PDA

View Full Version : 4th and Long

Go Cowboys
07-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Is anyone still watching it?

I think it is between Holley and Hawkins for the Spot.

Unless Montrell gets contract info like he was asking Michael for.

superman8456
07-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Eddie Moten has a pretty good chance if you ask me. He is really good.

Go Cowboys
07-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Eddie Moten has a pretty good chance if you ask me. He is really good.
Ya he is the best DB for sure, but he now has that knee injury

LonghornsLegend
07-07-2009, 02:49 PM
I have been watching, there is a spoiler alert out there so I won't repeat for those who haven't heard(just rumors) but it's been between Holley and Hawkins for a long time.

My thing is, Holley is a good WR and has skills to work with but he doesn't have a spot here, there are way too many WR's like him on this team. Hawkins has a skillset nobody else has; he could be a punt returner, kick returner, and line up inside as a 4th WR when we want to spread the field.

Holley can't do any of those things, so I would question why we would bother holding Holley on PS for a few years, Hawkins could probably make an impact this year, or have a fighters chance. I don't really think Crayton is all that much better of a PR man then he is.

E-Man
07-07-2009, 03:28 PM
I watched the show for the first time since the premiere last night, and I'm glad there was a football focus this time. Going by what little I've seen Hawkins does seem to be the best fit for his return ability, but then again Holley might offer more in the special teams coverage area. Either way I see one of those two making it. Both WR and DB are a logjam, but there's much more need at wideout due to injury possibilities.

TACKLE
07-07-2009, 03:34 PM
I have been watching, there is a spoiler alert out there so I won't repeat for those who haven't heard(just rumors) but it's been between Holley and Hawkins for a long time.

My thing is, Holley is a good WR and has skills to work with but he doesn't have a spot here, there are way too many WR's like him on this team. Hawkins has a skillset nobody else has; he could be a punt returner, kick returner, and line up inside as a 4th WR when we want to spread the field.

Holley can't do any of those things, so I would question why we would bother holding Holley on PS for a few years, Hawkins could probably make an impact this year, or have a fighters chance. I don't really think Crayton is all that much better of a PR man then he is.

Very good point. Holley would just get lost in the mix behind Roy Williams, Crayton, Hurd and Stanbach. I think Hawkins could be a poor man's Eddie Royal.

TACKLE
07-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Holley won.

What are your thoughts on him? Do you think he'll have a chance at cracking the 53 man roster?

LonghornsLegend
07-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Holley won.

What are your thoughts on him? Do you think he'll have a chance at cracking the 53 man roster?

I think he has a decent shot, Hawkins honestly had the better shot immediately because he's an awesome ST player, punt returner, KR, and he could play the slot inside on passing downs.

Few things that I think seperated him and Holley

1. Holley was the only guy with actual NFL experience...He was on the Bengals PS, so he's actually gone up against NFL corners, been through an NFL Training Camp, so he has that edge.

2. He's got better long term potential also. He's got great size, leaping ability, and some talent that could possibly develop into a solid outside starting WR...Holley who I liked better, was still primarily a slot and return man, Holley looks like he could possibly be a beast on the outside in some time.

I still would have taken Hawkins, he was better through the course of the show, but Holley impressed me more and more especially by the last episode...Only way I see him making the 53 is if he tears up the PS and were scared someone will claim him, otherwise if you risk trying to put him on the PS he could easily get snapped up(as he's already been on one PS).

Hurd or Stanback probably needs to get hurt, or suck badly for him to have a shot at immediate value, but I think he's a guy to stash and hold some potential in a year from now.

D-Unit
07-21-2009, 01:03 AM
I watched the last episode tonight and it was pretty cool. I'm fine with Holley winning. He's got some skills. If I put my homer glasses on, then he's the next TO and will take us to the SB.

LonghornsLegend
07-21-2009, 01:21 AM
I watched the last episode tonight and it was pretty cool. I'm fine with Holley winning. He's got some skills. If I put my homer glasses on, then he's the next TO and will take us to the SB.

LMAO, gotta good laugh outta that.

I wonder what his actual accurate 40 time is though, he does have some great size, leaping ability, but who knows until he starts making some of those acrobatic catches versus NFL starting caliber corners.

On a side note, even though all the DB's sucked ass pretty hard and couldn't cover, it was pretty sick the way Irvin grabbed Ahmad Smith and said "hey we need a play, go make a play" with a few seconds left, and he went and forced that fumble on Hawkins, I love to see stuff like that from players.

Well at least we know Holley will be in shape for TC, and he's got better football skills then Todd Lowber and better size then Amendola, so gameshow or not, he's really not the worst guy we have brought in for a look.

Burns336
07-21-2009, 02:11 AM
Wasted pick. Holley is a poor mans Hurd and probably not even better than Stanback.

Jerry overrated Amendola last year which is why I cant figure out how Hawkins wasn't picked. We needed a guy like that, Jerry was looking for it last year and now we pass on it.

Hawkins is a better player than Amendola.

Holley wont even see the field. Prob cut in tc.

Hawkins was 22 and the only one young enough to develop.

Stupid pick.

D-Unit
07-21-2009, 02:54 AM
LMAO, gotta good laugh outta that.

I wonder what his actual accurate 40 time is though, he does have some great size, leaping ability, but who knows until he starts making some of those acrobatic catches versus NFL starting caliber corners.

On a side note, even though all the DB's sucked ass pretty hard and couldn't cover, it was pretty sick the way Irvin grabbed Ahmad Smith and said "hey we need a play, go make a play" with a few seconds left, and he went and forced that fumble on Hawkins, I love to see stuff like that from players.

Well at least we know Holley will be in shape for TC, and he's got better football skills then Todd Lowber and better size then Amendola, so gameshow or not, he's really not the worst guy we have brought in for a look.
I'm glad you were able to laugh at my sarcasm. I thought someone might actually read that as serious. LOL.

LonghornsLegend
07-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Wasted pick. Holley is a poor mans Hurd and probably not even better than Stanback.

Holley is actually nothing like Hurd, especially not to be a 'poor mans version', their style of play is completely different...And probably not better then Stanback? Yea, because he's done so much at WR for us to gauge that off of right lol.

Stanback is a QB who is an athlete, Holley made more acrobatic catches then Stanback ever has in his life, and Holley has alot more experience at WR...Maybe he is cut, I still agree about Hawkins, but I wouldn't be so quick to assume he gets cut, let's just see how he looks versus some of the starters instead of out of football DB's.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-21-2009, 07:34 AM
I just read this story on ESPN but is this show on HBO??? I'm upset I didn't get to watch it. As an ACC aficionado I've always wondered what happened to Jesse Holley. At Carolina he was probably one of the best receivers they ever had, up until Hakeem Nicks. Actually he is fairly similar to Nicks although he wasn't nearly as big and didn't have those kind of hands. I'm glad he's getting a chance at the league even if it is with the Cowboys. I've always wondered why he never got a look in the NFL because he was one of the better ACC wideouts a few years back. I think it was his sophomore or Junior year when I really thought he was going to bust out big time the next year but he kind of faded into the 3rd or 4th WR role his last 2 years. He was also a pretty good basketball player. Shut down defender but not a great point. Better than Jackie Manuel IMO.

TheBuffaloBills
07-21-2009, 09:16 AM
I was a huge fan of Hawkins. Chances are the winner (Holley) will most likely have to be a ST player in the beginning to prove themselves. Hawkins was just amazing at every single ST drill. His speed and elusiveness would have made him into something special in the NFL at KR/PR. I thought Hawkins deserved it.

However, I do believe Holley has the higher roof, and could be a decent WR in the NFL. I wonder if any of the players has been picked up. I really hope the Bills wind up with Moses Washington. The dude was a force at DB.

Burns336
07-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Holley is actually nothing like Hurd, especially not to be a 'poor mans version', their style of play is completely different...And probably not better then Stanback? Yea, because he's done so much at WR for us to gauge that off of right lol.

Stanback is a QB who is an athlete, Holley made more acrobatic catches then Stanback ever has in his life, and Holley has alot more experience at WR...Maybe he is cut, I still agree about Hawkins, but I wouldn't be so quick to assume he gets cut, let's just see how he looks versus some of the starters instead of out of football DB's.

How is he nothing like Hurd? Good size, very average speed, and good hands. In fact, Hurd probably has better hands.

I really hope you've seen Holly play before because it's a joke if you're basing what you just wrote on the show.

Holly was beating up scrub ass arena league DB's who were almost in their 30's in numerous drills that favor the wide receiver and give the QB all day to throw.

This guy is a scrub with no upside. Atleast Hawkins had upside and potential.

Beyond all of that Hawkins is the perfect special teams player which is all either one of these guys would be if they even make the final roster, which they wont.

Burns336
07-21-2009, 07:33 PM
I was a huge fan of Hawkins. Chances are the winner (Holley) will most likely have to be a ST player in the beginning to prove themselves. Hawkins was just amazing at every single ST drill. His speed and elusiveness would have made him into something special in the NFL at KR/PR. I thought Hawkins deserved it.

However, I do believe Holley has the higher roof, and could be a decent WR in the NFL. I wonder if any of the players has been picked up. I really hope the Bills wind up with Moses Washington. The dude was a force at DB.

ummm you're kidding, right?

LonghornsLegend
07-22-2009, 01:24 AM
ummm you're kidding, right?

hahahahhahahahahahaha if he was.

LonghornsLegend
07-22-2009, 01:25 AM
How is he nothing like Hurd? Good size, very average speed, and good hands. In fact, Hurd probably has better hands.

I really hope you've seen Holly play before because it's a joke if you're basing what you just wrote on the show.

Holly was beating up scrub ass arena league DB's who were almost in their 30's in numerous drills that favor the wide receiver and give the QB all day to throw.

This guy is a scrub with no upside. Atleast Hawkins had upside and potential.

Beyond all of that Hawkins is the perfect special teams player which is all either one of these guys would be if they even make the final roster, which they wont.

Holley was on a teams Practice Squad before the show even started, if he was good enough for a team to take a look years ago he's good enough for us to take a look now, again he's no worse then the Todd Lowber's and Amendola's we bring in every year, if he can't cut it you cut him and move on.

M.O.T.H.
07-22-2009, 02:28 AM
I dont think he has much of a chance at all. This isnt the year to keep 6 receivers. 1-4 are set...and if Stanback can somehow manage to stay healthy...he probably gets that last spot. Especially w/ his kick return experience and still raw skill set. And if he doesnt then we have a lot of bodies at WR so, it still would be tough for Holley to make it.

As for for Hurd and Holley's hands. Talk about underrating Hurd's hands...most people around the team will tell you that Hurd has the best hands on that team. And no that isnt a stretch. Williams, Crayton, and Austin have all had problems holding onto the football. Hurd may not have the athletic ability of a Williams or Austin but, he's a better route runner and has more reliable hands.

Anyway, it will be fun to keep an eye on Holley...I remember him well. I didnt know all the guys but, I knew Holley. From both football and basketball. But yeah, it should be real tough for him to make it. We have plenty of camp receivers so reps will be scarce.

Go Cowboys
07-22-2009, 01:12 PM
The way I see it is if Hawkins doesn't fumble that kick off we are talking about him winning.

I think he was by far a much better special tams player and that is what we need out of the winner