PDA

View Full Version : Why the Baltimore Ravens DON'T Need a Pro Bowl WR.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm hearing a lot of hate and critisism on Ozzie Newsome and the rest of the Front Office for not trading for Boldin or Marshall, but honestly, The Ravens went to the AFCCG last year with Mason as there only go to guy. This year, everyone is returning healthy, we'll have Joe Flacco back with a year under his belt and a lot more confortable. HE ALONE will make the WR corps 5x times. We have Demetrius Williams coming back at full strength, Clayton returning for his 2nd year with Flacco, and Marcus Smith who is impressing in the OTA's; throw in Mason and thats a group of 4 WR's and is better than last years. They will also use Heap in the passing game more often so thats ahuge improvement, cause I believe that he can be our best reciever when he is at the top of his game. Plus, we'll have McGahee back, hopefully healthy, Ray Rice has gotten alot better, so the run game will be top notch. We added Michael Oher and Matt Birk, so the offensive line won't be a problem. And of course, the defense will be rock solid so I can't see why we aren't making the playoffs without a big play WR. Sure its a need, but when you look at how the Ravens play football, a elite WR is a luxury. They need possesion WR's, guys who convert third downs, in my mind, Demetrius Williams is a luxury. If he can stay healthy look for him and Flacco to abuse defense's when they have 7-8 in the box. All in all, I think next year will be huge for the Ravens. It all starts with Joe Flacco, if he can make good throws, and really improve his game, they will contend easily. I think alot if also riding on Michael Oher and how he will adjust to the speed of NFL rushers. On Special Teams, I think Ladarius Webb will be a stud, whether he is a returner or gunner, I think the guy will be a stud one way or another. Chris Carr will be a great returner, I don't see Figurs getting much opportunities. I think the returners will go in order like this - Carr, Webb, Zbikowski, THEN Figurs. I actually can't see Figurs making the roster, unless he is the 5th WR.

My before Training Camp predictions -

Baltimore Ravens vs Kansas City Chiefs - W

San Diego Chargers vs Baltimore Ravens - W

Baltimore Ravens vs Cleveland Browns - W

New England Patriots vs Baltimore Ravens - L

Baltimore Ravens vs Cincinnati Bengals - L

Minnesota Vikings vs Baltimore Ravens - L

Baltimore Ravens vs Denver Broncos - W

Cincinnati Bengals vs Baltimore Ravens - W

Cleveland Browns vs Baltimore Ravens - W

Baltimore Ravens vs Indianapolis Colts - L

Baltimore Ravens vs Pittsburgh Steelers - W

Green Bay Packers vs Baltimore Ravens - W

Baltimore Ravens vs Detroit Lions - W

Baltimore Ravens vs Chicago Bears - W

Pittsburgh Steelers vs Baltimore Ravens - L

Oakland Raiders vs Baltimore Ravens - W

It's a pretty cake schedule if you ask me.

Ravens1991
07-03-2009, 09:09 PM
good point, obviously we will do well w/ the WR we got now. But getting a pro bowl WR makes our offense extremly dynamic and unpredictable. I think it would get us over the hump and we would be the favorite of our division even though we lost to PITT 3 times.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Yes, adding an elite WR would definetly take the Ravens to another level, but I still think it isn't worth trading high draft choices for.

Ravens1991
07-03-2009, 09:59 PM
I agree I was iffy on bringing in Boldin for a high draft pick. But if we could get Marshall for a 1st I say go for it. He can play and is still young

EdReedUnstoppable
07-05-2009, 01:45 AM
From everything I've heard Marcus Smith is doing anything but impressing at offseason camps. The 2 names I hear for the #3 spot are Kelley Washington and Demetrius Williams.

I'd like to point this out though, we got to he AFCCG without a true #1 AND LOST! The point is not to get to AFCCG's its to get to Super Bowls and win them, a #1 WR would have made us a much better team then we are right now. That said Im not overly pissed about missing out on those 2 guys, Im more pissed about not trying to draft a guy to be a future #1 like a Kenny Britt.

wicket
07-05-2009, 02:19 AM
I've been over this with my roommate who is a ravens fan, I think they should trade for marshall who might not even cost a first due to his legl problems and unhappiness.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-05-2009, 07:52 AM
I've been over this with my roommate who is a ravens fan, I think they should trade for marshall who might not even cost a first due to his legl problems and unhappiness.

If that is the case, they probably would have traded for him by now, but remember, he wants a new contract, and the Ravens still have to give Suggs, Gaither and soon, Ngata all new contracts. So, it may be easy to get him, but they gotta lock him up longterm as well.

wicket
07-05-2009, 08:02 AM
If that is the case, they probably would have traded for him by now, but remember, he wants a new contract, and the Ravens still have to give Suggs, Gaither and soon, Ngata all new contracts. So, it may be easy to get him, but they gotta lock him up longterm as well.

thats just the curse of having good players, besides that you lot have some caproom and dont have many big needs in free agency in the upcoming years if you extend those guys.
Seriously, imo you guys just need 1 primary receiver to be over the top (and perhaps a te in next years draft).

Ravens1991
07-05-2009, 10:12 AM
From everything I've heard Marcus Smith is doing anything but impressing at offseason camps. The 2 names I hear for the #3 spot are Kelley Washington and Demetrius Williams.

I'd like to point this out though, we got to he AFCCG without a true #1 AND LOST! The point is not to get to AFCCG's its to get to Super Bowls and win them, a #1 WR would have made us a much better team then we are right now. That said Im not overly pissed about missing out on those 2 guys, Im more pissed about not trying to draft a guy to be a future #1 like a Kenny Britt.

Really I heard the opposite with Smith.

And that is a good point in your second paragraph a true #1 is our biggest glaring weakness and getting a true #1 and a vertical threat would give us another dimension in the passing game.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Really I heard the opposite with Smith.

And that is a good point in your second paragraph a true #1 is our biggest glaring weakness and getting a true #1 and a vertical threat would give us another dimension in the passing game.

I remember hearing in the first couple days of OTA's that he was doing ok, but I've heard nothing but negative stuff about him since then. The guy I've heard the most positive stuff about is Kelley Washington which worries me because Washington does absolutely nothing on gameday when the games matter. Hopefully D Will can stay healthy and realize his potential, because I still think he could be dominant.

ChewyRaven318
07-05-2009, 07:35 PM
So, uh..why do I not buy that Williams is fully healthy? He's been a walking injury since '07, so I'm not convinced until I see it on the field. I would LOVE to see him return to his rookie days where he showed some brilliance, but unless I see it on the field, I can't buy into it yet. I'm a fan, don't get me wrong, two years in a row of being a walking gameday inactive just doesn't convince me.

Other than that, the WR depth is shoddy at best..I'm personally hoping Clayton can build on some of the great stuff he did last season when Flacco got the ball to him. However, I still think the right move was made to get Oher and not a rook at WO..it all starts in the trenches, fellas.

Ravens1991
07-05-2009, 09:04 PM
I agree w/ what you said. Oher was a better pick then a WR at that spot.

I know we all love Dwill but I think we severly overrated him. Reports are he gained 10 pounds of muscle so hopefully that helps hims not get hurt in the season

lordquas
07-06-2009, 03:23 PM
dez bryant