PDA

View Full Version : Peppers signs franchise tag

AntoinCD
06-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Per Espn; Does this mean he is playing at least another year in Carolina or will another team try to trade for him and get him into camp?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4284304

FlyingElvis
06-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Trades are usually done by draft day so teams can draft accordingly, so I doubt he goes anywhere. Plus the "He needs to sign his tender before we can discuss trades" conversation was less than accurate. A trade could have been worked out w/o signing the tender.

I think he plays for the Panthers this year.

BlindSite
06-24-2009, 04:04 PM
He'll be a panther and IMO he'll either sign a long term tender or the team will allow him to leave afterwards.

It'll take something monumental, like a marquee defensive end killing a hooker for a team to consider trading for him now.

cvv84
06-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Trades are usually done by draft day so teams can draft accordingly, so I doubt he goes anywhere. Plus the "He needs to sign his tender before we can discuss trades" conversation was less than accurate. A trade could have been worked out w/o signing the tender.

I think he plays for the Panthers this year.

No team would trade for him unless they arranged a new contract first. Plus you can't trade a player who isn't under contract it doesn't matter if you could work out a trade with another team or not.

Stranger
06-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Think it means he plays this year then the panthers tag him and look to trade him next year.... and we go through the same thing again. Even more likely if its uncapped next year and teams get two tags. He should have gone the Haynesworth route and put in a clause that they can't tag him again, easier said than done though.

BlindSite
06-26-2009, 02:34 AM
I feel he'll sign a long term agreement, he'll be 30 next year and it's not like team's are going to want to pay him huge money to adjust to a new position.

A Perfect Score
06-26-2009, 12:59 PM
I think its embarrassing that he is going to make over a million dollars a game. Thats just ridiculous.

Gay Ork Wang
06-26-2009, 01:02 PM
I think its embarrassing that he is going to make over a million dollars a game. Thats just ridiculous.
how is it ridiculous?

A Perfect Score
06-26-2009, 01:05 PM
how is it ridiculous?

No one deserves to make that sort of money. Especially not a DE who only shows up when he wants to.

LonghornsLegend
06-26-2009, 07:06 PM
No one deserves to make that sort of money. Especially not a DE who only shows up when he wants to.

Tell that to Stephan Marbury who was getting paid 20 million dollars a year. At least Peppers is one of the best at his position, but basketball and baseball contracts are far worse in comparison.

MetSox17
06-27-2009, 05:30 AM

When you're one of probably five, or six men in the ENTIRE WORLD that can do a certain job, you have the right to make as much money as you want.

I don't know how that concept is so hard to understand. You get paid according to how many people can do what you do at the same skill level or better. Go learn a rare skill that's in extremely high demand and you'll make a **** ton of money too.

M.O.T.H.
06-27-2009, 12:48 PM
nah, I'm with APS. Yes it's a business but, they're playing a game. They dont deserve all that money. Not at all. No one in sports does. They're essentially entertainers...they're not really benefitting man in some amazing way. They're not saving lives or curing disease. (extreme examples) But still...the money athletes get is disgustingly inflated and sickening, imo.

GhostDeini
06-27-2009, 01:04 PM
A million dollars a game, wow ! I cant hate on him for that though because if theres someone willing to pay you that much you take it every time. But as a football player I lost all respect for him taking the 2007 season off.

ChezPower4
06-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Panthers are never going to let him leave.

MetSox17
06-27-2009, 01:50 PM
nah, I'm with APS. Yes it's a business but, they're playing a game. They dont deserve all that money. Not at all. No one in sports does. They're essentially entertainers...they're not really benefitting man in some amazing way. They're not saving lives or curing disease. (extreme examples) But still...the money athletes get is disgustingly inflated and sickening, imo.

Lol, who are we to say if they deserve the money they earn or not? They do benefit man, because if it weren't for athletes and sports, you'd live a miserable existence. Every employee earns their money, regardless of what they do. If you looked at it that way, only doctors, researchers and teachers are worthy of their pay? You can look at ANY job and use the same excuse you just made for them not to be worthy.

If it's that sickening, don't contribute to the sports world then. If there wasn't millions upon millions of little MOTHs all over the world, athletes wouldn't get paid that much money. You can't have it both ways.

M.O.T.H.
06-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Lol, who are we to say if they deserve the money they earn or not? They do benefit man, because if it weren't for athletes and sports, you'd live a miserable existence. Every employee earns their money, regardless of what they do. If you looked at it that way, only doctors, researchers and teachers are worthy of their pay? You can look at ANY job and use the same excuse you just made for them not to be worthy.

If it's that sickening, don't contribute to the sports world then. If there wasn't millions upon millions of little MOTHs all over the world, athletes wouldn't get paid that much money. You can't have it both ways.

gah...what a terrible argument. How you could justify someone making tens of millions to hundreds of millions for catching or hitting a ball is beyond me. It's all ridiculous.

and we all know, it's a multi-billion dollar business. One that is actually hemorrhaging money but anyway, yeah of course the players should get a piece of the pie but, in the end it really is just a game....and what they're doing, really isn't all that important when you really think about it. Some of the figures are just outrageous.

yourfavestoner
06-27-2009, 02:16 PM
gah...what a terrible argument. How you could justify someone making tens of millions to hundreds of millions for catching or hitting a ball is beyond me. It's all ridiculous.

and we all know, it's a multi-billion dollar business. One that is actually hemorrhaging money but anyway, yeah of course the players should get a piece of the pie but, in the end it really is just a game....and what they're doing, really isn't all that important when you really think about it. Some of the figures are just outrageous.

It's really simple. Supply and demand. The supply of people who can hit or catch a ball that well is absurdly small, while the demand is incredibly high.

MetSox17
06-27-2009, 02:18 PM

Pot, meet kettle.

Your argument is as fallacious as they come. I don't care if they're weaving baskets under water, if millions of people pay to watch them, and not many people can do it, they deserve every last cent they make. It's not that hard a concept to understand, really.

I never said their work is important, but the fact that you take the time out of your day, every saturday, sunday, monday, not to mention watching baseball and basketball games, makes me think that it obviously means SOMETHING to you. For every guy like you, there's 10 that will spend the cash to go to a game and buy merchandise that they'll never need. The fact is, it's a business. Every single person out there is a business man looking to get his first and foremost, and i don't blame them because the owners make a **** ton of money every year on those same people they pay. It's not outrageous at all, and like i said, there's plenty of skills out there that you can learn that are in high demand that could get you banking also, but you just choose not to pursue them.

Edit -
When you're one of probably five, or six men in the ENTIRE WORLD that can do a certain job, you have the right to make as much money as you want.

I don't know how that concept is so hard to understand. You get paid according to how many people can do what you do at the same skill level or better. Go learn a rare skill that's in extremely high demand and you'll make a **** ton of money too.
It's really simple. Supply and demand. The supply of people who can hit or catch a ball that well is absurdly small, while the demand is incredibly high.

I'm glad SOMEONE understands.

M.O.T.H.
06-27-2009, 02:30 PM

I know where a lot of people stand on this...and a great deal of people would agree with you but, I still think it's just ridiculous. Tis a kid's game after all. Not like anything is going to change so, it's pretty useless to get into but, I'll continue to disagree w/ the fact that they are making what they are "worth". Some would even say they're under paid. It is tough, though because, they're making their team's owner an insane amount of money. I know this, but at the same time...I cant agree with the actual player, making beyond copious amounts of money to play what is nothing more than a game.

bigbluedefense
06-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Athletes make a lot of money because owners make a ton of money.

Its just the economics of sports. Why do basketball players make more money than football players? theres 40 something home games that fill 30,000 ppl a game in basketball, and only 5 starters.

Thats why. More money, less players.

Big name athletes make more money because they bring more people in the seats, and sell more merchandise and sell the name of the team. Owners make more money off them, and because they directly improve an owner's revenue, they demand a higher salary.

A player like Michael Vick warranted his salary because of the ridiculous amount of money he generated for the Falcons. Its not always about performance on the field unfortunately. Marketability is a huge factor in sports.

But in general, players make a ton of money because theres a lot of money to spread around, and since players make the league, its only fair that they earn a large piece of the pie.

M.O.T.H.
06-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Pot, meet kettle.

Your argument is as fallacious as they come. I don't care if they're weaving baskets under water, if millions of people pay to watch them, and not many people can do it, they deserve every last cent they make. It's not that hard a concept to understand, really.

I never said their work is important, but the fact that you take the time out of your day, every saturday, sunday, monday, not to mention watching baseball and basketball games, makes me think that it obviously means SOMETHING to you. For every guy like you, there's 10 that will spend the cash to go to a game and buy merchandise that they'll never need. The fact is, it's a business. Every single person out there is a business man looking to get his first and foremost, and i don't blame them because the owners make a **** ton of money every year on those same people they pay. It's not outrageous at all, and like i said, there's plenty of skills out there that you can learn that are in high demand that could get you banking also, but you just choose not to pursue them.

What the heck do you even mean by this? It's not like it's a jealousy thing. Resorting to taking shots at me because, I dont agree with you? classy.

A Perfect Score
06-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Lol Metsox. REALLY? You are going to sit here and tell me that an athlete, who plays a game for a living, deserves to make more then a doctor, or firefighter, or police officer? Im not saying that the athletes should be payed handsomly. They put their bodies on the line every week, and as you said, they are the elite few who can do what they do. That said, making a million dollars in 60 minutes is ridiculous. As in, absolutely shameful. I know its the nature of the business, and I am to blame because I watch football and blah blah blah, but really, if you can sit there and tell me an athlete deserves to make more money then someone who saves others lives every day, then you need a reality check really badly. I know thats the way it is, but a million dollars in 60 minutes...no one deserves that kind of money. Nobody.

The Unseen
06-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Athletes make a lot of money because owners make a ton of money.

This.

If the NFL was some hokey semi-pro league with a couple thousand fans total (like in its early days), then athletes would be payed almost nothing, as athletes in low-level pro leagues are. But when a sport makes sooooo much money like the NFL does, everyone gets a piece of the bajizillion dollar pie.

"Deserve" is a different argument entirely. That's a question of "should," not "why." Metsox may be concluding that since they make so much money, they have a right to all of it. And even that splits the "deserve" argument, because you would be either arguing about property rights or a utopia where life savers make the most coin, which are different arguments.

duckseason
06-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Lol Metsox. REALLY? You are going to sit here and tell me that an athlete, who plays a game for a living, deserves to make more then a doctor, or firefighter, or police officer? Im not saying that the athletes should be payed handsomly. They put their bodies on the line every week, and as you said, they are the elite few who can do what they do. That said, making a million dollars in 60 minutes is ridiculous. As in, absolutely shameful. I know its the nature of the business, and I am to blame because I watch football and blah blah blah, but really, if you can sit there and tell me an athlete deserves to make more money then someone who saves others lives every day, then you need a reality check really badly. I know thats the way it is, but a million dollars in 60 minutes...no one deserves that kind of money. Nobody.
Athletes don't make a million dollars in 60 minutes. They do it over the course of a lifetime of hard work.

That's like saying a firefighter makes $1,000,000 every time he heroically drags somebody from a burning house.

And what kind of fantasy world are you living in anyway? Who in the hell saves lives every day?

Firefighters and police officers are employed through government. You want to pay them $10 million per year, go ahead. But you'll need to secure lucrative television contracts and get the entire nation to tune in regularly to watch them play cards and go to the grocery store in between calls. And of course replica uniforms would be a popular item among fans. We could build stadiums around training venues and charge people $50 each to come watch them mace themselves and shoot target practice.

The majority of athletes get chewed up and spit out and may have been much better off pursuing a career as a police officer or something. They have zero security and no guarantees. They don't just pass a few tests and then have a job for life. The millions that Julius Peppers makes came from the efforts of hundreds of other DE's who ended up with nothing. It's a high risk/high reward job market. A sort of lottery that requires a tremendous amount of natural talent combined with countless hours of hard work.

If you truly believe that athletes are so shamefully overpaid in relation to police officers and firefighters and teachers, then slap yourself. IT IS YOU who decided that. It is I, and it is m.o.t.h. and metsox and every damn person on this site. And yes, that is how it should be. We as a people should be free to choose what we will and will not pay for.

You give such a crap about your local firehouse, then take your ass down there and show your support. Take all the energy you spend thinking and talking about sports and direct it toward it's rightful place. Sitting here talking about it only shows how much of a hypocrite you are.

A Perfect Score
06-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Athletes don't make a million dollars in 60 minutes. They do it over the course of a lifetime of hard work.

That's like saying a firefighter makes $1,000,000 every time he heroically drags somebody from a burning house.

And what kind of fantasy world are you living in anyway? Who in the hell saves lives every day?

Firefighters and police officers are employed through government. You want to pay them $10 million per year, go ahead. But you'll need to secure lucrative television contracts and get the entire nation to tune in regularly to watch them play cards and go to the grocery store in between calls. And of course replica uniforms would be a popular item among fans. We could build stadiums around training venues and charge people $50 each to come watch them mace themselves and shoot target practice.

The majority of athletes get chewed up and spit out and may have been much better off pursuing a career as a police officer or something. They have zero security and no guarantees. They don't just pass a few tests and then have a job for life. The millions that Julius Peppers makes came from the efforts of hundreds of other DE's who ended up with nothing. It's a high risk/high reward job market. A sort of lottery that requires a tremendous amount of natural talent combined with countless hours of hard work.

If you truly believe that athletes are so shamefully overpaid in relation to police officers and firefighters and teachers, then slap yourself. IT IS YOU who decided that. It is I, and it is m.o.t.h. and metsox and every damn person on this site. And yes, that is how it should be. We as a people should be free to choose what we will and will not pay for.

You give such a crap about your local firehouse, then take your ass down there and show your support. Take all the energy you spend thinking and talking about sports and direct it toward it's rightful place. Sitting here talking about it only shows how much of a hypocrite you are.

First off, my father is a fire chief, and was a firefighter for 35 years before that. So as far as sitting here calling me a hypocrite, well, you can go **** yourself for all I care. I have the utmost respect for the emergency services and I absolutely believe that in a proper world, they are the ones who make millions and the people who play a game for a living can make 60,000 a year.

No guarantees? Are you ******* insane? If Peyton Manning never plays another game in the ******* league, he still makes 35 million dollars leftover from his signing bonus. Dont ******* tell me the players arent guaranteed. Thats the whole purpose of signing bonuses and roster bonuses and so on and so forth.

As for a lifetime of hard work, yes. Absolutely. Lets not forget that all of those people hit the ******* gene lottery, and most are incredibly gifted from birth. And as far as all your other ******** arguments, congratulations on being a terrible human being. There really is no way a person with a conscience can justify AN ATHLETE, an entertainer, making more money then A DOCTOR, or someone else who yes, saves peoples lives. Basically in what you just said, you put more emphasis on your personal entertainment then the lives of your fellow humans. Like I said before, congratulations on having no soul.

Just because I watch football doesnt mean I condone the players making that much money. For all I care, take a certain amount, pay the players, and donate the rest to people who need it. These guys play a game. Keep that in mind.

bantx
06-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Make it rain Jpep

The Unseen
06-27-2009, 06:45 PM

We have no choice over the payment of government officials...at best a little due to democracy, but that's wishful thinking.

You think that one person watching or not watching the game will decide the pay of players? Very, very wishful thinking. You can choose to pay for it, sure, but that has no affect on league operations. And I think it's fine to be a fan of a league but to disagree with the operations. Change is more likely to be made by fans than boycotters.

As for a lifetime of hard work, yes. Absolutely. Lets not forget that all of those people hit the ******* gene lottery, and most are incredibly gifted from birth. And as far as all your other ******** arguments, congratulations on being a terrible human being. There really is no way a person with a conscience can justify AN ATHLETE, an entertainer, making more money then A DOCTOR, or someone else who yes, saves peoples lives. Basically in what you just said, you put more emphasis on your personal entertainment then the lives of your fellow humans. Like I said before, congratulations on having no soul.

Let's be honest here. How many skilled firefighters, doctors, and paramedics go hungry? How many skilled professional athletes go hungry? The amount is about the same - next to none. The firefighters and so forth may have more general financial hardships than athletes, but they live well, relative to the average human. So what's the big ******* deal if the athletes get more toys or better houses or sweeter things than the others? You're so offended that he would dare think that athletes get paid more than firefighters or doctors, but they all do just fine in the grand scheme of things. Sure, firefighters risk life and limb, but what's so damn offensive about them not making millions? I just don't get it. I'd be worried if they get paid like sweat shop workers and risk going hungry, but your average emergency worker does just damn fine.

And why did you choose Peyton Manning to compare? If you pick Peyton Manning, you should choose one of the worlds best doctors for a fair comparison. Last I checked, they get paid pretty well.

duckseason
06-27-2009, 09:37 PM
We have no choice over the payment of government officials...at best a little due to democracy, but that's wishful thinking.

We as a society do in fact decide how much to pay public servants. Just as we do with professional athletes and most everybody else.

You think that one person watching or not watching the game will decide the pay of players? Very, very wishful thinking. You can choose to pay for it, sure, but that has no affect on league operations. And I think it's fine to be a fan of a league but to disagree with the operations. Change is more likely to be made by fans than boycotters.

Just like how your vote doesn't count. It may feel that way, but in reality it is the actions of each individual that puts such strength behind a large group of people doing the same thing. Yes, APS and everybody else on this site are contributors to the salaries of guys like Peyton Manning and Julius Peppers.

What's wishful is to expect a canoe to veer to the same side you're paddling.

duckseason
06-27-2009, 09:47 PM
First off, my father is a fire chief, and was a firefighter for 35 years before that. So as far as sitting here calling me a hypocrite, well, you can go **** yourself for all I care. I have the utmost respect for the emergency services and I absolutely believe that in a proper world, they are the ones who make millions and the people who play a game for a living can make 60,000 a year.

I have no doubt that you really believe that. What I'm saying is that YOU are part of the "problem," therefore it comes off as very hypocritical and narrow minded to say the things you're saying.

No guarantees? Are you ******* insane? If Peyton Manning never plays another game in the ******* league, he still makes 35 million dollars leftover from his signing bonus. Dont ******* tell me the players arent guaranteed. Thats the whole purpose of signing bonuses and roster bonuses and so on and so forth.

Yes, genius, no guarantees. If you read what I wrote rather than what you chose to hear, you'd understand that I'm talking about the entire industry. A guy like Peyton Manning makes what he makes at the expense of thousands of other QB's who failed to reach such heights. Firefighters split their pool of money fairly evenly amongst each other. There is a hell of a lot more money being spent on public servants in this country than there is on professional athletes, so you already have what you want.

As for a lifetime of hard work, yes. Absolutely. Lets not forget that all of those people hit the ******* gene lottery, and most are incredibly gifted from birth.

Right, already pointed that out, thanks. If you think that's unfair, welcome to life. Not everybody is born with the ability to be a police officer or doctor, either.

And as far as all your other ******** arguments, congratulations on being a terrible human being.

Wasn't really arguing so much as informing. To recognize that the National Football League and its employees are a completely separate entity from the world of public service does not make one a terrible human being. Peyton Manning has nothing to do with Joe Firefighter. Joe Firefighter chose his career path and worked hard for it. So did Peyton Manning. What does and should decide what each person gets paid is the people who are doing the paying.

As long as you acknowledge that you are willingly contributing to the amount these athletes get paid, you cannot label another man a terrible human being for simply doing the same.

There really is no way a person with a conscience can justify AN ATHLETE, an entertainer, making more money then A DOCTOR, or someone else who yes, saves peoples lives. Basically in what you just said, you put more emphasis on your personal entertainment then the lives of your fellow humans. Like I said before, congratulations on having no soul.

My fellow humans, INCLUDING THE PUBLIC SERVANTS THEMSELVES, have willingly chosen to pay a select group of entertainers more than the average public servant. Just as we've decided that waiters at expensive restaurants make far more than your average fast food employee.

If the amount of lives one saved were the sole consideration when it came to pay scale, we'd have a whole industry that put people's lives in danger just so they could be saved.

And no, being fine with Julius Peppers making more than Nurse Jane does not mean that I place my personal entertainment above the lives of fellow human beings. That may be your guilty conscience speaking, but I never said anything along those lines.

Additionally, a doctor is free to charge whatever he pleases for his services. Just as the NFL is free to do so.

Just because I watch football doesnt mean I condone the players making that much money. For all I care, take a certain amount, pay the players, and donate the rest to people who need it. These guys play a game. Keep that in mind.
This is the part that is causing you so much confusion.

In reality, condoning those salaries is exactly what you're doing when you're watching MNF or clicking links on ESPN or anything else that funnels money into the NFL. Same thing with anything else you choose to spend your time or money on. When you willingly give a person or entity anything, you're saying they deserve it.

TitleTown088
06-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Lol Metsox. REALLY? You are going to sit here and tell me that an athlete, who plays a game for a living, deserves to make more then a doctor, or firefighter, or police officer? Im not saying that the athletes should be payed handsomly. They put their bodies on the line every week, and as you said, they are the elite few who can do what they do. That said, making a million dollars in 60 minutes is ridiculous. As in, absolutely shameful. I know its the nature of the business, and I am to blame because I watch football and blah blah blah, but really, if you can sit there and tell me an athlete deserves to make more money then someone who saves others lives every day, then you need a reality check really badly. I know thats the way it is, but a million dollars in 60 minutes...no one deserves that kind of money. Nobody. Dude they're only paid that way because they're in demand. If people like us stop watching the games and paying for tickets there is no revenue for that crazy salary.

When you point your finger at someone, three fingers are pointing back at you. ...

The Unseen
06-28-2009, 07:04 PM
We as a society do in fact decide how much to pay public servants. Just as we do with professional athletes and most everybody else.

No, we don't. We're not writing the city budgets. We're not in the union and owner negotiation room writing the agreement.

Just like how your vote doesn't count. It may feel that way, but in reality it is the actions of each individual that puts such strength behind a large group of people doing the same thing. Yes, APS and everybody else on this site are contributors to the salaries of guys like Peyton Manning and Julius Peppers.

What's wishful is to expect a canoe to veer to the same side you're paddling.

In a way, it is like how your vote doesn't count, because...it doesn't. If APS stops watching or paying for NFL products, the NFL will keep on paying big salaries. If all fans stop, then obviously something will happen. If you don't vote, the same outcome will happen for the vote, save a very very very very very rare chance of an election being decided by one vote, which has only ever happened in municipal situations (I think). If a bunch of people don't vote, then the outcome will change. But one solitary person is not significant. That doesn't mean that the insignificance determines whether you should or shouldn't buy or should or shouldn't vote - I mean that it is insignificant in affecting the way things turn out as a whole. Why you do either is for different reasons.

Gay Ork Wang
06-28-2009, 07:14 PM
The institute of Money is the real problem. Thinking that how much they earn is standing for how much they deserve it is really a dumb thought.

The Unseen
06-28-2009, 07:29 PM
The institute of Money is the real problem. Thinking that how much they earn is standing for how much they deserve it is really a dumb thought.

So what does a violinist pay you if you fix her house? A concert?

Nothin wrong with money. Maybe the way it is run, but not in and of itself.

Bucs_Rule
06-28-2009, 07:52 PM
The NFL and football players are in the entertainment business. They generate Billions in profits before player salaries are given out. The players play a huge role in making fans want to watch it, you simply cannot replace them and make similar earnings. Thats why they get such huge salaries.

If you generate lots of revenue in a size that other cannot you keep a lot of it.

Gay Ork Wang
06-28-2009, 07:56 PM
So what does a violinist pay you if you fix her house? A concert?

Nothin wrong with money. Maybe the way it is run, but not in and of itself.
i dont think in a perfect or better world that there is a need for money or for payment of any sorts but thats a total different chapter

duckseason
06-28-2009, 08:54 PM
No, we don't. We're not writing the city budgets. We're not in the union and owner negotiation room writing the agreement.
Yes, we do. These things are not decided out of thin air. They did not just come to be. You impact your city's budget, and also have the ability to impact where those dollars go. If society as a whole decided that police officers should start out at $1,000,000 per year, that's how it would be.

In a way, it is like how your vote doesn't count, because...it doesn't.

In reality, it most definitely does. You are just as real as everybody else.

If APS stops watching or paying for NFL products, the NFL will keep on paying big salaries. If all fans stop, then obviously something will happen.

Right. I am but a mere pixel on a 50" screen, therefore I can just blend in with all the gray pixels without anybody noticing that I am in fact, a purple pixel. I mean, I hate gray pixels with every fiber of my being, but I'm gonna go ahead and wallow amongst them for no other reason than the fact that I'm a purple pixel that appears to go unnoticed from afar.

The level of impact is irrelevant. The bottom line is that he's screaming at the canoe to go left while his hands are furiously paddling an oar off his left side. As I pass, I feel obligated to point out his error so as to save him from further confusion and frustration.

If you don't vote, the same outcome will happen for the vote, save a very very very very very rare chance of an election being decided by one vote, which has only ever happened in municipal situations (I think). If a bunch of people don't vote, then the outcome will change. But one solitary person is not significant. That doesn't mean that the insignificance determines whether you should or shouldn't buy or should or shouldn't vote - I mean that it is insignificant in affecting the way things turn out as a whole. Why you do either is for different reasons.

How can you be so blind to the fact that EVERY person matters. You are constantly affecting the world around you whether you choose to acknowledge it or not. Whether it be by voting on local measures or buying a cheeseburger from Wendy's or simply breathing. You are constantly voting with your dollars and time and effort and everything. You really are human and you really are a part of this world. Your actions do not occur without a reaction. The NFL is popular because of people just like you. You are, in fact, impacting Julius Peppers' salary as well as that of your local public servants and the places that you choose to and not to do business with. All the websites you choose to visit, the roads you drive on, the shoes you wear, your personal hygiene, every damn choice you make one way or the other. It all impacts the world around you. This is indisputable. Meaning there is nothing for you to do but agree.

The Unseen
06-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Do I have an impact that matters? Yes.

Is this impact in and of itself compared to all other impacts significant? Very barely. The world AS A WHOLE changes almost not at all when I die. I'm talking big picture here.

boy this has gotten off track. My point remains - Goodell doesn't shake in his boots because APS is bitching.

duckseason
06-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Do I have an impact that matters? Yes.

Is this impact in and of itself compared to all other impacts significant? Very barely. The world AS A WHOLE changes almost not at all when I die. I'm talking big picture here.

boy this has gotten off track. My point remains - Goodell doesn't shake in his boots because APS is bitching.
Right, your point has no place in response to anything I said though. I never said APS would make Goodell shake in his boots. All I said was that his support of the NFL contradicted his statements regarding player salaries as they relate to those of public servants.

Borat
06-28-2009, 11:24 PM
I liked this thread better when it was about Julius Peppers signing his Franchise tender.

Vox Populi
06-29-2009, 12:09 AM
In a way, it is like how your vote doesn't count, because...it doesn't. If APS stops watching or paying for NFL products, the NFL will keep on paying big salaries. If all fans stop, then obviously something will happen. If you don't vote, the same outcome will happen for the vote, save a very very very very very rare chance of an election being decided by one vote, which has only ever happened in municipal situations (I think). If a bunch of people don't vote, then the outcome will change. But one solitary person is not significant. That doesn't mean that the insignificance determines whether you should or shouldn't buy or should or shouldn't vote - I mean that it is insignificant in affecting the way things turn out as a whole. Why you do either is for different reasons.

You don't watch enough V for Vendetta do you?

MetSox17
06-29-2009, 02:26 AM

Here's what you don't get through you thick skull; A lot more people in this world can become police officers and firefighters than those that can become professional athletes. I don't particularly care whether you or anyone else feels they're deserving their money from an ethics point of view, the fact of the matter is that they're performing a task that you and i willingly pay boat loads of money for, and he deserves his slice.

And it really sounds like sour grapes saying that no one deserves that kind of money. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, all those guys worth billions of dollars, do they not deserve what they worked hard for, simply because it's a ridiculous amount of money? That way of thinking is absolutely idiotic.

What the heck do you even mean by this? It's not like it's a jealousy thing. Resorting to taking shots at me because, I dont agree with you? classy.

You misunderstood what i was saying, and i apologize if that's how you interpreted it. What i meant to say was that anyone who is willing to go the extra mile to achieve big dreams can do so. Those that can't be athletes can be doctors, or businessmen, or whatever can make them rich.

brat316
06-29-2009, 02:38 AM
Dude they're only paid that way because they're in demand. If people like us stop watching the games and paying for tickets there is no revenue for that crazy salary.

When you point your finger at someone, three fingers are pointing back at you. ...

This pretty much raps up why people are paid they way they are.

Why are labor workers not paid more...because there are so many of them.

Why are doctors paid more then other educated professions.. because there are only hand full of doctors compared to the general population that needs them.

If we demand more firefighters and need more and there are only a few select ones chosen after a long process then they would be paid more.

brat316
06-29-2009, 02:42 AM
J. Pepper will he have a Pro Bowl year? I think no, he is going to try and take himself out of plays and avoid getting injured. Usually the guys that do that, end up getting injured, trying to be cautious and all.

Will he back with the Panther, if no cap next year then yes, say hello to the the franchise tag.

ChezPower4
06-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Will he back with the Panther, if no cap next year then yes, say hello to the the franchise tag.

Peppers has become good friends with the franchise tag.