PDA

View Full Version : Millen named analyst for NFL Network's Thursday Night Football

Gay Ork Wang
06-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Millen named analyst for NFL Network's Thursday Night Football

NFL Network

Matt Millen returns to the NFL broadcast booth as the new analyst for NFL Network’s Thursday Night Football, NFL Network president and CEO Steve Bornstein announced Monday. The new team of Millen and play-by-play announcer Bob Papa will debut on NFL Network’s Thursday Night Football November 12 at 8:00 PM ET when the San Francisco 49ers host the Chicago Bears.

“Matt Millen is one of the best television analysts in the business and we welcome him back to the booth on Thursday Night Football,” said Bornstein. “Matt’s candor, knowledge and passion for the NFL, partnered with Bob Papa, make them a very entertaining and informative announcing team.”Fans, want to get NFL Network? Cable operators, want to carry NFL Network? Click here for more information.

A four-time Super Bowl winner in his playing days, Millen made a smooth transition into the broadcast booth as a highly acclaimed NFL analyst for FOX and CBS from 1995 to 2000. He was regularly mentioned as one of the best analysts on NFL games by the media and his broadcast peers. In addition to working on television, Millen was also the analyst for CBS Radio’s Monday night crew from 1997 to 2000.

“I am humbled to be a part of the NFL Network team,” said Millen. “It is very exciting to be joining Bob Papa and an outstanding crew of professionals on the Thursday Night Football telecasts.”

Millen’s playing career featured four Super Bowl victories with three teams. As a standout linebacker for 12 seasons, Millen played for the Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers and Washington Redskins. He won two Super Bowls with the Raiders (XV, XVIII) one in San Francisco (XXIV) and his last ring with the Redskins (XXVI).

A three-year starter and a first team All-American at Penn State, Millen was Oakland’s second-round selection in the 1980 NFL Draft. Always one of the leaders of any defense he played on, Millen was selected to the Pro Bowl following the 1988 season with the Raiders.

Millen returns to the booth after spending the past eight seasons as the president of the Detroit Lions. He also served on the NFL Competition Committee the past three years. Millen replaces Cris Collinsworth as the analyst on Thursday Night Football games. In addition to working for NFL Network, Millen is an analyst on ESPN’s college football games and Monday Night Countdown show.

ahahaha, right after the season his team went on to become the worst team in NFL History?

tjsunstein
06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
He isn't as bad of an analyst as he was an owner; I actually like his analysis.

GB12
06-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I thought he was working for NBC.

DeathbyStat
06-15-2009, 12:02 PM
They should do some America's Game Lost Rings shows covering his whole tenure in Detroit....that would be superb.

Shahin
06-15-2009, 05:45 PM
nobody else feels like this guy just shouldn't be getting football-related job offers?

Strongside
06-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Good, I think he's a very good analyst. Very knowledgeable.

TitanHope
06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Horrible GM, but he was a very good commentator. He's infamous among the football community, so that'll draw curiosity at least.

Calvin & Kevin
06-15-2009, 06:27 PM
He's a piece of human crap, a liar, a fake, a phony, and egomaniacal twerp.

Let's break this down for a second based on the last couple of day's news:

First, Millen getting hired by NFLN. To paraphrase Peter King and avoid direct quoting: "I heard it's because he wouldn't have been a happy camper ESPN not allowed him to take the gig." Mike Florio verifies that ESPN agreed to tear up an exclusivity clause that Millen agreed to when he took their job.

Second, Millen's mention of his remaining contract time with the Lions: "“That is kind of ongoing right now,” he said. “I’m going to leave it at that.”

Finally, something non-Detroiters will not know: When Millen was given his second contract with the team, a five-year extension that he got after he had already presided over five putrid failures, he said at least three different times that I heard personally and live on the radio, "I don't have an extension, Mr. Ford and I have an agreement that I will stay around as long as he wants me here. On the day he tells me I am no longer needed, I will walk away and not take another dollar."

Do you see the pattern here? The guy is a dishonest piece of crap. He is a huge fake and a disgrace. He's a two-faced twat who goes back on his agreements. He loafed his way through his entire GM career with the Lions, everyone knows that he was the laziest and least hard-working executive in the league. He spent three days a week in Detroit and four in Pennsylvania spending a 'tarded old man's money. He routinely laughed and joked about how terrible he was and how it was all just bad luck. And now he's doing the same thing with his TV career, screwing over everyone he comes in contact with.

Go to Hell, Millen. I hope your plane crashes going between your Thursday night game and your ESPN studio gig. What I really hope is that the Lions somehow earn a Thursday night game sometime in the next few seasons. I would spend $150 for a ticket just so I could hold up a sign saying DIE MATT DIE and an effigy of your fat ass with a noose around its neck, you piece of ****.

The Unseen
06-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Go to Hell, Millen. I hope your plane crashes going between your Thursday night game and your ESPN studio gig. What I really hope is that the Lions somehow earn a Thursday night game sometime in the next few seasons. I would spend $150 for a ticket just so I could hold up a sign saying DIE MATT DIE and an effigy of your fat ass with a noose around its neck, you piece of ****.

You, sir, have problems.

Calvin & Kevin
06-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Ah, come on now, it's not like I plan to actually do the man violence. I do however feel he's one of the most reprehensible people in recent sports history, and the only reason he's not even more reviled nationwide is because it's the Lions, and no one expects them to be good anyway. Believe me, if he had run your team, you would be ranting just as bad.

Addict
06-15-2009, 06:34 PM
well Millen was a tv commentator before he ****** the Lions over for nearly a decade... Guess going back to what he was actually decent at is the logical thing to do.

Shane P. Hallam
06-15-2009, 07:27 PM
He was actually an amazing analyst before he was a GM. People forget that and may write him off, but he gives great insight.

Rob S
06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah he is awesome on TV. Love watching Millen.

princefielder28
06-15-2009, 09:45 PM
He was actually an amazing analyst before he was a GM. People forget that and may write him off, but he gives great insight.

He was great on FOX, now they have Brian Balldinger and a bunch of other big idiots

BlindSite
06-16-2009, 02:55 AM
If Emmit Smith could get a job as an analyst a foreigner with a phrase book and no understanding of the game would be an upgrade.

Shahin
06-16-2009, 02:52 PM
...when somebody goes and drives a franchise into the ground for nearly a decade, doesn't anybody else feel like he should just ******* disappear? this guy should have nothing to do with football. i'm amazed that he not only has the balls to come and commentate(?) but that people are actually glad to see it!

eaglesalltheway
06-16-2009, 03:05 PM
...when somebody goes and drives a franchise into the ground for nearly a decade, doesn't anybody else feel like he should just ******* disappear? this guy should have nothing to do with football. i'm amazed that he not only has the balls to come and commentate(?) but that people are actually glad to see it!

If he hadn't already proven he is valuable as a commentator, I'd agree with you, but he has proven to be a great commentator, and will be a big addition to any team (of commetators, not NFL teams, lol)

Brodeur
06-16-2009, 03:29 PM
You, sir, have problems.

You aren't a Lions fan, you don't understand.

Shahin
06-16-2009, 04:05 PM
If he hadn't already proven he is valuable as a commentator, I'd agree with you, but he has proven to be a great commentator, and will be a big addition to any team (of commetators, not NFL teams, lol)

fair enough...i just think the guy is a joke. if i were him i'd be embarrassed being seen anywhere football-related

TACKLE
06-16-2009, 04:17 PM
He was an excellent analyst back with Fox. So good that the Lions thought they should hire him as their President and GM. He was also very entertaining on America's Game and does provide an interesting perspective.

locseti
06-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Millen belongs in the broadcast booth, he's great at it.

LizardState
06-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Millen belongs in the broadcast booth, he's great at it.

If they don't shame him out of it in his 1st yr. I can't see other analysts giving him a pass on his GM performance, certainly not the fans.

Upside is that there is absolutely no danger of the Lions being on a Thursday night game. Millen is the most hated person in Michigan who isn't associated with the Big 3 automakers now, & he will never live it down as long as there is an NFL Detroit Lions franchise.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
06-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Millen talks a big game but he's doesn't back it up through his actions. Thats how he fooled Ford into hiring him. He can break down plays because he's a former player so as an analyst thats fine, but he should not comment on anything about how to build a team or anything regarding talent. Just breakdown the play for NFLN. His partner Bob Papa is a good play by play guy so it won't be too bad.

The ESPN gig shouldn't happen because his opinion means nothing there although during the season they don't discuss roster moves/talent evaluaton as much. You just comment based on how people are playing throughout the year and look at matchups/injuries/coaching decisions/historical trends. I believe anyone of us on here could do that as long as you are a good public speaker, hence the communications degrees by some of the "football experts". And yes he's not very hard working, hardly ever traveling to see players personally, living in PA taking a jet everywhere, not taking his time to hire coaches. Plus he's not a very intelligent man as displayed with the 3 WRs in a row techinque. It'll be fun to see other analysts rip him a new one though but I don't see him getting out of line or fired up about any topics..

CC.SD
06-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Thursday night football will now go 0-16.

Smokey Joe
06-16-2009, 07:34 PM
I thought he would be god awful last year, but after hearing him during the superbowl pregame stuff and such, he seemed like he was a good analyst. Also, wasn't he one of FOX's best commentators before he got the GM job?

Iamcanadian
06-17-2009, 01:38 AM

It was one thing to believe his insight when you thought he actually had a clue about the game but his jig as a GM in Detroit exposed him as a former player who has no real knowledge of the game. He couldn't tell a good player from a rotten one if his life depended on it so how is anyone going to believe anything that he says now.
We are talking about perhaps the worst GM in the history of football and you think he will be believable again in the booth. He knowledge turned out to be a complete fraud and there is no way we should be subject to this clown during a game.

CC.SD
06-17-2009, 02:08 AM
It was one thing to believe his insight when you thought he actually had a clue about the game but his jig as a GM in Detroit exposed him as a former player who has no real knowledge of the game. He couldn't tell a good player from a rotten one if his life depended on it so how is anyone going to believe anything that he says now.
We are talking about perhaps the worst GM in the history of football and you think he will be believable again in the booth. He knowledge turned out to be a complete fraud and there is no way we should be subject to this clown during a game.

I am inclined to agree here: whatever analysis or expertise he may have offered before that was so great and helpful, he has now been totally exposed. His reign as Lions GM was the most worthless, pathetic, and worst of all nonsensical tenure ever, and resulted in the Lions becoming the largest embarrassment in NFL history.

How are we supposed to listen to the insights of the person who created the 0-16 Lions? It is a flawed concept. It's like getting advice on cancer from a failed dental student with no teeth.

LizardState
06-17-2009, 11:24 AM
I thought he would be god awful last year, but after hearing him during the superbowl pregame stuff and such, he seemed like he was a good analyst. Also, wasn't he one of FOX's best commentators before he got the GM job?

Actually Millen's last announcer gig was doing NFL Europe games.