PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 clutch QB's

stefcn
06-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Top 10 clutch quarterbacks in NFL history (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d810be7de&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Can't say i agree with Marino with no SB, Good list though, of course it's missing the best player ever

jth1331
06-30-2009, 01:41 AM
Top 10 clutch quarterbacks in NFL history (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d810be7de&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Can't say i agree with Marino with no SB, Good list though, of course it's missing the best player ever

But John Elway made the list!

whatadai
06-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Tom Brady shouldn't be third...he's had as many clutch fails as he's had clutch successes. And his clutch moments were really Vinatieri's clutch moments.

TitansCJftw
06-30-2009, 02:25 AM
montana is #1 nobody can doubt that everything else is debatable...

NY+Giants=NYG
06-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Tom Brady shouldn't be third...he's had as many clutch fails as he's had clutch successes. And his clutch moments were really Vinatieri's clutch moments.

I agree. Brady is a damn good QB, and a HOFer, but that much clutch to be on the list. I don't agree!

Dam8610
06-30-2009, 10:41 AM
But Johnny Unitas made the list!

Fixed it for you. I think he means Peyton Manning though? It is kind of ponderous how Marino makes the list and Manning doesn't.

Brothgar
06-30-2009, 10:50 AM

But this is a list of most clutch QBs ever why would Barry Sanders be on this list?

Bigburt63
06-30-2009, 11:02 AM

I'm not saying that Brady should be third, but what clutch fails? I can think of far fewer 'clutch fails' (is that an oxymoron?) than times he has been clutch.

Shane P. Hallam
06-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Fixed it for you. I think he means Peyton Manning though? It is kind of ponderous how Marino makes the list and Manning doesn't.

Because he left too many games up to Vanderjagt. Wide Right!

BeerBaron
06-30-2009, 04:06 PM

Let me see if I remember this clearly....he only had 1 fewer 4th quarter comeback in his career than did Elway, good for 2nd all time at the time. (Favre may have surpassed since then...but still.)

He was also the 2nd winningest QB when he retired, only behind Elway (Favre has passed them both since then.)

And he did it all with absolute **** for weapons on offense for much of that time. Superbowls are about winning as a team, and Marino did everything that one individual possibly could have to get there. Elway wouldn't have won either if he had ****-ups like OJ McDuffie to throw to...

So to use Superbowls as the only measuring stick just got you an F in my book.

MidwayMonster31
06-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Based on Marino's dropoff from the regular season to the postseason, he should not be on this list. He has thrown 2 or more picks (CHFF's postseason omen of death (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2623_The_mighty_CHFF_interception_ladder.html)) in 10 of 18 playoff games. The Dolphins lost 9 of those 10 games.
Eli led a last minute drive in the super bowl, when anything less than a touchdown would have meant defeat. No other quarterback has done that. But this is for an entire career. After all is said and done, Roethlisberger is due to make this list. I think the rest of this list sounds right, even though Elway is ranked way too high.

tjsunstein
06-30-2009, 05:00 PM
So where's Favre? :p

Brent
06-30-2009, 05:23 PM
I miss Steve Young. Goddamn you Aeneas Williams/Lawrence Phillips.

Cicero
06-30-2009, 05:51 PM
They need to add:
83245699485: Sage Rosenfels

whatadai
06-30-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm not saying that Brady should be third, but what clutch fails? I can think of far fewer 'clutch fails' (is that an oxymoron?) than times he has been clutch.

1. The Tuck Rule. It was an obvious HUGE clutch fail that should've decided the game, he just got saved by a blind official.

2. Super Bowl XXXVI winning drive. 3 dump off passes. Two incompletes. His two complete passes, one short, one long one to a wide open Troy Brown, I believe the CB tripped himself. The real clutch was Vinatieri here. Still clutch for Brady I agree, but people make it sound better for Brady than it actually was.

3. Super Bowl XXXVIII. Very clutch, but again the biggest clutch moment came down on Vinatieri.

4. 2006 1st Playoff Round versus the Bolts. Same as Superbowl XXXVIII with the clutch, but again a lot of the clutch came down on Gostkowski.

5. 2006 AFC Championship. Clutch fail with his interception.

6. 2007 Super Bowl. I guess he was clutch there, but Manning's clutch overshadowed his completely. And you can't really be clutch with a loss.

So I would give him 1 and 5 as fail clutches and 2-4 as clutch. Not equal but close. Add in the 4th qtr comebacks he's done and yes he is a clutch QB. But because of those 2, IMO, HUGE clutch fails, due to them being big games where he lost it for the team in the final minutes, he definitely doesn't deserve to be 3rd.

Bucs_Rule
06-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Being clutch isn't just how you perform in the final minutes of big games. How you perform throughout playoffs games is clutch too. 3rd down is also clutch, its how you perform under the biggest pressure situations.

neko4
06-30-2009, 07:23 PM
So where's Favre? :p
Favre might have the most comebacks, but he probably has the most 4th quarter **** ups too

jth1331
06-30-2009, 11:46 PM
I think the rest of this list sounds right, even though Elway is ranked way too high.

What are you, 10? How can you think Elway is ranked too high? He was horrible in those Super Bowls in the 80's, but so was the rest of the offense really during that time.
Somebody complained about the lack of weapons Marino had, Elway didn't have much until the mid 90's.

Mr. Stiller
06-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Based on Marino's dropoff from the regular season to the postseason, he should not be on this list. He has thrown 2 or more picks (CHFF's postseason omen of death (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2623_The_mighty_CHFF_interception_ladder.html)) in 10 of 18 playoff games. The Dolphins lost 9 of those 10 games.
Eli led a last minute drive in the super bowl, when anything less than a touchdown would have meant defeat. No other quarterback has done that. But this is for an entire career. After all is said and done, Roethlisberger is due to make this list. I think the rest of this list sounds right, even though Elway is ranked way too high.

I believe that has more to do with David Tyree being clutch than Manning. Nothing against Manning but if Tyree doesn't save his ass on that God awful duck he threw up, Brady would have 4 rings.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-01-2009, 12:33 AM

No he meant Kyle Orton, but they couldn't put him on it yet because he's yet to prove his ******* epic clutchness. Just you wait. Lurking behind Kyle Orton's neckbeard isn't his neck, it's a ******* 4th quarter game winning touchdown pass.

Sniper
07-01-2009, 12:36 AM
No he meant Kyle Orton, but they couldn't put him on it yet because he's yet to prove his ******* epic clutchness. Just you wait. Lurking behind Kyle Orton's neckbeard isn't his neck, it's a ******* 4th quarter game winning touchdown pass.

Orton to Royal is the new Young to Rice.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Orton to Royal is the new Young to Rice.

Don't insult Kyle ************* Orton like that.

Gay Ork Wang
07-01-2009, 03:24 AM
To be honest, Kyle was pretty clutch, looking at games like the Saints game, the Packers OT, the Falcons game.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
07-01-2009, 04:08 AM
I'd always defined 'clutch' play for a QB in how they performed in the 4th quarter, specifically those game-winning drives they orchestrated.

But I suppose clutch is more broadly defined as a QB's ability to make critical, drive extending plays that put his team in a position to score/win.

Based on the second definition, all those QBs should be considered clutch performers.

But IMO only Staubach, Elway, Montana, Stabler, and Unitas, ( maybe Steve Young) are 4th quarter, one or two possessions to win the game, clutch performers.

Bengalsrocket
07-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Clutch means to accomplish something in a critical situation. Doesn't need to be at the end of the game (though the end of the game is critical).

I think we should use just 1 definition for this :)

Bigburt63
07-01-2009, 08:27 AM
1. The Tuck Rule. It was an obvious HUGE clutch fail that should've decided the game, he just got saved by a blind official.
It goes the way the official calls it, which by the rules was correct. Granted the rule was faulty (an I believe has been changed?), but he still got the points after that, and the win. Plus he got hit from the blind side, he didn't see him coming. No excuse for not holding onto the ball, but not entirely his fault.

2. Super Bowl XXXVI winning drive. 3 dump off passes. Two incompletes. His two complete passes, one short, one long one to a wide open Troy Brown, I believe the CB tripped himself. The real clutch was Vinatieri here. Still clutch for Brady I agree, but people make it sound better for Brady than it actually was.
Doesn't matter how he did it, but he got down the field in a very effective two minute drill. J.R. Redmond made the play of that drive I still say.

3. Super Bowl XXXVIII. Very clutch, but again the biggest clutch moment came down on Vinatieri.
Same as #2

4. 2006 1st Playoff Round versus the Bolts. Same as Superbowl XXXVIII with the clutch, but again a lot of the clutch came down on Gostkowski.
See above

Ya that was the one I thought of, although the defense folded faster than the French army in that one.

6. 2007 Super Bowl. I guess he was clutch there, but Manning's clutch overshadowed his completely. And you can't really be clutch with a loss.
Granted Eli was clutch, but Brady put us in a position to win, which the defense then gave away.

So I would give him 1 and 5 as fail clutches and 2-4 as clutch. Not equal but close. Add in the 4th qtr comebacks he's done and yes he is a clutch QB. But because of those 2, IMO, HUGE clutch fails, due to them being big games where he lost it for the team in the final minutes, he definitely doesn't deserve to be 3rd.

I agree, I don't think he is #3, but he certainly deserves to be on this list IMO.

whatadai
07-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Being clutch isn't just how you perform in the final minutes of big games. How you perform throughout playoffs games is clutch too. 3rd down is also clutch, its how you perform under the biggest pressure situations.

Yes, but if you can convert a bunch of 3rd downs but still end up throwing an interception in the final minute, you are NOT clutch. Yes you may have been clutch in those 3rd down situations, but if there was a clutch measurement scale, those two big ones that Brady had are up there with Romo's ****** hold and interception in the playoff games. You can convert 3rd downs all the time, but if you throw an interception at the final minute of every big game that you could have won if you hadn't thrown it, then you absolutely suck and are not a clutch QB. Due to Brady's other successes however, he's still a clutch QB. Just not 3rd best OF ALL TIME.

whatadai
07-01-2009, 11:27 AM
It goes the way the official calls it, which by the rules was correct. Granted the rule was faulty (an I believe has been changed?), but he still got the points after that, and the win. Plus he got hit from the blind side, he didn't see him coming. No excuse for not holding onto the ball, but not entirely his fault.
I know it goes the way the official calls it...but everyone knows that it was truly a fumble. No one cares anymore I know, I'm just bringing it up as a point that he failed in a very clutch moment there. Yes, not entirely his fault, but I still consider it a pretty big clutch fail due to the game and the need for not getting a turnover at that point in it.

Doesn't matter how he did it, but he got down the field in a very effective two minute drill. J.R. Redmond made the play of that drive I still say.
True, like I said, clutch, but like the tuck rule wasn't entirely his fault, this drive wasn't entirely his doing either.

Ya that was the one I thought of, although the defense folded faster than the French army in that one.
Yeah, but it doesn't really matter if the defense failed or not in the game. He had that one last chance to win it and threw the interception. The defense had no control over that. If the defense had done better then there wouldn't be a clutch moment available for Brady to try.

Granted Eli was clutch, but Brady put us in a position to win, which the defense then gave away.
True, but there was still a decent amount of time left so I'm not sure I would call it clutch really. He also had the last 35 seconds...yes, I understand if no QB can be clutch there since they were all shotgun formations and he was just throwing up prayers...but God(Joe Montana) could've done it!!!!! Being only 2 ranks behind Montana says to me that you're close to being him, and Brady isn't.

I don't know, those two fails just stick out too much for me to see him as 3rd on this list. I wouldn't know what rank I would give him since I'm young and don't know about every QB that has been in the league and what they've done. That would take some research and I do not have the time.

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-01-2009, 11:31 AM

also, how many QB's aren't "clutch" because of their defense letting them down?

Bigburt63
07-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I know it goes the way the official calls it...but everyone knows that it was truly a fumble. No one cares anymore I know, I'm just bringing it up as a point that he failed in a very clutch moment there. Yes, not entirely his fault, but I still consider it a pretty big clutch fail due to the game and the need for not getting a turnover at that point in it.
But according to the rule at the time, it wasn't a fumble. Nitpicking, but I see your point.

True, like I said, clutch, but like the tuck rule wasn't entirely his fault, this drive wasn't entirely his doing either.
No QB is ever entirely responsible for the result of a drive/'clutch' situation, that's why they call it the ultimate team sport

Yeah, but it doesn't really matter if the defense failed or not in the game. He had that one last chance to win it and threw the interception. The defense had no control over that. If the defense had done better then there wouldn't be a clutch moment available for Brady to try.
I'm not saying he didn't deliver, just more frustration that the defense cost us that game.

True, but there was still a decent amount of time left so I'm not sure I would call it clutch really. He also had the last 35 seconds...yes, I understand if no QB can be clutch there since they were all shotgun formations and he was just throwing up prayers...but God(Joe Montana) could've done it!!!!! Being only 2 ranks behind Montana says to me that you're close to being him, and Brady isn't.
I think it was like 28 seconds, and there isn't much u can do when you need a touchdown in that situation, backed up in your own zone.

I don't know, those two fails just stick out too much for me to see him as 3rd on this list. I wouldn't know what rank I would give him since I'm young and don't know about every QB that has been in the league and what they've done. That would take some research and I do not have the time.

I still wouldn't call the tuck play a fail, as we still retained possession after the play and ended up winning the game in overtime.

bigbluedefense
07-02-2009, 07:58 AM
I don't understand why there is so much Tom Brady hate on this website. From an unbiased point of view, its quite ridiculous to be honest.

I hate the douche too, but to say he's not clutch is just foolish.

Sure, he didn't convert all of them. Who did? Name me one guy. People who remember Montana will tell you he didn't convert all of them either. Its ridiculous to say he's not clutch because he had many unclutch moments to go along with his clutch moments.

Every great qb did. Brady made the big plays in the biggest moments most of the time. Thats what makes a qb clutch. Nobody cares about those 4th quarter comebacks in the regular season.

Nobody ever will. Its what you do in the playoffs that defines your career. Its what makes Montana better than Elway. Its why Marino isn't considered the greatest qb of all time.

Tom Brady is clutch. End of story.

Boston
07-02-2009, 12:43 PM

The reading on the Clutch-o-Meter is dangerously high!

NBA
07-02-2009, 12:46 PM
McNabb is the worst QB in clutch scenarios of all time.
That is all.

wonderbredd24
07-02-2009, 02:09 PM
All this complaining about Brady and Marino, but Steve Young gets a free pass?

Yea, he has a ring... on what might have been the most ridiculously stacked team in NFL history

whatadai
07-02-2009, 02:52 PM
The reading on the Clutch-o-Meter is dangerously high!

Same with the Bold-o-Meter. =]

Ness
07-03-2009, 12:29 AM
All this complaining about Brady and Marino, but Steve Young gets a free pass?

Yea, he has a ring... on what might have been the most ridiculously stacked team in NFL history

Regardless, he still had to actually perform and make all of the necessary throws. That 1994 team didn't even start out that great. It wasn't until they faced the Lions that year that everything turned around. Steve Young has had quite a few notable clutch performances. Not as many as Joe Montana, but he's had his fair share. It wasn't about him just getting a Super Bowl ring. I don't see why he gets discredited. He had the same players on offense in 1992 and 1993 (the only notable addition was William Floyd but his impact wasn't that huge), but just finally got over the hump in 1994. Really, it was our defense that was responsible for putting Steve Young and the offense in bad situations against the previous two NFC championship games against the Cowboys.

Mr. Stiller
07-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Regardless, he still had to actually perform and make all of the necessary throws. That 1994 team didn't even start out that great. It wasn't until they faced the Lions that year that everything turned around. Steve Young has had quite a few notable clutch performances. Not as many as Joe Montana, but he's had his fair share. It wasn't about him just getting a Super Bowl ring. I don't see why he gets discredited. He had the same players on offense in 1992 and 1993 (the only notable addition was William Floyd but his impact wasn't that huge), but just finally got over the hump in 1994. Really, it was our defense that was responsible for putting Steve Young and the offense in bad situations against the previous two NFC championship games against the Cowboys.

It's been a while But I remember Steve Young toss a ridiculous pass between 3 defenders to Terell Owens. How it got through I have no idea but it was the most insane pass I've ever seen.

Ness
07-03-2009, 04:37 AM
It's been a while But I remember Steve Young toss a ridiculous pass between 3 defenders to Terell Owens. How it got through I have no idea but it was the most insane pass I've ever seen.

Yes, it was the 1998 NFC Wild Card game against the Green Bay Packers at Candlestick Park here in San Francisco. Steve Young threw a pass to Terrell Owens (who had probably the worst day out of any starting wide receiver I've ever seen with four dropped passes and a fumble) for a 25 yard touchdown with three seconds remaining. That is a clutch performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3C4P9O20Qk&feature=related

fenikz
07-03-2009, 06:18 AM
Where is kurt warner

wonderbredd24
07-03-2009, 09:27 AM

The offense was basically the same, but they added a bunch of insanely good mercenaries to that defense for that year like Deion Sanders and Ken Norton Jr. The team was absolutely loaded on both sides of the ball.

Ness
07-03-2009, 03:06 PM
The offense was basically the same, but they added a bunch of insanely good mercenaries to that defense for that year like Deion Sanders and Ken Norton Jr. The team was absolutely loaded on both sides of the ball.

Yes it was...but what is your point? What does that have to do with Steve Young being considered a clutch quarterback or not?

yourfavestoner
07-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I don't understand why there is so much Tom Brady hate on this website. From an unbiased point of view, its quite ridiculous to be honest.

I hate the douche too, but to say he's not clutch is just foolish.

Sure, he didn't convert all of them. Who did? Name me one guy. People who remember Montana will tell you he didn't convert all of them either. Its ridiculous to say he's not clutch because he had many unclutch moments to go along with his clutch moments.

Every great qb did. Brady made the big plays in the biggest moments most of the time. Thats what makes a qb clutch. Nobody cares about those 4th quarter comebacks in the regular season.

Nobody ever will. Its what you do in the playoffs that defines your career. Its what makes Montana better than Elway. Its why Marino isn't considered the greatest qb of all time.

Tom Brady is clutch. End of story.

Because everything that Tom Brady has accomplished is the result of the amazing system, coaches, and defense he's had in his career. Nevermind the fact that Bill Belichick was 5-13 and well on his way to getting fired as the head coach in New England before Tom Brady took over the starting job and basically saved the franchise.

Burger
07-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Clutch is not real, clutch is basicly resurrection after failure. Clutch situations are never needed or shouldnt determine talent of player. If Brady didnt keep ******* up in Tuck Rule, he wouldnt of needed Adam Vinaterri to save his ass. Marino never had anybody to save him in the post season.

Ness
07-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Clutch is not real, clutch is basicly resurrection after failure. Clutch situations are never needed or shouldnt determine talent of player. If Brady didnt keep ******* up in Tuck Rule, he wouldnt of needed Adam Vinaterri to save his ass. Marino never had anybody to save him in the post season.

It's still a good trait to have. Not losing your nerve. And it is apparent in some players at the quarterback position. Every quarterback, no matter how good they are, is going to have a really bad game every so often. It's how you finish after you start that can add to your legacy or subtract from it.