View Full Version : Donte Stallworth Gets 30 Days

bigbluedefense
06-17-2009, 05:58 AM
didn't see it posted yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4262751

discuss.

Manic Depressant
06-17-2009, 06:04 AM
And people say Vick didn't get locked up long enough...

American justice system = joke.

bigbluedefense
06-17-2009, 06:08 AM

i agree. if Stallworth doesn't get an equal punishment by Goodell, then in my eyes, Goodell's judgement on punishment is moreso based on media attention the crime gets opposed to the actual severity of the crime.

As for the justice system's punishment.....i strongly disagree with their agreement.

lordquas
06-17-2009, 06:25 AM
it just proves, money can buy freedom

Manic Depressant
06-17-2009, 06:28 AM
it just proves, money can buy freedom

No, it doesn't at all. This is a terrible argument. DUI cases like this frequently get a slap on the wrist. If anything, celebrity hurts these guys because it's in the media more and a light sentence provokes a response from the public whereas nobody even hears about most DUI cases.

BradysKnee
06-17-2009, 07:35 AM
To say the American Justice system is a joke as a Canadian is moronic. [I am a Canadian] We are no one to say anything negative about the American justice system, when ours is a revolving door of criminals.

Gay Ork Wang
06-17-2009, 07:43 AM
To say the American Justice system is a joke as a Canadian is moronic. [I am a Canadian] We are no one to say anything negative about the American justice system, when ours is a revolving door of criminals.
this argument is dumb. Just because your legal system is bad means you cant judge other systems? doesnt make sense to me. its not like he is responsible for it

Chucky
06-17-2009, 08:33 AM

The Canadian Legal system is so much better than the States. The Canadian legal system doesnt go on witch hunts ie. the Conrad Black Trials in the states.

cvv84
06-17-2009, 08:53 AM
30 days to go along with:

Stallworth must also undergo drug and alcohol testing, will have a lifetime driver's license suspension and must perform 1,000 hours of community service. Lyons said after five years, Stallworth could win approval for limited driving for reasons such as employment.

I've also heard that he'll be under house arrest for 2 years and will be on probation for 8 years so saying "30 days in jail" is a little misleading.

Gay Ork Wang
06-17-2009, 08:56 AM
A lifetime drivers license suspension is hard.

tjsunstein
06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
A lifetime drivers license suspension is hard.

Not as hard as you think, especially with the money he has. He can hire a personal chauffer. I think he's getting off easy in terms of jail time but it's not like he has all of his freedom when he gets out either.

Gay Ork Wang
06-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Not as hard as you think, especially with the money he has. He can hire a personal chauffer. I think he's getting off easy in terms of jail time but it's not like he has all of his freedom when he gets out either.
im taking a look from the perspective of a normal person. sure he could afford one, its still a harsh punishment. imagine you couldnt be able to drive anymore. Especially in the states that is a pretty bad punishment. obviously not enough to say: yea thats fine for killing someone. but still pretty hard

The Great Jonathan Vilma
06-17-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure people are getting all the details here, and may just be looking at the 30 days. There is considerably more that went into this than just the 30 days. There was a high level of agreement between Stallworth, the legal system, and the family of victim. The role the family took in this plays a huge part in the decision.

Comparing this to Vick is something that will be done, but there are a very high number of differences between these two specific situations that makes that very difficult and that people will not be able to fairly compare them (if that is even possible).

This isn't a USA legal system vs Canadian legal system debate....both leave something to be desired in many situations.

Brent
06-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Especially in the states that is a pretty bad punishment.
not really. in the majority of major cities, there is a public transportation system.

Borat
06-17-2009, 12:31 PM
This just reminds me of "Big Ern" at the end of the movie Kingpin. After he wins a million dollar bowling event, he's celebrating and yells, "Finally, I am above the law".

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/ozymandius1024/BigErn.jpg

FlyingElvis
06-17-2009, 12:42 PM
By taking responsibility, saying & doing the right things and cooperating with the police, Stallworth did a great job of getting a light sentence and positive resolution.

But let's not kid ourselves, if he didn't have millions to give the family it is very unlikely that they would have been so willing to "bring closure to this emotional and tragic event."

closure = $$$$

Saints 4 Lyfe
06-17-2009, 12:52 PM
the biggest thing here is that the family didn't want to pursue any more charges and accepted the plea deal.

Gay Ork Wang
06-17-2009, 01:06 PM
not really. in the majority of major cities, there is a public transportation system.
yea, in major cities

The Dynasty
06-17-2009, 01:25 PM
This is a joke..How does a man get 30 days and has to give up money to the victims family for killing someone by doing something so stupid. I don't want to compare him to Michael Vick because what he did was different and he knew what he was doing but he gets a year and a half in jail. I'm sorry but Donte Stallworth should have at least spent a year or 2 in jail for killing an innocent man for a stupid act. There is no reason for a person who makes over a millions of dollars to be driving while intoxicated. In the end the money he had to give to the victims family played a big role in this settlement.

Also according to Mike and Mike he is only going to have to spend 24 days in jail because of some 5 days off your jail time ever month you spend in jail. And the other day is the day he spent in jail before posting bail.

LonghornsLegend
06-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Getting your license revoked for the rest of your life is hardly a big deal for a millionaire, all that means is he'll just sit in the back of his Rolls Royce while his driver takes him everywhere, yea terrible life.

The sad thing about the whole legal system is if you can afford the best lawyer your going to get off, seems like every case is decided on how good your lawyer is.

If Donte Stallworth was a Wal-Mart employee going check to check, who needed a court appointed lawyer, probably gets 2 years on top of every other penalty and lots of fines.

I'm more concerned to see what Goodell hands down as a punishment for this.

cvv84
06-17-2009, 02:17 PM
This is a joke..How does a man get 30 days and has to give up money to the victims family for killing someone by doing something so stupid. I don't want to compare him to Michael Vick because what he did was different and he knew what he was doing but he gets a year and a half in jail. I'm sorry but Donte Stallworth should have at least spent a year or 2 in jail for killing an innocent man for a stupid act. There is no reason for a person who makes over a millions of dollars to be driving while intoxicated. In the end the money he had to give to the victims family played a big role in this settlement.

Also according to Mike and Mike he is only going to have to spend 24 days in jail because of some 5 days off your jail time ever month you spend in jail. And the other day is the day he spent in jail before posting bail.

Didn't the guy try to cross illegally? i.e. not via a cross walk. If he wasn't DUI then Stallworth would likely only have faced a civil case.

And its not like he'll have a driver by his side 24/7 at his disposal either. 2 years house arrest and 8 years probation is no small thing either. Its not just 24 days in jail and you're free.

CC.SD
06-17-2009, 02:30 PM
NFL player driving drunk, murders someone, no punishment? Par the course. Pathetic.

Prowler
06-17-2009, 03:00 PM
No, it doesn't at all. This is a terrible argument. DUI cases like this frequently get a slap on the wrist. If anything, celebrity hurts these guys because it's in the media more and a light sentence provokes a response from the public whereas nobody even hears about most DUI cases.

not when its dui manslaughter/murder in florida. so, yes it did buy freedom. average people lose their homes, jobs, and sit in jail a lot longer than 24 days.

BlindSite
06-17-2009, 04:17 PM
This isn't guy kills someone gets 30 days because he's got $$$$.

This is man driving over the legal limit hits man who was illegally crossing the road and now gets a 10 year punishment that will involve him going to jail for 30 days, being under house arrest for another 2 and not being able to drive at all for at least 5 years.

Besides which you've got to look at the purpose behind punishment.

1. Rehabilitation
2. Retribution
3. Deterrance

3. is a joke and always will be.

But for the other two, Stallworth isn't likely to commit this offense again since he's unable to drive and based on what you'd think another human being would go through would be so racked with guilt he probably won't drive again and sending him to prison for a long sentence in a supermax facility isn't going to rehabilitate him.

While I agree 30 days is nothing and anyone could do that standing on his head. There's more to this issue than him having money.

BRAVEHEART
06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Donte kills someone in a DUI crash
Vick participates in dog fighting and lied about it

American morals/values cn be stupid at times.

Manic Depressant
06-17-2009, 05:56 PM

This is man driving over the legal limit hits man who was illegally crossing the road and now gets a 10 year punishment that will involve him going to jail for 30 days, being under house arrest for another 2 and not being able to drive at all for at least 5 years.

1. Rehabilitation
2. Retribution
3. Deterrance

But for the other two, Stallworth isn't likely to commit this offense again since he's unable to drive and based on what you'd think another human being would go through would be so racked with guilt he probably won't drive again and sending him to prison for a long sentence in a supermax facility isn't going to rehabilitate him.

While I agree 30 days is nothing and anyone could do that standing on his head. There's more to this issue than him having money.

It's not about money but you're kidding yourself if you think this sentence makes any sense. It's not just Stallworth so it's not really fair to single him out, but DUI sentences have been a joke for a long time.

Remember Leonard Little? He killed that mother DUIing. He got a slap on the wrist. Guess what? A couple years later he got caught DUIing AGAIN. Who knows how many times he's got behind the wheel drunk. In Illinois (just the first statistic I could find, I'm sure it's similar in other states), 20% of DUIs are repeat offenders. Think about that.

EDIT: Actually, that's 20% number may be a bit low. Here's a fun graph:

http://ohioinsurance.org/factbook/2002/chapter3/images/ch3_d1.gifhttp://ohioinsurance.org/factbook/2002/chapter3/images/ch3_d2.gif

yourfavestoner
06-17-2009, 06:15 PM
By taking responsibility, saying & doing the right things and cooperating with the police, Stallworth did a great job of getting a light sentence and positive resolution.

But let's not kid ourselves, if he didn't have millions to give the family it is very unlikely that they would have been so willing to "bring closure to this emotional and tragic event."

closure = $$$$

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
06-17-2009, 06:33 PM
This is stupid. Morally proper or not, Vick's crime was pretty excusable short of the gambling. The dogs are not people, and they're technically his property, although obviously hurting them is wrong. But again, it's the money. Because of the gambling, Vick was hunted like, well, like a dog. Donte Stallworth killed a human being, a brother, a son, a friend(a husband and a father if these apply). But he gets what, 1/20th of the jailtime? B.S.

And oh, I see he can never legally drive again... well, if he was legally driving, this would have never happened. He'll be on the road again when his house arrest is over.

Borat
06-17-2009, 06:33 PM

Are you ******* stupid or something? Do you understand that Mike Vick was running an illegal gambling operation? It's not like he was just hanging out and occasionally having one dog fight another.

Manic Depressant
06-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Are you ******* stupid or something? Do you understand that Mike Vick was running an illegal gambling operation? It's not like he was just hanging out and occasionally having one dog fight another.

Illegal gambling operation deserves more time than ending another human being's life by committing an extremely dangerous act?

Borat
06-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Illegal gambling operation deserves more time than ending another human being's life by committing an extremely dangerous act?

Where did I say that?

Manic Depressant
06-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Where did I say that?

What was the point of responding to that post then? What point are you trying to make?

Borat
06-17-2009, 06:42 PM
What was the point of responding to that post then? What point are you trying to make?

The point is that Vick's crime wasn't lying about fighting dogs. It was much more than that. It's not too complicated to figure out.

But seriously, why are people surprised at Vick's punishment? Cracking a dog-fighting ring doesn't happen very often. And the justice system/punishment is going to be harsh. Unfortunately DUI is far too common and the punishments are far too lenient. Also, 2-time DUI losers should be shot on sight. ******* ridiculous.

Mr. Stiller
06-17-2009, 06:45 PM

here's the issue with the Vick=Stallworth Comparison.

Vick didn't serve 2 years for "Mistreatment of Puppies".

The majority of his sentence was built on Tax Evasion, High Bid Gambling, the media/Peta made it out to seem like the only thing he was being charged for is mistreatment of animals. Hardly the case.

Conspiracy Charges also were a huge part.

However, I don't think Vick was really fairly convicted either... Especially when comments like this are being made by a judge...

"You need to apologize to the millions of young people who looked up to you," Hudson said sternly, reminding Vick of the fans he singled out when he pleaded guilty in August.

Seems like the judge was more concerned about making an example of Vick.

Now DUI Hit's home with me. I don't know if anyone remembered me mentioning last summer about my sisters Accident. She was coming home from "Thunder in the Valley". As her and her boyfriend were pulling into their driveway a DUI Biker nailed them on their motorcycle doing about 60-70 MPH. His bike climbed up the side, ran over her leg, and she had a concussion and tremendous Whiplash from the force ejecting her off the bike and smashing her head on the pavement. Lucky she's fine.

However the guy received most of the damage, her bf was merely shook up.

We found out later that this was indeed his 6th DUI in the past 10 years, not to mention his 2nd DUI Wreck.

We were supposed to get a phone call from the courthouse, for a victim impact statement. My mom called about once a day asking when they were needed.

Eventually we found out after his sentencing that they decided they didn't need one for punishing. In fact, as it turns out, most victims of DUI Injuries never receive that phone call to give their testimony.

it took her 4-6 months for the swelling to go away and multiple surgeries.

That said.

He came out after 6 dui's in 10 years... including this being his second wreck.

4 months house arrest and a 2 year suspension of his drivers license.. Which OH btw, was suspended at the time of the accident.

So, I'm sorry, I have to agree. I don't care what "Law System" you're used to, the American System doesn't seem to care about lives ruined by DUI's.

CC.SD
06-17-2009, 06:45 PM
The point is that Vick's crime wasn't lying about fighting dogs. It was much more than that. It's not too complicated to figure out.

But seriously, why are people surprised at Vick's punishment? Cracking a dog-fighting ring doesn't happen very often. And the justice system/punishment is going to be harsh. Unfortunately DUI is far too common and the punishments are far too lenient. Also, 2-time DUI losers should be shot on sight. ******* ridiculous.

Vick should definitely have gone to jail, but it is impossible to compare gambling/animal cruelty related crimes with anything that results in a dead human, especially DUI. imo.

Borat
06-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Vick should definitely have gone to jail, but it is impossible to compare gambling/animal cruelty related crimes with anything that results in a dead human, especially DUI. imo.

Again, where did I compare the two? Are you guys reading these posts?

CC.SD
06-17-2009, 06:53 PM

I was just saying in general.

Borat
06-17-2009, 06:55 PM
I was just saying in general.

OK then. I agree. :)

Manic Depressant
06-17-2009, 06:56 PM

Where did the guy you quoted say anything about Vick not running an illegal gambling operation? If you can't see why your post is being "misinterpreted", it is you who is the "******* idiot" as you so nicely put it.

You're kidding yourself if you think the gambling aspect is why Vick is behind bars anyway. If he was betting on NCAA brackets (like millions of Americans do, illegally), do you think he would even be on the Feds radar? It's always been about the dogs and the politics attached to them.

Borat
06-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Where did the guy you quoted say anything about Vick not running an illegal gambling operation? If you can't see why your post is being "misinterpreted", it is you who is the "******* idiot" as you so nicely put it.

You're kidding yourself if you think the gambling aspect is why Vick is behind bars anyway. If he was betting on NCAA brackets (like millions of Americans do, illegally), do you think he would even be on the Feds radar? It's always been about the dogs and the politics attached to them.

Actually, I said "******* stupid" but you were close.

And yes, his post said "Vick participates in dog fighting and lied about it". I really can't help you if you don't think the gambling aspects weren't the most important issue to the government. Because that is most definitely the key issue. The gambling and all the related issues that come with it, such as tax evasion, are issues that the government is going to punish severely.

And you're not seriously comparing running a dogfighting operation and NCAA basketball pools, are you? That's even worse than the original post I commented on.

Mr. Stiller
06-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Actually, I said "******* stupid" but you were close.

And yes, his post said "Vick participates in dog fighting and lied about it". I really can't help you if you don't think the gambling aspects weren't the most important issue to the government. Because that is most definitely the key issue. The gambling and all the related issues that come with it, such as tax evasion, are issues that the government is going to punish severely.

And you're not seriously comparing running a dogfighting operation and NCAA basketball pools, are you? That's even worse than the original post I commented on.

Conspiracy, Illegal Gambling (Not small money either) and Tax evasion were the main reasons Vick spent time behind bars.

Like I said, it was more of a media and shame issue to mention the inhumane nature of which he treated the animals.

The fact of the matter is, they're 2 seperate cases in which the 2 things people are trying to compare (Time Spent for "Killing Animals" Vs. "Human Life") Are a far cry different.

Also, There's an Human victim here with a family. The Family mentioned they just want the ordeal over and that they're content.

I'm not trying to stick up for the guy because I think anyone willing to risk injury to themselves or someone else because of Drinking should be stabbed repeatedly. The truth is as well, the guy crossing the street was also in the wrong. He just walked out in the middle of traffic. He didn't look, he just walked out, outside of the crosswalk. Now, again, I'm not pleading Stallworth's case here, But I know that Sober I've almost hit idiots just walking without giving a **** to oncoming traffic.

Hines
06-17-2009, 07:41 PM
I guarentee that if Stallworth was just the average joe, he would be spending the rest of his life in jail. This is so pathetic.

Manic Depressant
06-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Conspiracy, Illegal Gambling (Not small money either) and Tax evasion were the main reasons Vick spent time behind bars.

Like I said, it was more of a media and shame issue to mention the inhumane nature of which he treated the animals.

Vick was never charged with anything related to tax evasion. You realize the whole dogfighting thing never had to do with money. It was entertainment for them. It was their hangout. Vick financed it all. This was not a profitable operation and it wasn't meant to be. It was a bunch of thugs hanging out, gambling with Vick's money, doing drugs, wheeling women, etc. It was a hotbed of criminal activity. The went RICO on his because that was the best was to bring him down.

Gay Ork Wang
06-17-2009, 07:59 PM
i kinda agree with Blindsite here. The Legal system is about Rehabilitation and well if he cant drive ever again, there wont be any DUIs.

Now if he does however get caught driving or even DUI, i think he should get a very very harsh sentence

Smokey Joe
06-17-2009, 09:32 PM

1. Rehabilitation
2. Retribution
3. Deterrance

I was about to write out a long post, but you nailed it pretty much on the head.

You would have liked to seen at least 1 year in jail, but this is good for both sides. The family got this whole ordeal out of the way and got probably a really good financial settlement. Stallworth seems genuinely remorseful, has a long road ahead of him, and hopefully more good than bad comes out of this in the end.

Smokey Joe
06-17-2009, 09:35 PM
I guarentee that if Stallworth was just the average joe, he would be spending the rest of his life in jail. This is so pathetic.
Probably not. Depending on how much over you were and the quality of your lawyer, you could probably argue that even if you weren't drunk, because the victim was crossing illegally, the accident was unavoidable.

They'd probably get a lot more jail time, but Stallworth can do a lot of other things average joe's can't. He can donate more money, be a bigger voice in the fight against drunk driving, etc.

Lets face it, this guy is nothing compared to that scum who killed Adenhart and the 2 or 3 other people. That guy was way over the limit, has had several prior's, and fled the scene, and now is pleading not guilty. That guy would serve life whether he had millions of dollars or not.

BlindSite
06-18-2009, 04:27 AM
It's not about money but you're kidding yourself if you think this sentence makes any sense. It's not just Stallworth so it's not really fair to single him out, but DUI sentences have been a joke for a long time.

Remember Leonard Little? He killed that mother DUIing. He got a slap on the wrist. Guess what? A couple years later he got caught DUIing AGAIN. Who knows how many times he's got behind the wheel drunk. In Illinois (just the first statistic I could find, I'm sure it's similar in other states), 20% of DUIs are repeat offenders. Think about that.

EDIT: Actually, that's 20% number may be a bit low. Here's a fun graph:

http://ohioinsurance.org/factbook/2002/chapter3/images/ch3_d1.gifhttp://ohioinsurance.org/factbook/2002/chapter3/images/ch3_d2.gif

To play devil's advocate, why doesn't this sentence make sense?

Sending him to prison for a bunch of years is only going to cost the tax payer a fortune and increase his likelihood of committing another crime.

This way he's kept out of trouble, he serves a debt to society, the family receives what they agreed was a fair settlement and the tax payer doesn't have to fork out more money for a prisoner that doesn't need to be in prison.

Do you think having Stallworth forced to talk to young people about the dangers of alcohol would be a better way to serve society than sticking him in a cell for 2 years?

BRAVEHEART
06-18-2009, 04:50 AM

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/86198-1/YouMad.jpg

Borat
06-18-2009, 02:20 PM
http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/86198-1/YouMad.jpg

Hahaha. No, I'm not mad. It just gets frustrating when people think that Vick's legal issues stem from merely having dogs fight.

mqtirishfan
06-18-2009, 04:06 PM

The average joe only lives to the age of 43?

BRAVEHEART
06-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Hahaha. No, I'm not mad. It just gets frustrating when people think that Vick's legal issues stem from merely having dogs fight.

It's either you're reading too into my post, or not reading it at all.

awfullyquiet
06-18-2009, 09:18 PM
stallworth still should get more than 30 days.

i'm glad vick will be in the league well before stallworth will be.

Gay Ork Wang
06-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Stallworth is suspended indefinitely by the NFL

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810e3c13&template=without-video&confirm=true

datchapin
06-19-2009, 05:47 PM

Drunk or not the guy that died walked out onto the street illegally as well. You don't know how drunk he was because a dui can be different than a DWI. Drunk or not he may or may not have been able to avoid an INDIVIDUAL who illegally went into the street. You act as if Stallworth jumped the curb and struck down a completely innocent bystandard.

Donte handled the situation greatly, considering the situation I'm not saying he should be commended for doing what he was supposed to do, but to act like this guy purposefully took a life is just ignorant.

You say this guy got off easy cuz he has money, he didn't have to offer that much to the victims family, he didn't have to submit to a breathalizer. He probably could have beat the rap with good enough lawyers, but the fact that he didn't attempt to do so shows he has some morals. So please don't degrade the man because you want to make a point about Vick.

Prowler
06-19-2009, 09:36 PM
actually he's an entitled brat son of a hall of famer who got drunk, saw a person hurrying and about to illegally cross the street, who then flashed his lights at him instead of slowing down. because you know what, he's donte stallworth and if someone wants to be dumb enough to walk infront of him then it's not his fault.

then he actually hits him, gets brought back to earth. feels remorse and now wishes that he would have slowed the **** down and maybe have used better judgement behind the wheel.

Saints-Tigers
06-20-2009, 02:06 AM
actually he's an entitled brat son of a hall of famer who got drunk, saw a person hurrying and about to illegally cross the street, who then flashed his lights at him instead of slowing down. because you know what, he's donte stallworth and if someone wants to be dumb enough to walk infront of him then it's not his fault.

then he actually hits him, gets brought back to earth. feels remorse and now wishes that he would have slowed the **** down and maybe have used better judgement behind the wheel.

Donte' Stallworth isn't related to John Stallworth as far as I know...

Actually it was more like this, from a credible source, a scout that writes for another site:

Not to defend Stallworth too much, but had he not been barely over the legal limit he would not have been charged in the accident at all. The victim jumped over a concrete median some 300 yards from a crosswalk. Stallworth was going under the speed limit driving directly into the rising sun, slammed on his breaks and swerved to try to avoid him. I've heard from a Browns beat writer that the family was very quick to settle in part because the guy was likely drunk himself and they don't want his name sullied. Can't say if that's true or not but that is making the rounds in the Cleveland media.

And he should get minimum 8 games suspended. I suspect he'll get 8 or 10 games from the Commish. Pair that with his inevitable minor hamstring pull that sidelines him for 4 games every year and he won't be playing.

Prowler
06-20-2009, 12:21 PM
i just checked, they actually aren't related. which is stupid since i clearly remember watching an eagles game where the commentator said that they were.

NotRickJames
06-24-2009, 02:45 AM
Here's my little issue with the US Justice system. If you kill somebody while driving under the influence, the sentance is usually pretty heavy (unless you're a notable person). However, if you have a DUI but don't kill someone, then it's a slap on the wrist. That's silly. Either way, you're still putting people's lives at risk. In one case, you were just fortunate enough not to have killed a man in the process.

Needless to say (or so I would hope), this sentance is sad. But, in all honesty, I'm not surprised it was this light.

BlindSite
06-24-2009, 02:52 AM
Here's my little issue with the US Justice system. If you kill somebody while driving under the influence, the sentance is usually pretty heavy (unless you're a notable person). However, if you have a DUI but don't kill someone, then it's a slap on the wrist. That's silly. Either way, you're still putting people's lives at risk. In one case, you were just fortunate enough not to have killed a man in the process.

Needless to say (or so I would hope), this sentance is sad. But, in all honesty, I'm not surprised it was this light.

You punish people for what they have done, not what they had the potential to do.