PDA

View Full Version : SportingNews Projected Records for New Coaches

BeerBaron
07-04-2009, 08:20 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-06-29/11-new-nfl-head-coaches-means-11-different-predictions-for-09

Pretty slow time of the offseason so I thought I'd post this up to get some discussion going....

Here is basically the gist of it for those who don't want to read the whole thing:

Rex Ryan - NY Jets: 7-9
Eric Mangini - Cleveland: 6-10
Jim Caldwell - Indy: 10-6 (I think...)
Josh McDaniels - Denver: 4-12
Todd Haley - KC: 8-8
Tom Cable - Oakland: 8-8
Jim Schwartz - Detroit: 6-10
Raheem Morris - TB: 4-12
Steve Spagnuolo - St. Louis: 8-8
Mike Singletary - SF: 9-7
Jim Mora Jr - Seattle: 10-6

The biggest ones that stand out to me are KC and Oakland, especially KC. Oakland has the talented skill players on offense, but I have (and will have until proven otherwise) my doubts about them. KC.....well, it's Florio again, so he's riding the wheels right off of their bandwagon. He doesn't think much of San Diego based off of his past articles but does think a lot of the Chiefs apparently....

I also think all of the records for the NFC West teams are about 1-2 wins too high. The Cards aren't just going to roll over and die while the other teams of the division didn't suddenly get a LOT better....

I think 3-13 is more likely for Detroit....but who knows. It's not like he's predicting playoffs for them.

I don't know, what do you all think? Discuss!

senormysterioso
07-04-2009, 08:25 PM
If Denver goes 4-12 and don't even have a first round pick as a silver lining...McDaniels is getting run out of town on a rail!

jballa838
07-04-2009, 08:38 PM
If Denver goes 4-12 and don't even have a first round pick as a silver lining...McDaniels is getting run out of town on a rail!
I am hoping thats the case. Or better yet 3-13. Seattle doesn't have the offensive talent to win 10 games, I'm sorry to say. They have a great defense with a top 5 linebacker core in football and some solid DB's, but their line is old, they have no stud running backs, their WR's leave a lot to be desired (still rooting for Jordan Kent though) and Matty Ice may be done for. 8-8 is a lot more obtainable.

Smokey Joe
07-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I think Jets will be slightly better, Indy worse, KC worse, Detroit worse, TB better, and St. Louis worse.

The rest, I think it's about right.

GB12
07-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Terrible. Complete ****.

He clearly didn't go through and actually think it out, but rather just pulled numbers out of his ass that added up to 16.

He's predicting that only 4/11 teams with new coaches will have losing records. I guess he doesn't realize that the reason most of these teams have new coaches is because they were terrible last year.

Unless he's predicting Arizona to go from the Super Bowl to last in their awful division he thinks that no one in the NFC West will have a losing season.

Detroit: +6
Kansas City: +6
St. Louis: +6
Seattle: +6
Oakland: +3
Cleveland: +2
San Francisco: +2
New York: -2
Indianapolis: -2
Denver: -4
Tampa Bay: -5

He predicts that the 4 worst teams from last year will all improve by 6 games. That's ridiculous.

That adds up to 18 more wins from the new head coaches (+31, -13). Where are these wins coming from? What good teams is he taking these wins from? Particularly in the NFC West.

I don't see how the hell it's possible for the NFC West to win an additional 14 games than they did last year. Considering they start out at 12-12 because of divisional games, they'd have to win 24 non-divisional games for that to work. Next year they have the NFC North and AFC South.

Let's say we give them all a win against the Lions. (4) Now let's say that they split with the other three teams, which is very generous but what the hell. (10) Now the NFC South. I seriously doubt they'd be able to split here either, but we'll say they do. (18.) That means that between the NFC South and NFC East they need to win at least 6/8. No way that is happening let's once again give them some free wins and a split. (22) So even when being extremely generous and giving them wins it still falls short of what this moron predicts.

If your getting paid to write this **** think it through, don't just give me random numbers.

Hurricanes25
07-05-2009, 12:24 AM
No way the Chiefs and the Rams go 8-8.

WMD
07-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Lions will probably get 4 wins at the max. 6-10 is crazy talk.

tjsunstein
07-05-2009, 01:32 AM
This is ******* stupid. No way these teams drastically improve to this extent.

Shane P. Hallam
07-05-2009, 02:02 AM
He predicts that the 4 worst teams from last year will all improve by 6 games. That's ridiculous.

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility. At least one of those teams will improve by 6 games, guaranteed.

wicket
07-05-2009, 02:05 AM
i think the jets record might be about right, the rest is way to optimstic

GB12
07-05-2009, 02:52 AM
It's not completely out of the realm of possibility. At least one of those teams will improve by 6 games, guaranteed.
It's far from a guarantee. Since 2000 only 4 times has a team improved 6 games after picking in the top 4. It's a possibility that one could, but there is no way in hell that all 4 will.

Maybe he was thinking like you and thought for sure one would but couldn't decide which one so he said **** it and picked them all. This way he can claim he predicted it no matter which one it is.

XxXdragonXxX
07-05-2009, 03:37 AM
I am hoping thats the case. Or better yet 3-13. Seattle doesn't have the offensive talent to win 10 games, I'm sorry to say. They have a great defense with a top 5 linebacker core in football and some solid DB's, but their line is old, they have no stud running backs, their WR's leave a lot to be desired (still rooting for Jordan Kent though) and Matty Ice may be done for. 8-8 is a lot more obtainable.

If Branch and Burleson can stay healthy, the WRs are more than fine. Housh, Branch, Burlson and Butler (Im especially excited about Butler) is a very nice group, again, IF they stay healthy.

Addict
07-05-2009, 04:41 AM
Lions will probably get 4 wins at the max. 6-10 is crazy talk.

to win six games with this team there would have to be some major injury troubles for the other NFC North teams... but I agree it's hard to take serious

killxswitch
07-08-2009, 08:02 AM
No way ANY 3 of the NFC West teams combine for 27 wins.

fenikz
07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
i guarantee neither Mora or Singletary have a winning record and the Rams wont win more than 6 games tops

keylime_5
07-08-2009, 02:04 PM
with our schedule history says we'll win more than 6. probably between 7 and 9.

yodabear
07-08-2009, 02:11 PM
8-8 for the Rams, lol. Did I make that prediction. I'll be happy if we get to 5 wins this year.

etk
07-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Denver and Tampa will both get more than 4 wins a piece IMO.

Matthew Jones
07-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Completely unscientific, I didn't look at schedules or anything, just off the top of my head:

Rex Ryan - NY Jets: 6-10
Eric Mangini - Cleveland: 5-11
Jim Caldwell - Indy: 10-6
Josh McDaniels - Denver: 5-11
Todd Haley - KC: 7-9
Tom Cable - Oakland: 8-8
Jim Schwartz - Detroit: 3-13
Raheem Morris - TB: 4-12
Steve Spagnuolo - St. Louis: 6-10
Mike Singletary - SF: 9-7
Jim Mora Jr - Seattle: 7-9

wogitalia
07-09-2009, 02:38 AM
Chiefs weren't that bad last year, 8-8 in a pretty ordinary division is not unrealistic. They lost a lot but they were very competitive in those losses, should be better at every position other than TE on offense with a young team and only need a bit of improvement on defense and they will win some games.

I don't think Denver will be that bad, Orton was very respectable with the Bears before he got hurt and the defense fell to pieces.

Some of the others are a bit out there though. Hard to see some of those teams do that, nevermind all of them together.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-09-2009, 03:12 AM
I actually think he shorted the Chiefs a couple wins. I think the Chiefs are gonna challenge for a wild card spot at 10-6 or so.

BlindSite
07-09-2009, 04:00 AM
I actually think he shorted the Chiefs a couple wins. I think the Chiefs are gonna challenge for a wild card spot at 10-6 or so.

Cassel hasn't shown he can succeed without one of the best stables of TEs, WRs, RBs and offensive lines in the NFL.

Yeah, he's a decent QB and realistically there's a couple of guys on the cheifs who should flourish in the new system, but even though the Raiders are hopeless and the Broncos are rebuilding there's enough mongrel in both teams for them not to be under estimated and I can see the chargers playing some pissed off football next year.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Cassel hasn't shown he can succeed without one of the best stables of TEs, WRs, RBs and offensive lines in the NFL.

Yeah, he's a decent QB and realistically there's a couple of guys on the cheifs who should flourish in the new system, but even though the Raiders are hopeless and the Broncos are rebuilding there's enough mongrel in both teams for them not to be under estimated and I can see the chargers playing some pissed off football next year.

I'm not even all that high on Cassel, I just think their D is gonna be much improved and I think Dwayne Bowe is about to show the people that don't know that he is a top WR in the NFL.

vikes_28
07-09-2009, 12:17 PM
The Jets record is about right on. I think that Indy will go 8-8. Denver is the one that really jumps out to me. I don't think Josh McDaniels is that bad of a coach yet. I think that without a first round pick they might go 8-8. That being said, I also think that what Josh McDaniels has done hasn't really improved them that much. I just think he took the team into rebuilding phase #2. I guess all Broncos fans can do is wait and see. Ex NE coaches have a history of not doing so well. And I believe the same is going to be true with Mcdaniels. KC going 8-8 is wishful thinking. Same with Oakland, and St. Louis. I think TB will go 6-10, just because of the amount of talent they have on their team. SF's record looks good, and I would say that Seattle will go 7-9.

DeathbyStat
07-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Rex Ryan - NY Jets: 7-9-I think a bit better at 8-8 or 9-7 potential wild card

Eric Mangini - Cleveland: 6-10-sounds about right

Jim Caldwell - Indy: 10-6 (I think...)-Sounds about right

Josh McDaniels - Denver: 4-12-Sounds about right..perhaps worse

Todd Haley - KC: 8-8-Seems right

Tom Cable - Oakland: 8-8-Will be worse

Jim Schwartz - Detroit: 6-10-Worse

Raheem Morris - TB: 4-12-about right

Steve Spagnuolo - St. Louis: 8-8-Worse

Mike Singletary - SF: 9-7-worse

Jim Mora Jr - Seattle: 10-6-Division Winner

Brent
07-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I been saying it all off season for the Niners: I expect 7-9. If they win 9 I'll be surprised.

T-RICH49
07-09-2009, 01:49 PM
8-8 for the Rams, lol. Did I make that prediction. I'll be happy if we get to 5 wins this year.

same goes for me and the Chiefs

bored of education
07-09-2009, 05:18 PM
I am not jinxing anything. Chiefs lost 7 games by 7 points or less last year with a gimmicky offense, an atrocious D and atrocious coaching.

Mr. Stiller
07-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Terrible. Complete ****.

He clearly didn't go through and actually think it out, but rather just pulled numbers out of his ass that added up to 16.

He's predicting that only 4/11 teams with new coaches will have losing records. I guess he doesn't realize that the reason most of these teams have new coaches is because they were terrible last year.

Unless he's predicting Arizona to go from the Super Bowl to last in their awful division he thinks that no one in the NFC West will have a losing season.

Detroit: +6
Kansas City: +6
St. Louis: +6
Seattle: +6
Oakland: +3
Cleveland: +2
San Francisco: +2
New York: -2
Indianapolis: -2
Denver: -4
Tampa Bay: -5

That adds up to 18 more wins from the new head coaches (+31, -13). Where are these wins coming from? What good teams is he taking these wins from? Particularly in the NFC West.

I don't see how the hell it's possible for the NFC West to win an additional 14 games than they did last year. Considering they start out at 12-12 because of divisional games, they'd have to win 24 non-divisional games for that to work. Next year they have the NFC North and AFC South.

Let's say we give them all a win against the Lions. (4) Now let's say that they split with the other three teams, which is very generous but what the hell. (10) Now the NFC South. I seriously doubt they'd be able to split here either, but we'll say they do. (18.) That means that between the NFC South and NFC East they need to win at least 6/8. No way that is happening let's once again give them some free wins and a split. (22) So even when being extremely generous and giving them wins it still falls short of what this moron predicts.

If your getting paid to write this **** think it through, don't just give me random numbers.

Dude relax, it's the sportingnews... seriously.

holt_bruce81
07-11-2009, 02:13 AM
I got the Rams at 6-10 next year. But who really knows, they could very well go 8-8 or better.