PDA

View Full Version : Your team's top training camp battles?

49ersfan_87
07-10-2009, 09:20 AM
For the 9ers...

QB- Shaun Hill vs. Alex Smith

This competition doesn't exactly inspire anyone, but it's the biggest one for the 49ers. Hill was said to have the lead but numerous people (beat writers + our GM) have said Smith looks the best he ever has in career in practice. Whether that translates to the field remains to be seen. Right now Hill has the edge but i would not be surprised if Smith wins either.

#2 CB- Dre Bly vs. Tarrell Brown

Our #2 CB Walt Harris tore his ACL in minicamps in May. Considering he turns 35 in a month it may mean the end of his career. We signed Bly soon after Harris was injured and he will compete with Brown. Brown was nice as a nickelback last year but it may be too soon, if ever, to place him in the starting lineup consistently.

WR- Isaac Bruce + Josh Morgan + Michael Crabtree + Brandon Jones + Jason Hill + Arnaz Battle + Dominique Ziegler

This is a crowded lineup. You have the 15 year vet who was our best WR last year in Bruce. Josh Morgan who had a promising rookie year, has the tools to succeed, as well as being placed high on the depth chart. A Free Agent we gave $16.5 million to in Brandon Jones. A 3rd round pick from 07 who played decently well when given playing time in Jason Hill. A solid, uninspiring and mediocre but dependable vet in Arnaz Battle. The young wideout who makes great catches in practice all the time in Dominique Ziegler. And that's not counting the top 10 pick in Crabtree. More than likely, Bruce is the starting FL and Morgan the starting SE, but the backup spots are wide open. Jason Hill was our slot receiver last year and will probably be our slot receiver again, but i can see Crabtree getting some time in the slot this year as well. This is a crowded, young, talented, and largely unproven group, but it will be exciting to see how it plays out.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-10-2009, 09:35 AM
For the Baltimore Ravens -

RB - Ray Rice vs. Willis McGahee -
Ray Rice is the typical "John Harbaugh" type payer. He's got great chracter and he had a great offseason and he really bulked up. Whereas McGahee has been rumored to be in Harbaughs doghouse, he was consistently injured last year and didn't work hard. This offseason, he has gotten better but can he catch up to Rice? We'll see in TC.

terribletowel39
07-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Only real battles I can think of:

2nd Cornerback spot. William *** or Deshea Townsend - Old guy vs. his protege. William *** should be able to pull this off rather easily.

RG spot. Darnell Stapelton or the Rook, Kraig Urbik. Few rookies start on the Steelers so it will probably be Stapelton's for one more season. But you never know. Urbik could do wickedly awesome.

Also Baltimore fans, don't yall have a big battle at ILB next to Ray??

Bigburt63
07-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Patriots:
TE- Although I fully expect Watson to remain the starting TE week one, Chris Baker and Alex Smith were brought in to compete, and have a legitimate spot at gaining a starting position at some point in the season, perhaps even sooner.

CB- Leigh Bodden and Shawn Springs are expected to be the starters, but have 2nd year players Terrence Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite are looking to gain more playing time, not to mention rookie 2nd rond pick Darius Butler. The starting positions will probably be Bodden and Springs to start (as long as Springs can stay healthy), with Wheatley and Wilhite/Butler as the nickel and dime backs. Springs can also play some FS so there will probably be some moving around in the secondary....

...which brings me to Safety: Merriweather has one spot locked down, with James Sanders and rookie 2nd round pick Patrick Chung fighting for the other spot, with Springs able to play some safety if/when healthy. Expect Sanders to start at the beginning of the season as he has 3+ years in the system, but it will be awfully hard to keep Chung off the field, and as such I expect him to get a ton of reps in certain packages.

OLB- At OLB Adalius Thomas has one spot locked down, the other is a big battle. Shawn Crable has been getting rave reviews by teammates and coaches, but was hurt his entire rookie year. Pierre Woods looked ok before he broke his jaw last year. Tully Banta-Cain was ok when he was last here, but has experience in the system and can be an average player. Vince Redd, while very athletically gifted and a coach favorite (he won scout team player of the week all last year, and was highly praised by the coaches), has yet to gain any experience, and is a real wild card this year. I expect a really interesting TC battle this year at OLB, and I really do not know what to expect.

Don Vito
07-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Patriots:
TE- Although I fully expect Watson to remain the starting TE week one, Chris Baker and Alex Smith were brought in to compete, and have a legitimate spot at gaining a starting position at some point in the season, perhaps even sooner.

CB- Leigh Bodden and Shawn Springs are expected to be the starters, but have 2nd year players Terrence Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite are looking to gain more playing time, not to mention rookie 2nd rond pick Darius Butler. The starting positions will probably be Bodden and Springs to start (as long as Springs can stay healthy), with Wheatley and Wilhite/Butler as the nickel and dime backs. Springs can also play some FS so there will probably be some moving around in the secondary....

...which brings me to Safety: Merriweather has one spot locked down, with James Sanders and rookie 2nd round pick Patrick Chung fighting for the other spot, with Springs able to play some safety if/when healthy. Expect Sanders to start at the beginning of the season as he has 3+ years in the system, but it will be awfully hard to keep Chung off the field, and as such I expect him to get a ton of reps in certain packages.

OLB- At OLB Adalius Thomas has one spot locked down, the other is a big battle. Shawn Crable has been getting rave reviews by teammates and coaches, but was hurt his entire rookie year. Pierre Woods looked ok before he broke his jaw last year. Tully Banta-Cain was ok when he was last here, but has experience in the system and can be an average player. Vince Redd, while very athletically gifted and a coach favorite (he won scout team player of the week all last year, and was highly praised by the coaches), has yet to gain any experience, and is a real wild card this year. I expect a really interesting TC battle this year at OLB, and I really do not know what to expect.

All looks good to me, though I would also add RT. Nick Kaczur has been unspectacular on the field and made some bad press off it, and Ryan O'Callaghan hasn't done anything. The staff is really high on rookie Sebastian Vollmer, the second round pick out of Houston who we drafted much earlier than he was anticipated to go. He is very raw but has a very high ceiling, if he looks good and shows that he has the ability to play early the job could wind up being his.

Bigburt63
07-10-2009, 09:59 AM
All looks good to me, though I would also add RT. Nick Kaczur has been unspectacular on the field and made some bad press off it, and Ryan O'Callaghan hasn't done anything. The staff is really high on rookie Sebastian Vollmer, the second round pick out of Houston who we drafted much earlier than he was anticipated to go. He is very raw but has a very high ceiling, if he looks good and shows that he has the ability to play early the job could wind up being his.

I was thinking about putting it, but Kaczur would have to really mess up to let Vollmer, who I think is a year or 2 away from ebing ready, start. Like you said, he is very raw at this point. Could it happen? Yes, but I don't think they are as close as it seems.

senormysterioso
07-10-2009, 10:40 AM
For the Packers, I expect Jermichael Finley to beat out Donald Lee for the starting TE job.

The starting right tackle job is pretty wide open, with Barbre currently in the lead I think.

Scott Wells is going to have to win the center job.

Jordy Nelson is challenging James Jones for the 3rd WR spot.

The most interesting is which of the many options at OLB will win roster spots. Obviously Clay Matthews and Aaron Kampman are guaranteed spots but Jeremy Thompson, Brady Poppinga, and Brandon Chillar are all going to be competing for playing time too.

phlysac
07-10-2009, 10:46 AM
For the 9ers...

QB- Shaun Hill vs. Alex Smith

This competition doesn't exactly inspire anyone, but it's the biggest one for the 49ers. Hill was said to have the lead but numerous people (beat writers + our GM) have said Smith looks the best he ever has in career in practice. Whether that translates to the field remains to be seen. Right now Hill has the edge but i would not be surprised if Smith wins either.

#2 CB- Dre Bly vs. Tarrell Brown

Our #2 CB Walt Harris tore his ACL in minicamps in May. Considering he turns 35 in a month it may mean the end of his career. We signed Bly soon after Harris was injured and he will compete with Brown. Brown was nice as a nickelback last year but it may be too soon, if ever, to place him in the starting lineup consistently.

WR- Isaac Bruce + Josh Morgan + Michael Crabtree + Brandon Jones + Jason Hill + Arnaz Battle + Dominique Ziegler

This is a crowded lineup. You have the 15 year vet who was our best WR last year in Bruce. Josh Morgan who had a promising rookie year, has the tools to succeed, as well as being placed high on the depth chart. A Free Agent we gave $16.5 million to in Brandon Jones. A 3rd round pick from 07 who played decently well when given playing time in Jason Hill. A solid, uninspiring and mediocre but dependable vet in Arnaz Battle. The young wideout who makes great catches in practice all the time in Dominique Ziegler. And that's not counting the top 10 pick in Crabtree. More than likely, Bruce is the starting FL and Morgan the starting SE, but the backup spots are wide open. Jason Hill was our slot receiver last year and will probably be our slot receiver again, but i can see Crabtree getting some time in the slot this year as well. This is a crowded, young, talented, and largely unproven group, but it will be exciting to see how it plays out.

I'd add...

Defensive End

Justin Smith (9 - Missouri)
Isaac Sopoaga (5 - Hawaii)
Kentwan Balmer (2 - North Carolina)
Ray McDonald (3 - Florida)
Demetric Evans (8 - Georgia)
Ricky Jean-Francois (R - LSU)
Pannel Egboh (R - Stanford)

Only Justin Smith has 100% lock on his DE position. Sopoaga signed a big extension last season and the 49ers spent their 1st round pick on Balmer. Both Sopoaga and Balmer are considered the depth behind Aubrayo Franklin at NT. McDonald has shown to be very fast off the ball and a potential nightmare in Manusky's 1-Gap system. Unfortunately he's had 3 ACL surgeries in 4 years and will likely start the season on PUP. Evans was just brought in as a FA from the Redskins. Jean-Francois has as much upside as anyone but also enough question marks to drop him to the 7th round. Egboh will have a tremendously difficult time making the squad. The depth is a nice problem to have but someone needs to step up and be as dominant on their end of the line as Mr. Smith has been on his.

Hines
07-10-2009, 10:50 AM

2nd Cornerback spot. William *** or Deshea Townsend - Old guy vs. his protege. William *** should be able to pull this off rather easily.

RG spot. Darnell Stapelton or the Rook, Kraig Urbik. Few rookies start on the Steelers so it will probably be Stapelton's for one more season. But you never know. Urbik could do wickedly awesome.

Don't forget about Keenan Lewis for the second corner spot, although I don't think he wins it and mind end up as the third corner.

Also, the third wide reciever from Limas and McDonald and backup quarterback job with Dixon and Batch.

bored of education
07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
For KC its Right Tackle

Damion McIntosh, 2nd year man Barry Richardson and rookie Colin Brown

OLB opposite Mike Vrable; Andy Studebaker (awesome name), Tamba Hali or Turk McBride

LonghornsLegend
07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
For the Packers, I expect Jermichael Finley to beat out Donald Lee for the starting TE job.

The starting right tackle job is pretty wide open, with Barbre currently in the lead I think.

Scott Wells is going to have to win the center job.

Jordy Nelson is challenging James Jones for the 3rd WR spot.

The most interesting is which of the many options at OLB will win roster spots. Obviously Clay Matthews and Aaron Kampman are guaranteed spots but Jeremy Thompson, Brady Poppinga, and Brandon Chillar are all going to be competing for playing time too.

I heard some chatter lately that Finley could beat out Lee, but I also read that Finley dropped 5 lbs this off-season so I'm not sure if that's really going to help being a full-time TE as he was already rail thin.

Though he definately has the skills to be a starting TE in this league, he really should only be a rookie this year and he would still be considered pretty raw, so I'm not expecting him at this best until next year at least...I've always been confident he has the skills to suceed.

terribletowel39
07-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Don't forget about Keenan Lewis for the second corner spot, although I don't think he wins it and mind end up as the third corner.

Also, the third wide reciever from Limas and McDonald and backup quarterback job with Dixon and Batch.
Yea. I was just thinking about starting spots. But the Dixon and Batch one is intriguing. I love Batch and he has done amazing when he has to come in. But I am ready for Dixon to move up. He is exciting.

And I hope to god Sweed can keep off McDonald. He has been diligently working on his catching and conditioning. Hopefully it shows.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-10-2009, 12:17 PM

It's pretty much decided by now. Tarvares Gooden, former 3rd round draft pick from Miami is set to take over for Bart Scott. Ray has taken him under his wing and they have had a great offseason.

keylime_5
07-10-2009, 12:18 PM
RG and RT: Ryan Tucker vs Floyd Womack vs Rex Hadnot vs George Foster vs John St.Clair for the two spots on the right side of the OLine.

Other than that it's pretty much the game of who's healthy....Robaire Smith and Steve Heiden will start if healthy, if not then Kenyon Coleman at RDE and Robert Royal at TE.

CashmoneyDrew
07-10-2009, 12:31 PM
There should actually be quite a few good camp battles for the Titans.....
Patrick Ramsey v. Vince Young for backup QB
Javon Ringer v. Quinton Ganther for 3rd HB
Nate Washington v. Kenny Britt for #2 WR (even though Fisher usually prefers vets)
Tight End could end up being an all around battle with Scaife, Crumpler, Cook, and last year's 3rd round pick Craig Stevens.
LeRoy Harris might push Eugene Amano for his his starting OG job.
Jovan Haye and Jason Jones should duke it out for the starting DT spot next to Tony Brown.
Stephen Tulloch v. Ryan Fowler.
Lots O' excitement to be sure.

Malaka
07-10-2009, 12:40 PM
WR 1, 2, and Slot

This is a huge position battle, anyone from Hixon to Moss can win a starting job here. There's Hixon who was a big producer until he injured and slowed down and now we must pray he isn't a fluke. There's Steve Smith who has been an excellent and clutch slot man for Eli but is he #1 reveiver material? Then comes Sinorice Moss an underachieving former 2nd round pick who IMO has busted and we should cut ties with him, but he made some plays at times last year, and who knows maybe he finally steps it up this year he was a project when we drafted him. Mario Manningham IMO one of the biggest steals of last years draft hopefully he proves me right, and he becomes the same superstar he was at Michigan for NYG. Then our 2 rookie WRs, Hakeem Nicks, who IMO was a better and safer pick than Kenny Britt, and he will develop into a #1 for us in the future, and of course Ramses Barden who I was really hoping the Giants would pick up, he is like Plaxico 2.0 if we develop him properly.

My prediction.
#1 Domenik Hixon
#2 Hakeem Nicks
Slot Steve Smith
#4 Mario Manningham
#5 Ramses Barden
#6/cut Sinorice Moss

Thats honestly the biggest one we have the other position battles are for back-up positions. Maybe the only other one I can see is Terrell Thomas taking Aaron Ross's place as the #2 corner, but I don't think that will happen, I think Ross steps it up.

terribletowel39
07-10-2009, 12:41 PM
There should actually be quite a few good camp battles for the Titans.....
Nate Washington v. Kenny Britt for #2 WR (even though Fisher usually prefers vets)
Help me out Voodoo, who is the #1 WR for the Titans?? I am drawing a blank. Nate is gonna be a bit upset if he goes from #3 on our team to #3 on yalls. I think he mainly wanted to be able to show out more.

eaglesalltheway
07-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Not too many major battles.

LE is the biggest one right now, between Juqua Parker and Victor Abiamiri. Parker is more of a pass rusher, but will be very inconsistent and can disappear in some games. Abiamiri is a young, 3rd year player who excells agaisnt the run, and is improving his technique in his pass rush. As long as he is healthy, I see him as the starter.

We have a S spot battle, but it seems that the team is heavily in favor of Quentin Demps over Sean Jones right now. This is due to the fact that Jones is best suited for SS in our system, and we would have to move Mikell over to FS, which he could play, I just feel the team wants to keep him there. Demps is a young talented guy as well, and has shown lots of promise.

There hasn't been much mentioning of it from the team, but many Eagles fans feel that there should be an open competition for the Center spot. Jackson has been inconsistent tha past few years, and Nick Cole showed a lot of promise in his time filling in at RG.

Hines
07-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Help me out Voodoo, who is the #1 WR for the Titans?? I am drawing a blank. Nate is gonna be a bit upset if he goes from #3 on our team to #3 on yalls. I think he mainly wanted to be able to show out more.

Justin Gage I think us number one. Then goes Nate, Britt, ect.

terribletowel39
07-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Justin Gage I think us number one. Then goes Nate, Britt, ect.
That most definitely is it. I couldn't think of it to save my life.

themaninblack
07-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Some I can think of off the top of my head:

DT- Tank Johnson Vs. Pat Sims. Sims did very well alongside Peko last season and with Tank going back to his more natural position this should be a really good battle. I think both will play a ton anyway with a nice rotation of Peko, Sims, Tank.

SLB- Rey Maualuga Vs. Reshad Jeanty. With Dhani Jones holding down the middle for this season, Maualuga's best shot to get on the field will be at SLB. Jeanty is a great run stopper with limited coverage ability and if Rey can make they adjustment quickly, he should be the starter here. He will also see time at MLB but Zimmer loves Dhani's leadership/experience so I doubt we see Rey starting there until next season.

C- Kyle Cook Vs. Johnathan Luigs. The team seems to be really high on Cook as he has already been named the starter and I've heard he reminds them of Richie Braham in some ways. He has no real starting experience and if Luigs can impress in camp, he could make a run at being our opening day starter.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Micheal Johnson figures to battle for some time at DE and maybe even LB in certain situations. I see him having a nice impact on third downs to start out and he could possibly be the starter at DE by seasons end.

Paul
07-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Patrick Crayton vs Sam Hurd vs Miles Austin

To see who will be lining opposite Roy Williams. Patrick Crayton may the have slight lead since he's been there before and far more experienced then the other two, but he's pretty much reached his ceiling while the other two are still young and has shown flashes of being really good. Miles Austin has all the physical tools (6-3 215 4.45-4.5 speed) and was having a great TC and preseason before an injury took him out last year. Sam Hurd is just a worker. You hear nothing but praise from coaches and the media when they talk about his work ethic. Puts in the extra hours and has shown glimpses of brilliance (though most of it being in the preseason).

EdReedUnstoppable
07-10-2009, 03:20 PM
For the Ravens I'd say.....

TE: Todd Heap vs. LJ Smith

Not much of a battle they both are injury prone inconsistent players, either way we suck at TE.

RT: Michael Oher vs. Adam Terry

Michael Oher will hopefully win this one by a landslide.

ILB: Tavares Gooden vs Jason Phillips vs Dannell Ellerbe

Gooden will win this one, though I think Phillips will give him a run for his money in this competition.

#2CB: Fabian Washington vs. Samari Rolle

Please God in heaven let Fabian win this one!! I can't stand Samari and wish we would have stayed rid of him after we originally cut him this offseason. We should have brought McAlister back dammit not Rolle!!

#3CB: Chris Carr vs Samari Rolle vs Lardarius Webb

I'm pullin for Webb in this one, but it will prolly be Samari :(

Then of course the biggest battle of all at Ravens camp......

KICKER!!: Graham "God's Gift" Gano vs Steve "Superman" Hauschka

Either way we go here, we get our long-term answer at kicker and a guy who can make FGs outside of 40 yards what a concept!!! So long Stover and so long to having to waste a roster spot on 2 Kickers because Stover had no distance or ability to kick-off. I believe Graham Gano will win this battle, because not only does God's Gift have a missile launcher for a leg but he also can punt which is good should Sam Koch get injured in training camp or during the season.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-10-2009, 04:24 PM
For the Ravens I'd say.....

TE: Todd Heap vs. LJ Smith

Not much of a battle they both are injury prone inconsistent players, either way we suck at TE.

RT: Michael Oher vs. Adam Terry

Michael Oher will hopefully win this one by a landslide.

ILB: Tavares Gooden vs Jason Phillips vs Dannell Ellerbe

Gooden will win this one, though I think Phillips will give him a run for his money in this competition.

#2CB: Fabian Washington vs. Samari Rolle

Please God in heaven let Fabian win this one!! I can't stand Samari and wish we would have stayed rid of him after we originally cut him this offseason. We should have brought McAlister back dammit not Rolle!!

#3CB: Chris Carr vs Samari Rolle vs Lardarius Webb

I'm pullin for Webb in this one, but it will prolly be Samari :(

Then of course the biggest battle of all at Ravens camp......

KICKER!!: Graham "God's Gift" Gano vs Steve "Superman" Hauschka

Either way we go here, we get our long-term answer at kicker and a guy who can make FGs outside of 40 yards what a concept!!! So long Stover and so long to having to waste a roster spot on 2 Kickers because Stover had no distance or ability to kick-off. I believe Graham Gano will win this battle, because not only does God's Gift have a missile launcher for a leg but he also can punt which is good should Sam Koch get injured in training camp or during the season.

I totally forgot about Haushka and Gano, but I agree with you there as well, Gano should win, he's got more expirence and like you said, can punt as well, but I don't know if he's got a stronger leg than Hauschka.

Ravens1991
07-10-2009, 04:36 PM
good points fellow Ravens fans. I agree w/ you ERU

but one you forgot is Yanda VS. Chester at RG

BlindSite
07-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Carolina Panthers:

3rd RB:
Mike Goodson vs Lee The panthers brought in two running backs to fill in as the third back for the already dynamic duo. Goodson figures to have the head start as his speed and moves have set him apart as a potential backfield / slot / ST weapon the team has been lacking for some time.

Lee however backs a wallop, he's a massive back with great speed for his size. The team isn't likely to keep 4 running backs and 2 full backs with an already full tight end stable, so in all liklihood the roster spot will go to the most well rounded guy to fill in the role that Nick Goings had in the past.

Likely Goodson, but keep an eye on Lee and see where he lands.

TE:
Gary Barnidge vs Jeff King vs Donte Rosario
The Panthers have drafted several late round tight ends since the arrival of Davidson as the Panthers offensive coordinator, signaling a very Belichick esque approach to the position.

Jeff King is the starting incumbent simply for the reason that he has been the most consistent and dominant blocker. Rosario will likely receive a roster spot due to his ability on special teams and his knack for receiving which is yet to become wholly consistent, he can also play FB in a pinch.

Barnidge has the most potential of all three and when he came out was one of the more athletic specimens in the draft, one of those yearly come outs who shouldn't have left school. Barnidge was light as a rookie and put on as much muscle as he could but still looked good when he was playing. His receiving skills will probably be better than the other two but he's yet to show his ability as a blocker and that's what Fox will want to see.

Nickel Corner
CJ Wilson vs Sherrod Martin
CJ Wilson was a second day choice around 2 drafts ago and some expected he'd change position from a cover 2 corner in college to a safety and fill the then vacant spot in the secondary. The Team liked what they saw from wilson as a corner however and kept him around the team in various capacities.

In the second round of this year the team selected Sherrod Martin a former safety out of troy and he's expected to play cornerback in Ron Meeks newly established cover two scheme.

Martin figures to realistically have the inside shot here, as a 2nd round pick isn't going to spend his life on the sideline. The positional change and the swarming nature of the defense may prove to be his downfall. Wilson has been with the team longer, is a faster player and when you get right down to it, is more experienced at the cornerback position and with the NFL speed of the game.

Martin ought to win this position, if he doesn't he won't have necessarily lost the battle.

SaintsMan
07-11-2009, 02:42 AM
New Orleans Saints

WR:
Marques Colston is the number one target, but the 2nd spot in up for grabs between Robert Meachem, Lance Moore, Devery Henderson and Adrian Arrington. I fully expect Meachem to start opposite Colston with the rest of the WR's rotating in certain packages.

DE:
Will Smith will start at RDE. The other spot is up in the air as Charles Grant is overweight and hasn't been that productive the past few seasons. Bobby McCray was quoted saying he's going to take someone's starting spot, so Grant better get his act together fast. Paul Spicer, Anthony Hargrove and Jeff Charleston are quality depth but won't threaten to start.

CB:
I see this as 3 separate battles...

#1 CB:
Jabari Greer, Tracy Porter

Nickleback:
Randall *** , Malcolm Jenkins

5th CB:
Leigh Torrence, Jason David

I think it'll go...

LCB, Greer
RCB, Porter
NB, Jenkins
DB, ***
5th, Torrence

d34ng3l021
07-11-2009, 03:21 AM
New Orleans Saints

WR:
Marques Colston is the number one target, but the 2nd spot in up for grabs between Robert Meachem, Lance Moore, Devery Henderson and Adrian Arrington. I fully expect Meachem to start opposite Colston with the rest of the WR's rotating in certain packages.

What? I feel as if Lance Moore should have the #2 spot locked down. His outstanding route running ability and sure hands are perfect for what an accurate passer like Drew Brees would like.

It would suck if a player in his 4th season at the age of 25 posts 79 receptions, 900 yards, and 10 TDs gets benched for a guy who in his 2nd season at the age of 24 posts 12 for 289 and 3.

wicket
07-11-2009, 05:11 AM
New Orleans Saints

WR:

DE:
Will Smith will start at RDE. The other spot is up in the air as Charles Grant is overweight and hasn't been that productive the past few seasons. Bobby McCray was quoted saying he's going to take someone's starting spot, so Grant better get his act together fast. Paul Spicer, Anthony Hargrove and Jeff Charleston are quality depth but won't threaten to start.

CB:
I see this as 3 separate battles...

#1 CB:
Jabari Greer, Tracy Porter

Nickleback:
Randall *** , Malcolm Jenkins

5th CB:
Leigh Torrence, Jason David

I think it'll go...

LCB, Greer
RCB, Porter
NB, Jenkins
DB, ***
5th, Torrence

I would describe the battle at cb different.
cb1: Greer vs Porter
cb2: Loser CB1 vs Jenkins
nb: Loser CB2 vs ***
DB: Loser NB vs Leigh Torrence & Jason David
CB5: Losers DB

I also think you can at least remove Hendersons name from the list for the third receiver, he is a complementary guy who gets in in passing situations in three and four wideout sets.
Also I have to agree with D34ng3lo (or something like that) before me in that for me Moore is a heavy front runner for the WR2 job.

Other positions I see battles:
Usama Young pushing Darren Sharper for playing time from the start or not, same for chip vaughn.
The DT alongside Sedrick Ellis with DeMario Pressley as my frontrunner.
WLB, can Shanle hold on to his spot or will someone like dunbar, mitchell or maybe even udfa jonathan casillas push him.
3rd RB/Powerback Mike Bell, Herb Donaldson, Lynell Hamilton and maybe PJ Hill

I see bobby mccray pushing charles grant for playing time a bit but not to much.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-11-2009, 05:32 AM
good points fellow Ravens fans. I agree w/ you ERU

but one you forgot is Yanda VS. Chester at RG

I didn't forget that one I just don't really consider it a battle. If Yanda is ready to go for the start of training camp there will be no battle. Yanda is the starting RG if healthy. Personally I'd like to see the team give Oniel Cousins or David Hale a shot to beat out Chester for the RG spot if Yanda is unable to go.

j05son
07-11-2009, 06:33 AM
RG and RT: Ryan Tucker vs Floyd Womack vs Rex Hadnot vs George Foster vs John St.Clair for the two spots on the right side of the OLine.

Other than that it's pretty much the game of who's healthy....Robaire Smith and Steve Heiden will start if healthy, if not then Kenyon Coleman at RDE and Robert Royal at TE.

I believe you have forgotten Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson.

Perhaps you've been so accustomed to a QB controversy going into TC it escaped your mind. ^_-

=p

Sniper
07-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Not too many major battles.

We might have a nickel back battle if Sheldon Brown isn't traded. Ellis Hobbs vs Joselio Hanson.

scottyboy
07-11-2009, 09:18 AM
for the Giants its:

Who's our 3rd QB, Andre' or Bomar

Ware or Brown as 3rd F+RB

Who can pull ahead in the cluster **** of average, young WRs we have.

Various backup OL spots.

Who starts on OLB week 1 with Boley out and we'll see if Clark keeps his job.

People say CB is a battle, but the spots are really locked up with Corey and Ross with Thomas as 3, with Dockery matching up on the small, shifty slot guys

Gay Ork Wang
07-11-2009, 09:44 AM
SLB: Hunter Hillenmeyer; Nick Roach; Jamar Williams; Pisa Tinoisamoa.

FS: Steltz; Corey Graham and Josh Bullocks

ChezPower4
07-11-2009, 10:32 AM

I don't think Josh Bullocks has much of a shot to win that job

M.O.T.H.
07-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm pulling for Alex Smith. As was said earlier, he's feeling and looking better than ever. At 25, he's still a youngin and finally healthy, there is still time. I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on his battle w/ Hill. Hopefully, Alex is given every opportunity to win the job.

As for Dallas...the most intriguing should be WR. We always hear about our young receivers and doing this or that to not hinder or derail their growth...so, if Austin or Hurd outshine Crayton in camp/pre season...they shouldnt hesitate to give the best man the #2 job.

Every other position on the team seems set. Jenkins/Scandrick should get some attention but, I def. see Jenkins being that starter opposite Newman. All other battles are for either the nickel LB spot or depth. They'll be fun and interesting to the Cowboy fan but, probably not to many others.

LonghornsLegend
07-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Some I can think of off the top of my head:

DT- Tank Johnson Vs. Pat Sims. Sims did very well alongside Peko last season and with Tank going back to his more natural position this should be a really good battle. I think both will play a ton anyway with a nice rotation of Peko, Sims, Tank.

SLB- Rey Maualuga Vs. Reshad Jeanty. With Dhani Jones holding down the middle for this season, Maualuga's best shot to get on the field will be at SLB. Jeanty is a great run stopper with limited coverage ability and if Rey can make they adjustment quickly, he should be the starter here. He will also see time at MLB but Zimmer loves Dhani's leadership/experience so I doubt we see Rey starting there until next season.

C- Kyle Cook Vs. Johnathan Luigs. The team seems to be really high on Cook as he has already been named the starter and I've heard he reminds them of Richie Braham in some ways. He has no real starting experience and if Luigs can impress in camp, he could make a run at being our opening day starter.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Micheal Johnson figures to battle for some time at DE and maybe even LB in certain situations. I see him having a nice impact on third downs to start out and he could possibly be the starter at DE by seasons end.

I'm pretty sure there's a battle for the #2 HB and Benson's back-up job no? Brian Leonard, Bernard Scott, Kenny Watson all are in the mix, even though I think Scott wins easily and takes Benson's job at some point this year.

Mr.Regular
07-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Ill do the Packers again, even though someone else already gave a quick run down on them.

Tight End
Donald Lee vs. JerMichael Finley
Lee is consistently mediocre and Finley is young and has amazing potential. He started off very slow last year but flashed big time potential late in the season. He could be a great offensive weapon but his blocking is still subject and the fact that he has a frail frame doesn`t help. This one is still up in the air, I'd say it's 50/50 right now.

Center
Scott Wells vs. Jason Spitz
Spitz has probably been the most consistent offensive lineman we've had for the past couple of years at RG and if he doesn't win this battle than you could pencil him in as a starter back at his old spot. If he does win though it opens up for Josh Sitton, who the coaches love, to start as well. I think Spitz has the upper edge in this race. I'd say about 75/25 in favour of Spitz.

Right Tackle
Breno Giacamoni vs Allen Barbre vs TJ Lang
I could probably add some more names to this list but realistically I think it comes down to these three. Giacamoni was annointed as the early favourite but recently Barbre has overtaken him. Giacamoni seems to have injury problems and can't find the field where as Barbre was a huge hit in the OTA's. Lang could find himself in the mix if he builds on his own good performance in early practices especially since the coaching staff has been raving about him. Right now Id say it is at 50 percent Barbre, 30 Giacamoni, 10 Lang, 10 someone else.

Back up Quarterback
Matt Flynn vs Brian Brohm
Flynn was the backup all last year despite being a 7th rounder. It really wasn't because he played particularily well but more of Brohm playing exceptionally poorly. I think everyone is pulling for Brohm to take this job because Flynn offers nothing special. Unfortunately Brohm continues to disapoint and Flynn is still the favourite in this race. Id put it at 60/40 in favour of Matt.

Outside Linebacker
Jeremy Thompson vs Clay Matthews vs Brady Poppinga
Kampman obviously has one starting spot locked down but the other spot is wide open right now.Matthews was drafted int he first round to start, but Thompson has been lights out in practices so far. This comes down to do you pick the player with experience (Poppinga), the one that has looked the best in practices (Thompson), or the #1 draft pick with potential (Matthews). I think Matthews will take the starting spot in the end, with Thompson coming in often, and Poppinga locking down a primary backup role, but this is really a tossup and it should be a very close battle. I have it as 40/40 Thompson and Matthews with 20 percent for Poppinga.

Full Back
Quinn Johnson vs Korey Hall vs John Kuhn
Quinn has a roster spot guaranteed IMO and the other one comes down to Kuhn/Hall. Neither of them have been bad but neither of them have been great. I have Johnson having the edge to start at about 60 percent to Kuhn's 30, and Hall's 10. That'd make Hall the odd man out.

3rd Running Back
DeShawn Wynn vs Kregg Lumpkin vs Tyrell Sutton
Grant/Jackson are 1 and 2, but #3 is wide open. Wynn has the experience on the team but though he flashes has never really done much. Lumpking and Sutton are also the types of explosive backs that we really lack right now. I think we may end up keeping two of these three, and possibly all three by sneaking one of Lumpking/Sutton on the practice squad. But as of right now I'd say Wynn will probably be cut and Lumpkin/Sutton will battle it out. However this one is completely wide open IMO. 33/33/33 is the likely odds on this one.

Mr. Stiller
07-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Should be:

RG: Kraig Urbik vs. Darnell Stapleton (Edge: Urbik)

2CB: William *** vs. DeShea Townsend (Edge: ***)

#3WR: Limas Sweed vs. Shaun McDonald (Edge: Don't know)>

This will be the interesting one. McDonald is a better Slot guy but usually our 3rd WR doesn't play in the Slot because thats where Ward plays in 3 WR Formations so.. We'll See.

H-Back: Carey Davis vs. David Johnson (Edge: Hopefully Johnson)

RB: Willie Parker vs. Rashard Mendenhall (Edge: Mendenhall)

themaninblack
07-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a battle for the #2 HB and Benson's back-up job no? Brian Leonard, Bernard Scott, Kenny Watson all are in the mix, even though I think Scott wins easily and takes Benson's job at some point this year.

Yea that totally skipped my mind. Scott has a ton of talent and if hes a changed man like he says he is, I could see big things in his future.

eaglesalltheway
07-11-2009, 03:44 PM
We might have a nickel back battle if Sheldon Brown isn't traded. Ellis Hobbs vs Joselio Hanson.

True, but I think with Hanson getting the extension, and Hobbs not, that may be an indicator of how they feel. Not wuite sure though...

kalbears13
07-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I believe you have forgotten Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson.

Perhaps you've been so accustomed to a QB controversy going into TC it escaped your mind. ^_-

=p

I actually forgot about that too.

I agree with Keylime.

Not really as important, but notable...

WR- I feel like the whole wide receiver depth is up for grabs behind Braylon between Mike Furrey, David Patten, Brian Robiskie, Syndric Steptoe, Mohamed Massaquoi, Paul Hubbard and Josh Cribbs.

OLB- Alex Hall and Kamerion Wimbley are the only pure 3-4 OLB. Veikune and Bowens could compete since neither Wimbley or Hall have stood out and Veikune and Bowens were brought in by Mangini.

d34ng3l021
07-11-2009, 04:46 PM

Steltz the guy from LSU? I always thought of him more of a SS than a FS.

Bills2083
07-11-2009, 05:42 PM
For the Bills...

QB, RB, FB,

TE - Derek Fine vs. Derek Schouman vs. Shawn Nelson
Schouman has been here for a few years, this is Fine's second season, and Nelson is a rookie. I liked what I saw out of Fine last year. He seemed to improve as a blocker and as a route runner as the season progressed. Schouman was used a little more in the passing game than Fine. Shawn Nelson is basically a hybrid at the moment. He's fast for a tight end so hopefully he'll able to stretch the seam, but he's not a true tight end in the fact that he's not a great blocker. The Bills' coaching staff already said that they are going to focus on route-running for the most part this offseason and work on blocking as the year goes on.

Slot WR - Josh Reed vs. Roscoe Parrish vs. Steve Johnson vs. James Hardy
Parrish seems to have fallen out of favor here in Buffalo. I forgot what the percentage of Reed's receptions went for first downs, but it was a very high number. He is basically Trent's security outlet. He's the team's best blocker and his hands have improved. Steve Johnson is a fan favorite and looked like he could be a diamond in the rough. Hardy is up in the air still.

LT

LG - Kirk Chambers vs. Andy Levitre
Chambers was our swing-tackle for the past few seasons and according to the current depth chart, pencilled in at the starting LG position. I remember from the games he played at guard last year that he didn't look too good. I felt he was better-suited for the outside. Levitre comes in as a rookie who I think will compete and win the starting job.

C - Geoff Hangartner vs. Eric Wood
The Bills signed Hangartner from Carolina where he was essentially their 6th offensive lineman. He will be our opening day starter barring injury. However, the Bills coaches have said that they would like Wood there and want him to first learn all the line calls, understand everything that goes on, and show that he can make the right calls. Then he'll be able to shift here.

RG - Seth McKinney vs. Eric Wood
McKinney was signed in the offseason from Cleveland, where he started 3 games in the 08-09 season. Wood's a rookie who the coaches absolutley love. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the opening day starter.

RT, LE, RE, DT,

OLB - Keith Ellison vs. Alvin Bowen vs. Ashlee Palmer
Keith Ellison. There isn't much to say about him other than that I've never talked with a Bills fan who did not want him riding the bench. He's a liability in stopping the run. He's easily knocked down (I remember watching a video about this). Bowen was a rookie last year, but tore his ACL (I think) during training camp last year. Ashlee Palmer is a rookie this year and Chris Brown, the Bills' main reporter said that the coaches really like what they see out of him. I can even see John DiGiorgio being thrown into the mix here.

MLB, OLB, CB

Nickel CB - Ashton Youboty vs. Drayton Florence vs. Reggie Corner
Youboty has struggled to stay on the field, but he looked MUCH better last year compared to his previous seasons. Florence was brought in as a free agent and Corner has looked good in OTAs. Also, 'The Sex' ;) has looked real good too

Safety - Donte Whitner vs. Bryan Scott vs. Jairus Byrd
Whitner has been shifted to the FS position and Scott is pencilled in at SS. The coaches want Byrd to get on the field ASAP due to his ball-hawking skills (Whitner has 2 interceptions in 3 years). I'm not sure what will happen here but it should be interesting.

SuperMcGee
07-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Whitner will start. It's more a competition to see who will start next to him, be it at FS or SS. Scott is a pretty solid SS, but like you said we haven't had a real ballhawk at safety in a while.

Nice work on the other ones, though. Might be able to add 2-3 names to the crappy LB competition, and I don't think Josh Reed is too threatened to lose his slot role, but it all looks good.

scottyboy
07-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Should be:

RG: Kraig Urbik vs. Darnell Stapleton (Edge: Urbik)

2CB: William *** vs. DeShea Townsend (Edge: ***)

#3WR: Limas Sweed vs. Shaun McDonald (Edge: Don't know)>

This will be the interesting one. McDonald is a better Slot guy but usually our 3rd WR doesn't play in the Slot because thats where Ward plays in 3 WR Formations so.. We'll See.

H-Back: Carey Davis vs. David Johnson (Edge: Hopefully Johnson)

RB: Willie Parker vs. Rashard Mendenhall (Edge: Mendenhall)

you're giving Urbik the edge? fail.

Sniper
07-14-2009, 11:27 AM
True, but I think with Hanson getting the extension, and Hobbs not, that may be an indicator of how they feel. Not wuite sure though...

Hanson signed the extension two months before Hobbs was acquired.

Denver Bronco56
07-14-2009, 01:44 PM
As an avid broncos fan...i was a little worried losing one of the best coaches in the NFL over the last 12 years...but im sold on the new regime.

The broncos have brought in a competent D cordinator, and we are DEF. getting bigger on D

at OLB we have ayers, crowder, moss, reid, and dummerville competing for the outside backers

LonghornsLegend
07-14-2009, 01:47 PM
As an avid broncos fan...i was a little worried losing one of the best coaches in the NFL over the last 12 years...but im sold on the new regime.

The broncos have brought in a competent D cordinator, and we are DEF. getting bigger on D

at OLB we have ayers, crowder, moss, reid, and dummerville competing for the outside backers

What exactly have they done thus far that makes you 'sold' on them?

Paul
07-14-2009, 01:49 PM
What exactly have they done thus far that makes you 'sold' on them?

LOL, seriously.

Denver Bronco56
07-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Other then the fact that i think the offece will see a dramatic upgrade having a talent like hillis and moreno....and more depth at WR and mcdaniels offencive system is really promising...if he can make a career backup into a quality starter i have no doubt he can have similar results with Orton....while orton is not at talented as culter...he also isnt a big risk taker and less turnovers is always good

And i think Nolan alone is a huge upgrade and bringing in some veterans like dawkins and goodman is never a bad thind...and dawkins is a huge upgrade in leadership and talent to the safety position..and Champ healthy

Sniper
07-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Ayers is garbage. If you're pinning your pass rush hopes on him, you're ******.

Denver Bronco56
07-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Ideally it would be great to have a 15 sack type player but an OLB in a 3-4 has alot of responsibilty in outside containment and he was very good in the run game in college...may not have had big sack totals but very solid in tfl.

and dummerville and crowder and moss are all VERY intresting players in the "joker" back position as both are smaller for a 4-3 de but all are very athletic and were all mentioned during there drafts as potential 3-4 prospects

Mr. Stiller
07-14-2009, 03:24 PM
you're giving Urbik the edge? fail.

well in all fairness Urbik didn't give up 3 sacks in the superbowl.

Thumper
07-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Ayers is garbage. If you're pinning your pass rush hopes on him, you're ******.

Yeah I'll have to agree there. Ayers belongs in a 4-3 defense as a base LE who can hold his own against the run, not as a 3-4 OLB. He is not a good pass rusher and his strength was his all around game and run defense, not to mention he is not athletic enough to play LB. Just another bad move by the Broncos. Ayers would be better suited to play the 5 technique IMO.

Thumper
07-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Ideally it would be great to have a 15 sack type player but an OLB in a 3-4 has alot of responsibilty in outside containment and he was very good in the run game in college...may not have had big sack totals but very solid in tfl.

and dummerville and crowder and moss are all VERY intresting players in the "joker" back position as both are smaller for a 4-3 de but all are very athletic and were all mentioned during there drafts as potential 3-4 prospects

Ouch nice try. Elvis Dumervile is not athletic at all. At 5'11" with 4.7 speed and a god awful vertical jump (along with a bad combine overall) Dumervile isn't someone I would call athletic.

Compare that to some of these other guys:
Chris Gocong: 6'2", 263 lbs., 4.7 40 yard dash, 28 bench press reps, 38.5" vertical, 10'3" broad jump. That is an athlete.
DeMarcus Ware: 6'4", 251 lbs., 4.56 40 yard dash, 27 bench reps, 38.5" vertical jump, 10'2" broad jump
Shawne Merriman: 6'5" 272 pounds, 4.64 40 yard dash, 25 bench reps, 40" vertical, 10'1" broad jump

Those guys are athletes, Dumervile is not an athlete by any measure.

Jarvis Moss has given nobody any reason to believe he will amount to anything in the NFL. Plus he is not an elite athlete either... 6'6" 250 lbs., 4.7 speed, 16 bench reps, 30.5 vertical jump, 10'0" broad jump.

Neither are what I would call VERY athletic.

Denver Bronco56
07-14-2009, 04:41 PM
i will say you are right they arent athletic compared to 2 all-pros in merriman and ware....but at the same time moss is better suited not to take on a LT from a 3 point stance...and dummerville has been very productive and he is a pass rushing specialist

Crowder i think can be very intresting if he makes it as OLB...at 270+ and pretty athletic he will be a very intresting player to watch as nolan loves to move his "joker" around and even at times like up on the LOS

Thumper
07-14-2009, 05:17 PM
i will say you are right they arent athletic compared to 2 all-pros in merriman and ware....but at the same time moss is better suited not to take on a LT from a 3 point stance...and dummerville has been very productive and he is a pass rushing specialist

Crowder i think can be very intresting if he makes it as OLB...at 270+ and pretty athletic he will be a very intresting player to watch as nolan loves to move his "joker" around and even at times like up on the LOS

Ok then they aren't as athletic as:
Dwight Freeney, Julius Peppers,Terell Suggs, Antwan Peek, Robert Mathis, Travis Laboy, Kamerion Wimbley, Mathias Kiwanuka, Mark Anderson, Chris Gocong, Manny Lawson, Bobby Carpenter, Anthony Spencer, Vernon Gholston, Brian Orakpo, Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin, Michael Johnson, Lawrence Sidbury, Jason Babin etc. etc.

Seriously they are not athletic and you should realize that.

Also Crowder is in the same position as Ayers is, a good all around defensive end who is suited for a 4-3 defense. A guy who is not that great at rushing the passer and is good at stuffing the run and is again IMO another guy who is stuck between 5 technique and 3-4 OLB.

The transition to a 3-4 defense is a tough one, especially if you don't have the right personnel and right now the Broncos are not in a position to where they can succeed this season, they have no NT, they have no decent DE, the OLB are average and they are moving a bunch of average inside with the exception of DJ Williams. The secondary is pretty good though IMO and should do decent as long as they can mesh this season but I am going to go ahead and say the Broncos will have the leagues worst run defense this year.

TitleTown088
07-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Jordy Nelson vs James Jones. And the RT spot.

Brent
07-14-2009, 05:54 PM
if Mike Nolan is an improvement over your last DC, that's sad.

CC.SD
07-14-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't care how many fluff pieces I read, I hope Cason beats out Cromartie. Or, Cro can go ahead and have a big season to pump up his trade value.

RG is probably the bolts' most legitimate battle. Louis Vasquez as the beastly rookie vs. journeyman Forney. AJ recently compared Vasquez to Dielman which is quite a compliment IMO. It's only a matter of time.

There are also rumblings that Kevin Ellison (yaaay) could beat out Clinton Hart.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
07-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Detroit:

QB: Daunte "Get your Roll On" Culpepper versus Matt"Save our Franchise"Stafford. Basically depends on Staffords development at TC. If he's ready, he's playing. Daunte knows the playbook very well though and looks good, but its up to Staffords ability to read a D and get rid of the ball.

LG/RG: Dan Loper coming from Tennessee under great Oline coaching,Stephen Peterman have the edge at LG and RG but Jansen if he holds up,Salaam could possibly challenge for the guard spots. ManRam and Fonoti are large men but underachieving.

2ndWR/slot. Bryant Johnson seeminly would be number 2, Northcutt,Derrick Williams and Ronald Curry battle for the slot.

UT: 2nd year Andre Fluellen from FSU, Landon Cohen,Chuck Darby or Sammie Lee Hill. Yikes hope some of the young guys emerge, Sammie Lee is very raw and more of a nose, Fluellen needs to step up and Darby is junk but a starter. Plus Grady Jackson won't play more than 20 snaps at nose. Gerald McCoy 2010 please unless I get suprised.

2nd CB: Anthony Henry or Eric King. Good battle.

LE: Jared Devries,Eric Hicks, Ikaika Alama Franicse or a free agent(Kevin Carter), unless we move DeWayne White to LE which doesn't appear to be the case.

RE DeWayne White vs Cliff Avril. White is solid but never stays healthy and Avril showed some big flashes last year. White might move to LE on 3rd down and then Avril comes in. Who knows. So much influx on this roster.

KR/PR Williams,Northcutt,Aaron Brown

Bigburt63
07-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Ok then they aren't as athletic as:
Dwight Freeney, Julius Peppers,Terell Suggs, Antwan Peek, Robert Mathis, Travis Laboy, Kamerion Wimbley, Mathias Kiwanuka, Mark Anderson, Chris Gocong, Manny Lawson, Bobby Carpenter, Anthony Spencer, Vernon Gholston, Brian Orakpo, Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin, Michael Johnson, Lawrence Sidbury, Jason Babin etc. etc.

Wow, ok. I'm not a Broncos fan, but some of these comparisons are senseless. First off, using Gholston's athleticism to prove one's value at OLB in the 3-4 is not a very good argument at this point in time. Second, why are you using rookies? Their athleticism has yet to prove anything in the NFL. Third, showing people that have not played 3-4 OLB or have failed to do so is not a good comparison. For instance, Peppers and Freeney have never played 3-4 OLB. I think they could, but saying Dummervile and Moss are not as athletic as them is not really telling me anything, while showing that Bobby Carpenter has better measurables tells me nothing, as he proves that it does not necessarily translate into NFL success.

We could look at some of the OLB's in a 3-4 defense that have made it without having superior athleticism. It takes more than just athleticism to make it in the NFL at any position, but in this case OLB in a 3-4. Mike Vrable is a perfect example of this. He was/is not the most athletic guy around, but he has good technique and is smart.

Thumper
07-14-2009, 07:53 PM
I wasn't using athleticism as a measure of success, I was using it to prove a point. He was trying to say that Moss and Dumervile were very athletic which they are clearly not. So I listed players who are more athletic to prove that the two afore mentioned players weren't athletic.

Also I completely with your stance that you do not need to be athletic to succeed at OLB, I mean look at James Harrison, Shaun Phillips, Lamaar Woodley and Calvin Pace none have great measurables and they have done fairly well for themselves. The most recent example of mediocre athletes at OLB would have to be Larry English who was just drafted in the first round to play LB.

However, Jarvis Moss lacks the work ethic, leverage, technique and skill to succeed at OLB. He is not smart enough to compensate his lack of skill with awareness like Mike Vrabel.

There is some kind of athleticism needed at OLB and Elvis Dumervile lacks it, he is not fluid enough in space to be decent in coverage nor is he stout enough to support the run. He does not tackle well and he cannot bull rush people. So essentially he is a one trick pony who can only rush the passer and you better hope that no one touches him because he can be man handled and is an extremely finesse pass rusher.

Bigburt63
07-14-2009, 07:57 PM
There is some kind of athleticism needed at OLB and Elvis Dumervile lacks it, he is not fluid enough in space to be decent in coverage nor is he stout enough to support the run. He does not tackle well and he cannot bull rush people. So essentially he is a one trick pony who can only rush the passer and you better hope that no one touches him because he can be man handled and is an extremely finesse pass rusher.

I wasn't trying to say that they had the characteristics required to succeed, although I think Moss may just surprise people (just a hunch, could very well be wrong), just that athleticism is only a small part of it. Willie McGinest is another example of a big, not overly athletic 3-4 OLB.

Dumervile could be a situational pass rusher at the OLB spot, and because of lacking depth could be a full-time guy, which I would agree he is not suited for.

Thumper
07-14-2009, 08:17 PM
I wasn't trying to say that they had the characteristics required to succeed, although I think Moss may just surprise people (just a hunch, could very well be wrong), just that athleticism is only a small part of it. Willie McGinest is another example of a big, not overly athletic 3-4 OLB.

Moss may or may not suprise us, but I wouldn't bet on it. He doesn't seem interested, doesn't seem like he tries hard and seems like he has a low football IQ. Many pegged him as a LB coming out of Florida because that would get him out of the trenches and give him more of a chance to show off what made him a good prospect, his athleticism. However he has made no impact in the NFL and has shown no signs of life and I wouldn't expect a change of scheme to change Moss's attitude and work ethic. But who knows? A change of scheme did Calvin Pace good so maybe Jarvis Moss will do better as well.

However I don't really see Moss as a better player than Manny Lawson and Lawson has had no impact either. Similar build and playing styles but Lawson is more athletic. I don't see Moss making a huge impact but I do think it will be better than what he did in a 4-3.

phlysac
07-14-2009, 09:35 PM
i think Nolan alone is a huge upgrade

Best of luck. We'll see how much of an upgrade you believe him to be when he installs his "Big Sub" packages.

Bengalsrocket
07-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Best of luck. We'll see how much of an upgrade you believe him to be when he installs his "Big Sub" packages.

Lots of coaches are terrible at head coaching but good at coordinating. And failing with one team doesn't mean you're destined to fail with the next.

CC.SD
07-15-2009, 02:09 PM
The most recent example of mediocre athletes at OLB would have to be Larry English who was just drafted in the first round to play LB.

English is built like a truck though, his 40 time doesn't really account for burst either.

I think Ayers could make it as Denver's primary pass rusher because...someone has to right? It's a 3-4 there will be a matchup problem somewhere.

Denver Bronco56
07-15-2009, 03:51 PM
People fail to realize Nolan was a very good D cordinator...or he would have never received a chance to become a Head Coach

Thumper
07-15-2009, 03:57 PM
People fail to realize Nolan was a very good D cordinator...or he would have never received a chance to become a Head Coach

In case you didn't notice, he ran the defense in San Francisco and in case you didn't notice it was pretty awful...

Also he is a bad drafter and you have Ronald Fields who is now known for his violent hands...

Have Fun!

GB12
07-15-2009, 04:03 PM
He was a very good defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens. If you can give him the talent of the early 2000s Ravens then yes he'll be very good, but the Broncos have about 1/10th of that talent.

CC.SD
07-15-2009, 05:06 PM
He was a very good defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens. If you can give him the talent of the early 2000s Ravens then yes he'll be very good, but the Broncos have about 1/10th of that talent.

Honestly this might be a diss on the Ravens.

toddmlazarchick
07-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Redskins:

3rd RB: Rock Cartwright vs. Marcus Mason vs. Anthony Alridge vs. Dominique Dorsey

2nd/3rd WR: Antwaan Randle El vs. Devin Thomas vs. Malcolm Kelly

RG: Randy Thomas vs. Chad Rinehart vs. Jeremy Bridges

RT: Stephon Heyer vs. Mike Williams

S: Chris Horton vs. Kareem Moore

Da-Phins
07-15-2009, 11:03 PM
For the Dolphins....

2nd corner/nickelback- Vontae Davis/Sean Smith and Eric Green. Hoping Davis can win the other starting corner spot with him being our 1st round pick and all, but the early fav based on reports so far is Smith. Id say the the loser of David and Smith with go to be the 3rd. Green got burnt so many f'n times in ota's and minicamps.

DE- Randy Starks/Phillip Merling. With Langford holding down the fort on the other end, Stark and Merling are competing for the last DE spot left. Merling showed some promise his rookie year, but Starks was our best DL last year.

CC.SD
07-15-2009, 11:12 PM

Oh man that is some serious sunshine attitude, awesome.

the decider13
07-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Denver: Every position is up for grabs. You guys should try out.

phlysac
07-16-2009, 05:09 PM

The only team that he had consistent success with on defense was the Ravens. My memory seems to suggest that the Ravens defense has been been insane regardless of the different coordinators they've had. Nolan failed as a D-Coordinator.

The 1993 Giants defense ranked 1st in points and 5th in yards. Lawrence Taylor still played for that team. The Giants defense declined in 1994 and 1995 all the way to 16th in points and 17th in yards. They improved to 10th/14th in Nolan's final year.

Nolan's first year with the Redskins showed promised. Their D finished 8th in points and 16th in yards. Unfortunately the following year, as Nolan added more of his schemes the Redskins plummeted to 28th and 24th in defense. His final year with the Skins had them as the 24th ranked in points and 30th ranked in yards.

The 1999 New York Jets finished 9th in points and 21st in yards. Nolan was hired in 2000 where his defense finished 13th in points and 10th in yards.

Under his tutilege in San Francisco (although not "technically the D-Coordinator, he definitely was in charge of the defense) the team ranked 30th, 32nd, and 20th in points, and 32nd, 26th, and 25th in yards. The best defense the 49ers have played in the last 4 years in when Coach Singletary took over and allowed Greg Manusky to coordinate the defense and remove Mike Nolan's 4-3/3-4 Hybrid/"Big Sub" packages.

Nolan talks a great game and he may, indeed improve the defense initially but he loves to tinker and the more and more he gets his hands on things, history has shown he begins to fail.

BlindSite
07-16-2009, 05:41 PM
The only good thing about the broncos this year, is that the ending of the hank scorpio eipsode of the simpsons will be accurate again.

I hope they can scrap out a few wins and surprise the **** out of everyone like Miami did last year, but I can't see it happening.

Denver Bronco56
07-16-2009, 06:30 PM
i dont understand how we cant be better then we were last year....

Cutler didnt fit in the system...and while orton might not be better our head coach/quarterbacks coach obviously felt that orton made a better fit.

We get all our backs healthy and add some solid veterans and add Moreno

Our Oline that was tops in the NFL last year returns all 5 starters.

Marshall had surgery fixing his hip that was misdiagnosed and is working out with Fitzgerald. Royal is going to put up Wes Welker like numbers in the same role. And we added some solid veterans

The TE's come back and we add a solid player in Quinn.

And our D can only get better, we add a more talened cordinator, our all-pro Corner is actually healthy, we add a potential HOF in Dawkins...his leadership alone will improve us.

And having some tweener type players that many feel were out of place in the 3-4 should provide something to look forward too.

While i understand we lost our franchise QB, he is a gunslinger and risk taker and in McDaniels offence those traits are not what fits

Paranoidmoonduck
07-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Cutler didnt fit in the system...and while orton might not be better our head coach/quarterbacks coach obviously felt that orton made a better fit.

Is that how we're remembering that now? Cutler didn't leave town because he wasn't an offensive fit and Orton didn't come into town because he was. Cutler left because of a thoroughly bungled job of getting him on board with the new management and Orton came into town because the Bears were willing to part with him once they got a significant upgrade.

Denver Bronco56
07-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Very True...but Mcdaniels Wanted Cassel And Made Some Calls Trading Cutler....and Then When That Fell Through Took The Bears Offer Over Many Due To Orton Being Packaged

Paranoidmoonduck
07-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Very True...but Mcdaniels Wanted Cassel And Made Some Calls Trading Cutler....and Then When That Fell Through Took The Bears Offer Over Many Due To Orton Being Packaged

McDaniels may have preferred his own quarterback to someone he was going to inherit. That's perfectly understandable. But there's nothing to suggest that Cutler wouldn't have functioned in that offense or that Orton is in any way a better fit.

Denver Bronco56
07-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Well The Fact That There Have Been Numerous Reports In The Denverpost, Rockymountain News Stating The Preference Of A Qb That Can Play In His System And Not Try To Make A Throw Thats ARE Not There....and While Not Stating Cutlers Name We All Have Seen Him Make Throws That Led To Many Picks By Trusting His Arm Over The Scheme

Paranoidmoonduck
07-16-2009, 06:50 PM
And it's your stance that Kyle Orton isn't that kind of quaterback? Cutler's TD/INT ratio blows Orton's out of the water.

Denver Bronco56
07-16-2009, 06:54 PM
I loved cutler as a player....reminded me of a young Elway...

But the head coach obviously didnt like his game...and traded him

the one thing i like about orton is in College he played and excelled in a spread offence...and thats what made brady and cassel flourish....and i can only hope he does the same, and with mcdaniels liking him enough to take the trade i hope he does

Paranoidmoonduck
07-16-2009, 06:58 PM
But the head coach obviously didnt like his game...and traded him

Except this ignores that it was actually Cutler who forced the trade, not the head coach. Which makes a huge difference.

BlindSite
07-16-2009, 07:11 PM
I think the easiest way to settle this is to say that having a cohesive unit of coach and quarterback is better than having a pair that constantly bicker.

However, it's foolish to say that in any system Orton is a better QB than Cutler.

My opinion is that the Broncos will function better as a complete team IF they come together and rally behind Orton than they did last year with the issues they had. I would also point that there will come a time when the lack of talent, irrespective of chemistry will hold them back.

The team will be better, but not playoffs better, maybe one or two wins.

Thumper
07-16-2009, 09:10 PM
I think the easiest way to settle this is to say that having a cohesive unit of coach and quarterback is better than having a pair that constantly bicker.

However, it's foolish to say that in any system Orton is a better QB than Cutler.

My opinion is that the Broncos will function better as a complete team IF they come together and rally behind Orton than they did last year with the issues they had. I would also point that there will come a time when the lack of talent, irrespective of chemistry will hold them back.

The team will be better, but not playoffs better, maybe one or two wins.

How can you say that? The new coaching staff just screwed the entire team over. He lost his franchise QB who would've put up amazing numbers in New England's system and you replace him with a guy who is known for his neckbeard. Not an upgrade. McDaniels has managed to tick Brandon Marshall off as well so...

Not to mention that (correct me if I'm wrong) they tossed the ZBS out the window. That IMO is going to turn out awful because now you have a line that is built for the ZBS and you put them in a man blocking system? This will expose more flaws in Ryan Clady's and Ryan Harris's game who were both perfectly suited for a ZBS, neither has the base strength to succeed in a MBS as they did in a ZBS. I believe that Clady will make a fine transition because he has the necessary bulk to play in the scheme but Harris is not big enough, strong enough or powerful enough to play against those every down LEs in the NFL and the ZBS really helped mask this aspect of his game. Often times while run-blocking he had the help of a RG but now that he is in a MBS he will be one on one a majority of the time. Not to mention the interior of the line is tiny with 2 players over 310 pounds and 1 over 300.

They have made horrible managerial decisions too, I mean look at what they did this offseason, they've essentially created a giant cluster **** in the defensive backfield and in the offensive backfield.

Signed RB Darius Walker
Signed RB LaMont Jordan as an unrestricted free agent (New England)
Signed CB Andre Goodman an as unrestricted free agent (Miami)
Signed S Renaldo Hill as an unrestricted free agent (Miami)
Signed RB Correll Buckhalter as an unrestricted free agent (Philadelphia)
Signed S Brian Dawkins as an unrestricted free agent (Philadelphia)
Drafted RB Knowshon Moreno out of Georgia
Drafted CB Alphonso Smith out of Wake Forest
Drafted FS Darcel McBath out of Texas Tech
Drafted FS David Bruton out of Notre Dame

That doesn't even include the fact that they already had a freaking stable of running backs and the fact that they tried to keep JJ Arrington but he got injured. Then they had to release Selvin Young and Cory Boyd. Look at the depth charts, they have a bunch of average guys now who are either aging or are young. And if Josh McDaniels calls plays the same way he did in New England all of those RBs are useless.

Plus the MAJOR component of a 3-4 defense is the front 7 and the Broncos have a front 7 consisting of soo much average it isn't even funny. Not to mention they have no decent NT, and if you look at every single successful 3-4 defense they've had a good NT (Casey Hampton, Vince Wilfork, Jay Ratliff, Kelly Gregg, Kris Jenkins, Jamal Williams, Gabe Watson) and the Broncos lack that. Not to mention they will not be putting much pressure on the QB with the Lbs they have.

This team is built for a ZBS and a 4-3 defense and they will struggle this year because of it.

RaiderNation
07-16-2009, 11:38 PM
For Oakland it would probably be...

LT: Mario Henderson or Khalif Barnes.
My prediction: Henderson will be at LT and Barnes will be at RT

RB: Darren McFadden or Justin Fargas or Michael Bush.
My Prediction: Michael Bush gets the starting nod. All will get touches in the game though

FS/SS: Mike Mitchell or Michael Huff or Hiram Eugene or Tyvon Branch.
My prediction: Mitchell will be SS and Branch will be FS

the decider13
07-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Thumper, do you have some kind of internal hatred towards the Broncos? You to just be ranting on why they suck. For every giant post you can make about how bad they will suck, I can make one equally as good for why they won't.

BTW:
It appears that Marshall and the Broncos have worked out their differences, at least for now. I expect that he will be gone next year in FA. I kind of expected that either way though.

Also, they aren't throwing ZBS out the window all together, they are using other schemes in conjuction with the ZBS. There still should be lots of zone blocking.

Thumper
07-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Thumper, do you have some kind of internal hatred towards the Broncos? You to just be ranting on why they suck. For every giant post you can make about how bad they will suck, I can make one equally as good for why they won't.

BTW:
It appears that Marshall and the Broncos have worked out their differences, at least for now. I expect that he will be gone next year in FA. I kind of expected that either way though.

Also, they aren't throwing ZBS out the window all together, they are using other schemes in conjuction with the ZBS. There still should be lots of zone blocking.

No, even though they stole Dawkins, I do not hate the Broncos. I just hate what they've done this offseason and I actually thought they were on the right track under Shannahan (sp?) but then McDaniels came in and screwed it all up IMO.

I just think they're going to be really bad this season unless McDaniels can pull some magic out of his ***. Too bad too because Cutler was on the fast track to being great in this league and any time you lose a QB of Cutler's caliber you are not improving. Then add in scheme changes to an already shaky defense... I just think it'll be a long autumn in Denver.

bearfan
07-17-2009, 02:00 AM
And it's your stance that Kyle Orton isn't that kind of quaterback? Cutler's TD/INT ratio blows Orton's out of the water.

Maybe Ortons career, but remember he was a 4th round pick forced to start his rookie season. Orton improved a lot last year, and limited his INTs.

Orton will suprise a lot of people this year I think. He is a very smart QB, and while he may not have the gun slinger mentality, or the deep ball, I think he will be fine.

the decider13
07-17-2009, 09:51 AM
No, even though they stole Dawkins, I do not hate the Broncos. I just hate what they've done this offseason and I actually thought they were on the right track under Shannahan (sp?) but then McDaniels came in and screwed it all up IMO.

I just think they're going to be really bad this season unless McDaniels can pull some magic out of his ***. Too bad too because Cutler was on the fast track to being great in this league and any time you lose a QB of Cutler's caliber you are not improving. Then add in scheme changes to an already shaky defense... I just think it'll be a long autumn in Denver.

They might not be in the best position now, but they definately weren't going anywhere fast with Shanny. He had two good drafts towards the end, but that was just trying to make up for the previous decade of aweful drafting. A decade of overpaying a bunch of has been and never weres in FA will put the team in a bad position. This year at least their is in an injection of youth both on the field and on the sidelines. They won't be contending for anything this year, but they definately won't suck nearly as bad as everyone seems to think. I have some faith in Neckbeard, Moreno, and an offense that is overall still very talented. The defense will be...not great. New coordinator, new players, new scheme. That is setting themselves up for failure. But this team has changed defensive schemes every year for like the past 4 years, it's nothing that they aren't used to. I'm excited about the possibilities of this draft class and the UDFAs. They actually did get a NT from UDFAs and also picked up a pretty good 3-4 end. But we all know that no NT has ever produced after being a UDFA *cough*Pat Williams*cough*

Gay Ork Wang
07-17-2009, 09:54 AM
cause a Casey Hampton shows up every year.

are people now actually argueing with UDFA Rookies?

terribletowel39
07-17-2009, 10:04 AM
But we all know that no NT has ever produced after being a UDFA *cough*Casey Hampton*cough*
I'm not sure if this was meant to insinuate that Big Snack was an UDFA but just incase, the Steelers picked him 19th overall in the 2001 draft out of Texas.....

Bigburt63
07-17-2009, 10:11 AM

Not to nit-pick, but that defense was not going to take them anywhere anytime soon. A complete overhaul, be it staying in the 4-3 or switching to the 3-4, was needed. They were built for the 4-3, but they were built very poorly for the 4-3. The packers are doing the same sort of thing, although their defense wasn't as bad as denver's IMO.

Also, I think that Orton, although not nearly as good as Cutler, may be a better fit for McDaniel's system. I haven't seen alot of Orton playing, but if he is disciplined enough to take what the defense will give him (short passes, screens etc.) then he could be a better fit than the more gunslinging-esque Cutler. It was much the same when Brady took over for Bledsoe.

Denver Bronco56
07-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Not to nit-pick, but that defense was not going to take them anywhere anytime soon. A complete overhaul, be it staying in the 4-3 or switching to the 3-4, was needed. They were built for the 4-3, but they were built very poorly for the 4-3. The packers are doing the same sort of thing, although their defense wasn't as bad as denver's IMO.

Also, I think that Orton, although not nearly as good as Cutler, may be a better fit for McDaniel's system. I haven't seen alot of Orton playing, but if he is disciplined enough to take what the defense will give him (short passes, screens etc.) then he could be a better fit than the more gunslinging-esque Cutler. It was much the same when Brady took over for Bledsoe.

thats exactly what im thinking....he is def. not more talented than cutler...but might be a better fit

cvv84
07-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Ill do the Packers again, even though someone else already gave a quick run down on them.

Tight End
Donald Lee vs. JerMichael Finley
Lee is consistently mediocre and Finley is young and has amazing potential. He started off very slow last year but flashed big time potential late in the season. He could be a great offensive weapon but his blocking is still subject and the fact that he has a frail frame doesn`t help. This one is still up in the air, I'd say it's 50/50 right now.

Center
Scott Wells vs. Jason Spitz
Spitz has probably been the most consistent offensive lineman we've had for the past couple of years at RG and if he doesn't win this battle than you could pencil him in as a starter back at his old spot. If he does win though it opens up for Josh Sitton, who the coaches love, to start as well. I think Spitz has the upper edge in this race. I'd say about 75/25 in favour of Spitz.

Right Tackle
Breno Giacamoni vs Allen Barbre vs TJ Lang
I could probably add some more names to this list but realistically I think it comes down to these three. Giacamoni was annointed as the early favourite but recently Barbre has overtaken him. Giacamoni seems to have injury problems and can't find the field where as Barbre was a huge hit in the OTA's. Lang could find himself in the mix if he builds on his own good performance in early practices especially since the coaching staff has been raving about him. Right now Id say it is at 50 percent Barbre, 30 Giacamoni, 10 Lang, 10 someone else.

Back up Quarterback
Matt Flynn vs Brian Brohm
Flynn was the backup all last year despite being a 7th rounder. It really wasn't because he played particularily well but more of Brohm playing exceptionally poorly. I think everyone is pulling for Brohm to take this job because Flynn offers nothing special. Unfortunately Brohm continues to disapoint and Flynn is still the favourite in this race. Id put it at 60/40 in favour of Matt.

Outside Linebacker
Jeremy Thompson vs Clay Matthews vs Brady Poppinga
Kampman obviously has one starting spot locked down but the other spot is wide open right now.Matthews was drafted int he first round to start, but Thompson has been lights out in practices so far. This comes down to do you pick the player with experience (Poppinga), the one that has looked the best in practices (Thompson), or the #1 draft pick with potential (Matthews). I think Matthews will take the starting spot in the end, with Thompson coming in often, and Poppinga locking down a primary backup role, but this is really a tossup and it should be a very close battle. I have it as 40/40 Thompson and Matthews with 20 percent for Poppinga.

Full Back
Quinn Johnson vs Korey Hall vs John Kuhn
Quinn has a roster spot guaranteed IMO and the other one comes down to Kuhn/Hall. Neither of them have been bad but neither of them have been great. I have Johnson having the edge to start at about 60 percent to Kuhn's 30, and Hall's 10. That'd make Hall the odd man out.

3rd Running Back
DeShawn Wynn vs Kregg Lumpkin vs Tyrell Sutton
Grant/Jackson are 1 and 2, but #3 is wide open. Wynn has the experience on the team but though he flashes has never really done much. Lumpking and Sutton are also the types of explosive backs that we really lack right now. I think we may end up keeping two of these three, and possibly all three by sneaking one of Lumpking/Sutton on the practice squad. But as of right now I'd say Wynn will probably be cut and Lumpkin/Sutton will battle it out. However this one is completely wide open IMO. 33/33/33 is the likely odds on this one.

I agree with most of what you said. I don't get why people though say that Lee will start at TE because Finley doesn't have the bulk to block. Finley and Lee are exactally the same size. I think though that Lee will start but Finley will get alot more playing time this year.

I like Wells but Spitz just offers more bulk and strength at center. Sitton would have started at RG as a rookie if not for injuries so I think that he'll start this year. Wells is versitle and cheap for the 2009 season. After this season though he'll likely be cut if he doesn't win a job.

I really like Giacamoni but like you said, he hasn't been healthy enough to get on the field. Barbre has a strong OTA workout but I like him better at guard along with T.J. Lang. Right now its Barbre's job to lose.

Flynn shows the ability to manage the game while Brohm has really struggled picking up the NFL game. Hopefully Brohm can develop because if Rodgers goes down this offense is in trouble.

I really don't think Poppinga is in the mix for a starting job on defense. Right now the starters would be Kampman and Thompson. Matthews needs a really strong training camp in order to start if you ask me. Thompson has really transitioned well to the position while Matthews is nursing a hamstring injury.

Quin Johnson has to be asured a roster spot but I think the other one will go to Korey Hall. He's a better special teamer than Kuhn and Johnson and Kuhn are really the same type of power blocker. Honestly I'd just prefer to roll with 1 FB instead of carrying 2. We could use that roster spot elsewhere IMO.

3rd RB is where I really disagree with you. I think that its Wynn's job to lose. Reportedly he's had a really good offseason. Health has always been his issue but I could see us carrying 4 RBs this year, the last one being Kregg Lumpkin. Sutton would be a nice practice squad canidate.

RCAChainGang
07-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Manning and Sorgi :D

the decider13
07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure if this was meant to insinuate that Big Snack was an UDFA but just incase, the Steelers picked him 19th overall in the 2001 draft out of Texas.....

Hmmm...then what nose tackle am I thinking of that was a UDFA. It was someone really good, but for some reason I remembered it as Hampton.

EDIT: It was Pat Williams. I have no idea why I thought it was Casey Hampton.

terribletowel39
07-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Okay. And Jamal Williams was supplemental (granted 2nd round). Ratliff was 7th round. Gregg was 6th round. Lots of good ones can be had in later rounds.

the decider13
07-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah, that was supposed to be my general point if I hadn't messed it up haha

The Broncos signed Chris Baker, who is considered to be a player with considerable upside if he can keep out of trouble. He should step right in to the NT spot, probably splitting time with Fields. Between him and Rulon Davis, the Broncos did pretty good in UDFA.

Thumper
07-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Yes but those are extremely rare, its like finding a QB in the later rounds of the draft, sure there are some good ones but fact is that most don't work out. Also yes, you might find one in UDFA, hell, Baker could be the next great NT but the fact remains that he will not make an impact this season, and all odds and statistics point to failure for Baker.

Smooth Criminal
07-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Steelers have

WR
Shaun McDonald vs. Limas Sweed

RG
Stapleton vs. Essex vs. Urbik

CB
William *** vs. Deshea Townsend

Other than those 3 there really isnt much competition. Starting lineup is pretty much set after losing only 2 starters from last years championship team, both of who were limited in play time last season.

the decider13
07-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Yes but those are extremely rare, its like finding a QB in the later rounds of the draft, sure there are some good ones but fact is that most don't work out. Also yes, you might find one in UDFA, hell, Baker could be the next great NT but the fact remains that he will not make an impact this season, and all odds and statistics point to failure for Baker.

How is him not making an impact a fact? The season hasn't started so we have no idea what kind of impact he could have. I personally think he will definately contribute this year, as he fills a need perfectly. I'd be surprised if he didn't see plenty of play time.

I think the team will play a better brand of football, though they might not win as many games. Last years 8-8 record was pretty deceiving, there were close games they won by very few points, and the infamous fumble incomplete pass. For some reason, people think that the Broncos were good last year, and will be terrible this year. They were terrible last year too. I watched every game, and besides the opening game against the raiders, I was never really impressed with the team at all. I expect more of the same next year.

RCAChainGang
07-18-2009, 01:30 PM
I think for the Colts-
QB: Jim Sorgi vs Curtis Painter
RB: Joseph Addai vs Donald Brown (I think this is a little pointless though because I see them getting split carries...)
WR(3): Roy Hall vs Austin Collie vs Pierre Garçon
DE(2): Raheem Brock vs Robert Mathis
DT: Fili Moala vs Antonio Johnson vs Ed Johnson
WLB: Freddy Keiaho vs Clint Session
CB(3): Tim Jennings vs Dante Hughes vs Jerraud Powers
FS: Antoine Bethea vs Melvin Bullit

BamaFalcon59
07-18-2009, 01:48 PM
How is him not making an impact a fact? The season hasn't started so we have no idea what kind of impact he could have. I personally think he will definately contribute this year, as he fills a need perfectly. I'd be surprised if he didn't see plenty of play time.

I think the team will play a better brand of football, though they might not win as many games. Last years 8-8 record was pretty deceiving, there were close games they won by very few points, and the infamous fumble incomplete pass. For some reason, people think that the Broncos were good last year, and will be terrible this year. They were terrible last year too. I watched every game, and besides the opening game against the raiders, I was never really impressed with the team at all. I expect more of the same next year.

But you do have Eddie Royal. There is always hope.