PDA

View Full Version : Lions trade Gerald Alexander for Dennis Northcutt

Xiomera
06-26-2009, 11:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4290825

I like it. I guess . . . though another high Millen pick has gone to waste.

Northcutt is a lot like Derrick Williams, no? Doesn't inspire confidence in him, but Northcutt is a very solid veteran receiver.

Prowler
06-27-2009, 09:02 AM
its fine with me. northcutt is pretty small, but playing for the jags had to have helped his run blocking a bit. plus it ensures that we always have enough wideouts to spread the field. i don't know why the jags would get rid of another wideout though. CJ, Bryant, Derrick, Dennis, and Curry should provide a pretty good mix.

WMD
06-28-2009, 01:45 AM
You guys might remember better than me.. did Tactica at some point try to compare Gerald Alexander to Ed Reed?

El Peefs?????
06-28-2009, 01:47 AM
You guys might remember better than me.. did Tactica at some point try to compare Gerald Alexander to Ed Reed?

Hes about to hit his stride.

Addict
06-28-2009, 04:11 AM

IIRC he did mention the two in the same sentence once, but I don't think he actually compared them.

Also I don't really understand this trade, I thought we'd have Alexander at FS and Delmas at SS... Now we just have Bullocks... who's really a SS too, right?

WMD
06-28-2009, 04:17 AM
I think we'll probably roll with Anthony Henry and Louis Delmas for the safety spots..

Xiomera
06-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I think we'll probably roll with Anthony Henry and Louis Delmas for the safety spots..

Yep. That makes who, Ramzee Robinson our starting CB opposite Buchanon? Or are they trying to bring Brian Kelly back? Bryant Westbrook? Terry Fair?

WMD
06-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Yep. That makes who, Ramzee Robinson our starting CB opposite Buchanon? Or are they trying to bring Brian Kelly back? Bryant Westbrook? Terry Fair?
Eric King!!!

also Keith Smith.

Brothgar
06-28-2009, 11:08 AM

Bullocks? I think that Henry is going to play CB. I don't really like this trade muck IMO Alexander wasn't great by any stretch but I thought he was half decent at least.

Scotty D
06-28-2009, 11:15 AM
I think I like Alexander's future more then Bullocks.

Prowler
06-28-2009, 12:31 PM
keith smith is underrated now. not #2 material, but should be better.

edit-just saw that fernando bryant retired

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4281501

Xiomera
06-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Oh Fernando . . . what as total waste of money you were.

The guy had a total of like 10 INT's his entire career, haha.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
06-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Ehhh not a terrible move but not great.

Alexander was on the last year of his deal and had a major injury. Wouldn't have started so tough to judge him on resigning him. I guess it will be Delmas at free and Bullocks at strong. Backups are Pearson and Marquand Manuel plus Henry can play safety. They must really really like Delmas which is good.

Derrick Williams had the hamstring and Curry must not be doing much during OTAs/mini camps, Northcutt will help us for sure. Shack Harris move all over this one.

cvv84
06-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Ehhh not a terrible move but not great.

Alexander was on the last year of his deal and had a major injury. Wouldn't have started so tough to judge him on resigning him. I guess it will be Delmas at free and Bullocks at strong. Backups are Pearson and Marquand Manuel plus Henry can play safety. They must really really like Delmas which is good.

Derrick Williams had the hamstring and Curry must not be doing much during OTAs/mini camps, Northcutt will help us for sure. Shack Harris move all over this one.

Alexander isn't a free agent until after the 2010 season. I actually like this trade a little more for the Jaguars because it was clear they didn't want Northcutt anymore and would have likely cut him anyways. Now they dump his $4 million cap number and pick up whats at worse a good backup safety who they control for at least 2 more years for roughly $500k each year.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
06-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Alexander isn't a free agent until after the 2010 season. I actually like this trade a little more for the Jaguars because it was clear they didn't want Northcutt anymore and would have likely cut him anyways. Now they dump his $4 million cap number and pick up whats at worse a good backup safety who they control for at least 2 more years for roughly $500k each year.

True, the page where I get the info only had him for 3 years but he must have been signed for four per the USA today article. Unless its just the bonus spread out over 4 with a player option to void the last year like Roy Williams had.
http://www.thenetrat.com/

Alexander is very cheap unless he signed a new deal with the Jags. So it was a good move for the Jags depending on him recovering from his injury.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-signing-status.htm

I don't know how much of that cap number the Lions have to take on for Northcutt. Depends how much is salary, and how much was signing bonus for Nortcutt. Should be less than 4 million for sure.

Cap wise the Lions are fine though, and someone wasn't working out from Ronald Curry or Derrick Williams hurt during minicamp. So good to be proactive and fix the problem now. Plus DW is explosive as a punt returner but does have the fumble issue there and is a rookie. Northcutt is more sure handed and still has some abilities. Another vet really doesn't hurt at receiver and having 2 punt returners might be needed with one rookie. We were signing guys off the street last year at Receiver.

As for safety depth for the Lions, Marquand Manuel and Pearson are the backups which scares me but Anthony Henry could play safety too. Delmas is looking great and Bullocks is solid. So we have 5 guys we can mix up with Henry,Buchanon,Eric King,Delmas and Bullocks. Manuel does have starting experience too and Pearson is the special teams guy who started alot last year. Although if we're unlucky enough to have Delmas and Henry hurt then we are in trouble anyway.

etk
06-30-2009, 03:11 PM
If only the Bucs could give up on Dexter Jackson this easily....

TitanHope
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM

I'm sorry! The correct answer is...

Eric King!!!

Congrats WMD!!! :D

WMD
07-02-2009, 03:06 AM
What do I win???

The Unseen
07-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Quickie-wickie scouting report on Gerald Alexander.

go.

WMD
07-02-2009, 04:49 AM
Quickie-wickie scouting report on Gerald Alexander.

go.
Plays Safety. Drafted by Matt Millen.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
07-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Gerald Alexander. Former corner/safety for Boise State.

Decent in coverage in 2007 as a rookie, ok tackler. 2008 regressed and couldn't beat out Dwight Smith. Then had a neck injury due to the Millen 2nd Round injury curse(Bailey,Lehman,Cody,Bullocks,Stanton,Alexande r). All on IR in their 2nd years except for Stanton who went in his 1st year. Never returned as the same player. Therefore, we draft Delmas.

Iamcanadian
07-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Plays Safety. Drafted by Matt Millen.

This pretty well sums up any failure on the Lions.

Addict
07-05-2009, 05:54 PM
This pretty well sums up any failure on the Lions.

except for the safety part ;)

Lionsfan93
07-07-2009, 02:49 PM
never really liked Gerald Alexander i always thought Northcutt was good receiver hopefully he makes an impact for our team

SINCE1978
07-07-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm pretty satisfied with the receiving corp now ... crazy overhaul from last year! CJ is all that is left but that is probably going to be a good thing given the judge of talent (over-joyed he is gone too!) Northcutt & Curry will compete for the slot imo. Derick Williams has not competed much yet as a Lion due to the hammy injury ... look for him to return kicks though in year 1. Year 2 he could be our wildcat baby!!

No love for Bullocks!? He will be okay back there with Delmas & Henry. Eric King is a solid back-up/starter in case of injury type guy at CB. He produced when needed for the Titans.

I'm admittedly optimistic by nature, but so far the regime has improved the depth (on paper). I just hope Sammie Hill catches on quickly, we could use his young beef in the middle ;o) Not a tone of faith in Darby/Jackson.

Prowler
07-08-2009, 11:57 AM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20090708/SPORTS0101/907080361/Lions--policy--best-safety-first/?

kind of paints a better picture about the safety spot after the offseason workouts.

with rookie Louis Delmas a solid bet to start at free safety -- coach Jim Schwartz actually uses a left-right designation rather than free and strong safety -- one of the key questions heading into training camp next month is who'll be the other starter.
At last week's minicamp, Pearson got most of the first-team reps alongside Delmas, with newly acquired Marquand Manuel, who started 14 games for Denver last season, joining Alexander in the second pairing. Daniel Bullocks, a former second-round pick entering his fourth NFL season, took most of his practice reps with LaMarcus Hicks as a third-teamer, though Schwartz, who also has Stuart Schweigert and Tra Battle on the offseason roster, cautioned the rotations don't mean much.