PDA

View Full Version : Favre reaches contractual agreement with Minnesota

Pages : [1] 2

TitleTown088
06-23-2009, 07:39 PM
http://wcco.com/vikings/brett.favre.vikings.2.1057007.html

Barring some unforeseen major physical setback, Brett Favre will be at training camp in Mankato when they open up the end of July, a source has told WCCO's Mark Rosen.

That source said that Favre and the Vikings have indeed come to a contractual agreement, with heavy incentives. The Vikings equipment manager has already ordered number 4 purple jerseys with his name on it.

Ruins my good news from the Jennings extension.

GB12
06-23-2009, 07:46 PM
The Vikings equipment manager has already ordered number 4 purple jerseys with his name on it.
So he's only going to play in home games?

Smokey Joe
06-23-2009, 07:55 PM
So he's only going to play in home games?
His arm might fall off if he has to play outdoors in the cold again, probably...

In slightly unrelated news, isn't the HHH metrodome gonna be used only by the Vikings next year (actually in two years considering the baseball and football seasons over lap)? Twins are getting their new stadium in 2010, and aren't the Gophers building a new stadium?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
06-23-2009, 08:00 PM
**** the Golden GAYles

TitleTown088
06-23-2009, 08:00 PM
His arm might fall off if he has to play outdoors in the cold again, probably...

In slightly unrelated news, isn't the HHH metrodome gonna be used only by the Vikings next year (actually in two years considering the baseball and football seasons over lap)? Twins are getting their new stadium in 2010, and aren't the Gophers building a new stadium?
Yes burly bear.

PalmerToCJ
06-23-2009, 09:01 PM
He is never going to go away. Poor Packer fans.

Malaka
06-23-2009, 09:08 PM
God damn Brett Favre... I wouldn't have a freaking problem with him if he just made up his mind, if he wanted to play and the Packers didn't want him... fine go to a new team, but seriously he has gotten on my last nerve, make up your damn mind.

http://bigeastsux.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/farve-moposter.jpg

cvv84
06-23-2009, 09:20 PM
He is never going to go away. Poor Packer fans.

Poor Packers fans? Why would we care what he does? I'd much rather have Rodgers at this point in Favre's career and honestly I think Favre will be more of a hindrance to the Vikings than help. They're still going to be the same team that runs the ball and stops the run. They still have a weak pass defense and now they added a QB that threw more INTs last year than the all the Vikings QBs. In fact that would be the last 2 years that he's done that. The only thing thats going to suck is the overblown overhyped coverage that ESPN is going to spit out twice a year.

The_Dude
06-23-2009, 09:40 PM
I do agree that the worst part of this (i hope) will be the over analysis/coverage of Lord Favre. Tiger Woods will be playing in a PGA tournament here in MN at the end of July, but there will be no local coverage because they will all be in Mankato.

I can't help but laugh at all of the "sour grapes" comments from Packer fans on this board and the ones that i know in the "real world".

For the record... i was/am on the Packers' side of the the debacle of last year. The hemming & hawing/Favre's dire need for attention is the one thing that i have always hated about him.

p.s. My wife wanted me to add that she is in complete agreement with all that i have said....

senormysterioso
06-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Peyton Manning has got to be pissed...he's never going to be able to gain any ground on his records. Manning might retire before Favre at this rate!

brat316
06-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I hope Sage "The Helicopter" Rosenfels beats him in TC.

The Dynasty
06-23-2009, 10:16 PM
I sort of wish John David Booty will refuse to give up #4.

Well if this is true I guess its the best move for the Organization.

the decider13
06-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I sort of wish John David Booty will refuse to give up #4.

Well if this is true I guess its the best move for the Organization.

I would just charge Favre a crazy amount of money. Sure he can have number 4...for $400,000. Seems fair.

brat316
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
I would just charge Favre a crazy amount of money. Sure he can have number 4...for $400,000. Seems fair.

NO....give me your salary for this year. Now thats fair. He doesn't even need the money. After that lawn mower commercial he did.

Smokey Joe
06-23-2009, 10:52 PM
John David Booty won't be with the Vikings much longer, so it shouldn't matter.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
06-23-2009, 10:58 PM
I do agree that the worst part of this (i hope) will be the over analysis/coverage of Lord Favre. Tiger Woods will be playing in a PGA tournament here in MN at the end of July, but there will be no local coverage because they will all be in Mankato.

I can't help but laugh at all of the "sour grapes" comments from Packer fans on this board and the ones that i know in the "real world".

For the record... i was/am on the Packers' side of the the debacle of last year. The hemming & hawing/Favre's dire need for attention is the one thing that i have always hated about him.

p.s. My wife wanted me to add that she is in complete agreement with all that i have said....

Tell her to register and post pics ;)

The Dynasty
06-23-2009, 10:59 PM

I dont know..I sort of expect Sage or TJ to get the pink slip. Tarvaris is a FA next year so it would make sense to cut him but I rather see him on the bench than sage.

umphrey
06-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Good, the Vikings won't be any better with him. He already burnt all his bridges here anyway. Only pissed off because this means more of ESPNs "Favre Watch" this year and next and maybe next...

CC.SD
06-24-2009, 01:03 AM
Yessss

Haters gotta hate but I have loved this move for literally years now. Go Favre! Go Minny!

holt_bruce81
06-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Who ****** cares. I'm sick of the Brett Favre drama. He'll throw 20 TDs and 20 INTs next year. Who gives a ****.

regoob2
06-24-2009, 01:56 AM
What? But but he's the future....

NotRickJames
06-24-2009, 02:40 AM
The NFC North should be happy, as the Vikings are much worse off with Favre at the helm than with T-Jack.

BlindSite
06-24-2009, 02:54 AM
I tend to disagree and agree, long term they're far worse off than trying to get things to click for Jackson, but if I had to choose one or the other for one game, I'm going to go with Favre.

The way I see it, right now they're both turn over prone, force too many mistakes and will likely lose you a game with their ineptitude, but favre just has that x factor (god I hate that term) which you can't plan for.

TitleTown088
06-24-2009, 04:10 AM
The NFC North should be happy, as the Vikings are much worse off with Favre at the helm than with T-Jack. Now that's hilarious.

MetSox17
06-24-2009, 05:15 AM
The NFC North should be happy, as the Vikings are much worse off with Favre at the helm than with T-Jack.

You must not watch a whole lot of football, kid. Anyone that thinks that the Vikings were better off with anyone else on the roster playing quarterback should really check themselves. It's one thing to hate on the guy (and believe me, i despise Favre), but he can still play at a somewhat decent level. Sure as hell a lot better than anything the Vikes could throw out there. I'm really seeing big things for Minnesota should Favre stay healthy, and this really is their last shot because the team is getting old really fast.

Ness
06-24-2009, 05:16 AM
Poor Packers fans? Why would we care what he does? I'd much rather have Rodgers at this point in Favre's career and honestly I think Favre will be more of a hindrance to the Vikings than help. They're still going to be the same team that runs the ball and stops the run. They still have a weak pass defense and now they added a QB that threw more INTs last year than the all the Vikings QBs. In fact that would be the last 2 years that he's done that. The only thing thats going to suck is the overblown overhyped coverage that ESPN is going to spit out twice a year.

Well at this point in time, on paper that is, Favre is a better option than Sage Rosenfels, Tarvaris Jackson, and Gus Frerotte. And Favre will be in a system that he is actually comfortable with.

NY+Giants=NYG
06-24-2009, 07:22 AM
He is a football player which I hate the most. Talk about Tiki Barber going hollywood, damn, Brett's success really has gone to his head. He must have really been offended when the Packers wanted to go in another direction.

" You can't let me go! Do you know who I am? I am Brett Farve! I am a legend! I retire on my own terms!"

wogitalia
06-24-2009, 08:37 AM
I completely feel how Shockey above me does. I can't stand the guy. Vikings are seriously testing my loyalty.

If Favre doesn't win a superbowl this was an awful signing. That is all that can redeem this, we just signed the biggest dickhead in NFL history...

cvv84
06-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Well at this point in time, on paper that is, Favre is a better option than Sage Rosenfels, Tarvaris Jackson, and Gus Frerotte. And Favre will be in a system that he is actually comfortable with.

I agree Favre is the best option for them but I don't think he's going to be the difference maker for them. The Jets ran a very simular offense to the Packers last year as well.

TitleTown088
06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
we just signed the biggest dickhead in NFL history...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqe2GSKpzro
Yeah, there aren't any bigger than that.

You can call Brett Favre a prima donna, diva, or whatever but he really dosen't come off as much of a dickhead.

stephenson86
06-24-2009, 11:37 AM
I agree Favre is the best option for them but I don't think he's going to be the difference maker for them. The Jets ran a very simular offense to the Packers last year as well.

yeh but that system didnt have AD in it :D

Beans
06-24-2009, 11:39 AM
uuugggghhh

TitleTown088
06-24-2009, 11:40 AM

yeh, but this new system he'll be playing in has a bald idiot running it. :)

Smokey Joe
06-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Wow, what's with all the hate? I naturally hate Brett Favre, but damn, some people seem to be out to get him for really no reason. So what if he comes out of retirement time and time again. Is it a dickhead move? Probably, but why not play if you can still play better than a lot of your counterparts.

Also, if it wasn't for Favre, this offseason would have been boring as hell because there is nothing to talk about.

Everyone in football should love this even if you are for or against him. To me, he is the guy you love to hate, I want the Bears to beat up on him for as long as possible. And if you like him, well, you should love watching him play.

I don't get why Viking fans hate this so much. I'll take a 40 year old Favre with a healthy shoulder over Tavaris Jackson, Sage Rosenfels, Gus Frerrotte, or JDB any day of the week. Plus, considering they'll be playing in the dome for half of his games and perhaps the playoffs, Favre should be able to handle it easily, as it seems like the cold weather really affects him at this point in his career.

Borat
06-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Brett Favre's final season ... for the third time. Great.

The_Dude
06-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Agreed. The retirement/unretirement thing has been driving me nuts for the last few years.

The hate from the Vikings fans confuses me. He gives us the best option at QB to win now... hands down.

The hate from the Packers fans is amusing as hell. I just received a scathing email from one of my co-workers about Favre being a "traitor". i had to remind him that last year at this time he was referring to him as "Lord Favre"... talk about fair weather fandom (if that's a word). ;)

cvv84
06-24-2009, 12:32 PM

No but its not like Thomas Jones was some sloutch last year either.

stephenson86
06-24-2009, 01:14 PM
yeh, but this new system he'll be playing in has a bald idiot running it. :)

as oppose to the fat idiot who was in NY lol

Shahin
06-24-2009, 01:23 PM
i hate this guy.

Dr. Gonzo
06-24-2009, 04:12 PM
I am very happy about this signing. News of Packers fans offing themselves is sure to follow soon.

Smooth Criminal
06-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Brett Favre is a waste of time. I can't wait until he retires for real and we never have to hear his name again.

TitleTown088
06-24-2009, 05:58 PM
I am very happy about this signing. News of Packers fans offing themselves is sure to follow soon.

Dude the Packers are going to embarrass favre and the Vikings on MNF. And I bought tickets to see it happen. :)

The_Dude
06-24-2009, 07:11 PM
I chose those tickets from my father-in-law's season tickets months ago.

We sit in section 132, row 5... right behind the visitor's bench. It will be great fun to be surrounded by booing Packers fans.

That game is going to RULE!!!!

CC.SD
06-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Dude the Packers are going to embarrass favre and the Vikings on MNF. And I bought tickets to see it happen. :)

I still wouldn't bet against Brett on Monday, will be intense though.

Through all this I still have to wonder what the hell the Pack owed Aaron Rodgers and why they wouldn't beg and plead Favre to play for them forever. He is a once in a lifetime player and I still contend they pushed him out the door the first time he officially "retired".

TimD
06-24-2009, 08:03 PM
poor rosen-copter

Brodeur
06-24-2009, 08:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqe2GSKpzro
Yeah, there aren't any bigger than that.

You can call Brett Favre a prima donna, diva, or whatever but he really dosen't come off as much of a dickhead.

Narcissist is the word that fits best.

TitleTown088
06-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Through all this I still have to wonder what the hell the Pack owed Aaron Rodgers and why they wouldn't beg and plead Favre to play for them forever. He is a once in a lifetime player and I still contend they pushed him out the door the first time he officially "retired".

It looks like the right move was made in retrospect.

Narcissist is the word that fits best.

Better than the word that fits the Lions QB position over the past decade... Failure. :)

Brothgar
06-24-2009, 09:04 PM
It looks like the right move was made in retrospect.

Better than the word that fits the Lions QB position over the past decade... Failure. :)

JOHN KITNA WASN'T A FAILURE!!! He was healed by jeasus!!!

Brodeur
06-24-2009, 09:07 PM

You wish you had Stoney Case.

NotRickJames
06-24-2009, 09:21 PM
You must not watch a whole lot of football, kid. Anyone that thinks that the Vikings were better off with anyone else on the roster playing quarterback should really check themselves. It's one thing to hate on the guy (and believe me, i despise Favre), but he can still play at a somewhat decent level. Sure as hell a lot better than anything the Vikes could throw out there. I'm really seeing big things for Minnesota should Favre stay healthy, and this really is their last shot because the team is getting old really fast.

Even though Tarvaris had a significantly better TD/INT ratio last year, Favre is still better? Even though T-Jack brings an aspect to his game (scrambling ability) to his game that Favre doesn't, Favre is still better? Even though Favre has had a recent surgery on his elbow and hasn't practiced with a team yet during this off-season, he's still better than T-Jack?

But my main worry as a Viking fan would be this: How does having Favre as your quarterback affect the amount of carries Peterson gets? Everyone knows that Favre loves to throw the football, and I have a feeling that the Vikings would decrease the carries they give to Peterson so Favre has a shot at reaching 22 interceptions this coming year again.

7-11
06-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Annnd ESPN just went into meltdown...

vikes_28
06-24-2009, 09:58 PM
**** the vikings. **** Brett Favre. **** Brad Childress.

The_Dude
06-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Even though Tarvaris had a significantly better TD/INT ratio last year, Favre is still better? Even though T-Jack brings an aspect to his game (scrambling ability) to his game that Favre doesn't, Favre is still better? Even though Favre has had a recent surgery on his elbow and hasn't practiced with a team yet during this off-season, he's still better than T-Jack?

But my main worry as a Viking fan would be this: How does having Favre as your quarterback affect the amount of carries Peterson gets? Everyone knows that Favre loves to throw the football, and I have a feeling that the Vikings would decrease the carries they give to Peterson so Favre has a shot at reaching 22 interceptions this coming year again.

That would probably be my biggest concern. Favre has a tendency to free-lance while we are predominantly a run-first team. If he can stick to the gameplan and only throw in the neighborhood of 25 times per game all should be well.

I am not a Vikings fan who believes that Favre will definitely take us to the Super Bowl (our porous pass defense and moron of a Head Coach are the greatest liabilities) he gives us a MUCH better chance to make a strong playoff run.

edit: Again, i don't understand the Vikings fans' hatred of this idea (like vikes_29 above).... most people pissed and moaned that RosenFAILs was Chilly's "answer" at QB this year. Now we will get a sure HoF QB who can still game and they are still bitching? I seriously don't get it!!!!!

vikes_28
06-24-2009, 10:06 PM
He's going to break his leg. Then he'll be sorry that he came out of retirement.

Brothgar
06-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Annnd ESPN just went into meltdown...

Meltdown??? More like...

http://i41.tinypic.com/noyphh.jpg

MidwayMonster31
06-24-2009, 10:23 PM
The saga continues...
Favre is definitely an upgrade from Jackson and Rosenfels. That said, I expect him to start fast, and the Vikings will still blow it somehow.

The Dynasty
06-24-2009, 10:27 PM
**** the vikings. **** Brett Favre. **** Brad Childress.

Oh come on man. I mean every Viking fan on here hates Brett Favre with a passion for the years he played in Green Bay but He is the best option we had and we all know it. Tarvaris and Sage do not have the ability to lead us to the Super Bowl like Favre. I rather see good QB play for a year and have a true chance of winning in the playoffs if we get in than watch questionable QB play if we get in to the playoffs and most likely lose just like last year because of poor/below average QB play. All I want to see if the Vikings to succeed. One player does not make a championship team. Just like someone said earlier on the forum, This is the best move for the team and for the business side of the organization.

Stash
06-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Nice move for the Vikes, their fans should be happy. Much better than Sage/Tarvaris.

yodabear
06-24-2009, 10:44 PM
So vikes29, if Favre leads u to a super bowl will u still be telling ur own team to **** themselves? I think not. I think its a good move. I think TJack and Rosenfels make the Vikes playoff contenders. A healthy Favre makes them Super Bowl contenders.

holt_bruce81
06-24-2009, 11:06 PM
So vikes29, if Favre leads u to a super bowl will u still be telling ur own team to **** themselves? I think not. I think its a good move. I think TJack and Rosenfels make the Vikes playoff contenders. A healthy Favre makes them Super Bowl contenders.

I think at this stage in his career. Favre is no better than what the Vikes already have. Favre will start out firing, espn will jerk it everytime he throws a Touchdown pass and then as the season goes on he'll get more and more exhausted. Vikes will make the Playoffs but won't get by the 1st round because Favre's Arm feels like jello.

And we'll be back in the same spot next year.

wogitalia
06-25-2009, 03:00 AM
Again, i don't understand the Vikings fans' hatred of this idea (like vikes_29 above).... most people pissed and moaned that RosenFAILs was Chilly's "answer" at QB this year. Now we will get a sure HoF QB who can still game and they are still bitching? I seriously don't get it!!!!!

I think it is true he is our "best" option. Doesn't mean he is a good option so to speak, just better than the awful that we have. Plus, I stand by the guy being a complete dickhead, I don't think there is any better term for how he has acted for the last 5 or so years and I never liked him to begin with.

Basically for me, this is a great move if it works but I will pretty much hate it until it works, I have very little respect for Favre as a human, I don't like him, I don't like him in purple but if it all works out I will be very happy. A lot like Tracy McGrady with Orlando, I didn't like him at all, but he made the team better while he was there and the only reason I was sad to part with him was getting Francis back in exchange.

So I have enough time for this move as long as we win a superbowl, as far as I'm concerned, anything less and it is a failure and a waste of my time, I wont be cheering for Favre, in fact I would be quite satisfied if he was to get hurt, it is pretty much what he deserves for his self honouring behaviour but I will certainly admit that even as "average" as he was last year, that is an upgrade over what we have.

Shane P. Hallam
06-25-2009, 03:02 AM
I also think his impact in the running game is HIGHLY overlooked. Wherever he does, RBs have career years. He has the arm, and teams cannot stack the box...ever. And with Adrian Peterson? Hot damn.

Bengalsrocket
06-25-2009, 04:11 AM

Favre has a better deep ball (yes, even last year's weak, wobbly, less-than-stellar deep ball) and that forces defense to respect that. I've watch Jackson throw since he came out of college and I don't remember ever seeing a good deep ball from him.

As far as AD goes, I would pray every night that Favre takes at least 5 carries off AD per a game. Do you really want to work the best back in the league into the ground?

Obviously there is a risk of Favre losing the game for you when you could just grind it out as well, and while Childress is one of the few coaches I can trust to make that kind of mistake, I think the Vikings will be scoring much more this year which will make it harder to lose a lead.

wogitalia
06-25-2009, 05:36 AM
Obviously there is a risk of Favre losing the game for you when you could just grind it out as well, and while Childress is one of the few coaches I can trust to make that kind of mistake, I think the Vikings will be scoring much more this year which will make it harder to lose a lead.

Childress will find a way. He is kind of special in that regard.

Whistler6
06-25-2009, 06:34 AM
The Favre/Packers split cannot be describe as an "ugly divorce" ...Better stated, it is a divorce where Favre not only gets booted and leaves his ex, but he is now hooking up with his wife's best friend, video taping it, mailing it back to his ex-wife for spite

...OH and not paying his child support or visiting the kids on the weekends.

Bigburt63
06-25-2009, 08:43 AM
I also think his impact in the running game is HIGHLY overlooked. Wherever he does, RBs have career years. He has the arm, and teams cannot stack the box...ever. And with Adrian Peterson? Hot damn.

Beat me to it. Even if Favre's arm is tired by the playoffs come, they should (theoretically) have a much more fresh Peterson come playoff time. At the very least, he should face much less fronts with the box stacked with defenders.

CC.SD
06-25-2009, 01:50 PM
The Favre/Packers split cannot be describe as an "ugly divorce" ...Better stated, it is a divorce where Favre not only gets booted and leaves his ex, but he is now hooking up with his wife's best friend, video taping it, mailing it back to his ex-wife for spite

...OH and not paying his child support or visiting the kids on the weekends.

and he took the dog. And sometimes he come home, uses their stove, and accidentally leaves it on when he leaves, causing a serious hazard.

Vikes99ej
06-25-2009, 02:14 PM
I like this move.

NotRickJames
06-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Favre has a better deep ball (yes, even last year's weak, wobbly, less-than-stellar deep ball) and that forces defense to respect that. I've watch Jackson throw since he came out of college and I don't remember ever seeing a good deep ball from him.

As far as AD goes, I would pray every night that Favre takes at least 5 carries off AD per a game. Do you really want to work the best back in the league into the ground?

AD doesn't need Favre to take off five or more carries a game. Chester Taylor can do that just as well. He isn't that much worse than AD, and could start at back for many other teams in the league.

At least T-Jack showed improvement last year. The Vikings knew he was going to be a project, but had a lot of talent to promise. Favre was mediocre at best last year and he's had a surgery since then, and also has yet to work with an NFL team this off-season.

yo123
06-27-2009, 11:04 PM
I like this move.

Yessir. Although 50% of it is the pissing off of Packer fans.

I see no legitimate argument for not liking this move as a Viking fan. Who cares if he played for the enemy? This is a business and he gives us the best chance to win. No one is forcing you to like him.

yo123
06-27-2009, 11:07 PM
AD doesn't need Favre to take off five or more carries a game. Chester Taylor can do that just as well. He isn't that much worse than AD, and could start at back for many other teams in the league.

At least T-Jack showed improvement last year. The Vikings knew he was going to be a project, but had a lot of talent to promise. Favre was mediocre at best last year and he's had a surgery since then, and also has yet to work with an NFL team this off-season.

Chester Taylor isn't that much worse than AD? I love Chester and all but wow...that's pushing it.

TitleTown088
06-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Imagine if Randy had ended up with the Packers and Brett with the Vikings... weird.

the decider13
06-27-2009, 11:56 PM

Taylor could start on lots NFL teams sure, but he can't hold AD's jock strap. It's not even close. And I like Chester Taylor.

Bucs_Rule
06-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Taylor averaged 1 less yac than Peterson and Peterson was the short-yardage back.

Taylor is good, Peterson is amazing. Not even close.

BlindSite
06-28-2009, 05:46 PM
They're a good tandem, but Minnesota will come to games where Peterson doesn't make massive yardage or he's dinged up, or the defense is just that good and it's up to favre to win games, I don't know how he'll go.

Jvig43
06-29-2009, 03:31 PM
I wish Minnesota would of just tried getting Jay cutler.

Brent
06-29-2009, 03:48 PM
He's got a good running game, and a really good o-line to help him out. As long as he gets his arm in better shape than last year, I dont see why he isn't an improvement over the QBs they had. He may diminish in physical skills, but the mental side is likely still there.

That said, I've never liked the guy, so I wouldn't mind seeing him get lit up by one of our LBs on September 27th.

Vikes99ej
06-29-2009, 03:55 PM

Me toooo :(

yo123
06-29-2009, 04:05 PM

A little too much sense involved in that.

The Dynasty
06-29-2009, 04:16 PM
A little too much sense involved in that.

Well the vikings did go after Jay Cutler..Someone in the Coaching Staff questioned him and Now he is a Chicago Bear...Woo Minnesota.

wogitalia
06-29-2009, 11:21 PM
and a really good o-line to help him out

That's not true, not even close anymore. He has a rookie RT, with questions over his pass pro, what is basically a rookie C, a RG that is the definition of average, an elite LG and a LT who can't pass protect. The line should be good on run plays, but may not be without the leader, but it's hard to see it improving by losing Birk and adding Loadholt, especially on pass plays where Loadholt may not even be an upgrade on what we had and McKinnie is still on the left to be abused.

yo123
06-30-2009, 12:18 AM
That's not true, not even close anymore. He has a rookie RT, with questions over his pass pro, what is basically a rookie C, a RG that is the definition of average, an elite LG and a LT who can't pass protect. The line should be good on run plays, but may not be without the leader, but it's hard to see it improving by losing Birk and adding Loadholt, especially on pass plays where Loadholt may not even be an upgrade on what we had and McKinnie is still on the left to be abused.

This man speaks the truth, our line has been overrated for quite a while now. McKinnie isn't even a speed bump in front of a good pass rusher. Also I think it's pretty likely Loadholdt gets abused in pass protection in his rookie year, at least early.

PoopSandwich
06-30-2009, 01:41 AM
i wonder if john madden is gonna come out of retirement now.

TitleTown088
07-23-2009, 12:49 PM
ESPN's Ed Werder reports that free agent Brett Favre is now "conflicted" about whether he truly wants to return to the NFL.

Werder says Favre got calls from Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson, and Adrian Peterson saying they're sure they'd make the Super Bowl with him at QB. If not for the players' efforts, Favre "might have already decided against playing." Money is reportedly no issue, as the sides have a one-year, $10 million agreement in place, but Favre remains uncertain he can make it through a full season. He's never missed a game in his life to this point.
Stay retired.

Gay Ork Wang
07-23-2009, 12:55 PM
stay retired.

trkaline
07-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Maddens gonna come back to be a Vikings Commentator...or atleast a Favre Commentator.

"Now heres a guy who retires..unretires..retires...he just loves the game..and he uh throws the ball because thats uh how you get passing yards...uh oh uh FOOTBALL!!!GO FAVRE!!!"

NY+Giants=NYG
07-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Stay retired.

God I hate him so much! What a drama queen! Play if you want to play, if not stay retired, and fade away!

jballa838
07-23-2009, 01:23 PM
I would laugh so hard if he stays retired and TJax just went off this year and the Vikings won the superbowl. So hard.

TitleTown088
07-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I would laugh so hard if he stays retired and TJax just went off this year and the Vikings won the superbowl. So hard.
Like this? Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahah.

CC.SD
07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
He's not conflicted, he's probably just pissed there's not more hype. Come on Brett, time to giddyup.

Gay Ork Wang
07-23-2009, 01:55 PM
no. id laugh if he started, then gets benched for TJax and then Tjax went of and would win a superbowl

TitleTown088
07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Well save your laughs. Travaris Jackson's jump throws aren't leading any team to a super bowl.

Gay Ork Wang
07-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Well save your laughs. Travaris Jackson's jump throws aren't leading any team to a super bowl.
okay JDB then

Brent
07-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Wait, they are calling him to come back, after saying that were supporting Tavaris a few weeks ago? Imagine that.

TitleTown088
07-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Wait, they are calling him to come back, after saying that were supporting Tavaris a few weeks ago? Imagine that.

Brent Favre? Is that you?

http://www.sconnie.com/scaled_jpg.php?src=images/products/positions/2/137.jpg&x=300

awfullyquiet
07-23-2009, 04:54 PM
i didn't get it until i started to photo shop it to say forgive...

yodabear
07-23-2009, 04:55 PM
He is coming back.

Brent
07-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Brent Favre? Is that you?

http://www.sconnie.com/scaled_jpg.php?src=images/products/positions/2/137.jpg&x=300
Haha, that shirt is ******* great.

BlindSite
07-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Favre's brain must be well and truly scrambled. This is turning sad.

TitleTown088
07-24-2009, 01:18 AM
img wont' work.. well

http://media.jsonline.com/images/341*400/favremoon.jpg

Crickett
07-24-2009, 02:06 AM

Unfortunately, the Jets didn't have much in the way of wide receivers like the Packers do. Glad they went out of their way to do something about that this offseason.

Wait.

Darn. :(

Wow, what's with all the hate? I naturally hate Brett Favre, but damn, some people seem to be out to get him for really no reason. So what if he comes out of retirement time and time again. Is it a dickhead move? Probably, but why not play if you can still play better than a lot of your counterparts.

Also, if it wasn't for Favre, this offseason would have been boring as hell because there is nothing to talk about.

Everyone in football should love this even if you are for or against him. To me, he is the guy you love to hate, I want the Bears to beat up on him for as long as possible. And if you like him, well, you should love watching him play.

I think its because he's retired and un-retired more than every boxer who has ever lived combined. I'm disappointed, because I really have to wonder as a Jets fan if this whole thing was premeditated, way back to the 2008 off season to get to the Vikings.

Either way, I'm getting a Revis jersey to replace my Favre one.

The_Dude
07-24-2009, 11:56 AM
As a Vikings homer, Favre would easily be our best option and help us get deep into the playoffs. But right now Favre needs to **** or get off the pot. Either give us hope of the playoffs/Superbowl or give us hope that the team will bomb with Rosenfails and Chilly will get ****-canned.

TitleTown088
07-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Sk7lFGuW7_s

An oldie, but a goodie.

ChezPower4
07-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Saw on ESPN today that Favre wants more time to make his decision.

TitleTown088
07-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Favre update coming on nfl.com and NFL Network. And it's not going to make some people very happy."

http://twitter.com/hansonscott

Here it comes??? PLease stay retired ya old scmuck.

ChezPower4
07-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Favre update coming on nfl.com and NFL Network. And it's not going to make some people very happy."

http://twitter.com/hansonscott

Here it comes??? PLease stay retired ya old scmuck.

I hope that's what he does.

TitleTown088
07-28-2009, 03:54 PM
I hope that's what he does.

Apparently you won't know for a bit...

Favre Watch possibly extended: A source tells me Brad Childress has given Favre no deadline to make his decision

TitleTown088
07-28-2009, 04:02 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=3077

He's staying retired according to this!. Hopefully its true.

get ready for ESPN implosion in 5,4,3...

marshallb
07-28-2009, 04:05 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=3077

He's staying retired according to this!. Hopefully its true.

I was just about to post this.

TitleTown088
07-28-2009, 04:07 PM
New thread time.

cvv84
08-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Favre has boarded a plane heading for Minnesota. Man this guy just can't go away...

ESPN is reporting that the Vikings will sign Favre TODAY.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Favre has boarded a plane heading for Minnesota. Man this guy just can't go away...

ESPN is reporting that the Vikings will sign Favre TODAY.

God how I hate him!

BeerBaron
08-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Siggggggghhhhhhhhhh.......

Division Title for Da Bears ;)

Gay Ork Wang
08-18-2009, 10:10 AM
could we just stop posting about him until he actually plays?

tjsunstein
08-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Not seeing a link on ESPN.com. I hope he comes back. Favorite athlete of all time.

cvv84
08-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Not seeing a link on ESPN.com. I hope he comes back. Favorite athlete of all time.

They reported it live. I'm watching it right now.

Lance Allan at WTMJ-TV is reporting Brett Favre is on Zygi Wilf's plane bound for St. Paul airport

http://wcco.com/vikings/brett.favre.minnesota.2.1133319.html

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/18/report-favre-is-expected-to-sign-with-vikings-today/

sweetness34
I guess the thing I don't like is the "I'm staying retired...no wait I wanna come back...I can without a doubt say this is my last game in the NFL...no wait I still wanna come back...Nope I don't wanna play for Minnesota this year....well, I just wanted to avoid Training Camp and am going to sign with the Vikings today."

tjsunstein
could we just stop posting about him until he actually plays?

Wait, you came into this thread with the title clearly devoted to strictly Brett Favre to ask that we stop posting about him? Um, what? Don't click on the thread?

WMD
Cliff Avril is gonna destroy Brett Favre.

Giantsfan1080
No suprises here.

drowe
08-18-2009, 10:16 AM
christ. the turd that won't flush strkes again.

guess this is what happens when ya don't get a good tittyfuck for 5 years.

cvv84
08-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Cris Carter is ripping him a new one right now lol

Splat
08-18-2009, 10:21 AM
And to think he was once my favorite (non chief) player if he wants to play then by all means play but dam **** or get off the pot.:(

T-RICH49
08-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Brett Favre will not retire in my lifetime I'm guessing

The_Dude
08-18-2009, 10:26 AM
This is all that they have talked about on ESPN for the last 20 minutes... incredible.

I was all for the Favre signing this off season until it became apparent that he didn't want to come for any OTAs or training camp. Now i am conflicted... he will make the Vikings better, but i hate that they will be giving in to this attention *****.

All i know is that the Mon Night game against the Packers will be that much more fun to go to. I sit right behind the visitor's bench and am usually surrounded by Packer fans at the Packer games.

The best part about this it that i get to tease my Packer fan co-workers... they have been in denial about this happening.

The Unseen
08-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Cris Carter is piiiiiiissed. He's accusing the Vikings of treating the backup QBs like trash, essentially.

Gay Ork Wang
08-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Wait, you came into this thread with the title clearly devoted to strictly Brett Favre to ask that we stop posting about him? Um, what? Don't click on the thread?
yes. It was mildly entertaining in the beginning, but just to see one of these threads bumped up again and again just to be a rumor or something that didnt happen is annoying. Let him make up his mind and then continue. The whole "maybe he is playing, maybe not" is incredibly annoying

Splat
08-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Cris Carter wants to kick #4 in the balls.

Borat
08-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Brett Favre has a vagina. I'm sure of it. No man would ever change his mind this much.

The Unseen
08-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Brad Childress is the worst coach in the history of sports.

bigbluedefense
08-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Congrats Chilly. You get Favre. But at what costs? You've lost all credibility with your players.

It's SB or bust for the Vikings, bc Chilly's job is on the line if he doesn't win it all or at least go to the Conference Championship.

tjsunstein
08-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Are they treating the backup Qb's like trash or putting the team in the best position to win? I'll go with option B. Putting the team in the best position to win. It's a business. If they want to be treated like they're the best thing ever then they should head over to this new league called the UFL, where JP Losman is a god. Otherwise, the backups should man up and prove their worth. Cris Carter has his head so far up his own ass right now for defending these now backups because essentially he's defending the way they have played. If their play warrants them a starting spot in the NFL then something is terribly wrong.

Even if he is taking jabs at Childress, Brad knows what is at stake here. A bad year with Tavaris and Sage and he's gone but a better chance at winning with Favre make sense for him.

And if he's taking shots at Favre - Favre got what he wanted. You can't blame him for skipping OTAs and training camp at his age. I'm positive he can learn the playbook by the time the season comes. You really can't blame Favre here, mainly the Vikings front office for giving in.

Nalej
08-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I hate Brett Favre

Sniper
08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Congrats Chilly. You get Favre. But at what costs? You've lost all credibility with your players.

It's SB or bust for the Vikings, bc Chilly's job is on the line if he doesn't win it all or at least go to the Conference Championship.

I really don't know how much this improves the Vikings. An interception machine in a ball-control offense probably isn't a good idea.

bigbluedefense
08-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Are they treating the backup Qb's like trash or putting the team in the best position to win? I'll go with option B. Putting the team in the best position to win. It's a business. If they want to be treated like they're the best thing ever then they should head over to this new league called the UFL, where JP Losman is a god. Otherwise, the backups should man up and prove their worth. Cris Carter has his head so far up his own ass right now for defending these now backups because essentially he's defending the way they have played. If their play warrants them a starting spot in the NFL then something is terribly wrong.

Its not about that. Players want coaches to give it to them straight. Don't say we're no longer seeking Brett Favre, then go after Brett Favre. He loses credibility with his team. How can a player believe him now if he says "your job is safe" or "we'll work on your contract" etc when he flat out lied to them? All players ask for is honesty. They know its a business. But they don't like snakes. They want honesty.

Don Vito
I hate this guy. He needs to go the **** away.

bigbluedefense
I really don't know how much this improves the Vikings. An interception machine in a ball-control offense probably isn't a good idea.

I don't think it will help them much. I still got the Bears winning the division.

JRTPlaya21
08-18-2009, 10:39 AM
For the love of God go away Favre.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-18-2009, 10:39 AM

LOL. Now that's funny!

cvv84
08-18-2009, 10:40 AM

I agree with what you said, but Carter also criticized Favre for wanting/getting special treatment such as sitting out training camp and joining when 3 weeks to the start of the season.

Also Childress and Wilf said that they closed the door on Favre. Now they go out and sign him? Who can you trust in that organization??

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=3100

cvv84
08-18-2009, 10:40 AM
For the love of God go away Favre.

Kind of a contradiction there ;)

Sniper
08-18-2009, 10:41 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/18/report-favre-to-get-12-million-for-one-year/

$12 million...Honestly, I can't really blame the guy. If someone wanted to pay me $12 million to be mediocre at my job, I'd do it.

Brothgar
08-18-2009, 10:42 AM
HOOORRAAAHHHHH!!! BRETT FAVRE IS BACK!!!

I'm so happy. I can't think of the league without him. I mean I don't think he's that big of an attention ***** as much as he doesn't want to go through training camp.

The_Dude
08-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Oh, Favre will help the Vikings a lot (yes that is a homer comment, but true). I would take him over TJack & Rosenfails any day.

This also takes away the small amount (if any) of credibility that the Little General had. He said in an interview with Chris Mortenson that he wouldn't want Favre if he didn't come to training camp... now he's probably peeing in his pants waiting for that plane to land.

Favre played the Vikings front office and got exactly what he wanted out of this.... missing out on training camp & an entire hour of ESPN devoted just to him (plus much more to come).

Sniper
08-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Oh, Favre will help the Vikings a lot (yes that is a homer comment, but true).

How so? By chucking 20 picks?

tjsunstein
08-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Its not about that. Players want coaches to give it to them straight. Don't say we're no longer seeking Brett Favre, then go after Brett Favre. He loses credibility with his team. How can a player believe him now if he says "your job is safe" or "we'll work on your contract" etc when he flat out lied to them? All players ask for is honesty. They know its a business. But they don't like snakes. They want honesty.

I didn't watch ESPN and still haven't. All the information I have gotten on this has been through here about what Carter was ranting about. Childress is a snake but imagine if he did tell the players that they were still targeting Favre throughout training camp. What kind of practices would you have? Certainly not motivated ones from the QBs because they had to know by then that no matter what they did; it wouldn't slow the pursuit for Favre. Now Favre comes in and you have to believe there will be a new wave of confidence in Minnesota. I don't agree with what Childress did but I see the reasoning.

I agree with what you said, but Carter also criticized Favre for wanting/getting special treatment such as sitting out training camp and joining when 3 weeks to the start of the season.

Also Childress and Wilf said that they closed the door on Favre. Now they go out and sign him? Who can you trust in that organization??

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=3100

Special treatment was a given. Like we haven't seen that the last three years? Please. The guy is a legend. For him not to get special treatment from a team that is so desperate for his services would be out of the ordinary at this point.

tjsunstein
08-18-2009, 10:51 AM
How so? By chucking 20 picks?

By providing that threat to actually hit the recievers. Something that they lacked.

scottyboy
08-18-2009, 10:54 AM
most importantly, what's his rating gonna be in madden?

S T R I N G
08-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Ballsy move to say the least. It's going to come down whether he's healthy or not. I think it's a given he would be more productive than Jackson or Rosenfels, assuming he is healthy.

Even last year he looked good until he hurt his shoulder. Vikings have the talent to make a run so you can't really fault them for this move but if it does blow up in their faces there's going to be a regime change.

JRTPlaya21
08-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Haha scotty I hear it may be in the 84 range.

YAYareaRB
08-18-2009, 11:07 AM

They kinda have that with or without Favre.

fischbowl
08-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Can we honestly say we didn't see this coming?

Jughead10
08-18-2009, 11:20 AM
They kinda have that with or without Favre.

Agreed. This definitely helps the Vikings in my opinion, because it doesn't take much to be an upgrade over Jackson or Rosenfels. However that upgrade clearly isn't worth 10-12 million dollars. And Favre has a potential to influence the way the offense is run, and that can only be a negative. If Favre just goes in there and does as he's told, it could work out.

yodabear
08-18-2009, 11:21 AM
FAVRE IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!! I love him.

Mr.Regular
08-18-2009, 11:23 AM
he's went from hero to punchline.

yodabear
08-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Another reason I love Favre and get chummies thinking about him....

He is coming back.

Yodachu at 4:55 pm CST on July 23rd.....

I said the same sort of thing after he said he was staying retired. So, in conclusion,

BRETT FAVRE MAKES ME LOOK LIKE A GENIUS.

703SKINS202
08-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Not a shocker. Why is all the media acting like a rotator cuff injury is no big deal.

no bare feet
08-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Now I can drop Sage Rosenfels from my fantasy team!

scottyboy
08-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Not a shocker. Why is all the media acting like a rotator cuff injury is no big deal.

yea because shoulder surgery on a guy who's job involves throwing doesn't mean anything at all, especially when he's like a million years old.

JLaw45
08-18-2009, 11:35 AM
OMFG.

I thought it was over after he left the Jets. I said to myself in the offseason "Ok, we'll just have to endure this last offseason of constant coverage and then he'll go peacefully". Then it was announced he wasn't coming back. All was well in my world, and I could turn on NFL Network without the dreaded "Favre Watch" staring back at me.

Now, not only must I endure constant Favre watch all season, but this offseason will entail YET ANOTHER "is he retiring or isn't he" circus, with constant coverage and speculation.
I had respect for you, Brett, I really did. But you're pissing me off now.

Vikes99ej
08-18-2009, 11:36 AM
I like this move. Please dump Tarvaris now.

GB12
08-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Cris Carter is piiiiiiissed. He's accusing the Vikings of treating the backup QBs like trash, essentially.
They are being treated like trash, but to be fair they are trash.

JLaw45
08-18-2009, 11:41 AM
They are being treated like trash, but to be fair they are trash.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. They're dedicated professional athletes who deserve a measure of respect in any case. I'm sure they all understand that this is a business and thus their job security is at risk at all times. But some trust is necessary.

The Vikings administration and the coaches spent much of this offseason denying Favre claims, and later saying that the whole circus was over and it would be the Sage, Booty, and Jackson show all year. Now they go back on that and here is Favre again.

It may be a business, but like in all for-profit enterprises a measure of trust and understanding between the leaders and the subordinates is invaluable. The more you have, the better off your business. I think they threw a lot of it away today.

CC.SD
08-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Yessss I knew it. Excellent.

btw boo hoo Carter...they are treating the backups like trash because they ARE trash. except Booty.

The_Dude
08-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Per PFT. I bolded the hilarious part:

Childress confirms it, Cook almost does
Posted by Mike Florio on August 18, 2009 12:15 PM ET
As the news of Brett Favre's impending arrival in Minnesota continues to sink in, the indications that he'll soon be wearing a purple helmet with two-dimensional horns keep getting stronger and stronger.

According to the Associated Press, Vikings coach Brad Childress has confirmed via e-mail that Favre is traveling to Minnesota to meet with the team.

Meanwhile, agent Bus Cook -- who a day ago feigned ignorance of a potential Favre/Vikings marriage -- tells Calvin Watkins of FanHouse that a deal is "close."

The saddest comment on the current state of Favre's recent history? Our first thought after reading the two accounts was that there's still room for Favre to leave Childress standing at the altar in his Major Dad dress blues.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/nerickson_photo/major_dad.jpg

NY+Giants=NYG
08-18-2009, 11:43 AM
In other news...

John Madden will un-retire and become the play by play guy for the Vikings this season! : P

CC.SD
08-18-2009, 11:44 AM
BREAKING NEWS Favre retires.

princefielder28
I don't think that's a fair assessment. They're dedicated professional athletes who deserve a measure of respect in any case. I'm sure they all understand that this is a business and thus their job security is at risk at all times. But some trust is necessary.

The Vikings administration and the coaches spent much of this offseason denying Favre claims, and later saying that the whole circus was over and it would be the Sage, Booty, and Jackson show all year. Now they go back on that and here is Favre again.

It may be a business, but like in all for-profit enterprises a measure of trust and understanding between the leaders and the subordinates is invaluable. The more you have, the better off your business. I think they threw a lot of it away today.

The Vikings' coaching staff and management may not have jobs much longer if the team fails to make the playoffs so they have to take all the chances. Their chances of winning can not be any lower with Favre at QB and from a business side, it's a brilliant choice.

wicket
well here is to the the vikings going 0-16 which wont happen. Seriously Favre needs to learn to stand by his decision.

wicket
08-18-2009, 11:46 AM
BREAKING NEWS Favre retires.

Breaking news Favre reunreretires

Vikes99ej
08-18-2009, 11:47 AM

Yes, but more importantly, they are a better football team. I've given up any thought that integrity is an actual concept in professional sports. It's always been all about winning.

vidae
This is a joke.

I was a huge fan of his for such a long time and now I'm just annoyed. Look at the bright side though, at least we get to go through the will he or won't he retirement crap next offseason too. Bonus!

PACKmanN
lol, the only reason Favre was good for the Packers was because MM told him to improve his decision making on his passes. I doubt anyone on the Vikings will have the balls to make Favre do anything, that will cost them games.

Borat
08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
If ESPN had a schlong, it would be fapping uncontrollably right now.

YAYareaRB
08-18-2009, 11:49 AM
I auto selected in the SWDC fantasy football draft and got Favre.. Too bad he's gonna have to hand the ball off to God more times than he throws.

JLaw45
08-18-2009, 11:49 AM
The Vikings' coaching staff and management may not have jobs much longer if the team fails to make the playoffs so they have to take all the chances. Their chances of winning can not be any lower with Favre at QB and from a business side, it's a brilliant choice.

Yes, but more importantly, they are a better football team. I've given up any thought that integrity is an actual concept in professional sports. It's always been all about winning.

Valid points. Part of me is still hoping it comes to bite them in the rear later on, though. This circus is ridiculous.

703SKINS202
08-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Nothing against Vikings fans, but I really hope he doesn't pass the physical. Watch the hilarity ensue.

Vikes99ej
08-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Nothing against Vikings fans, but I really hope he doesn't pass the physical. Watch the hilarity ensue.

Nothing against Redskins fans, but I really hope Jason Campbell starts at quarterback this season.

Just playing :)

JFLO
08-18-2009, 11:56 AM
After thinking about it for a little bit, I think this season would have been a waste of a year at the quarterback position in the first place, so I'm really not that pessimistic on this agreement between Favre and the Vikings.

Obviously, he is a better solution to the problem at the position than Rosenfels and T-Jack, not to mention the fact that the addition of both Favre and Harvin will keep eight man fronts from AD.

Oh well, I'm just glad he signed and this media blitz tyranny is finally almost over...

cvv84
08-18-2009, 11:58 AM
After thinking about it for a little bit, I think this season would have been a waste of a year at the quarterback position in the first place, so I'm really not that pessimistic on this agreement between Favre and the Vikings.

Obviously, he is a better solution to the problem at the position than Rosenfels and T-Jack, not to mention the fact that the addition of both Favre and Harvin will keep eight man fronts from AD.

Oh well, I'm just glad he signed and this media blitz tyranny is finally almost over...

If only that were true.

princefielder28
08-18-2009, 11:59 AM
If only there were true.

haha, so true

the media frenzy is just starting up again

PACKmanN
08-18-2009, 12:00 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090818/PKR01/90818059/1058

10-20 million, WOW!

princefielder28
08-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Adam Schefter said it's a TWO year deal

bigbluedefense
08-18-2009, 12:03 PM
I hope the Packers just completely stomp out the Vikings when they play each other this year.

That would be so sweet. And sorry Vikings fans, its nothing against you, its just I can't root for Brett Favre.

703SKINS202
08-18-2009, 12:03 PM
haha, so true

the media frenzy is just starting up again
Not only do we have to endure another season but let's not forget the worst part, the offseason. There's nothing espn loves better than Favre nonsense especially during the summer when all there really is is baseball.

Smooth Criminal
08-18-2009, 12:04 PM
2 year deal pisses me off. Means were gonna have to deal with it next year.

cvv84
08-18-2009, 12:04 PM
I hope the Packers just completely stomp out the Vikings when they play each other this year.

That would be so sweet. And sorry Vikings fans, its nothing against you, its just I can't root for Brett Favre.

So far Nick Barnett and Aaron Kampman have been the only ones to comment on playing Favre.

Nick Barnett: "After all those years of not being able to hit him, do I want to hit him? Of course I want to hit him."

Aaron Kampman: "The red jersey will be off."

cvv84
08-18-2009, 12:06 PM

Sounds like its a 1 year $12 million deal with an option for a 2nd year. Most likely a team option.

bigbluedefense
08-18-2009, 12:06 PM
So far Nick Barnett and Aaron Kampman have been the only ones to comment on playing Favre.

Nick Barnett: "After all those years of not being able to hit him, do I want to hit him? Of course I want to hit him."

i love hearing that from defensive players. an old school blue collar defender hates quarterbacks.

thats what i like in my defenders. that attitude.

703SKINS202
08-18-2009, 12:07 PM
We will have to deal with him pretty much until he is dead. Then he will tell God he wants to come back to life 4-5 times and we still wont be done.

cvv84
08-18-2009, 12:10 PM
WOW, this video of Favre landing in Minnesota looka like an Al Qaeda scouting video.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s1090682.shtml?v=1

PACKmanN
08-18-2009, 12:11 PM
i love hearing that from defensive players. an old school blue collar defender hates quarterbacks.

thats what i like in my defenders. that attitude.

I think that attitude is coming from what Favre put Rodgers, the team, and organization through. I can't wait to see Favre get hit over and over again.

yo123
08-18-2009, 12:12 PM
lol, the only reason Favre was good for the Packers was because MM told him to improve his decision making on his passes. I doubt anyone on the Vikings will have the balls to make Favre do anything, that will cost them games.

No, the only reason that Favre was good for the Packers was because he was a good QB. I love that Packers fans are acting like they don't care. :)

The people who are saying this isn't a good move just make no sense, I'm sorry. If you don't think he's a big upgrade over Rosenfels and T-Jack I don't know what to tell you other than you're wrong.

Dr. Gonzo
08-18-2009, 12:15 PM
http://www.metromilwaukeetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/favre_vikings.jpg

cvv84
08-18-2009, 12:18 PM
No, the only reason that Favre was good for the Packers was because he was a good QB. I love that Packers fans are acting like they don't care. :)

The people who are saying this isn't a good move just make no sense, I'm sorry. If you don't think he's a big upgrade over Rosenfels and T-Jack I don't know what to tell you other than you're wrong.

Actually we change up our offense and started to run alot more slant routes. Those are high completion percentage passes which requires a quick release, arm strength, and ball placement. Favre didn't nearly throw nearly as many deep balls as he did in previous years. The WRs are the key as their YAC is what moves the chains. Its also why Rodgers was so statistically successful in his 1st season as a starter.

And I don't think anyone is denying that Favre is still a better QB than Jackson and Rosenfels. Personally I just don't see Favre being the difference maker though. Run the ball and stopping the run will still be the Vikings main focus.

yo123
08-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Actually we change up our offense and started to run alot more slant routes. Those are high completion percentage passes which requires a quick release, arm strength, and ball placement. Favre didn't nearly throw nearly as many deep balls as he did in previous years. The WRs are the key as their YAC is what moves the chains. Its also why Rodgers was so statistically successful in his 1st season as a starter.

And I don't think anyone is denying that Favre is still a better QB than Jackson and Rosenfels. Personally I just don't see Favre being the difference maker though. Run the ball and stopping the run will still be the Vikings main focus.

We run the WCO, pretty much exactly what you just described.

PACKmanN
08-18-2009, 12:19 PM

lol, because you know more about the Packers then i do, MM told him to improve his passes and you could find it all over the web...and no he isn't a upgrade, what would he do? Peterson is already a beast in the running game so removing defenders from the box isnt needed, and he will not change his habbits of throwing into double coverage. Not only that, but I would take the Packers wideouts over who ever the Vikings have at this time.

Dr. Gonzo
08-18-2009, 12:20 PM
lol, because you know more about the Packers then i do, MM told him to improve his passes and you could find it all over the web...and no he isn't a upgrade, what would he do? Peterson is already a beast in the running game so removing defenders from the box isnt needed, and he will not change his habbits of throwing into double coverage. Not only that, but I would take the Packers wideouts over who ever the Vikings have at this time.

Harvin > Packers

MidwayMonster31
08-18-2009, 12:20 PM
It never ends. Favre better win the team over after Childress stabbed both of his quarterbacks in the back. Favre has Adrian Peterson, but as long as he fades in the second half, that's good news for the rest of the division.

yo123
08-18-2009, 12:21 PM

Sage Rosenfels is as good as Brett Favre? Lolz just stop.

This day is everything I hoped for and so much more.

PACKmanN
08-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Sage Rosenfels is as good as Brett Favre? Lolz just stop.

This day is everything I hoped for and so much more.

I will sig bet any Vikings fan that by the bye week, the entire Vikings fan base will want him benched.

Dr. Gonzo
08-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I will sig bet any Vikings fan that by the bye week, the entire Vikings fan base will want him benched.

I'm game for that.

The Dynasty
08-18-2009, 12:39 PM
I can't stand Favre. But yes he is the best option for the Minnesota Vikings. So it will suck to root for him but If he can come and help us win games then I'm all for him.

yourfavestoner
08-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Harvin > Packers

/endthread

Sniper
08-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Harvin < Woodson

Fixed for accuracy.

KCJ58
08-18-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm sooooo happy now cant wait for the MIN/GB games this year, man I love football so much this just add to the excitement for this season

scottyboy
08-18-2009, 01:01 PM
so when I went to Green Bay 2 or 3 years ago, I saw this commercial on the Jumbotron for bergstrom auto with Brett Favre as the spokesperson, it ended in...

"So easy, a Vikings fan could do it!"

IRONY!

tjsunstein
08-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Now I can drop Sage Rosenfels from my fantasy team!

Should've never been on it

Most badass quote by Kampman, ever.

I absolutely do care that he signed. I loved Brett as a player and I still do, even with Minnesota. I hope he gets torched when Green Bay plays them, though. The other 14 games of the year, I wish Favre the best. I'm not gonna hate the guy for signing with Minnesota. In all honesty, who wouldn't sign a 10+ million dollar deal at the age of 39? Even Johnny Damon signed with the Yankees. I think we can all agree that Favre's situation is the most unique of all the players that have signed with their ex-foes.

drowe
08-18-2009, 01:04 PM
so when I went to Green Bay 2 or 3 years ago, I saw this commercial on the Jumbotron for bergstrom auto with Brett Favre as the spokesperson, it ended in...

"So easy, a Vikings fan could do it!"

IRONY!

yes! i remember that commercial! that needs to be replayed all across the midwest for the next month..non-stop. NOTHING like bashing your fanbase!

cvv84
08-18-2009, 01:11 PM

I deemed it sig worthy. Especially coming from someone who goes about his business so quietly like Kampman does.

Splat
08-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Cris Carter says Favre will start Friday night (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/18/cris-carter-says-favre-will-start-friday-night/)

How does he know?

yo123
08-18-2009, 01:16 PM

I'll gladly take that bet. It's Sage fricken Rosenfels. Or Brett Favre.

I find it funny that everyone assumes we'll be getting the Favre from the last 4 games of last year instead of the one who threw 20 TD's in the first 12 games and had an MVP type season the year before.

Primetime21
Cris Carter says Favre will start Friday night (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/18/cris-carter-says-favre-will-start-friday-night/)

How does he know?

He is just assuming that since he has had so much experience in the WCO that he will start immediately. Wait did you think ESPN had journalism integrity?

cvv84

How does he know?

Carter must know Favre's momma pretty well.

Meanwhile, Favre's own mother, Bonita, confirmed he will take a few reps in the game.

Splat
08-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Bernard Pollard will end his come back Friday.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/Splat420/31_bernard_pollard.jpg

The_Dude
08-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Should've never been on it

I absolutely do care that he signed. I loved Brett as a player and I still do, even with Minnesota. I hope he gets torched when Green Bay plays them, though. The other 14 games of the year, I wish Favre the best. I'm not gonna hate the guy for signing with Minnesota. In all honesty, who wouldn't sign a 10+ million dollar deal at the age of 39? Even Johnny Damon signed with the Yankees. I think we can all agree that Favre's situation is the most unique of all the players that have signed with their ex-foes.

You, sir are the best Packer fan on this board. All of this anti-Favre talk from the Packer faithful is hilarious..... 2 years ago it was "Lord Favre" and now he is a horrible QB because he no longer plays for the cheese-heads.

Is he as good as he was in his heyday? No. Is he a horrible QB? No. Is he an upgrade for the Vikes? Absolutely.

My only problem with this is the fact that he dicked us around the whole offseason (as he did with the Packers for the last few years), and that Chilly siad that we would not sign him if he didn't come for training camp. The "culture of accountability" is now completely gone from this administration.

Look at my new sig.... Thanks for letting me wear your throw-aways, Vikes99ej!

The Dynasty
08-18-2009, 01:35 PM
According to the Minnesota Vikings Twitter page. He is now official. He signed his contract a couple of minutes ago.

http://twitter.com/VikingsFootball/status/3387449782

cvv84
08-18-2009, 01:35 PM
According to the Minnesota Vikings Twitter page. He is now official. He signed his contract a couple of minutes ago.

http://twitter.com/VikingsFootball/status/3387449782

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/vikings-sign-brett-favre/b52a742d-ebfd-4eff-807b-ba1d8acef18c

They just announced it too.

tjsunstein
08-18-2009, 01:41 PM
You, sir are the best Packer fan on this board. All of this anti-Favre talk from the Packer faithful is hilarious..... 2 years ago it was "Lord Favre" and now he is a horrible QB because he no longer plays for the cheese-heads.

Let's not forget, people.

Favre played 16 seasons in Green Bay, leading the Packers to seven division championships, four NFC Championship games, two Super Bowl appearances and one Super Bowl victory. During that time he was named the NFLís MVP for three consecutive seasons from 1995-97.

He's still Lord Favre.

The_Dude
08-18-2009, 01:44 PM
He's still Lord Favre.

Not according to many, many of your Packer brethren.

p.s. ~ i like how you only quoted the part where i called you the best packer fan on these boards. ;)

Saints 4 Lyfe
08-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Brett will need a major injury to make him retire. im losing respect for him not staying retired.

princefielder28
08-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Let's not forget, people.

Favre played 16 seasons in Green Bay, leading the Packers to seven division championships, four NFC Championship games, two Super Bowl appearances and one Super Bowl victory. During that time he was named the NFLís MVP for three consecutive seasons from 1995-97.

He's still Lord Favre.

Another thing to remember, he was a free agent. After last season the Packers decided to move on without him and he no longer had any obligation to the organization. He wants to play, he wants to win, he wants to stick it straight up TT's ass and Minnesota provides the opportunity better than anyone.

Ness
08-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Brett will need a major injury to make him retire. im losing respect for him not staying retired.

I wouldn't mind him playing. I just would wish he could make up his mind.

tjsunstein
08-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Not according to many, many of your Packer brethren.

p.s. ~ i like how you only quoted the part where i called you the best packer fan on these boards. ;)
Everyone has different opinions about the whole situation. My stance is that he was pushed out of town while he still had it in him to play. He has the skillset and fire inside of him to still play.
I fail to see how it isn't the other way around. Please, enlighten me. Why are you losing respect for a 39 year old quarterback who has won a super bowl and 3 consecutive MVPs? Is it because he still wants to play or is it because of the media coverage a sports figure like him warrants? Think to yourself. Do you hate him or the media for loving to talk about him? There's a difference.

The Dynasty
08-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Favre is already on the practice field from the video feed shown on ESPN. This happened rather quick. I wonder who those unnamed viking players were that talked to Jay Glazer about this.

Saints 4 Lyfe
08-18-2009, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't mind him playing. I just would wish he could make up his mind.
he milked the entire thing just so he didnt have to go through training camp. im like 93.45% sure of it.

cvv84
08-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Favre is already on the practice field from the video feed shown on ESPN. This happened rather quick. I wonder who those unnamed viking players were that talked to Jay Glazer about this.

I like when Booty came out in his new #9 jersey smiling.

yo123
08-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Everyone has different opinions about the whole situation. My stance is that he was pushed out of town while he still had it in him to play. He has the skillset and fire inside of him to still play.

I fail to see how it isn't the other way around. Please, enlighten me. Why are you losing respect for a 39 year old quarterback who has won a super bowl and 3 consecutive MVPs? Is it because he still wants to play or is it because of the media coverage a sports figure like him warrants? Think to yourself. Do you hate him or the media for loving to talk about him? There's a difference.

I hate him and the media for loving to talk about him. He was clearly exploiting the situation by going back and forth. There is just no way you change your mind that much, at least you don't make it public every time.

His MVP's and Super Bowl have nothing to do with his character.

yo123
08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
I like when Booty came out in his new #9 jersey smiling.

If he was smiling he clearly doesn't understand that he's not going to be on the team much longer.

tjsunstein
08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Another thing to remember, he was a free agent. After last season the Packers decided to move on without him and he no longer had any obligation to the organization. He wants to play, he wants to win, he wants to stick it straight up TT's ass and Minnesota provides the opportunity better than anyone.

I believe I fail to see your point. The Packers moved on without him, yes, and it looks as if it was for the better. I still like Brett Favre and the passion he brings to the game. I respect everything he's done during his tenure and I don't mind seeing him play for another year. As a matter of fact, I will enjoy watching him.

JLaw45
08-18-2009, 01:55 PM

It is easy to respect what he has accomplished, but when the back and forth that has persisted for the past 2 years(I'm retiring, packer fans...no, I want to come back...ok, im back, J-E-T-S!...alright, im retiring, bye NY!...no, i actually might come back...no, vikings, I wont be back...alright, nvm, I'm back!) is ridiculous.
Its easy to lose respect for someone who flip flops so consistently. The media only makes it much worse by covering it INCESSANTLY. It never ends, and that only makes you lose even more respect. Then there are question about his strategy-is he just trying to avoid training camp, etc, etc.

It gets old. Yeah, he was a great player, but it isn't like he's still the same caliber he was in 1997. He is a 39 year old quarterback who would still seem past his prime even without this insane media circus and indecisiveness.

Saints 4 Lyfe
08-18-2009, 01:57 PM

its because he doesnt want to be treated like the rest of the players, he wants to be treated special. he "contemplated" coming back just long enough for training camp to end. something he's already said he does not look forward too.

all the accolades you named are over a decade ago. irrelevant, obsolete, mean nothing now.

tjsunstein
08-18-2009, 01:59 PM
he milked the entire thing just so he didnt have to go through training camp. im like 93.45% sure of it.

He's coming off of surgery. Why would he want to go through training camp? He's 39 years old, not exactly a spring chicken. I don't think anyone expected him to go through training camp. Atleast, I didn't.

I hate him and the media for loving to talk about him. He was clearly exploiting the situation by going back and forth. There is just no way you change your mind that much, at least you don't make it public every time.

His MVP's and Super Bowl have nothing to do with his character.

That's all speculation on your part. Obviously there is a way one can change their mind so many times. Especially in a situation like this.

TACKLE
08-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Brett, why couldn't you just leave us alone? Why do you crave the attention?

JLaw45
08-18-2009, 02:00 PM
On another note, is this guy sponsored by Cadillac or something? Last year and this year, I only ever see this guy in a top of the line Escalade, and he seems to have one in every color, and every version(EXT, ESV, etc).

GM must love the free advertising with this media coverage. The one he rode in today looked sharp, must be optioned out.

Brodeur
08-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Brett, why couldn't you just leave us alone? Why do you crave the attention?

Narcissists are like that.

vikes_28
08-18-2009, 02:01 PM
I guess I'm not thrilled to see this. But also I'm not too disappointed. I just wish the Vikings could have stuck with Rosenfels, cause he looked awesome in the first pre-season game. I'm optimistic.

yo123
08-18-2009, 02:02 PM
I guess I'm not thrilled to see this. But also I'm not too disappointed. I just wish the Vikings could have stuck with Rosenfels, cause he looked awesome in the first pre-season game. I'm optimistic.

He did look awesome, but Tarvaris has shown us more than once that preseason success doesn't always translate.

San Diego Chicken
08-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Before today, I thought the Vikings would go 12-4 and go to the NFCCG.

Now I see them missing the playoffs.

T-RICH49
08-18-2009, 02:05 PM
I can't believe they're already starting him Friday

Saints 4 Lyfe
08-18-2009, 02:05 PM
He's coming off of surgery. Why would he want to go through training camp? He's 39 years old, not exactly a spring chicken. I don't think anyone expected him to go through training camp. Atleast, I didn't.

well if he cant (or doesn't) want to go through training camp maybe thats an indication he needs to, oh, idk, STAY RETIRED.

The_Dude
08-18-2009, 02:07 PM

Seriously? This is just getting ridiculous....

yo123
08-18-2009, 02:09 PM

Serious question. Have you ever seen Sage or Tarvaris play?

San Diego Chicken
08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
well if he cant (or doesn't) want to go through training camp maybe thats an indication he needs to, oh, idk, STAY RETIRED.

Couldn't agree more. It isn't like Mike Strahan for whom camp is unneccessary. A brand new QB needs at least some time to develop timing with his WR's.

San Diego Chicken
08-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Serious question. Have you ever seen Sage or Tarvaris play?

It's not about them. It's about Favre, how he has become a turnover machine and how he can't operate within the framework of an offensive system.

tjsunstein
08-18-2009, 02:13 PM

Not exactly. He showed last year that he could get it done and then he was injured. He nursed that injury the whole offseason and is now completely healthy. It doesn't make any sense to go through training camp and risk tiring his arm some more especially in adjusting to an offense he already knows. He could get his timing down with the recievers in the next three weeks, that won't be a problem. Keeping him fresh is the most important thing from now until September 10th. At what point does the blame transfer from Favre getting his demands to the Vikings meeting them?

yo123
08-18-2009, 02:15 PM
It's not about them. It's about Favre, how he has become a turnover machine and how he can't operate within the framework of an offensive system.

It is about them, we brought in Favre to be an upgrade over Sage and T-Jack, which he absolutely is.

Sage Rosenfels is also a turnover machine, a turnover machine that doesn't have the potential to throw 25 TD's and 3,500 yards like Favre.

I don't think I need to explain why Favre is a better option than Tarvaris.

The_Dude
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
But it is this pattern of behavior that makes him more of a douchebag. This was nothing new, he's been doing this for years now

tjsunstein
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
I don't think I need to explain why Favre is a better option than Tarvaris.

I don't think anyone should need to defend Favre or the Vikings for this move but apparently it's necessary.

yo123
08-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Not exactly. He showed last year that he could get it done and then he was injured. He nursed that injury the whole offseason and is now completely healthy. It doesn't make any sense to go through training camp and risk tiring his arm some more especially in adjusting to an offense he already knows. He could get his timing down with the recievers in the next three weeks, that won't be a problem. Keeping him fresh is the most important thing from now until September 10th. At what point does the blame transfer from Favre getting his demands to the Vikings meeting them?

He's not completely healthy he has a torn rotator cuff, and I don't see how the Vikings deserve any blame. They were in no position to turn down someone like Favre.