for 16 years of a hall of fame QB that's a damn good deal.

I'm drawing a blank on bad trades. I know we've got some, but I can't think of any at the moment.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
06-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Worst- The combination of the Cutler trade and then trading our own first round pick(almost guaranteed to be a better pick than Chicago's, probably top 10) for #37. Nope, we couldn't just write into the trade that they got our worse pick, had to be our own.

Best- Elway, probably, although I don't know the stuff involved with that.

Also, the Portis-Bailey trade is probably the only trade I can think of where both teams were very happy with what they got. Although I do miss CP

(f***en saved)

princefielder28
06-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Packers' worst trade ever

The Packers acquired QB John Hadl for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder in 1975 and a 1st and 3rd rounder in 1976. Hadl started 19 games as a Packer and tallied 9 TDs and 29 INTs.

GB12
06-13-2009, 10:50 PM

The Packers acquired QB John Hadl for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder in 1975 and a 1st and 3rd rounder in 1976. Hadl started 19 games as a Packer and tallied 9 TDs and 29 INTs.
Ah yeah, there we go. What makes it even worse is he was benched before all that was given up for him.

aNYtitan
06-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Alright the Tennessee Titans short history

Best trade:
Traded for Kevin Carter from the St. Louis Rams. Became a stalwart on our defensive line for many years

Worst trade:
Traded Steve McNair to the Baltimore Ravens for a 4th round pick. Was the heart and soul of our team, and this deal basically finished off the old regime. And to a rival no less!

Paul
06-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Best: Herschel Walker Trade Obviously.

Worst: Between the Joey Galloway trade (two 1st) or trading down in 2004 when SJax was fell into our laps. But JJ was somewhat solid while he was here and we're doing okay at RB now, so I'm going to go with the Joey Galloway trade.

Dam8610
06-14-2009, 12:21 AM
I'll just do Indianapolis Colts franchise history:

Worst: The Colts essentially traded Marshall Faulk for Mike Peterson and Brad Scioli when they traded him for the Rams 2nd and 5th round picks. While Peterson and Scioli weren't bad players, Marshall Faulk is a future Hall of Famer.

Best: 2nd round pick for Booger McFarland. Championship.

StripedWalrus
06-14-2009, 01:12 AM
I'll just do Indianapolis Colts franchise history:

Worst: The Colts essentially traded Marshall Faulk for Mike Peterson and Brad Scioli when they traded him for the Rams 2nd and 5th round picks. While Peterson and Scioli weren't bad players, Marshall Faulk is a future Hall of Famer.

Best: 2nd round pick for Booger McFarland. Championship.

Eh I dont know if Trading Marshal Faulk was all that bad. Colts ended up drafting Edge and he led the league in rushing yards in 99 and 2000. Not to mention he holds the colts career touchdown and rushing records.

PalmerToCJ
06-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Best: Not really sure to be honest, too tired now but I'm sure I can think of something.

Worst: Not making the freaking Ricky Williams trade... Instead of just loading up on draft picks we of course, took the incredible Akili Smith who spent a few years running for his life and hasn't been heard of since.

Dam8610
06-14-2009, 02:58 AM
Eh I dont know if Trading Marshal Faulk was all that bad. Colts ended up drafting Edge and he led the league in rushing yards in 99 and 2000. Not to mention he holds the colts career touchdown and rushing records.

I really can't come up with a worse trade. Edge didn't come from the Faulk trade, he came from the Colts being Top 5 pick bad in 1998, so when you consider the return on the trade alone, it's a bad trade.

WMD
06-14-2009, 04:48 AM
Best - Roy Williams/7th Rounder to the Cowboys for a 1st/3rd/6th

Worst - The only one that sticks out to me is Dre Bly to the Broncos for Tatum Bell and George Foster.

MetSox17
06-14-2009, 05:20 AM

Worst: Between the Joey Galloway trade (two 1st) or trading down in 2004 when SJax was fell into our laps. But JJ was somewhat solid while he was here and we're doing okay at RB now, so I'm going to go with the Joey Galloway trade.

The Joey Galloway trade is far and away the worst trade Dallas has ever made. Parcells made up for passing on SJax with making a Pro Bowl RB out of a 4th round pick, but the Galloway trade just absolutely crippled the franchise. The guy that was supposed to be the savior of the WR position for us never had more than 908 yards, after tearing his ACL his first season with the team.

AntoinCD
06-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Up there for the Patriots has to be Randy Moss for a 4th round pick and a 1st round pick for Deion Branch. Oh and Bill Belichick for a 1st round pick as well.

Not really sure about worst trades although trading up for Chad Jackson when Greg Jennings was still on the board kinda hurts

BufFan71
06-14-2009, 08:35 AM
ummm

too many bad ones

Trading a 1st for Rob Johnson
Trading a 1st for Drew Bledsoe
Trading next years 1st to trade up and get JP Losman
Jason Peters for a Late 1st round pick?

kill me?

best?

out of our most recent trades....

Willis McGahee two 3rds and a 5th
out of those picks we got Marcus Stroud and Trent Edwards

Smooth Criminal
06-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Steelers best trade has to be getting Jerome Bettis from the Rams in 96.

I can't really think of a worst one. We don't trade players very often.

E-Man
06-14-2009, 10:46 AM

The Joey Galloway trade is far and away the worst trade Dallas has ever made. Parcells made up for passing on SJax with making a Pro Bowl RB out of a 4th round pick, but the Galloway trade just absolutely crippled the franchise. The guy that was supposed to be the savior of the WR position for us never had more than 908 yards, after tearing his ACL his first season with the team.

What these two said. What sucks more is that Galloway was supposed to make up for Irvin's retirement, and passing on Moss.

BigJohn98
06-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Trading Rob Johnson to Buffalo for a 1st rd. pick= Fred Taylor

phlysac
06-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Best

Trading a 2nd and 4th round pick to Tampa Bay for Steve Young. Those 2 picks turned out to be LB Winston Moss and WR Bruce Hill. Neither played more than 4 years for Tampa Bay. Young went on to become a 1st-ballot HOFer, and arguably a top 10 QB of all time.

Worst

The 49ers traded up for J.J. Stokes in the 1995 draft, giving up a future 1st rounder. That pick would turn out to be the 26th selection in 1996. No big deal, right? It just turned out to be Ray Lewis. Stokes went on to have many mediocre seasons and was released in 2002. Ray Lewis is a guaranteed Hall of Famer. Swing and a miss for the 49ers here.

You can't judge trading draft picks based on who was selected. There's no way of knowing that the 49ers would have picked Ray Lewis like the Ravens did. They didn't trade Ray Lewis for JJ Stokes, they traded the 26th pick for JJ Stokes. Huge difference. Had that trade not happend it'd be more likely that the 49ers would have Alex Van Dyke.

^This

Also, JJ Stokes actually had a hell of a career. 49er fans expected the next Jerry Rice, those expectations were ridiculous. He's a top-10 All-Time receiver for the team, all while being a 4th or 5th option most of the time. If a 1st round pick turns out to be one of the 10 most productive players at their position in the history of their team, I think you can consider that a success.

Worst

Trading Terrell Owens to the Philadelphia Eagles for Brandon Whiting

49ersfan_87
06-14-2009, 11:21 AM
^This

Also, JJ Stokes actually had a hell of a career. 49er fans expected the next Jerry Rice, those expectations were ridiculous. He's a top-10 All-Time receiver for the team, all while being a 4th or 5th option most of the time. If a 1st round pick turns out to be one of the 10 most productive players at their position in the history of their team, I think you can consider that a success.

Worst

Trading Terrell Owens to the Philadelphia Eagles for Brandon Whiting

He was an ok player, but he was a top 10 pick and we gave up another 1st rounder on top of that. He wasn't Rashaun Woods but for 2 1st round picks, he just wasn't worth what we gave up for him, making it a bad trade IMO. Had a hard time thinking about worse trades than that, but Owens was horrific. Forgot about that one.

senormysterioso
06-14-2009, 11:24 AM

not worse trading our long snapper, guaranteed first ballot hall of famer JJ Jansen to the Panthers for a conditional seventh rounder!

The Unseen
06-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Best: 1st round pick from Robb Johnson, which was used to get Fred Taylor.

Worst: hmm...dunno if there's been any bad trades in Jaguars history. Bad FA moves, yes, but I can't think of anything.

keylime_5
06-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Worst: Trading Paul Warfield

Best: Can't think of one that sticks out. Hopefully the Brady Quinn trade. The Shaun Rogers trade was a total steal as well.

Gay Ork Wang
06-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Best: Probably the Cutler trade

Da-Phins
06-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Best: Trading JT for a 2nd and 5th round pick...then getting him back a year later.

Worst: Trading a 2nd rounder for AJ Feeley.

Saints 4 Lyfe
06-14-2009, 01:26 PM
worst trade ever.

The Redskins traded their first rounder (#5) to the Saints for a first (#12), third (#71) fourth (#107), fifth (#144), sixth (#179) and seventh (#218) round pick in this year's draft, and a first and third round selection in 2000.

Malaka
06-14-2009, 01:49 PM
worst trade ever.

The Redskins traded their first rounder (#5) to the Saints for a first (#12), third (#71) fourth (#107), fifth (#144), sixth (#179) and seventh (#218) round pick in this year's draft, and a first and third round selection in 2000.

That was an epic failure of a trade. Mike Ditka was really stupid for that even though Ricky Williams was a hell of a player when he was on the Saints.

Gay Ork Wang
06-14-2009, 01:51 PM
That was an epic failure of a trade. Mike Ditka was really stupid for that even though Ricky Williams was a hell of a player when he was on the Saints.
yea and the redskins fail even more for not turning into a dynasty with those picks

Malaka
06-14-2009, 02:01 PM
yea and the redskins fail even more for not turning into a dynasty with those picks

Once you think about it... the Saints ended up winning that trade in the end anyway lol.

Saints 4 Lyfe
06-14-2009, 02:04 PM
That was an epic failure of a trade. Mike Ditka was really stupid for that even though Ricky Williams was a hell of a player when he was on the Saints.he wasn't even that good on the saints. that's why we drafted deuce and traded him.

that trade was probably the best. RW for two 1st rounders.

then we **** it up again trade both to draft Jon Sullivan....

GB12
06-14-2009, 02:07 PM
They used to picks to trade up with the Bears for Champ Baily. Chicago took Cade McNown.

They then traded up with the Bears again with the remaining picks they had and took Jon Jansen in the second.

Paul
06-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Didn't they get Arrington from that deal aswell?

bearfan
06-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Bears best: Obviously Cutler
Worst: I dont know much about Bears prior to 2000, but i looked up the Mierer trade with the seahawks...pretty bad. Worst in recent memory is trading Chris Harris to the Panthers for a 5th round pick. Not only is he a quality saftey, but we have had no one else at saftey since then.

princefielder28
06-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Best for the Packers would be trading for Brett Favre. It cost a first round pick, but for 16 years of a hall of fame QB that's a damn good deal.

I'm drawing a blank on bad trades. I know we've got some, but I can't think of any at the moment.

I have got a good trade for Green Bay

Packers trading CB Fred Vinson and a 6th round pick to Seattle for RB Ahman Green and a 5th round pick.

cvv84
06-14-2009, 04:00 PM

Trading our 17th overall pick and Matt Hasselbeck to the Seahawks for their 10th overall pick, which we used to select Jamal "too small" Reynolds. We passed up Dan Morgan, Marcus Stroud, and the Seahawks selected Steve Hutchinson with our original pick.

We got Al Harris from the Eagles for a 2nd round pick and Ryan Grant from the Giants for a 6th round pick.

We traded Javon Walker for a 2nd round pick, which used to draft Daryn Colledge.

We traded Mike McKenzie for J.T. O'Sullivan and a 2nd round pick, which we used to select Nick Collins.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
06-14-2009, 04:03 PM

Worst - The only one that sticks out to me is Dre Bly to the Broncos for Tatum Bell and George Foster.

Agree with the best. Roy trade down one spot instead of Killen Winslow netting us an extra 1st somehow. Forget how it went down. We used the 1st on Kevin Jones, which didn't work out either, but thats because of Millen and Kevin Jones just not taking that next step. Millen could move around he just couldn't pick anyone worth anything. Although Kevin Jones did have some potential but then the injuries hit twice and Martz didn't utlize him properly/enough in his prime.

Bly traded didn't work out for anybody. Bly regressed severely once he went to Denver. Of course playing with Champ, you're going to get picked on so maybe being a "number 1" in Detroit masked Blys inabilities. Or he just got older and regressed.

Worst Lions trade was Shaun Rogers for Leigh Bodden(for 1 year in wrong scheme) and 3rd rounder Andre Fluellen(who does have potential but is lightyears to even be a Corey Redding and being a Rogers is out of the question). Biggest reason we went 0-16 was that Rogerless Dline(rendereing Redding/Lenon useless) coupled with those LBs/FS last year. Shaun was hiding a lot of lack of talent with his double teams and interior pass rush. Plus Rogers went to the Probowl in 2008 and 2007 was his best year as a Lion yet we trade him. Some of thats on Shaun for just being a lazy person, being overweight and wanting another big contract. Change of scenery helped Shaun but we still really really needed him. I'm hoping McCoy or Suh to Detroit in 2010 and that stop gap of Grady and very solid LBs/best safety in draft class will help.

GB12
06-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Trading our 17th overall pick and Matt Hasselbeck to the Seahawks for their 10th overall pick, which we used to select Jamal "too small" Reynolds. We passed up Dan Morgan, Marcus Stroud, and the Seahawks selected Steve Hutchinson with our original pick.
That was not at all a bad trade. That was a very good trade. We moved up seven spots in the first and got a third rounder for a QB that would have never played for us. The fact that they got Steve Hutchinson is irrelevant.

Again, why do people keeping bringing up the players who were drafted with the picks? That has nothing to do with a trade being good or bad. Unless it was a draft day trade made to draft a certain player that information is meaningless in this. If the 49ers trade a 5th for Lee Evans, but with that 5th rounder the Bills draft a QB who turns out to be the best QB in NFL history, that doesn't make it a bad trade for San Francisco.

Vox Populi
06-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Why Is This Now Pro Football And Where Did It All Go :|

CashmoneyDrew
06-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Why Is This Now Pro Football And Where Did It All Go :|

IDK. Apparently someone thinks that the UFL is gonna last. Either that or that the CFL conversation on this site is gonna catch fire....

Calvin & Kevin
06-14-2009, 05:33 PM

Agree with the best... etc. etc.

Bly traded didn't work out for anybody. Bly regressed severely once he went to Denver. Of course playing with Champ, you're going to get picked on so maybe being a "number 1" in Detroit masked Blys inabilities. Or he just got older and regressed.

Worst Lions trade was Shaun Rogers for Leigh Bodden(for 1 year in wrong scheme) and 3rd rounder Andre Fluellen... etc. etc.

OK guys, I will forgive you if you're both under 28 but it shouldn't be too long ago for you to remember this: trading the #8 pick in the 1993 draft to the Saints for Pat Swilling who didn't want to be here, didn't fit our system, played like garbage and was gone in 2 years. The Saints meanwhile landed 11-time Pro Bowler Willie Roaf.

BufFan71
06-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Best: 1st round pick from Robb Johnson, which was used to get Fred Taylor.

Worst: hmm...dunno if there's been any bad trades in Jaguars history. Bad FA moves, yes, but I can't think of anything.

Worst for Jacksonville?

a 3rd and 5th for Marcus Stroud?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
OK guys, I will forgive you if you're both under 28 but it shouldn't be too long ago for you to remember this: trading the #8 pick in the 1993 draft to the Saints for Pat Swilling who didn't want to be here, didn't fit our system, played like garbage and was gone in 2 years. The Saints meanwhile landed 11-time Pro Bowler Willie Roaf.

Yeah I'm only 26 and only watched the Lions some in the early 90s. Probably around 97 and 98 got super fanatical. We wouldn't have taken Roaf with Lomas but that still is a very bad trade. DE failure for the number 8 pick is very bad. I do remember watching Swilling stink though.

vidae
06-14-2009, 06:11 PM
For the Chiefs:

Best: Probably trading up for Tony Gonzalez. I can't think of a better move than that.

Worst: Definitely trading up to get Ryan Sims. So horrible. We could have had Dwight Freeney!

cvv84
06-14-2009, 06:35 PM
That was not at all a bad trade. That was a very good trade. We moved up seven spots in the first and got a third rounder for a QB that would have never played for us. The fact that they got Steve Hutchinson is irrelevant.

Again, why do people keeping bringing up the players who were drafted with the picks? That has nothing to do with a trade being good or bad. Unless it was a draft day trade made to draft a certain player that information is meaningless in this. If the 49ers trade a 5th for Lee Evans, but with that 5th rounder the Bills draft a QB who turns out to be the best QB in NFL history, that doesn't make it a bad trade for San Francisco.

In theory it was a good trade, but the selection and subsquent selection of Reynolds make it a bad one.

If that 5th rounder pick turns out to become a HOFer then you're talking about a player that was taken from a pick, which the exact correlation to you saying that it has nothing to do with a trade being good or bad.

Obviously you need year(s) to evaluate a trade. Hence you are evaluating the player that was received against what was given up. When you're giving up draft picks you are in essence giving up players so like it or not you have to throw them into the equasion.

GB12
06-14-2009, 06:39 PM
In theory it was a good trade, but the selection and subsquent selection of Reynolds make it a bad one.
That's poor drafting. They are two separate things. A trade isn't bad because the player picked with the draft choice was a bust. That was a good trade with bad drafting, not a bad trade.

TitleTown088
06-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Bears best: Obviously Cutler
How so? What the heck has Cutler done for the Bears thus far?

The Unseen
06-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Worst for Jacksonville?

a 3rd and 5th for Marcus Stroud?

Well perhaps, but it wasn't an awful trade. I think that's what the thread is driving at.

cvv84
06-14-2009, 07:04 PM
That's poor drafting. They are two separate things. A trade isn't bad because the player picked with the draft choice was a bust. That was a good trade with bad drafting, not a bad trade.

You have to evaluate all the players that you get/trade away in a deal. Draft picks included.

BlindSite
06-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Worst: Any decision Seifert Made, it seems like he tried to trade away anyone good we had for ancient do nothings.

Best: Probably the trade for Chris Harris, it cost us a fifth rounder (which we recouped later) and gave us a decent safety who went on to lead the NFL in forced fumbles that same year and changed the tone of the defense in the secondary which was really lacking in swagger and feeling without minter.

Manic Depressant
06-14-2009, 07:27 PM
You have to evaluate all the players that you get/trade away in a deal. Draft picks included.

Not if those picks haven't happened yet. That makes no sense.

Vox Populi
06-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Not if those picks haven't happened yet. That makes no sense.

You can say the same about the people being traded for, they haven't sucked for their new teams yet when they are acquired, just like a draft pick hasn't happened yet.

The argument goes both ways, but more favourably in GB12's direction.

GB12
06-14-2009, 09:34 PM
No, that's ridiculous. If it was trading the rights to a player drafted like what happens in the NBA sometimes that would make some sense, but 99% of NFL trades don't work like that. It doesn't make any sense at all to include the players drafted to grade a trade. There is no way of knowing that the team that traded the pick would have taken the same player.

Go back to the trade you brought up. The Hasselbeck trade was very good for the Packers. The fact that Jamal Reynolds busted and Hutchinson is a pro bowler has nothing to do with it. You can't just assume that we would have taken Hutchinson had that trade not happend. In fact the chances of that happening would have been basically zero since we had Rivera and Wahle at the time. The trade wasn't Hasselbeck and Hutchinson for Jamal Reynolds and Torrence Marshall. It was Hasselbeck and 17, for 10 and a third, and that's the way it should be graded.

Mr. Hero
06-14-2009, 11:37 PM

Become the best QB in franchise history?

bearfan
06-14-2009, 11:42 PM

This is true, he hasnt done anything but bring us a name. Hopefully he will pan out, and if he does its the best trade we have made.

the decider13
06-14-2009, 11:58 PM

Yep...I'm sure that falcons fans in the 90's thought that trading 2 firsts for Jeff George was the smartest thing they ever did. Oops.

Honestly, the trade needs 3 years before both sides can be fairly evaluated. Cutler needs time with his new team before he is too harshly judged and Denver's picks need time to developed before it is considered a failure for them.

Worst Bronco trade: Trading Willie Brown. Yes he was a Bronco at one point. I wasn't alive obviously, but I still know that trade a HOF player is always bad.

Best: Elway obviously

Even: Portis-Bailey

scottyboy
06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm surprised nobody's brought up the whole Eli-Rivers trade...soooo I'm just gonna stay away from that one.

Gay Ork Wang
06-15-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm surprised nobody's brought up the whole Eli-Rivers trade...soooo I'm just gonna stay away from that one.
wasnt bad for either one

skinzzfan25
06-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Yep...I'm sure that falcons fans in the 90's thought that trading 2 firsts for Jeff George was the smartest thing they ever did. Oops.

Honestly, the trade needs 3 years before both sides can be fairly evaluated. Cutler needs time with his new team before he is too harshly judged and Denver's picks need time to developed before it is considered a failure for them.

Worst Bronco trade: Trading Willie Brown. Yes he was a Bronco at one point. I wasn't alive obviously, but I still know that trade a HOF player is always bad.

Best: Elway obviously

Even: Portis-Bailey

Portis + Bailey and a second (Tatum Bell) was about even.

People usually fail to see that Bailey wanted out of Washington regardless that season. He was going to hold out or eventually be cut so the fact that we got some compensation for him was great. We later signed Shawn Springs in the offseason and he played top CB for a good while.

toddmlazarchick
06-15-2009, 10:55 AM

Since a dynasty is made with in one draft. Those picks landed us Chris Samuels and LaVar Arrington. Ill redo that draft the same anyday. One of the best LTs in the game still today and Arrington was a beast until he became a headcase. Who could have seen his career ending the way it did?

Best: Probably the Cutler trade

Could I have the lotto numbers as for tonight as well? :rolleyes:

Our best as of recently was either the Portis from Denver for Bailey and a 2nd or Moss from the Jets for Coles. Back in the day was Sonny from the Eagles but im not sure what we gave up on that one.

Gay Ork Wang
06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
no matter how Cutler turns out, the move to trade for a 25 year old pro bowl QB is always good :/

scottyboy
06-15-2009, 12:13 PM
wasnt bad for either one

i know, but that one sparks lots of heated debate :D

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
06-15-2009, 01:45 PM

That would still have to be Sid Luckman. If Cutler becomes a hall of famer, then maybe he is the best QB in Bears history.

toddmlazarchick
06-15-2009, 08:47 PM
no matter how Cutler turns out, the move to trade for a 25 year old pro bowl QB is always good :/

SO if he turns out to be a major bust and never win a game from Chicago its still a good trade because he is 25 and went to one pro bowl? Glad to know you have such low standards!

Gay Ork Wang
06-15-2009, 09:08 PM
SO if he turns out to be a major bust and never win a game from Chicago its still a good trade because he is 25 and went to one pro bowl? Glad to know you have such low standards!
no, but as of this moment it is the best trade...

yourfavestoner
06-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Getting this guy:
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/johnson_rob.jpg

for this guy:
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/fred-taylor.jpg

Thank you Buffalo. And thank you Chicago for snatching up Curtis Enis before we could pick him.

phlysac
06-15-2009, 09:21 PM
no, but as of this moment it is the best trade...

I'm not a Bears fan but using the "ended up drafting" hindsight, I've got to say that their best trade was...

1964 NFL Draft 2nd Round + 4th Round Picks in exchange for the Pittsburgh Steelers 1965 1st Round Selection

In hindsight that trade turned out to be...

Jim Kelly - WR - Notre Dame and Ben McGee - DT - Jackson State
for
Dick Butkus - LB - Illinois

The Bears picked Hall of Famers Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers back-to-back thanks to this trade.

the decider13
06-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Portis + Bailey and a second (Tatum Bell) was about even.

People usually fail to see that Bailey wanted out of Washington regardless that season. He was going to hold out or eventually be cut so the fact that we got some compensation for him was great. We later signed Shawn Springs in the offseason and he played top CB for a good while.

Yeah it was an extremely even trade...one I was a little upset with at the time. I loved portis. To be fair, I was only like 14 haha

If the Broncos had used that pick on Bob Sanders instead, this would be a different conversation.

7DnBrnc53
07-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Best Bronco trade: Elway, duh.

Worst Bronco trade: Trading their 1980 #1, #2, and QB Craig Penrose to the Jets for QB Matt Robinson. Awful. QB Craig Morton wasn't the problem. He needed a better O-line and running game. If they would have taken OT Kent Hill out of Georgia Tech in 1979 instead of Kelvin Clark, and if they would have used those picks that they gave up for Robinson on RB Joe Cribbs and OT/OG Irv Pankey, they would have done a lot more to improve the team than one stiff QB could have done.

yourfavestoner
07-11-2010, 12:39 AM
Getting this guy:
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/johnson_rob.jpg

for this guy:
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/fred-taylor.jpg

Thank you Buffalo. And thank you Chicago for snatching up Curtis Enis before we could pick him.

I love this picture so much.

descendency
07-11-2010, 01:28 AM

Sid Luckman > Jay Cutler. And that's not even close.

Brothgar
07-11-2010, 02:09 AM

Worst - Trading Bobby Lane

Razor
07-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Up there for the Patriots has to be Randy Moss for a 4th round pick and a 1st round pick for Deion Branch. Oh and Bill Belichick for a 1st round pick as well.

Not really sure about worst trades although trading up for Chad Jackson when Greg Jennings was still on the board kinda hurts

I agree with this, but the Wes Welker and Richard Seymour trades are right up there. A second rounder for Welker and a first rounder for a 30-year old injury prone DE (who, however, is an All-Pro and potential HoF candidate imo). I can't really think of any trade that's not draft related where I was like "ZOMG, WTF?!? Fire BB, now we'll never win again!" but when we passed on Sergio Kindle on multiple occasion in the first round I was almost at that point. That was, of course, before anybody knew about his knee..

wonderbredd24
07-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Worst for the 49ers and the best for the Bills?

San Francisco receives O.J. Simpson

Buffalo receives San Francisco's 2nd and 3rd in 1978 and their 1st and 4th in 1979.

Joe M Charlie
07-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Instead of keeping Tony Dungy we fire him and we trade for Jon Gruden who really did not for our franchise besides draft a bunch of busts and put us in the position we are now. All he did was take Dungy's players to the Superbowl.

prock
07-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Instead of keeping Tony Dungy we fire him and we trade for Jon Gruden who really did not for our franchise besides draft a bunch of busts and put us in the position we are now. All he did was take Dungy's players to the Superbowl.

And you won the Super Bowl, so it obviously was an AWFUL trade.

prock
07-11-2010, 10:15 AM
The worst? Herschal Walker.

The best? Jared Allen.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
07-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Worst: Trading a 4th round pick to the Jets for 3 years of Herm Edwards as HC. Maybe this is me being bitter, but Herm was a bad choice in 2006 when they made the deal and it was WAY worse when he was fired after the 2008 season.

Best: Trading away Jared Allen to the Vikes for a 1st, and 2 3rds. He was a mediocre player. He didn't get sacks in the 4th quarter, when it really matters. He was a drunk that was on his way to a full season suspention from the NFL with 1 more DUI. Oh.... wait. That's the Carl Peterson propaganda talking. Jared Allen was our best player! He was a fan favorite! Everyone in Arrowhead loved the guy. He made a few mistakes and was changing his life for the better. Even getting a 1st and 2 3rds, this still might be my LEAST FAVORITE TRADE IN CHIEFS HISTORY!!

bored of education
07-11-2010, 10:50 AM
lol @ Carl Peterson keeping LJ and trading away Jared Allen

PoopSandwich
07-11-2010, 10:53 AM
In recent history, the Sheldon Brown trade is probably the best...

The worst was probably giving up a second round pick to move up one slot with the Lions...

Joe M Charlie
07-11-2010, 12:17 PM
And you won the Super Bowl, so it obviously was an AWFUL trade.

Because they were Tony Dungy's players he took. If we would of kept Dungy then we still would of done it. I am glad Jon Gruden is gone.

keylime_5
07-11-2010, 12:40 PM
trading up for Kellen Winslow, trading a future first round pick and a second round pick for Brady Quinn were both bad ideas. Trading Paul Warfield to Miami was freaking dumb too.

prock
07-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Because they were Tony Dungy's players he took. If we would of kept Dungy then we still would of done it. I am glad Jon Gruden is gone.

You don't know that you still would have won it. I am a HUGE Dungy fan, but you are complaining about a coach who won a Super Bowl for you, yeah they were Dungy's players, but you can't complain about winning a Super Bowl.

wonderbredd24
07-11-2010, 01:08 PM

It definitely didn't hurt having Oakland's coach on your sideline for the Superbowl.

Ness
07-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Best

Worst

What are some good/bad trades your team made both recently and historically?

Not getting Ray Lewis hurts, but honestly we already had a good linebacker corp at the time with Gary Plummer, Lee Woodall, and of course Ken Norton Jr. manning the middle. Lewis would have been a good selection over Stokes, but I can see why they wanted to try and select a receiver. John Taylor was leaving and Jerry Rice was already 32 or 33 years old at the time. At least we got Terrell Owens the following season.

yourfavestoner
07-11-2010, 01:25 PM

No, Tony Dungy would have merely continued watching his team lose in the playoffs with a blank stare on his face like he did in Indy.

Most overrated head coach in the history of football, I swear.

I forgot, though, it's blasphemy to say anything bad about the guy because he's religious and nice.

zachsaints52
07-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Notable: Most observers felt the Saints would move up from their first-round no-man's land, with choices No. 17 and No. 18 overall, to grab one of the two premier cornerback prospects. But the player coach Jim Haslett really wanted was defensive tackle Jonathan Sullivan, a guy he hopes will help solve the Saints' inability to stop the run. It was a lot to surrender, though, to get a player some feel takes a few snaps off himself.

Brent
07-11-2010, 02:56 PM
I forgot, though, it's blasphemy to say anything bad about the guy because he's religious and nice.
And, his kid committed suicide. Can't forget that part.

RealityCheck
07-11-2010, 03:12 PM
A 4th for Randy? Yeah.
Branch for a 1st? Hell yeah.
Seymour for a 1st that could end up as a Top 5 pick? Hell damn yeah.

Trading down when Dez Bryant was right there for us? Nah.

prock
07-11-2010, 03:28 PM
A 4th for Randy? Yeah.

Not sure if "hell damn yeah" is an expression.

umphrey
07-12-2010, 08:47 AM

When Mike Sherman traded up to take punter BJ Sander that has to be the most stupid, but it was just a middle round draft trade so it wasn't very damaging.

SuperMcGee
07-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Not sure if "hell damn yeah" is an expression.

"We're gonna live like kings! Damn, hell ass kings!"

Rob S
07-12-2010, 09:52 AM
"We're gonna live like kings! Damn, hell ass kings!"

http://www.majorspoilers.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/bartNude.jpg

I love old school Simpsons and I love you, McGee.

descendency
07-12-2010, 11:04 AM
No, Tony Dungy would have merely continued watching his team lose in the playoffs with a blank stare on his face like he did in Indy.

Now they have Jim Caldwell to do that.
http://www.scoresreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Jim-Caldwell-1211.jpg

yourfavestoner
07-12-2010, 11:36 AM
And, his kid committed suicide. Can't forget that part.

The fact that people bring him up as a HoF coach is disgusting to me.

I completely understand why John Madden is in the Hall of Fame since he is one of the games great ambassadors. However, his credentials as a coach opened the door for a lot of other guys to be in HoF discussions as well, so long as they have a pretty good winning record and one Superbowl win.

Guys like Dungy and Cowher being argued as Hall of Famers makes me want to punch babies.

703SKINS202
07-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Worst: So many. Trading a 3rd for TJ Duckett. A 3rd and 4th for B Lloyd. 2nd and 6th for J Taylor.

Brothgar
07-12-2010, 01:33 PM
A 4th for Randy? Yeah.

I don't see any way that the Raiders are a top 5 pick. To be honest I don't even see the raiders as a top 15 pick.

Bigburt63
07-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Best: Moss for a 4th, Welker for a 2nd, a 1st for Branch.

Worst: Trading the pick to the 49ers, to allow them to select Jerry Rice.

K Train
07-12-2010, 03:37 PM
trading up for santonio holmes in the first

trading away santonio holmes for a 5th

lol, first one was a joke...the troy trade was better but the second one is just awful

Don Vito
07-12-2010, 07:07 PM
For the Pats

Good:
-Getting Belichick for a first rounder
-Getting Welker for a second
-Getting Moss for a 4th
-Getting the 34th pick for Matt Cassel
-Getting a 1st for Deion Branch (pick used on Meriweather)
-Corey Dillon for a second rounder

Bad:
-Trading up to the top part of round 2 for Chad Jackson
-Giving up a third rounder for Duane Starks

There are more I am forgetting

bigbluedefense
07-12-2010, 07:47 PM
I haven't followed the Giants offseasons much until 2000, so I'll just do the past 10 years.

Best:
-The Eli Manning trade. Worth every penny.

-I'll throw in the Shockey for a 2nd and 5th trade as well. We got away like bandits on that one.

Worst:
-Trading two 2nd rounders for Sinorice Moss

wonderbredd24
07-12-2010, 08:46 PM
The fact that people bring him up as a HoF coach is disgusting to me.

I completely understand why John Madden is in the Hall of Fame since he is one of the games great ambassadors. However, his credentials as a coach opened the door for a lot of other guys to be in HoF discussions as well, so long as they have a pretty good winning record and one Superbowl win.

Guys like Dungy and Cowher being argued as Hall of Famers makes me want to punch babies.

John Madden has the second highest winning percentage in league history
He never had a losing season
He was the youngest coach to reach 100 wins at 42 and he did it in only 10 seasons as coach
And he had a winning record against all of the Hall of Fame coaches he went up against

Now, you can certainly hold it against him that his Raiders lost 5 AFC Title games in 7 years, but he was definitely better than Dungy and Cowher

vikes_28
07-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Vikings

Best
Jared Allen to Cheifs for 1st and 3rd round picks

Worst
Randy Moss to Raiders for Troy Williamson and Napolean Harris.

LonghornsLegend
07-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Joey Galloway trade cost alot more, and hurt alot more, but at least he tore his ACL which screwed up his performance with us.

This picture though, started to get really really old :(

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/06/84/33/slideshow_1338467_falcons-boys10-vb.jpg

That being said, it's even crazier to read about the Herschel Walker trade. Who trades 1st and 2nd rd picks in 3 years in a row, PLUS established players, for one player? I mean even if you did that for Peyton Manning right now, unless you had alot of players locked up stuff like that can cripple your franchise no matter who you get.

Ness
07-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Joey Galloway trade cost alot more, and hurt alot more, but at least he tore his ACL which screwed up his performance with us.

This picture though, started to get really really old :(

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/06/84/33/slideshow_1338467_falcons-boys10-vb.jpg

That being said, it's even crazier to read about the Herschel Walker trade. Who trades 1st and 2nd rd picks in 3 years in a row, PLUS established players, for one player? I mean even if you did that for Peyton Manning right now, unless you had alot of players locked up stuff like that can cripple your franchise no matter who you get.

Well in football, no one player can make a team, like Lebron James can in the NBA. Thank goodness. Even Peyton Manning couldn't achieve the stardom that James has, because he can't do it by himself...even if it was Manning in his prime. I think the Walker trade has all taught us that you really do need a complete team to go far season in and season out.

LonghornsLegend
07-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Well in football, no one player can make a team, like Lebron James can in the NBA. Thank goodness. Even Peyton Manning couldn't achieve the stardom that James has, because he can't do it by himself...even if it was Manning in his prime. I think the Walker trade has all taught us that you really do need a complete team to go far season in and season out.

Exactly, because it might be crazy to some, but if the cost to get Peyton was a 1st and a 2nd for 3 years straight I'd say hell no. I can't believe they were that in love that they really wanted to give up picks 3 years in advance, I didn't even know you were able to do stuff like that.

dan77733
07-13-2010, 01:21 AM
I always knew that the Walker trade was horrible for the Vikings and great for the Cowboys but damn, I didnt know how horrible and how great until reading the post that details the trade. Forget all the other players involved and you basically have three 1st and 2nd rounders plus two 3rd rounders for Walker. Ouch. Thats ******* insane. I wouldnt give up two 1st rounders for Manning let alone all that.

As a 49ers fan, two first rounders for Stokes??? WOW!!! That was easily tied for worst trade and im sorry but Stokes sucked. Owens to Philly for Whiting and a 2005 draft pick (cant remember what round) was pretty much the end of the start of the rebuilding process that we'll hopefully get out of this season.

And shouldnt the best trade be trading up for Jerry Rice?

Ness
07-13-2010, 02:03 AM
And shouldnt the best trade be trading up for Jerry Rice?

Yes. Probably the best trade ever.

LizardState
07-14-2010, 01:02 PM
For Dallas, the 16 total players + draft picks over 2 yrs. for 1 player, Herschel Walker, from the Vikings.

It took the Cowboys from 1-15 to 3 SB rings in 4 yrs. And it drove a stake into the Vikings' heart, only the death of Corey Stringer in training camp & its subsequent lawsuits was worse than the Walker trade in Vikes history.

Worst trade in Dallas history was the Jerry Jones bromance with Joey Galloway who had 2 bad knees, they gave up 2 no. 1s for him & it hurt .... a lot. The silver lining was that Jerry didnt make any more stupid costly trades, they continued the Dallas tradition of more draft day trades than any other team but at the end of the day most of them in the last decade or so have worked out the Cowboys' way.

When the 9ers traded up for Jerry Rice, Bill Walsh was rolling the dice on an unknown player & it paid off bigtime. Luck is always a big factor in draft trades after all.

jayceheathman
07-14-2010, 10:29 PM
For Houston it was probably trading our 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th round pick for Jason Babin.