PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Edwards

DI
03-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Well, I'm sure all of you have heard that we have interest in him. What would you think about signing him? I know he played ILB for the Chargers in the 3-4 but do you think he'd be a good fit at OLB in the 4-3? Me, personally, I'd love to add him at like a 2 year contract. He's still a very active and smart player who racked up 140 tackles last year. I say sign him.

ricky bobby
03-09-2007, 07:32 AM
He's way too old and I can't seem to look past that. Rumors are that we aren't the only ones interested. I believe that the Chiefs are much more interested and will likely be the destination. He is also looking for a huge contract.

Jughead10
03-09-2007, 08:05 AM
If we don't make a splash in FA anywhere else. I wouldn't mind a 1 year 4 million dollar deal. I doubt he would take it. But I can't see any negatives to that scenario. Althought a signing like that I would only make after the draft. See what happens with the draft first. Someone like Poz is probably ready to start immediately. It would be a shame to sign Edwards and then possibly have somoene like Poz on the bench.

bigbluedefense
03-09-2007, 08:28 AM
If he wants to put Edwards at SAM then I can see it working. Thats the only way I see it working out well.

We can use Edwards as our 1st and 2nd down SAM, and in our nickel package we can make him our SAM and put Wilkinson at WILL for maximal pass coverage. This can work because Edwards has experience calling plays, so we can use him in that role in the nickel.

Then we can use Pierce as a 2 down run thumper, because his pass coverage isn't spectacular, and we maximize the productivity of our LB corps.

This would also allow us to slowly bring Kiwi into his new hybrid role, and we'd have a nice rotation.

The only scary thing is

1. He probably wants alot of money
2. He's old and could break down despite no indications

Jughead10
03-09-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure Donnie could play on the strongside. He is kind of undersized in that role. Although he was kind of undersized for MLB in a 3-4 but played that well anyway. I would put him on weakside.

bigbluedefense
03-09-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure Donnie could play on the strongside. He is kind of undersized in that role. Although he was kind of undersized for MLB in a 3-4 but played that well anyway. I would put him on weakside.

I think his strong suit is coverage though. He was the guy they put on TEs. I think in our defense, he would be suited best for SAM, especially with his age looming over his head.

I know he's undersized, but when youre lining up behind Strahan, you can get away with it. RBs won't get past Strahan anyway.

joepas171
03-09-2007, 12:42 PM
maybe after the draft, maybe short term...

we certainly do not NEED DONNIE EDWARDS (good solid player that he is) today.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Kiss Donnie Edwards goodbye, he just signed with the Chiefs, to a three-year, $13.5 million deal including $7.5 million guaranteed.

Thoughts on the deal?

Damix
03-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Probably structured so he never sees the 3rd year